Lost in the Cruel World (Mika...

By EreMikaheart

Spoiler Alert! What if in an alternative universe, after the battle of Heaven and Earth, Mikasa gets another... More

1. Back to Where Everything Started
2. The Warmth of His Scarf
3. Trapped in a Small Cage
4. Indebted
5. To You, In 2,000 Years
6. That Day
7. A Dim Light Amid Despair
8. The Night of the Closing Ceremony
9. First Battle
10. Small Blade
11. I Can Hear His Heartbeat
12. Whereabouts of His Left Arm
13. Response
14. Idol
15. Primal Desire
16. Can't Look into His Eyes Yet
18. Needed to be Done
19. Female Titan
20. Forest of Giant Trees
21. Defeated
22. Memories of That Day
23. The Attacking Titan
24. End Result
25. Mere Threat
26. Beast Titan
27. Soilder
28. The Fallen Warriors
29. Blessing
30. Ruler of the Walls
31. Memories of the Future
32. Inevitable
33. The Other Side of the Walls
34. Love Against Time
35. Grow Old Together
36. Lost In the Cruel World (Final Chapter)

17. Special Operations Squad

1.2K 25 0
By EreMikaheart

AUTHOR'S POV:

Eren along with Levi's squad were heading towards an old Survey Corps headquarters.

All of them were on horses.
.

"The former Survey Corps headquarters. It's nothing more than a renovated old castle." Oluo said. "While it definitely looks impressive, it's so far from the Walls and all rivers that it's completely useless to the Survey Corps."

The group moved through the forest.

"The story goes back to the ambitious early days when the Corps was formed. Who would've thought we'd end up using it again to serve as your hideout?" Oluo explained.

Eren observed his surroundings with a bored expression.

Then Oluo leaned toward him. "Don't get cocky, new blood,"

"Hm?" Eren asked with confusion.

"I don't know the deal with this crap about you being a Titan, but we can't have Captain Levi babysit-" Oluo was interrupted when the horse missed a step and he bit his tongue.
.
.

"That's what you get for talking while riding your horse." Petra said, standing up before Oluo, who was sitting, tending to his injury.

"The first moments leave the most important impression. That newbie was scared shitless." Oluo said with arrogance.
.

Nearby, Eren was taking care of his horse.
.

"I think he was just stunned silent by how lame you are." Petra said.

"Still, it's all going according to plan." Oluo said, holding a cloth to his face, still trying to look cool.

"Man, you never used to talk like that. If by chance you're trying to imitate Captain Levi, you should really stop it. You two are nothing alike, but still..." Petra said, unimpressed.

Oluo smiled cockily at her. "Do you want to chain me down, Petra? You're still ways to go to be fitting for my wife."

"If only you'd bled to death from biting your tongue." Petra replied furiously. "You keep on boasting about how many Titans you've killed too."

"So what?" Oluo asked. "I've boasted about you guys too."
.

Eren was now looking at his new teammates. 'Those people are the Survey Corps' Special Ops Squad, commonly known as the Levi Squad.' He looked at Oluo. 'He definitely is a weirdo...'
.

"You're pathetic!" Petra said to Oluo.
.

Eld looked down at the ground and spoke up. "It's covered in weeds. It looks terrible."

"It's been disused for a very long time," Gunther said. "Inside, a sea of dust is probably awaiting us."

"That is indeed a severe problem," Levi said, approaching them. "We must sort it out immediately."
.
.

Levi threw the window open, hair and mouth covered by a cloth.

Then Eren approached him. "We're done cleaning the upper floors. Where will I get to sleep in the building, sir?"

"Your room is in the basement." Levi replied.

"Hmm." Eren said.

Levi turned around. "I'll take a look around the rooms." He walked away. "You do this room, Eren."

"Yes, sir." Eren replied and started cleaning.

After a few minutes, Petra came into the room. "You've got quite a despairing look on your face, Eren." She smiled.

"May be because... everything that have been happening lately... It's too tiring to be honest..." Eren replied and continued cleaning.

"Hmm.. I understand." Petra said. "I'll be calling you Eren. Captain Levi does the same. Here, his word is the law."

"Hmm... I don't mind that, but do I really have a despairing look on my face?" Eren asked, looking at Petra, still cleaning.

"It's not surprising at all." Petra said, smiling. "He doesn't come across as the perfect, invulnerable hero people think he is, does he? The true Levi is surprisingly short, irritable, violent, and hard to approach."

