The Bird and the Garden 2: Re...

By SecretMinty

The second book of The Bird and the Garden, taking place after the Good Ending. With Y/N and Vao's lives havi... More

Chapter 1: New Beginnings
Chapter 2: It Lives
Chapter 3: Beacon
Chapter 4: The Initiation
Character Introductions
Chapter 5: A New Life
Chapter 6: Class
Chapter 7: Shadows Creep
Chapter 8: It Begins
Chapter 9: The Murder
Chapter 10: Revelation
Chapter 11: Recovery
Chapter 12: Upcoming Events
Chapter 13: The School Dance
Chapter 14: The Club
Chapter 15: Forbidden Knowledge
Chapter 16: Verde's Secret
Chapter 17: There Will Be Bloodshed
Chapter 18: Kill
Chapter 19: Uncovered Truths
Chapter 20: The Beginning
Chapter 21: Innsmaw
Chapter 22: Insanity
Chapter 23: Vytal Festival
Chapter 24: Paradise
Chapter 25: Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 26: Vao Versus Ruby
Chapter 27: Nightmares
Chapter 28: Rain Over Innsmaw
Chapter 29: Withdrawn
Chapter 30: Escape
Chapter 31: Making a Mistake
Chapter 32: Hell
Chapter 33: Everything is Wrong
Chapter 34: Fugitives
Chapter 35: Interview
Chapter 36: Vale News Department
Chapter 37: Lisa Lavender
Chapter 38: Sasha, Part One
Chapter 39: Sasha, Part Two
Chapter 41: Memories
Chapter 42: The Training, Part One
Chapter 43: The Training, Part Two
Chapter 44: War on Vale
Chapter 45: Salem, Part One
Chapter 46: Salem, Part Two
Chapter 47: Salem, Part Three
Chapter 48: Evil's Reality
Scrapped Ideas
Epilogue: Don't Leave Me

Chapter 40: Questions

43 4 2
By SecretMinty

Y/N wandered aimlessly down the halls of Beacon, with no destination in mind. He didn't want to do anything in particular; especially not apologizing when he felt he was in the right. In his eyes, he had every right to be angry. He sighed, quietly sliding his hands into his pockets as he passed by familiar sights. The halls were empty; students were in their classes, living their lives quietly - normally. Something Y/N desired, but knew he could never achieve again.

A row of lockers was to his left. This was where he and Vao would sometimes hang out between classes. It was also the hotspot for Vao's drug dealing, as much as it got on Y/N's nerves. But now... He missed that.

And here in the hall he walked, he would sometimes chat with Weiss about their next assignment, with Verde correcting them on mistakes or things they didn't write down in the previous class. Those were the days Verde was still alive, and Y/N and Weiss were on good terms.

He stopped at a window, staring into the Beacon gardens below. Down there, he'd relax among the flora every now and again with Sasha. But that was before he discovered she was a child soldier.

He realized how much he missed his earlier days of Beacon. Back when things were lively, exciting. When the world was much more colorful, before he had been exposed to the horrors of the abominations, before his best friend, his brother, was blown to pieces for a reason he didn't even understand. He sighed again, a lump growing in his throat. What did Salem want with him? Verde said something about revenge. Revenge for what?

He turned and leaned against the window, reaching for his cigarettes. But when he opened the box, he found it empty. He stuffed the trash back into his pocket. Maybe he really should quit smoking. He was already finding himself craving for another smoke. He rolled up his sleeve, staring at his prosthetic.

Could he even use his magic with it? He focused on the artificial limb, relaxing his breath. And soon, a faint glow appeared at his metallic fingertips. At least that eased his mind. If what Verde said was true, then his magic was the only thing that could hurt Salem without the need to consume it's Blood, or to become an abomination himself.

He slumped against the wall until his metallic backside touched the floor, sitting alone in the empty corridors. His thoughts were racing. Would his magic really be enough? Sure, it had been effective against Verde's abominations. But would it be the same against Salem, something that wasn't even human? The sheer weight of it began to sink on his shoulders, crushing him into the floor. This wasn't like the Grimm he trained to fight when he attended Beacon - this was something worse. So, so very much worse.

