A Search for Balance

By LifeofKaze

Lizzie Jameson thought that her life was perfect. A professional Quidditch player about to marry the man of h... More

Chapter 1 - A New Season
Chapter 2 - The Farewell Feast
Chapter 3 - A Ghost from the Past
Chapter 4 - Necessities
Chapter 5 - Reason
Chapter 6 - Clear Skies
Chapter 7 - On Friendly Terms
Chapter 8 - Getaway
Chapter 9 - The Island
Chapter 10 - Falling
Chapter 11 - Fireside
Chapter 12 - Changing Tides
Chapter 13 - Preparations
Chapter 14 - Rising
Chapter 15 - Watchful Eyes
Chapter 16 - The Cheek of It
Chapter 17 - Keepsakes
Chapter 19 - Spark a Fire
Chapter 20 - Memories
Chapter 21 - Regrets
Chapter 22 - The Tables Turn
Chapter 23 - The Seed of Doubt
Chapter 24 - Cross the Line
Chapter 25 - Skye's Confession
Chapter 26 - Failing Luck
Chapter 27 - Reflections
Chapter 28 - The Vernal Ball
Chapter 29 - The Eye of the Storm
Chapter 30 - Silver Line
Chapter 31 - Revenge
Chapter 32 - Fight or Flight
Chapter 33 - A Fateful Dinner Date
Chapter 34 - The Mask Slips
Chapter 35 - Total Eclipse
Chapter 36 - Desperate Offers
Chapter 37 - The Stand Off
Chapter 38 - The Final Bow
Chapter 39 - One Last Shot
Chapter 40 - End of an Era
Chapter 41 - Skye's Surprise
Chapter 42 - The World Cup
Chapter 43 - Irish Gold
Chapter 44 - Fire in the Sky
Chapter 45 - Rewrite the Stars
Chapter 46 - Brighter than a Thousand Suns

Chapter 18 - True Colours

15 2 0
By LifeofKaze

Warning: gaslighting, manipulative behaviour, physical abuse, narcissistic rage

Lizzie was in a fantastic mood when she and Skye returned from the training grounds. Her performance these last few weeks had been good - more than good, actually - and she felt confident about their upcoming match against the Tutshill Tornados. Still discussing their latest attempts at the Quaffle Cutback with Skye, Lizzie unlocked the front door, entered the house and abruptly paused in the doorframe to the living room.

Sitting on the sofa was Matthew, staring wordlessly into a crackling fire. The air in the room was uncomfortably warm but seemed to drop several degrees as he raised his eyes to her. Behind Lizzie, Skye cleared her throat.

"Blimey, almost forgot," she muttered and dropped her bag on the ground right where she was standing. "Dad wanted to see me. Talk about next match and all, very important business. Better not keep him waiting, aye?"

She Disapparated before Lizzie had the chance to object, leaving her and Matthew alone. Neither of them spoke at first, the only sound in the room the sharp crack of a log bursting from the heat.

"Matthew," Lizzie said with a cheerful voice, forcing herself to smile over a distinct sense of foreboding, "I didn't know you'd be here today. Did I forget another appointment? Because if so, I'm -"

"Who is Orion Amari?"

Lizzie blinked in surprise. "Sorry?"

"Did I stutter? I said, who is Orion Amari?"

Confused, Lizzie furrowed her brow. "He's my teammate."

"And how do you know him?"

His tone made Lizzie shift uncomfortably. "We were on the Hufflepuff team together. I told you about that."

"You did tell me, indeed." Suddenly switching topics, Matthew's eyes dropped to Lizzie's left hand, the fingers of which were fiddling with the fabric of her shirt. "Where's your engagement ring? I hardly see you wearing it anymore."

"I'm not allowed to wear jewellery on the pitch. And even if I was, my gloves wouldn't fit over it."

"That doesn't go for that necklace of yours, apparently."

"You can't really compare a necklace to a diamond ring, can you?" she said defensively, her hand flying to the topaz around her neck. Matthew knew she was bending the rules to wear it on her wrist during matches, but she had never told him the reason why; actually, she was surprised he had noticed her wearing it in the first place.

Matthew's reply was cool. "No, you certainly cannot."

Lizzie swallowed. "Matthew, please, what's the matter?"

His face hardened. "I'm going to ask you one last time. Who is Orion Amari?"

"I really don't understand -"

"Let me jog your memory," Matthew cut her off. "Orion Amari is your ex-boyfriend. The ex- boyfriend who dumped you and left you behind like a piece of rubbish. The ex-boyfriend you refused to tell me anything about, even though I repeatedly asked you to."

Lizzie's mouth had gone dry. "That's not true."

"What of it?" Matthew snarled and rose to his feet, making his way to where Lizzie was standing. He might have looked like he was still in control, but she could tell just how furious he was.

"He had his reasons," she said with a sinking feeling to her stomach.

"What reason could there be to treat you like he did?"

Lizzie didn't reply. Wanting to explain Orion's motives to Matthew, she realised that she didn't know about any of them. Taking her silence as a sign of admittance, Matthew narrowed his eyes.

"Tell me the truth. Do you still love him?"

Lizzie shook her head from side to side. "What are you even saying?"

"I know exactly what I'm saying. Answer my question, Lizzie."

"Of course I don't!"

Matthew stepped towards her, trapping her between his body and the doorframe. "Are you sure about this?"

He turned and stalked back into the living room without waiting for her answer. "For Godric's sake, how can you be so stupid to pine after someone who practically abandoned you?"

