The Leap [✔]

By midnightpainter

Emma Taylor's summer wasn't filled with parties or beaches as she'd hoped. Instead life slams her into a dark... More

Authors Note
Cheat Sheet: The Taylor Household
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Changes
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty (Austin's POV)
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-six
Glimpse 1: Move In Day
Glimpse 2: Wedding Bells
Glimpse #3: Surprises Come In Twos

Chapter Sixteen

15.9K 461 92
By midnightpainter

Chapter Sixteen

Why can't you see

my judgement is good,

I'm not stupid

I'm not a fool.

So if -when- I get hurt

its not your fault

its life's works-

my heart will be broke

but it'll mend

I have faith

so, why don't you?

The next few days are a blur of tension. My parents still don't know about Friday night at the dance, and my brothers haven't said anything either. That's one thing we won't do; rat each other out. Well unless it's something serious like drugs or gang related, or something along the lines like that.

On Sunday morning, they still haven't found out what had happened and I'm okay with that. I know I should come clean, but I just can't find the nerves to tell them. After I get up, I journey down stairs, once again, pain sprouting in my chest. By the time I reach the bottom step, its gone again. Only Jude, Logan, and Joey are down in the living room and kitchen. Mom is in the shower and Dad went to work with Owen.

The twins have out with friends, and I haven't see Quinn all weekend. Who knows what he's doing.

"Hey there scrapper," Logan says, smirking. He earns a glare from me and a high five from Jude. Joey only looks confused. I open the cupboard, taking out a granola bar from it's wrapper, ignoring my instigating brothers.

"So, did you tell Mom and Dad yet?" Logan asks.

I turn and face him, wanting to ask him if he told anyone about Cassie yet. But I don't  because that would only start an argument.

"No," I mumble, making Logan laugh. I want to slap him up side the head. Logan does't say anything more because my mom comes down the stairs, dressed in a blue blouse and black dress pants.

"Where are you going?" I wonder, not remembering if any of us had an appointment or special events.

"Well, I have a meeting this morning. Then The Price's are coming over for supper. Did you forget about that?" She asks, while gathering the keys and her purse of the table.

"Sorta," I say, sighing. I'm not really all that excited to have a member of Carla's posse in my house, especially after what happened at the dance. Who knows what her real motive are, other than coming over for supper with her family. She could be digging up dirt for Carla, hiding cameras to spy on my brothers.

"Mommy, who's taking me to Bella's?" Joey whines. "I am not not going to Bella's. Did you forget mother?" Joey says, as if he is ten years older. My mom looks at him, realization forming in her eyes. 

She forgot.

"I'll drive him Mom. Don't worry about it," I offer, knowing I'll get the chance to see Austin. My Mom smiles gratefully, but my brothers scoff, not agreeing with the idea.

"Wait, isn't Bella Austin's sister?" Logan wonders, looking at me. I nod slowly, Jude standing up. Mom is smiling slightly as she helps Joey get ready to go.

"Mom, you can't her go alone. They won't have any supervision. What if they..." Jude trails off, his face reddening. Logan looks like he wants to throw up. 

Joey comes over to stand by me, taking my hand in his.

"Don't worry. I'll look after her," Joey chirps. My mom and I burst into laughter. Jude and Logan smile too, but they still look worried about what will happen when Austin and I get together.

"Oh, Joe, you are too adorable. You look after you sister, alright? Did you get all your stuff to take to Bella's?" Joey nods and my mom pinches Joey's cheeks on her way out the door. Before she leaves, she turns back around to face us. "Jude, since you're going to be here all day, give Emma your car keys."

"Wouldn't it make more sense for me to just drive Joey then?" Jude asks, reluctant to end the conversation. "That way, she won't have to go at all." 

I look at him incredulously. My mom gives him a pointed look, the look that means business.

She leaves, not leaving any room for arguments.

"Fine. Take my keys. If you crash my car, don't bother coming home," He snaps. What the hell is wrong with him?

"Don't worry, I won't," I snap back, grabbing the keys from his hands, taking Joey's hand.

"Maybe we should have told Mom about what happened at school, bet she wouldn't let you go then," Logan says, a sly grin on his face. I flip him off and leave, wanting to punch them both. Joey and I leave the house. 

I help my littlest brother into the back seat, buckling him into his green UFO car seat. 

"Do they drive you crazy sometimes?" Joey asks once we're on the road. I look back in the mirror and smile.

"Sometimes. They can be some over-protective, they always think they know everything," I say and get into the drivers seat. Joey nods as if he knows what I'm saying. I turn left about ten minutes to Austin's.

"I know everything. Well not everything, but a lot of stuff," Joey says proudly.  I raise my eyebrows at him.

