NOT THE SAME (DUSKWOOD FANFIC...

Autorstwa ughshewrites

⚠️NONE OF THE CHARACTERS ARE MINE EXCEPT MC (JADE)⚠️ This story starts after the end of the Duskwood, which m... Więcej

GOOD ACCIDENTS
THE FAKE ACT
LOCKED
PROMISE

A YEAR LATER

179 5 3
Autorstwa ughshewrites

"Ma'am, would you like to order something?" the waitress asks me again with the same calmness in her tone, smiling more brightly. I notice her red lipstick on the side of her teeth.

"Ma'am?" she asks again when I don't reply, she adds "Is he not coming?"

Of course, she knows I'm waiting for someone. I had been sitting in that restaurant for an hour checking my phone every few minutes and biting my nails in nervousness. At this point, anyone would know that I got stood up. This suddenly reminded me of Dan. I had made fun of him back then, but now that I know what it feels like. Trust me, it doesn't feel very good. Even if you don't care or love the person who didn't turn up. 

I order myself a chicken salad and orange juice solely because it didn't seem appropriate to leave the restaurant after I had occupied their table for an hour. 

When I looked around me, everything was normal. There were couples, some were with their families, everyone having a good time with their loved ones. What would life feel like if my parents were still alive and healthy? what would it be like to have a sister or a brother? How amazing would that be, be around people you care so much about and when you know they love you too? 

Tears fill my eyes and I quickly wipe them with the back of my hand. No, I cannot cry and embarrass myself more tonight, I remind myself. I have to pretend to be normal, finish what I have ordered, and get out of here. 

After ten minutes of chewing rapidly and gulping the juice, the mission is complete. Sure, I could see some people and the staff staring at me like I was a monster but I didn't care. I'm not coming here again anyway. I pay with my card and walk out as if I'm in a rush. 

I promised myself to never go on a blind date ever again on the way back to my apartment. I could invest my time in dating and maybe if I tried I could really find love again. but I guess I didn't want to try.

because of him... My heart whispers and I scream out loud as if that thought would go away but it never does. He never leaves my mind even if it has been a long time now. I try explaining to myself again that surely he must've moved on by now, gotten busy with his own life. Surely, I didn't mean anything to him. It was stupid to believe that he would contact me once I was invaluable to him. But if that were the case, he wouldn't have confessed-

my phone vibration brings me back to reality, the caller ID shows "Ellie." I pick up clearing my throat. 

"So? How was it?"  her voice makes me smile. 

"It was.. amazing." I hadn't planned on lying but I only did it so she would stop worrying about me and setting me up on blind dates every week. It was just a waste of time. I knew it would never work with any of the men I was meeting. 

"That's great! I can't believe it! so you are going out with him again, right?" the excitement in her voice kills me. 

"Yeah, sure." 

"that's amazing! Are you still with him?"

"Yeah.. he's walking me home," I tell her, hating myself for lying to her. 

"Ah, that's so gentlemanly of him. well, I don't want to disturb you. Have fun, I'll see you tomorrow."

I hang up, sighing. 

As I'm about to get in the elevator, my phone pings, and I decide to ignore it until I'm in my apartment but still check who it is. 

My heart stops. And I blink several times to make sure I'm not seeing things. It can't be him. It can't be Jake.

No...

But it is. It is Jake...

I shut my phone and get in the elevator. I need to get to the apartment before I open the message. The elevator seems like taking its own time, I cursed myself for choosing an apartment on the 15th floor. Not knowing why he texted me and what he texted me about was driving me crazy. 

When the elevator slides open, I run to my door. My nervousness makes it very hard for me to get the key in the keyhole, it seems to take hours. Finally, after a few tries, I enter the apartment and shut the door. 

Sitting on my couch, I take my phone out and press on his message. 

Only 4 words.

"You are in danger."

What? What does this mean? I have no time to think because the new message appears. 

"Get out of there."

"NOW."

