Achilles&Briseis: A Novel

By AvatarAshdel

As Princess and sole heir of the kingdom of Pedasus, Briseis has many duties. One of which she cannot fulfill... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27

Chapter 4

68 3 37
By AvatarAshdel

"There is a matter of delicately we need to discuss. The disappearance of Prince Uriah is causing the fragile health of the Hittite King to deteriorate rapidly. King Baleck sent me a message pleading for our assistance in the search for his son."

Briseis looked up from the figures she was calculating. Her father was sipping wine and gazing at the sunset from her balcony.

"What assistance does he believe we can provide? Prince Uriah has been missing for half a year." And in Briseis humble opinion was no great loss for the Hittites. Prince Uriah used his position and money to drink, throw wild parties and entertain his friends with as many women as he could buy.

"Don't be coy, Briseis. I know you've developed a network of spies to bring you information. The gods know why. I dislike all the sneaking around."  

"I'm not the one doing the sneaking," she reminded her father. "The world is changing. I need that information if we're to stay ahead of the Hittite ploys. I'm not ordering assassins or planning to topple kingdoms, I merely gather information that's useful."      

"What do your agents say of the prince?" Her father asked while taking a seat beside her. Briseus broke some bread and put cheese on it. Briseis found the modest dinner they were taking together peaceful, something that happened too seldom in recent days.

"I have no information besides what everyone already knows. Prince Uriah was last seen at his brother's ascension ceremony. I swear I know nothing more. For King Baleck's sake I hope his son returns before the king passes on."

"You would tell me if you had information wouldn't you?"

"Of course. It's no benefit to me to keep that information to myself." At least at the moment. "The prince probably snuck off with some mistress. As soon as he tires of her I'm sure he'll return. Or perhaps he'll hear rumors of his father's ill health and rush back."

"You sound displeased," Briseus poured himself another goblet of wine.

"The dynamics of the Hittite royal family hold no interest for me."

"You are sour that Prince Nolk asked for your hand again." Briseus poured them some more wine.

That was something of a true statement. Briseis sent Nolk a message after his last proposal directly outlining in the most polite, but clear and firm language, why she was an unacceptable bride. He waited a few months before answering her letter and that answer was to say he didn't care and must have her to wife. To make matters worse, he'd sent that message in the hands of Ambassador Ahimelech so her father once again was playing host to the scum.    

Her distaste for Ambassador Ahimelech aside, even if she had been a ripe marriage prospect she wouldn't be marrying that foreign prince. It wasn't that Nolk was unattractive, cruel, or too old but Briseis couldn't stand him. His vapid conversation, love of exotic wines, and unending attention to his physical appearance set her teeth on edge. If Briseis were to marry him no doubt she'd have an unending headache for fifty years.   

"You're so much like him," the king muttered lowly.

"Who?"

"My brother, Christos," Briseus said fondly. Much like the Hittites, Pedasus had its own lost son. Briseus and Christos were twins, with her father being the firstborn. Providence decreed that Briseus would inherit the kingship and its responsibilities, while Christos was expected to do everything in his power to secure his brother as king.   

From the few stories Briseis heard he'd done just that. Christos had been commander of the army and navy, served on the council for years before being elevated to that position, and was Briseus' closest confidant. He'd possessed a genius mind if rumors were true. Briseis wouldn't know for Christos disappeared not long before she was born.     

Christos had come to Briseus pleading to be allowed leave and once granted he'd never returned. Her father lead the search which lasted three months, but no trace or whisper of his brother was ever found. As an only child the closest thing Briseis had to siblings were the handmaidens who served her while she was growing up. Now those women had families and households of their own. Lavda was the only one who still lived in Pedasus. Briseis missed them all dearly but she wondered if the loss her father had endured of not just a brother, but one he'd been with even before birth, was a hurt that outweighed hers.         

🦉

"More tea, please Kegarta."

"With lemon slices if they're fresh and bring back some food from the kitchens." Vashti added while marking down another name. She glanced at the list and made another mark. "Half the nobles are late on their taxes this year. Assemble the collectors and have them sent out to everyone on this list."   

Briseis took the list taking special note of the name at the top. The last of the servants tidying the chamber left and Briseis excused the guards. Vashti lifted her brow but allowed it. The queen's chambers were uncomfortably warm as the fire roared strong under the mantle. Vashti enjoyed the heat even if it turned everyone else into sweating messes.

"Mother we need to address the matter of Ambassador Ahimelech."

Vashti rolled her eyes. "I care not what tale the palace tongues wag. Your father doesn't even care and I'm not doing anything he isn't."

Briseis ground her teeth but stayed calm outwardly. "A little more discretion will cost you nothing. You may no longer care how your affairs paint your reputation but it doesn't only smear yours. My father doesn't openly flaunt his indiscretions."

Vashti snorted and let down her hair. "Neither your father nor I can produce any heirs. No challenges to your throne will be popping up."

"Can't you choose another consort? Ambassador Ahimelech isn't suitable–"

"Don't lecture me, Briseis! I will take whoever most suits me whenever I like. You'll understand someday when you're trapped in a useless marriage."

