Achilles&Briseis: A Novel

By AvatarAshdel

Briseis of Pedasus is a princess with a dual fate. She is the daughter of an unknown goddess and a king obses... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 20

26 3 20
By AvatarAshdel

The staircase was dark as she descended farther into the depths of the castle. Only light from the torch she held illuminated the space. As nervous as Briseis had been to face Helen, facing Hecuba was worse. At least it was now. Hecuba's position on Helen's status within Troy was abundantly clear. Hecuba certainly wouldn't approve of the long visit Briseis had paid to Helen. That visit was the only reason Briseis could see for a summons such as this. She calmed her nerves as she reached the bottom of the stairs.

A heavy oak door with a brass knocker was only feet away. The door opened before she could knock. "Hector?" she asked uncertain.

"Come in, we've been waiting for you," he said with a slight smile.

Hecuba and several men sat at a table inside the room. Briseis took one of the two available seats, and Hector the other.

"Did you enjoy your visit with that mongrel?" Hecuba asked, her face twisting into an unpleasant expression at the very thought of Helen.

Briseis shook her head. "No, Your Majesty. It was very distasteful."

Hecuba's face turned impassive as if she were stone. "I received a report you spent four hours with the woman. Quite a lengthy visit for it to be so unpleasant." Hecuba's eyes pierced through Briseis.

"I was worried what she would do if I didn't act accordingly to what she wanted. Her display of inhuman power is something I don't want to see or experience again," Briseis told the truth and Hecuba nodded at her words.

"But this visit, it went well? You have Helen's favor now?" Hecuba's eyes narrowed as she waited for the answer.

"I believe so, my Queen."

Hector slammed his fist down on the table. "Good. We want you to help us get this infection out of Troy."

Briseis looked around at each of the people gathered around the table. Some were Hecuba's sons, but another was one of the generals she recognized from the council sessions. One who had argued the loudest that Helen be sent back. Several other men she didn't know also sat around the table. Based on their manner and dress, Briseis believed them to be soldiers. There was one person missing whom she expected to see.

"Deiphobus isn't here? He has a good mind for this type of thing," Briseis said. "Perhaps we should send for him."

"No," said Hecuba with a shake of her head. "I'm afraid there's nobody in Troy more anxious for this war to happen than Deiphobus. If he knew of this meeting he would go to the king. I want to avoid the war, but I just want Helen gone more. I'd poison her if I could, but her death wouldn't prevent war. We must return her to Sparta alive."

"How are we going to do it?" Briseis asked.

🦉

There wasn't much time. Briseis waited at the stables for Helen to appear. The moonlight was the only guide she had to saddle the horses. Helen would likely think too highly of herself to saddle one with her own fingers, and this plan must remain secret, so Briseis had to do it herself. The stable master had been bribed to leave the creatures unguarded for the night.

"Briseis!" Helen's voice hissed from the right.

"Here." She led the beasts out of the stable and crept toward the gate where Helen waited in her hooded cloak. "Let's go. I've already bribed the guards to let us through the gate," Briseis told Helen with a grin.

Helen's eyes shone with excitement. "I can't wait to leave this place. I didn't expect to be cooped up in the palace day in and day out. A swim in the sea was an excellent idea."

"I brought food and wine to refresh ourselves with," Briseis pointed to a large basket tied to the back of her saddle.

"A prefect notion," Helen nodded as she mounted her stead.

"Follow me." Briseis' heart beat wildly. Hopefully the sleeping draft Briseis had given Helen to drug Paris would hold. If he awoke to discover Helen gone too early this entire plan would fail. Deiphobus was set to sail for Greece in three days, and if he should go, Briseis would be stuck in Troy with Helen and her ill temper.

They rode through the gate and took a path out of view of the guards looking down from the ramparts. The moon was still high when they reached the beach. Hector and a crew were on a boat anchored behind a rock in the bay, waiting for Briseis to send the signal.

"This is marvelous," Helen said. "When Paris convinced me to run away with him, I thought my life would be fun. I've had none in the weeks I've been here."

