Ancient Wanderers - The Witch...

By GrinningArtist

The life of a 𝓦𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓼 is a lonely one. A woman travels the Continent, helping those in need whe... More

Extended Summary
Characters
Chapter 1: The Smell of Venom
Chapter 2: Four Marks
Chapter 4: The End's Beginning
Chapter 5: Another Pet
Chapter 6: The Edge of the World
Chapter 7: The Witch in the Woods
Chapter 8: Betrayer Moon
Chapter 9: The Striga's Kiss
Chapter 10: The Silver Lily
Chapter 11: A Favor for a Friend
Chapter 12: Of Banquets, Bastards, and Burials
Chapter 13: A Question of Price
Chapter 14: The Unspoken Promise
Chapter 15: Letters of Love and Mourning
Chapter 16: A Boon and Bargain
Chapter 17: Girls Outing

Chapter 3: The Lesser Evil

906 28 0
By GrinningArtist

· · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⊲ ✦ ⊳ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · ·

𝓡𝓮𝓷𝓯𝓻𝓲 has stayed by my side for many moons. I have taught her much. From hunting to fighting to the art of persuasion. Under my tutelage, she has grown into a remarkable woman and a valued friend.

She opened up to me the first year, telling me of her dark past. Renfri was once a princess born on the day of the Black Sun. It was only when her father married a woman known as Aridea, when her life began to crumble like dust in the wind. Her stepmother claimed that Renfri would be the cause of her death and that of many others. With the help of the sorcerer Stregobor - who believed Renfri was one of sixty women destined to bring the end of human civilization - she arranged to have the young princess murdered. However, the hired thug chose to assault her instead. Renfri ended him with a brooch through the ear. Ever since she has been on the run from Stregobor and her stepmother's men.

The moment I was told, I cut Renfri's hair and helped her dye it brown. We've trained every day since.

Aridea sent many assassins our way but my Little Rabbit has dealt with them without fail. She has even earned the name 'Shrike' due to her penchant for impaling her victims. Soon after, Renfri became so infamous that it was difficult to find anyone that would try to kill her. Then by a miraculous stroke of fate, Aridea died from poisoning. My friend and I celebrated when the news reached us.

We traveled for many moons. Renfri and her band of gnomes would spend their days robbing merchants throughout Mahakam while I sought out monsters to kill. However, the gnomes argued one day - killing each other until only Renfri and I remained. Then it was like the beginning, just us and the wilds of the Continent.

Renfri leans over my shoulder to peek at the letter I am currently writing.

"For Yennefer?"

I nod, "Yes, I just received news from her so I thought it best to respond before we move again."

My friend grunts, "What did she say?"

I chuckle at her. She's constantly jealous of Yen, complaining about how often she insists on writing to me. Brushing it off like usual, I reply, "She has completed her training and has Ascended. Yen even manipulated her way out of her original position in Nilfgaard for a better one as the court mage in Aedirn, the capital of Vengerberg. In her words, the look on Fringilla's face was brilliant - though not as brilliant as Yen's newly acquired beauty."

Renfri mutters, "Always so confident and vain."

"Reminds me of someone else in my life," I roll my eyes. "If given the chance, I believe you both would make splendid friends, Little Rabbit."

"Bullocks."

With another sigh, I rub the crown of her head, "Why don't you go downstairs and order us beer and a meal? I'll follow shortly."

She stands up with a huff, "Very well. Do be quick. We need to strategize how to entice Stregobor out of his damn tower."

I nod once as Renfri exits the room we share in the tavern.

The silence that surrounds me is broken by my scrawling writing and the sounds of the drunk folk of Blavikan.

Dearest Yen,

I do always enjoy your letters. It fills my heart with profound happiness to hear of your Ascension. You must be proud of yourself - at least a fraction of my own pride in you. I would have loved to see the look on Fringilla's face as well, however, I must warn you of making enemies in a world where they are far more common than allies.

My Little Rabbit and I have long since left her King from the east, choosing to search for the man who ruined her life instead. And yes, before you ask, I am very thankful to no longer be a guest of the King's favorite mistress. How tedious that was. Yes, boring as well.

We have chased our target across the Continent. He escaped us three times in Kovir, once in the Pontar Valley, and once in Angren. However, we are now in Blaviken with a new band of men. I believe that this time, he will not evade us. You will find this amusing: the alderman of this town attempted to kick us out of the inn we are staying at, even going as far as to request we leave Blaviken! But Renfri simply showed him the letter from her dear King Audoen that makes us untouchable.

