Ascending Towards the Sun

By ShonuaSDK

After being reborn Hua Ying was granted his wish, not remembering Lan Zhan, for thirteen years he remained aw... More

Chapter One Ascension
Chapter Two Once again pulled in
Chapter Three Back at Dafan Mountain
Chapter Four The Dancing fairy
Chapter Five Cloud Recesses
Chapter Six The demonic Arm
Chapter Eight The Demonic Legs
Chapter Nine The story of Xiao XingChen
Chapter Ten The Demonic torso
Chapter 11 The truth comes to Light
Chapter Twelve Coffin City
Chapter thirteen Mannequin home
Chapter Fourteen Xue yang's Betrayal
Chapter Fifteen The true Form of the Demon Ghost Supreme
Chapter Sixteen Parting of Ways
Chapter Seventeen The headless corpse
Chapter Eighteen Secrets revealed
Chapter Nineteen Memories of MingJue
Chapter 20 Death of Mo Xuanyu
Chapter Twenty-One This Promise I Make
Chapter Twenty-Two A Chance to say Goodbye
Chapter Twenty-Three The truth at Lotus Pier
Chapter Twenty-Four A part of me is within you
Chapter Twenty-Five Guanyin Temple
Chapter Twenty-Six The unexpected twist in the truth
Hi there, Just another Notice

Chapter Seven Xinglu Ridge

461 24 1
By ShonuaSDK

The next morning, Hua Ying said Goodbye to Mo Xuanyu and together with Lan Zhan they left following the left hand's direction, the two went toward the northwest. On the way Hua Ying took out light breeze and changed it into a parasol and walked side by side with Lan Zhan.

Each night they stopped, they duetted Rest in order to temporarily calm its anger and killing intent then Lan Zhan would go to his side of the bedroom and Hua Ying would meditate by the table. This carried on as the travelled near Qinghe, the posture that the arm maintained to show them the way suddenly changed. Its index finger curled back, and it formed a fist. This meant that what the hand pointed at was just around the area.

Hua Ying did not want to be anywhere the Nie sect at the moment because Nie Huaisang and Nie Mingjue would recognize him, not that they would expose him it was just that he chose to leave this world behind him. The streets were crowded with people hurrying to and fro. Hua Ying was trotting behind Lan Zhan when, suddenly, he was overwhelmed by the pungent fragrance of cosmetics. Going to the vendor he looked at the cosmetics.

What are you selling? Why does it smell like this? asked Hua Ying

The fragrance came from a charlatan, who wore the robes of a cultivator and had the word "deceiving" plastered all over his face. He carried a chest, selling a few items to passersby. Seeing that someone asked, he beamed, I sell everything! The rouge and powder here are both cheap and fine. Young Master, take a look?

Sure, I'll take a look. Said Hua Ying smiling

For your wife? Asked the charlatan

For my son said Hua Ying as he remembered that he was still in his male form

Are you joking with me? Asked the charlatan

No, I actually mean it growled Hua Ying. Before he lost his temper, Lan Zhan turned around and came over.

Do not bother others if you are not going to buy it. Said Lan Zhan

As the charlatan was a fake cultivator, but he knew a few things about the cultivation world. Having recognized the Lan Sect's sect motif, he didn't dare to cause trouble, and ran away carrying his chest.

What are you running away for? I really wanted to buy it! Hua Ying shouted after him laughing

Do you have the money? Asked Lan Zhan

You didn't allow me to go home before we came, so I do not, you can give me money. Said Hua Ying as he extended his hand to search. He didn't expect to actually find anything, but after a few moments, he did find a delicate, heavy pouch with money in it.

He was quite surprised that he could take anything from Lan Zhan if he wanted to, without the other becoming dissatisfied at all. This was when they were actually together before the betrayal, before the heartbreak.

So, what changed in the thirteen years that he supposedly died to make him change this drastically? Thought Hua Ying as he looked at the pouch then placed it within his sleeves.

After walking for some distance, Hua Ying unintentionally turned around and looked. Lan Zhan was behind him, still standing at the same place, staring toward his direction. Hua Ying then smiled bought his bright red parasol down and changed to his female form when he bought it up the change in Lan Zhan's face was noticeable and it made him happy. With a flirtatious smile he was about to call out when he heard someone shout.

"The YiLing Patriarch, five coins for one, ten coins for three!"

Who?! Asked Hua Ying as his face darkened, He hurried over to look at who was selling him, only to see that it was the same fake cultivator. He packed away the low-grade rouge and powder, and now held a stack of paper that had someone even more malicious-looking than door-gods-drawn on them.

Five coins for one, ten coins for three, such a low price wouldn't cost you anything! I recommend three. One for the door, one for the hall, and stick the last on your bedroom wall. With the strong, dense evil energy, it uses poison to cure poison, making sure that no evil beings can come near you! Said the charlatan

That's some shameless boasting! If it's really that effective, would you still be selling one for five coins?! Asked Hua Ying

Yes, young Maiden it truly works, as Hua Ying flipped through his own portraits, these look nothing like Wei Ying he was famous for his looks what you've drawn here is nothing worse than dog shit said Hua Ying

Young maiden how would you know what the Yiling patriarch looked like asked the charlatan

I actually know someone that knew Wei Ying, as he felt a gust of wind from behind Hua Ying dodged the attack that threw the charlatan off his feet and crashed into the stand behind him.

Why did you kick me? Asked the charlatan as he got up

Kick you? Anyone who dares to mention the words "Wei WuXian" in front of me should be kneeling in gratitude if I don't kill them. Yet, you're shouting right in the middle of the streets. Do you want to die?! Sneered Jin Ling

Jin Ling! Said Hua Ying as he grabbed the youth, this is how people make their living even if it false.

Jin Ling was angered and being stopped by a maiden was even worse he blew a short whistle and the next thing Hua Ying heard barking and people screaming "mad dog on the loose" Hua Ying paled and turned to see a black-haired spiritual dog of waist height went out of a corner, dashing straight at him. Hua Ying immediately ran from the dog Hua Ying almost died from the fright remembering his past. As he saw a tall, white figure.

A-Zhan, save me! Cried Hua Ying, as he ran down the alley way, Hua Ying found himself blocked in with the dog and the dog was growling, flash backs of those days came to his and terrifying Hua Ying even more.

MOTHER, FATHER. Screamed Hua Ying YIN YU as he was about to pass out from fear someone grabbed him around the waist and blocked his sight from the dog. Jin Ling came around the corner to see Lan Zhan stare at the dog and the dog ran away to hid behind Jin Ling.

I'm sorry, it was he was meant to chase the Charlatan he said as he saw Hua Ying change into his male form. Hua Ying hid behind Lan Zhan as he quivered in fear, just then a masked person came into view and saw Hua Ying hiding behind Lan Zhan and then saw a boy with a spiritual dog.

Boy get that got out of here before I slit its throat growled Yin Yu

Jin Long turned around and saw a man the fear of actually losing his pet he had received from his uncle had him look down then ordered the dog to follow leaving the three behind.

YIN YU! That took you so long I was about to be eaten cried Hua Ying as he flew into Yin Yu's arms

Hush now, where is the ring I gave you?! I had to hear from your father, luckily, I came in time to hear your screams Hua Cheng Zhu would kill me if anything happened to you! Scolded Yin Yu

I'm sorry, I'm sorry as Hua Ying dug in his qiankun bag, there it's on I forgot I had another one since I gave the second to A-Yu, I'm sorry stammered Hua Ying as he let go of Yin Yu to dry his eyes.

A-Ying remember you are precious as the sun and stars, your family can't lose you, I can't lose you otherwise what brother am I going to torture in the ring? Asked Yin Yu

I am fine, Lan Zhan stopped the dog and you chased it away I am fine now said Hua Ying smiling

Remember, do not show your pain in front of other's only family alright, we love you. Now do what you came to do and come home said Yin Yu hugging Hua Ying, you better watch him carefully or I will cut you down and feed your body to the ghost realm he growled then let go and walked away.

