A Heart so Dark and Hollow

Por thewritingcelestial

After a betrayal by those she considered family, a girl finds herself in Ssenkrad, a forbidden land where mag... Más

Can only be set free
By the light
And warmth
That love brings

The hollow heart

29 2 1
Por thewritingcelestial

Before.

In Ssenkrad, a kingdom full of magic, lived ancient Fae creatures in a land carefully separated from the world of the meddlesome humans. This kingdom was divided into two; the Night Palace, and the Day Palace. The Night Palace presided over the darker elements of nature, like rot, death, cold, and darkness. On the other hand, the Day Palace ruled over the opposite: birth,  growth, warmth, and light.

But these two factions were not in total harmony, because control of the entire kingdom lay in the hands of the Night Palace and its ruler. Of course, the Day Palace had never been happy with the choice, but they could not revoke the sacred agreement made by their ancestors to never raise swords against each other again.

In the eyes of the rest of the kingdom's inhabitants, they seemed to be peaceful and content, but the truth was far from it. The founding elders of the Day Palace continued to foster resentment in their hearts, and as the centuries flew by, royal members of the Night Palace began to mysteriously disappear, or pass away.

This went on, until the Night Palace's royal family had significantly dwindled. The Day Palace however, managed to not draw any suspicions, and the mysterious deaths were believed to be just the result of plain, awful luck.

More harrowing years passed for the Night Palace, and seeing a clear way to gain possession of the entire kingdom, the Day Palace made one final move it believed would ultimately bring power into its hands. They sent their young, beautiful princess into the Night Palace.

This princess successfully infiltrated the Night palace, fooling them all with her beauty and pretence, and immediately becoming close friends with the last surviving heir to the throne. Her plan was to get close enough to the family, and completely wipe them out, which would in turn, transfer power over to the other court, as there would no longer be any royal blood left in the Night Palace.

But there came a temporary hitch to this plan, because this princess soon fell in love with the warm-hearted prince of the Night Palace, and as time went on, he too, grew to harbour affections for her that surpassed friendship.

Heavy with love, she chose to not harm him. After all, if he married her and made her his queen when the time came, she would gain access to the throne.

And it seemed her dream would come true, because soon after, the prince's father passed away, and the Crown of Ssenkrad fell to him. His mother also was not spared, as she somehow consumed poison after the loss of her husband, and joined him in death. They said it was likely because of the pain of losing her husband, but doubt gnawed the new king’s heart.

This new king, like his late father, suspected that foul play was afoot and in his grief, withdrew from his Day Palace lover.

The princess, who had been dreaming of the day that she would be crowned queen, and would rule the kingdom by her love’s side was met with a big, unpleasant surprise when her lover pulled away from her, and began to probe the deaths of his family members. She had to act quickly, for this king was far brighter than the kings that had come before him.

She doubled her advances, and tried to get him to marry her, employing the use of her voice and body. But he was having none of it, as she had also fallen under his suspicion. She soon began to feel trapped, because even if she cared for him, she could never allow him to find out that all the deaths in his family had been orchestrated by hers. She needed him to make her his queen, and to put aside his investigations.

Yet, she pushed him too far, and the grieving king completely severed all romantic ties with her.

It was at this point that the princess knew that she would have to change her approach. Heartbroken at being pushed aside so quickly by the man she loved, she reckoned that maybe he was not worth keeping alive after all. She should have listened to her parents; someone who broke her heart like it was worthless, should not be allowed to ever experience happiness. She would be queen without him.

Under the guise of an apology she offered the king a cursed fruit. The young king, out of courtesy, accepted her gift, wanting nothing more than for her to leave him in peace, for his affections for her had withered like leaves in the winter.

As soon as he bit into the fruit he had been given, a great pain pierced his despondent heart. At once, but far too late, the king realised that he had fallen victim to a curse, and had little time to break it apart before it would kill him. His suspicions about his former lover had been confirmed.

Mind and body in pain, he knew he could not make the work of his enemies so easy. Swiftly, his lips weaved a spell to counter the curse. Lamentably, he was only halfway successful; barely managing to slow down the curse.

With her plan foiled, the princess revealed that the curse would consume his heart until he was no more.

The king, although enraged and deeply affected by this betrayal, banished the princess to the human world for a century. He could do nothing but wait for the curse to run its course, and join the rest of his deceased family members. He cursed the hand that fate had dealt him, and cursed love, for if he had never harboured affection for the princess, he would have seen through her lies.

The ruling lords of the Day Palace refuted all claims of being associated with the princess, as there was no evidence to suggest that she had been acting under their orders. The sinister members of the Day Palace were absolved of suspicion.