My life has certainly become more eventful since meeting her. I thank the Little Rabbit for filling the loneliness in my heart.

Perhaps, I will visit you once we are done here? My heart could use your company just as well.

I await your next letter.

Continue to stoke the fire in your soul,

Nessa.

My hands roll the letter and tie it with an enchanted string - no one but Yennefer or I will be able to unravel the parchment. Then I wander to the window. When I open it, I whistle. My raven, Cáerme or Destiny, swoops in to perch on my shoulder. I feed him a snack before I tie the scroll to his leg.

"To Yennefer."

Cáerme squawks once before flying out into the blue sky. My warm smile lingers as I make my way down the creaky stairs of the inn. Eyes flit out to study the room. The lone wooden chandelier provides ample candlelight. The long tables are filled with many men and women alike. Though, the room is silent.

I pause on the bottom step just as Renfri's voice reaches me, "Can you not leave it alone for a moment?"

The innkeeper grumbles, "Witchers can't be trusted."

So that is what all the fuss is about. A Witcher.

I make myself known, wandering over towards Renfri and the cloaked Witcher, "Even with my lack of knowledge over our current situation, I do believe she was not speaking to you."

If possible, the silence grows heavier with my arrival.

My Little Rabbit nods and pops a hip before turning to the Witcher, "I apologize for my man's interference in your day."

I join my friend and glare at her man Vyr, "Hopefully he can improve his behavior."

Renfri finishes my statement, "By tomorrow's market."

That gives me pause, I wonder what she's planning this time. Though we are close, she does not always tell me of her machinations.

Vyr stares at my friend, though his eyes flicker to the Witcher who lowers his hood from his face. Finally the scoundrel replies, "Sorry, Renfri."

Then he draws the rest of the men away with a simple, "Come on, lads."

The fiddle resumes playing but I pay it no mind. As I slide in between Renfri and the Witcher, I allow my eyes to study him. To my surprise, it's the same man that helped me slay the basilisks many moons ago. Geralt of Rivia.

Geralt does not tower over me by much, his jaw reaching my brows. To most, his stature would be menacing, but I have seen and survived much worse than a Witcher. His wolf armor is battle worn, and the sword on his back makes him appear much taller - despite the black cloak covering most of him. My only reaction is to grimace at the swamp detritus covering his visage and hair while saying, "It has been quite some time since I last laid eyes on you, sir Geralt."

He simply hums to my greeting.

Most likely in an attempt to assuage my annoyance, Renfri chuckles and turns to the innkeep, "Beer for my friend here and two for Nessa and me."

The man crosses his arms and snorts at Geralt.

My Little Rabbit leans over the bar again and loudly says, "I am speaking to you now, good sir."

I smirk but my eyes glean with deadly promise, "It is rude to ignore a lady, not to mention two of them."

He glares at us but huffs and uncrosses his arms as he gets to work. Lively conversation resumes as he serves us three tankards of beer.

I start to pick at the food that Renfri bought us but she snatches a piece of bread out of my hands and turns towards the Witcher, "Want some breakfast?"

A subtle hiss releases out of my lips before I shake my head at my friend, "That is for me. Ungrateful, little thing."

She flits her eyes towards me and shrugs, "Maybe if you had finished your letter faster, I would have been less inclined to give your meal away."

I throw up my hands in exasperation before glancing at the Witcher with a look that says, 'see what I put up with?'

Geralt tilts his head toward us and replies in a voice both smooth and rough, "I'm full. Venison."

Then just like that his attention returns to stare straight forward.

Beers arrive in front of each of us, thank the Goddess. Geralt and I simply take one large gulp but Renfri downs the whole thing, finishing it with a sigh and a swipe of her lips. I let out a laugh when I noticed the amazed expression on the Witcher's face.

My Little Rabbit must have seen him as well, because she smiles and says, "My mother, God rest her, would be mortified."

Surprisingly, Geralt's lips tilt up as well, "Our secret, then."

Renfri pushes the plate towards me and throws an arm around my shoulder, "At least I have this one. Basically my mother, but the one that's proud of me."

I slowly nibble on a mysterious piece of meat before I raise an eyebrow, "Who says I'm proud? I'm just as mortified as your real mother. I taught you to down a beer in far less time than that. You're losing your touch."

My friend gasps and shoves me a bit with her shoulder, "Lies! I'd like to see you do better, you old crone."

With a shrug, I ordered another beer. The innkeep quickly returns with it. My free hand picks it up and finishes it in half the time as Renfri.