YIN YU! I can take care of myself; I just had happened to make the wrong turn. Shouted Hua Ying as he walked out and was followed by Lan Zhan

The moral degeneration of the world is getting worse day by day. How terrifying are the disciples from prominent clans these days! How terrifying! Said the charlatan coming up to Hua Ying

That's right, it's getting worse day by day. Mortals are not what they were in the past. Said Hua Ying thinking

Brother, thank you so much for what happened earlier! This is a gift for you. If you cut the price and sell one for three coins, you'd still end up earning at least three hundred. Said the charlatan as he stoved the stack of badly drawn paper and compacts of rouge in Hua Ying's hands

Lan Zhan took a look at the scary-faced hunk in the portrait and did not comment. This is to thank me? If you really want to thank me, you can draw him in a prettier way! Said Hua Ying, just as the charlatan was about to walk away ...Stop, don't go yet. There's something I want to ask you. Doing your business here, have you ever heard of any strange events? Or seen any odd things? Asked Hua Ying

Strange events? Good thing that you asked me. I stay here most of the year, known as the know-it-all of Qinghe. What sort of strange events are you looking for? Asked the charlatan

For example, evil spirits haunting around, cases of dismembered corpses, incidents in which whole clans were destroyed... as Hua Ying ticked them off his fingers

There's isn't any here, but if you go a bit less than two miles ahead, there's a mountain ridge named Xinglu Ridge. I suggest you don't go there. Said the charlatan interrupting him. The Xinglu Ridge is also called the Man-Eating Ridge. Why do you think that is?

Huh, so there's an evil being that eats human there? Said Hua Ying

That's right! It is said that, in the ridge's forest, there is a 'man-eating castle' with monsters that feed on the humans living inside it. The monsters will devour anyone who ventures inside it without leaving a single crumb behind. No corpses could be found, there wasn't a single exception! It's scary, isn't it? Said the charlatan

No wonder that Jin Ling also came here. Unable to suppress the soul-consuming goddess at Dafan Mountain, he definitely came for the monster in the Xinglu Ridge again. Scary indeed! But, if nothing was left behind, and no corpses could be found, how can it be known that they were eaten? Asked Hua Ying

Of course, someone saw it, there was one case where a low-level cultivator some sect came and tried his luck with a few others, he was the only one to escape and came screaming into town about the ridge. This was when I just started here... Said the charlatan

My thanks said Hua Ying. Let me ask you if this ridge is part of the Qinghe region then why hasn't Nie Mingjue taken care of it already? Asked Hua Ying

You don't know? Sect leader Nie MIngjue is dead! He died from Qi Deviation quite some time ago the new sect leader is now a head shaker. Said the charlatan, he asks the other clans for help and when he is asked a question he replies "he doesn't know", everyone believes it was because of his brother's death.

My thanks said Hua Ying quitely and left, his head buried in his thoughts he never even realized that Lan Zhan had taken him gently by the arm and steered him towards the ridge.

There was a large cedarwood forest on the Xinglu Ridge, with a wide trail amid the shade of the trees. After a while of walking, they didn't meet anything out of the usual.

Is it true? Is Mingjue truly, how? Why? The talisman should've worked I know because I made it for him so why? Why would they hide it from me? Asked Hua Ying softly

You should ask Nie Huaisang when you see him, only he can answer your questions said Lan Zhan

After a bit less than an hour, they finally met a setback. From ahead came seven or eight figures, staggering toward them. Their eyes were white and they wore ragged clothing, appearing as if even a light breeze would be enough to blow them over. With their extremely slow speed, it was easy to see that they were a group of walking corpses of the lowest level possible. Hua Ying lifted his hand and flicked same dark energy towards them, the corpses then bowed and left the way they came.

Lan Zhan was speechless.

Let's go, let's go. Let's get off this ridge. I don't think that there are any other monsters. The people here are so gossipy that a few useless walking corpses became ruthless monsters in their mouths. Things like the 'man-eating castle' must have been fabricated as well. Such a waste of efforts, don't you think? Said Hua Ying laughing

A series of wild barks suddenly came from far away in the cedarwood forest. Hua Ying instantly froze and jumped behind Lan Zhan and hid him tight while burying his face in Lan Zhan's back

It is still far away. Have no fear. Said Lan Zhan

Easy for you to say you weren't the one being mauled everyday by those beasts when you were five. Where is it? Where is it?! Panicked Hua Ying, not realizing what he had just said

listening intently for a moment, it is Jin Ling's black-haired spiritual dog. Said Lan Zhan

Taking his head away from Lan Zhan's back, what has that brat gotten into now?! Retorted Hua Ying

If a spiritual dog is barking in such a way, something must have happened. Said Lan Zhan

then let's go and see! Stuttered Hua Ying

Lan Zhan didn't move at all.

Move Lan Zhan! If you don't move, what do I do?! Cried Hua Ying

First... let go. Said Lan Zhan as he grabbed Hua Ying from behind and slipped his hand around his waist then moved forward as Hua Ying buried his head in Lan Zhan's shoulder. Staggering they followed the barks of the dog, they only circled two times around the cedarwood forest. The spiritual dog's barks also appeared sometimes near, sometimes far. Having listened to a long while of barking,

Hua Ying finally grew somewhat used to it and released his hold on Lan Zhan and slipped out of his embrace. much to Lan Zhan's disappointment 

There's a maze array here? Said Hua Ying. 

This maze array was definitely created by a person. A while ago, he said that the legends of the ridge were all hearsay, but, now, things were getting interesting. Hua Ying grinned as he took a leaf off the cedar tree and whispered an incantation, the ghost that was called as a minor but had great sense of direction and helped them find a way through, once they were out the leaf ghost bowed then burst into flames.

Thank you, my old friend, remind me I owe you a jar and a girl for the night said Hua Ying watching the blue flames.

After about fifteen minutes of barking, the black-haired spiritual dog still wasn't tired out. Not long afterward, the silhouettes of creepy, stone castles appeared amid the cedarwood forest. The castles were made of greyish-white stones, its surface covered in green vines and fallen leaves. Every one of them was made into strange semi-spheres, appearing as if a few large bowls were turned over on the ground.

Who would have known that there really were such stone castles inside the Xinglu Ridge? It seemed that the legends didn't appear out of thin air after all. However, it'd be hard to say whether or not this was a "man-eating castle", and what beings were inside of it. Said Hua Ying as he started getting excited dancing further away from Lan Zhan, forgetting for a moment about the dog.

Jin Ling's black-haired spiritual dog was outside of the cluster of stone castles it listened as it heard voices approaching then it saw Hua Ying and Lan Zhan approach and ran towards them. 

It ran around Hua Ying, sometimes grunting in a low voice and sometimes barking wildly, Hua Ying froze in fear as the beads of sweat formed on his body. Seeing that Lan Zhan approached, it backed off slightly out of fear, but instead of running away, it barked even louder at them. It then looked toward the stone castles, its front paws restlessly digging into the ground. Hua Ying then ran and hid behind Lan Zhan

Why is it still not going away? Where's is Jin Ling? Why is he not around?! Said Hua Ying in a pained voice

From upon hearing the barks until now, they hadn't heard anything coming from Jin Ling at all, not even cries for help. This black-haired spiritual dog must have been brought here by him, and it must have been the one who broke the maze array as well. Yet, it seemed as if a living person just disappeared like that.

Let us go inside to see. Said Lan Zhan

How? There's no door. Said Hua Ying then he screamed

As Jin Ling's dog got hold of his outer robe and pulled him in a certain direction. Hua Ying's soul almost flew out of him. He extended his arms toward Lan Zhan and grabbed him and held on for dear life as the dog pulled them both around towards the back then it let go and started barking at the entrance. Forgetting his fear but still had the death like grip on Lan Zhan he walked closer towards the dog and the self-made entrance in the wall

Jin Ling must've made this hole and entered said Hua Ying as the dog whined as though it was agreeing with what he had said

Bichen unsheathed on its own by an inch. The blade of the sword emitted a cold glow of light blue, illuminating the dark path ahead. Lan Zhan bent down and went inside first followed by Hua Ying who was still holding Lan Zhan's arm against his chest

The black-haired spiritual dog appeared like it really wanted to follow him, also trying to rush inside, but it seemed as if it was blocked outside by some sort of a force. It couldn't break the barrier no matter how hard it tried, so it could only sit down outside of the entrance, its tail wagging faster and faster. Hua Ying was so glad that he almost knelt down for it.

