In Another Life - Zarry

By curlsndquiff

"𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚒𝚌𝚎𝚜 𝚠𝚎 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚝𝚑 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚠𝚎 𝚝𝚊𝚔𝚎, 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝙸 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 ... More

Disclaimer
Books and the Two of Us
Third Weekend
KISS ME, CLOSE YOUR EYES

Through dusk, dawn, and forever

161 12 0
By curlsndquiff

Quiet.

The house was too unusually quiet for a Saturday morning in the Malik household.

To be honest Zayn is pretty bummed about not having his family welcome him home after an eight-week trip but it was his idea to surprise them anyway. What he didn't expect is this grave silence enveloping him as soon as he stepped in.

He took a shower and was dumping his clothes for laundry when the front door opened after an hour.

"Call Baba, call BABA!!", his five-year-old's voice boomed through the house.

"Bahbah!!", his almost two-year-old babbled excitedly, making him chuckle as he walked down the hallway.

"Calm down my loves", Harry chuckled. "Let's get you both inside, come on."

They were already in the living room when Zayn walked past the kitchen to hide near the doorway.

"It's 10 30 babes", Harry said, in a pleading voice. "So that means it's 2 am in LA, baba has to sleep, no?"

"Yeah", Cindy, his five-year-old, sighed dramatically.

"Bahbah", Alec, his almost two-year-old, whimpered like he was in physical pain. "Want, baba", he started to wail straight away.

It was harder for Alec than for Cindy, to be without Zayn. Only last week Harry admitted that it's hard for him to put him back to sleep when he wakes up at 2 in the morning asking for Zayn.

One thing Zayn doesn't like about Harry is that he never cares for himself. In all these years of marriage and all those years of dating he never cared about himself, it's always about Zayn, his dreams and his happiness with Harry.

So when Zayn told him about the offer he got for this literature program he always wanted to attend, Harry was over the moon for Zayn's achievement. It's quite an achievement though because Zayn always wanted to attend this program even as a student. But for some reason, he couldn't make it then but he did it now, as a Professor.

Harry threatened to pack him in a jute sack and fly him to LA himself if Zayn refused to go for his and the kids' sake. He said his kids didn't want him to lose his dreams because of them and Zayn knows he's right. So like always, he did whatever his heart said, whatever his Harry said.

"Please don't cry baby", Harry picked up Alec and placed him on his hip.

"Baba is sleeping muffin", Cindy mumbled, sadly.

"Please, stop crying love", Harry pleaded, sounding like he will cry any moment.

"Yeah, babe", Zayn walked in. "Stop crying. Baba's here."

"BABA!!!", Cindy shrieked, jumping off the couch and running into his arms.

"My baby peanut", he hugged her close to his heart and pressed kisses all over her face making her giggle which only made Alec's wail loud.

"Bahbah", he cried out loud, making Harry tilt his head away to save his ears.

"Come here my love", he took him in his arms and smiled when he stopped crying almost immediately.

"Baby?" he called Harry after his two cubs comfortably settled in his arms.

"Yeah?" Harry looked like he just remembered Zayn is here too.

"You alright love?" he asked him, taking a step closer to him.

"Yeah", Harry smiled and then grinned. "Aren't you supposed to be back after a week?"

"Surprise!!" he yelled, making Cindy glare at him who was peacefully cuddling against his chest.

"I love you", Harry said like he was saying it to him for the first time.

"I love you too, my love", his voice going way too soft, a kind of voice he has only saved for Harry. He settled on the couch with his kids on both sides while Harry stood there smiling at them.

"You know what happened today?" Cindy asked excitedly.

"What happened babe?" he chuckled at her, who was trying to wriggle out of his arms.

"I met a boy", she grinned when she successfully rolled out of his grip.

"You what?" he frowned. "Harry, what's this?"

"Well, ask your daughter Malik", he smirked and left for the kitchen.

"Who was it babe?" he asked Cindy, his frown deepening.

"Mikey."

"Mikey?" he frowned even more.

"His name is Michael, everybody calls him Mike and I call him Mikey", she shrugged.

"Why do you call him Mikey? Where did you meet him? How do you know him?"

"I call him Mikey because he's my friend. I met him at school this week, he's new but I didn't talk to him but we met him and his mum today in the mall and we talked to him and he's cool. So we're friends now."

"Why don't you have any girl-friends?" he groaned, slumping against the couch.

"Girls are mean baba", she said as a matter of fact and jumped off the couch. "You know that better than me", and with that, she walked out of the living room, probably to her room.

"She's just five Zayn", Harry entered just as she walked out. "They make friends all the time."

"You sure she's just five?" He asked with wide eyes. "Because to me, she sounded like fucking fifteen."

"She gets that from you", Harry laughed.

"Whatever", Zayn mumbled as he got up for the couch with a sleeping Alec in his arms. "Boys can be bad."

