i did one thing right

By midnightsmylifeline

What if Regina's "The one that got away" is the same person she'll spend the rest of her life with More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17

13

509 46 6
By midnightsmylifeline

So I wasn't expecting Lola and Ding to drop by while I was taking a shower when we got home. I went downstairs and saw Lola carrying Nathan, who had just gotten out of the bath. Regina quickly bathed him because he was also very sweaty and sticky. Ding is on the couch with Ali, playing mobile games. There are at least five different dishes on the table. I'm guessing Lola cooked everything.

"You didn't have to... but thank you very much," Regina says, clutching Lola's arm.

"You'll be gone for a couple of weeks... I'd like to cook something for you before you leave," she explained.

"Thank you," Regina says again, "let's all eat first, then I'll check my luggage one last time before heading to the airport."

"Ding and I will accompany you so that we can send you off and also assist Narda with Nathan on the way back."

"You two are welcome to stay here," Regina says.

"It's too much work for your maids... why don't you give them a vacation while you're away?" Lola suggested.

"I was planning on sending some of them home.. but I think three of them are fine with staying," she explains, prompting Lola to nod. "I'll just change clothes.. Narda, will you please come for a bit?" she asks, holding my arm. We walk upstairs to our room, and she searches the cabinet for something to wear.

"You remembered what I thought you?" she asks, and I nod. She spent the entire week weeks leading to her departure teaching me how to bathe Nathan, change his diapers and clothes, and locate all necessities.

"I feel like I'll just black out once I'm already doing it," I said as I shut the door because she was going to change.

"Call me if you're confused about anything," she said as I walked to the side as she stripped off her clothes to change. I'm gay, and I don't want to die because of that sight.

"Do you have your sleeping pills?" I ask, knowing that she occasionally suffers from insomnia and that she does take sleeping pills.

"Yup," she says. "Narda, are you worried?" she asks.

"With?"

"Looking after Nathan alone"

"Yeah... I'm not sure if I'll do well," I admitted.

To be honest, I have no idea what I'm feeling right now. I'm almost uneasy. Regina just being there and helping me with Nathan may have become routine for me  or even just her presence when I got home from work. Is there much that has changed in the time we've spent together? I honestly don't feel pressured to feel as if I should love her romantically. Regina just doesn't push me to feel things, if she and Nathan are giving me something to feel right now... That is most likely contentment and happiness. I always wonder if I'm being too slow to like Regina romantically, but whenever I open up to Ali, Mara, or Brian, they always say the same thing. I have many years ahead of me to learn more about Regina and fall safely into the feeling of falling in love. I used to like Regina romantically, but that was in high school. I liked her because she is very attractive, but she has one flaw: her attitude. That's why I'll never compare about my infatuation on Regina in high school to how things are currently... You wouldn't marry and claim to be in love just because they're attractive. I'm just grateful to be doing this with someone as understanding as Regina. Since she had already finished getting dressed, I seized the opportunity to turn in her direction when I heard her footsteps.

"I believe you can... if you can handle my hot-tempered ass, you can certainly handle a mini version who is more giggly than I am," she said, making me smile. See? She just knows what to say everytime.

After a brief moment of silence, I heard my phone ring making me look down. There's a call from my colleague. Even if Regina isn't asking, I turn my phone around to show her.

"Colleague," I said before turning it around to answer.

"Sorry for calling on your day off, Narda."

"All good, what's up?" I inquire.  Regina turn to look in the mirror to fix her earrings.

"Our supervisor will meet with one of the bosses for a possible promotion. Supervisor told me to call you because you've been waiting for a promotion for a while. I think they'll give you a big project today, but it's also a strict schedule, so they need you here right away."

"Wait, are you saying right now?" I ask, my gaze drawn to Regina's reflection in the mirror.

"Yeah, they'll be having a meeting to discuss it, and the supervisor wanted you to come here right now so you could take the project," well, that's bad timing.

"Um... do you want the promotion instead? Tell him I'm giving you my spot because I can't go right now."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, go for it, but thanks for telling me," I said.

"No problem, Narda," she says before hanging up the phone. Regina turned around to face me right away.

"Did you pass up a promotion?" she asks, her face filled with concern.

"Yeah, it's fine; I'll get another chance," I said, smiling at her so she wouldn't be worried.

"But Narda, that's important," she said as she approached me, "did you turn it down just to send me off?"

"If I took it, I'd be too busy with the project and wouldn't be able to look after Nathan once you leave," I said, holding both of her arms. "I wouldn't want to keep myself busy with work when Nathan's mom is already away from him."

"Do you want me to speak with your boss?" she asks.

