Amity and Enmity

By BlairDarnell

(Book Three of the Harm and Harmony Series) Status: Ongoing (updated every Monday) Though it has been several... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
FAQ

Chapter 31

181 14 10
By BlairDarnell

Day: 1219

Days Left: 4261

Lives Saved: 6

"Do you really think so?" whispered Betty. "I mean, I don't want to go over there and-"

"Trust me." Kai smiled. "He likes you back. You should go for it. We may not get any older, but we all deserve a little happiness down here."

"Thank you." Betty glanced away, blushing as she caught sight of Bruno from afar. "I'll try and sneak you some more food later-"

"Oh no, you don't need to do that. I'm fine, honestly."

"No, I will." Betty looked around, then put the gag back into Kai's mouth, an addition implemented an hour into Kai's imprisonment due to his endless ranting.

Kai watched Betty leave, nervously shuffling herself over to Bruno. He could just about hear her ask to speak in private with him. She sneakily gave a thumbs-up to Kai and a quick smile before she was out of sight.

And that was another person's secret he had learned- Kai did not phrase it like such, but if he had any hope of escaping this place, organising a mutiny could work. He had already somewhat befriended most of the group; Betty, Bruno, Eugen, Anass, Errol the Legend, Deniss, Olja, Bean, Tall Rachel- so named because there used to be another Rachel, however short Rachel had long ago been freed, and yet Tall Rachel remained Tall Rachel. Tall Rachel expressed her dislike of this, wanting the comparison between her and short Rachel to be over, having some sort of inferiority complex as Short Rachel was so beloved.

Kai knew all their relationship dynamics, friendship groups, who hated who, and that Kipling and Corine had a no strings attached arrangement. For the most part, the group kept to themselves, being more small circles that lived as part of a larger community; no, calling them a community was wrong, more like a neighbourhood that only spoke to their neighbours when getting food. The one thing that united them all was them following their leader, Annika, and the scarves around their necks, which Kai initially thought was just some sort of symbol that they were part of the gang, but then he realised that it was to hide their brands. No one knew each other's crimes. You did not know how many people some had killed to be here or if their crime was something more malicious. Not knowing someone's brand allowed you not to hold any bias and give everyone a fresh start. It would not work in his group, especially after what had happened with Bryce and the water nymphs.

But it wasn't just the people Kai learned about; if his theory was correct, then he knew the location of the Land of the Lost. So it was no wonder they could not find it, no matter how far Lili searched.

One of his captors went into a nearby tent, one of the largest in the encampment, and then exited with a garden chair after a while. Over the... how long has it been? Maybe a month, it felt like? Over the month of Kai being a prisoner, he had seen people entering that tent and coming out with objects of varying sizes. One time someone came out with a ladder, appearing with it like a comedy sketch. And that was when Kai knew for sure of this sector's Land of the Lost location. It was the tent; the Land of the Lost was underground. This truly was the most advantageous sector possible; not only were there so many resources with the forest and the perpetual rainstorm nearby, but if you controlled the food drop-off, then you automatically controlled the Land of the Lost as it was directly underneath. Also, most masks are dropped at the nearest portal, which for most prisoners in this sector was this place.

Kai looked around. This group has all this power and control, yet all they do in their days is sit around. The fence around the camp was broken, and no one ever repaired it. There was litter everywhere of broken and discarded objects and empty food packets, which no one ever bothered to clean up. The only person who seemed to keep their area tidy was a woman called Rita, who kept themselves busy with something, always trying to kiss Annika or Junior's arse, the two leaders. Annika was the face with the gun and Junior the brain, offering counsel when asked. Junior barely went outside, but their tent was nearby Kai, and he could hear parts of the conversations and what they get up to at night, which he wished he could unhear.

"Who has been talking to him!" yelled Annika as she exited her tent and noticed that the gag in Kai's mouth was not in properly. "Who was it!"

Everyone nearby shook their heads and shirked away, a few looking at Kai with pity. But, of course, they knew who it was; Betty wasn't exactly subtle.

"I said, who was it!" Annika glared around, attempting to weed out the worst liars, but everyone continued to feign ignorance. "What did I tell you all? Don't let him brainwash you-"

"It's alright, I did it myself," said Kai, managing to spit out the gag.

Annika's eyes narrowed. She stepped closer, towering over Kai. "And how was that possible?"

Kai shrugged. "I've been here long enough to work it out. It involves a lot of tongue-"

"You're lying. Someone's been talking to you."

"And why would they do that? I'm the bad guy, remember?" said Kai sweetly. "Why would you think someone would disobey you? I mean, you have a gun, don't you? So there's nothing to worry about. If someone betrays you, you can just shoot them."

