To the Highest Bidder Go the...

Per AndyTaggart188

A year ago Gavin was plucked from his life in New Orleans and moved fifteen hours away. With his family not t... Més

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3 (18+)
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 (18+)
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21 (18+)
Chapter 22
Epilogue

Chapter 11

219 12 0
Per AndyTaggart188

"I should beat you senseless," Zeke threatened. He sat across from Anderson in the coffee shop sipping his latte lazily.

His friend looked up from his tablet. He locked it then leaned back in his chair. "Why? Because I didn't update his chart or because I didn't tell you when I found out?"

"Both."

"Zeke, I don't have to tell you anything. I can very easily keep everything from you because of doctor/patient confidentiality. The only reason I do is because that kid knows how overbearing you are. He doesn't want to argue with you."

They stared at each other for a long while. Zeke knew he was right. Anderson wasn't obligated to say anything about Gavin's medical history. The only reason he did was because Gavin gave him permission. If for any reason he decided to rescind that permission, Zeke would never know what's going on with the younger man.

Anderson sipped his coffee then set the cup on the table. "How is he doing? This week he doesn't have treatment, does he?"

Zeke shook his head. "No, he doesn't. He's on fall break this week. It gives him a chance to rest."

"You haven't been overbearing with him, have you?"

Again, another shake of the light head. "No. I've left him alone. I just make sure he tries to eat and drinks plenty of fluid. He sleeps most of the day."

Anderson nodded absently. "He's going to need a lot of sleep. Chemo kills good cells and bad. When he goes to the hematologist, they will check if it's working or if he needs a bone marrow transplant."

"Bone marrow transplant?" Zeke asked. Anderson nodded solemnly. "What is that?"

"That's what this type of leukemia is. It starts in the bone marrow, or the soft part inside the bone, and invades the blood. Since bone marrow forms the red and white blood cells and platelets, it is quick to invade the body. Gavin's is chronic meaning his symptoms didn't present themselves as quickly as an acute type. The only way we found it is because I noticed a bruise on his butt from where you were a little too violent." Zelo had the decency to look contrite. Anderson didn't have to take his head off. "He said it'd been there for a couple of weeks. Instead of looking like the yellowish-green of a healing bruise, it was still black and blue."

"Would hickeys do that?"

"Deeper ones can, but the ones I saw that day were light brown. They were already healing so I wasn't as concerned."

Zeke inhaled deeply and released it just as deeply. There was so much he didn't know about this disease. Gavin had kept it a secret for two weeks because he hadn't known how to handle it, but what about Zeke? How was he supposed to deal with a diagnosis he had no idea about?

Anderson watched his friend. He saw all the emotions fly across his face at one time. Most of his patients who had found out they had a chronic or terminal illness had this exact same reaction. How did they deal with it? What was the course of action? How did they tell their family so they would have the support when they needed it? All those questions and so many more flew out of their mouths as they tried to comprehend the change that was about to come over them.

In reality, he didn't have the answers. He had science. That's all he could go on. The family was the major factor in a patient's healing process. They were the ones who kept the appointments, made sure the patient took the medicines, and held the hair as it was shaved off. They were the backbone of the treatment.

"Zeke, there are support groups for families and partners of patients. You can always find one and plug in," Anderson said. His friend looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "It helps loved ones feel more in control of an out of control situation. He's only going to get sicker before he gets better. And you can't do it alone."

"I won't be doing it alone. His friends know. They've agreed to take turns in going with him to doctor's visits and therapies," Zeke replied.

"So you've loosened your rules?"

The lighter haired man nodded. "I need to if he's going to get better." He swallowed roughly as the emotions got to him. "I had to make a difficult decision. I called his mother to come."

Anderson's tongue poked out from between his lips. That was shocking news. He knew how Zeke felt about the woman. "What did she say, because last I heard Olivia wanted nothing to do with her son because she believed he left New Orleans to live with you."

"I don't know. Gavin also believes I agreed to buy him. I haven't told him that the contract was drafted by Raoul. Even my legal team didn't realize he was part of the contract until after it was signed. By then, I couldn't get out of it. So I honored it and brought him here."

"There's so much bullshit that's gone on for the last year that I'm amazed you've put up with it."

