payback. markhyuck

By MARKSOI

markhyuck ┅ donghyuck will do anything to pay mark back. ❝be my secretary then...❞ ▬ COMPLETED ✓ 1.29.23 ma... More

intro.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
twenty.
twenty-one.
twenty-two.
twenty-three.
twenty-four.
twenty-five.
twenty-six.
twenty-eight.
twenty-nine.
thirty.
thirty-one.
thirty-two.
end.

twenty-seven.

2K 89 21
By MARKSOI

"oh? you're dressed?" jeno said after he saw the latter wearing something a little more casual on a weekend. he visited mark's house expecting that he was free but seems like he was going somewhere. "you're going back to your office or what?"

mark breathes out a laugh as he shook his head. he was thankful enough that jeno had his back facing him so he can't see the blush that is now creeping up on his cheeks.

he continues to fix the collar of his button-up before saying, "no, i have a date."

right there and then, the younger dropped whatever he was doing in the kitchen to turn his head and look at the ceo.

"you what?" he asks, not convinced that he heard that correctly, "the workaholic son of the most famous ceo is finally going somewhere other than his office? and has a date?"

"shut it." mark simply blurts. shaking his head before he breathes out a small laugh. he just went back to tidying up his clothes as well as his hair.

"hold on, is this about donghyuck?" he continues to ask, making sure to emphasize the last word.

the older didn't answer and just continued to search for his belongings such as his wallet—that he obviously misplaced.

jeno's mouth fell open, gasping a little too dramatically. "i knew it!"

of course, it's going to be donghyuck. just the way mark talks about or just looks at him, he can already tell that this man is interested in the younger.

when the older finally found his wallet together with his car keys and phone, he now made his way towards his door. "if you're going to some random bar again, please lock my door before going out." 

-----

"i remember that!" donghyuck released a small laugh, nodding his with what the younger is saying.

their drinks were almost finished and the half finished powerpoint that they were supposed to be working on has now been put to the side, as the two are now busy paying attention to this random topic that sungchan brought up.

for the whole time, they had just been sharing random funny stories or an old memory that occurred between him and sungchan or even between doyoung and johnny. it is surely more interesting than the powerpoint that they were working on. 

"or the time when johnny spilled coffee on doyoung's desk and put the blame on the person beside him." sungchan added, which made donghyuck burst into another laughter.

"poor yuta hyung." donghyuck said in between his laughs. 

they have gone so far in this conversation that donghyuck hasn't noticed that he has spent way more time in this coffee shop than he intended to.

meanwhile, for sungchan, he was enjoying every second of this moment, to say the least. he enjoys seeing the smile he puts on donghyuck's face, especially the attention donghyuck gives him. even though, all of this wouldn't be possible if he didn't use this meet-up as an excuse for, what he can call, a date.

just then, donghyuck heard a small sound from his phone, indicating that he got a notification. he excused himself first from the younger, and he soon received a nod.

it's from mark.

the older was asking him if he can pick him up at his place.

this made donghyuck look at the time, and almost immediately, his eyes widen as he released a gasp. he has spent three hours in this coffee shop, and he didn't even notice?

he's nowhere near ready. the only thing he was wearing is a used hoodie and sweatpants—and gosh, his face. he can't show up in front of mark looking like this.

without thinking twice, he place his phone back in his pocket before packing his belongings inside his bag. "sorry sungchan, i forgot i still need to go somewhere after this." he said, while his hands are busy packing up his devices, "maybe we can just continue this on monday? besides, the meeting is on wednesday—"

"oh, no worries!" sungchan quickly assured, also doing the same, "should i drop you off at your place? we're in the same direction anyway." 

"i'm fine with that." donghyuck nods his head.

once they were done, donghyuck exited the place, waking a little too fast but sungchan managed to keep up. donghyuck had already told him that he has plans for this night, so he assumed the latter was just a little late for the said time?

parking his car not too far from the entrance of the building, mark fished for his phone again, hoping that donghyuck had already texted him back.

his brows only furrowed when he saw that he didn't get any response from the younger nor did donghyuck see the message.

perhaps he's still getting ready? and doesn't have the time to be on his phone?

he then decided to not think much of it and just wait a little more for donghyuck in his car.

both donghyuck and sungchan decided to just go to donghyuck's apartment by foot, with that, their walk has been a little awkward for them.

after all, donghyuck suddenly decided to leave the coffee shop earlier in a hurry, not only that, but they also didn't finish any of their work for today.

the taller released a small sigh as he rubs his palms together, feeling like the atmosphere had gotten colder than it was before or he was just... nervous?

a lot has been running inside his mind at this very moment, mainly because it's only him and donghyuck. not a rare occurrence though, this is what he usually felt whenever he was around the tanned male. but undoubtedly, he's sure that he's finally going to do it.