I throw my phone beside me and stand up, trying to make sense. I wasn't really expecting this, but he says I'm in danger so he must be right. I should be hurrying up, packing my bag to get out of here but I don't seem to move. It feels like someone has applied glue on my feet, I don't know what to do and I can't think. 

After a few minutes, another message pops up "Open the door."

Not even a second later, there's a hard knock on the door and it scares me. I grab my phone and I'm sweating now, as I head for the door. 

Without thinking about it, I open the door. He lets himself in and locks the door in the blink of an eye. 

He is so close to me, we are almost touching each other. He has mesmerizing emerald-colored eyes that make me lose my mind, especially because he is staring hard at me but I can't see his expression because he is wearing a mask. He is breathing heavily which indicates that he was running. I have a strong urge to keep my hand on his chest and listen to his heart beating but I don't. We don't speak for minutes. 

My mind runs searching for something to break the awkward silence but thankfully he speaks first, "Can I please have your phone?" He gestures a finger towards the cell phone in my hand. 

But I don't understand what he says. My focus is on his voice. It's heavenly and not at all like that ugly device he used to cover his own voice before. 

 "Jake." My voice comes out shaky.

 It almost sounds like a question, like I'm confirming if he really is Jake. 

Without taking his eyes off me, he removes his cap revealing his soft black hair, and then he takes off his mask. 

"Yes." He says, in an emotionless voice. 

Oh, he is beautiful. The most beautiful creature on this planet. Pink full lips, straight nose, and his jawbone could cut grass, I swear. 

And I'm sure I look like an idiot right now. I wished I could cover myself up in a blanket and hide but it was too late for that. He had already seen me. It was over. 

I force myself to look away from him and turn away "Why do you want my phone?"

"Well, you already read the messages I sent you." He adds as he removes his backpack, taking out his laptop and setting them on the table "They know where you are and I need your phone so I can break the connection."

"What?" I turn around "Who knows where I am, Jake?"

"I'm sorry." He says as he walks toward me "I'm so sorry, it's all my fault. But I promise you I will fix this. Nothing will happen to you as long as I'm alive." His voice sounds like he might cry, but he is trying so hard to control his emotions. 

He still cared about me? I.. "So, what now?" I ask him, shutting my thoughts. 

"We need to get out of here." he takes a quick glance around and then looks back at me, his eyes concentrating on me as if something was on my face "Are you okay?" He asks softly. 

"What do you mean by getting out of here?" I fold my arms. Does he mean I have to leave everything behind? For how long? 

Before he could answer his phone starts beeping loudly in his pocket and he whispers "Shit" before moving to his laptop on the table.

"What happened?" I ask but he doesn't respond to me. 

He keeps typing random keys and without looking at me he says in a rush, "Pack your stuff, we are leaving in a few minutes."

I push my phone to the table and then head for my bedroom. I grab the backpack and shove a few clothes and some essentials in. I couldn't believe what was happening. I didn't even know what was happening, to be honest. But I couldn't argue right now. When I go back to the living room after a few minutes, the beeping had stopped and I find Jake with his hand in his hair staring at the screen.

I peek at his screen like I'm going to understand anything he was doing "Where are we even going?" 

He shuts his laptop and slides it into his bag. Standing up, he says "Duskwood."

"What?!" Not believing what I had just heard I ask him again. 

He puts his hand on my shoulder "I'm going to take you to Duskwood. You will be safe there with everyone. When I have made sure of your complete safety, you can be back here again and continue with your normal life."

I take a step towards him, and now we are touching each other "And what about you? Am I never going to see you again after that?" What about us?

He looks at me surprised and then whispers in a barely audible voice "Yes, you will never see me again."

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

906K 41.5K 175
𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 the boy who lived falls for the girl who had no one
2.7M 64.6K 131
[BOOK ONE IN THE LIFELINE SERIES] life·line ˈlīfˌlīn/ noun "A person you can always depend on to help you in a really messed up situation where you n...
1.1M 44.6K 51
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
245K 6K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...