Briseis had gotten sick of Helen's commentary on Paris and all other men. Briseis said something that played to Helen's ego and pulled the basket off the horse. Helen jumped into the water while Briseis sat everything up. Once finished, Briseis looked at the water and decided she might as well jump in since Helen appeared to be staying out. Swimming in the ocean outside Troy's wall was a dream Briseis had since arriving.

No matter how this turned out it was likely going to be her only chance to do so. If the plan failed, she'd stay in Troy only long enough to pass the information Diephobus gathered. If it succeeded she'd be at the mercy of Priam. He couldn't kill her, but he could have her exiled from the city for the rest of her life.

Briseis waded into the water, surprised to find it so warm this time of night, she took a deep breath and submerged herself completely. A small line of bubbles rose from her mouth and nose. The gentle current pulled at her body, it had an odd calming effect on her as it began tugging her slightly out to sea. Briseis let the water take her. She resurfaced for another breath of air. Helen floated several feet away with her eyes closed, enjoying the night. Overhead, the clouds moved away from the moon giving Briseis greater visual range.

    Briseis dove underwater again. The moonlight opened up more of the seafloor to her. She kicked her way down to the bottom of the shallows and raked her fingers through the sand. Colorful coral formed a reef several feet beside her. She took in the small creatures and fish on and around it for as long as she could before swimming back to the surface for air.

    "Briseis!" Helen waved at her from the shore. "Come eat."

    "Let's get this over with," Briseis muttered to herself. She swam back to shore, with every stroke Briseis wished she could stay in the water. But the sooner she knocked Helen out the better for all. "I'll be right there," Briseis called as she stood on the wet sand, wringing out her long dark hair.

    As she was about to walk over to Helen, Briseis felt something gently bump her left foot. She jumped a little, wondering if was one of the red pinching creatures she'd heard about. It was something far more pleasant. A pink and blue scalloped seashell was at her feet. Briseis picked up the small shell, and saw it sparkled with tiny flecks of gold in the light.

    "Briseis!" Helen called from their camp with impatience.

    "I'm coming." Briseis turned the shell over and over in her hands. Helen was saying something but Briseis hardly heard. There was something about the shell that demanded her full attention. Almost as if there was an invisible pull between the fragile castoff of the sea and her mind. She ran her finger along the back of the shell and felt hole. It was just big enough to slip a leather cord or a thin metal chain through to create a necklace. Her finger felt a sting and she pulled it away from the hole. A sharp edge had pierced her finger, drawing a small amount of blood.

    "What holds your gaze so?" Helen asked her as Briseis sat.

    "A shell of the ocean."

    Helen grabbed the shell from her hands without being invited. Irritation bubbled in the Princess of Pedasus, but she pushed it down and let Helen do her examination. There was a hungry glint in the eyes of the Queen of Sparta as she traced the delicate patterns of pink and blue that decorated the surface. "A handsome gift," Helen finally said. "The sea god must favor you." And Helen passed the shell back. "A gift of the gods is not to be taken lightly." There was more than a note of jealousy in her voice, but even Helen knew better than to try and take it from Briseis.

    After some time they'd drunk the wine dry and ate their fill. Briseis felt the drowsiness of the sleep potion, which had been mixed into the wine, start to overtake her. She had consumed far less than Helen, knowing she needed to stay awake long enough to send the signal and take the antidote hidden in a secret compartment of the basket. Finally, Helen closed her eyes and began to snore.

    Briseis summoned an owl, she had three of them standing by on the rocks, and sent it to the boat hidden in the harbor. Briseis' hands shook and her eyes fought to close as she dug for the counter potion. She downed it quickly and sat on the beach with her head on her knees, breathing deeply while she waited for the men to come and take Helen away.

    She felt something bump her side. The seashell was next to her again. Cautiously Briseis picked it up, perhaps Helen was right and this was a gift form the gods. Briseis decided she would keep it with her at all times. Best not to offended the immortals by spurning a gift, though such gifts rarely came without a price.

