Rise From The Ashes (A Pokemo...

By LucarioTheOne777

On the first day of his journey with his rebellious starter, Ash befriends two foreign Pokemon; a Riolu and a... More

New Pains, Brand New Start
Gain And Loss
Out With The Mellow, Through The Woods
Trial By Stone
Psi Me To The Moon
Cerulean Splashdown
A Haunting First Loss
Sanctuary Of The Forsaken Mons
How Charmander Got His Blaze Back
Hoodlums In A Half-Shell
Trauma Shock Showdown
Surprise On The St. Anne
Into The Depths
Lost In The Tropics
Beauty And The Bully
Tentacruel And Unsual Punishment
Psychic Squabble
Psi Of The Beholder
Kindred Spirits
Mankey Business
Of Perfumes And Prejudice
Hypno Havoc
A Grand Prix Of Mega Proportions
Venom Of The Ninja
Little Blob Of Horrors
The Next Eevee-Lution
Thunderous Ambush
Unholy Matrimony
Trials Of The Forest King
Aiden's Prehistoric Panic
The Ultimate Test
The Egg Of Joy
Mystery Of The Lighthouse
The Burning Question
Volcanic Panic
Giovanni
Blast Off For The Earth Badge
An Overgrown Reunion
Red
The Champion Returns
Crisis At The Corral
The Origin
A Storming Tragedy
Saving Private Green
The Rise Of Mewtwo
League Battle By Fire
Taking It By The Horn
Villain Village Squabble
Four's A Crowd
Homefield Advantage
All In
The New Frontier
The Silph Situation
The Symbol Life
Let The Flames Begin
Fossil Fools
A Bare-Knuckled Brawl
The Little Drummer Ape
Oliver And The Gang
Maxing Out And Meeting The Monarch
Double Battle, Double Victory
The Dynamo Tynamo
J
Rocking It At The Virbank Contest
The Wandering Champion
The Imitation Confrontation

A Bone To Pick

803 14 18
By LucarioTheOne777

And so the Battle Frontier arc begins! Bet you weren't expecting this, huh? Well, sit down, SHUT UP, and enjoy!

—------------------------------------------

After separating with Misty and Brock during his congratulatory party for his placement in the Indigo Conference, Ash and his Pokemon are now on a new journey to conquer the Battle Frontier. Now joined by old friend Serena and a newly-humbled Gary, the three set their sights on Saffron City, where they hope to catch the Magnet Train for Ash's first Frontier Battle in Goldenrod City. But for now, the group decided to stop in Vermillion City for a short break before hitting the road back to Safforn.

Cobalt: *sighs* Vermillion City. Really takes me back.

Gary: So, this is where you won the Thunder Badge, Ash?

Ash: A bit more than that, but it's also where Cobalt evolved from Riolu. And where I began to conquer my fear of Electric-types after.... You know.

Serena was confused at what Ash meant, but the empathetic look on Gary's face made it clear this was a serious matter, so she diddn't pressure him. As they were walking, the group was taking in the few special sights around when Ash accidentally collided with someone big, tall, and certainly muscled, falling to his back.

Green: Ash!

Both Green and Gaary leaned down, helping Ash to his feet.

Gary: You alright?

Ash: *groans* Yeah. Sorry about walking into you.

???: Don;t worry about- Huh?

Ash blinked as he looked up to the other person before realizing just who it was he bumped into.

Ash: Lt. Surge?!

Indeed it was Surge, the familiar war veteran and Vermillion City gym leader and wow. Lt. Surge clearly grew older for only being a year since he saw the man. Still hella intimidating though, even when his hair had grown white at some of the roots and the adorable and famous Raichu by his side. Seeing the man, Serena cowered a bit as Gary looked suspiciously at the man.

Lt. Surge: Well, if it ain;t the little runt and his party! *smirks* How do you do, squirt?

Ash: *smirks* Just fine, old man.

The other two humans were surprised at Ash's response, but Lt. Surge smiled and nodded in approval as Cobalt spoke to Raichu, giving him a salute like before.

Cobalt: Good to see you again, Sir.

Raichu: *slautes, chuckles* At ease, soldier.

Lt. Surge: Saw you and your team in the Pokemon League, nice work. Real proud of you using that Rotom.

Ash: I... Thank you, sir.

Lt. Surge: So, what brings your scrawny bee-hind back to Vermillion since you already have my badge? Did you.... Come to take my OTHER FINGER?!

