𝘼𝙡𝙡 𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙏𝙞𝙢𝙚 ▻ �...

By flawlesstiles

❝ i was 18 tommy, what was i supposed to do? ❞ ❝ stay. ❞ ▲ [ peaky blinders season 1 ] More

𝘼𝙡𝙡 𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙏𝙞𝙢𝙚
𝘾𝙖𝙨𝙩
𝙀𝙥𝙞𝙜𝙧𝙖𝙥𝙝
𝙋𝙧𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚
𝙊𝙣𝙚
𝙏𝙬𝙤
𝙏𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚
𝙁𝙤𝙪𝙧
𝙁𝙞𝙫𝙚
𝙎𝙞𝙭
𝙎𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣
𝙀𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩
𝙉𝙞𝙣𝙚
𝙀𝙡𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣
𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙡𝙫𝙚
𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙁𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙁𝙞𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙎𝙞𝙭𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙎𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙀𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙉𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮
𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙊𝙣𝙚
𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙏𝙬𝙤
𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙏𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚
𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙁𝙤𝙪𝙧
𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙁𝙞𝙫𝙚
𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙎𝙞𝙭
𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙎𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣
𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙀𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩
𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙉𝙞𝙣𝙚
𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮
𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙊𝙣𝙚
𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙏𝙬𝙤
𝘽𝙤𝙤𝙠 𝙊𝙣𝙚 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘵𝘦
𝘽𝙤𝙤𝙠 𝙏𝙬𝙤 𝘕𝘰𝘸 𝘖𝘶𝘵

𝙏𝙚𝙣

7.6K 183 15
By flawlesstiles

𝙏𝙚𝙣. 𝘍𝘪𝘳𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘒𝘪𝘯𝘨

...

LIKE A CIGARETTE WITHOUT A FLAME, useless the town of Small Heath was in the eyes of the Crown. A place where the sun seemed to never shine, only to be casted in a never-ending shadow. Covered in filth, where the men in the town were seen closer to wild animals than men themselves. Useless. Undesirable. Expendable. Those were only a few of the many reasons to why the act of tearing the town apart came without so much of a second thought.

     Elizabeth walk down the gloomy street of Watery Lane, presumedly towards the Shelby home. The sounds of panic and anger bounce off the stone walls, coming from the people of Small Heath. Shops and homes just torn apart in search of what Elizabeth can only assume to be the guns. That night where Thomas had admitted to her what he was hiding continued to replay in the back of her head, all throughout the rest of that night and into the present day.

As she proceeds closer to her destination, she spots a single woman trying to flip a couch from its side on the side of the road. Without another thought the golden haired girl diverges from her path of travel and walks up to the opposite side of the couch and takes hold.

"Thank you", the older woman says with a small smile.

"Of course", she replies back, "What happened?"

Elizabeth already knowing what happened, only saw more information as useful. Once she steps into the Shelby home she knows that this will be the talk of the day.

     "Some coppers came and ransacked the bloody place", she says, "Looking for something. God knows what but they clearly didn't find it. Did a good job tearing up the place though."

     "I'll send some men to help you clean up", Elizabeth says with a small smile, which is returned by the woman.

     As she reaches the door of the Shelby home she can already feel the presence of the family already inside. "Was wondering how long it'd take ya", Arthur yips at the girl the second she emerges from behind the door.

     "Don't mind me, I was just out helping the bloody people clean up this mess as you what, sit with your beer", Elizabeth retorts as she takes a stand beside her Aunt.

     "The coppers told everyone Arthur had agreed to it when he was arrested", Polly speaks, "They said the Peaky Blinders had cleared out to the fair to let them do it."

     "No one never said nothing to that copper about smashing up bloody houses!", Arthur says as he clenches the handle of his beer cup tighter in anger.

     "All right", Thomas says as he lets out a breath of sigh, "Which pubs did they do?"

     "The Guns, The Chain, The Marquis", Polly lists, "All the ones that pay you to protect them. The only one they didn't touch was The Garrison."

     Of course, the blonde thinks to herself. Pol takes a moment to light a cigarette, then continues, "Made sure people think we were in on it. Smart, this copper."

     A moment of silence stood between them all, as they all knew this would only bring problems. Problems they seemingly didn't have time for. "So go on. Drink your beers. Get out", Polly exclaims, "You better show people you'll still the cocks of the walk."

     "Hand out some cash to the landlords of the pubs", Thomas adds, "Pay some veterans to fix the places up."

     The men in the room all quickly finish their cup of beer and set their empty glass on the table before disappearing behind the shop doors. "So what about you Tommy?", Arthur asks as he swings his long coat over his shoulders.