Zeke shrugged. "I did it to take care of Gavin. He may think I'm an asshole, and I may be one, but he's very well taken care of here. Even if I go overboard."

"If?" Anderson laughed. His friend made a face that said he was going to kill him. "Hopefully she comes to see him. He needs his mother and as many people to help him through this."

~~~~~~~

Two weeks passed since his conversation with Anderson. Zeke sat in the outpatient surgery waiting room as he waited for Gavin to return. At one of his appointments, they had made the decision to put in a port to make it easier for him to have chemo. Dr. Wright had scheduled the surgery a week ago.

Olivia had called him again asking about Gavin and his diagnosis. Zeke had told him everything he had known, but none of it had mattered. She refused to come see him. She still believed her son had left New Orleans to live with a man he barely knew. He wouldn't be able to get through to her until she knew the truth.

"If you don't come see him now, don't even think about coming to visit anymore," he'd said.

She hadn't argued with him; she'd merely hung up. Zeke had felt bad about it, but he couldn't dwell on it. He had to make sure Gavin was taken care of in the best way possible.

Dr. Wright knocked on the outer wall and pulled the curtain back. She smiled as she pulled her mask off and adjusted her scrub cap.

"Are you Zeke Daniels?" she asked. He nodded as he stood up and shook her hand. "I just wanted to make sure. Your name was on all the forms but I had never seen you before."

"Gavin just told me about his diagnosis several days ago. He had a friend bring him to chemo before he told me." He rubbed his hands on his pants. "Is he alright? Did everything go okay?"

Her smile widened. "Everything's fine. He did perfect. We put him completely under so it would be easier on him. He was a little overwhelmed so it was the right call. He's in recovery now. I've already scheduled his next round of chemo for next week. This time it will be three rounds in three weeks followed by a three week respite period. Before we schedule anymore, we'll do a checkup to see where we need to go from there. If it works, we will look into radiation next."

"Is there anything I can do at home?"

"This is rare for a man in his early twenties, but we will treat it as we would anything else. He will get the best care we can give. But at home, he needs a high protein diet when he can eat. If he can't, protein shakes would be his best benefit. They will keep him hydrated and give him the nutrients he needs. Go easy on the bread though."

"He has celiac's disease so he doesn't eat gluten." Zeke looked up from where he was typing on his phone. "Is there anything else?"

"Keep his port clean. You'll have to change the bandage every two to three days. There's a cap on it to prevent water from getting into it, but it's better to keep it out of water as much as possible. If it becomes too much of a hassle, have Anderson change the bandage and clean the incision. He said he'd help as much as he can."

They hashed out the finer details, and Zeke sat back down to wait on Gavin. He didn't wait long. The gurney came back, and Gavin glanced at him. He smiled and settled back on his pillow. He had to drink some juice and go to the bathroom before he could go home.

An hour later they were walking through the front door. Gavin was still a bit loopy from the anesthesia so Zeke helped him to the couch. He piled several pillows behind him and draped the throw over his lap. Gavin smiled at him then lay back to get comfortable.

Zeke went into the kitchen and jotted down a list of foods he had looked up. All of them were high in proteins such as lean meats and vegetables. He also listed several protein shakes and other shakes to get enough nutrients in him on days he can't eat.

"Mrs. Morgan, please pick these up when you go to the grocery store," he said. He slid the list across the counter.

The cook looked at it and nodded. "We have some of these already, but when I go at the end of the week, I will make sure to pick them up." She looked into the living room but she couldn't see Gavin. "How is he doing?"

"He's tired. The surgery went well. They're giving him a week to heal before they start another series of chemo."

"Just let us know what we need to do to make him comfortable."

"I will. We should keep plenty of drinks with electrolytes as well. And please order a mini fridge for the bedroom."

The woman nodded and went about her business. She made lunch for the two of them, keeping to something light as not to aggravate Gavin's sensitive stomach.

Zeke went back into the living room to find Gavin asleep. He looked peaceful despite his entire body being ravaged by disease. He ran his fingers through his hair, frowning as more came away from his scalp.

Gavin opened his eyes and smiled. He sighed and shifted back into the pillows. "We're going to have to do something about that."

