The Bird and the Garden 2: Re...

By SecretMinty

The second book of The Bird and the Garden, taking place after the Good Ending. With Y/N and Vao's lives havi... More

Chapter 1: New Beginnings
Chapter 2: It Lives
Chapter 3: Beacon
Chapter 4: The Initiation
Character Introductions
Chapter 5: A New Life
Chapter 6: Class
Chapter 7: Shadows Creep
Chapter 8: It Begins
Chapter 9: The Murder
Chapter 10: Revelation
Chapter 11: Recovery
Chapter 12: Upcoming Events
Chapter 13: The School Dance
Chapter 14: The Club
Chapter 15: Forbidden Knowledge
Chapter 16: Verde's Secret
Chapter 17: There Will Be Bloodshed
Chapter 18: Kill
Chapter 19: Uncovered Truths
Chapter 20: The Beginning
Chapter 21: Innsmaw
Chapter 22: Insanity
Chapter 23: Vytal Festival
Chapter 24: Paradise
Chapter 25: Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 26: Vao Versus Ruby
Chapter 27: Nightmares
Chapter 28: Rain Over Innsmaw
Chapter 29: Withdrawn
Chapter 30: Escape
Chapter 31: Making a Mistake
Chapter 32: Hell
Chapter 33: Everything is Wrong
Chapter 34: Fugitives
Chapter 35: Interview
Chapter 36: Vale News Department
Chapter 37: Lisa Lavender
Chapter 38: Sasha, Part One
Chapter 39: Sasha, Part Two
Chapter 40: Questions
Chapter 42: The Training, Part One
Chapter 43: The Training, Part Two
Chapter 44: War on Vale
Chapter 45: Salem, Part One
Chapter 46: Salem, Part Two
Chapter 47: Salem, Part Three
Chapter 48: Evil's Reality
Scrapped Ideas
Epilogue: Don't Leave Me

Chapter 41: Memories

63 3 12
By SecretMinty

Y/N braced himself for an attack. From what little Verde had managed to tell about the First Timeline, it was that Vao was murderous, cannibalistic, a master of slaughter. He readied his katana, terror filling his heart as Vao approached...

... And walked right past him. Y/N blinked a couple times, unsure what to think. He could've sworn he heard Vao's stomach growling. Didn't that mean he was hungry? But when he looked back, Vao wasn't even looking at him. He just continued to shamble through the trees, without so much as even a pause. It was as if he didn't even see Y/N.

He slowly sheathed his katana, cautiously following Vao. A stick broke under his heel, catching the murderer's attention. Vao turned around curiously, his single eye scanning the forest. Once again, his eye stopped on Y/N, only to keep moving. Was he blind? No, he wouldn't be moving around thornbushes if that had been the case. He couldn't see Y/N, even when he was right in front of him.

Y/N gulped, reaching his hand out shakily and trying to grab Vao's hair. But his fingers just phased through the strands. Y/N felt shock ripple through his body.

"... Hello?" Vao asked boredly.

"V-Vao?" Y/N responded nervously. But Vao couldn't hear his voice, either. The cannibal looked around for a few more seconds before shrugging his feminine shoulders, continuing on to wherever he was going. Y/N realized he hadn't breathed, gasping for air as he trotted after him. He dared to grow ever so closer, matching his stride with Vao's own. But as he drew nearer and nearer, he heard something he didn't expect; Vao was muttering to himself. He strained his ears, leaning closer to hear his pale, ice cold lips.

"... C-Cinder... C-Cinder... I'm coming..."

Y/N didn't know what to make of it. If he was thinking of the right person, then Cinder was an associate to Salem that he killed in Innsmaw. What would Vao have to do with her?

... Y/N felt like an idiot. He had to remind himself that this was the First Timeline's Vao - someone who worked directly under Salem as its weapon.

Y/N gazed around at the forest around them, trying to recall where he was. Given the flora, he knew he was somewhere in Vale. But the forest didn't look like the Emerald Forest; the terrain was too rocky, not thick enough.

Grrrroooowwllll...

Vao hunched over in pain again, his breathing becoming ragged and heavy. His pace quickened, his muttering becoming more frantic with each step.

"Au-Auntie... Auntie, h-help me..."

Y/N felt more questions rising. Summer was nowhere in sight. Yet Vao was talking to himself as if he was accompanied, talking so naturally as if he wasn't alone. Y/N had a bad feeling; Vao was hallucinating, and he didn't even know the context behind it. And suddenly, Vao collapsed.

Y/N stopped walking, staring down at his kneeling brother. Hot tears fell to the grass as Vao's thin, feminine fingers dug into the soil, his stomach growling louder, louder.

"Auntie... I-I'm s-sorry..."

His voice was hoarse and raspy, hiccups escaping his throat. Y/N reached out for his hand, wanting nothing more than to comfort his older brother. It wasn't Vao's fault he turned out this way. If Salem had never intervened in their childhood, then he would have been just as he was in the Second Timeline; a loveable, illiterate goofball with the maturity of a kid. But when Y/N's hand touched Vao's, he was hit with a horrible, painful shock.

He felt it. Everything Vao was feeling. The horrible pain. The overwhelming guilt that weighed on his shoulders until he thought his back would break. The awful, awful fear Vao lived in every day. He took a step back, his stomach screaming at him. He felt it rising in his throat, until the vomit spewed from his mouth.

He was seeing everything through Vao's eyes, his memories. He could see himself sitting on top of Ruby, plunging a dagger into her chest. He could see himself severing his father's head from his shoulders, devouring the body like a depraved animal. He could see himself tearing Raven's eyes out, eating them hungrily. And finally, he could see himself holding the cold body of his dead mother, screaming at her for forgiveness.

He knew where he was now. He was viewing his memories. They were standing in Patch. Vao was about to assault their childhood home, burn everything to the ground. Vao groaned, slamming his head into the dirt. Y/N could feel everything Vao felt. Not just emotionally, but physically too. His stomach was screaming, hurting his insides. Y/N had never felt a worse pain in his life. Not even losing his arm and legs hurt this much. It was as if his body was put into a furnace, forever burning yet never able to die. The pain dropped Y/N to the ground, his screams cut off with raspy, weak breaths.