"can i still confess my feelings to my crush even if i didn't accidentally kiss them?" sungchan suddenly blurts but his eyes remained on the path in front of them.

donghyuck chuckled at the question. remembering the time he had this situation and told him about it. "what are you talking about?" he breathes out a laugh while shaking his head thinking sungchan was bringing up another random funny or embarrassing moments that happened to him to lift the mood.

"i'm serious..." the taller blurts, which made the older look back.

donghyuck's brows furrowed looking at sungchan confused. "oh uh... i-i mean, even if you didn't accidentally kiss them, you can still confess, i guess?" he stutters before releasing an awkward chuckle. he really thought the younger was just cracking another joke.

"really?" the younger continues to ask, "is it that easy?"

is it really that easy to confess your feelings to someone? the question made donghyuck halt. it was never easy as counting one, two, three, for him. it never was.

for others, something may be holding them back because of their fear of rejection—maybe the feelings weren't mutual—but for donghyuck's case, it was far from that. the person he liked had already told him how he feels, and he too, feels the same, but he can't bring himself to say something—to tell him about his feelings.

he always found himself being too nervous or too coward because whenever he was in front of him it feels as if his tongue is tied together, preventing him from saying something.

"honestly, it's not that easy." donghyuck finally replied. he shook his head to get those thoughts away before releasing another awkward chuckle, "anyway uh... if you want to confess then go for it! who knows maybe the world will come to an end tomorrow." he tries to joke, just to lift the atmosphere around them.

donghyuck noticed that they were a little too close to his apartment, and sungchan already got the hint when he saw him taking glances at the building just a few walks away from them.

should he let this opportunity go to waste? well then, "i like you."

the older's tracks stopped as his brows perked up. he looked at the taller beside him but sungchan didn't dare to make eye contact.

"donghyuck hyung... i—" he paused for a second as he lets out a heavy sigh, "i like you. i have been liking you for a very long time. ever since you were introduced in front of us, you already took my interest."

"sungchan—"

the younger shook his head, cutting the older's words off. "to be honest, i can do that powerpoint by myself if i want to because i know you already have a lot of work on your hands but i just used that excuse to spend a day with you." he continues, "i like having your attention on me or just spending time with you, donghyuck."

donghyuck was stunned as he looked at the younger, not knowing what to say.

sungchan's head hung low when he felt like the silence has been so long. "if you don't feel the same way, i respect that. we can go on as friends and just forget that i even confess to you. i've just had feelings for you ever since, and i don't want to keep it bottled up."

the older brought his hands up to ruffle the latter's hair before giggling. this made the sungchan look up. "i admire your courage, i really do. as i said it was never easy to confess..." donghyuck trails his words, "you're a great guy, sungchan but... i-i think we can just continue being friends."

sungchan pressed his lips into a thin line as he slowly nodded his head. it's unfortunate to hear these words but he admits, it didn't sting that much. it's still nice to know that they can remain friends after this.

"i'm okay with that." he simply says which made the younger chuckle.

"i still have somewhere to go, i suggest you should take a taxi from here." donghyuck told, not stopping from ruffling the younger's hair.

the taller only nodded his head, "we're not going to be awkward after this, right?" he questioned and he immediately received a nod from donghyuck, "friends?" 

"best friends." donghyuck added.

"c-can i hug you?" the younger stutters, "as a friend! a friendly hug." he is quick to add.

donghyuck chuckled and opened his arms wide for the younger. sungchan instantly welcomed his invitation by caging his body in his arms. this is okay. this is enough for him.

sungchan saw a taxi coming their way which made him break the hug. he immediately raised his hand for the vehicle to stop.