"Yeah, but stop generalizing love", Harry smiled, pressing a kiss to his temple. "Would you like that if anyone ever said that about our Alec?"

"What? no", he pouted, rubbing Alec's back, gently.

"Yeah, same", Harry smiled fondly. "Besides, Mike is a good kid, his mum is cool too. He doesn't talk much and Cindy just talks too much. Perfect match."

"For what?" Zayn frowned.

"For friendship babe", Harry laughed.

"You do know that's how we clicked right?" he frowned more.

"So what if they're friends now and start dating at fifteen and get married at 25? I will always support them", Harry shrugged. Half joking and half serious.

"I want to meet that kid", Zayn informed grumpily before walking off to Alec's room.

"Slow down Shakespeare", Harry's laugh echoed throughout the house making Zayn smile to himself.

After settling Alec on his bed and making him comfortable with pillows he checked up on Cindy who was busy with her princess tea party. He thanked every God that she didn't call him to be one of her courtiers.

Harry was looking out of the window near the sink when Zayn walked into the kitchen. It was unusual of him to be staring off at something and slipping off of reality.

"Babe?" he called, making Harry snap out of his trance state.

"Sorry", Harry mumbled, twisting the faucet knob off. "Didn't see you there. Where's Cindy?"

"Tea party", Zayn answered, taking a step closer to Harry. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah", Harry tried to smile which in turn looked like a grimace.

"No", Zayn shook his head, putting a hand on Harry's waist. "Don't lie to me, love. You know I can read you like a book. What's bothering you, babe?"

"It's nothing", Harry sighed. "It's just stupid."

"Nothing that concerns you is stupid to me babe", Zayn rested both of his hands on either side of Harry's waist making him rest his hands on his chest in return.

"I missed you", he confessed, helplessly. His eyes clouded with tears and his lips trembled like everything inside of him hurt. "I know I was the one who technically compelled you to attend this program but I missed you. I'm sorry if that sounds selfish."

"Harry", Zayn frowned as Harry cried against the crook of his neck. He has never seen his Harry being this emotional for something this trivial. Or maybe it's not trivial to Harry. Or maybe it's not the real reason.

"Baby, look at me", he ordered softly making the other man look at him from where he was sniffling. "Nothing about your feelings is stupid to me. Nothing about how much you miss me when I'm gone is stupid because let me tell you, I missed you just as much", he whispered the last part.

"I missed waking up to your kisses. I missed falling asleep with you in my arms. I missed your kisses in between your cooking. I missed your cooking. I missed watching you play with our babies. I missed your smile, your eyes, your smell and every single thing about you. There isn't a night I spent without crying myself to sleep for the past two months."

"What?" Harry whispered. His voice is hoarse from the soundless crying.

"Yeah", Zayn nodded, resting his forehead against his. "Believe me as an English professor I don't know words to describe my love for you, my love. And you saying that you missed me doesn't gonna change the fact you're the most supportive person of my dreams and career. You're not selfish. You're just in love. With me", he added, smugly.

"I hate you", Harry chuckled wetly. "I missed you. So fucking much."

And with that, Zayn kissed him. They kissed until they both were drowning in love and came up for a little bit of care and then dived right in headfirst.

They had lunch around 1 pm and Zayn helped Harry with it like he always did. Zayn doesn't know if it's a blessing or a curse that he can read Harry like a fucking open book. There's something that's still bothering him and Zayn cursed himself for not noticing it on their facetime.

The evening was great, like their usual Saturday evenings. Just the four of them lazing around and watching any superhero movie. And so the dinner rolled in with them ordering some Chinese and Japanese take-outs and Harry making something light for Alec.

After putting their kids to sleep and wishing them goodnight they both went to their room and got ready for bed. Harry looked tired and sleepy but he said he doesn't want to sleep yet when Zayn tried singing the only lullaby he's ever known to him.

"Okay then", Zayn sighed, sitting up with his back against the headboard. He patted his lap and said, "Come sit on your throne, my king."

Harry laughed from where he was resting his head against his pillow and lifted himself to settle on Zayn's lap. Zayn's hands wrapped around Harry's waist as Harry wrapped his hands around Zayn's neck and rested his forehead against his.

Their favourite position to have deep and hearty conversations. From their first I love you's to the time Zayn asked Harry to marry him to the time Harry announced that they're gonna be parents soon and to the time they decided divorce is not the solution to every heart-to-heart conversation, happens in the middle of the night as they both hold each other close to their heart.

"I know what you're gonna say", Harry says as they both just sat there looking into each other's eyes for minutes.

"You do?" Zayn asked, kneading the flesh of Harry's love handles.

"Yeah", Harry nodded. "You think only you can read me like a book, professor?"