"That's not it." Eren said. "I was surprised how obediently he accepts the decisions of the higher-ups."

"Did you think that as strong as he is, he wouldn't care about rank or the chain of command?" Petra asked.

"Yes, I expected him not to acquiesce to anyone's words." Eren said.

"I don't know the details myself, but I heard he was pretty much like that originally." Petra said. "Before joining the Survey Corps, he was a famous thug in the capital's underworld."

"But then, why?" Eren asked with curiosity.

"I don't know exactly what happened," Petra said. "He was taken into the Survey Corps under Commander Erwin's hands."

"The Commander?" Eren said.

"Yeah!" Petra said.

Then Levi appeared behind Petra, scaring her a bit.

Petra continued sweeping the floor.

"Good job Eren." Levi said calmly. "Now finish cleaning this room and you are done for today."

"Yes, sir." Eren replied and continued cleaning.
.
.

Erwin was now in a room, drawing plans for the formation for the upcoming expedition while Mike was staring out the window, arms crossed.

"So, in thirty days, we're to go outside the Walls to build a stronghold for the supply chain?" Mike asked. "Not to mention we'll be taking fresh graduates with us too."

"If we even get any new recruits that is." Erwin replied

Mike turned to him. "In my opinion, this is far too hasty."

"Eren's current position is a temporary thing. We must quickly and smoothly prove his usefulness to Central." Erwin said, tapping the paper with his pencil. "Otherwise, sooner or later, the Military Police will make another move to-"

"Can't you take that mask off at least for me, Erwin?" Mike asked.

Erwin turned to him, smiling. "You're really good at sniffing out things like this, Mike."

Mike sniffed loudly. "Too bad you have no scent whatsoever."

"I'll tell you when the time is right." Erwin replied and turned back to his work.
.
.

It was now night time.

Inside the old Survey Corps headquarters, the Levi squad were were sitting at the table, drinking tea.

"We'll probably be ordered to stand by for a few more days." Erd said. "But I heard we're supposed to be going on a large-scale extramural expedition. And we'll be taking the new graduates with us as well."

"Is this true, Erd?" Gunther asked. "Isn't it awfully soon? Even considering that they handled this last Titan attack quite well."

"I heard those kids' pants required multiple washings to remove the shit-stains," Oluo said and smirked, holding up his teacup.

"Is this all true, Captain?" Petra asked, looking at Levi.

"I'm not involved in making our plans." Levi replied. "It's Erwin. He's likely considering far more variables that might occur to us."

"It's true that we're in an unprecedented situation," Erd said. "On the one hand, we lost the Maria reconquest route that we established through huge sacrifices, but on the other hand, we got an unexpected ray of hope." He turned to Eren.

Eren was still listening to them curiously.

"I still have trouble believing it. You can 'turn into a Titan,' but what's that mean, Eren?" Erd asked, looking at Eren.

"My memories from that time are quite hazy." Eren said. "It felt like a selfless, dreaming state. It can be triggered by hurting myself. Like, if I bite-" He held up his hand then froze. 'Wait, how do I know this?'

"You guys know all of this too. We couldn't get any more out of him than what's written in the reports." Levi said, holding up his cup by the rim. "She won't stay put though. Her meddling could even kill you, Eren."

"She? Who?" Eren asked curiously.

Then, a loud slam was heard.

Petra stood up, went towards the door and removed the wooden bar and Hange entered, one hand on her forehead.

"Good evening." Hange greeted and held up a hand. "Gentlemen of Squad Levi! Have you made yourselves at home in the castle?"

"You're early." Levi said and sipped his tea.

"How could I stay put now?" Hange replied with excitement.

"Squad Leader Hange?" Eren asked, a bit surprised.

"Sorry for the wait, Eren." Hange apologised, looking at Eren. "I'm charged with experimenting on the two Titans we caught alive in the city. I want you to help me out with tomorrow's experiments. I came to ask permission for that."

"An experiment? What am I supposed to-" Eren said.

"What else but that totally awesome thing you do!" Hange said.

She was flushed with excitement. Her were eyes wide and sweating and a mad expression was covering her face.

"Hmm.." Eren said, looking down. "I can't give you permission myself. I don't have authority over myself, you see."

"Levi, what are Eren's plans for tomorrow?" Hange asked, looking at Levi.

"Cleaning the garden." Levi replied.

"Okay then, it's decided!" Hange said and clutched Eren's hand. "I'll be counting on you tomorrow, Eren!"