I place the empty tankard down and pick off another piece of bread. My eyes are filled with humor when I glance at my brunette friend hanging on me, "This old crone still has some lessons to teach, Little Rabbit."

My attention moves over to Geralt, "I taught this one all she knows."

The stoic man smiles once more, "That, I believe."

We do not break eye contact for a silent moment but when we do, Renfri asks, "So, what brings you to Blaviken, White Hair?"

I tack on, "You came for a monster?"

My friend's grip on me tightens a fraction, something she knows better than to do. If I noticed her tell, then Geralt most definitely did.

However, the Witcher says nothing about it, he just replies, "I was traveling by the swamp."

Renfri's response is lightning fast, "That would be your mistake, then. Why wouldn't you travel by main roads?"

I turn to her, ensuring my curved back hides the hand that squeezes her thigh in warning. I chuckle out, "Little Rabbit, you know what he does. What a silly thing to ask."

When I face the man again, his expression gives nothing away. He raises his eyebrows quickly and nods, "It's hard to make a living on main roads."

Renfri chuckles and says, "And you desperately need money for new clothes."

I laugh with her, though it's lighthearted, "And perhaps a bath."

Geralt lets out a more subdued noise of amusement.

Then my friend turns to the innkeep, "Three more beers."

The man takes her empty tankard but returns shortly, slamming a jug on the bartop. I stiffen, spine straightening. Magic stirs, the only indication most likely a spark of blue in my eyes.

Renfri grips my wrist tightly and moves it away from the dagger it was drifting to, placing it on the handle of the jug.

I release a sigh and grab it before standing. My Little Rabbit takes hold of my empty tankard as she ventures over to Geralt.

When we reach him, I pour into my own tankard as Renfri says, "Nessa despises rudeness."

I shrug, but my lips are tight and my eyes are sad as I pour into the Witcher's empty tankard, "More and more, I find monsters wherever I go."

My friend passes me my beer and then takes Geralt's, sipping it before she says, "Wherever we go."

We're interrupted when Marilka saunters up, "How much coin for your kikimora, then?"

I make sure to not let my facial expression change but I know that Renfri's has grown bitter and dark.

The Witcher stands and follows after the girl without so much as a goodbye, passing by the stares of Renfri's men on his way out. Only when they exit do I turn my attention to my dear friend. She looks haunted.

I grab her hand, making her jump and gaze at me. I whisper into her ear, "He's nothing to fear, Little Rabbit. Geralt is a Witcher and they only kill monsters."

She opens her mouth to retort but I cut her off, "And I see no monster here."

For a moment, Renfri remains silent but then she shakes off my grip and hisses, "I am not your Little Rabbit anymore. I am a woman grown."

I try to reach out to her again whilst saying, "I know that. But I care about you and I want to help."

Anger flashes onto my friend's beautiful features, "If you really wanted to help me then you would use your magic to force Stregobor out of his tower."

My brow furrows in confusion, "I was under the impression you wanted to handle him alone."

Renfri huffs and her shoulders rise and fall quickly, "I lied. And I have resented you for not helping me more with my mission."

Sadness shoots through me, "I apologize then, for not knowing."

She chuckles, it's a bitter sound, "How well do you really know me, when you could not even see that?"

Then before I can reply, she storms off.

My heart succumbs to the overwhelming feeling of sadness and disappointment. She's right. How could I not see how she was lying when she refused my aid? Well, no longer.

I march out of the inn with a purpose, my feet guiding me to the tower.

When I arrive, I study the daunting structure. It's built from smoothly hewn blocks of granite and crowned by tooth-like battlements, dominating the broken tiles of homesteads and dipping-roofed thatched cottages.

Marilka stands to the side, holding the reins of a chestnut mare - Geralt's I assume. She glances over at me, "He won't see you, witch."

I ignore her and walk over to the entrance.

On the door, which is adorned with a rosace inlaid with pale wood, hangs a huge knocker in the shape of a flat bulging-eyed fish-head holding a brass ring in its toothed jaws.

Suddenly, the fish-head moves its toothed mandibles and belches a cloud of steam, "Master Irion is with a guest. Leave, my fair lady."

I roll my eyes, "I'm not a fair lady."

Then with a wave of my hand, blue misty magic shoots out from me. It blows into the door, easily breaking through the wards in place.

I walk up and open the door, making my way into the tower.

An illusion greets me. An orchard blooming with white, apples dotted throughout. Through the branches of a grand pink blossomed tree, the blue sky is split by the many-colored arc of a rainbow. Naked women wander about, collecting the fruit I know to be fake.