He then shows off his left hand, which is revealed to be missing a ring finger. The sight made Serena squeamish and Gary gasp in shock.

Gary: Holy crap! You lost your finger in the war?!

Lt. Surge: War? No, my momma told me not to run with scissors.... Some lessons need to be learned the hard way.

Ash: Well... I'm actually competing in the Battle Frontier.

Lt. Surge: The Battle Frontier, eh? Well, you must've impressed Scott with your skills. Can't say I'd thnk he was crazy, you might have a shot.

Serena: We're on our way to Saffron to chatch the train since our first stop is Goldenrod City in Johto.

Ash: Yeah, and... I still have problems trying to get to Saffron. There was the St. Anne, but....

Lt. Surge: Yeah, I heard. No worries, we have a way for people to get to Saffron without that old dinghey. *points over* Over that way is Route 6. If you keep going straight in that idrection, yo'll be in Saffron in no time.

Green: *sighs* That's a relief.

Ash: Thank you, Sir.

Lt. Surge: *chuckles* Any time, runt.

The man ruffled the boy's hair, making him frown at the gesture before a worried trainer approached them, a brown duck Pokemon in his arms as the duck feebly clutched onto a thin onion.

Trainer: You guys! Do any of you know where the Pokemon Center is?!

Gary: *points over* Right there.

Trainer: *relieved* Oh, thank Arceus. You're gonn be okay, Farfetch'd!

Lt. Surge: What happened to your Farfetch'd, son?

Trainer: At the Rock Tunnel, I... I saw it. This huge... weird.... *runs off* It was Old Kabu!

Serena: *confused* Old Kabu?

Lt. Surge: Oh great. He's at it again.

Cobalt: Something tells me we should check out this so-called "Old Kabu".

Ash led the way as he, Gary, Serena, and the two Pokemon made their way to the entrance to the Rcok Tunnel, which was on the edge of town.

Serena: Nothing huge and weird I can see.

Green: What about that?

Right by the entrance of the Rock Tunnel stood a Pokemon, a mostly eptilian one with brown kin and a cream stomach. Its head resembled that of a skull with red eyes and a bone was perched under its arm, the Pokemon leaning on it in order to prop itself up.

Ash: A Marowak? What's a Marowak doing here? I thought only Cubone and Diglett live here?

Serena: *takes out Pokedex* Marowak?

Pokedex: Marowak, the Bone Keeper Pokemon and the evolved form of Cubone. A Ground type. With a hardened spirit and relentless determination, Marowak overcame its sorrow to become stronger in honor of its parent. Marowak thump their bones rhythmically to communicate among themselves, with there being nearly 50 different rhythmic patterns.

Gary: So..... That's Old Kabu?

Suddenly, Surge walked up behind them, having been listening to the conversation.

Lt. Surge: Indeed he is. But unfortunately, he wasn't always like this.

Ash: What do you mean?

Lt. Surge: You see, a few years ago, a Trainer like you challenged my gym with a spindly little Cubone. He lost since he didn't train it and as such, that guy abandoned the poor whelp here at the Rock Tunnel. *sympathetic* Since then, he's marked it as his territory, training himse to the very limit. And any trainer foolish enough to ander too close gets their Pokemon dominated by the now evolved "Old Kabu"...

The group grew much more sympathtic towards the Marowak, with Ash being the most impacted. After all, one of his best friends was abandoned by his trainer, which actually sounded like Damian.

Lt. Surge: That little literal dirtbag has been nothing but trouble for any travelers that come in through route 11. It's about time we end this fued.

Gary: But don't you usually use Electric-type Pokemon, which are weak to Ground-types?

Lt. Surge: No worries, kid. I got this covered.

The Marowak nearly fell over asleep before Surge walked up to it, Raichu by his side.

Lt. Surge: Hey, Kabu! Remember me?!

Kabu: ...*narrows eyes* You.

Lt. Surge: That's right. I bet you want some payback, eh? Well.... You're gonna have to get past my secret weapon. *throws Pokeball* Chinchou, go!

From the thrown Pokeball came forth a blue fish-like Pokemon with a round body, large yellow eyes with plus-shaped pupils, small fins for hands and feet, and two large antenna tippd with yellow bulbs coming from behind it.

Ash: Woah. *takes out Pokedex* A Chinchou.