"Yes, ma'am. But what exactly are these experiments on the Titans?" Eren asked.

"Hm?" Hange said, tilting her head up.

"What exactly are these experiments...?" Eren repeated.

"Stop that. Don't ask her." Oluo whispered fiercely.

"Ah, I knew it." Hange said, staring at Eren with a dopey expression. "You just had this expression like you wanted to know."

Levi stood up without a word and walked away, his squad following silently after him.

Eren looked confused but didn't say anything.

Hange then let go of Eren's hand and took Gunther's vacated seat. "Were you that interested? Then I've got no choice. I guess I've gotta tell you what I know about those pretties we caught earlier. First, we repeated the experiments we'd done each of the five prior times we had Titans to play with."
.
.
.

"Hello." Hange greeted a tied up Titan while soldiers stood a few feet behind, ready to intervene if necessary.
.

"First, we attempted communication."
.

"How are you feeling? What's your name?" She asked.

The blond-haired Titan was sitting on the ground, a dozen thick, black cords wrapped around its neck and big nails were embedded through its shoulders and its arms to keep them pinned to its sides and the ground.

"Does it hurt anywhere?" Hange said and leaned in, less than a yard from its face.

"Squad leader, you're too close!" Moblit said with worry.

"Hello." She greeted the second Titan with the brown hair.

It was tied up and pinned down as well, lying on the side of its face.

"Isn't the weather wonderful today? Are you hungry?" Hange asked.

It's head surged forward and it attempted to bite Hange but she jumped back in time.

"Whoa-whoa, that was close!"

"Squad leader, it's too dangerous!" Moblit yelled.

Hange again inched toward it and was forced back when it tried to eat her again.
.

"But for me, interacting with the Titans was so enlightening that it made me completely forget my everyday fatigue."
.

"A long, long time ago, there was a tribe who ate people." Hange said, walking back and forth before the two titans. "They weren't Titans like you. They were humans. They hid out in caves in the mountains, attacked travelers who happened to tread the roads nearby, robbed them of their valuables, killed them, and ate their flesh."
.

"She's started another one of her naming ceremonies," One soldiers said. "What did we end up with last time?"

"Chicacchironi and Albert." His friend replied.
.

Hange continued. "They kept up their resistance for 25 years. During that time, over 500 people became their prey. That might be more than the humans you guys ate. They also experimented with various ways of preparing their meals. Turning the buttocks into steaks," Hange continued. "Cutting the thighs up into cubes and cooking a stew with them. They minced, kneaded, and fried the hard meat.
.

The soldiers around her looked ill. One of them was almost ready to throw up.
.

"Out of fat and innards, they even made sausages. That's right. They knew the concept of 'cooking.'" She stood and pointed at the Titans, "That's how they were different from you."
.

One soldier was puking in the background.
.

"But then those cannibals made a mistake, and they were all caught and executed." Hange said. "The men were castrated and had their hands and feet severed, left to bleed out. The women and children were burned alive after they'd watched the men die. That's the same as you. You made the mistake of attacking humankind, and you were caught. So I'll name you after the man who led that clan. You're Sonny," She said, pointing to the blond-haired Titan then she pointed towards the brown haired titan. "You're Bean." But don't worry." She smiled. "I won't have you executed. "Nice to meet you, Sonny. You too, Bean. Let's try to get along."
.

"Thus I named the 7-meter class Bean, and the 4-meter class Sonny."
.

Soldiers used tents to cover the two Titans.
.

"Next we tried denying them sunlight. The Titans are clearly less active during the night. These experiments tried to prove that they gain some kind of power from the sunlight."
.

"There was a huge variation between individual Titans." Hange observed. "You've worked hard, Sonny Good night. See you tomorrow."
.

"Sonny's activity dropped an hour after we denied them sunlight. In contrast..."
.

"You really like to stay up late, huh, Bean?" Hange said, sitting on the ground. "It's okay. I'll stay here with you."
.

"Bean stayed lively for three hours."
.
.
.

"They always manage to surprise me," Hange told to Eren, who was listening carefully. "They don't need water or food. They have vocal organs, yet they don't need to breathe. All they need to stay alive is sunlight. To be honest, I'm curious what would happen if we denied them sunlight completely, but they're such valuable experimental subjects, I can't risk them dying. We killed the previous captures by accident. I accidentally hit the nape of the neck when we tried cutting their heads off," she said sadly.

Eren just nodded. He was listening to her carefully. He found her experiments interesting.

