Ascending Towards the Sun

By ShonuaSDK

After being reborn Hua Ying was granted his wish, not remembering Lan Zhan, for thirteen years he remained aw... More

Chapter One Ascension
Chapter Two Once again pulled in
Chapter Three Back at Dafan Mountain
Chapter Four The Dancing fairy
Chapter Five Cloud Recesses
Chapter Six The demonic Arm
Chapter Seven Xinglu Ridge
Chapter Eight The Demonic Legs
Chapter Nine The story of Xiao XingChen
Chapter 11 The truth comes to Light
Chapter Twelve Coffin City
Chapter thirteen Mannequin home
Chapter Fourteen Xue yang's Betrayal
Chapter Fifteen The true Form of the Demon Ghost Supreme
Chapter Sixteen Parting of Ways
Chapter Seventeen The headless corpse
Chapter Eighteen Secrets revealed
Chapter Nineteen Memories of MingJue
Chapter 20 Death of Mo Xuanyu
Chapter Twenty-One This Promise I Make
Chapter Twenty-Two A Chance to say Goodbye
Chapter Twenty-Three The truth at Lotus Pier
Chapter Twenty-Four A part of me is within you
Chapter Twenty-Five Guanyin Temple
Chapter Twenty-Six The unexpected twist in the truth
Hi there, Just another Notice

Chapter Ten The Demonic torso

272 20 0
By ShonuaSDK

They had already walked past the Chang Residence, toward a cemetery nearby. Hua Ying saw the dark-red character of "Chang" on the pailou

Then, why did Chang Ping die afterward? Who killed the remaining members of his clan? Asked Hua Ying

Before Lan Zhan could answer, a series of bangs came from amid the blue-tinted dusk. The noise sounded a lot like slamming on doors, but it wasn't. The bangs were carried out with force and at a fast pace, without a moment of rest. They sounded somewhat muffled, as if there was something separating them from the outside world.

Their faces immediately changed. The fifty-or-so people of the Yueyang Chang Sect were currently lying in their coffins, slamming on their coffin lids from the inside. It was at night they were frightened to death, they madly slammed on the doors, but there wasn't anyone to let them out. This was the slamming on coffins in the Chang Clan's cemetery that the liquor shop's waiter talked about! However, the waiter said that the haunting was ten years ago and stopped long before now. Why would the slamming happen to start again when they came? Without passing any words between them, Hua Ying and Lan Zhan both softened their breathing, stealthily moving without making a sound. Propping themselves against the pillars of the pailou, they both saw that, in the center of the cemetery, there was a hole amid the tombstones.

It was a deep, recently created hole with piles of dirt surrounding it. Faint noises came from within the hole. Someone was digging out a grave. The two of them held their breaths, attentively waiting for the person in the hole to come out on their own. Before an hour passed, two people hopped up from inside the opened grave. Hua Ying and Lan Zhan could tell that these were two people only because they had good vision. These two appeared as if they were conjoined twins. One carrying the other on their back, they were tightly connected together. With both of them wearing entirely black clothes, it was extremely hard to tell the two apart. The person that hopped up had long legs and long arms, standing with his back toward them. The one that he carried seemed lifeless, their head and limbs hanging down. This was only natural. Since the person was dug out from a grave, then it must have been dead. Lifeless was what should've been expected of it. As he thought, the gravedigger suddenly spun around and saw them.

There was a mass of thick, black mist over the man's face, making it so that nobody could see how their face and features looked! Hua Ying knew that he must have casted some sort of spell that he had created to block his face. Lan Zhan had already unsheathed Bichen, darted into the cemetery, and started the fight. The gravedigger's reaction was extremely quick. Seeing the attack of Bichen's blue sword glare, he made a hand seal and also summoned a sword glare. The sword glare was the same as his face, surrounded by dense mist, and made it so that it was impossible to see what its color and style was, that was to Hua Ying something new and he had not created that but as he looked, he thought that it was very clever. With a corpse on his back, the gravedigger fought in a strange way. The two sword glares clashed a few times. Lan Zhan summoned Bichen back and held it in his hand, a layer of frost climbing over his face.

