Raven and Rue // Lindensea 1

By ella_rowan

๐—” ๐—ฏ๐—ผ๐˜† ๐˜„๐—ต๐—ผ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—น๐—ธ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ถ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—น๐˜€. ๐—” ๐—บ๐˜†๐˜€๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐˜€ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ด ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ฎ ๏ฟฝ... More

Introduction
ACCOLADES
PART ONE
Chapter 1: Boy, Bird, and Beast
Chapter 2: The Russian Rider
Chapter 3: Dark Days
Chapter 4: Fool's Gold
Chapter 5: Among the Yew Trees
Chapter 6: The Way to Camden Town
Chapter 7: The Clerk of the Kitchen
Chapter 8: Life at the Palace
Chapter 9: The Spring Festival
Chapter 10: The Watchman and the Maiden
PART TWO
Chapter 11: Rue
Chapter 12: A Royal Return
Chapter 13: The Godfather
Chapter 14: Raven
Chapter 15: The Prince
Chapter 16: "Belle of the Ball"
Chapter 17: The Birthday Banquet
Chapter 18: The Princess in the Tower
Chapter 20: An Unexpected Visitor
Chapter 21: Under the Lindens
Chapter 22: The Scent of Bluebells
PART THREE
Chapter 23: Lunch With the Family
Chapter 24: In the Heart of the Wood
Chapter 25: The Lady in Black
Chapter 26: Birthday Surprise
Chapter 27: Doctor of Stars
Chapter 28: The House of Luna
Chapter 29: Honey Moon
Chapter 30: Ever After
READ NEXT: A SHORT STORY

Chapter 19: At the Stroke of Midnight

91 30 171
By ella_rowan

When it was time for the ball to begin, Princess Alice led the other ladies and Pip down the red carpet of the great white and gold marble staircase. Bernard stood at the bottom, as if eagerly waiting to see Pip again, and he looked up as Pip began descending.

Alice had touched up Pip's face, redone his hair, and added a fine mist of luxurious scent over him, and he felt that he really was looking his best. He tried to glide down the stairs as elegantly as the beautiful Alice, and managed quite well. His shoes were rubbing the back of his heels though.

Bernard was gazing at Pip as if a heavenly vision approached him, and was ready to take Pip's arm as soon as his foot left the last stair.

"Would you care to dance, Miss LaMidnight?" he asked, a faint smile upon his lips.

"Shouldn't you ask Princess Dorothea first?" Pip asked. "She's your guest."

"Father doesn't dance, as you know, so Dorothea obligingly said she would sit with dear Cousin Peter for the duration of the ball, and keep him company," Bernard said, gesturing to them.

King Peter was comfortably seated on a red velvet sofa with his metal foot on a little velvet stool. Princess Dorothea sat on one side of him, and her pretty lady-in-waiting Lady Sybil on the other.

 Both ladies were ready to fetch King Peter hot coffee, or iced water, or anything he desired, and their conversation seemed very lively, for King Peter was chuckling into his beard, and Princess Dorothea was actually smiling at whatever Lady Sybil was saying. She had a nice smile when it finally arrived, and often looked at Lady Sybil as if glad to have a real friend with her.

"You see, she is quite content where she is," Bernard said. "So won't you join me for the first dance, Miss LaMidnight?"

"I would like that very much, sir," said Pip demurely, and then Bernard swept him into his arms, so they were the first people on the dance floor. Even when Pip was wearing high heels, Bernard still towered over him, which made him feel very dainty and fragile.

The Royal Lindensea Orchestra struck up a lively tune, but Pip slipped in his shoes almost immediately, and looked embarrassed, because a few people tittered.

"They polish this floor far too much, it's an absolute hazard," Bernard said solicitously. "With your permission, Miss LaMidnight, I will hold you a little closer for safety."

"Thank you sir, I think it might be for the best," Pip smiled, beginning to feel more at ease.

Bernard gathered Pip to his chest, holding him gently, but very firmly, taking Pip's hand. Pip was glad to be wearing white kid gloves, which covered his little paws, roughened and scarred by working in the kitchen.

"Do you enjoy dancing, or get many opportunities to dance, Miss LaMidnight?" Bernard asked hesitantly.

Pip flushed. He did like dancing, but the wild flings around the hall he'd done with his parents, or the merry madcaps the kitchen staff had in the common room to let off steam had done little to prepare him for the ballroom. He had danced with boys as well as girls, but never backwards, and never in high heels.

"I love music and dancing," he said timidly, "but I'm not used to this style, and not sure what to do."

"Well, ladies have the advantage in this case at least," Bernard said. "The dancing is all my responsibility, you have only to follow my lead. Relax and let your body move with mine ... That's it ... You're doing very well, Miss LaMidnight."

Pip found if he stayed loose and supple, it was easy to follow Bernard's lead, just as he learned to move with his horse when riding. And as with riding, dancing gave him a wonderful feeling of freedom, of being fully in his body while at the same time, skimming above the floor like thistledown on the wind.

"You're so light on your feet, Miss LaMidnight," Bernard said admiringly.