Pokedex: Chinchou, the Angler Pokémon. A Water and Electric type. Chinchou have the ability to conduct electrical currents from their two tentacles, which flow positive from one end and negative from the other. Chinchou can also communicate underwater by flashing its tentacles.

Serena: But isn;t Chinchou still weak to Ground moves?

Gary: Yeah, but it's also a Water type, so it has the advantage too.

Cobalt: I need some popcorn, this is gonna get good.

Raichu: You said it.

Lt. Surge: Alright, Chinchou! Start off with Water Gun!

The angler sprayed a blast of water from its mouth, which the Maroak dodged. Kabu then ran forward, yelling as he reeled his bone back.

Ash: It's about to use Bone Club!

Lt. Surge: Dodge it! Then Bubble Beam!

Chinchou swooped out of the way of the attack before it then unleashed a flurry of bubbles at Kabu, who yelled in pain as the bubbles hit him in the stomach.

Lt. Surge: Nice work! Now Chinchou, use Water Gun!

Chinchou once again sprayed Kabu, only for him to jump and then throw his bne at Choinchou, which struck it down.

Lt. Surge: Chinchou!

Gary: That was Bonemerang!

After catching the bone, Kabu grabbed it and leapt again, slamming it into Chinchou with Bone Club, causing it to faint as the soldier then recalled his Pokemon.

Lt. Surge: You did your best, Private. Get some rest.

The Marowak smirked at the soldier before he then turned to the group, spotting Ash as he then pointed his bone at him.

Kabu: You! I sense something within you. It... interests me. I DEMAND you battle me!

Green: Battle you? Are you nuts?!

Gary: What's going on?

Serena: I think... Kabu is challenging Ash to battle.

Ash looked at the Ground-type, surprised at the fact he was outright challenged by a wild Pokemon, but the fact this was a Pokemon that had taken on a multitude of trainers in the past. Though he had to get to Saffron, a little practice never hurt.

Ash: Alright, Kabu, I accept. *stern* But if you lose, you have to leave Rock Tunnel and stop assaulting trainers.

Kabu: ...*chuckles* I never lose. So, I accept. Show me your skill!

Ash nodded, reching for a Pokeball before one of his opened by itself, releasing Hunter. The wolf stared down the Bone Keeper as her eyes turned red.

Ash: Hunter? YOU want to battle Kabu?

Cobalt: But Rock-type Pokemon are weak to Ground-types.

Hunter: *looks back* Well... *smiles* I have to prove I can be in the Battle Frontier somehow.

Lt. Surge: Is... Is this kid serious?!

Gary: Hold on a sec. Ash knows what he's doing.

Kabu: *smiles* This will be too easy. *curls hand to self* Alright, you may have the first strike. I feel.... Merciful today.

Ash: Alright then. Hunter, use Accelerock!

The Lycanroc charged forth, covered in energy as Kabu also charged forth, ready to swing his bone.

Green: Another Bone Club!

Ash: Once you hit him, use Crunch!

She struck the Marowak in stomach before biting down onto him, causing him to yell out in pain. As Kabu was released and droopped back onto the ground, he panted heavily before yelling out and preparing another Bone Club attack.

Ash: Accelerock all around him!

Just like in her battle with AJ, Hunter ran around in a circle at fast speed around the Bone Keeper Pokemon and confused him.

Serena: She's fast.

Ash: Now Stone Edge!

Hunter fired off several smaller stones, which hit the Marowak head on before she began running again while Kabuu lifted his bone up.

Lt. Surge: Is he just going to use Bone Club?

However, instead of Kabu slamming the bone down, the bone glows pink as Kabu then swings it around in a circle, striking Hunter and stopping her dash around him and making her collapse.

Ash: Hunter! *about Kabu* What was that?

Gary: *takes out Pokedex* Pokedex, analyze last used move of Marowak.

Pokedex: Brutal Swing, a Dark type move. Brutal Swing has the user swing its body around violently to inflict damage on everything in its vicinity.

As Hunter panted while lying on the ground, Kabu panted as well, using his bon to support himself.

Gary: Guess that last move takes a lot of Kabu's stamina to use.

Lt. Surge: Looks like your Mon's wiped out, runt. Best to recall her.

Ash: ....No.... *smiles* No, Hunter's just fine.

Gary: You sure about that, Ash?

Ash: Hunter, you can still battle! I know you can! Get up!

With her trainer's words reaching her ears, Hunter struggled to get up, managing to balance herself on three of her legs as she tried to stand up completely and put pressure on her other front paw.