In the shadows, they gloated, tasting the king’s impending doom.

Now, the lord of the Night Palace, and the king of all Fae, awaits his demise as his emotions fade into the abyss created by his curse. It was said that his curse can only be broken by the touch of love, but what good can love do to a heart that is no longer whole?

Another question remains: as he loses more and more of his emotions and steadily descends into a spiral of unfeeling, who will ever get close enough to see beyond the emptiness slowly eating up his heart . . . and love the cold man that he has become?

Now.

Love is a terrible thing, and anyone who thinks otherwise is only setting themselves up for an eternity of heartache.

It was the pursuit of love that led my mother to contract a disease from one of her many lovers, which ultimately led to her death. It was the love my father had for his wife that morphed him into a paranoid man after she was gone. It was the absence of love that drove a wedge between my half-sisters and I, pushing them away from my reach,

Feet apart, with soles pressing into the soft grass beneath, I stand in a field of flowers as bright and fragrant as can be. I adjust my stance again, and raise my arms. A clap, then a series of elegant turns and leaps follow, twisting my body in a dance.

My father would have reprimanded me for dancing so close to the edge of the Dividing Forest, the border between our world and Ssenkrad, land of the Fae. Unfortunately, he died a few months ago when a deadly plague seized our little village.

Dancing is the only rope keeping me from sinking into the depths of grief.

I leap into the air with a soft grunt. A small pain runs up my ankle when I land. I have been dancing for far too long.

Father's death orphaned me, as well as my half-sisters, Namma and Tokya. But those two have a completely different way of grieving, or maybe they are not grieving at all. They still loathe that their father fell for a loose woman—my mother—who also had a child of her own—me—and resent him for it, even after his passing.

They also did not like that while he lived, he treated me like an egg.

Twist, turn, and bend. My feet scream from tiredness. I don’t stop, not even when my eyes start to well up with tears. My vision blurs, and my next leap suffers for it. I land incorrectly, and let out a pained yelp as I fall into the grass, face up to the sky. The tears spring free.

Maybe if I keep dancing, Father will come out of the shrubbery and tell me that the last four months without him have been nothing but a dream.

'Argh!' I pull out a fistful of grass and dirt and throw it into the air. I shield my eyes as dirt comes raining down on me.

The thing about grief is that it clings to a person like a friend. It tricks them into thinking that it’s a companion, when in reality it’s just poison that slowly takes over the person's mind until it traps them forever. I can feel it sinking its talons into my skin, and trying to pull me further into its dark depths.

And maybe I want to sink, because it’s difficult to live on without my best friend. Father was my dearest friend, and the only one I could properly express myself to, since my mother regarded me with as much attention as one would give a piece of furniture.

Father’s death taught me that the more you love something, the more heartbreaking it will be to lose it. Loving something means that it becomes a part of a person, and losing that love is akin to ripping out a chunk of flesh and having that wound rot.

I won't go through such ever again.

With a groan, I sit upright, and gently massage my sore ankle

As I do this, the sound of heavy footfalls and rustling reach my ears, and I perk up just in time to see my half-sisters burst through the bushes at the edge of the forest, from the side leading to the forbidden land of Ssenkrad.

The two gangly, identical girls come to a halt before me, panting heavily. Freckles dust the bridge of their noses, made much more noticeable against the porcelain paleness of their skin. I, on the other hand, am petite and curly haired with brown, terra-cotta skin. Where my half-sisters are all angles and lean feminine muscles, I am soft and a tad plump.

'What is going on?' I ask, wiping at my eyes.

'We were being chased by a fae, and we have to leave soon—' Namma suddenly stops, looking into the bushes that she and Tokya had just come through. 'Oh no no no. He's found us.'

I follow her gaze, a stab of worry making its way up my spine. 'A fae? But as long as you stay within the boundaries of the forest, you're safe . . . wait.' My eyes are wide. 'Don't tell me that you went past the border.'

Tokya shifts closer to I, bright red hair dishevelled and eyes wide with panic. 'That doesn't matter right now. We have to find a way to escape.'

I run a hand down my face, groaning. 'There is no we, and I won’t be dragged into this.' It’s easy to be detached towards them, to close them off without a care, and to ignore the guilt at my words creeping up on me.

Of all times to be reckless. They always attract trouble wherever they go. I’m the youngest, but I usually have to clean up their mess, but their ungrateful disposition, especially on Tokya’s part, has given me a reason to stop caring. I thought that Father’s death would somehow have put a halt to their troublemaking, but somehow, they have managed to fall into trouble again.

We watch in strained silence as birds fly out of their nests, and twigs snap as something bounds through the forest, getting closer and closer with each passing moment.

