12

Regina is flying to France tonight. She attempted to cut some of her work before leaving, but she needed to fix a problem at work, which is why she is working until her last day here.

While Nathan and I are in the lobby, Mara calls out, "Bestie!" Regina is in the conference room with Ali and some of their employees. Regina doesn't mind if I go in with Nathan, but I'm concerned Nathan will have tantrums if he gets bored inside. "Fuck you Narda!" Mara exclaims when I try to avoid her.

"Watch your mouth! There's a kid?" I said, looking at Nathan, who is currently holding my hand after I let him walk earlier.

"As if your mouth was any safer before moving in with them," she retorted as she walked towards the lounge vending machine to purchase a drink.

"I'm literally the nicest of the three of us," I explained.

"I have five arms... Oh, I thought we were lying," she said, making me roll my eyes. "Could you please just buy me a drink?"

"I'm not your girlfriend; why should I buy you a drink?"

"Can I be your mistress? Nathan, do you want a stepmother?" she asks.

"What the fuck? You're disgusting," I exclaimed as I kicked her away.

"Regina!" I jokingly uttered.

"I'm so sorry boss, I wasn't thinking straight; I will never take Narda away from you; please I need the job to feed myself and my useless husband-- I'll cut off your bangs," she said, realizing I was joking when I called Regina's name.

"You're terrified of Regina, aren't you?" I joke.

"Who wouldn't be? Try working in her company and you'll understand our trepidation," she explained.

"So, why are you all still working here?"

"Because we have a huge salary, great incentives, and kind coworkers... the only scary thing is the boss," she explained. Mara then takes a step back and looks at me with her finger in front of her mouth, as if telling me to be quiet. She then rushes up to the vending machine and strikes it like a football player.

"What are you doing? Are you stooping this low? I thought you had a big salary?" I ask as I watch her continue ramming down the vending machine like a lunatic. When I felt a hand on my back, I turned around.

"Regina.."

"Fuck you, Narda! I no longer fall for that damn thing," she yelled, hitting the machine harder, but no drink fell down. Regina's expression is equally perplexed as mine. When Nathan hugs her leg, she looks down but then back up to watch Mara.

"Mara," Ali stated this time.

"Hold on, it's about to fall," she said.

"Do you not have any money with you, or do you simply refuse to spend it?" Regina questioned this time. Mara came to a halt and slowly turned around, her head down. I look at Ali, and we're both trying not to laugh.

"I'll write five pages of apology letter, boss. I'm so sorry. My head has just been all over the place that I do things out of my own will," she said softly.

"Go tell the cafeteria that I asked you to get a drink for me... keep it to yourself," she said before turning around and taking Nathan's hand in hers so they could begin walking.

When Regina walks out, Mara asks, "Is this the so-called miracle?"

"This is called one more chance before Mara is fired," I explained, but she simply ignored me and made her way to the cafeteria. I followed Regina, Ali, and Nathan, shaking my head.