Briseis was about to utter a harsh retort when Kegarta and another servant entered with the drinks and food.

"I'll see to these affairs right away," Briseis stormed out of Vashti's chamber. She heard Kegarta utter an apology and hurry after her while Vashti's high clear laugh rang out.

Before she turned over the list to the soldiers who would collect the crown's money, Briseis took a sharp knife and cut off the name at the top.

"Have the stable make my horse ready at dawn," she told Kegarta. 

🦉

The river flowed strong beside them as the princess and handmaiden rode for the countryside. A small selection of guards rode with them. The estate they were heading for was two hours from the city at a moderate pace. Two of the guards pulled a large chest on a cart behind them. The road wasn't as well maintained as it could have been which slowed their progress farther. Briseis didn't mind the slower pace. She had so little reason to travel from the city that any occasion she could get to leave it behind filled her with a sense of freedom.    

A messenger had been sent ahead last night to let Lady Celine know to expect her sometime in the afternoon. Their business would be discussed over dinner and hopefully in a day or two Briseis would return to the palace with the prize she was hoping to claim. The fluttering of the royal banner with her personal sigil made gentle sounds nearly drowned out by the rush of the river beside them.    

"Who is Lady Celine?" Briseis asked of Kegarta.

"Lady Celine is the widow of Lord Xamder once the most profitable wine merchant in the kingdom. She is the daughter of the former Lord of the Rivers who supplies much fish to the kingdom and surrounding countryside."

"Did she and Lord Xamder have any heirs?" Kegarta had to think about it for a moment. It was a trick question for the young girl. As Kegarta was the only maiden in her service she had to memorize a great deal of information that would normally be spread out among her servants. Kegarta not only came to Briseis' service later than average but from a station in life that had not prepared her for such a high position. 

"Yes, one son. He was killed in a hunting accident many years ago."    

"What is Lady Celine's favorite delicacy?"

"Something that requires a great deal of honey I'd say, as we are bringing seven pots of it for a gift." Briseis kept up the inquiry until the group broke for a quick meal. Other travelers along the road stopped and bowed to Briseis as they passed. Briseis and Kegarta were taking a small stroll to stretch their legs. Three guards remained with the traveling cart and horses while two followed behind them at a distance. 

"Princess, look there."

Briseis looked to see where the girl was pointing. An olive tree grew beside the river and on its lowest branch sat an owl. Its yellow keen eyes were striking. Kegarta left the princess' side and slowly stalked closer to the tree.    

"Odd for one to be out in the day," Briseis mused as she smoothed her gown. "Don't get too close, Kegarta. It may be small but it can still injure you with its claws."

"Is it the same type as your sigil?" Kegarta asked as she turned to question Briseis. "Princess your eyes!"

"What about them?" 

"They are shining brighter than I've ever seen them." The girl quickly returned to her side. "Are you feeling well? Are you in pain?"

"No, I'm in perfect health. Are you sure they're shining brighter? Perhaps it's the sun."

Kegarta took the large jeweled pendant from around her neck that marked her as a servant of Briseis. The pendant was inlaid with three pearls forming a triangle with a sapphire in the center. The pendant was round and silver and the back was plain. Briseis flipped over the pendant to the plain side and held it up to her eye. Yellow light lit up the pendant and a portion of Briseis' hand.

With a quizzical look Briseis turned to Kagarta and the yellow glow of her eyes lit up the young girl's skin.  

"What does it mean?" Briseis whispered. As a mark of their semi-divine status all demigods or demigoddesses had yellow glowing eyes. The mark of the heavens was unmistakable. In dark rooms or hallways all one would see of Briseis were two glowing orbs where her eyes were. The mark was bright yes, but it had never been this bright where they lit up objects in broad daylight. It was like her eyes had become jewels which could be seen for miles when the sun caught them at the right angle.

The owl let out a loud screech which made both women jump. They watched as the owl took flight and quickly disappeared. Briseis turned her attention back to the pendant and to add to her confusion, the light from her eyes seemed to be fading. 

"Kegarta look at me," she ordered.

"Your eyes have returned to their natural state," the girl gulped. "Princess." Kegarta pointed once more to the tree. Briseis was astonished to see the tree was now heavy laden with olives ripe for picking when it had been bare just moments before. 

"Kegarta, we must bow. We have been in the presence of a god." As they bowed she heard the soft clunk of armor and leather as the guards behind followed suit. "Bring the other guards here along with our things." Briseis told the two behind them after a respectful silence. "We must offer a sacrifice and then we shall collect from the tree the gifts the god has left us."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

275 50 16
Katie hasn't been home in far too many years to count. She left, vowing never to return. Her lover for her sister is what brings her back to small...
467K 15.9K 32
A retelling of the Hades and Persephone myth, a story of fate, the struggle for power, and love found in the most unexpected places. ...
216K 4.7K 30
When a Princess Warrior meets Greek's mightiest warrior. What if they fall inlove with each other? What would happen to Troy? *Highest rank: number 1...
Displaced By

Paranormal

5 0 3
For centuries Persephone lived in the Underworld with Hades. She finally escaped but it caused the displacement of Greek Gods and Goddesses to Earth...