"Their names were Chicacchironi and Albert. They had such beautiful smiles. I feel bad about what I did to them." She said and remained silent for a few seconds. "I don't want that to happen again... I'm sorry."

"Squad leader Hange..." Eren said quietly.

Suddenly, Hange was in Eren's face. "And then, I moved on to the next stage, testing their sense of pain by actually touching them!" She looked up, fingers twitching, a crazed expression on her face.
.
.
.

"Hwaaaaahhhhh!" Hange screamed as blood and steam coming off the Titan's eyes as Hange had dug a spear into its eyes.

"Squad leader, you shouldn't be the one screaming." Moblit said, who was standing by her.

"How could I not scream, doing this?!" She snapped at him. "Bean is in so much pain!" She had tears running down her face. "Don't give up, Bean! Hang in there!" She ran at it, spear in hands.
.
.
.

Eren stared at Hange with an curious expression.

"We had to confirm whether they had any weaknesses besides the nape of the neck." Hange said. "It was really tough work."
.
.
.

"Sonny? I just pierced your heart." Hange said, wiggling the spear stuck in the Titan's chest. "Doesn't it hurt? How does it feel?"

The blond-haired Titan just stared stupidly at her.
.

"Compared to Bean, Sonny was a lot quieter. He hardly reacted at all."
.

The Titan just groaned.

"Hm?" Hange said and moved forward. "What was that?"

The Titan again tried to eat Hange, but she dodged in time.

"Squad leader, fall back!" Moblit yelled.

"Haha," Hange laughed in delight, clutching her stomach "That was really close!"

"You're gonna end up actually dying!" Moblit said in a panic.
.
.
.

"Bean isn't very good at expressing himself. He just keeps trying to bite my head off. Hange explained.

"Um, Squad leader..." Eren said.

Hange looked at him curiously.

"How can you stay so carefree in front of the Titans?" Eren asked. "They're our natural enemies, who drove us to the brink of extinction. I'm sure you've had to face their threat a number of times before yourself too."

"That's right." Hange replied. "I've had countless comrades killed by them right in front of my eyes. Back when I joined the Survey Corps, I fought them, fueled by hate. But then one day I realized It was when I cut off and kicked the head of a 3-meter class. It was light. Unnaturally so. Their bodies are light."

Eren looked at her in surprise.

"Normally such huge bodies shouldn't even be able to stand and walk on two legs. It's the same with every Titan." Hange said. "Their cut-off body parts were much lighter than they should have been for their size." She recalled holding up the Titan's severed arm. "I heard that when you turned into a Titan, that body appeared out of thin air. I considered that maybe the things we see are not the things that are actually there."

Suddenly, Eren's expression changed. "The only explanation is that all of us are connected by something we can't see."

"Hmm?" Hange said, looking at Eren with confusion.

"The blood and bones that form my Titan, and at times, even memories are sent to me through those invisible paths." Eren said. "All the paths cross at a single coordinate. That coordinate... is the Founding Titan."

"Founding Titan...?" Hange said, confused.

"Every single Subject of Ymir is connected to that Coordinate." Eren said.

Hange gasped. "Did you just say... subjects of Ymir?"

Eren gasped and came back to his senses. "Huh?"

"Eren?" Hange called out.

"Uh... I blurted out random things again." Eren said. "I'm sorry."

"No!" Hange said. "Those are not random things!"

"Huh?" Eren said, confused.

Hange looked thoughtful. "We once found a diseased Survey Corps member's diary. Before her death, she had written that a titan tried to talk to her."

Eren gasped.

"She had written that the titan said 'Subjects of Ymir'." Hange said. "And you just said every single subjects of Ymir is connected to that Coordinate. What even is a Coordinate? and who is Ymir?"

'Why I said that...?' Eren wondered. 'What that could be...? Who is Ymir...'

Suddenly, a memory flashed in his mind.
.
.
.

The person Eren seeing the memory was looking at the mirror.

It was Eren himself but older.

He had a man bun, was shirtless and in a prison cell.

"I can leave whenever I want." Adult Eren said. "I've the Founding Titan and you cannot kill me. I ate the War Hammer Titan."

"Huh?" A woman outside the prison cell said.

"It has the power to harden through the ground and make whatever it wants." Adult Eren said and turned to the woman, Hange. "In other words, there's no prison deep or strong enough to hold me." He walked towards Hange. "So, Hange... What is it you can actually do?" Suddenly he lifted Hange by her collar and pinned her to the bars who looked at him in fear. "Tell me, Hange! If you've got something up your sleeve, let's hear it!" His eyes widened and glowed while blue sparks of electricity crackled on his face.