He thought back to the abominations Verde had created. He remembered their awkward, unnatural movements. Something like that shouldn't exist - biologically it was impossible for them to even be alive. He remembered what Verde did to Dove, to animals. Changed their entire appearance and internal functions into grotesque mockeries of life. His head was beginning to hurt just remembering them, just thinking about them. He let out a soft whimper, his hands moving to the sides of his head.

He felt like he had gone through this before. Why? Why did Salem sound so familiar? Even Vao had a distinct reaction whenever the name was uttered - he always complained about an odd sensation in his left eye. Did Salem do something in the First Timeline? With how important Verde had made the First Timeline sound, why did he and Vao forget?

On his own little rock of ignorance in the black void of the unknown, Y/N was beginning to drift away into the blackness, pondering the existence of the abominations, of Salem. The tendrils of madness began to take hold of him, squeezing with a gentle force, and then releasing the pressure on his mind only to repeat the cycle. Y/N hadn't even realized he had stood up and walked away, to the place he and Vao had gone with Weiss once two years before.

The library was silent when he stepped inside. The librarian had her elderly back turned to him as he entered noiselessly, staggering towards the back. And finally, he found what he was looking for.

The metal door seemed to absorb the light as he stared at it, a new lock holding it firm. Or, more like several locks. Seven locks held the door shut, barring entry. Y/N gave one a gentle tug, but to no avail. These weren't ordinary locks, he realized. When he looked at the keyholes, he quickly discovered they weren't normal keys, either. Some of them were biometric scans only, keeping anyone who didn't have the authority out. He tugged at it again, knowing it was pointless. And again. And again.

"... And what are you doing, Mr. Rose?"

Y/N didn't turn around. He already knew who stood behind him. He took a shaky breath, resting his head against the door. "... P-Professor Ozpin," he whispered softly.

Behind him, Ozpin loomed like an ominous shadow, all traces of his usual, friendly and calm smile vanished without a trace. "What are you doing, Mr. Rose?" He repeated. There was something intimidating in his voice, something that made Y/N's fingers tremble.

"... What... Is this door?" Y/N asked quietly.

He could hear Ozpin take a sip from his hot chocolate, licking the excess liquid from his lips. "Do not take me for a fool. You know this is the door to the library's restricted section," he almost whispered. "Two years ago, we had to replace the locks after thieves broke in. Would you... Happen to know anything about that? Mr. Rose?"

It finally dawned on him. Ozpin knew. Y/N couldn't speak. His mouth had gone more dry than cotton. Ozpin, after waiting for a moment, continued. "You could face life in prison, or even receive the death penalty for this, Mr. Rose. Stealing classified information from a Hunter Academy is... A very serious crime. It is considered treason all across Remnant." Y/N could hear Ozpin's footsteps drawing near, until his chocolate-scented breath tickled his ear. "... But you're a special case, Y/N. I knew you would eventually come here, and so I waited. Why don't we continue this conversation behind closed doors?"

Y/N shakily nodded, stepping out of the way as Ozpin began to unlock the iron door. He didn't even realize just how complex this security system was. Fingerprint recognition, iris recognition, it was truly made to keep anyone without authorization out. And when Ozpin came to the final lock, he tapped the head of his cane against it. Y/N could hear the mechanical whirring or the lock as it scanned Ozpin's weapon, finally clicking open. The headmaster pushed the door open, stepping aside to let Y/N pass. The katana-wielder shuffled inside, his pace drastically decreasing. And when he was inside, Ozpin followed and closed the door. The sound of the locks clicking back into place echoed in the restricted section, leaving them trapped in pitch darkness.

Fwick.

The sound of a match striking caught Y/N's attention. The small flame illuminated Ozpin's hand and nothing more as it moved through the darkness, a lantern soon alight. Ozpin's face was barely visible as he turned to Y/N with the lamp in hand, holding it between them.

"... Do you think I didn't notice, two years ago? When you, Weiss, Sasha, and Vao broke in? Or did you not think that the restricted section was too easy for Vao to break into, only needing to pick a lock?"