Vao slowly rose to his feet, his expression beginning to change, to mold. The corners of his mouth twitched, pulling up and widening into a deranged, psychotic smile.

"I-it hurts... It... I-It..." Vao gripped the sides of his head, pulling at his ankle-length hair hard, tearing black clumps from his scalp. "I... I'm so... S-so f-fucking hungry...!"

Y/N staggered to his feet, his memories beginning to return. He had to stop Vao. He had to stop Vao from reaching their childhood home. He tried to tackle Vao, but the murderer was already sprinting into the forest, his axe drawn and ready, laughing hysterically. Y/N tried to keep up with him, but Vao was much faster. Y/N growled, recognizing his surroundings. He skidded to a halt and ran to his left, leaping over ditches and fallen trees. He could see the light through the trees, and finally spotting the log cabin in the distance. He shot out from the trees like a comet, making a mad dash for the front door.

He was hoping he could interact with someone. To stop this memory before he remembered something he didn't want to. But when he tried to pound on the door, he only fell through it, landing heavily on the floor inside.

Tai was preparing a meal, setting down the plates for Qrow, Yang, Velvet, Weiss, and a blinded Raven. Leaning against the wall was a tied and gagged Cinder, and beside her was a kid he had never seen before. Y/N stood to his feet, bringing his voice to a scream.

"Get out! Get out of the house! Vao's coming!"

But no matter how loud he screamed, his voice was never heard. After all, you can't change a memory.

The wall exploded in flame, the wood crumbling to pieces. Everyone in the kitchen screamed in horror, staring into the darkness outside. Y/N could hear the giggling, and then he saw him.

His appearance alone was horrifying. Y/N never thought he could be petrified by Vao, but now he wasn't sure. As he stepped into the firelight, his features were illuminated as clear as day. His horribly pale skin, his long, disheveled black hair, and that terrifying scarlet eye that stared them down like a predator. The Aura in his eye socket sparked like a flame, arcing over his head as he began to scream.

"I'm going to devour every last one of you!"

Qrow leapt into action, his Harbinger already drawn. The two began to clash while everyone else ran up the stairs, Cinder finally freeing herself from her gag and screaming for Vao to follow. Y/N watched as Vao moved faster than anything he had seen before, stabbing Qrow in the chest with his dagger. The Huntsman dropped to his knee, gasping for air. Vao loomed over him, drool cascading from his lips like a waterfall. Qrow let out a furious cry and body checked him, scrambling desperately for the stairs. Vao rolled back to his feet, following close behind.

Y/N tried to follow, but the scenery was already changing. The burning walls twisted and warped around him, the color fading out to something else. The room expanded, until Y/N didn't recognize his surroundings. But from the bitter cold, he knew he was in Atlas.

All around him was a sea of corpses, students and soldiers, and some unrecognizable. He covered his mouth, swallowing down the vomit. He could hear people screaming, followed by gunfire and explosions outside the building. He followed the screams down the halls, bursting through a set of double doors.

Vao was running around the room, leaping into the air, vaulting off the walls, doing whatever he could to slaughter the men and women who shot at him. His lips were stained red, his eye blazing with excitement. Y/N stumbled back and fell, watching the scene unfold. He watched as Vao cleaved a student in two, biting into his arm. He'd never forget the sound of Vao's teeth tearing into human flesh, the sound of his jaw crushing through bone, swallowing whatever he could fit in his mouth. And in an instant, it was over. Vao had murdered every last one of them - despite being drastically outnumbered, he had slaughtered anyone who stood in his way.

A head of orange hair sprinted into view, a green sword swinging at his face. Vao ducked underneath, laughing hysterically as the android gave chase when he ran. Y/N wanted to follow after them. But something stopped his legs from moving.

He turned to see himself and Qrow running down the halls, carrying an unconscious Verde on their shoulders. The pair stopped, staring at the grotesque view in horror.

"W... What the hell...?" Qrow mumbled. Y/N watched as the older version of himself let go of Verde's arm, inspecting one of the corpses. And finally, with a pale, bloodless face, he looked back at his uncle.

"Uncle Qrow... These are human teeth marks..."

The world began to twist again. Y/N felt the blast of heat, saw the sandstone walls of Shade Academy. He was in the main hall, where Ruby sat in her wheelchair with a man he'd never seen before. In the First Timeline, Y/N knew this man as Roman.

Vao was going into a frenzy, battling the gangster, axe clashing against cane. Roman dove for cover, reloading his weapon. Y/N watched, expecting Vao to chase after him. But he never did. Instead, he looked towards where Ruby was hiding, his smile growing. Y/N felt terror bubbling in his chest.

"N-no!"

But it was too late. Vao had teleported to Ruby, swinging his axe like a baseball bat. Her wheelchair was splintered to pieces, sending the crippled woman to the floor. Ruby screamed in terror when Vao sat on top of her chest, laughing hysterically. Y/N could see the glint of the dagger's blade as he raised it high in the air. He tried desperately to grab onto Vao's arm, to stop him. But no matter how much he tried, his hands passed through his brother's wrists.

Ruby's eyes widened when the dagger plunged into her stomach, tears falling down her face. Vao stabbed her again, and again, finally getting Ruby to let out a bloodcurdling shriek that sent Y/N's mind blank. Roman leapt from behind the table, his eyes wide with horror.

"Ruby!"

Y/N already knew what was coming. The moment Roman had stepped too close, Vao turned to him with a victorious grin. "Gotcha."

Y/N watched as Roman's head fell from his shoulders, Vao's Grimm Demise dripping with a fresh coat of red. The Branwen leapt on top of the corpse, plunging his dagger into the flesh with fury, screaming the worst insults Y/N had ever heard leave his brother's mouth. Even Hazel and Watts looked horrified, the big man seizing Vao's arms and pulling him away. Cinder was silent for a few moments, but finally lifted her finger towards the exit. "... Get him out of here... He's in no state to fight. That's both of you; I'll deal with this myself."