"I know you know me better than anyone else in the world, my king."

"That's true", Harry grinned, pressing a long kiss on his husband before settling back to explain himself. "You know, what I said in the morning is true. I truly missed you. So much."

"I know love", Zayn smiled softly.

"But the thing is", he started, biting his lower lip nervously. "I did something I'm not proud of."

"What is it, love?" Zayn frowned in concern.

"Alec slept too much one day, a couple of weeks after you left. All he did that day was cry asking for baba and sleep and then wake up and cry and sleep."

"Why didn't you tell me that before?" he frowned at Harry who rolled his eyes.

"So that you can cry with him? Never", Harry laughed at Zayn who was pouting.

"So while he was sleeping in the afternoon, I and Cindy decided to play board games. Since he's asleep he won't swallow any dice or something. But we found something, a box full of polaroids", Harry said, making Zayn freeze.

"Cindy was not interested in those photos so she went searching for the games and we did play it for some time and that night while I was going through those polaroids, I found something", Harry added, more carefully.

"That I was married once. Before we happened", Zayn completed.

"Yeah", Harry confirmed, his voice sounding disappointed.

"It's not what you think babe—" Zayn started but Harry cut him off.

"I had a great plan of making a big scene out of this whole 'married before I met you babe' thing", Harry said, laughing at himself a little. "Like asking you 'why did you marry me?' and then you'll answer me and then I will ask 'Is that why you married Noelle too?'" He is full-on laughing now, a bit hysterical which scared Zayn a little.

"Baby—"

"But you know what Zayn? I love you and I know you love me too. You prove that to me with every single one of your touches, every time you look at me like I'm your Sun. So what if you fell in love before I came into your life? That doesn't mean you loved her more than me.

"Because I have known you since we were 22 and by the dates from the polaroids it seems you married her when you were 19? And you were single when we met. So that means that marriage didn't even last a year or so. You didn't even put effort into it. Forgive me if that sounds petty.

"But then you married me. We lived a happy life until we lost our first child. And because I am an idiot, I almost ruined our marriage but still here we are, and that's because it's you who always puts a bit more effort into our relationship than me and that proves to me how much you want me, how much you want us, how much you love me. Because even after years here we are, holding on to each other with so much love."

And with that, Zayn cried. He sobbed onto Harry's chest while Harry kept whispering about how much he loved him and how finding out about his first marriage is gonna change nothing in their relationship.

"I'm so sorry Harry", Zayn whispered. "I didn't mean to keep that away from you but yeah, I didn't make any effort to tell you that either."

"Yeah", Harry whispered back, leaning down to kiss the corner of his mouth.

"And I'm sorry for that", Zayn added, more sincerely. "It's not because it was my dark past or something serious like that. I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to know how much of a reckless, immature asshole I was before I met you."

"What?" Harry chuckled like he didn't believe him. "You? Reckless and immature?"

"See", Zayn sighed. "This is what I am talking about. You know that much, that I was a playboy before I met you. But do you know I was everything a person never should be?"

"What are you talking about?" Harry whispered, caressing his cheeks and calming Zayn's nerves.

"I did drugs, all kinds of illegal shit", he admitted, glancing at Harry who was frowning at him. "Which I'm not proud of. I dated many girls and boys and broke many hearts. A drug addict, liquor addict, fuck, I was a sex addict too."

"That I know", Harry nodded, grinning.

"Shut up you lil' shit", Zayn laughed. "I had too many friends—"

"Too many?" Harry exclaimed.

"I know", Zayn sighed. "I know you think Louis is the only friend I had in my Uni days but that's not it. We were a squad of around twenty people."

"Jesus."

"Yeah. They were all toxic to me though. Just like I was to them. Louis tried everything to get me out of that shithole but no. I was a dickhead and only pushed him away. Noelle was another girl in that squad, we had a kind of fuck buddy thing going on.

"On the second Christmas of our university days, we planned to go to Vegas for a change. So we ditched all our parents' invitations for coming home for Christmas and flew to Vegas, without Louis. So there was no one to stop my bullshit and one day I woke up, the same day we were flying back, and saw I was married to Noelle.

"We both freaked out because we didn't remember anything that lead us to our marriage. And then Daniel, another friend of mine, had some videos from the other night in the club and that's where we realised that we were all too fucking wasted to play truth or dare and I and Noelle got married because it was another stupid dare", Zayn sighed, sadly. He glared at Harry when he started laughing.

"I'm so sorry, babe", Harry laughed. "Didn't know you were into those games."

"I was", Zayn sighed again and smiled at Harry. "And then we flew back to Manchester and I told Louis what happened and he slapped me and called me an idiot and said that I deserved it and I accepted that. Noelle's parents know some Lawyers from the US and because it was a drunken mistake, it was easy for us to get a divorce.