I clench my fist, drawing up every rule I know about the treaty that exists between humans and the Fae. As long as Namma and Tokya did not try to harm the fae, they will not be harmed. I glance at the two girls who share a lot of features in common. Beads of sweat run down their faces, telling me that they have most likely done something wrong for that fae to have decided to chase them down.

Just as I open my mouth to ask what trouble they have caused, the bushes part, and a giant fae man bursts through, almost landing atop me.

Namma and Tokya's screams are unified in all respects, and they cling to one another. Their bodies tremble as they watch the fae advance.

He looks at three of us with nostrils flared, and points at Namma and Tokya. 'Thieves! I could turn you into toads right this instant.' His face contorts into a content smile all of a sudden, which accentuates the beauty that all fae possess. Like a beast stalking pretty, he moves towards them.

Thieves? I want to be surprised at the term, but at this point, nothing really surprises me. I step forward before thinking, blocking his advance towards my half-sisters.

'Wait, please. I'm sure there is a misunderstanding somewhere,' I turn to my sisters, 'right?'

The two girls continue to stare at him. Tokya clutches something tighter to her chest. A small pouch with exquisite embroidery.

I move to Tokya quickly, and use the element of surprise to pull the pouch out of Tokya's grasp. Inside, are bright, colourful gemstones of different sizes. I pinch the bridge of my nose and release a puff of annoyed air. 'I can't believe this!'

The fae's eyes brighten as he sets his eyes on the pouch.

'Is this yours?' I ask, dangling the pouch in front of him.

He grabs it out of my hand, eyes looking into mine. A corner of his mouth lifts in a sneer, revealing a fang. 'You three will be coming with me.'

'But I've returned your stolen property.”

'A crime is a crime. You three will have to face punishment for attacking a fae.'

'N-no.' I shake my head and step away from the man. I turn my gaze to my half-sisters, and catch them already halfway into the forest. They’d been silently inching away while I was not looking. My jaw slacks a fraction in disbelief.

The fae gives a small laugh at their escape attempt, and snaps his fingers. Tree branches nearby come alive and wrap around them. Their screams cut through the warm afternoon air as they flail about, trying to get free.

With a surprising gentleness, he runs his hand over my face, and I am immediately overcome with a wave of sleepiness. 'No . . .' Is the last thing I say as my eyes come to a close, too heavy to keep open anymore.

***

With a light moan, I come awake. My mouth feels like I licked sand off a spoon. As the events that occured in the forest return to me, I scramble to my feet.

Fae surround me, and they all watch like I am an animal in a circus. Well, most of them. In the garden-like clearing where they all stand, there are chairs, and tables full of food. It looks like a small gathering of some sorts. Not quite far away, some of the fae dance to the soft music playing.

Something draws my eyes, and I look ahead. Seated in a space that seems to belong to only him, is a fae that commands attention even as he’s silent. His cold gaze sweeps over the spectacle.

Something slams into my back, pulling my thoughts away from the man. I stumble forward in his direction. The fae crowd parts, as though I’m carrying a disease. On one side of me are Namma and Tokya, and although I’m relieved to see them, this trouble is still their fault.

As though sensing my annoyed gaze, they both turn to look at me. Namma's face has remorse written all over it, but Tokya's is mostly without expression. Tokya leans in to Namma and whispers something in her ears. Namma's eyes widen, and her throat bobs as she swallows. She catches my look again, but forces her eyes away like there is something that I will discover just by looking at her.

A throat clears. 'Attention, everyone.' It is the fae that captured us. He steps ahead of us, eyes raised to the man at the heart of it all. 'Your Majesty, I present to you, three human thieves, who tried to rob me of my possessions.'

I’m not surprised that the seated man is a king, because he already gives off the aura of one so important.

The king says nothing, and simply stares at me with ruby red feline eyes. A chill runs down my spine, mixed with another emotion other than fear.

I want to say that I have nothing to do with my half-sisters' failed thievery attempt, but I keep silent. I doubt there is anything I can do to get myself out of this situation. I lick my lower lip, tasting salt on the skin beneath.

'As said in the agreement between the Fae and the humans, we possess the right to dole out any punishment we see fit upon humans who dare to attack us while in our territory.' As the fae talks, fae shift closer around us, keeping their distance, but still trying to get a good look at us.

Some of these fae wear dark clothes, while others wear brightly coloured ones. The ones with the darker attires have dark markings on their ivory skin, while those in the bright attires have golden markings. Another thing to notice is that these two sets of people seem to have an invisible line separating them, because those in black are on one side of the king, and the others are on his other. But they all seem to have a common focus.