She was already making her way towards the crawlspace that led to the vault, Hazel dragging a struggling Vao with him. "Come on, big guy... Let's get you home..."

Y/N was already breaking. His head felt like it was tearing into a million pieces. He was beginning to remember everything, up to the point he fought Salem. Choked sobs escaped his lips when he fell to his knees, watching helplessly as the scenery began to change. He was in the Haven Vault now, watching Vao manipulate Raven.

The woman smiled at Vao worriedly. "What do you mean?"

Vao snickered, clutching the Relic of Knowledge in his hands. "I'm taking the Relic to Salem. Thanks for being useful - for once."

Raven looked panicked. "Wait, Vao. Don't do that," she pleaded. "I know you can't go back to Y/N. But we can leave together-"

Vao turned to her, tucking the Relic under his arm. He jabbed his finger into her chest, snarling at her. "fat fucking chance, slag. After you abandoned me like the deadbeat parent you are? Go fuck yourself."

"Vao, please! All I'm asking is another chance!"

"The first chance cost me my eye, made me look like a freak! What's next, my other eye? My balls? Tell me, witch!"

Raven paused, thinking to herself quietly. And finally she spoke. "... V-Vao... What would Summer say about this?"

"S... S-Summer...?" Vao echoed. Y/N tried again to stop Vao, knowing it wouldn't work. He tried hugging him, punching him, even stabbing at him with his katana. But everything just passed through. The Relic fell from Vao's hands, his fingers gripping at his scalp. "Au-Auntie..."

Raven took a gentle step forward, reaching her hand out. "Come, Vao... Let's run. We can live a happier life together. One you deserve..."

But Vao had mentally snapped under the pressure of Salem's Blood, glaring at her with murderous fury.

"I'll... I'll FUCKING KILL you!"

Raven let out a cry of shock when Vao tackled her to the sand, punching her in the mouth as hard as he could. Her teeth broke the skin on his knuckles, yet he didn't even flinch. Vao pressed his hands against the sides of her head, his thumb moving towards her left eye. Y/N couldn't look away in time.

Raven's shrill, blood-freezing screams echoed in his ears, burning into his memory as he watched Vao dig into her eye, scratching at it like an animal until it popped out with a sickening squish. He tore it from her retina, throwing the organ into his mouth and swallowing it whole. Raven tried to fight him off, but Vao's monstrous strength overpowered her with ease, his thumb moving towards her right eye. Y/N covered his face, trying to drown out the sounds with screams of his own. But no matter how loud he was, nothing stopped him from hearing Raven. Not even smashing his hands into his ears in a last ditch effort to deafen himself.

Vao stood over the eyeless woman, laughing hysterically. "Now we can be just like each other! You nasty piece of shit!"

THUD!

Raven's screams were cut short when Vao kicked her in the stomach with everything he had. He turned and picked up the Relic, tucking it back under his arm before making his way to the exit. He stopped just short, turning his glare towards her. "... See you in Hell, harpy."

Y/N watched as the scenery began to change again, his will to even try and stop it destroyed to a million pieces. He could hear the crowd cheering in the Amity Arena, their voices muffled through the concrete walls. Vao was stomping down the hall, kicking at a trashcan. And just around the corner, Summer was leaving the restroom, drying her hands on her sweatshirt. Y/N watched as the two rounded the corner, bumping foreheads with each other.

"Ow! Watch where you're going, you bi... B-b... Bi..." Vao's voice faded away when he locked eyes with Summer, taking a step back. "... O-oh..."

Summer rubbed her forehead, smiling happily. "V-Vao! What a surprise!"

Vao stumbled backwards, falling to the ground and pressing against the wall. His face was deathly pale, his lips parted into a silent cry. Y/N watched as Summer reached down to touch Vao, closing his eyes. He didn't want to watch this. And yet something made him open them again. Vao finally broke free from his trance, his fighting response kicking in.

"S-stay away from me!"

Y/N would never forget that sound. It would haunt his nightmares for years to come. The metallic sound of Vao's axe unfolding, until the blade crushed through Summer's malnourished rib cage, leaving behind a gaping hole where her chest should have been. Blood spewed over Vao, who could only sit there in shock. Summer staggered backwards, clutching the wound tightly. Tears welled in her eyes as she met Vao's gaze, finally collapsing to the ground. Vao sat in silence, his arm trembling.

Thunk.

Grimm Demise clattered on the ground when it fell from Vao's hand. He could only look at himself, his breathing becoming quick and panicked."A-ah... Ah..."

And then the shuffling of clothes against the ground. Y/N and Vao watched as Summer coughed, pushing herself to her elbows. She was reaching out for Vao, dragging herself across the floor. Her slender fingers gripped her shoulders, pulling herself into Vao's lap. Her still beating heart was growing quieter and slower, and yet she still found the strength to speak. She gently wiped at Vao's tearstained face, just as a mother would.

"V... Vao..." She breathed. She pulled him closer, her fingers gently running through his hair. "Don't... C-cry..."

"S-Summer...?" Vao whispered hoarsely. Summer gave him a tender smile, blood trickling down her lip, dripping off her chin. She said the words Y/N didn't hear her say in the First Timeline, something that had helped Vao realize her innocence.

"M-mommy... Loves you, Vao..."

She said it with such passion. With the same motherly voice she used to speak to Y/N. He remembered now. He remembered living with Vao, believing they shared both parents. He remembered how Vao lost his eye, and having to take care of him after. He remembered how important Summer was to Vao, even if he was petrified of her.

Vao's lip quivered, his voice cracking like glass in a cold winter breeze. "I-I... I'm s-sorry..." He whispered. But Summer shook her head lightly, leaning against his chest.

"Mommy l-loves you... S-so much..." She repeated. Her breathing was growing more and more shallow with each passing breath. Panic settled into Vao's eyes, and finally he wrapped his arms around her, holding her gently.