"And the next two years, I never touched anyone", he laughed with Harry. "It's just me, my studies and some high time with Louis and nothing else. I stopped doing drugs, stopped drinking and taking birds and blokes home, stopped everything that made me—me once.

"Completed my undergrad, moved to London, did my postgrad while working at some shitty publishing firm. After two years, Louis dragged me to a club because we really needed some alcohol in our system after that stupid job.

"And that's where I met you, under those purple-golden lights, all sweaty and sexy. You smiled at me when our hands brushed while we were at the bar. And then we talked about everything and nothing and at the end of the night, we didn't even know each other's names. I didn't get your number, I didn't take you home with me because I don't want you to be my another drunken mistake. I wanted to do this right with you. For you.

"I prayed to god, every single day before I met you again to give me a sign that this baby giraffe of dimples is mine and I expected to see you somewhere, somewhere where I am not wasted and high on adrenaline—"

"At the end of the day, it's all about Oxytocin", Harry grinned, like he achieved something big.

"So you're saying you're with me only because of Oxytocin?" Zayn raised a brow.

"No", Harry whined, putting his hand on Zayn's face and looking into his eyes through the gap between his fingers. "There's something more than just these hormones, something I can't point at."

"Let's keep it that way", Zayn smiled. "Sometimes oblivion is bliss."

"Oh shut up you", he laughed.

"Anyways", Zayn smiled. "Now shut up you baby giraffe or I will kick you out of the bed."

"Okay", Harry smiled, mimicking zipping his lips.

"So yeah, I wanted to meet you somewhere where I am in my right mind and I wanted to choose you then. Something like God answered my prayers I met you again at that year's Christmas party I refused to come. My parents practically dragged me there and then I saw you, glowing like a fucking Christmas star.

"I tried to avoid you because I was scared that maybe after all these months you may have gotten yourself a boyfriend or girlfriend. Someone who's not me. Someone better than me. And then you saw me and without a second thought you practically ran to me and kissed me, under the fucking mistletoe and it all seemed like a fucking fairytale. My very own fairytale.

"I was not drunk and you were not drunk and I was glad we both chose each other even when we are sober. And you said you missed me and about how you come to the club every week to see me but I was not there and it took my everything to not cry right then and there in front of you, our parents and all those unknown people because of my unknown feeling. I've been with too many people babe but I've never felt anything closer to what I've felt with you for anybody else.

"And then we started dating, we took it slow but still I said I love you in just three months of our relationship. If you've let me I would've said that when you smiled at me at the bar—"

"I didn't stop you."

"Even after countless fights and bickering we still survived and we will always survive. Two years of dating and eight years of marriage later here we are, holding onto each other with so much love."

"We're that couple huh?" Harry chuckled. "But yeah, one thing", he added, more seriously. "Past two months were troublesome. I didn't want to ask you about your ex through facetime at the same time I can't just act like everything is alright when it's killing me. At one point I was annoyed by that stupid thing—"

"Are you calling my marriage stupid?"

"I didn't say that"', Harry raised his hands in surrender. "You did."

"That is stupid yeah", Zayn whispered, pulling Harry closer and resting his forehead against his. "There's something warm about watching you fussing over my stupid marriage. Your jealousy is cute."

"I'm not jealous", Harry pouted.

"Yes you are", Zayn smiled. "And that's adorable."

"Maybe a little", Harry admitted. "I just wanted to be your first in something."

"What?"

"Like you're my first in everything. My first kiss, first love. First-person I slept with, the only person I slept with, actually. The first and only person I married and had kids with", Harry mumbled, looking everywhere but Zayn.

"Wanna hear a secret?" Zayn whispered, gaining Harry's attention. "There's only one person in the whole fucking world I love the most and he's my first love too. How cute is that? There's only one person in the world I got married to because I wanted to. I wanted to spend my whole fucking life with him.

"I vowed to die with him in front of our whole family and friends and God and I still stand by it. Sure our marriage wasn't easy, we had our ups and downs but it's still surviving because we both put equal efforts into it. We lost our first baby boy and that wasn't easy. It almost ruined us.

"One night when I came home he didn't even let me have dinner—after our baby's exit from our life we haven't even had a meal together—he came to me and demanded a divorce. I tried to talk to him but he didn't even let me, saying again that it was all his fault. But it was not. I know that and I know he deep down knows that too but he doesn't want to believe it for whatever reason.

"Next day when I came home I was so sure he's gonna give me those divorce papers he was talking about and I was about to lose my mind because I don't know what's life without him, but he hugged me. I didn't even take my shoes off when he hugged me tightly. I can't even breathe but that's less of my concern when my man is hugging me like that after what, three months?

"He said he didn't want a divorce. He said he didn't want to be without me and that he was stupid to even think of living without me. We kissed, we cuddled on the couch crying, we took a shower together, and we cooked and had dinner together after months. And we fell asleep in each other's arms, after months, which felt like years.