One of the brightly dressed fae breaks away from the crowd to move a little bit closer. His eyes glint with a malicious intent. 'It's been quite a while since I've seen a human getting executed. They should bleed for their crimes against you, Satikus.'

There are small, surprised gasps, but some people seem to find this suggestion pleasant. Even Satikus looks taken aback by the harsh suggestion. He glances at my sisters and I, before looking back at the still quiet king.

'Do with them as you see fit,' he tells the king.

The king shifts, and his long, snow white locks dance around his broad shoulders. His eyes betray little emotion apart from slight irritation. However, before he can speak, Tokya surges forward, eliciting some surprised gasps again.

Before Satikus can reach her, she falls into a prostrating pose. 'Please hear me out. My sister and I made a terrible mistake, one that we thoroughly regret.'

Namma kneels beside me, her eyes downcast. What can Tokya be up to now?

My question is answered soon enough, when Tokya continues speaking. 'In exchange for the life of my twin sister and I, I offer you a trade.'

I swallow. Fae can’t turn down a trade once it has been offered.

Satikus’ expression betrays his surprise. 'What could you have to offer that would be sufficient enough to save you?' he asks.

Tokya looks back at me with eyes as clear as the day itself. 'I offer you my half-sister.'

My heart sinks into my belly. 'What?!' I must be hearing things wrong.
But Tokya continues, voice strong and clear. 'Take her, and spare our lives.'

I dart forward, a steady ember of anger building up in my chest. I grab her arm and pull her to her feet. 'You have gone mad. What have I ever done to you?'

She pushes me away with unexpected strength, and I stumble back. The poison in her gaze is paralysing.

Then another voice enters the fray, one that completely breaks me.

'We would not have ventured into the Dividing Forest if not for you, I. You always went there, despite Father's warnings. You told us that the Fae have all the riches we could ever hope to have, that stealing from them just once would forever change our lives. Since we have been caught, you should take responsibility for misleading us.'

‘That isn’t true. You’re making no sense at all.’ I say, Namma refuses to look me in the eyes. I look on to the fae crowd. 'I didn’t do anything.’ Tokya’s face is a blank slate, and the rage building up in me spills over. Caring for people has only ever brought me hurt, and this is the last straw.

Before another word passes between us, a deep voice cuts through the air. 'Silence. This has dragged on for far too long,' the king says. The whole gathering falls very, very silent as he speaks. His eyes fall on Tokya and Namma, gaze intense.

'You two may leave, but if you are ever found here again, you will be executed on sight. This is your punishment for failing to take responsibility for your actions.' Then, he looks at me. 'You, on the other hand, will remain here.'

As he speaks, something cool wraps around my index finger. An obsidian ring. I look to the king, hoping for an explanation.

The king, in a manner that can only be called majestic, rises to his feet. 'You are now my property.' His words vibrate through my body.

My sisters are whisked away, and I catch a glimpse of Namma's mouthed ‘I'm sorry,’ before she is dragged away with an expressionless Tokya.

As though suddenly made boneless, I fall to my knees, taking deep breaths to still my racing, bruised heart. I wish I did not have the heart to feel anything, because no matter how hard I try to push the emotions away, they refuse to leave.

***

Outside Ssenkrad's borders, a woman in a plain, yellow dress stands at the invisible barrier separating the human and Fae world. The edge of the forest separating her from home.

For 50 good years, she was unable to get past it, her punishment for nearly killing the King of Ssenkrad. She still has 50 more years to go, but there had been a surge in her magical energy that could have only meant that her exile has come to an end.

She puts her hand through the barrier, smiling to herself when it passes through without any resistance, and walks through it. As soon as she is on the other side of the barrier, she sucks in a deep breath. Her golden hair glows, and golden markings appear on her skin. Her dress shifts, becoming more elegant, and fit for royalty. A hood materialises on the dress as a finishing touch, and she draws it over her head.

When she is done, the once exiled Princess of the Day palace makes her way back into Ssenkrad, steps determined and dangerous.

‘How wonderful it is to be back home,’ she says to herself.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

8.5K 1.2K 21
To break his family's curse, Faolan mac Domnall seeks to marry the beautiful Saoirse, princess of Mide. Spirited and outspoken, the wild Saoirse want...
1.6M 52.1K 54
❝He has a heart of stone. I have a heart of glass. I just have to pray mine won't shatter...❞ ******** The werewolf world is brutal. From the moment...
28.6K 1K 4
"Know one thing very clearly, babe. I will never be bound to you for eternity at the cost of anything. Even my life." She was all alone in the world...
96 3 18
What if all the myths are real? Monsters, witches, faeries. Well NEWSFLASH! They are. And I've been thrown into the deep end. Before I was a normal g...