"S-Summ... Summer..." He croaked. "... P-please...! I-I'm sorry!"

Summer's eyes were drooping. But still she smiled at him. Tears fell from her eyes as she gently touched the wound she had left, her hand sliding down to his neck.

"I... A-always... Loved you..." She breathed softly. Her breathing began to still, her arms drooping around Vao's shoulders. She was dead. Vao shook her gently, trying to get a response.

"S-Summer... W-wake up... P-please..." He whimpered. "S-Summ..." He bit his lip, his eyes growing wet. "Au... A-Auntie..."

Y/N already knew she wasn't coming back. Her eyes were glazed over, the life they once held dulled to nothing. Vao shook her harder, desperation dripping from his voice. "Auntie... W-wake up! Wake up, please! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" He was breaking down, hugging her corpse like it would disappear, begging for Summer to wake up.

And finally he heard the scream. His own scream, as the memory of himself walking into that scene stepped into view. He had his hands clasped over his mouth, tears welling up in his eyes.

"V-Vao... What..." He looked up at Vao, a spark of anger filling his glare. "Y-you... You little..."

Vao gently set Summer on the floor, turning towards his brother, reaching out for him. He couldn't even speak. But Y/N drew his katana, pointing it at Vao.

"You killed her!"

Vao looked devastated, a cry escaping his lips. "Y-Y/N... I-I..."

The world began to turn grey around them, until finally it all faded, leaving Y/N alone in the void. He was slumped over, unable to even cry. He just laid there on the ground, curled into a ball while the tears pooled around him.

He finally remembered everything. He remembered how much he had changed in the First Timeline. Abused everyone her cared about. Treated them like garbage. He remembered how many years he had spent fighting Vao, trying to kill him. But in the end, Vao was innocent. Even if he had committed atrocities beyond human imagination, it was never himself. Y/N knew that after seeing his brother in the Second Timeline. Y/N stared distantly at the horizon, feeling an old emotion bubbling back.

Hatred.

Not hatred for himself. Not hatred for Vao, or his friends, or his family. He felt hatred towards the one who had started it all. The one who mocked, and laughed at their misery, promised to do the same to innumerable others. As the effects of Salem's Blood wore off, and the world began to return to normal, Y/N sat up in the Emerald Forest.

The rain fell from the sky, soaking his hair. But he didn't find any interest. Inside his chest, his magic was beginning to unlock completely, just as it had done in the First Timeline when Summer was killed. It was unlocked by the raw emotion Y/N was feeling. He clenched his fist, his lips curling back.

"S... S-Salem..." He hissed through clenched teeth. He tilted his head back, looking into the sky. He looked to the clouds, swearing a vow under his breath.

He finally remembered his purpose for fighting. Not for himself, but for others. For the sake of others, so that they would never have to experience something like this. His knuckles were turning white.

He screamed. He swore it. That he would kill it for good. For revenge? That was part of it. But the real reason he swore that vow, was because he finally understood what it really meant to be a hero.

Being a hero wasn't like the fairy tales would say. Heroes are made through trials and hardships, something Y/N didn't understand until now. There was no avoiding death, there was no avoiding killing others. But there was a way to avoid turning into who he was in the First Timeline. He knew he needed to make that change.

And that was exactly what he was going to do. He reached into his pocket, pulling out his pack of cigarettes. He stared at the box for a moment, contemplating his decision. But his mind was already made up. He tossed the box on the ground, grinding the tobacco product under his heel.

He didn't need cigarettes. Not anymore. Without a look back, Y/N sprinted through the trees, staring at Beacon Academy, just at the top of the cliff.

...

Cardin sighed as he stared out the window. Y/N still hadn't come back since he left the infirmary. The ginger looked towards Sasha and Yang, who were busy occupying themselves; Yang was doing something with her weapons, while Sasha was reading a book. Raven wasn't present - she had gone to her old classroom with Oobleck. Only Tai, Weiss, Russell and Blake seemed nervous about Y/N's disappearance. Cardin looked to Yang, his brows furrowing with worry.

"He's... Been gone a long time... It's almost midnight," he commented quietly. But Yang only shrugged her shoulders.

"So? He's a big boy. He can take care of himself."

"But he's your brother-"

"Don't care. The real Y/N died when Vao did," she growled. "The real Y/N isn't a self-centered asshole who bullies his own family."

Cardin looked to Sasha for help, but the giant shook her head. "I don't care about that little prick," she grumbled. "Who knows where he went? His negativity probably got the best of him. You know what happens when you're angry and alone in the wild."

Even Yang looked startled by that. "A-are you saying... He could've been attacked by a Grimm?"

Sasha shrugged. She didn't answer. Weiss stood to her feet, running for the door. Blake cocked an eyebrow. "Where're you going?"

"To find Y/N," Weiss growled. Yang sighed, setting her scroll aside.

"He's fine, Weiss. If you bother him, he'll probably push you away again," she groaned. Sasha nodded in agreement. "Or just outright punch you," she added.

Weiss gripped the doorknob, pulling open the door. "I don't care," she hissed. She slammed the door behind her, sprinting down the halls. She didn't want to imagine that Y/N had gotten eaten. Even if he was fast, she knew it was a possibility. She felt her feet moving a bit faster, until she burst through the main doors and into the downpour outside.

She looked around, squinting her eyes as the rain dripped from her brow. She couldn't see anything in the fog. She felt her heart racing, stepping further from the doors, deeper into the courtyard.

"Y/N?" She called. But there was no answer. She looked down at the ground, wondering if she should go back inside. It wouldn't be good to catch a cold. She looked up again, hoping she'd see him. And she did. Barely visible in the rain, she could see his figure sprinting towards her. She could see his lips curled back, his teeth showing even in the darkness. She braced herself to be hit, just as Sasha said he would do. What else could he be planning, making a face like that?

But he didn't hit her. Instead, he spread his arms open, reaching for her. He nearly knocked her to the ground, catching the heiress in his arms, burying his face into her shoulder. She could hear his voice cracking, his grip tightening. "Y... Y/N...?" She whimpered.