"No, no... don't do that" I wouldn't want to get my promotion through connections. "I'm doing great at work, so I'm pretty sure another slot for promotion will be secured sometime soon," I reassured her.

"But you don't have to spend so much time sending me off," she said, making my brow furrow as I chuckled.

"That'll make me look like a bad wife.. I care about my reputation," I said, making Regina smile a bit. "I have priorities now, so... That comes first, okay? Now let's go eat dinner, lola's food might get cold," I said as I walked out of the room.

We all ate dinner in less than an hour because we still needed to catch Regina's flight. Ding assisted Ali in loading Regina's luggage into the car after we finished eating. Lola is alone with Nathan while I check to see if Regina forgot anything.

"Ate, could you please check on Nathan's room so I can just let him sleep in his crib when we return?" I asked one of the maids. I still feel shy whenever I ask them to do something, but Regina reminded me that it is their duty and they are paid to work anyway.

"Narda, all good? Let's go," Regina says, and I nod and thank the maid before heading out. Lola is in the passenger seat, Ding is in the middle next to Nathan's car seat, and Regina and I are in the back next to each other. Lola just keeps telling Regina to eat and rest a lot throughout the entire car ride. To be honest, I don't think I need to remind her as much because Lola is already doing the job. We were surprised to see Mara and Brian waiting for us at the airport.

When we see them, Brian exclaims, "Boss, good evening!"

"Mara, why do you have baggage?" I ask. She's also very well dressed. I turn to face Regina, and her expression tells me that Mara is going with them, while I'm out her clueless.

"I thought she wasn't going?" I ask as we make our way in.

"I had to bring at least two employees per department for a week in France just so I have an excuse of bringing Mara along," she says as we walk side by side so the others don't hear us.

"Why?"

"You have no idea how many times Mara has come into my office this week just to remind me that she has a passport and is studying French."

"You fell for that? You should've just fired her," I joked, making Regina shake her head and smile.

"I'll miss you guys," Mara said dramatically when we found out where the rest of Regina's employees were. In terms of how many there are, they appear to be on a field trip.

"Don't worry, we won't," Brian says to Mara, making me laugh.

"Bestie, I'll miss you!" she exclaimed as she leaned in for a hug, almost pushing Regina aside. If she isn't careful, she will be left behind.

"Did you tell your husband yet?"

"What husband? I've never met him," she said, making me laugh. I'm not sure if Mara is joking or if she's completely fed up with her husband. "Anyway, I love you bestie.. don't miss me too much. I'll give you a kiss," she said, cupping my face to lean in, but Regina quickly pulled her away. "Right boss, I love you the most. I am just kidding, I would never do that," she said nicely, throwing a piece sign towards Regina. "If you want to kiss her for me, go ahead—"

"Mara, do you want to stay here instead of going to France?" Regina cuts her off. Mara then steps to the side, defenseless, and raises her hand to shut up. Lola turned to face me and handed me Nathan. Surprisingly, he is still awake, but I believe he will fall asleep later in the car.

"Bye bye," I said, taking his little hand in mine and waving it towards Regina.

"My little bean, please be a good boy," Regina says softly. The look of surprise on her employee's face is evident. Regina rarely speaks in this tone. "Mommy loves you," she says with a smile as she leans in to kiss his cheek. She's too close to me, and it's weakening my knees. Please, have mercy, I'm gay. "Mommy will be home soon.. will you not give Mama a hard time? You look after Mama too, okay?" She's referring to me as Nathan's Mama... I want to cry. I turned my head to see Brian, Mara, and Ding on the side, as if they were watching a movie.

"Reg, 5 minutes," Ali says, frustrated that he has to interrupt the moment. Regina simply nodded, her gaze fixed on Nathan. Lola grabs my arm as I pass Nathan towards her after Regina kisses him goodbye.

"Come here," Regina says softly, opening her arms for a hug. I lean in and embrace her.

"Mara, what the fuck are you doing?" Brian asked, causing me to turn my head a little, Ding and Brian were already pulling Mara away.

"I got carried away because I thought it was supposed to be a group hug," she explained, making me laugh. Regina tightens the hug after a few seconds and inhales deeply while lightly tapping my back.

"I'll be right back," she said softly enough for only us to hear.

"I'll wait for you," I said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.5K 768 16
Jane De Leon, a 4th year college student, has an unbreakable bond with her bestfriend, Joshua Garcia; but what if they both found themselves falling...
37.1K 1.9K 54
Your heart was empty, it has been for 15 years and you kept coming back to that same old place you were told to stay. You knew that nobody will come...
1.1K 57 9
After finding love again she finds out her first love is still alive. {read another love first :) }
3.8K 209 11
Debbie ran away from home and tells her story...if there wasn't her love Lou.