Cobalt: Come on, Hunter! You got this!

Serena: Ash, she can;t fight anymore, Hunter's tired!

Ash: No way, I know she can fight, Serena! I believe in Hunter!

Serena: *surprised* B... Believe?

Ash: Hunter's not giving up. And as long as none of my Pokemon give up, neither will I!

Green: Now get up and show us you can take the Frontier!

With a growl of determination, Hunter stood up completely, howling valorously as Kabu smirked.

Kabu: Impressive! Now... *charges* Prepare for your defeat!

Gary: It's gonna attack again!

Ash: Hunter, combine Rock Climb and Stone Edge now! Use Rock Railgun!

Lt. Surge: "Rock Railgun"?

The Lycanroc's claws glowed white and glowed as she then howled, causing a mountain to rise from the ground under the Marowak. As she climbed, Hunter unleashed a few Stone Edge stones at Kabu. The Bone Keeper deflected maybe two or three before he was assaulted by the wolf's claws and peppered by a massive Stone Edge. As the mountain receded into the ground, abu hit the ground, barely conscious as Hunter landed perfectly safe.

Green: Alright, we beat him!

Cobalt: Almost....

With a groan, Kabu tried to push himself up, but greatly struggled to do so. That was until however... That Cobalt started cheering for the enemy.

Cobalt: Hang in there, Kabu! I want you to get up! Come on, you got this!

Hunter: What are you doing, Cobalt?! He's the enemy!

Cobalt: It's not over until one of you guys is truly done.

Ash heard this, spotting Kabu actually starting to get up. Though he wanted to win, the battle was pretty fun for him as he started cheering as well.

Ash: Come on, Kabu! Get up, you can do it!

Gary: Are you crazy, Ketchum?! You're cheering for your opponent!

Lt. Surge: What're ya doin', kid?!

Ash: He's like Hunter... Kabu isn't giving up either.

Cobalt: Yeah, that's right! Show us your power!

Ash: Come on, get up!

Though surprised at his opponent cheering for him to get up, Kabu managed to prop himself up with his bone, keeping a shaky stance as he stood. Serena gasped at the sight, surprised that Ash and Cobalt would do such a thing. But then again... Ash wasn't like anyone she's met.

Green: Aw, dammit! You two should've kept your mouths shut!

Hunter: So.... You still got up... *smiles* Respect. Alright, let's do-

Suddenly, the Marowak fell over, going unconscious.

Hunter: .....This?

Gary: No way.... You.... You beat him!

Lt. Surge: *smiles* 'Well.... I'll be damned. Kid might have what it takes, after all.'

Surge and Raichu had to return to the gym, though they were fine since they stockpiled on healing items. Meanwhile however, Ash and his friends waited at the Pokemon Center where a Chancey wheeled in Hunter and Kabu on a cart.

Nurse Joy: The Pokemon you brought in are back in perfect condition.

Ash: Thank you, Nurse Joy.

Kabu hopped off the cart as he walked out of the Pokemon Center, where the others followed close behind.

Kabu: Well, it would seem.... I have been defeated. I am a Pokemon of my word, so this town shall never see me again. After all... Other battles await me.

Ash: You must really like to battle, huh?

The Marowak looked in confusion at the boy, who had just repeated what he had just said.

Hunter: He can understand Pokemon.

Kabu: Hmm... That must be the aspect that interested me enough to challenge him.

Ash: Hey, Kabu. I have an idea. Why not come with us?

Kabu: With you?... As a trained Pokemon?

Cobalt: Yeah., we're going up against the Battle Frontier and with your skill, I can tell you can really help out the team. Plus, we can get stronger together.

Ash: So, what do you say?

The Marowak looked to the boy, sensing the hope in his eyes, much like the hope he had lost when he was abandoned. Ash had shwn that he was worthy to train him and technically, he had won their battle, so he simply looked away, motioned with his hand, and smirked.

Green: So, you're in?

The Marowak nodded, eliciting Ash to smile and softly toss a Pokeball, which hit Kabu's forehead and sucked him inside. After 2 or 3 roks, the ball locked.

Ash: *picks up Pokeball* I caught Old Kabu.

Serena: Congratulations, Ash.

Gary: For a little guy, he's surprisingly strong. The Battle Frontier made be a snap with that guy on your team.

Ash: Speaking of which... *throws Pokeball* Kabu, come on out!