"I-I... I'm sorry..."

Weiss was taken aback. She didn't expect him to apologize, much less hug her after he had screamed at her for interrupting his fight with Raven. She gently wrapped her arms around him, feeling his body tremble. Something was wrong. She bit her lip, wondering if she should ask him if he was okay. That hadn't worked lately, not since they fought Lisa and Summer had died. But she felt it was needed, a necessity.

"... Y/N... What's wrong... Are you... Okay?"

Y/N didn't answer. She felt him squeeze her tighter, his voice breaking until he managed to squeak out one word.

"N... N-no..."

Y/N pulled away, his hands still on Weiss's hips. When she stared up at him, she could see the hot tears in the cold rain, trickling down his cheeks. "I... I-I'm such an asshole..." He croaked. "I... I mistreated everyone... B-because I didn't understand..."

Weiss raised her arms until they wrapped around Y/N's shoulders, a soft smile crossing her lips. "It's okay, Y/N... I forgive you. But what made you realize it?"

Y/N looked down at the ground, letting the tears fall. "... I-I... C-can't say..." Y/N looked down at her, their eyes meeting. His lips quivered into a soft, tender smile. The smile of the Y/N she had thought was long gone. The one she fell for.

"... I love you... So much..." He whispered. Weiss tried to match his smile, her chest beginning to ache.

"... I love you too, idiot..."

Y/N chuckled quietly, leaning down. In the rain, their lips met, their tongues beginning to touch. When they broke away, their breathing had become heavy. Weiss took Y/N's hand in her own, smiling up at him with an affectionate gaze.

"Come on... Let's get some rest... After seeing that, you'll need it-"

"B-but- I still have to apologize..." Y/N interrupted. But Weiss shook her head.

"You can do that later. What matters now is your mental health. You're about to break, Y/N."

He could only nod, still wiping at his eyes. Weiss was right. Not only that, but he knew he couldn't risk getting angry. Not after what he had seen.

...

Ozpin sat at his desk, his typical, cool and collected smile having long fallen away. Sitting across from him was a group he had specifically requested. Glynda stood at his side, nervously chewing on the end of her pen. "Professor, they're not even twenty-one... To put them through that level of training is-"

"A necessity," Ozpin interrupted. He took a quiet sip from his hot cocoa, his gaze hardening. "If Salem really has the King on its side, then we have to go to the extreme. No matter the cost, be it their mental state, or even their lives. As long as they're trained for an inevitable war..."

Glynda averted her gaze, fixated on her clipboard. "... Y... Yes, Professor..."

Ozpin took another slow sip from his mug, setting it down with a soft clink. He hummed, deep in thought. "... James, may I ask why you picked these specific people?"

The general gave a small grin, removing his hands from behind his back, moving them to the ones who stood behind him as he spoke. "I couldn't think of anyone more fitting. Raven is a former bandit leader; she could teach them how to formulate strategies while under intense pressure. And given her personality-"

"I am going to slash your tires, Chuckle-Nuts."

"- I cannot think of anyone better suited. Qrow Branwen; while he is an alcoholic, he has proven to be intelligent, able to use his surroundings, and analyze his opponents. Taiyang Xiao-Long, an excellent fighter. Tyrian Callows, a man who excels at infiltration and combat. Bartholomew Oobleck-"

"Doctor."

"- Fast, and highly intelligent. And of course, Winter Schnee. I do not feel the need to explain why I chose her."

Ozpin narrowed his eyes, gesturing to the final guest Ironwood hadn't introduced. "And her? She's barely twenty. And you want her as an instructor during this training?"

Ironwood nodded, finally gesturing towards the unnamed visitor. "Of course. May I explain your situation?"

She grumbled quietly before nodding her head. Ironwood turned back to Ozpin, leaning on the desk as if he were in a business meeting.

"Sasha Steel; a former member of the Black Stars crime syndicate in Vacuo. She's no stranger to taking lives. Even without her Semblance, she is capable of lifting a car. Despite being young, she already has all the experience she needs. Wouldn't you agree, Professor?"

Ozpin didn't like that he agreed with the general. He wanted Sasha to train alongside the others. He picked up his scroll off the desk, reading the screen aloud.

"The criminal record of Sasha Steel, otherwise known as the Giant of Vacuo, leaked by the surviving members of the Black Stars. Wanted in Vacuo for the murder of men, women, and children. Blackmail, extortion, human trafficking, vehicular manslaughter, grand larceny, assault, grand theft auto, terrorism... You've quite a record, Ms. Steel..."

Sasha nodded, her eyes darkening. Ozpin looked up at her, his eyes filled with an unrecognizable emotion. "... Can I trust you not to return to your old ways?"

"... Yeah. That's why I joined Beacon," she growled. "To stop others from suffering like I did. And if that means recklessly throwing my life at the bitch who murdered Vao and Verde... Then I'm all for it."

Ozpin sighed, finally caving. "... Very well. How long will this training take, James?"

"Nine months, not a day earlier or later," Ironwood answered. "It will be difficult, of course."

Ozpin nodded, standing from his chair. His demeanor had changed. No longer was he the kind, calm headmaster he showed himself as. He was stern, strict, and cold. "... Very well. One more thing: do not. Hold. Back."

Ironwood nodded curtly, a smirk crossing his lips as he turned towards the elevator with his group following. "Of course, Ozpin. Salem took my daughter and her boyfriend's body. I've nothing to lose, but everything to gain." His smirk fell, finally exposing his true feeling. That unrivaled hatred and fury.

"Absolutely everything."

Ozpin watched as they left, not taking his seat. Instead, he stepped towards the window, staring into the rain. Glynda gulped before taking her spot next to him, drumming her fingers on her clipboard.

"... Glynda?"

"Erm! Yes, Professor?"

Ozpin didn't look at her. "... You're against this decision... Are you not?"