Y/N was internally admitting that. He felt like an idiot. As severe as a crime as stealing classified information was, it had been far too easy. Ozpin hummed thoughtfully.

"You know, Vao was the one who asked me about the restricted section. Where it was, the penalty someone earns when they break in..." Of course Vao would ask that. Then why didn't Ozpin stop him there? The headmaster would tell him. "I told him it was expulsion, nothing more. And then I changed the lock. Do you know why?"

Y/N shook his head slowly. Ozpin leaned forward, his lips curling into an eerily soft smile. "... Because I was curious. Curious if you remembered the First Timeline. I knew those books would be safe enough in your hands."

The First Timeline. Just how much did Ozpin know? The headmaster walked past Y/N, taking a small glance back as if telling the young man to follow him. As they slowly walked through the aisles of dusty, chained books, Ozpin continued in his soft, quiet voice. "We retrieved those books shortly after Verde died. They're here again in the library," he spoke. "And after we watched you for a moment longer, we came to the conclusion that you don't remember the First Timeline, even after exposing yourself to this forbidden knowledge."

"W... What is... The F-First Timeline...?" Y/N whispered. Ozpin suddenly stopped, his hand reaching out and plucking a book from it's place on the shelf, showing Y/N the title. There was no doubt about it - it was the same book that had scared him two years ago.

'Y/N Marigold Xiao-Long, Vao Dusty Branwen, and Salem', the title read. Ozpin set the lamp down and opened it up.

"You read this book, but did not believe it," Ozpin commented. "However... This is no joke, Y/N. Did you not realize its truth when you first used your magic?"

Y/N finally snapped, his fears getting the best of him. "H-how much do you know...?" Despite his trembling voice, Ozpin remained perfectly calm, tranquility shown in his expression.

"... I know everything, Y/N. I've been watching you and Vao since you started coming to Beacon, because I was fearful that Salem had possessed one of you. After all, it would not let that humiliation slide."

"What humiliation!? What did Vao and I do!? What are you talking about?"

Ozpin sighed, sliding the book back into it's place. "... Follow me."

He didn't wait for an answer. Y/N had no choice, his body trembling as he followed Ozpin. The headmaster waved the lamp slowly in the air, illuminating the shelves. "... I do not know how to make you remember, Y/N. The world has never been reset before. But I won't give up. The most I can do... Is tell you what I remember."

The headmaster stopped in front of two chairs that leaned against the bookshelves, pulling them so they'd face each other before sitting down and gesturing for Y/N to do the same. The katana-wielder eyed him warily, his metallic behind clunking against the wood. Ozpin took another sip from his hot chocolate before setting it down on the floor. Did he ever run out? The headmaster turned towards the shelf and wiggled his fingers as he scanned the rows and rows of books, finally picking one out. He held it up to Y/N.

'The First Timeline'.

"Th-that's..."

Ozpin nodded curtly, opening it up. "... I suppose it's more of a blessing you do not recall the First Timeline, Y/N. It is not something I enjoy remembering."

"What is the First Timeline?" Y/N whispered hoarsely. "I'm always hearing about it! Verde was the only one who knew what it was, and she could hardly describe it." Ozpin nodded slowly.

"... Verde could not explain it because it is very difficult. The easiest word to use when it comes to the First Timeline is... Hellish. You were cruel and abusive, and hell-bent on doing whatever it took to save the world, including murder. The First Timeline was far, far worse, Y/N." Ozpin looked up from the book, peering over his glasses at him. "... Do you recall your nightmares? The ones Port mentioned?"

Y/N shook his head. "No."

Ozpin hummed thoughtfully, taking a sip from his hot chocolate before setting the mug back down. "... Please wait a moment." He began to flip through the pages before Y/N could even blink, finally stopping on a specific page and reading the words aloud. "'Vao Dusty Branwen, the Puppet of Salem'," he declared. "Tell me, does that ring any bells?"