"It's a shame," Zeke replied. "You just cut it to the length you like."

"It's fine. I'd rather cut it myself than have it all fall out in stages." He opened his dull brown eyes and looked at him. "Did you hear back from my mom?"

Zeke's heart fell as he looked into the sickly eyes. He shook his head sadly. Gavin sighed and nodded. He pulled the blanket up over his arms.

"I didn't figure she would come. She thinks I'm a horrible son."

"You're not horrible." He wanted to tell him the truth but now wasn't the time. He needed to heal from this surgery before he could hear any more news. Mrs. Morgan set the tray on the coffee table. "Can you try to eat for me? It's just soup."

"I'm not hungry right now."

"Two bites is all I am asking." Gavin sat up and leaned over the edge. He accepted the two spoonfuls fed to him then nodded. "Do you want some more?"

"Can you put it in a cup?" Zeke called for Mrs. Morgan to bring an empty cup and carefully poured the soup into it. He pressed it into Gavin's hand and helped him bring it to his mouth. "Thanks." He took another sip and sat back on the couch. "Tomorrow, can we order coffee? I'd like to have a cafe crafted latte."

"I'll get you anything you like."

Gavin smiled. He took another sip of the soup. "We need to discuss another thing."

Zeke dipped his spoon into the warm liquid and brought it to his mouth. "What is it?"

"I've talked to my professors. Since we're halfway through this semester, they said I could work from home since I am taking such a hit to my immune system. But next semester are practicals. I won't have as much leeway." He swallowed hard. Tears formed in his eyes, and he fought back all the emotions. "We've made the decision that it would be best for me to withdraw from classes next semester to focus on my treatments. I can't miss days during practicals so it's the best decision."

Zeke set his bowl on the table and shifted forward. He rested his elbows on the couch as he held Gavin's wrist. He rubbed his fingers over the bony appendage gently, noting how much weight he'd lost in such a short amount of time.

"Will that push back your graduation date?" he asked. Gavin nodded and looked down. "What do you need from me?"

The other man looked up. "You're not mad?"

"Why would I be mad? This isn't something you can control." He reached up and rubbed his face gently. "Gavin, talk to me. You spent two weeks hiding this because you thought I couldn't handle it. But now I'm all in, and I need to know where you're at emotionally."

"I feel alone, like I've done something wrong. That it's my fault that this happened. I feel like I've let you all down. I was doing so well in school and now I have to take time off when I'm so close to graduating with honors." He gripped the cup until his knuckles were white. "I've broken every rule you have put in place, and I feel like shit because of it."

"Hey, hey." Zeke made him look at him with a finger under his chin. "None of this is your fault. You can't help that you're sick. As for the rules, they're nonexistent right now. You do what you can do. And the only rule is for you to get better."

Gavin nodded and sat back on the couch. Zeke watched him sip the soup slowly. When he was satisfied he had drunk most of it, he went back to eating his own lukewarm soup. Gavin settled back and was soon asleep.

"Martin," Zeke called. He set the tray on the counter as his assistant came into the kitchen. "Move all of my appointments from the office to the house. If anyone asks, tell them I've had a change in my personal life. If they can't change it, we will do virtual."

"What if none of that works?" Martin asked.

"Then we'll have to figure something else out. I don't want to mess up a deal, but his health is more important. He needs all the support he can get, and I don't want to bring anything in here that would compromise him."

Martin nodded and went to do as he was asked. Zeke looked at Gavin's sleeping head once more before he followed his assistant into his home office. He had a lot of work to catch up on since he'd spent the morning at the hospital. He wanted to get some things done before Gavin woke up and needed to eat or wanted to go to bed. 

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

Falling Per m

Novel·la juvenil

1.9M 99.7K 61
COMPLETED [boyxboy] Carson Hughes is a bright light. Vinny Taylor is an enigma. ** After spending his summer away as a camp counselor, Carson Hughe...
1.1M 29.6K 33
Ever since Adam came out as gay his been bullied by the pack especially by his brother Mark. The only reason why he stays in the pack is because of h...
3K 74 21
How does someone fall out of love and then fall back in love with another person in just the span of two weeks? Ask George, he did it. **** WARNING...
272K 11.2K 34
Elliot's partner was his whole world, but after Allan's death, his ghost haunts Elliot's dreams. Everyone tells Elliot to move on, but he isn't sure...