Hua Ying knew why his face suddenly turned cold. It was because, during the fight, even an outsider like him could tell that the gravedigger was extremely familiar with Lan WangJi's sword moves! Lan Zhan said nothing. Bichen's attacks were deeper and deeper, attacking with tremendous force. The gravedigger fell back a few times. As if he knew that, with a dead person on his back, he wouldn't be able to win against Lan Zhan and, if they continued to fight, he'd be captured alive, he suddenly fished out a dark-blue talisman from his waist.

A Transportation Talisman!

This type of talisman could instantly transport someone to hundreds of miles away, but it also expended a great amount of spiritual energy. It would take a long time for the user to regain their energy. Those with spiritual energy that wasn't powerful enough wouldn't be able to use them. Thus, although they were of very high quality, it was rare for anybody to use them. Seeing that he was about to escape, Hua Ying hurriedly clapped twice, got down on one knee, and slammed his fist on the ground. The strength of his punch passed through layers of dirt, reached the depths of the soil, and penetrated the thick coffin lids, provoking the corpses trapped inside. With crackling noises, four bloodied arms shot up from the ground, grabbing both of the gravedigger's legs! The gravedigger seemed as if he didn't care at all. He poured his spiritual energy toward the bottom of his legs, blasting the four corpse hands away. Hua Ying pulled out his bamboo flute. A shrill, piercing melody ripped open the curtain of darkness that had fallen. Two human heads emerged from the ground along with their bodies, climbing upward from the gravedigger's legs and winding around his body as if they were snakes. Opening their mouths, they prepared to bite down at his neck and arms.

The gravedigger snorted with disdain, as if he was saying "what a petty trick" and sent spiritual energy throughout his body. Yet, this time, only after he released his energy did, he realize that he had been fooled. He sent the corpse that he carried on his back flying off as well!

Hua Ying laughed uncontrollably as he smacked the tombstone, while Lan Zhan caught the flaccid corpse with one hand and attacked with Bichen using the other. Seeing that what he had just dug out had been snatched away, that he couldn't even win solo against Lan Zhan, let alone the mischief of another person, he didn't dare to stay any longer. He hurled the Transportation Talisman on the ground. After a loud noise, blue flames surged up toward his sky. His figure disappeared into the fire.

Hua Ying knew that the gravedigger had a Transportation Talisman on him, which meant that, even if they caught him, he could find an opportunity to escape. The corpse that he dug out was already a clue, so he didn't have any regrets. He walked over to Lan Zhan.

You know I actually took that transportation talisman and made it so that even someone like Nie Huaisang could use, luckily, I gave the scroll to A-Sang otherwise we wouldn't have that clue, now let's see who he dug out. Said Hua Ying smiling as his wraith butterflies came out and gave them more than enough light.

As he glanced at it, he was somewhat surprised. The head of the corpse had already been split open. From within the cut, there wasn't any blood or brains leaking out, but wads of blackened cotton. Hua Ying easily jerked the corpse's head off. With the delicately crafted dummy head.

What is this supposed to mean? There's a fake corpse made of cotton and rags buried in the Chang Clan's cemetery. Huffed Hua Ying

Having had weighed the corpse in his hands when he took it, Lan Zhan knew what was wrong, 

not all of it is fake. He said as he cleared the fake arms and legs off the torso.

It looks like that the person who hid the corpse already noticed that we're investigating the issue and came to transfer the torso somewhere else in case we find it. To come early isn't as good as to come in time. We just happened to bump into him, but why was the mist-faced gravedigger so familiar with your sect's sword style? Asked Hua Ying

It was obvious that Lan Zhan was also thinking about this matter, the coldness on his face yet to fade.