It didn't, and Ozpin could tell. He sighed, reading off the page. "'A monster who had long forgotten himself, residing under Salem's grasp. A cannibal who slaughtered and devoured over half of the world's population. Sentenced for a public execution that would be broadcast to the entire world'." Ozpin closed the book, setting it down on his lap. "In the First Timeline, you fought Vao. He killed everyone you loved. Ate your family-"

"Vao isn't like that!" Y/N snapped. "Fuck! Why does everyon-"

"Don't raise your voice to me!" Ozpin bellowed. Y/N shrank in his seat as the tall man stood up, his brown eyes staring hard at him. "Remember, Y/N! If you don't, you stand no chance against Salem, even in its weakened state! So remember! Remember the First Timeline! Remember this!"

Ozpin had snatched the book back up, flipping it to the page he had read. On the parchment was a drawing. Something that could have even put Verde to shame. It was as if he was looking through a window.

There was no doubt about it. It was Vao, but older, more scarred, and his face was twisted in blood-freezing pain. Y/N shivered, a small sense of familiarity coming back to him. But he couldn't remember - an outside force prevented it. Ozpin sighed in defeat, lowering the book.

"... This is pointless," he muttered. "Perhaps they... No, no, they would have no reason to do so..." He was talking to himself, Y/N realized. He worried that Ozpin was genuinely crazy. Then again, everything was crazy. Monsters beyond human comprehension existed, Salem was out for his blood, and he was being hunted by an alarming variety of horribly strong villains. Everything was just... Crazy. Ozpin looked back up at him.

"... Do you have any questions for me, Y/N?"

Y/N looked down at his hands. And finally he nodded. "... That strange power I have... You call it magic, but... Magic isn't real. It's... Just a part of my Semblance... R-right...?"

Ozpin shook his head. "It is not. It is magic; something only you, Vao, and four women possess in this world. It is a highly guarded secret - one that our enemies are very aware of. In fact, you and Vao, your magic is special; it is the only thing capable of killing Salem. Put together, that is."

Y/N felt his heart stop beating. "T... T-together...?"

Vao was dead. And if he could really use magic, then that would mean Y/N didn't stand a chance against Salem. Not by himself. Ozpin seemed to catch on to his fears.

"After the Timeline was reset, Salem was weakened," he assured. "It would take great effort, but I am certain your magic alone would be enough... But you'd need a direct hit to a vital place. I am not sure where that would be."

That didn't help. Y/N sighed, running his hands through his hair. He was surprised his hair hadn't turned white at this point. Ozpin hummed, finishing off the rest of his hot chocolate before setting the empty mug back down. "... Any other questions?" He asked.

"... Can you... Train me?"

...

The parasite watched as Iris slammed the chair against the floor, the wood splintering to millions of pieces. His usually joyous expression had been replaced, now tainted with fury. The King had never felt so angry in his life.

"That little impoverished twat!"

Ruby sighed, resting her head against her palm, her black eyes watching the King's every move as he threw whatever he could lift - whatever wasn't bolted down. She took a sip from her wine, setting the glass down on the armrest of the throne she sat in and stood to her feet, walking around the chaos. "... Quite a man-child, aren't we Iris?"

The King breathed heavily, sweat sticking to his beard. "That... That foul, disgusting... He killed my daughter," he panted. Ruby put her hands on her hips, a dark smirk crossing her lips.

"I warned you, did I not?" She mocked. "I loathe to admit it, but Y/N is crafty and quick on his feet, much like Vao. You underestimated him, despite my warning."

The King was silent. He knew she was right; Salem had told him that Y/N and Vao needed to be monitored. While Vao was killed by Salem itself, that left Y/N as the biggest threat to the King's dream. He growled under his breath, dropping to his knees tiredly.

"... Miss Salem, I... May I pose a question?"

"Ask away."

The King stared towards the window, out and over the dark, powerless city of Vale below. "... Y/N is still alive, right? Do you know where he is?"

Ruby nodded. "I do. But you will not be going. You will wait here-"

"I'm not standing around and letting him walk free!" The King bellowed. He stood up to his feet, towering over Ruby's small frame. Ruby seemed vastly unamused. She leaned forward, her voice dropping to a deadly whisper.

"I advise you take a step back, human."