Stregobor, dressed in black sorcerer robes inlaid with gold buttons and filigree, wooden staff capped with a crystal knob in hand, stands just to my right with Geralt beside him.

I turn towards them and hiss, "There's the cowardly sorcerer I seek."

Then my nose scrunches up as a fair-haired girl, entirely naked, walks past me.

"Slimy old man," I mutter under my breath before I destroy the illusions of the women with another wave of my hand.

To my immense satisfaction, Geralt laughs. With his Witcher ears, he must have heard my comment.

Stregobor makes no indication of his reaction to my antics, he simply greets me, "Ah, Tissaia's rogue mage. I was wondering if you were still traveling with Renfri."

"I am no rogue mage," I grin, "Though I am with Renfri. Came here to retrieve you for her, in fact."

When I approach him he says, "It has been rumored that you are an exceptionally strong Source, yet even you are fooled by that monster and her magic. So much for the famed monster hunter. You can't even see the one right in front of you."

A booming laugh leaves my lips, but it's void of any real humor, "I know monsters. Renfri is no more a monster than Geralt and I."

My pointed glare at Stregobor makes my barely veiled insult even more clear.

He ignores the jab but steps towards me, "Oh, but she is. She was born on the day of the Black Sun. She is the last of Lilit's women. Based on the words of the wise mage Eltibald, she will fill the river valleys with blood."

I roll my eyes, "The Curse of the Black Sun is bullshit. And Eltibald was a mad fool. You remind me of him, Stregobor."

The sorcerer smiles at me, as one would upon a foolish child, "If you'd been alive during Falka's Rebellion, seen what I saw -"

"I am much older than you. I have seen more than you could possibly understand, you ignorant toddler. Do not pretend to be my better, for you are not and never will be," I interrupt with conviction. When his mouth snaps shut, I continue, "And in all of my years, I have never seen proof that the Curse of the Black Sun is real."

He shakes his head, "It would be better to believe that but you are wrong. She plans to kill me. She has threatened to slaughter the whole town to get to me if that's what it takes. Can you honestly deny the lengths Renfri would go to in order to have her revenge?"

My response is immediate, "I have been with her since her first taste of womanhood. And I have taught her never to harm the innocents."

"And if you are wrong?" Stregobor asks, though he does not expect an answer. "She possesses the power to destroy us all."

Geralt speaks up this time, his golden eyes narrowed slightly, "I don't believe anyone has that power."

I nod, "At least, not Renfri."

Then the Witcher turns around and begins to walk out. When Stregobor replies it's towards Geralt but his eyes flit to me once, "With the fate of the Continent at stake, is that a chance you're willing to take? There's your rhyme."

The white haired man slowly turns back towards us, "Evil is evil, Stregobor. Lesser, greater, middling... it's all the same."

His voice is somewhat kind but stern, "I'm not judging you. I haven't only done good in my life either. But now, if I have to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all."

Then without another word, he turns around and leaves.

I lean in towards Stregobor, "I know real evil. The kind that truly has the power to destroy the Continent, the whole world. And you will not find that in Renfri. I came here to bring you to her, but I find that I want you to cower here for a bit longer. Until next time Stregobor, I will make sure I let myself in should I wish to visit again."

The shudder that works its way through his whole body brings me an obscene amount of pleasure. When I exit the tower, the Witcher is gone.

Despite all of my words defending Renfri, I know in my heart that she would in fact do anything for her revenge. Goddess save me.

With a sigh, my eyes flutter closed as I open myself up to my magic. It comes to me like a gentle ocean wave. I see flashes of blood. The stone walls leading to the market. Renfri taking her last breath. Golden eyes.

Well, I suppose it's time to have a chat with Geralt of Rivia.

· · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⊲ ✦ ⊳ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · ·

*Things are speeding up

*What do y'all think? Thoughts? Opinions? Predictions? Requests?

*Toss a vote to your Witcher

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

424K 13.1K 46
Hestia de Aretuza used to be a mage like all the others. Abandoned in Aretuza, tales tell that she was covered in fire, unharmed, untouched, with red...
27.3K 918 24
Cassiopeia dreams of adventure which led her to a normal group hiking trip...or so it was supposed to be. After a freak accident she finds herself l...
2.1K 107 7
It is no secret to the men and women of the continent that Geralt of Rivia is one fine piece of ass. Most days Jaskier has to fight to keep from swoo...
188K 7.4K 27
G!pReader Cursed from a young age you seek the help of a mage who in turn needs something from you. Both of you embark on the long and grueling adven...