"You're a good teacher," Pip said with a blush.

The first song finished, and the orchestra's band leader came forward on stage, introducing himself as Nick Dagger. He was thin and agile with a shock of dark hair, and as a new song began, he wailed out:

He was born in a crossbow hurricane
And he howled at his mam in the driving rain

"I love this song," Pip said, his feet easily dancing to the compelling rhythm. "What's it about?"

"It's about me," admitted Bernard. "When I was born, we were at war against the Picts with our allies from Everwick, and as I came into the world howling my lungs out, the final battle was just beginning on a wet day. Mother went everywhere with Father, even to the front line during war when she was nine months pregnant."

"She must have been an amazing woman," Pip said.

"Mother was madly tough, and of course she was from Everwick herself, so longing to see her home country again. I think it pleased her to give birth to her first child there, and she'd always say to me, You may be the Crown Prince of Lindensea, but you're an Everwick man born and bred."

Pip suddenly realised where the soft lilt in Bernard's voice came from, and then they both clapped Nick Dagger as he bowed and retreated to the back of the stage.

Next on was a faintly elfin man holding a harp, who stared at the crowd with cat-like eyes. Before he said a word or sang a note, reverential applause spread through the ballroom, everyone turning to give him their full attention.

"Who is he?" Pip whispered to Bernard.

Bernard gave a start, and said, "Oh, that's Father's Welsh bard, Dylan Bowen. He's er, rather good."

It seemed to Pip that Dylan Bowen was looking straight at him, as he announced to the assembled throng, "Greetings, my friends. I have a request from someone who finds it hard to say how they feel, so this song is dedicated to a very special person here tonight."

Dylan Bowen began plucking his harp, and singing in a clear, beautiful voice, each note having an almost magical resonance.

Let's dance
Put on your silver shoes and pearls
Let's romance
Because you're not like other girls

Pip looked at his shoes and pearls, before giving a disbelieving smile at Bernard, who grinned sheepishly as he took Pip in his arms for the dance. Pip hummed along, before he realised that Bernard was looking softly into his eyes, and singing under his breath:

My love for you
Shall break my heart in two
Until you fall into my arms
And tremble like a flower

"Miss LaMidnight, are you getting tired from dancing?" Bernard asked, after clearing his throat. "Would you like a drink, or to step outside for some fresh air?"

"Perhaps for a minute," Pip said. He was loving dancing with Bernard, feeling his body against his, Bernard's hands holding him tenderly. But it would be nice to escape from the heat of the ballroom, the curious stares, and the crush of people around them.

Bernard led Pip out of the ballroom – not up the stairs, but through some double doors at the back that led into a hallway. He called a footman to bring them a jug of cold water and two glasses, and once he had them, used a key on another door, which opened into a small courtyard lit up with lanterns.

"It's so beautiful here," Pip said in delight, as he strolled among the pools and fountains.

"This is a private courtyard, just for the family," said Bernard. "I like coming here to think when I need to clear my head, or just to get away from... things. You'd never guess that if you walked through that arched door on the other side, you'd come out quite near the front steps of the castle."

Bernard put the tray with their drinks down on a stone table in a little pavilion covered in wisteria, before putting one arm around Pip and walking beside him. The full moon was reflected in a circular pool filled with lilies, looking like a gold coin floating in the water.

"I would like to know more about you," Bernard began. "I mean, you know about me, and you've seen where I live, and met my family. Tell me about Raven."

"I grew up in the country," said Pip shyly. "Both my parents are dead, and I came to Camden with my granny, searching for a better life."

"And did you find it?"

"At first, then Granny died. Granny left me two hundred gold coins – enough for me to live comfortably and plan my future. But the lawyers made sure I never got a copper of it. They threatened to send me to prison, and I was forced to work in a kitchen."

"That's dreadful. But you have a godfather, I believe?" Bernard asked. "Is he ... does he treat you well, Raven?"

"Yes, although he's a funny sort of person," Pip said. "He got me the job riding at the palace entertainment, and gave me this dress to wear to your birthday party."

"Well, he has surprisingly good taste in ballgowns," said Bernard, looking at it in appreciation. "You look lovely in it, but I don't suppose it's any great secret how I admire you."

"Not since I featured on your birthday cake and in a song," Pip said with a pert smile.

"Little minx," said Bernard fondly, squeezing his bare arm. "But Raven, may I ask if you believe in love at first sight?"

"Yes, Bernard. I do," Pip said soberly. "I met someone a few years ago, and although we only spoke for an hour or so while we went horse riding, in that time I believe I fell quite in love with him."

"And what happened to this thrice-blessed man?" Bernard asked, with a slight chill in his voice.

"He went away the next day, abroad actually. I never told him how I felt," Pip said.

"Speaking of which, when are we going to go riding together?" asked Bernard. "The stables are quite at your disposal."

"I would truly love that, Bernard," Pip said. "But perhaps we should wait until after Princess Dorothea has gone home, in case it makes gossip."

"Oh well, she's probably going to be here quite some time," said Bernard awkwardly.