Finally letting go of Lan Zhan, Hua Ying's wraith butterflies came out to give additional light, as they walked deeper inside. The Xinglu Ridge was covered in a tall, deep forest, so it was quite chilly. And, inside of the stone castle, it was colder than it was outside. Hua Ying was lucky his sister had given him the perfect Hanfu one that couldn't feel the cold when cold nor the heat when hot his body stayed ghost cool, the sweat that poured off of him from fear had also dried as the cloth was waterproof and didn't enjoy water being on its master. The light at the entrance had disappeared as if it was a candle having been snuff out. The deeper they went inside, the darker and more spacious it became.

From the entrance he heard, voices as they went deeper the louder it got, He finally couldn't endure it any longer and stopped in his tracks, pressing his right hand on his temple and scrunching his brows. The pain unbearable he knelt down.

What happened? Asked Lan Zhan as he knelt down and passed his own spiritual energy to Hua Ying to ease his head

The voices, It's so loud. Muttered Hua Ying as he looked up the pain reflecting in his eyes.

Inside the stone castle, there was only dead silence. It was as quiet as a cemetery. Actually, it itself also seemed similar to a cemetery. But, in Hua Ying's ears, right now, they were already surrounded by noise. The noise came from all around them. It was an ocean of whispers, rustles, and giggles, from in front and behind, above and below. The voices involved both male and female, old and young, loud and quiet Hua Ying could even hear a few fragmented sentences, but they came and went, not allowing him to catch any specific words.

The foreboding shadow in Hua Ying's heart grew denser. Getting up while holding his head he called,

Jin Ling! Jin Ling! Jin RuLan! if you can hear me, call out! He continued walking deeper calling his Shijie's son's name.

The first stone rooms were all empty, but, as they went in deeper, in the center of one of the rooms, there was a black coffin. It was quite odd for a coffin to appear here. However, the wood used was a deep black, and the shape was also crafted in a skilled way. Seeing this, Hua Ying had an exceptionally strong affinity toward it.

He couldn't help but patted it a few times. The wood was sturdy and the sound was firm. Lan Zhan and Hua Ying stood on opposite sides of the coffin. After passing a look between them, they extended their arms at the same time and opened the lid.

The moment the lid was opened, the noise around them suddenly multiplied, flooding through Hua Ying's ears in the manner of tidal water. It was as if, before this, they were secretly watched by countless pairs of eyes, the owners of the eyes silently monitored and discussed every word they spoke, every action they performed, and suddenly became agitated as they saw that the coffin was about to be opened. Hua Ying collapsed onto the floor as the voices took over his mind.

Is he, is he in there? Groaned Hua Ying as he tried to get up from the floor the blood pouring from his ears from the onslaught

Lan Zhan bent down towards him again and eased the pain in his head. Why does this happen? He asked as he gently wiped his ears with a cloth in the other hand

Being what I am makes me hear what others cannot, said Hua Ying, this would've been easier in my female from but it's too late now as he got up and looked in the coffin. Surprisingly, this was an empty coffin.

Turning his head to the side Hua Ying then threw up. Looking back, he was to find that Jin Ling was not inside but as the wraith butterfly came closer, he gasped, the coffin wasn't empty what laid in there was a sword! The sword had no sheath. The hilt seemed to have been casted from gold, appearing to be quite heavy in weight. Its body was slender, and its blade shone. Resting on a layer of red cloth at the bottom of the coffin, it reflected a bloody shade of scarlet, emitting a chilling air of destruction.

So, you are the one that is calling to me smiled Hua Ying as he touched the blade, where is your master?

A sword was put inside a coffin instead of a corpse. There really wasn't anywhere not peculiar about these stone castles in the Xinglu Ridge, revealing mysteries every step they took. The two closed the coffin lid and continued walking the voices continued their dull pestering and not he loud screech that Hua Ying experienced before. They found other coffins like this in some other rooms. Looking at the texture of the wood, their ages were all different. And, within every coffin, there was a long sword. Even until they went inside the last room, there still wasn't any trace of Jin Ling.

Seeing the panic on Hua Ying's face, Lan Zhan thought for a moment, put the guqin horizontally on the coffin, and raised his hand. A melody poured from his fingers.

He only played a short excerpt, and then took his right hand away from the guqin. He stared attentively at the still-vibrating strings. Suddenly, the strings quivered, and one note sounded on its own.

Enquiry? Asked Hua Ying

Inquiry was a famous piece composed by an ancestor in the Gusu Lan Sect. Different from Evocation, it was used when the victim's identity was unknown and there wasn't a medium. The player used notes of the guqin to enquire, asking questions to the victim, while the victim's answers would be transformed into melodies by Enquiry and shown on the strings. If the strings vibrated on their own, it meant that Lan Zhan had already brought a spirit in the castle here. After this, the two would start asking and answering using the language of the guqin.

Second master Lan, help me ask what this place is, what is it for, and who built it. Whispered Hua Ying, as he had already tried asking but none knew.

As he mastered the language, without any hesitation, Lan Zhan confidently played a few limpid notes. After a few moments, the strings played two notes on their own.

What did it say? Asked Hua Ying softly as the pain gotten worse as the vioces gotten louder

I do not know. Replied Lan Zhan

With the first question unanswered, Lan Zhan played another sentence. The strings responded again, with the same two notes as before. Hua Ying could tell that, this time, the answer was "I don't know" as well.

What did you ask it, this time? Said Hua Ying as he paced mild panic was turning to full blown panic. Time was running out.

How it died. Replied Lan Zhan

If it was secretly killed when it was not paying attention, then it'd explain why it doesn't know how it died. Why don't you ask it if it knows who killed it? Asked Hua Ying as he gripped his once again and moaned

Lan Zhan raised his hands to play another phrase. Yet, the answer was the same two notes.

It was a spirit who had been trapped here, yet it didn't know where this was, how it died, and who killed it. This was also Hua Ying's first time meeting such a deceased person. With a change of thought, he spoke again.

Ask it whether it's a man or a woman. There's no way that it doesn't know this. said Hua Ying barely able to whisper as his vision swarmed

Lan Zhan did as he was told. After he took away his hands, another string sounded in a strong way. A man. Said Lan Zhan

Ask again, whether or not a boy of fifteen or sixteen entered here. Asked Hua Ying

Yes. Replied Lan Zhan

Then where is he right now? Asked Hua Ying as his heart started beating rapidly with fear

The strings paused for a moment, then replied. it said, 'Right here.' said Lan Zhan as he saw that Hua Ying was nearing his dangerous panicked state.

It can't lie, right? Whispered Hua Ying

I am here, so it cannot. Replied Lan Zhan

Hua Ying proceeded to search around this room, looking for any mechanisms or secret rooms that he had missed. After a thinking for a moment, Lan Zhan played a few more phrases. However, after he received the answer, his expression changed slightly. Seeing this,

What did you ask this time? Asked Hua Ying full blown panic was turning into hysteria

How old he was; where he was from. Said Lan Zhan

How was it? Said Hua Ying as the hysteria reached his voice his wraith fluttered around him violently

Fifteen, from Lanling. Replied Lan Zhan

Hua Ying immediately paled at the answer,finally unable to bare the pain he went to his knees the soul that they found was Jin Ling, it was Jin Ling! trying to Calm his heart, he closed his eyes and listened his butterflies fluttered around and finally heard their song as the noise disappeared, the voices calmed. They were still panicked yet he heard nothing, felt nothing his butterflies became even more frantic.

Lan Zhan continued to ask. Hua Ying knew that he was asking for the precise location, so he stared fixedly at the strings of the guqin, waiting for Jin Ling's answer.

This time, the answer came a bit slower. After he finished listening, stand at where you are, face the southwest, and listen to the strings. After each note is played, walk forward one step. When the sound stops, it will be right in front of you. Said Lan Zhan as he looked at Hua Ying

Without saying a word, Hua Ying stood up and turned toward the southwest, calming his wraith butterflies. Behind him came seven notes of the guqin, the notes continued, but the pause between them grew longer and longer, and he also walked slower and slower. Another step, and another, and another, After the sixth step, the guqin finally silenced. No more notes sounded.