    "Briseis," Hector rushed to her, "did the counter potion work? Are you well?"

    "Yes," Briseis said as he helped her stand. "I'll be fine soon." A group of men ran up the beach and started to bind Helen with ropes of hemp. "I hope you're able to keep her drugged the entire time."

    "Me too," Hector said, watching his men pick the woman up and haul her to the boat. "What's that in your hands?"

    "Just a shell." She handed the shell to him.

    "It seems more than that. Perhaps Poseidon wants to bless this venture." Hector pulled a leather strap from his neck. On it hung his seal as Prince of Troy, Hector pulled the seal off and placed the shell on the strap. "Wear it always. Gifts shouldn't be spurned." He placed it around her neck.

    Briseis thanked him. Her heart thumped faster as the shell came against her skin. Briseis figured it was an effect of the counter potion and did her best to ignore it. Hector helped her repack everything and saddle the horse.

    "Take care reentering the palace," Hector told her. "The guards have switched watches by now. I had hoped this wouldn't take so long."

    "I'm sorry. Our semi divine blood must have slowed the effects of the potion." It was the only reason she could come up with for the delayed reaction. Helen had consumed enough of the potion to put four strong men to sleep. And Briseis half that as not to raise any suspicion.

    "There's nothing to be done for it." Hector looked back to the boat where his men were rapidly preparing to make sail again. "I must go. I will never be able to repay you this debt, Briseis, but you have my eternal friendship and gratitude. And that of my wife."

    Briseis nodded to him and watched as he ran to join his men. They entered the harbor and she watched for a time as the boat went farther into the water. As she was about to mount the steed to return, a bright light appeared above the boat.

    "HOW DARE YOU DEFY MY WILL!" The light quickly shaped itself into the form of a woman. "I, APHRODITE, HAVE GIVEN HELEN TO BE THE WIFE OF PARIS. YOU DARE TO QUESTION THE WILL OF HEAVEN? HELEN IS TO BE KNOWN AS HELEN OF TROY FROM THIS DAY ON TO THE END OF TIME, SO NONE CAN DOUBT MY WILL AGAIN!" There was a blinding white light and then there was nothing, for Briseis, for Hector, and for the men on the boat. Helen would recall none of the night, much to the relief of the others, but it wasn't the outcome they'd prayed for as Helen would remain in Troy.

    🦉

    "My lady," Briseis felt groggy and heavy. "My lady, please awake!" Kegarta's voice sounded far away. Briseis felt her body shake as her handmaiden tried to awaken her.

    "What happened?" Briseis managed to ask. She opened her eyes to full daylight.

    "You appeared in bed with a flash of light early this morning, just before the dawn. Several others appeared in the soldiers' barracks the same way. They say even Prince Hector materialized in the council chamber before his father and half a dozen nobles."

    Briseis sat up. "What of Helen?"

    "What about her?"

    "Is she still in Troy?" Briseis asked, her voice frantic.

    "Yes," Kegarta said as if her lady had asked if the sky was blue. "She made me serve her this morning at the breakfast table."

    "We failed." Briseis felt her spirit crumble. As she put her head in her hands, something shifted around her neck. She pulled on it to see the strap, and dangling from it, sparkling gold among the swirling pink and blue colors on the surface, was the seashell.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121K 4.9K 56
**NOW PUBLISHED ON AMAZON** #1 in POWERS 5/30/19 #51 in ACTION 2/8/19 #1 in DEMIGODS 3/28/19 #2 in GODS 3/13/19 When Riley is told she is a demigod...
681K 33.1K 15
| A Wattpad Featured Story | Hades was well-cast to rule over the land of the dead. But what if Hades, the fearsome monarch of the Underworld was...
2.5K 162 16
Ariana, Jake, and Brendon are back with a whole new adventure ahead of them. A month after their battle with Dr. Holt, they are finally reunited with...
690 21 32
Adelia Topaz. A legend amongst many demigods, they know her for the Battle of the Labyrinth and the Battle of Manhattan in which she defeated Kronos...