"Next morning when I woke up, it took a couple of minutes for me to register the fact that last night was not a dream and my husband, the love of my life, is really in arms now. And when I looked at him I knew I did it right this time and I will forever do it right if it meant I can have you in my arms like that morning, like now."

"Shut the fuck up", Harry sniffled and cleaned his runny nose with Zayn's hoodie sleeve who scrunched his face in a mixture of disgust and fondness. "I'm trying to give a romantic speech here, stop taking over."

"Yeah, okay. Go on", Zayn smiled, wiping Harry's face with some kleenex.

"I don't know I forgot", Harry whined, pitifully. "What I was about to say was that that stupid marriage annoyed me, yes. But that didn't make me doubt your love for me. Just a bit jealous and a little bit disappointed that you didn't tell me for whatever reason."

"I didn't tell you because I didn't want my ugly past to ruin our present and the future we will have together. At first, I thought if I ever tell you the truth you will take me as a player, which I was, but then some time into our relationship I was scared that it would ruin this beautiful thing we have together.

"But I had a plan to tell this after our wedding but I didn't and I have no reason to justify why I did what I did. Because it is just a selfish thought", Zayn sighed, like it's physically troubling to say this much.

"A selfish thought?" Harry frowned.

"Yeah", Zayn shifted a little. "I don't know, I love what we have and I loved what we had, the honeymoon phase after our wedding. I didn't want to ruin it and I was genuinely scared it would ruin our relationship somehow and that's it. I know it's not a convincing reason but I'm telling the truth", Zayn admitted, looking at Harry honestly.

"It's convincing", Harry smiled, caressing Zayn's face. "It's convincing enough to assure me that we are as scared as each other to lose each other. And that's enough."

"I love you so fucking much you know?" Zayn said in a husky voice.

"Yeah, I got that. Just so you know, I love you too", he grinned back and Zayn can't hold back anymore.

And the night was spent well for all the nights that were lost in the past two months. Pressing all the love onto Harry's skin while moving together in a rhythm only they both know, they found paradise. And when the dawn blooms they fell asleep, completely sweaty and sated only to be woken up by their kids a few hours later.

"It's seven in the morning", Zayn groaned, pulling Harry closer.

"Yes, Baba! We are doing Yoga!" Cindy yelled in an awfully cheery voice.

"Bahbah", a little voice called, waking up Zayn completely.

"I'm up, I'm up", Zayn got up, eyes still closed.

"Did you brush your teeth?" Harry asked, sitting up.

"Yes!!" Cindy cheered. "C'mon daddy, we are going shopping."

"You went shopping yesterday", Zayn grumbled, picking up Alec who was trying to climb the bed probably for the past ten minutes.

"Yeah and we're going again", Cindy shrugged, climbing down the bed and running to her room.

"I don't wanna be that dad but what is she shopping all the time?" Zayn asked cuddling with Alec.

"I don't even know", Harry laughed, stretching like a cat.

"Girls", Zayn scoffed.

"Aren't you going to do yoga babe?" Harry asked Alec, who was busy playing with his Baba's hair.

"No"', he answered and went back to inspecting a single strand.

"Why not?" Harry frowned, rubbing his back. "Yoga is good."

"Sleep is good", he answered truthfully, making Zayn laugh out loud.

"That's my boy", he kissed the top of his head.

"Yeah your boy", Harry rolled his eyes fondly.

"Are you jealous?" Zayn grinned. "Let me have that, we already have a little princess with your brown curly hair, oh so gorgeous gorgeous green eyes, chubby cheeks and pink lips. Oh, and that pale skin of yours. I take pride in our boy looking like a mini copy of me."

"Yeah, we have a mini you and mini-me but I want a mini us", Harry pouted.

"I can arrange for that", Zayn grinned, patting a rhythm on Alec's back.

"You want that too? Or are you just saying that for me?" Harry raised a curious brow.

"What?" Zayn frowned. "I think I promised a dozen of them to you."

"Yeah you did", Harry grinned. "But you know Alec's still small."

"Yes he is and he would really love another small thing to play with him", Zayn grinned back.

"Of course, he will", Harry laughed. "You have a special thing for Alec don't you?"

Zayn sat up abruptly, startling Alec from his peaceful nap. Zayn cursed, "Sorry babe, you go to sleep", he said, patting the same rhythm.

"What? I didn't mean it in a wrong way Z—"

"Is it showing like that? I swear I'm not biased. I'm a bad dad aren't I?"

"Zayn stop", Harry snapped and sighed. "No babe, you're not a bad dad, you're the amazing dad one could ever ask for and there's nothing wrong with being protective of your child. For all I know, I only see you being a little more protective over Alec than Cindy, is all. And that's not bad, I swear."