His cultivation is quite high, enough to support the energy used for one Transportation Talisman. He casted spells on both his face and sword. It's understandable that he casted a spell on his face, after all, he wouldn't have wanted to be seen. But lesser-known cultivators wouldn't have needed to cast a spell on their sword to cover it, unless, of course, it was either somewhat or very famous in the cultivation world. He'd then have had to cover it, because if everyone could recognize his sword glare, his identity would be revealed as soon as his sword was revealed. Thought Hua Ying. 

Lan Zhan from your fight before, do you think that he's someone you know really well? Asked Hua Ying

No. Unfortunately I do not said Lan Zhan as he put the torso into another double-layered Qiankun Pouch and put it away properly.

Hua Ying sits in his lotus position and in the slight darkness he calmed the irritated spirit he gathered up the souls that were trapped and led them into Diyu on to a new life, a new life that was full not cut half as this was. Once done he got up and dusted himself off then he turned to see Lan Zhan stare at him.

What's wrong asked Hua Ying, did I miss a spot?

No but what did you just do? Asked Lan Zhan

Wait you saw that? Them? Asked Hua Ying

Mn replied Lan Zhan

Sighing, I released the trapped souls and granted them a new life, they first need to pass through the Diyu for cleansing though said Hua Ying why?

You shifted between male and female as the souls lifted into the air said Lan Zhan

Yes, that happens a lot smiled Hua Ying as he started walking out the graveyard, it drains me but at the end of the day it is worth it.

The two walked around for a while and wandered back to the street of the liquor shop. The young waiter was true to his words. Most of the other liquor shops on this street had closed already, but their banner was still up and their lights were still on. The waiter was outside, eating from a large bowl. Seeing them, he beamed.

You're back! We kept our word, didn't we? Did you two see anything? Asked the waiter

The banging never came from the house it came from the graveyard, Hua Ying laughed but it shouldn't happen again said Hua Ying as Lan Zhan walked back to the same table they had occupied earlier and at down.

With liquor jars crowding on the table and by his feet, Right, what were we talking about? Oh, that right, I still don't know how Chang Ping died. Said Hua Ying as he took a jar sat down and drank.

Xue Yang, Xiao XingChen, and Song Lang left one by one. Some disappearing, some passing away. Quite a few years after the incident passed, one day, Chang Ping and the remainder of his clan's members died overnight due to lingchi. Moreover, Chang Ping's eyes were dug out. This time, nobody could find out who the murderer was. After all, everyone apart of it had vanished. However, there was one thing that could be determined. From the wounds, it could be verified that the sword that was used to lingchi them had been Xiao XingChen's sword, Shuanghua.

The bowl of liquor that Hua Ying was holding stopped in front of his mouth. His face darkened by this turn of events, He was lingchi-ed by Xiao XingChen's sword? Then was he the one who did it? Asked Hua Ying

Xiao XingChen had disappeared. There was no conclusive evidence. Said Lan Zhan

Knowing the training that my grandmother has given and from learning what my uncle was like from the words and actions so to speak. He would never do something so horrible, growled Hua Ying. Did anyone try enquiry?

Yes. Nothing was found. Said Lan Zhan

Things like enquiry, you can't rely on them too much. Time, place, and person all play a part in it, so of course it sometimes goes wrong. I mean look for thirteen years they tried finding me and I am right here said Hua Ying. I'm guessing that a lot of people think that it was Xiao XingChen's revenge? Second master Lan, what about you? What do you think?

One should not comment without understanding the whole picture. Said Lan Zhan

I am glad to hear that said Hua Ying grinning as he drank another gulp.