And, before him, there was only a wall.

The wall was made of grey-white rock bricks, pieced together tightly.

He's in the wall?! Paled Hua Ying as his wraith butterflies immediately started attacking the wall creating a large hole, Jin Ling fell out and Hua Ying caught him just as he was about to hit the ground, Hua Ying's wraith butterflies danced around the boy as Hua Ying frantically tried to get the boy breathing again, once Jin Ling took his first breath Hua Ying then held him tight.

Your mother would come back from the afterlife and murder me if anything happened to you while I was here, he scolded the unconscienced child

When Hua Ying dug Jin Ling out another fell out with him taking a look. It was the ashen bone of a human arm!

Lan Zhan continued digging and found a complete skeleton withing the wall. This skeleton was the same as how Jin Ling looked, buried inside the wall in a standing position. With ghastly pale bones and pitch-black dirt, the contrast was distinct yet glaring to the eye. Lan Zhan dug a bit more through the ground and broke away a few pieces of bricks on the side. 

After some more rustling around, sure enough, he found another skeleton nearby. This one hadn't decayed completely yet. There was still some flesh on the bones, and long, messy hair on the skull. From the ragged clothing in the shade of a watered down red, he could tell that this was a woman. However, she wasn't standing, with her skeleton bending down. The reason of this was that there was a third skeleton beside her, squatting down by her feet.

The noise in his ears was as wild and turbulent as tidal waves. Lan Zhan, stop please groaned Hua Ying as he lifted his hand and grabbed his sword hand. This place is packed with human remains and the more you uncover the more pain I will be in please said Hua Ying as his ears bled more

Lan Zhan looked over and saw that Hua Ying's ears were indeed bleeding again, kneeling down and taking the handkerchief from his sleeve he carefully lifted Hua Ying's face and tilted gently to wipe the blood away. At this moment, the unconscious Jin Ling suddenly sat up. He clumsily stood up with closed eyes. Hua Ying stared at Jin Ling as the boy slowly walked around then stepped back into the wall placed his arms on his chest just like when Hua Ying found him. Hua Ying pulled him out of the wall again, feeling that the situation was both hilarious and strange.

As he was about to tell Lan Zhan that it was best not to stay here for long, he suddenly quivered out of fright, hearing a few barks that came from afar. Ever since they went in, the black-haired spiritual dog behaved itself, wagging its tail as it sat before the entrance. It waited for them to bring back its master in an anxious yet pathetic way, without barking anymore. However, right now, its barks were fiercer than ever.

Something is wrong outside of the castle. Said Lan Zhan

Let's go out and see! Said Hua Ying not minding that Lan Zhan took Jin Ling, right now he couldn't even hold himself up, what he didn't expect was that Lan Zhan placed his one arm around Hua Ying waist and pulled him close so that he could support him as well. The two quickly went back the same way they came. Bending down to exit, they saw the spiritual dog face them with its back, growling with the bottom of its throat at a certain direction. As they came over the dog turned and saw its master and tried to dash over Hua Ying screamed and his behind Lan Zhan, Lan Zhan shifted his body to cover Hua Ying then laid Jin Ling down reached over and took whatever it was from the dog's mouth, Lan Zhan turned and showed Hua Ying the piece of cloth.

They haven't gone far yet. Let's go after them! Said Hua Ying

That is not necessary. I know who they are. Said Lan Zhan

I also know. It must have been the same group of people who spread rumors of the Xinglu Ridge, let out the walking corpses, set up the maze array, and built the stone castles. And those sabers. But, if we don't catch them now, it'd be a bother to find them later. Said Hua Ying

I will go after them. What about you and Jin Ling? Asked Lan Zhan with concern in his eyes

I'll take him down the Xinglu Ridge, I am fine now and settle down somewhere in Qinghe, around where we met that charlatan. Let's meet up there. Said Hua Ying and he place a hand on Lan Zhan's arm, Go. Any later and the person would have run away. I'll wait for you!

Hearing the 'I'll wait for you', Lan Zhan took one deep look at him and walked off without any more words. The spiritual dog wanted to throw itself over again.

WAIT! Take the dog away! Take it!!! Stammered Hua Ying

Lan Zhan had to come back again. He looked down at the black-haired spiritual dog. Too scared to put up any resistance, it yapped as it trailed behind Lan Zhan, turning around to look at Jin Ling once in a while. Hua Ying wiped a few drops of sweat from his forehead. After he looked at the group of white castles once more, he picked up Jin Ling again and went down the Xinglu Ridge. I should really try get over this fear I mean seriously I supreme Demon ghost king and goddess of the sun terrified of dogs, the rats at Tonglu mountian was fiercer said Hua Ying to no one but himself.

At the moment, it was already near dusk. With a boy on his back and both of them covered in dirt, they received a lot of attention from passersby. Hua Ying went back to the street where Jin Ling used the dog to chase him and found an inn. Using the money, he fished out of Lan Zhan, he bought two new outfits and got a room. He first took off Jin Ling's sect robe, which had been crumpled after it was buried in dirt, then pulled off his boots. Suddenly, his movements came to a halt. There appeared to be an area of shadow on Jin Ling's lower leg. Squatting down and rolling up the boy's trousers, Hua Ying discovered that this wasn't a shadow, but a black bruise. And, it wasn't a bruise that came from being injured, it was a Curse Mark.

Seriously Jin Ling, you should stop being like Jiang Cheng because it might just get you killed said Hua Ying in disgust

Jin Ling's whole leg had turned black, and the bruise was still stretching upward. Hua Ying had never seen a Curse Mark in such an intense shade of black and covering such a large area. The more he looked at it, the sterner his face grew. He put Jin Ling's legs down and undid Jin Ling's undergarment. He only felt relief after he saw that his chest and stomach areas were all clean, not affected by the Curse Mark yet.

At this moment, Jin Ling opened his eyes. He was confused for quite a while. With his body naked and cold all around, he came to at once.

What are you doing?! Roared Jin Ling as his face turned red

Finally, you're awake princess. Said Hua Ying

What do you want?! Where are my clothes?! Where's my sword?! Where's my dog?! Demanded Jin Ling

From you nothing, they were dirty and so was your robes, so I wiped you down and was just about to put these ones on, your sword is at your side if you look down and your beast is with Lan Zhan said Hua Ying

Jin Ling leaned against the wall with disheveled hair, I am not a cut-sleeve!!! Said Jin Ling

Well done I am glad to know that, but I am and trust me like I said to your uncle you aren't my type, plus I am too old for you. said Hua Ying

Jin Ling snatched the sword that lay beside the bed and pointed it at Hua Ying

I spent so much effort to dig you out of the wall, and you don't even thank me. Sneered Hua Ying, next time I will leave you to rot, and your pathetic uncle can find your remains.

If not for this, the fact that you dared to take off my clothes would've gotten you killed for thousands of times! Said Jin Ling

Please don't. Dying once was already painful enough as it is said Hua Ying as he rolled his eyes

With a muddled look, Jin Ling did as he was told and put the sword down. Suddenly, his eyes went toward the window and was shocked to see that the sky was already dark, with a few stars scattered here and there. Jin Ling hopped off the bed, put on his boots, grabbed his jacket, and sprinted out of the room.

What are you running away for?! Come back! Shouted Hua Ying as Jin Ling flew out the door, idiotic brat growled Hua Ying as he ran after Jin Ling.

After chasing for a few blocks, Hua Ying actually lost him. After searching for a while, twilight came, and the people on the streets also lessened. Hua Ying was quite annoyed. As he was about to give up, the angered voice of a young man came from in front of him, at the far end of the street.

I only said a few things about you, and you disappeared into nowhere. Are you some young mistress? Your temper has been growing worse and worse!

Jiang Cheng! Hua Ying groaned as he slid into an alleyway, what luck has he got to bump into this person.

I already came back with nothing wrong with me, didn't I? Stop nagging! Retorted Jin Ling

Nothing wrong? You look like you just rolled around in a muddy ditch, and you say there's nothing wrong with you! Don't you think that it's an embarrassment to be wearing your sect's uniform? Hurry back and change into something else! Speak. What did you run into today? Shouted Jiang Cheng

I already said that I didn't run into anything. I tripped, and it was a waste of time. Ow! Jin Ling shouted, don't tug on me like that! I'm not three-years-old!