"Oh yeah? Like what?"

"I know that you like Austin, and Austin likes you," He says, grinning. I blush a little.

"And I know that Jude and Logan are only upset because they are scared you will get hurt," Joey shrugs. "But I know you aren't stupid, so you won't get pregnant or anything. I trust your judgement on guys." I can't help but laugh at what he just said.

Who knew I would be having this conversation with my five year old brother?

"I wish our older brothers shared the same wisdom you have Joe."

"Eh, what can you do? They can be idiots,"  he says with a shrug of his shoulder. I laugh even harder, so much I'm almost crying. I quickly get a hold of myself, because I don't want to put us in the ditch.

"True." 

After a few moments, I decide to ask Joey about the bully he had been dealing with. "So, how's school going?" Joey takes a minute to answer, picking at his nails.

"You know that kid that was bullying me? Well he started picking on Bella, and I couldn't stand it...so, I kinda hit him." At first, I don't think I hear him right, but then by the look on his face, I know I did. I have no idea what to say. If I tell him he shouldn't have done it, I would be a hypocrite because I did the same.

"Well, you shouldn't ever hit anyone, Joey. Even if they make you mad."

"Alright. But I won't let him hurt Bella," Joey says, his words sincere. We pull into Austin's driveway, and I help my little brother from the back.

"You do whatever you need to to protect her then," I say, laughing, and pat him on the head.

Together we walk into the white, two story house. On the front of the house is a porch, and flowers surrounding the property. I have never been inside, only outside. 

Joey runs up the steps, knocking on the door.

The door swings open, revealing Bella who is grinning as she sees Joey. Then she catches sight of me, and her face brightens even more. If thats even possible.

"Emma!" She squeals loudly, hugging my waist. I hug her back for a second, until Diane, Austin and Bella's Mom, comes to the door. She has blonde hair and green eyes, similar to Austin's. 

"Why don't you two come in? Bella, I set out some cookies and milk for you and Joey." She tells them, and they run off. She smiles at me, standing back so I can walk in.

"Emma, how are you darling?" She leads me down a hallway off the main entrance, which narrows into a kitchen. Across from the kitchen is the living room. And between the two spaces is a narrow staircase. In the living room, Joey and Bella sit on the couch, watching Disney channel while munching on cookies.

"Good as I can be." I smile, looking around their house. Diane is at the stove, cooking. It smells so good. "What are you cooking? It smells delicious." Diane turns around, smiling.

"It's just an old recipe my Dad taught me before he passed. We call it Surprise."

"Should I ask what's in it?" I laugh, not sure if I want to know. Diane chuckles.

"No, it would be wise if you didn't. The ingredients might make you not want to try it."

Without warning, arms encircle my waist, and I look up to see Austin standing over me. He grins down, squeezing me tightly in a hug.

"Hey, ten feet away at all times!" Joey calls from the living room. Austin laughs, letting go anyway. I narrow my eyes at Joey.

"That's the rules Jude and Logan gave me."

"You just said they were idiots minutes ago," I say, sighing.

 Austin laughs beside me.

"I know. But just to be safe," 

I shake my head in amazement, not believing what that kid just said. I turn back to Austin, who is grinning.

"Alright, I'm off to work. Lunch is all ready. I'll see you tonight," Diane tells Austin, taking off her apron. I notice she is wearing scrubs underneath. "It was nice seeing you Emma. I have a feeling I'll be seeing more of you." She winks, and my cheeks warmed.

"Mom!" Austin hisses, but he doesn't say anything more. Diane kisses Bella on the cheek, waving as she leaves for work. "So, are you staying for a while?"

"Sure, why not. I mean, if you want my company," I tease.

"I don't know if I could go without your company."

***

If you don't understand the poem, it's written to Emma's brothers in her POV about how they don't trust her relationship with Austin because they are afraid of her getting hurt but she has faith that Austin won't break her heart....or will he?

Thanks for reading!

Vote and comment!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.8K 410 16
A relatively comfortable life for (Name). She has a little brother, Jake, that she loves dearly, and a mother and father that she adores when they're...
10.9M 241K 66
#2 In Romance |May 1,2019| #1 In Teen Fiction |May 18,2019| ONLY AND ORIGINAL BOOK!!!! "What are we going to tell your brother?" He says, his breath...
12.6M 439K 61
The spark between Faye and her best friend's hot older brother, Miles, threatens to upend everything in her normal, stable life. ...
3.2K 198 23
**THE ORIGINAL EMMALINE - BUT WATTPAD TOOK IT DOWN AND REMOVED MY ACCOUNT ** Emmaline Black is no stranger to abuse, or to torture of any kind from h...