Hange's eyes widened.
.
.
.

"Eren! Eren!" Hange said, shaking Eren's shoulders. "Quite spacing out like that!"

Eren gasped and came back to his senses. "Huh?"

Hange let go of his shoulders. "Is this a part of your weird habit too?"

Eren's eyes widened as he remembered his memory. 'What the hell was that?! Why did I do that to Hange-san!'

Hange took a sip from her tea.

'I can't tell her about it.' Ereb thought. 'I have to avoid this conversation.'

Hange put her cup down. "So any idea about why you said every subjects of Ymir is connected to the Coordinates?"

"Uh?" Eren said. "May be I blurted it out as I have a friend named Ymir."

"You do?" Hange asked.

"Yeah." Eren said. "I'm not sure which regiment she'll be joining."

"I see." Hange said.

"Squad leader Hange, would you be so kind as to tell me more about your experiments?" Eren said.

"Really?" Hange asked with excitement.

"Yes. I think it might prove useful in tomorrow's experiments if I learn as much as I can." Eren said with an awkward smile.

"Right." Hange said and nodded, cheeks pink in delight. "I did skip over some of the details in my summary earlier. Let me tell you everything then. It may end up taking quite a while though."

"That's fine." Eren replied with a smile.

"When we first captured a Titan, I made a hypothesis" Hange started.
.

The night turned into morning.

"So you've learned nothing new from what I told you, right? You should have learned all this as a trainee. You knew it all, right?" Hange asked, still joyous.

"Yes. I leaned a lot of new information. Thanks." Eren said, tired.

"So let's go over it again, and this time I'll add my personal opinions and assumptions!" Hange said.

Eren just nodded at her proposal.

"First of all, the Titans-" Hange said.

Suddenly, Moblit threw open the doors and barged in. "Is Squad leader Hange here?! The experiment subjects... Both of the Titans were killed!"
.
.

Hange cried out as two skeletal Titan remains steamed.

"Sonny! Bean! This can't be for real!" She said, clutching her hair, falling to her knees. "Someone tell me I'm dreaming!"
.

Eren watched, wearing the hood of his cloak.

The Levi squad was beside him.

"Those experimental subjects were very valuable." Gunther said. "Was it a soldier?"

"Yes." Erd said, looking at the Hange. "The culprits are still unknown. Both Titans were killed before sunrise. When a guard spotted them, they escaped using their 3D Maneuver Gear."

"So it was a premeditated move by at least two people?" Gunther said and frowned.

"Check it out! Squad Leader Hange is losing her shit." Oluo said.

Petra narrowed her eyes and immediately jabbed her elbow painfully into his ribs, making him cry out.

"What just..." Eren muttered.

"Let's go." Levi said. "This is the jurisdiction of the Police." He walked away.

"Yes, sir." Eren replied but didn't leave.

Erwin approached Eren, put his hands on his shoulders and leaned in. "What do you see there? Who do you think is the enemy?"

Eren's expression changed to monotonous. "Everyone... on the other side of the sea..."

Erwin looked at him with confusion for a moment. "Sorry, it's a strange thing to ask." He stood up straight and walked away, joining Levi.

Eren gasped and came back to his senses. He turned around and watched as Erwin left with Levi. He glanced at Hange, who was still crying, one more time before leaving.

'Accros the sea... within the Walls... we all are the same...'

________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.5K 2K 11
When Levi takes a particular disliking to a new Cadet... What could be his reason? Book 2 now out - "Dont you want me?"
15.1K 586 28
(NSFW warning and trigger warning!) "ℑ'𝔳𝔢 𝔨𝔦𝔩𝔩𝔢𝔡 𝔰𝔬 𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔶 𝔭𝔢𝔬𝔭𝔩𝔢. 𝔖𝔬 𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔶 𝔬𝔣 𝔪𝔶 𝔠𝔬𝔪𝔯𝔞𝔡𝔢𝔰. ℑ 𝔡𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔡𝔢𝔰𝔢𝔯...
270K 8.7K 81
DISCONTINUED The reader will be gender neutral This book will include scenarios and headcanons of Mikasa. Requests are open so feel free to request...
28.4K 581 60
Spoiler alert! What if in an alternative universe, after Mikasa frees Ymir from her pain of love, Ymir decided to do the world a favour, as well as g...