Is it that you think I can't discipline you any longer? Let me tell you that, even if you're thirty, I'd still be able to tug you. Next time, if you dare to run around without telling anyone again, the whip waits upon you! Said Jiang Cheng harshly

I went alone exactly because I didn't want anyone to help or discipline me. Shouted Jin Ling

So, what now? What did you catch? Where's the spiritual dog that your uncle gave you? Asked Jiang Cheng

It was chased into some random corner by Lan Zhan. Just as Hua Ying was thinking, two familiar barks came from the other side of the alley. Hua Ying's demeanor changed at once. Legs moving on their own, he rushed outside as if he was chased by poisonous arrows. The black-haired spiritual dog sprinted over from the other end, passed Hua Ying, and threw itself toward Jin Ling's legs, affectionately brushing him with its tail.

With the dog appearing here, it must have meant that Lan Zhan had already caught whoever was spying near the stone castles and went to point of rendezvous that they settled on earlier. However, at the moment, Hua Ying had no time to think about these things. As he tried to run from the dog, he just happened to run into the last person he ever wanted to run into. Jiang Cheng!

After both sides stayed still for a moment, Hua Ying silently turned around and fled. Having only managed a short distance, he heard a sizzling noise, and a purple electric current wrapped around his lower leg as if it was a snake. Numbness and pain surged through his body from bottom to top, and he fell at once, after a pull from behind. Then, someone picked him up with the back of his collar. Jiang Cheng walked a few steps while holding him, entered the nearest shop, and kicked open the wooden bolt that was already half-latched. 

The owner was getting ready to close the shop for the night. Suddenly, seeing that a fancy-clothed, dark-faced young man kicked open the door and walked inside with someone in his hand, appearing as if he was going to disembowel the victim right here, the owner was so frightened that he couldn't speak. A disciple went up and whispered a few things in his ear. With some silver pushed into his hands, he quickly fled to the back of the hall and never came out again. Without any further instructions, the Jiang Sect's disciples instantly spread out from the inside to the outside, making it so that nothing could enter or escape the place.

I'll take care of you later. Stay here! He growled at Jin Ling

From the beginning of his memory until now, Jin Ling had never seen such a look on Jiang Cheng's face before. This uncle of his who led the prominent Yunmeng Jiang Sect ever since a young age had always been cold and dark. When he spoke, he was willing to neither show mercy nor do good. Yet, right now, although he was trying hard to suppress unnecessary facial expressions, his eyes were alarmingly intense.

Although his face had always been clouded, marked with arrogance and satire, it seemed as if every corner of it had come alive. It was difficult to determine whether it was vengeful wrath, fathomless hatred, or raving ecstasy.

Lend me your dog. Growled Jiang Cheng

Jin Ling pulled himself out of the daze. He hesitated for a moment and only whistled after Jiang Cheng shot him two lightning-sharp beams from his eyes. The dog dashed over in just a few leaps. Hua Ying, body as stiff as an iron board, could only be dragged forward, walking one step at a time.

Jiang Cheng found an empty room and threw Hua Ying inside, closing the door behind him. The dog followed them inside and sat by the door. Hua Ying decided to sit in a lotus position and meditate rather than show his fear, he entered a state of calm as Jiang Cheng poured himself a cup of tea, after a pause Jiang took the cup of steaming tea and threw it to the round

Don't you have anything to say to me? Sneered Jiang Cheng

Your temper has gotten worse and so has your manners... now that I think about it has always been this way only thing that is new is you torturing the innocent said Hua Ying as he stayed in his calm state.

You really don't learn, do you? Jiang Cheng growled

And you have not made any progress either nor will you ever. said Hua Ying

Sure, then let's see which of us is the one who hasn't made any progress. Said Jiang Cheng as he remains seated at the table, he shouted in a commanding way. The dog stood up immediately!

Sensing that the large, snarling dog closed in on him in less than a second, his ears were full of its low howls and his entire body numbed.

Whose name did you call? Growled Jiang Cheng as he called the dog away

What does it matter to you, get him to bite me, claw me make me bloody, hell you already stabbed me twice what do I care! But before that beast can come near me it will die then what would you say to your nephew? "Sorry my pride got the better of me and because of that the bastard strangled your dog" tell me Cheng-Cheng who would that boy hate more me the person that killed it or you the person that loves torturing people? Asked Hua Ying

Ignoring what Hua Ying said, when have you been close you, Lan Wangji? asked Jiang Cheng

Hua Ying immediately understood whose name he had unconsciously called out.

It really is quite curious how far he went to protect you, back on Dafan Mountain. Said Jiang Cheng with a grin, no, you weren't necessarily the one whom Lan WangJi was protecting. After all, the Gusu Lan Sect couldn't have forgotten what you did with that loyal dog of yours. How could someone so celebrated for his righteousness tolerate the likes of you? Maybe he's familiar with this body that you stole instead.

Mark your words Jiang Cheng, I am not as lenient as I was before said Hua Ying as black hand came out

I've never cared for such things, don't you remember? Smirked Jiang Cheng So you think that you're qualified to make me watch my language. Do you still remember? Last time, on Dafan Mountain, did you watch your language when talking to Jin Ling?

That is why I am qualified to tell you so? You the biased coward destroying everything in its path tell me after I died how was Yunmeng? Was it overflowing? Did you run yourself dry with all the ghosts and monsters showing up? Do you think keeping me here will help you? Sneered Hua Ying, you truly have forgotten what I can do haven't you? Unless you would like another taste.

Jiang Cheng's face paled how did you know?

Black water is my uncle he is the supreme ghost king and sending his ghouls and ghosts were nothing because neither of you destroy them and with free reign you just piss them off so they come back, ever notice that none was killed, now that was me for ten years, they raided your lands emptying out your people so do you really think you could get away? So, you want to pay for the mark on my leg because I can surely tell you know the little fetus ghoul of mine is already lucking in the shadows waiting to eat your fingers grinned Hua Ying as the dog started growling at the darkest corner of the room and Hua Ying laughed.

What the fuck are you? Shouted Jiang Cheng

Me? I'm special said Hua Ying smiling

Suddenly, a series of hurried footsteps approached, and the door was pounded on loudly. Jin Ling shouted from outside, Uncle!

Didn't I tell you to stay where you were? Why did you come here? Said Jiang Cheng through the door

Uncle, I have something really important to tell you. Said Jin Ling

If there's something important, why didn't you decide to speak up when I was scolding you? Asked Jiang Cheng

I didn't want to say it exactly because you kept on scolding me! Are you going listen or not? If not, I'm just not going say it! Jin Ling angrily.

Jiang Cheng opened the door with a fuming look on his face, tell me, then get out! He growled

I really did encounter something troublesome today. I think I might have run into Wen Ning! Said Jin Ling coming inside the room

Jiang Cheng's brow twitched. With a hostile expression, he placed his hand on his sword at once, Where? When?! Asked Jiang Cheng

It was this afternoon. There's a worn-down house about a dozen miles south of here. I went because I heard that something strange had happened there, but who could have guessed that there was a fierce corpse hiding inside. Said Jin Ling

Why didn't you say so earlier?! Shouted Jiang Cheng

I wasn't certain. The corpse moved at a really fast speed and ran away as soon as I entered. I only saw a blurry figure. But I heard the chain noises he made on Dafan Mountain, which was why I suspected that it might have been him. If you didn't scold me like that, I would have told you right after I came back. If he ran away and you can't catch him, it'd be because of your bad temper, not me. Sneered Jin Ling

He still wanted to peek inside, but Jiang Cheng was so angered that he slammed the door right in front of his face. Through the closed door, I'll deal with you later. Get lost! Shouted Jiang Cheng

Hearing Jin ling footsteps retreating, Jiang Cheng turned towards Hua Ying immediately pulled his face in an "I got caught' expression, Jin Ling was clever making up a smooth lie using Hua Ying brother like that because the one person Jiang Cheng always hate more than Hua Ying was Wen Ning

You really take this obeying dog of yours everywhere, don't you?! Growled Jiang Cheng

He is my brother and not a dog and we both have died Jiang Cheng what more do you want? Asked Hua Ying

So what? My hatred would persist, even if he dies thousands of times! I'm going to burn him right now and scatter his ashes right in front of your face! Shouted Jiang Cheng as he slammed the door shut.

