Comfort Inn

By EssenceRayneStorm

Rayne is a writer to the stars who finds herself with conflicted feelings of one particular star. What happen... More

Introduction
Chapter One: Studio Flow
Chapter Three: Souls
Chapter Four: The Meeting
Chapter Five: Space Jam
Chapter Six: 2 Seconds
Updates

Chapter Two: Yesterday

454 9 0
By EssenceRayneStorm

I was sitting in class, waiting for the teacher to show up finally. Man, he needs to hurry up. He's always late and then wants to go over. I mean, I like this class because it's creative writing, but still, he takes too long to get here, and then he wants to talk all day.

 "Hey, Weather." I looked up at her, ready to slap her because I knew she was trying to be funny. 

"It's Rayne." 

"Yeah, so I hear you are a writer." 

"Well, this is a writing class, isn't it." She did one of those faked giggles. 

"Oh, you are just so funny." 

"Why are you bothering me?" 

"I just saw you in a picture with Chris Brown on his Instagram." 

"Let me guess, you see me in that picture, and you think there is some way I could get you to meet him." Her eyes lit up. 

"Well, that sucks for you because I'm not. Aw, don't look so disappointed. I never do nice things for people I can't stand. So now you don't have to feel so alone." 

She got up and walked away. Ugh, I'm so sick of these girls who act funny around me, and then when they find out who I am, they want to befriend me. That's why I don't stay in the dorms anymore. Some of the guys try to be groupies, too.

 During freshman year, I had this roommate, one of the fakest people I have ever met. I wanted to stay in the dorms because I finally wanted to interact with other people and make genuine friendships. 

It didn't last long. I moved out the second semester and got my apartment with Tiffany. 

"Rayne, now that was just straight-up mean." My best friend Brian said, sitting next to me. 

"She should have never tried me. Calling me the weather." He laughed, so I hit him. 

"That's not funny, Brian." 

"So, did you get started on the end-of-the-year project?" 

"Yep, when he assigned it, we do have to write a mini book. How about you?" 

"I figured I'll just wing it when the time comes." 

"That's why you are failing this class." 

"Hey, I'm passing." 

"Barely," I said, joking. 

"I do what I can to get by." 

"Good morning, class. Sorry, I'm late." 

He's late every day. What does he mean? Sorry, I'm late. 

"Okay, class, so today is poetry presentation day. Who would like to go first." 

No one raised their hands. 

"I would," I said aloud. 

I would so I can sleep through everyone else lame poems. Many people only take this class because of the supposed easy A, but this class is more complicated than you think. I got up and went to the front of the class with my notebook. 

"The poem I wrote is called Mirrors." 

"My world is a consciousness of being...being mirrored back to me...If I'm willing to see myself in this mirror, I see myself...my reflection of my world...To understand my behavior, I must understand the meanings behind certain situations...Looking at my everyday actions between myself and everyone else...I'm learning who I am through you...It's your personality that feeds my soul...In this mirror, I see...The looking-glass self...We are shaped by a society which is ourselves..."

Everyone clapped, as everyone should do any class or school presentation, even if they don't like it. 

"Does anyone have any questions or comments?" 

The professor asked. Some boy who sat in the back of the class and hardly ever said a word spoke up. 

"I like it. I felt as if it was a reflection of your soul." 

After he said that, I felt a sharp pain run through my body. I don't know what that was, but it was strange. 

"Yes, yes, it was. It was perfect and got me thinking about how I see myself." Some girl said. 

"I know it made me think differently." Someone else chimed in. 

"What does it mean?" 

"A subconscious world vs. reality," I said. 

I sat down because no one else had any more questions or comments. 

"I'll go next," said Brian said. "I mean, I can't top Rayne's poem, but I prepared a poem by Maya Angelou. It was my favorite poem until today. It wasn't like this yesterday by Brian."

"No, it wasn't like this yesterday; the sky was pale and gray, the wind was cold, the flowers slept, and the music was far away; it wasn't like this yesterday; my dreams were kept at bay today I found at my surprise the sky, and as your eyes true blue the wind was warm flowers abound and music loud and true no it wasn't like this yesterday...yesterday it wasn't you."

Everyone clapped. I was confused. Brian was looking at me while he was saying the poem. He always looks at me when he has to get up in front of the class. He says it's because he hates public speaking, but when he looks, it's like talking to a friend. 

But I don't know, this time it was different. I couldn't clap; I just turned and looked away. 

"Wonderfully done, Brian. I think this is your best work ever." 

"Thank you." 

"Class any comments or questions." 

"I thought it was a beautiful poem." Some girl said. 

"Who or what is the poem about." Some guy said. 

"It's about a person that I know." 

Everyone in the class turned and started making noise. I was still trying to figure the poem out. I've known Brian for almost two years, and he never mentioned any yesterday. 

"Okay, class, settle. Done. Nice job, Brian. You may have a." 

"Wait," I said, cutting off our professor. Brian hesitated and shuffled his feet a bit. "Who is yesterday?" 

"Yesterday?" The professor questioned. 

"Yes, yesterday, who is yesterday." 

"I think yesterday is just the day, Rayne," Kyle said again. 

"No, if you were paying attention to the poem, yesterday is the person." 

"No, yesterday is just the day Rayne." Brain said and walked off. I know I was right yesterday. That is the person. We sat and listened to more poems, but I couldn't pay attention. I was too busy trying to figure out Brian's poem.

"Rayne, Rayne." I heard someone calling my name, breaking me out of my thoughts. 