She shuffled nervously where she stood, averting her eyes again. But finally, she nodded. "... I am... They're barely adults, Professor. To take them to that place is-"

"And do you remember what I told you? Of the First Timeline?"

Glynda was quiet, not wanting to remember that story. Ozpin's gaze hardened, his hands folding behind his back. "... It is necessary. We don't just have Raven's confirmation - we saw Vao's grave for ourselves. I cannot imagine Salem has good intentions with his body."

"N-no, Professor... It wouldn't..."

Ozpin didn't respond for a long time. He just stared over the cliff, past the Emerald Forest, at the castle that was silhouetted against the broken moon.

"What will be your next move, Salem?" Ozpin wondered aloud. "What will you do next, with us knowing your location?"

"Er... Professor...?" Glynda whispered quizzically. But Ozpin just shook his head lightly.

"Nevermind me, Glynda. Did you buy a new perfume? It smells quite lovely," he complimented. She nodded, grateful his calm attitude was coming back.

"I-I... Did, actually..."

Ozpin chuckled, walking back to his desk to finish off his hot cocoa. "Fitting scent, for someone with as wondrous a personality as yours."

...

King Iris stood by the wall as he watched the demon finish its cruel ritual, his eyes filled with fear. Ruby finished adjusting her clothes, stepping out from the coffin. She seemed to be happier. She was quick to notice the King's fear - or possibly she smelled it. Ruby gave a mocking grin. "Oh, is the brave monarch frightened?"

Iris knew better than to lie. He just nodded his head quietly. Ruby turned to Hazel and Watts, clicking her tongue before pointing at the disgraced scientist. "Doctor, have you pinpointed Y/N's as I commanded?"

Watts shook his head, holding up his scroll. "I have not, Mistress," he admitted. Ruby paused, stroking her chin.

"... For your sake, I would pray you have good news."

"I do!" Watts nearly shouted in terror. "I-I have intercepted a scroll text from General Ironwood, a message to Winter Schnee. Apparently Y/N and his allies will be undergoing training in two weeks."

Ruby looked pleased, a small smirk crossing her lips. "Very good, Doctor. And where will this training take place?"

Watts was suddenly very silent. Ruby's smirk fell, striding up to the scientist and looking up at him. She was dangerously close. "... You do know where the training will take place, do you not?"

Watts was sweating, tugging at the collar of his shirt. His mustache was quivering as he tried to find the words to explain himself. "Th-they haven't mentioned the location, M-Mistress... B-but I'll learn it! I swear my loyalty upon it!"

"You're beginning to irritate me, Arthur," Ruby warned. "All that confidence, just to tell me information that holds no meaning. Without the location of his training site, there is nothing I am able to do."

Watts took a step back so he could bow his head. "O-of course, Mistress. I will not make the same mistake aga-"

CRACK!

Watts collapsed to the ground with a cry of pain, clutching his broken nose. Ruby had driven her knee into his face. She pressed her foot against his head, scowling down at him.

"I despise excuses! You know this well!" She screamed. Watts whimpered in pain when Ruby pressed her foot down harder, her boots beginning to break skin when she grinded her heel into his skull. "Take this as a warning, Arthur," she cooed softly. "Give me useless information a second time, and I'll strangle you with your intestines. Are we understood?"

"Y-yes, Mistress!"

Ruby finally removed her foot, stepping towards Hazel. She gave him a small smile. "... I have nothing but praises for you, Rainart."

Hazel bowed his head. "Thank you, Mistress."

Ruby gestured towards the walking fortress, staring down at Watts. "He ripped the arm off that little brat. You should strive to be more like him. As of this moment, you're nothing more than a disappointment."

Watts nodded his head before picking himself up off the ground, shakily standing to his feet. He could feel his hair sticking together from the scrape she had left behind. Ruby strode towards Iris next, her smile widening.

"And you... I've something private to discuss," she cooed. Iris felt the freezing sweat dripping down the back of his neck, trembling under that wretched gaze. Ruby giggled to herself, her eyes never leaving his. "Once Y/N has finished training, he'll no doubt make his way to the castle... Correct?"

Iris nodded. Ruby sighed, finally looking away, walking towards the coffin and pulling it open. "... Watts will let us know either his location, or when he has finished training. Is that right, Doctor?"

"Y-yes, Mistress..."

Ruby reached her hands up, cradling Vao's preserved corpse lovingly. "... Perhaps we could discuss this another time... I do not enjoy being pessimistic; I'm an optimist, after all. Watts will find Y/N's whereabouts, and report them to me. We will murder him there, and you can achieve your dream, Iris." She turned back to him, her arms still wrapped around the dead body. "... Do we have a deal?"

Iris knew he shouldn't accept the offer. Whatever Salem had left unsaid was deadly. But his dream overpowered his will to refuse. His fear of that thing overrode his senses. He nodded his head nervously.

"O... Of... C-course..."

Ruby chuckled to herself, turning back to Vao's body in her arms. "Good... Good... Now leave, all three of you. I desire peace with my favorite plaything."

She could hear them shuffling to the door, Hazel guiding Watts before closing the door behind them. Ruby sighed, setting the corpse down on its back and inspecting closely. There were no signs of rot or decay; the results of its ritual. It was still just the way it was when he died, with its left side blown away. Ruby stared into his dull crimson eye lovingly, running her hands along his exposed skull.

"Hah... You're mine, Vao," she whispered gently into his ear. "You cannot escape; I've become obsessed with you... Your idiocy, overcoming your own fears in a desire for revenge. I saw it that day, when you challenged me in that warehouse - your fears. You were beginning to remember me. And you still fought. You never ceased to please me... Even in death..."

She pushed his burnt shirt to the side, exposing his gored chest. She pressed her finger into his sternum, feeling the power that still radiated from him. Not the power of life: the power of his magic. Even if he never unlocked it himself, Salem had already done that in one of its rituals. It could feel Ruby's Soul in its body, still trying to fight herself free.