"I've to go to Charlie's to stable the horse", he replies as he takes a drag of his lit cigarette, "Looked foot sore in the box."

"Let them see your faces", Polly exclaims as she and Arthur too disappear behind the shop doors; Polly giving the girl a look in the eyes as the doors close.

Elizabeth stand there, still in silence, as she knows she is the only one left standing in the room with Mr. Thomas Shelby.

"I think it's safe to assume we both know what they're looking for", she speaks first, catching Thomas slightly off guard.

He looks up at the girl who is not looking back at him, but at the ground in front of her. "How many?", she asks, "Churchill wouldn't send a man like that over a few petty guns."

"So you're an expert on guns now eh?", Thomas replies with a slight smirk on his face, missed by his girl as her eyes stay locked on the floor.

"I can read", she says suddenly looking up at the man, "You're not the only one who waded into a war."

"A crate full", Thomas say lowly after a quick moment of silence, Elizabeth's head tilting to the side.

"A fuckin' crate full of handguns!", Elizabeth exclaims, still making sure to keep her voice low enough.

Thomas slightly shakes his head, "Lewis machine gun, rounds of ammunition, semi-automatic rifles, pistols with shells", he lists.

"Fuckin' hell Thomas", Elizabeth says letting out a breathy sigh.

"It was supposed to be routine", he says, "Steal four bikes with petrol, bring 'em back to Charlie's."

"You're saying they're just sitting out there?", she asks.

"We put them in the stables", Thomas assures, "Keep them out of the rain."

"I think the rain should be the least of your worries", Elizabeth exclaims, "This cooper won't rest until they're in his hands Thomas."

Thomas could see the expression on Elizabeth's face. One he knew well. The one that told him she wasn't telling him something. "Did he talk to you?", he asks and he can see her expression change again, indicating he hit the marker.

Elizabeth hated how he was able to pick up on her emotions, but then again, it was the same for him. "I think I can recall you don't care for women's business", she slyly replies.

     "Did he talk to you Elizabeth, yes or no?", he repeats, this time with more force in his tone.

"For what it's worth", Elizabeth says diverting her eyes from his that are pointed at her, "Yes."

Without another word Thomas grabs his coat off the back of a chair, quite harshly at that, and walks into the betting shop himself. Leaving Miss. Alder standing at the Shelby table alone.

Thomas could feel the blood in his veins turn in anger, as for what that he knows about the copper in town, the thought of him even being close to his Elizabeth sends angst down his spine. Why he felt this compassion towards her still ran through the back of his mind, as almost everything in his body tells him he should leave her for dead. It comes so easy for him with everyone else, why is it that he can't do the same with her?

...

A days worth of helping was how Elizabeth chose to spend the rest of her day. Although Polly insisted to leave it to the boys, that didn't cross her mind as an option.

Mainly tending to the small wounds people acquired earlier that day was what kept the girl busy. It actually brought her some joy one could say, as it was the closest she had ever got to what her younger self thought nursing would be.

     As night falls over the small town Elizabeth finds herself at The Garrison for a well deserved drink. "Harry says it's on the house", the blonde haired girl behind the bar says as she slides the glass of whiskey to her.

Elizabeth continues to squint at the girl as she knows for a fact she is new. Where she came from is still a mystery, but like most mysteries, Elizabeth sets to uncover the answers.

"What's your name?", Elizabeth asks as she takes a quick sip of her drink.

"Grace", she answers softly.

"You got a last name Grace?", Elizabeth asks.

"Burgess", she replies, "Grace Burgess."

Elizabeth slightly nods as she takes another sip of her drink. "Well Grace Burgess", she begins, "Don't be foolish and think no one's wondering."

"I'm not sure I understand Mrs. Flander", she says which causes Elizabeth to dart her eyes up at the girl, her hazel ones meeting the new barmaid's greenish-blue ones.

     "Wondering why a girl like you suddenly stumbles into a town like this only to pick up a job as a barmaid", Elizabeth exclaims.

     "Times are hard", Grace says looking down at the counter.

"For girls who look like you they're not", Elizabeth says, "They never are, unless you want them to be."

Grace's eyes stay on the counter as she can feel the other blonde haired woman's eyes across the bar on her, "Well, where you from Grace?", she asks with a slight smile in attempt to lighten the mood.

"Ireland", she says, "I used to work in Dublin."

"I've got some Irish blood in my veins myself", Elizabeth says and Grace lets out a small smile.