You keep a close eye on him. Don't believe or listen to anything he says! Don't let him make any sound. If he dares to whistle or play his flute, block his mouth first. If it doesn't work, just slice off his hand or cut off his tongue! Roared Jiang Cheng

Hua Ying smiled at these words because he knew they were meant for him what Jiang Cheng didn't know was that he wasn't as helpless as he was back then gathering his wraith butterflies the discharged on the whip making git release Hua Ying then he turns to the table pulled the other cup towards him and poured himself tea.

Cuo Cuo you know not to come to the mortal world, go on, follow the idiot make sure he gets what he deserves for this, no killing smiled Hua Ying as the white orbs disappeared with a childish laughter filled the room

After some time of waiting, Jin Ling's arrogant voice travelled through, you go stand over there. You, go wait on the side. All of you go stand in front of the main entrance. I'm going go inside and meet him. Then Hua Ying heard Jin ling walked up the stairs he remembered a comment A-Frayer once used on him and he smiled widely as Jin Ling entered the room, he was caught off guard not only did Hua Ying escape Zidian he was also smiling and that was way scarier. Walking over to Zidian he muttered something and Zidian changed back into a ring on Jin Ling finger

Come on, let's go. Said Jin Ling quietly as the two jumped through the windows and over the wall and entered the forest nearby

Why is it coming along as well?! Tell it to go away! Cried Hua Ying as he saw the dog follow them

Jin Ling whistled twice, and the dog rolled out its long tongue. Whimpering softly, its pointy ears twitched, and it ran away disheartened.

Such a loser. Fairy never bites. It just looks scary. It's a spiritual dog trained to only bite evil beings. Did you really think that it's just a regular dog? Sneered Jin Ling

I am an evil being brat! Hold on. What did you call it? Asked Hua Ying

Fairy. Its name. Said Jin Ling

You named a dog something like this?! Asked Hua Ying shocked

What's wrong with this name? When it was younger, it was called Little Fairy. Now that it grew up, I can't keep on calling it that. Said Jin Ling

There's nothing wrong with the name said Hua Ying laughing you are just like your uncle.

True men don't care for such trifles. Why are you stressing over such details? Okay! Stop. Now that you offended my uncle, you're already half dead. Now, I'm letting you go. We're even. Said Jin Ling

Do you know why your uncle wants me? Asked Hua Ying

Yes. He believes that you're Wei WuXian. Said Jin Ling

Well, I am not I can assure you he died thirteen years ago said Hua Ying, did you believe that I am him?

I thought as much, but not after you were hit by Zidian said Jin Ling dismayed, anyways, from now on, you have nothing to do with the Lanling Jin Sect anymore! Jin Ling spun around to leave. After walking a few steps, he turned to him again, what are you doing still standing there? Go. Are you waiting for my uncle to come and get you? Let me tell you, don't think that I'll be grateful just because you saved me. Don't expect me to say anything cringe worthy either.

Young man, there are two cringe worthy phrases in one's life that must be said, no matter what. Said Hua Ying as he leaned against nearby tree

Which two? Asked Jin Ling confused

'Thank you', and 'I'm sorry'. Replied Hua Ying as he remembered those where the last words his A-Qing said before she left for her death.

What can anybody do to me if I don't say them? Sneered Jin Ling

Someday, you'll say those words in tears. Said Hua Ying with a sad smile, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for the words that I spoke on Dafan mountain.

It's nothing. You weren't the first person to say so, anyways. It's true that I had no mother to teach me. However, I won't be inferior to anyone because of this! In fact, I'm going open your eyes and make you see that I am a lot stronger than all of you!

I will be happy you see that. The day you think you can surpass me is the day can ask for a fight smiled Hua Ying, Hua Ying waved his arm and caught Jin Ling before he hit the ground, placing the sleeping spell on him was easy enough when caught off guard, hell his father still did it too him when he was either overwhelmed with emotion or when he had too much to do that he forgot to rest. He laid Jin Ling flat on the ground, rolled up the bottom of his trousers, and examined the Curse Mark on his leg. Knowing that the curse mark wouldn't fade he decided to transfer the thing onto him that way Jin Ling would be safe and no dark entity would dare near him.

The dream

The curse mark will cause Hallucinations, the stronger one's inner demons are, the more severe it's effects, so what are you dreaming about... RuLan

Thought Hua Ying as he touched the curse mark

Father... Mother...

You had no mother to teach you manners

Why did you hit me?!

Your mum was no good! your dad didn't even like your mom, neither your mom nor dad wanted you

Hua Ying picked up the candied sweet and looked at the young Jin Ling as he cried

Hua Ying followed Jin Ling to a pavilion which had his Shijie and jin ZiXuan's painting and below was a boy who was still crying.

Jin Ling looked up as Hua Ying came to sit beside him

Who are you? asked Jin Ling

me? said Hua Ying then turned and looked at the little boy and smiled, I'm your uncle

Uncle... have you met dad and mom before? asked Jin ling

Of course, said Hua Ying

Really?! everyone says my mom was no good said Jin Ling as he put his head down.

Rulan, don't listen to their nonsense, my Shijie was stronger than your dad in cultivation... that and she was a wonderful cook. she was as beautiful as a newly opened lotus flower and her smile could capture even the most broken of hearts and lighten them up said Hua Ying as his placed-on Jin Ling head

And my dad asked Jin ling as he raised his head

Your dad? loved you mother very much, he was amazing and kept his promise of keeping Shijie happy.

Hua Ying standing alone among the lotus's

A-Xian... A-Xian...

Shijie... where are you Shijie? called Hua Ying as the tears ran down his face while looking around.

A-Xian... A-Xian...

Hua Ying turned and saw both Jin ZiXuan and Jaing Yanli

look Jiang Yanli said as she showed him baby Jin ling

just as he was to reach out, he noticed blood on his hand as he turned his hand over, the lotus pond turned to blood, the sky vermillion and Jin ZiXuan fell to his knees holding his chest mouthing the words he long ago heard.

A-Ying, A-Li is waiting with RuLan

Hua Ying backed away ... no ...don't

A-Xian...

Hua Ying turned his head as the sword was driven into her body.

He watched in horror as both Jin ZiXuan and Jiang Yanli laid at his feet dead.

With a power burst of dark energy, he released the nightmare as he screamed

NOOO

He was standing on the pristine lotus lake again as the tears ran down his face, lotus petals slowly falling around him.

Slowly a small hand gripped his, breaking Hua Ying from his thoughts, he looked down at a small sad face that was looking up at him.

Uncle... why did my parents abandon me? asked Little Jin Ling

Hua Ying kneeled down, RuLan... they did not abandon you.

Then why didn't they come to pick me up asked Jin Ling

Hua Ying took his hands into his own, they are at a faraway place, I will take you to find them... okay?

you better not trick me said Jin Ling with a serious face

I won't smiled Hua Ying, it's dangerous here RuLan, come he said as he held out his hand.

Back in the forest

Sitting there in the lotus position Hua Ying finally transferred the mark onto his own as he opened his eyes and wiped the tears away

Jin Ling slowly woke up after a while how dare you put me to sleep! Shouted Jin Ling

Really? I did that? Can you prove it smiled Hua Ying

You damn cut-sleeve, what on Earth do you want? I... started Jin Ling

Hua Ying covered his face and shouted toward behind Jin Ling, Ah! Second master Lan!

Jin Ling was more scared of Lan Zhan than he was of his uncle. After all, his uncle was from his own clan, but Lan Zhan was from someone else's. Frightened, he fled at once, shouting as he ran, you damn cut-sleeve! Disgusting maniac! I'll remember you! This is not over yet! Screamed Jin Ling

Behind him, Hua Ying laughed so hard that he couldn't breathe. After Jin Ling disappeared into the distance, his chest itched in a stuffy way, and finally managed to stop the laughter after a while of coughing. Only then, did he have time to think.