"Sorry", Zayn sighed heavily. "Cindy is just like you, you know? A social butterfly. I feel like Alec is like me, socially awkward. That was the reason I became who I was in my teenage days. My parents were always busy, and my sisters are always together because they are girls, I know they all love me but still, there was a gap which I can only fill by that rowdy phase, acting like someone I was not to get me out of that socially awkward phase only to get myself anxiety and shit. I don't want that to happen to him."

"That won't happen", Harry smiled, getting off the bed. "I know you would never let that happen to any of our babies. I admire that about you."

Zayn grinned at Harry who walked to the bathroom.

"See that? I'm a good dad", he smiled at Alec whose eyes were drooping.

"Good dad", Alec mumbled as Zayn settled back on the bed.

"Yeah? You think I'm a good dad?"

"Gate dad."

"Oh really?" Zayn chuckled, kissing on top of his baby's head. "Your dad forgot to give me my good morning kiss."

Alec lifted his head and pressed a long smooch on Zayn's cheek before settling back on his chest. Zayn chuckled and dozed off with his son.

When he woke up again, Alec was already up and was drawing something on a piece of paper. His tongue poked out in concentration as his eyelashes fluttered across his cheeks.

"What are you drawing?" his voice deep and hoarse scared Alec. "Sorry babe didn't mean to scare you."

"Bahbah", he grinned showing his drawing on the tissue. It's a cartoon version of Zayn in a superhero costume.

"That's baba?" Zayn asked, eyes tearing up a little. That's too much crying for 24 hours!

"Yes", Alec nodded.

"And I'm a superman?"

"My superman", Alec yelled and laughed, making Zayn cry and laugh at the same time.

"I love you baby", he kissed the top of his head and got out of bed. "You're so ducking talented, you know?"

"Duck", Alec giggled in his arms.

"Yeah duck", Zayn laughed. "Can we take a rubber duck bath?"

After spending a whole hour in a rubber duck turned bubble bath with his son, Zayn finally walked downstairs with Alec. It's 11 am, time to make lunch and just he was thinking about it he saw a post on their refrigerator by his five-year-old asking for her 'baba's special chicken biryani for lunch'.

Almost a couple of hours into his cooking Harry and Cindy walked in after their long tiring shopping.

"Baba!!!!!" Cindy's voice boomed as soon as he switched off the stove.

"Coming love", Zayn smiled, taking off his apron.

"You know what we bought today?" She exclaimed as she kissed her brother's cheeks before plopping down beside him on the floor.

"What babes?" Zayn chuckled at her enthusiasm. For a 5-year-old after almost five hours, she's damn enthusiastic.

"Many many toys for me and Alec", she smiled as she emptied the shopping bag.

"That's cool", Zayn smiled. "Is that Doraemon?"

"Yes!! For me. Since, Alec only like power rangers and all", she shrugged, partitioning her toys from Alec's who was patiently waiting for his sister to give him his set of toys.

"Where's dad?" Zayn asked, bending to take a look at Alec's new collection of toys from his sister.

"Getting the other bags."

"You didn't help him?"

"I got the toy bag for him. Look it's the power rangers COLORING SET!!"

Zayn chuckled. "Alright, calm down, you firecracker."

Harry scoffed from the doorway. "Then think about my sufferings for the past four hours."

"Jesus babe", Zayn laughed, walking up to him to get the bags. "You could've called me."

"Yeah", Harry rolled his eyes. "Then your firecracker would've burned the house down."

"Come on", Zayn said, placing the rest of the bags on the coffee table and turning to Harry. "Sit down, babe. You look too tired."

"Four-hour shopping does that to you, I guess", Harry chuckled, stretching like a cat.

"You like that baby?" Zayn asked Alec who looked at the new different shades of colours in awe.

"Yes", Alec smiled, showing him the green and yellow crayons tightly gripped in his hands.

"That's good", Zayn smiled. "What colour is it love?"

"Yeyyow", he said lifting his right hand and then left. "Geen."

"That's great Muffin", Zayn smiled, picking him up from the floor. "You're so smart, aren't you?"

"I'm smart too", Cindy pouted from where she was sitting on Harry's lap.

"There can be two smart people in a room too and three of my favourite people are the smartest I've ever met."

"Who is another?"

"His first baby", Harry smiled hugging her to his chest and resting his chin on her head.

"Yeah, all my three babies", Zayn grinned and felt his heart swell when Cindy kissed Alec's cheek when he got the purple colour right.

Two hours after they were all well fed and sated, Zayn put both his babies to nap while Harry took a shower. When he entered the room Harry was already on the bed going through his phone and just then Zayn noticed a shopping bag in front of him.

"You bought something for yourself too?" he smirked as he went to his side of the bed.