Like most people, Grace felt the intimidating yet warm feeling when around the golden haired girl. Something she noticed the second Elizabeth stepped into the pub. Also given the fact that Harry had told her her drinks are also on the house, and the only other drinks that are on the house to her knowledge are for the Shelby's.

"Finn, lad", Harry's voice says interrupting Grace's thoughts, "What are you doing?"

"We're having a fire", little boy says as he snatches the picture of the king off the wall.

As the littlest Shelby runs out of the pub Elizabeth shoots back the rest of her drink and places her glass down on the bar, "Boys", she says as she rolls her eyes and places a few coins on the bar, "Keep it this time why don't ya Harry."

Without hesitation Elizabeth quickly runs after Finn Shelby, as the talk of a fire from the young boy doesn't bring her much confidence.

It wasn't long until the golden haired girls question was answered as she turns the corner onto Watery Lane and sees a raging fire in the middle of the lane with a crowd of men surrounding. As she gets closer the contents of the fire revel themselves and low and behold are pictures of the king, much like the one Finn snatched from The Garrison, are burning amount the flames.

She sees Finn throw the photo from The Garrison into the fire with a large smile on his face, "Stand back from the fire Finn", she says as she pushes him slightly back, "Stand too close it'll burn your hair right off."

Finn having respect for Elizabeth nods his head and takes a step back before running off again, most likely to get another photo to add to the pile.

     Elizabeth scans her surroundings for any familiar faces, and across the fire she spots the eldest Shelby brother. She walks up to him and gives him a little shoulder nudge, "The hell is this?", she laughs.

     "Hell would I know", Arthur says as he pulls out a bottle of alcohol from his coat, "Ask that Tommy of yours."

     "We both know that won't do much", Elizabeth says honestly and Arthur lets out a grunt in agreement.

     "Well you're better off asking him then me love", he says as he takes a swig, "These days I can't tell what's left and what's right."

"Oh Arty", Elizabeth laughs, "From what I can recall that doesn't seem to be a newly risen issue of yours."

     The bottle appears in front of the golden haired girl, and she looks to see Arthur holding it in front of her. "Well if you're anything like the Liz I remember you'll take a drink of that and get bloody pissed with me."

     Elizabeth let out a laugh as she takes the bottle in front of her and too takes a swig of the mystery alcohol. The days of getting drunk with Arthur and the boys rekindle in her mind, all the memories with endless laughter take over her thoughts. Good times, she remembers. Simple times.

And surely and quickly she found herself light on her feet. She herself even threw a couple photos that John had handed to her into the fire. She found it exhilarating, but she also knew that if William ever caught a glimpse of her he would be furious. To disrespect the king of all people she knew in his eyes would be wrong. But as she thinks of it, she can't conjure what the man is like when upset. They haven't spent enough time together for either of them to even have the time to become angry or upset with one another. To some that might sound like heaven, but to Elizabeth it's just another bar in the prison that's holding her captive.

     "Stare at the fire any longer your eyes will burn", a voice says from beside her.

     Elizabeth look to her left and from the depths of the shadows behind her emerges her ocean eyed boy. "My eyes have had their share of fire Mr. Shelby", she says referring to the large fires that had to be done at the nurses wards during the war, "I think they can handle one more."

     The sound of a match being lit followed by the familiar smell of a freshly lit cigarette fills the air. "I wouldn't settle for just one more Mrs. Flander", he says as he himself stares into the flames.

Elizabeth takes a sharp inhale as she clenched her jaw. She knows that other use that name through respect, while he on the other hand uses it for what seems to be the opposite. So she stays silent as she knows that is the best way to respond to his comment.

"Meet me at the stables, 9 o'clock", he says and before she could respond he had seemingly drifted off back into the shadows.

...

[ Chapter Status: Not Edited ]

...

a/n — thank you guys so so much for 5k+ reads! i hope y'all are enjoying. i'm super busy with school but i'm trying to write as much as i can in my spare time! don't forgot to vote! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.5K 1K 16
angel of small heath? supposedly. devil in disguise? maybe. his lifeline, his everything & soul? definitely. [slow updates] the peaky blinders. thoma...
8K 192 13
When Thomas Shelby's daughter finds her way back home and he finds every way to weaponise her broken heart.
1.1M 29.1K 93
"Realising how fucking beautiful you are suddenly sobered me up" Anna Smith, the girl who was brought up in a tiny village, sheltered naively from al...
49.3K 1.4K 29
An adventurous assassin gets called to Small Heath to kill Thomas Shelby. She soon learns just how much the decision to accept this mission changes...