Annika remained silent, her hand rolling into a fist, hovering to her hip where the gun was holstered.

"Are you worried that someone will betray you?" Kai continued, seeing Annika's reaction. "Why would they? As you said, we have nothing that any of you would want. Unless you've lost some semblance of control, that kidnapping me has lost your favour-"

"I know what you're trying to do. But, unfortunately, it won't work."

"Oh, so you believe wholeheartedly that your followers will follow every word you say?"

"They do."

Kai nodded. "Okay." He smiled. "Well-"

"No one has come for you," said Annika. "They haven't even noticed that a doppelganger has replaced you."

All of Kai's courage and cockiness vanished in an instant.

"You said that they would notice your absence and easily see through a fake. But I guess you were wrong." Annika crouched down and retrieved a dagger attached to her belt. She held the blade's tip underneath Kai's chin, raising it up. "It has been a month, and no one has noticed. Are you sure they're your friends? Friends would notice."

Kai tried to look away, to hide his watering eyes, but Annika's dagger prevented him.

"Do they care about you? Do they know you? Do they even pay enough attention? Your absence has had no effect at all. You could not exist, and everything would stay the same. How exactly do you help that group? Perhaps they're doing better without you? From the reports, it sounds like you're clumsy, forgetful, constantly getting caught in your own traps, and not trusted to go on scouting missions... I wonder why they chose you to represent them when you tried to trade with us? Was it because you were the least threatening among them? You're the least dangerous to us even when there are children, an elderly woman in a wheelchair, and a mute woman with no hands."

That was where you are wrong, was what Kai wanted to say. But he knew that if he tried to say something now, his voice would crack, and the tears he held back would break through.

Annika rose, bearing a victorious grin. She donned her green-scaled mask.

"Annika! Annika!" Rita rushed over, smiling at being able to deliver a message. "Talon is back with a new report."

*

Talon sat in Annika and Junior's tent, fidgeting with the shiny metal bracelet on their wrist. Junior was lounging on a pile of cushions, occasionally sighing as they both waited for Annika to arrive.

When she finally did, Talon and Junior sat upright to attention as they noticed Annika's sour mood.

"Well? What do you have to report?" asked Annika as she sat down before Talon. "What has he learned about their mental states during blood moons?"

"Er..." Talon stuttered, remembering their promise to Jules to try and vouch for peace between their two groups. "Most of them remain calm and sane, just the old lady and the children- the imps become agitated. There are two people whose masks can calm them down. But we'll know more after the blood moon, so Jules will have to stay longer."

"Not much longer," said Annika.

"How long do you think? A couple more weeks?"

Annika scoffed. "No, I think we'll deal with them soon after the blood moon."

"'Deal with them'?"

Junior tilted his head, appearing to study Talon.

Talon swallowed, remembering to try and be their usual aloof self. They knew that the chances of Annika agreeing to anything that gave up power or resources were little to none, but they had to try for Jules. Talon could not remember the last time they saw Jules so happy.

"Jules says that he still has much to learn from them about building houses and shit," continued Talon. "He thinks he should- we think he should stay longer and that they're not a threat-"

"But they are, Talon," said Annika gently, though Talon could see her clenched fists. "Even just having Kai here is brainwashing everyone. If that group could make buildings and tools and make food last that long, they could have settled anywhere. But no, they decided to stay here. They plan on taking what is ours."

"I don't think so. They seem quite peaceful and content staying away from us." Talon shrunk away from Annika's gaze. "They're not a danger to us-"

"Then tell me, if they are not a danger, what were all those reports where they were making weapons?"

Talon bit down on their bottom lip. "Everyone needs ways of defending themselves."

"And what about Jules overhearing someone talking about the weak points in our defences?"

"That's just Lili. Jules thinks she is kidding; it's hard to tell. And no one else is with her on it-"

"But she has expressed a desire to attack us, yes?"

Talon remained silent, head bowed.

"It seems even you have learned their names." Annika paused. "Jules... the reports on his findings... I do not think we need to learn anything more. We now know how to make rope and houses. There is nothing else needed."

Junior shrugged. "They might have more know-how than Jules has seen."

"Right." Talon nodded, glad to have someone on their side.

"Right," Annika agreed, which surprised Talon.

They smiled; perhaps they managed to persuade Annika to-

"Talon, leave us," ordered Annika.

Talon bit their lip. Perhaps they hadn't succeeded. Annika was planning something. "Are you going to..."

Annika shot them a look. "I said I need to speak to Junior alone."

Junior looked between them, lounging back as he watched the show.

"Jules believes that they're good people," said Talon. "And that they are not a danger to us."