"Nope", Harry grinned before placing his phone on the nightstand and looking at Zayn who settled his head on Harry's lap.

"Then whose is it?"

"These are for our babies too I just wanted you to take a look at them."

"I know your choices baby. Of course, they're the best", he smiled a hand coming up to cup his cheek.

"I married you didn't I?" Harry grinned. "Now come on, take a look."

"If you insist", Zayn smiled before getting up and taking the bag on his lap. He took out two onesies, a green one and another golden one. "These are cute", Zayn mumbled, thumbing through the printed pattern. "These daisies and sunflowers add more life to it. It's cute."

"Mmhmm?!" Harry smiled a different smile.

"But don't you think it's a bit small for either of our babies?" Zayn narrowed his eyes playfully with a goofy smile.

"Yeah, two of our babies are grown up now aren't they?" Harry smiled as he leaned forward to rest his forehead against Zayn's. "But didn't you promise a dozen of them?"

Confusion. It was written all over Zayn's face before the truth dawned on him and he could feel all the blood drain from his face. Harry wiggled his eyebrows making Zayn burst out laughing for a good minute before he started peppering kisses all over Harry's face making him giggle adorably.

"I love you, I love you, I love you, God I love you so much", Zayn mumbled over and over again as he pulled Harry down with him as they lay on the bed.

"And I love you more", Harry smiled and pressed a wet kiss on his husband's forehead before kissing him deeply with tongue teeth and all.

"Wait", Zayn frowned. "So how far along you are?"

"Don't be mad", Harry started with a begging tone. "Please, please, please."

"More than eight weeks", Zayn stated with a blank face.

"Twelve."

"What?" Zayn hissed as he turned them over so now he's on top of Harry.

"I'm sorry", Harry mumbled looking everywhere but his face. "I just got to know two days before you leave for California. If I tell you then I know you won't go but I also know how much that program means to you so, it seemed like my only option."

"Seriously babe?" Zayn twisted his face, not to let his tears fall but still, those traitors betrayed him as Harry looked up because of the wetness.

"I'm sorry", Harry started tearing up. "I know you deserve to know as soon as I found out but..." he trailed off.

"No, no, no", Zayn whispered as cleaned his tears. "Don't cry, love. I'm not mad at you. I'm just disappointed in myself."

"What?"

"I let you go through your first trimester alone without me and with our two little rascals who would've absolutely drained you dry and on top of all that you went found out about my stupid marriage and I'm pretty sure that would've drained you emotionally too and all because of my stupid literature program—"

"Zayn, stop it", Harry frowned. "Stop blaming it all on yourself, I'm the one who made these decisions and I'm okay with it. It's not my first time. I've been through this three times already."

"I know, I know you're strong enough to go through this alone another million times but, I'm just saying if I was here I would've made it feel better."

"I know", Harry smiled. "And I'm sorry I stole your special moments in this pregnancy."

"It's alright", Zayn smiled, stroking his cheekbone. "You heard the heartbeat then?"

"Yeah", Harry grinned. "You want the ultrasound?"

"Yes please", Zayn smiled as Harry got up from his embrace and went into their walk-in closet. He arrived a minute later with several ultrasounds.

"4th to 12th-week", Harry said as he spread them out in front of Zayn.

Zayn's hands shook as he picked up the 12th-week sonogram. "Fuck", he whispered and turned to look at the two onesies. "Jesus", he squealed before getting out of bed and picking up Harry in bridal style for a little swirl session.

"Stop, stop", Harry laughed as held onto his husband for his dear life. "I'm already dizzy you fool."

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I'm so so happy", Zayn grinned like a fool before putting his husband down. He pulled him in for another tight hug and didn't let him go. "Who else knows about this?"

"You, me and Dr Reynolds."

"That's it?" Zayn frowned, pulling away a little to look at his face.

"I'm not going to tell anyone before telling you, my love."

"So you seriously went through all this alone?" Zayn asked, his face twisting with a mixture of fondness and worry.

"You are always here", Harry smiled, hand over his chest, right where his heart is.

"What did I do deserve you?" Zayn choked out feeling awfully emotional today.

"Baba?" A little voice called making them both look at the doorway where Cindy is standing, frowning a little, a hand carefully placed on the back of Alec's head who was balancing himself as gripped onto Cindy's waist tightly. "Are you crying?"

"Yes, butterfly", he smiled as he moved to meet them in the middle.

"Why?" She questioned adorably glaring at her dad as if he did something.

"I didn't do anything", Harry pouted before picking up Alec.

"Sit down Harry", Zayn said as he pushed Harry to sit on the edge of the bed. "Baba is crying because he's so happy", he smiled as he kneeled in front of his daughter.

"Why are you happy?" She asked as she let Alec play with one of her fingers from where he is sitting on Harry's lap.