"He didn't -"

"Yes, he did! But do you know who didn't?" He whirled around and there was genuine hurt on his face. "Me! I stuck around and worked through all your damages with you! I did everything for you - I let you into my family, I spent hours upon hours of my precious time trying to get you a new contract, I'm the only one who can actually see how great you could turn out to be. And this is how you thank me?"

Not being able to meet his eyes anymore, Lizzie looked to the ground, feeling the truth of Matthew's words heavy on her shoulders. It had been Matthew who had healed everything Orion had broken, and it had been his advice that had taken her to where she was now. Pushing the feeling of shame rising in her away, she took a pleading step in Matthew's direction.

"Orion means nothing to me anymore, you have to believe me. Him and me, that's over. I'm with you now, am I not?"

"What are these then?"

Matthew reached for something that had been lying on the sofa between the cushions. With a jolt, Lizzie recognised the old wooden box she used to store her keepsakes in. Matthew turned it over and upended the contents of the box on the rug, the pictures of Lizzie's friends, her letters and all the other things tumbling to the ground.

"Where did you get these?" she asked with a shaking voice. "You promised me you'd never go through my stuff again. What gives you the right to snoop around my things?"

"What gives you the right to keep secrets from me?" Matthew shot back. "Had you been honest with me, I wouldn't have needed to look for the truth elsewhere. I worry about you, why can't you see that? You're nothing but a ticket back into the spotlight for him. The rueful friend, come back to make amends? How can you be so stupid to fall for this?"

"Stupid enough to trust you to respect my privacy, it seems!"

"We're getting married, Lizzie! My wife will not have secrets from me, especially if they involve her drooling over her worthless ex-lover!"

"Orion is not worthless," Lizzie said fiercely. For the first time since they were together, she had raised her voice at Matthew. "And I'm not drooling over him either. There's nothing between us anymore."

"Really?" Matthew said, watching her closely. "Prove it."

"How?"

He picked up a stack of letters and tossed them Lizzie's way. "Burn them."

Lizzie froze. "You're joking."

"Far from it."

"You can't ask this of me."

"Why not? I thought they were just letters."

"These are my memories, Matthew!" Lizzie fought to keep the desperation from her voice, but judging by the triumphant gleam in Matthew's eyes, he had heard it anyway.

"I knew it," he growled. "You still have a thing for him. After everything he's done to you, after everything I have done for you..."

He snatched the letters from Lizzie's hands and carried them to the fireplace, but before he could toss them into the flames, he found himself face to face with Lizzie's wand.

"You don't want to do this, angel," he said, looking at Lizzie with his eyebrows raised. "Put down your wand."

"Only if you put down my letters."

Matthew moved his hand closer to the fire, and Lizzie's wand rose higher. An amused look crossed his face. "You would never hex me."

"Try me."

Suddenly, Matthew's whole demeanour changed. The aggressive tension left his shoulders, and his dismissive look made way for a look of profound sadness.

"What have I done to deserve this?" He placed the letters on the mantelpiece and shook his head. "I'm so disappointed in you, Lizzie. I would have taken you for much, but not a liar. I thought you could be trusted."

The sympathy Lizzie had begun to feel for Matthew dissolved in a fresh flare of anger. "You've gone through my things, and I'm the one who can't be trusted?"

"I was worried about you," Matthew stressed again. "If you stopped acting like a naïve little girl, people could stop treating you like one, too."

"I've made it quite far for a naïve little girl."

Matthew laughed, a cold, sharp sound Lizzie had never heard from him before. "And how did you? By other people's graces, all of it."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Do you need me to make a list for you?" he asked with flashing eyes. "You only put effort into people when they can get you places. Me, Ethan Parkin, even your uncouth friend Skye, all of us were useful to you. Come to think of it, I can see why you find your ex so appealing. Owls of a feather flock together."

Lizzie had heard enough. She couldn't take it anymore; the accusations, the sneering, but most of all, the slander towards Orion, who didn't even have anything to do with this.

"Get out," she whispered, making Matthew's eyebrows shoot up in astonishment.

"Excuse me?"

"I said, get out!"

"You have no right to throw me out like this," Matthew snarled, gripping her shoulder so hard that it made Lizzie cry out.

"This is my house, and if you don't get lost right now, I will make you rue the day," she said through gritted teeth, holding Matthew's eyes until he finally let go of her.

"This isn't over yet," he told her, braced his shoulders and walked away.

When the door fell shut behind him, Lizzie exhaled slowly. Feeling empty inside, she sank to the ground, clutching at her shoulder where a bruise was already forming above her collarbone. Despite the burning fire, a chill spread from the pit of her stomach and into the rest of her, and then, finally, the tears began to fall.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.1K 735 51
Y/n Evans spent the entire fifth year saving the wizarding world. She quickly became the hero of Hogwarts and was admired by nearly everyone. Everyon...
7.9K 58 19
Hufflepuff reader, Adelaide Adonis has just started at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Little did she know, she would meet a student who...
166K 4.9K 55
It's a dangerous game, this falling in love business. It's even more dangerous when Regulus Black falls in love with Delilah Evans. From strangers t...
354K 5.3K 54
ˢᵒᵐᵉᵗⁱᵐᵉˢ ʷʰᵉⁿ ᴵ ˡᵒᵒᵏ ⁱⁿᵗᵒ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵉʸᵉˢ, Stories with you and your favourite Harry Potter characters cause we all know we have one or more Harry Potter...