"You're starting to sound like a broken record there, Talon," said Annika, hands on her hips as Talon was still refusing to leave.

"Only because you are not listening!" The words came tumbling out, and Talon's heart froze as he glimpsed the gun holstered at Annika's side.

She sighed, standing up to prompt Talon to stand too. She placed a reassuring hand on their shoulder. "Jules has been with them for too long; you might say he's become brainwashed. Do you believe that none of them has realised that he isn't Kai for a whole month?"

"It does seem a bit unrealistic..." mumbled Talon as they questioned Jules' acting ability. Surely he would have slipped up something to cause suspicion.

"They likely have seen through it and tricked Jules, I am sure. But, of course, they would have worked it out if they were smart enough to build all these things."

Talon frowned, wondering if this was true. They had been surveilling the camp in their raven form to watch over Jules, but they had not heard or seen anything suspicious. There had been talking of people worrying about Kai as he was not acting as lively as before, but that died in the days as Jules learned more about the character he was playing.

"Just let me sort out everything, Talon, okay?" said Annika softly, gently squeezing Talon's shoulder.

After a moment of hesitation, Talon nodded. "Okay..."

"This isn't the first group to try and take us out. They're just using a different method," she paused. "Now, I need to speak to Junior alone."

Once Talon had left the tent, and Annika was sure they were out of earshot, she turned to Junior, sighing.

"What did you have in mind?" asked Junior.

Annika retrieved her notes from Jules' reports. "They need to be taken out."

"No peace and love?" joked Junior.

"You were right before; there would be conflict if I chose to attack or accept their deal. Jules has been there a month, and it seems they've already converted him, Talon too."

Junior snorted. "'Converted'? I think you're overthinking it all. They merely provide better shelter and quality of living than we are."

"But I have the Land of the Lost and the drop-off!"

"True." Junior shrugged. "However, they are utilising the resources they have far better than us. If everyone were to discover this, they would likely side with them. If they can build houses and survive without food packets, imagine what they could achieve when they have what we have."

"That's why I have to do this!" Annika gritted her teeth, her fingers tapping as she searched through her notes. "We cannot afford to keep going like this... especially with that Kai around. You know he's been talking to some of the others! I don't know who, but-"

"I think you mean some others have been talking to him," corrected Junior. "They have been taking out his gag to speak to him."

"Yes, and if he's gained any semblance of sympathy or trust..." Annika let out a long breath to calm herself. "Do you think this is the best option?"

"That depends on what you want to achieve." Junior stretched his arms out. "Do you want everyone to have a better quality of life, which will make them happy? If so, then you should make peace with this other group. However, you do run the risk of losing control and leadership. The other option is to remain in control-"

"I will have both."

Junior tilted his head. "And how will you achieve that."

"Jules has learned a fair bit from them. We'll be able to build better shelters and tools... but they might still be more we can learn..." Annika put down the notes, the plan already formed in her mind. "But we won't need Jules to keep on this charade," Annika continued. "There are other ways to obtain this information... We will take out their group and interrogate the ones with the know-how."

"Which ones?"

"The main architect, the one will all this building knowledge, is..." Annika checked her notes. "A mute woman with amputee arms... and then we have the person who has been growing all of these Abyss plants: an elderly woman in a wheelchair; we'll also want the chef who can turn into a mushroom so that he can tell us the secret to bulking up food..." It all sounded ridiculous when Annika spoke it aloud, wondering if Jules had been making it all up. "And then there's another person of interest..."

"Who's that?" asked Junior, seeing an amused smirk on Annika's lips.

"A princess... who has been hiding all this time. Perhaps she knows that it is a danger to be seen on camera. I wonder if we can get some reward for turning her in to an opposing country?"

"All depends on where she's from, but likely." Junior paused. "And how do you plan on doing all of this? Are you going to rally everyone to attack and kidnap? With Kai being here, they will be less persuaded that this group is evil."

Annika smiled. "No, I have an idea of how to solve that too."

She looked down at the list of members in this group that dared to overthrow her. Soon, they won't be a threat.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42 1 12
Ethnie is a powerful mage who lost the love of her life in the Abyss, a horrifying realm with five layers, each more horrifying than the last. Will...
10.4K 793 28
(#2 Book in the dance series.) Lea Rovera is a 24 y/o aspiring artist that has been inseparable from her best friend Estelle Beaufort at The Pink Ros...
244K 9.8K 200
Disclaimer,Please Read: This is a story that may contain possible triggers for people who are struggling with different issues in their life. There...
21.8K 1K 22
Book 1 of the Hers Trilogy When a witch and a demon fall in love, the forbidden bond sets in motion a series of events that will change all three rea...