He had always thought that Jiang Cheng would be on his side, and Lan Zhan on the side opposite to him. He could never have imagined that things would turn out so differently. Hua Ying walked toward the rendezvous point that he and Lan Zhan were supposed to meet at. Nobody walked among the sparse lights that flickered in the night. Without having to look around, the white-robed figure stood at the end of the street, standing motionless with his head hung low.

Hua Ying stopped and stared as his heart fluttered, as he reached and rubbed his chest

"No matter how much heart ache, no matter the pain... he is the only one I will ever love... the only one I will ever want to be with"

Before Hua Ying made any sound, Lan Zhan looked up and saw him. After some hesitation, he walked over with a darkened expression. He could almost see scarlet streaks of blood by the corners of Lan Zhan's eyes. He had to admit... Lan Zhan's face really did look quite scary. However, having taken only one step back, his ankle twisted, and he seemed as if he almost collapsed on the ground. With a change in expression, Lan Zhan hurried over and tightly gripped his wrist like what he did last time, back in Dafan Mountain. After Hua Ying had been steadied, Lan Zhan knelt down on one knee to examine his leg.

You don't have to do this. Said Hua Ying shocked

Lan Zhan raised his head slightly, the pair of light-honeyed colored eyes boring into him, then looked down again and continued to roll up the leg of his trousers. His entire leg was covered with the black bruise of the curse mark.

If I said I'd return then I will return Lan Zhan, I have no choice. You scared me that's all said Hua Ying

After staring at it for a while, I only left for a few hours. Lan Zhan spoke bitterly

A few hours are a long time. Anything could have happened. There, there. Straighten up. It's only the average Curse Mark. We can just kill it when it comes to find me. Have you caught the person? Is it him? Where is he now? Asked Hua Ying

Lan Zhan looked in the direction of a signboard that stood in front of a shop far down the street.

Let's deal with the stone castle issue first. Hua Ying said as he started walking toward the shop. He didn't notice before, but his leg felt a bit numb, probably from Zidian. It was a good thing that Jiang Cheng controlled Zidian's force so that he wasn't made into a scorched corpse that had been struck by lightning.

Lan Zhan stood behind him.

Wei Ying, he called

Hua Ying closed his eyes this wasn't the name he wanted to hear on anyone's lips again at least of all Lan Zhan's. What? he called as he turned around and face Lan Zhan

This was transferred from Jin Ling's body, was it not. You met Jiang Cheng. Stated Lan Zhan

As long as both of us are alive in this world, we'd meet for sure, sooner or later. I have always been Hua Ying, Lan Zhan. Wei Ying was to honor my deceased mother and father and since I have died that name has died too. Replied Hua Ying sadly

Do not go said Lan Zhan

If I don't go, how am I supposed to leave? Are you going carry me on your back or something? Asked Hua Ying

Lan Zhan looks at him in silence as Hua Ying suddenly remembered that he had offered and once carried Lan Zhan in his back.

Stop, stop. I wasn't being serious. It's only numb because I got hit by Zidian a few times, not that it broke. It'd look bad for a full-grown man like me to be carried on somebody else's back. Said Hua Ying as he saw Lan Zhan kneel in front of him

Would it look bad? Asked Lan Zhan

Would it look good? Asked Hua Ying men only carry women around not even homosexuals wouldn't be so brazening he said as he blushed

After a moment of silence, but you have also carried me on your back before. Said Lan Zhan

Did such a thing ever happen? Why don't I remember? Lied Hua Ying

You never remember such things. Said Lan Zhan

I'm not letting you carry me on your back. Said Hua Ying firmly

Are you sure? Asked Lan Zhan

I'm sure. Said Hua Ying as he turned around and started walking. Suddenly, one of Lan Zhan's arms wrapped around his back and, as Lan Zhan bent down slightly, another went toward the back of his knees.

Being in his mortal demon ghost form Hua Ying was lighter than he was previously when he was human. Therefore, he was picked up easily, his body was embraced, in a pair of firm arms. Hua Ying didn't expect his answer to lead to this at all. Remembering the time when Lan Zhan had actually surprised him in the past when they were on the threshold of the Jingshi.

Lan Zhan, you can't... put me down cried Hua Ying

Carrying him, Lan Zhan both walked and replied to him steadily, you said that you didn't want to be carried on my back. This is the only other way of being carried

I didn't say that I wanted to be carried like this either. Pouted Hua Ying as he wrapped his arms around Lan Zhan

Be still said Lan Zhan

Fortunately, it was already late into the night. There weren't any people walking on the streets, so it wasn't that embarrassing. Having been carried for a few steps, he quickly relaxed. He grinned as he played with the front of Lan Zhan's clothes, pretending to tug at it.

So, you want to see whose face is thicker? Asked Hua Ying as he smiled, continuing playing with Lan Zhan's clothes as his cold sandalwood scent enveloped Hua Ying, Lan Zhan you knew at Dafan mountain already who I was right?

Yes, replied Lan Zhan

How could you tell? Asked Hua Ying

Lan Zhan looked down and stared into his eyes, do you really want to know? he asked

Yes. Said Hua Ying thinking about the comment that Jiang Cheng made on his body.

You told me yourself. Said Lan Zhan

Myself? Because I summoned Wen Ning? Said Hua Ying

Think. Replied Lan Zhan

I only asked you because I can't think of the reason. Besides after getting caught by, you my eyes would be a giveaway but what made you recognize me, I do not know said Hua Ying.

I did recognize you by your eyes yes but it was something else that drew me replied Lan Zhan as he stepped into the Inn, the clerk choked on some water as he saw Hua Ying was intimately in Lan Zhan's arms. He walked up the stairs and as they reached the door to the room Hua Ying finally spoke up

Alright we are here now, please put me down so that you can open the door said Hua Ying

Holding Hua Ying tighter refusing to let him even untie his hands, Lan Zhan did something he had never done in his life, he kicked the door open and walked inside

As two doors sprang open, and the person who sat nervously inside instantly wailed, second master Lan, I don't know, I don't know.... A-Ying?

A-Sang? said Hua Ying as Lan Zhan placed him on the bamboo mat the took a seat next to him, wow, so you're the head shaker he laughed

A-Ying! Nie Huaisang cried, as he flew onto Hua Ying holding him tight.

A-Sang, calm down what happened, what's going on and why is it you that's in the middle of this mess asked Hua Ying as he pulled Nie huaisang off

Brother died A-Ying. They said it was Qi deviation, but I know that's not true he couldn't have but I saw it he was in a rage, his orifices bleeding, when the trouble started you were sleeping. A-Frayer did what she could to help. Then when he died his body disappeared, I searched but I couldn't find it? Said Nie Huaisang as he cried harder, you promised you'd be there if I was in trouble and you weren't, you were asleep because they hurt you, I'm sorry.

So, it was you? Said Hua Ying as he changed into his female form to start healing

I'm sorry but yes it was and by the looks of it, it not only failed but it also worked said Nie Huaisang sniffing

A-Sang, my family said I was sleeping for a reason I had no memory. Of anyone and when I did, I didn't want to come back, I was happy in part but to use the boy that was selfish and you know it. Now tell me about the ridge said Hua Ying. As Lan Zhan revealed the piece of fabric that the dog had bitten off and placed it on the table in front of them.

I just happened to pass by, I really don't know said Nie Huaisang

A-Sang, we've known each other for years now, I know who you are... fine then I'll talk said Hua Ying as Nie Huaisang kept silent

In the area of Qinghe's Xinglu Ridge, there have been rumors of the 'Man-Eating Ridge' and 'Man-Eating Castle', but there haven't been any actual victims, which is why it's mere hearsay.

The hearsay would make it so that normal people avoid the Xinglu Ridge. Thus, its real function is to act as a defense line, the first one, in fact. If there's a first, there must be a second. The second defense line is the walking corpses on the Xinglu Ridge. Even if someone who's not scared of the Man-Eating Castle rumors either purposely or accidentally went inside the ridge, after they see the walking dead, they will definitely flee. However, these walking corpses are small in number and weak in terms of power, so they won't cause any real harm. The third defense line is the maze array by the stone castle. The first two are to defend against normal people; only this one is to defend against cultivators.