What about you? Asked Lan Zhan

I believe someone set him up, I also believe he never went to my grandmother instead he took his own eyes out, like I said my grandmother doesn't train people with evil in their heart and to pull your own eyes out could only be done if your either owe a debt or you love that person and with my uncle, I believe it's the second and not the first said Hua Ying

The waiter chose at that moment to eagerly bring over two dishes of peanuts. Second master Lan, why the look? I am just speaking the truth based on what you've said and knowing my grandmother, why my uncle disappeared if he is alive or dead none of us know but I am sure going to find out, no one in this world can hide from me, if I want to find you, I will find you. I have a network just as A-Sang does said Hua Ying. I only ordered five jars, but you bought five more jars for me, so I'm afraid I won't be able to finish all of them by myself. How about if you drink with me? This isn't the Cloud Recesses, so it doesn't violate anything, right? Asked Hua Ying as he changed the subject

I will drink. Said Lan Zhan

Second master Lan, you really have changed. Before, I drank a tiny jar in front of you, and you got so mad. You even tried attacking me. Now, though, you're hiding jars of Emperor's Smile in your room and secretly drinking. Smiled Hua Ying sincerely

Fixing his collars, I did not touch any jar of Emperor's Smile. Said Lan Zhan in a calm voice

Why did you hide them if you're not drinking anything? Who are you saving them for? Fine, fine. You didn't touch them. I'll believe you, okay? Let's talk about something else. Come. I really need to see just how many cups it would take to make an abstinent disciple of the Gusu Lan Sect drunk. Smiled Hua Ying as he poured a bowl for Lan Zhan

Lan Zhan took the bowl and drank it in one gulp Hua Ying was unusually excited, staring at his face to see when it would turn red. Yet even after he stared for a while, neither Lan Zhan's face color nor expression changed, staring at him calmly with light-colored eyes. There wasn't any change at all! Hua Ying was extremely disappointed. As he was about to urge him for another jar, suddenly, Lan Zhan frowned and lightly rubbed at between his brows. After a few moments, with a hand supporting his forehead, he closed his eyes.

Are you serious... he fell asleep said Hua Ying shocked as he poked Lan Zhan face to make sure he was seeing properly, Lan Zhan you skipped all the steps and just fell asleep laughed Hua Ying

Alright said Hua Ying as he twirled the ring around his finger. A-Ying?

Yin Yu, hello smiled Hua Ying, I need your help as he pointed to the drunken Lan Zhan

What have you done? asked Yin Yu

Could you at least take off the mask so that I can see that incredible smirk, where is mother and father? Asked Hua Ying as Yin Yu took his mask off

They are outside waiting said Ying Yu

Alright I will explain outside grinned Hua Ying as smirked and walked out leaving Yin Yu to pick up the drunken Lan Zhan

Walking outside he spotted his parents and ran over and hugged them, they returned the hug and looked up as Ying Yu carried his drunken person

A-Ying, what have you done? asked Xie Lian

Nothing I swear, I asked if he could drink with me and he took one bowl and fell asleep, mommy he fell asleep, there was no before. Extremely disappointing said Hua Ying in mock sadness

Little demon, you sure are something laughed Hua Cheng

Let's go I need to find an Inn to place him in then we can speak said Hua Ying as he wrapped his arms around his parent's waists and walked towards the inn, after asking the clerk for two room, his father paid, and Ying Yu bought Lan Zhan up.

Yin Yu, hand him over, please go get some nectar and bring me some fruit and ask uncle for the concoction that spikes my spiritual essence please asked Hua Ying

Yin Yu gave Lan Zhan to Hua Ying and went off, Hua Ying walked over placed Lan Zhan on the bed removed his outer robe and shoes then placed him under the blankets.

I will deal with you later so you don't suffer tomorrow morning, right now I have my parents to go to, I will be in the next room said Hua Ying as he placed a kiss on Lan Zhan's forehead and left.

A-Ying are you alright? You look drained said Xie Lian

I am drained mommy that's why I sent Yin Yu to fetch me some things, can you please connect us to grandmother asked Hua Ying

Xie Lian did as Hua Ying had asked and opened a private communication array

Grandma, has uncle being to you yet?

No why what is happening?

A lot is happening, but I need to know if he is alive.

Xiao XingChen hadn't been home since he left, A-Ying, tell me what's happening.

Hua Ying then explained to all three of them that he had found out and both his parents was shocked.

A-Ying, I beg you proceed with caution something does not feel right here.