Salem chuckled, slowly removing itself from Ruby's body. Ruby's eyes began to bleed, her nose and lips leaking Salem's Blood. And slowly, the eldritch parasite wormed its way out, looming over the broken girl. Ruby collapsed to the floor, shivering wordlessly. Salem chuckled, staring down at her as it picked up Vao's corpse.

"Ah... Do you have no words, Ruby Rose?" It mocked. "Or did you enjoy the ritual?"

Ruby's silver eyes shifted towards Salem, unimaginable hatred rooted deep within. She was beginning to develop a resistance to its appearance, Salem realized. Not that it mattered with Ruby wrapped around one of its many, clawed fingers. Finally, Ruby responded.

"Y... Y-you're... R-repulsive..."

Salem chuckled darkly, leaning down to meet her gaze. "Oh, come now. Are you really surprised?"

Ruby sat up, scooting backwards, further away from Salem. Her lips pulled back, her eyes growing wet. "W-what... What you did t-to his body... Is u-unforgivable..." She croaked. But to her horror, Salem laughed.

"Indeed. I will admit that. But I will not stop," Salem cooed. "I'll continue to defile him, using your body. I'll preserve it. Use it."

Salem spread out, its monstrous size dwarfing Ruby. In just two and a half years, it had already gained the power to grow, sped up by desecrating the corpse of Vao. Ruby shivered from the freezing air that radiated from Salem's skin, staring at its countless eyes with terror. The abomination chuckled, lifting Vao's body with one of its arms and holding it close. "He's my plaything, Ruby. He has been since the First Timeline. That will never change. I will do as I please with his corpse - including my ritual."

Ruby finally snapped, her fractured mind taking over. She slammed her fist into the floor, screaming at the creature. "I-It's not a ritual...! It's necrophilia!"

But Salem burst into laughter, it's guttural, watery voice filling the room. "So it would seem. Whatever it may look like, it is a ritual as I say. What will you do about it?" Ruby had already been seized by the monster, Salem beginning to slip back inside through her nose, her mouth, her ears, any orifice it could use to take her body once again. Ruby felt the searing pain rocket through her body as Salem began to resume its possession, her screams cut short when it slithered down her throat.

"There is no stopping me, Ruby. When the time comes, even Y/N will fall. No matter the cost... I will win. I will not let a repeat of the First Timeline happen."

...

It had been a week since Y/N's hallucination. He didn't tell anyone about it. It was a secret to himself, and himself only. It was his reason to fight, to keep his head up.

And while Weiss, Cardin, Blake, and his father had been the only ones to really forgive him for his outburst, everyone else had ceased their rudeness. Yang and Raven were the only exceptions; they still remembered when Raven challenged how she raised his brother and sister. He could understand - he didn't blame them. Especially after he treated them like shit for trying to steer him in the proper direction.

He sighed as he reached up, struggling to touch the shower knob. It took effort, but he managed, crawling out of the shower. He ran his hands along where his arm and legs used to be, bitterly remembering the fights he lost them in.

His enemies were only getting stronger since Rojo. If he hadn't been carrying that Dust crystal, if Lisa hadn't zapped it with her Semblance, he'd have never survived. She would have killed him. He grimaced, pulling his prosthetic legs to his underside.

What if he met someone stronger than Lisa? If his memories told him anything, Salem would easily beat the reporter, even if it was weakened. But what if the King? What of Hazel, or Watts? He didn't want to think about it. He stood up, stretching his metal legs before reattaching his arm, stepping out of the bathroom. With his lower half made of metal, he didn't need to worry about putting pants on.

The cold late-autumn air sent a shiver down his spine when he stepped into the room, rifling through his bag to retrieve his combat outfit. He had just thrown the top on when the door opened, a voice calling out as the newcomer stepped inside.

"Yo, Cardin. You in he-"

Russell stopped when Y/N turned to look at him, locking eyes with the former bully, the former villain. Russell was quiet for a moment before turning back to the door. "S-sorry, I'll just go-"

"Stop."

Russell froze under the sternness of Y/N's voice, his heart pounding in his chest. He could hear his boots touching the ground as he approached him from behind, hear him breathing.

"Turn around. I wanna talk with you."

Russell was sweating, but took a deep breath and obeyed. He expected Y/N to be angry, but when he saw his face, he didn't see that. Y/N was just looking at him blankly. "E-er... Yes, Y/N?"

Y/N took a deep breath, exhaling softly. "... You killed Verde."

Russell could feel the guilt crawling up his spine. He didn't want to remember that. He shakily nodded, his eyes growing wet. "... I'm... S-sorry, Y/N..." He whispered hoarsely.

"... You tortured her, until she couldn't even remember her own name. Broke her until she could only look for the one she held dearest."

Russell didn't answer. He just looked at the ground, letting the tears fall. No one had understood what Verde had been saying that day; only Weiss spoke Atlesian. But one thing was clear to everyone - when she was sitting there, looking around, she was calling Vao's name.

"... I blamed you for it. Thought it was what you wanted," Y/N continued. Russell expected Y/N to deck him. Not that he would've fought back; Russell knew he deserved it. But Y/N just shook his head. "... I get it, now. Salem used you, didn't it? Made a promise, and left out the important details."

Russell nodded quietly. Y/N hummer, sticking his hands in his pockets and leaning back, staring at Russell's feet. "... I want you to be honest with me. After seeing what Salem is, after all the times you bullied me and Verde... Why are you siding with us? Going with us for this training?"

Russell wondered if it was rhetorical. But when Y/N looked up at him with curiosity, he knew he was waiting for an answer. "I... I want..." He trailed off for a moment, collecting himself. He looked back up at Y/N, his gaze hardening. "... I want to change, Y/N. After seeing what that thing does, what it enjoys doing... I want to make it up. I know I'm a piece of shit. I know I'm a scumbag. Because of me, you had to kill your team leader out of mercy." He put his hand on his chest, taking a step forward. "I owe you my life, Y/N. I swear it, I'll do the right thing. Even if it gets me killed, even if I have to crawl to Hell, and climb back out. After watching that thing kill Sky, and then force me to do horrible things to Verde, I want to change. To do something with my life that'll save people."