"Permanently?" Pip asked, a hollow feeling in his chest.

"Perhaps. I'm not completely sure yet, and I probably shouldn't say anything about it at all," said Bernard, looking torn.

Pip broke away from Bernard's grasp, and went to the pavilion for a glass of water, turning his back. Bernard was in the process of securing Princess Dorothea as his bride, and only wanted Pip as his mistress ... or paramour, Pip thought confusedly. Only he didn't even know Pip existed, the person he really wanted was Raven.

"This is all such a mess," Pip said in hopeless tones.

"Raven, dear?" said Bernard, coming into the pavilion. "I didn't want to upset you. All I wanted was to tell you how much I care for you, and that I'd do anything to make you safe and happy."

He took Pip into his arms, and despite his promise to Granny Bennett, Pip put his head against Bernard's deep chest and nestled there. There was something so big and comforting about Bernard, and he had a rich, calming voice that made it seem as if nothing bad could ever happen as long as he was there.

Bernard held Pip's pointed chin, and looked down at him with wondering eyes, before gently brushing his lips against Pip's. Pip had promised himself that if things ever got to this point, he would proudly proclaim that he belonged only to his true love. But instead he gave a little gasp, and raised his mouth, and a moment later he had forgotten all promises, all vows. His mind was quite empty of everything except the pleasure of kissing Bernard.

There was strength in Bernard's kiss, there was sweetness. And beyond all, the vulnerability his sister had warned of, the sense that Bernard was baring his soul. The thin protective shell had shattered, and Bernard's heart was a wide open door, inviting Pip to enter, and never leave.

And then through the kiss, the moonlight, the rich scent of the wisteria, something got Pip's attention. The first bell of midnight was sounding in the Clock Tower.

"Bernard, it's twelve o'clock! I've got to go," Pip exclaimed, pulling himself away from Bernard's arms.

"No, wait! You can't keep doing this. At least explain what will happen," Bernard implored. "Please, let me protect you from your godfather."

But Pip had fled across the courtyard to the arched door, which it turned out, had a heavy bolt that was stiff from lack of use. He struggled with it as Bernard came towards him, pleading with him to stay, finally escaping through the door when it reluctantly opened with a rusty creak.

Bernard had said the door came out near the front steps - he hadn't added that the door had its own set of narrow steps. Pip almost fell down them as he hurtled out the door, and one of his shoes came off. He left it on the step where it fell, and ran as fast as he could while wearing a long dress and one shoe.

Meanwhile, Bernard had picked up the lost silver shoe, and was calling for the palace guards.

"Please, find the young lady who ran away from the palace," he begged them. "She has dark hair, and is wearing a white dress. She hasn't done anything wrong, I'm only concerned for her safety. She may be in danger, so please, if you can find her, bring her to me."

There was a hue and cry as they all went looking for Raven, and soon it was spread among them that the girl was nothing but a dirty little ruffian, she had probably stolen something valuable.

"Thief, thief," someone shouted, and if they had ever found Raven, I fear what might have been her fate, they were so overexcited and filled with vengeance against her.

But when the crowd eventually did find someone wandering around the palace grounds, it was an ordinary fair-haired boy wearing a kitchen uniform, and with bare feet (he had kicked the other shoe under a bush).

"You there, boy! Who are you?" asked the head of the palace guard, pointing a heavy pike at Pip.

"I'm Pip Lenoir. I work in the kitchens, sir," a very frightened Pip replied.

"And what are you doing, sneaking around the palace grounds like a thief?" the head of the guards demanded.

"I ... don't know," said poor Pip. "I haven't stolen anything."

"If you were meant to be working, you've stolen time from your masters," said the head of the guard grimly.

He nodded his head to two guards, who grabbed Pip, and twisted his arms behind his back.

"I'll take you to Mr Smedley, and see what he has to say," declared the head of the guard. "You're in a lot of trouble, boy."

And the guards dragged Pip painfully towards the kitchens with his arms twisted and sore, even as he protested that he would come willingly, there was no need for any of this. If they would only let go – please – they were hurting him ...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

118K 3.3K 47
หš.เผ„| ๐—•๐—Ÿ๐—จ๐—˜ ๐—™๐—Ÿ๐—”๐— ๐—˜๐—ฆ โ™กโ‹†.เณƒเฟ”* ใ€ ๐™ท๐™ฐ๐š๐š๐šˆ ๐™ฟ๐™พ๐šƒ๐šƒ๐™ด๐š ใ€‘เผ„*เณƒโ‹…ยฐโœง ยฐ . ยท เผ„ โ‡ฒ ใ“ใ‚“ใซใกใฏ๐–๐‡๐€๐“ ๐‡๐€๐๐๐„๐๐’ when a boy who Likes a girl, W...
49.5K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2ร— on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...
9.8K 864 32
He's short a fairy godmother, without a voice, and - by the way - he isn't a Cinderella at all. He's all male. Doesn't mean he's not looking for love...
13.4K 511 25
18+ Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet set in a magical fae world. Two powerful families have ruled over the the dark and light fae for thousands of y...