I know this but now knowing that they have a working amulet I need to destroy it, it's a danger even if it is weak.

Alright I will let your sister know to see you soon, love you A-Ying be safe

Cutting off the communication array, Hua Cheng turned to his son what you need from us little demon

Ask around and let me know please said Hua Ying

A-Ying, here are the things that you requested, Wang Fang said that you are to pace yourself it is stronger than before said Yin Yu

He changed again? How many more times asked Hua Ying

As many times as necessary A-Ying, when will you be home asked Xie Lian

Mommy as soon as I am able, now that Lan Zhan is involved, I can't just do things my way and I can't just scatter home either, he will try following me the next time I try said Hua Ying down casted

Is it because you don't want him to know or because he will forget asked Xie Lian

It's both, I was happy before believing it was just a dream said Hua Ying

Little demon you spend all your time either in the heavenly court or in the den or in your workshop or in Yuandao or in the brothel by Jian Lan or in the demon realm or in the heavens and every time you come home or out your room you end up in the same section of your library every day, hell even when you wake up you end up there, then you shout and we consoled you and then you go about your day, that is not happy said Hua Cheng

It was fine, I don't want to feel anything, I don't want to feel my love for him, I don't want to feel my heart trying to mend itself and I don't want to feel like I missed opportunities said Hua Ying

Son, you are going to feel all this until the misunderstanding can be cleared said Xie Lian

There is no misunderstanding! He sealed himself, he chose that path instead of asking for help sure the heavens couldn't do anything, but the ghosts would've, the celestials would've, I would've. It would be enough to protect everyone, I wouldn't have had to die if they knew who I was instead the Jin sect would've lived in terror and then my uncle wouldn't had to die my aunt, Shijie, and they would not have had made the seal again. I would not have had to hide now and still be called Wei Ying and hear how my mortal name is still being affiliated with death and destruction cried Hua Ying

Alright calm yourself little demon, tell me do you know who started it all? Asked Hua Cheng

A-Sang replied Hua Ying, he was the one to give A-Yu the incantation and he was the one that planted the arm that led us in this chase said Hua Ying

Why? Asked Xie Lian

Mingjue is dead! He died from Qi Deviation, replied Hua Ying and now his body is missing

Mingjue dead?! But he was supposed to descend. Where is his spirit? Asked Yin Yu

That's the thing even I do not know, and he bought me out of hiding just for that said Hua Ying.

A-Ying being so close to part of your core, has it been affecting you? Asked Xie Lian

It has, I have a curse mark that I transferred from Shijie's child onto myself it normally wouldn't be a problem but now it's healing too slow for my liking said Hua Ying

Let me see said Hua Cheng as Hua Ying brought down his pants to show his father the lightened curse mark, I can take it from you and destroy it he said.

Please. I do not need this hindering me now as well. Oh, and Lan Zhan knows the truth said Hua Ying

Truth about? Asked Xie Lian

The attack that led to the death of Jin Zixuan and at the night-Less city said Hua Ying

Then what about koi tower? Asked Yin Yu

I never asked I didn't even bother asking why he has thirty or more whip marks on his back or the Wen sect seal on the exact same place I had my seal before it healed growled Hua Ying through the pain

Alright A-Ying we understand, you don't want to be close to him nor do you not want to get close to him in fear of being hurt again. Said Xie Lian

It is not that mommy, it is that but think about the pain of the voices in my head a had to endure, that's how it feels every time I am hurt by him said Hua Ying

I understand, maybe this time is different? Said Xie Lian hopefully

Did you forget the part where I get betrayed by my soulmate? Asked Hua Ying

How... how did you know? asked Xie Lian

Mei Nianqing has foresight remember. He told me himself and when he came to, he regretted it said Hua Ying I'm not angry don't get me wrong there are certain things a parent will never be able to tell a child and protect them as well as they can even, he started avoiding me and only saw me long enough to give me my tasks and have tea.