"Because", He whispered as if he was telling a secret. "You're going to become a big sister."

She frowned, not really understanding. "But, I am already one."

"Yes, you are", Zayn picked her up before settling beside Harry on the bed. "The best."

"Yes", She smiled as she pressed a kiss on Alec's cheek who giggled happily when he got her attention.

"I'm saying", Zayn started gaining her attention again. "You're going to become a sister again."

"Again?"

"Yes."

"I'm going to have another little brother?"

"Brothers or sisters or a brother and a sister", Zayn explained, "They're twins."

"Two of them?" Cindy asked in awe.

"Yes", Zayn smiled, feeling close to tears again.

"Oh my god", She squealed before turning to look at Alec who was watching them with wide eyes, "You're going to become a big brother MUFFIN!!"

He giggled even though Zayn's pretty sure he didn't understand much, "Big."

"Yes", she hugged him letting both Zayn and Harry hold them from falling, "I'll teach you how to be a good big sibling."

"I goog big sible", he frowned but giggled when she tickled his sides.

"We don't know that yet", she kissed his nose and looked at Harry. "When are they going to be here dad?"

"In like 6 months baby."

"Are they in here too?" she asked pointing to his belly.

"Yes", he smiled as she caressed his belly and Zayn felt tears on his cheeks as he remembered how he once didn't believe there was a baby in Harry's belly and now that same baby is preciously waiting for her new siblings.

"The babies are there", she showed to Alec who frowned. Zayn chuckled 'of course, he won't believe it'.

Alec looked at his dad's belly and then at his dad who is smiling down at him, "Yes baby they are inside."

"Why?" He pouted. "You eat them?" his lips wobbling.

"No baby", Harry laughed wiping his tears.

"He didn't eat you", Cindy had a calculative frown on her face, "So I'm pretty sure he didn't eat them too."

"He didn't eat them baby", Zayn explained as Alec didn't stop pouting yet, "Babies are very very small now. They have to grow right? So they want a safe place and that is inside dad's belly", the same old story he explained to Cindy three years ago.

Alec looked at Harry who nodded in confirmation. He then pressed a long kiss to Harry's belly who kissed his head in return.

"There are two of them", Cindy whispered. Alec pressed another kiss to Harry's belly and cuddled with them. Since their big sister is one jealous fellow, she got up from Zayn's lap and cuddled up with her siblings on Harry's lap.

Twenty minutes later after putting them both to nap again Zayn walked into their room to witness Harry caressing his bump in front of the mirror. He walked toward him and Harry smiled through the mirror when he noticed him.

"You looked awfully tired hours ago", Zayn as he hugged him from behind letting his hands caress the downside of his baby bump. "And you're glowing now. What kind of witchcraft is this?"

"Pregnancy", Harry smiled.

"Right", Zayn smiled and pressed a kiss to Harry's shoulder, "For a 12-week-old, your bump seems pretty small."

"I asked about it too", Harry said as they both locked their eyes in the mirror, "the doctor said it's perfectly fine. Every pregnancy is different, so there's nothing to worry about it."

"Good", Zayn kissed his cheek, "You know, last night I genuinely thought you dropped your diet or something."

"I knew it", Harry laughed.

"Yeah well", Zayn shrugged, unapologetically. "Your thighs have gotten thicker, your arms got a little bit of fat and your face got chubby, just a little. Finally, your stomach looked bloated."

"Bloated?" Harry rose a brow.

"Now I know why", Zayn defended as he pulled back and turned Harry to face him. "Have I ever told you how gorgeous you are?"

"Only around 15 times a day for the past 10 years"

"Good", he pressed a kiss on Harry's lips. "I'm gonna remind you that for the rest of your life."

"For the rest of ours", Harry smiled.

THE END

A.N.: This story is inspired by a Tamil movie, Sillunu Oru Kadhal.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.2K 1K 28
ᕼE ᗯᗩᔕ ᗰY ᕼᗩᑭᑭY ᗰOᗰEᑎTᔕ TᕼᗩT I ᑕOᑌᒪᗪ ᑎEᐯEᖇ ᖴOᖇGET. ᑌᑎTIᒪ I ᗪIᗪ. Rankings #1 in zarry [27.08.2022]
143K 8.2K 40
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘭𝘦𝘦𝘱 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘣𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘴 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭 𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘯...
7.1K 336 19
~ FINISHED ~ 𝙷𝙸𝙶𝙷𝚂𝙲𝙷𝙾𝙾𝙻 𝙰𝚄 {𝘈 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘳𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺} 𝙷𝚊𝚛𝚛𝚢 𝚒𝚜 𝚊𝚗 𝚊𝚍𝚙𝚘𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚔𝚒𝚍. 𝙷𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚋𝚛𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛, 𝚉�...
21.1K 85 46
larry one shots! all stories' are different and taken from ao3