"Huh, oh, sorry." 

"Class is over," said Brian. 

"Oh, Brian, I have a little time before my next class. Want to go grab a bite to eat."

 What am I saying? He knows that, and we always grab something to eat before our next class. 

"Naw, I must do some stuff; I'll catch you later." He said, not even glancing at me. 

"Oh, okay, well, I'll call you later." 

"Um, hum." 

He said, walking out of class. I wonder what his problem is. Oh well, there's no time for babysitting feelings. So be it if he doesn't want to tell me what's up. I just walked out and headed to the cafe. One class down, another to go. I'm just ready for this day to be over with. I'm so tired. I've been in the studio all night and must return later today.

"Chris, did you come to the studio to bother me." 

"Oh, so now I'm bothering you." 

"Yes, you are." 

"Well, I will keep bothering you until you say yes." 

"Look, little boy, I'm a writer, not a video hoe." 

"Now, would I have you looking cheap in the video?" I gave him that look. "Come on, Rayne." 

"Chris, I said no." 

"Hey, Chris, when is Ol boy coming so we can lay down this track." 

"I don't know. I called him an hour ago, and he said give him 15 min." 

I started writing while Jay and Chris argued about the guy who was supposed to be there. 

"I'm not his keeper nigga. It's not my fault he's not here." 

"So when you say you gonna do something, you should do it." 

"What I'm here." 

"So you're the one that wants to do this track, man. I could be making money doing something else." 

"What are you talking about, your night job?" 

"Look nigga you're the one that is sending your d*** all over the Internet." 

"Don't play me like that." 

"Nigga you don't play me like that." 

"Would y'all both shut up?" 

"Yeah, listen to her." 

The person who was supposed to be here an hour ago walked in. All of our attention turned to him. 

"Man, what took you so long." "(Whoever is out now because I don't listen to these people) Wanted me to be in their video, and it went over." 

"You could've let me know, man." 

"Man, stop whining like a little girl." 

"Look, are you all ready? I don't have all day," Jay said. 

"Yeah, Rayne, are you done." 

"Yeah, here you go." 

"Oh Rayne, this is..." 

"I know. Well, I don't know. I've seen him on TV." 

"Well, you should." 

"Excuse me," I said with a confused look. 

"You must have forgotten you ran into me so hard yesterday my chest is still hurting."

I felt embarrassed, and I don't know why. I turned away and apologized.

"I told you yesterday it was my fault." 

He sat down next to me. Chris and Jay were in the booth going over the song. 

"So your name is Rayne?" 

"Isn't that what Chris said." 

"Your eyes." 

"What about them." I was starting to get... 

"Irritated." Uh, how did he know that? 

"Your eyes there cold, you know." 

"Um, no, I don't." 

"You know they say your eyes are the gateway to your soul." 

"Yes, I've heard." 

"You have such a beautiful soul; you need not be so cold." 

I felt that sharp pain that I felt earlier run through my body. 

I didn't know what to say or how to feel. All I could say was thank you. I felt uncomfortable.   

"So, what's the story behind your name?" 

"My mother. She told me that she used to like rain storms when she was a kid. She told me it was because of how the lightning lit up the sky and the sound thunder would make like music. One summer day, it was raining outside. She was in the car with her father."

I don't know why I am about to tell a stranger anything about my life. I never share anything. 

"It was a surprise trip that they were taking to see my grandmother. The storm was so bad that her father lost control of the car. She survived, and he didn't because he covered himself over her as the car flipped over. She said everyone thought it would be a curse for her to name me Rayne Storm because of that awful day, but to her, it was one of the best days of her life because her father gave his life for her." 

Strangely, I had never told that story to anyone before, and speaking it to someone I didn't even know was odd. I don't know about August, but he makes me feel different. 

"It was nice of her to turn a tragic situation into a happy one. So what are you writing?" 

"A project for my writing class." 

"Can I read it?" 

"Maybe when it's finished." Jay left the booth, and Chris started to lay down the track. 

"August, you got your verse ready." 

"Naw, I'm almost done. I have to make some changes." August turned his attention back to me. 

"So, what school do you go to?" 

"Spelman." 

"So what's your major?" 

"I'm undecided right now."

"I've always wanted to go to college." 

"Why not go now." His eyes widened a little; that was the first time I saw a change in his expression while talking to me. 

"I'm not sure, maybe." 

Jay returned to working the controls and ensuring Chris hit the right notes. August took out his phone and started to read. 

"You haven't even started writing your part, have you?" 

"Huh, uh, yes, I have." 

It was strange because he acted differently than when he had talked to me. He was calmer than now, and his voice was like when he spoke to Jay and Chris. 

"How would you know?" His voice went back to being normal. 

"I don't know, I just can tell." 

"Well, that's nice." 

He's a strange one. No matter what, I can't figure him out. He keeps this same facial expression on his face.

A/N: Most of the changes in this chapter are from the next chapter. So that means the next chapter is going to be a completely new, unread chapter. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 139 33
What do you do when you find yourself falling for someone else? Do you stay with the man who saved you from your past? Or do you take a chance with a...
289K 14.2K 34
Niggas ain't shit. August Alsina fan-fiction. Highest rankings- #1 in AugustAlsina and Auggie
148K 3.1K 25
Welcome To The Life Of August Alsina !! Hope You Guys Enjoy , This Is My First Story , Don't Forget To Leave Me Feedback !! - Em
135K 8.2K 57
what happens when she sneaks her way into his cold heart and makes him feel things he has always denied himself to feel.