I'm sorry A-Ying, truly I am said Xie Lian guiltily

Don't be I'm not everything happens for a reason even if my fate is dull and bleak and full of darkness, fate has also been playing her part to try and counter the curse that I am under said Hua Ying she feels just as bad that she could not protect me nor can she tell me.

Once it will end and you will have a happy story, and all this will fade into the darkness itself said Hua Cheng as he pulled up his son's pants over the now clean skin

I don't want it to fade, like mother had his lessons I too will carry mine and an immortal's memories are longer than my half immortal life right now. I will always remember said Hua Ying with a smile.

As long as you remember that we are here no matter what said Xie Lian

Mother, I am loved. I am cherished. But most of all I make my own happiness said Hua Ying as he gave Xie Lian a hug

Alright we need to get going follow the instructions I can tell you now, he has worked around your alcohol consumption and eat the fruit said Xie Lian Hugging his son back

You make it sound like I have a problem grinned Hua Ying

Little demon, ghosts drink heaven's do not said Hua Cheng as he hugged his son

Who said the goddess of the sun isn't allowed to drink like a man? Show him to me and I will drink him to death laughed Hua Ying as he hugged his father in return

Pei Ming said so and you have already placed him in an alcoholic stupor a couple of times replied to Yin Yu

Then I might as well drown him in a barrel when I see him grinned Hua Ying.

Hua Lee Ying, I need that god otherwise little Pei must take over again and you know how stoic he is cried Xie Lian

Mother I will be home then and will take over his duties before little Pei can and anyway little Pei runs from me now smiled Hua Ying

I still would like to know why said Xie Lian

Ask uncle Pei said Hua Ying laughing

Oh, this has got to be good, grinned Hua Cheng

Oh, daddy you have no idea said Hua Ying

Xie Lian drew the short distancing array and stepped into it along with Hua Cheng and Yin Yu leaving Hua Ying alone, he rubbed the wall clean of the chalk marks and was about to sit down but someone had already taken his place.

Well as I live and breathe Le' Fray finally decided to grace me with her presence grinned Hua Ying as he went over and hugged her.

I'm sorry A-Ying, it's just mother passed away and then I had to take over the clan and fight for my throne, you know how it goes said Le' Fray

I am sorry for your loss A-Frayer and I do know said Hua Ying

A-Ying my statement I just made was from years ago...Why do I smell sandalwood on you asked Le 'Fray

Because Lan Zhan is in the next room drunk and sleeping grinned Hua Ying

You got him drunk? She asked shocked

Yes, I did said Hua Ying

I came because your sister is worried said Le'Fray but it looks like you are taking care of yourself this time.

This time I will, last time was a mess and I grew from the experience, sorry I forgot said Hua Ying

I am glad you have, now that I have seen you, I am to give you this, the water will help restore the energy you lost and no migraine, now I can go smack Hua Tianshi for worrying me and tell her you're fine then go back to my kingdom said Le' Fray

Thank you A-Frayer, this means a lot, sister is afraid of being buried so bury her in frozen water said Hua Ying smiling

Let me see you drink it before I leave growled A-Frayer and here it's a coin to let me know when you are in need I will come, she said as Hua Ying drank the water and as he picked up the coin it disappeared under his palm, he looked up and gave her a dark look. It is for the best she smiled sadly then threw her coin and left. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.3K 1.5K 15
Wei Ying,along with the Jiang clan have been invited to cloud recesses for lessons,where the young Wei meets Lan Zhan. Wei Ying was mistreated by hi...
115K 8K 29
[First place winner Eunoia Awards WangXian category July 2021] After being apart for years, Lan Zhan and Wei Ying are reunited, finally starting thei...
1.6M 68.5K 182
Lan Wangji felt tingles and happiness when he first saw the soulmark on his wrist. He was finally going to find his soulmate, he was going to find hi...
47.6K 3.6K 12
A short story! "WEI YING!!!" I shouted the moment he shrugged my hand off. I tried! I tried my best to grab him! I would never let him go! But in the...