"uh... i'll take it from here." the younger said, "thank you for today, donghyuck."

looking at his phone for the last time, a pout immediately made its way to mark's lips when he saw that he still haven't gotten a reply from the younger.

a little over thirty minutes have passed ever since he parked his car in front of the younger's building and he's still nowhere to be seen.

he thought he already made it clear about what time he was picking donghyuck up.

mark then decided to get off his car and wait for the younger in front of his doorstep.

with that, he closed his vehicle before making his way outside. but just as he was about to walk to the entrance, a familiar figure not far from the entrance of the building grabbed his attention.

his eyes perked up, "oh donghyuck?" his lips bloomed into a smile, lifting his heel with the intention to walk towards him. but his smile just instantly faded as he saw the younger hugging someone.

he couldn't recognize who it was as he has his back facing him.

the last thing mark saw, is the taller figure getting inside the taxi, leaving donghyuck behind.

he was confused, and thousands of thoughts flew inside his head. he couldn't move from his position and only stared at the younger walking towards the building and also at him.

almost immediately, he locked eyes with the younger but his eyes did not convey a single emotion.

"m-mark?"

when the younger started walking closer towards the older, mark can only feel himself taking a step back.

"you're here?" donghyuck continues to ask as he stares down at mark's outfit. oh gosh, he clearly can't compare himself to what the older is wearing. "i-i was just about—"

"i'm here to pick you up." mark plainly said.

the latter is quick to nod his head. he's aware of that as he has seen the notification from mark earlier. "yeah, well i just have somewhere to—"

"donghyuck, do you know how long i was waiting for you here?" the older cuts him off, once again before releasing a snicker. "i thought you already made it clear that you're free this weekend but why does it looks like you're not."

we're even late to our dine-in reservation, mark thought to himself.

"what? of course, i'm free." donghyuck brows furrowed, not quite understanding what the older is talking about.

"are you?" mark quickly added. he felt confused and frustrated at the same time. "you haven't even seen the messages i texted you because you were busy spending your time with someone else..."

donghyuck was left dazed after hearing the older's words. he saw—mark saw him and sungchan earlier. he doesn't know how much he saw but that doesn't matter to him anymore. the only thing that he wants is to clear this situation to mark.

"mark, it's not like that..." the younger trailed off. still not knowing how to put his thoughts into words.

the older harshly brushed his fingers through his hair as he exhaled heavily, "then what, donghyuck?!" he cries out, "you're leaving me so confused for so damn long. are you really just going to keep playing with my feelings?"

mark felt annoyed and frustrated. he knows he's not allowed to feel jealous of what he had just seen. but he can't help it.

he felt played. mark thought that he already made it clear that he's going to donghyuck out. but seems like someone already did.

the younger gulps. he tried to walk closer and hold mark's arms on his own but the older just took another step back. "no please, that's not my intention." donghyuck is quick to reply.

"then please be clear with your intentions because it's confusing me." mark said under his breath, "i'm trying my best not to feel jealous because i'm not allowed to. but you always push all my buttons, fill me up all the time and that makes assume things."

mark paused, trying to control himself not to lash out on the younger, "you should've rejected me the moment i confessed to you, but you didn't. you didn't push me away and that itself gave me an assurance that maybe i have a chance with you but," mark paused as he hung his head low, "you never told me how you feel."

at the end of the day, it's him who likes donghyuck, not donghyuck who likes mark.

it's always mark that assumes everything after all.

"mark..." donghyuck hesitated. he saw the younger is started to walk away from him that just made him chase him in attempt to hold him, "please, let me explain. t-the hug—that doesn't mean anything—"

mark shook his head in defeat, cutting the younger's word off. without looking at the younger's eyes, he just let his feet drag him back to his car, "let's just call this a night." he breathes out, "good night, donghyuck."

he turned around leaving donghyuck standing alone in front of the building and didn't dare to look back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

198K 9.2K 35
❝ i didn't know you're the type of person who goes here in this kind of places mister president ❞ [🌈] •G...
297K 12.4K 25
❝ you're naked. ❞ ❝ shut up or i will slash your throat. ❞ ━ or where donghyuck is stuck in utopia after an airpl...
127K 6.4K 39
markhyuck. ┅ the world decides your soulmate whether you like it or not. ❝yours is red too?❞ ▬ COMPLETED ✓ 03.07.21 markhyuck fanfiction. © MARKSOI...
12.7K 740 24
{A Markhyuck fanfiction} [In which Mark Lee is on a quest to save and protect his kingdom's prince of the throne, Lee Donghyuck.] [Started: June 6th...