However as the ball opened, Kabu didn;t materialize. Though before Ash could get worried, Kabu tried to strike Cobalt from behind with Bone Club, which the Lucario easily dodged.

Cobalt: You really will make a good asset to the team.

The Marowak simply looked away and smiled as they headed back inside the Pokemon Center for a long rest. Though they weren't any closer to Goldenrod, Ash had caught a new friend in the form of Kabu. As to how the Marowak will strengthen Ash's hold of his dream is to be determined, as the journey continues......

—------------------------------------------

Suddenly, the camera cuts back to Route 1, where the body of the Leader Pikachu is shown heavily cut up, bloodied, and bruised as it was leaned against a tree. A light shown from above the mouse, which caused him to shakily awaken.

Leader Pikachu: Uh..... W......What?

He looks up at the sky and clouds, amazed at the sight of three Celebi descendeding to him. However, these Celebi were different as they were white instead of green and small rings floated over their heads. The one in the lead reached a hand out to the Piachu, who smiled waverly as he reached to grab it as he was floated up towards the loight.

But suddenly, a hand extends out from the blood puddle the Pikachu left behind and muh to the rat's fear, the arm grabs him by the tail and drags him through the puddle. He falls through what sems to be an endless chasm as red, maniacal looking Sableye with black gems for eyes. The little gremlins laughed maniacally all the way down until they all hit the ground.

With the Sableye gone, Pikachu looks around him, horrified at the sight of himself in a large alternate dimension. A purple and black void filled the atmosphere as floating pieces of landed scattered throughout the realm, several bone-chillg screams filled the air as he looked around frightfully.

Leader Pikachu: What.... What is this?

As he looks around, the Pikachu spots an ascending pathway going up to an arch obscured with smoke. Curiosity getting the better of him, the mouse walked up the path towards the arch before a large gust almost blew him away. The gust however cleared the smoke away to reveal the large monstrosity behind it. The Pikachu looked up to see a large skeletal dragon-like creature, a magenta glow obscuring most of its shape as 6 eyes looked down upon the rat.

Leader Pikachu: *threatening* Stay back!

However, it didn;t stay back as the dragon leaned its head down as small sparks formed from its horns and onto the ground, taking the shape of a furious Ash, Cobalt, and Green. Pikachu looked at the bolts, almost as if the dragon was tempting him with the opportunity for vengeance. However, he was dead, there wasn;t anything he could do now... But then again, the chanc to take down his former tainer and the human that ruined his life. The opportunity.... It was just so....... Intoxicating.....

As the bolts fizzled out, Pikachu looked up to the dragon as he then kneeled to him, saying he was willing to take the deal. Nodding, the dragon screeched before it exposed the swirling core in its ribcage, which then fired a lightning bolt that struck the Pikachu. Suddenly, the mouse sparked before looking down, seehis arm elongated and bulk up, horrendous pain coursing through the rodent's body whale he screamed, his bones rearranging and muscles tearing to form new alignments as electricity coated his now twisted and contorting form.

With one last yell, the Pikachu collapsed as the lightning overcame him and dissipated, revealing his new form. The dragon odded as the then Pikachu stood with its eyes closed as the camera zoomed into its face and its electric blue eyes opened with a new aura consuming them.

The aura.... Of vengeance.....

To be continued....?

—---------------------------------------------------

Ash's Team

Lucario: Cobalt

Sceptile: Green

Alakazam: Psi

Gengar: Yami

Charizard: Aidan

Inteleon: Azula

Togetic: Kestrel

Lycanroc *Dusk form*: Hunter

Marowak: Kabu

Rotom: Sparky (at Oak's lab)

Umbreon *shiny*: Blacky (at home)

Serena's Team

Fennekin: Kyubi

Gary's Team

Blastoise

Jolteon

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

804 28 11
A rewrite of the first Pokemon movie with lots of new exciting twists. An alternate ending to the anime over 20 years in the making.
31.7K 341 13
Ash has just lost in the Indigo League, due to his Charizard's disobedience. As he and Pikachu are thinking things over by a lake, they are sure in f...
52.5K 651 52
Rankings; #850 in Fanfiction #559 in Pokemon This is a story About Ash Ketchum who was Betrayed by his formal friends and family who are: Misty, May...
69.7K 1.3K 33
One explosion changes everything.... When the world loses it's beloved hero Ash Ketchum everyone falls to despair, so in honor of his death 5 years l...