But, nevertheless, it only works against average cultivators. If a cultivator who holds a spiritual weapon or dog and specializes in maze arrays comes, or a cultivator as powerful as second master Lan or someone such as me, this defense line will have to be broken. The three defense measures exist in order for the stone castle on the Xinglu Ridge to remain hidden from the public. The identity of the people who built the stone castle is quite clear.

This is the Nie Sect's area. Aside from the Nie Sect, nobody else is capable of easily setting up these three obstacles in Qinghe. And, moreover, you happened to appear near the stone castle and leave evidence. Explained Hua Ying, my question is why neither you or Nie Mingjue told me of this A-Sang I could've helped... you know I would've helped.

That's exactly why we hid it from you! With you having so much on your plate before and after that happened, we thought it best just to continue with the tradition said Nie Huaisang

What exactly is the Qinghe Nie Sect's goal of building the Man-Eating Castle on the Xinglu Ridge? Where did the corpses in the wall come from? Were they eaten? A-Sang, if you don't give us a proper explanation here, Lan Zhan is going to destroy the place said Hua Ying and I will help him. Those voices A-Sang it's the same as it was before, said Hua Ying

The... the same... I am sorry... It isn't a Man-Eating Castle at all. It's... It's just my sect's ancestral burial ground! Before I explain please hear me out and no one should find out the truth please begged Nie Huaisang

Hua Ying looked at Lan Zhan who nodded and then he looked at Nie Huaisang, I have never not once breathed your secrets to anyone, so what is the man-eating castle and how come you've kept it a secret? said Hua Ying

It has. Eaten people that's where the story came from but it was only once! And the one at fault wasn't our sect, and it was dozens of years ago! The rumors of the Man-Eating Castle on the Xinglu Ridge also started since then. I... I only fanned the flames and magnified the rumors. You know that we, the Nie Sect, are different from the other sects. Because our sect's founder was a butcher, the other sects cultivate using swords, while our sect, on the other hand, cultivates using sabers. Said Nie Huaisang

Yes, and you way of cultivation is closer to that of demonic but it is not... you use the lives of beasts and evil spirits instead of human lives, I know this A-Sang. Replied Hua Ying

Because our cultivation method was different from those of the other sects' and our founder was originally a butcher, it was only natural for blood to be shed. The sabers of our past sect leaders were all heavy with hostile energy and killing intent. Almost every single sect leader met a sudden death from a qi deviation explosion.

Their irritable tempers also had a lot to do with this A saber spirit only deems one person as its master, allowing nobody else to use it. It's not like we later generations can melt the sabers. First, it'd be disrespectful to the ancestors; second, it's possible that even melting them won't solve the problem. As the generations went on, the sect leaders had higher levels of cultivation, and the problem also worsened. That is, until the sixth sect leader came up with a solution. He built two coffins for his father's and his grandfather's sabers, then dug a tomb. Inside the tomb, instead of any valuable treasures, he put hundreds of corpses that were about to transform.

Lan Zhan frowned slightly.

Nie Huaisang immediately blurted, second master Lan, I can explain! They weren't killed by our sect's people! We had to gather them from place to place! We also bought a bunch of them at high prices. The sixth sect leader said that, if the saber spirits wanted to fight with evil beings, then give them evil beings for them to fight forever. The pre-transformation corpses were buried along with the sword-containing coffins, like they were burial goods for the saber spirits. The saber spirits would suppress the transformation of the corpses and, at the same time, the corpses would calm the sword spirits' desire and fury. The situation would go on as they were, with the two sides keeping each other in check. Only by this method did the future generations attain peace.

Then why was a stone castle built afterward? Why were the corpses buried inside the walls? And, didn't you say that it did eat a few people? Asked Hua Ying

These questions are actually the same question. I guess... you can say that it did eat people. But it wasn't on purpose!!! Our sixth sect leader constructed the saber tomb in such a way that it looked like the average tomb, and the future generations followed how he did it.

But, about fifty years ago, the tomb was dug up by some grave robbers. For an event as big as building a tomb, no matter how cautious and discreet one can be, it's impossible for everything to stay hidden. The grave robbers pried into the matter and firmly believed that there was a huge tomb from past dynasties in the Xinglu Ridge. They planned this out a long time ago and came prepared. Among the unruly group of people, there were actually one or two who had true skills, allowing the mob to locate the orientation, pass the maze array, and find our saber tomb.

They've seen enough dead people in their lives, so, after digging a hole and entering the tomb, they weren't really scared of the corpses. But they searched everywhere for gold and treasures, breathing next to the corpses, and, even worse, they were youthful men in the prime of their lives, filled with yang energy. Remember, the corpses lying inside were all about to transform! It wasn't hard to figure out what happened. Ten-or-so corpses transformed immediately. However, these grave robbers weren't average people.

With a complete set of tools, they actually managed to somehow kill the walking corpses once more. After the fight, there was flesh and blood all over the ground. They finally realized that the tomb was dangerous and got ready to leave. But just as they were leaving, they were eaten! The number of corpses put in the tomb was strictly controlled. It was neither more, neither less, just enough to be at a balance with the saber spirits. It would've been fine if the grave robbers caused just the transformation, since, after they left, the saber spirits would've suppressed the transformation again. But, with the chaos they caused, the corpses were all cut to pieces, and so there were suddenly a few less corpses than it began with.

For the saber tomb to ensure that there were enough fierce corpses and sword spirits to suppress each other, it... it could only... close itself off and trap them inside the tomb for the group to make up for the shortage they had caused. Since the saber tomb was destroyed, the sect leader at that time began to think of different methods. He chose another spot on the Xinglu Ridge and built a saber hall instead of a saber tomb. In case grave robbers came again, he hid the corpses inside the walls in disguise. The sword hall was the rumored 'Man-Eating Castle'. When the grave robbers came to Qinghe, they pretended to be hunters. They never returned after going into the Xinglu Ridge and left no corpses behind, so people started to say that they were devoured by a monster in the ridge.

Then, after the stone castles were built, before the new maze array was set up, a passerby accidentally came upon it again. Luckily, no doors were built on the castles, so he couldn't venture inside. But, after leaving the ridge, he told everyone that there were a group of strange, white castles in the Xinglu Ridge and that the man-eating monster must have dwelled there. We thought that it'd be beneficial for the rumors to spread so that nobody dared to go near the area, so we exaggerated a bit and created the legend of the 'Man-Eating Castle'. But it really can eat humans! Said Nie Huaisang as took out a handkerchief and a white stone the size of a garlic head from within his sleeves. He used the handkerchief to wipe away sweat and passed the white stone over, the two of you can take a look at this.

Hua ing took the stone. After having a better look at it, he found something white that protruded from the stone. It looked like... the bone of a human's finger.

So, when Jin Ling blasted through the wall, he accidently destroyed a skeleton your ancestral tomb decided to take his life as compensation, A-Sang do you what would've happened if Jin Ling died? Asked Hua Ying

A-Ying I understand that's why when I heard that he was hunting I decided to check it out but the dog wouldn't let me in and tried to bite me then you and Second master Lan came out then he came after me said Nie Huaisang

A-Sang your secret is safe with us smiled Hua Ying

I am glad you are back said Nie Huaisang

I am not back I just happen to have a responsibility then I am taking Mo Xuanyu and going home said Hua Ying

Then can I come see you from time to time? Asked Nie Huaisang

The way has always been open for you; you know this said Hua Ying

Then I shall take my leave said Nie Huaisang as Lan Zhan got up and walked him to the door. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 68.5K 182
Lan Wangji felt tingles and happiness when he first saw the soulmark on his wrist. He was finally going to find his soulmate, he was going to find hi...
20.6K 859 11
[ discontinued ] An au fanfic of Xie Lian accidentally took over 9 years old Wei Wuxian's body before Jiang Fengmian took him to Lotus Pier. He happe...
115K 8K 29
[First place winner Eunoia Awards WangXian category July 2021] After being apart for years, Lan Zhan and Wei Ying are reunited, finally starting thei...
60.9K 3.7K 26
This is a story that take place after Wei Ying and Lan Zhan got save from the slaughter Xuanwu cave. When Lan Zhan and Jiang Cheng went to go find We...