"And how are you going to do that?"

Russell gritted his teeth, his eyes growing wet again. "By doing whatever it takes, Y/N. After seeing what Salem is... I want to be like you. To fight for what's right. I saw it when I looked at Verde that day... It's not just about you and Vao. It's about everything. Everyone. The entire world. You're... You're a real hero, Y/N. To be going against something like that. I... Just want you to know I have your back. Even if you don't trust me, even if you despise me... I'll follow you to the end."

Y/N hadn't heard such sincerity from Russell before. He had meant every word. The katana-wielder looked down at the ground again, thinking quietly. He only looked up when Russell spread his arms out. "... What are you doing?"

"Punch me," Russell demanded. "Hit me in the face as hard as you can. I know it doesn't even come close to making up for what I did. But I know you're still angry. So punch me."

Y/N looked at Russell like he was an idiot. "... If I punch you, you know it's gonna hurt, right?"

Russell nodded, his gaze never breaking from Y/N's. "... Do it." Y/N sighed, shifting his foot back and raising his fist.

THWACK!

Russell fell backwards when Y/N punched him in the nose, blood dripping down his lips. He curled up on the ground as he staggered to his feet, holding his bloody nose in his hands. "O-ow..."

Y/N sighed, sticking his hands back in his pockets. And finally, he chuckled. A soft chuckle that once belonged to a friendlier person. A chuckle that belonged to a friend. "... I warned you. You alright?"

"F-fine," Russell groaned. He looked back up at Y/N, giving a small smile. "And... Thanks..."

Y/N waved it off, picking his katana off the table and attaching it to his hip. "Don't sweat it," he muttered. "... I'm going to get some coffee from the cafeteria. You coming? I'd like to get to know you a bit better."

Russell nodded, chuckling quietly. "Yeah... Lead on, Y/N."

...

The forest was silent when the trio emerged from the trees, staring at the three gravestones on the hill. In silence they sat down beside them, staring at the names. There was a fourth already there, standing off to the side. It was Raven who broke the silence. She turned, her brows furrowing angrily.

"... Why are you here, Junior?"

Junior stood quietly, his hands in his pockets. "... Here to see my little buddy..." He whispered hoarsely. Tai just sighed quietly, a small smile crossing his lips. "... C'mere, big guy."

Junior didn't fight it. He trotted to them, sitting down next to Ironwood. He folded his hands on his lap, staring at Vao's tombstone, knowing nothing was underneath the soil. Ironwood spoke in a soft, trembling voice.

"... I still don't want to believe they're gone..." He whispered. "... It hurts."

Raven nodded, looking to Junior. "... It hurts you, too... Vao worked with you."

"... Yeah."

Tai let out a shaky sigh, reaching out and touching Summer's tombstone. "... This... Sucks..."

No one could disagree. Eventually, Junior noticed what Raven was carrying on her belt. "Hey... Is that...?"

Raven nodded, caressing the heavy object gently. "It is. I'm leaving it here."

"... Would Vao be okay with that?" Tai replied softly. Raven shrugged.

"Who knows?" She asked. "Vao is... V-Vao is..." No one wanted to force her to finish her sentence. Ironwood looked back at his daughter's grave. He never thought he'd see the day Verde's name was etched into a tombstone.

"... I remember..." He started quietly. "... When we had Vao's funeral... I overheard Y/N and the others make a promise..."

"A promise?" Tai wondered aloud. Ironwood nodded.

"... Yeah. They promised to visit this place when it was all over..." He let out a shaky cough, wiping at his eyes. "... A p-promise... They can't keep..."

There was only silence. But finally Raven stood to her feet, glaring at Junior. "... We're going after Salem soon... All of us," she growled. "... Will you join us?"

Junior stood up, lighting a cigar and inhaling the smoke. When he breathed it out, he looked at them with a soft smirk. "You kidding me? Fuck yeah I'm in. I'm not gonna let that tramp get away with killing Vao and Verde."

Ironwood wiped at his eyes, helped to his feet by Tai. And soon he chuckled, bursting into laughter. To see the general break character was shocking. Ironwood folded his hands neatly behind his back, looking at Junior. "... I can't wait to see the look on Salem's face when we pin it down. I'm especially excited for when Y/N kills it with his magic," he admitted. "... And then we can recover Vao's body, and lay him to rest with my daughter..."

Junior chuckled, taking another drag from his cigar. "Yeah... Let's get going. I need to prepare the mafia for an all out attack... Melanie and Miltia'll be excited for revenge, too."

They had started to leave. But Raven stayed back, staring at Vao's grave in silence. She was all alone. She sighed, letting the tears she had held back fall. She approached his grave, her footsteps crunching softly on the grass.

"... I... M-miss... You..." She croaked. She looked back down at what was in her hands, struggling to hold it out. She clicked the button, unfolding the massive object. She set it down, leaning it against the grave. "... Take it. I know how much you loved this thing..."

She took a step back, staring at his grave. She turned on her heel, starting to walk away. But when she reached the treeline, she froze. Her head lowered, a cry escaping her lips when she looked back. "... I... Never s-said this as often as I should've... But I couldn't be any more proud of you..." She bit her trembling lip, knowing it was finally time to say goodbye. She never wanted to say this to any of her kids.

"... G-g... Goodbye... Vao..."

She left quickly, not daring to look back. There in the sun, her final present laid against his tombstone, the metal gleaming in the light. Grimm Demise, Vao's signature weapon, now without an owner.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

645K 14.4K 42
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
1.8K 87 7
extreme warning: mention of strong violence, child neglect/abuse, rape(not fully written for obvious reasons) the nakano sisters, 5 though similar lo...
19.6K 14 1
You are are human born with powers that are like sans from undertale. One day you were sitting by a tree all of a sudden a aura appears out of nowher...
86.8K 2.9K 7
TWILIGHT// "I hope you are blessed with a heart like a wildflower. Strong enough to rise again after being trampled upon, tough enough to weather the...