But the King was blinded by his rage. He was about to make the worst decision of his life, one that would expose him to the nature of this world. He grabbed Ruby by the front of her dirty, worn combat outfit and shook her, snarling into her face. "'Human'? You think you're a threat to me, girl!? I'm the King of Vale! I can have your head in a... A-a..."

The King felt his heart stop beating. Ruby was staring at him with wide, bloodshot eyes. Her mouth twisted open in agony as thin red trails began to fall from her tear ducts, her once black eyes slowly returning to silver, rolling back in her head. And as her jaws parted, Iris could see the swirling mass rising. He let Ruby go and took a terrified step back as the otherworldly monster rose from between Ruby's lips, easily towering over him.

A thin, bony hand with far too many knuckles and fingers caressed the side of Ruby's face lovingly, thousands of eyes staring down at her affectionately.

"I must depart for a little while, dear Ruby..."

Iris didn't understand a word of it. But what he did understand was the terror that flooded his body, paralyzed him as he stared at that thing. It slithered out of Ruby's body like smoke, the poor girl collapsing to the ground in a gargling, spluttering and sobbing mess. The beast towered over him, unable to stand up from a squat. It stood three times taller than the room if it rose to its full height. Its seven mouths moved individually, multiple tongues licking the pointed tips of rows upon rows of jagged, razor-sharp teeth. Thousands of eyes stared down at him as it loomed over him like a shadow. It spoke, this time with a clearer voice.

"I am Cnimbrerh, the one you call Salem," it hissed in a gravely yet smooth, quiet yet loud, feminine yet masculine voice. "I will overlook this just once, Iris. But I will not tolerate further disobedience; for I am a god."

The King felt his sanity beginning to crumble away like a slice of bread submerged in a bowl of water as he tried to process this thing. What was he looking at? What twisted mockery of nature was he staring at? The monstrosity slithered and stepped with slimy squelching noises, leaving behind thick, viscous black sludge as it seemed to inspect him. Now that it had moved out of the way, Iris could see Ruby. Not Salem's host - the real, living Ruby.

She was clutching the sides of her head, her fingernails dragging across her scalp as her eyes rolled around in her head wildly, rolling around on the floor in jerky, unpredictable movements. Tears spilled from her eyes, trickling down her bloodstained cheeks as she whispered and groaned in incoherent words filled with lunacy. Her silver eyes, the same eyes that once held curiosity and kindness in her childhood, were now dull and fearful, harbouring no will to live - and yet no will to die. Ruby was nothing more than a shell of her former self. She didn't live; she existed.

Salem slithered forward, it's unthinkable hand grazing against Iris's cheek. He wanted to scream, to run away from... Whatever it was. But his legs wouldn't move. His mouth would not move. He was frozen in primal terror, watching Salem with a white face.

"... Should you disobey me once more," Salem hissed in a guttural, inhuman voice. "I will never allow your dreams to come to fruition. I'll slaughter you, and feast on your disgusting body, and then desecrate your corpse and Kingdom. This is not a threat - it is a warning."

Iris nodded weakly, watching as Salem moved past Ruby, hovering towards the iron coffin that stood against the wall. Despite how heavy the lid was, Salem pried it open with ease - like lifting a feather. Vao's corpse was illuminated by the light, his skin beginning to turn blue. Salem hissed, climbing inside. Iris finally found the strength to lift his arms and shield his eyes, hiding the ritual from his sight.

He could hear the grunts from Salem, the scratches of its many clawed hands against the metal coffin, and the sound of its flesh being pried apart. And after well over twenty minutes, the sounds stopped. When the King lowered his hands, Vao's skin was back to the color it had been when he was alive - preserved by Salem, kept fresh despite having died two years ago. The monstrosity pulled the corpse from the coffin, cradling it gently as if it were precious.

"... Isn't it beautiful?"

Iris didn't know what Salem meant by that. He knew the words weren't directed towards him. He listened as the eldritch demon continued to ramble quietly to itself.

"My greatest creation, my greatest weapon... To think you would be useful to me twice... My favorite plaything..." It was talking to a corpse. And somehow, that was the most normal thing Iris was seeing. Salem pulled it closer, something resembling a chuckle escaping the depths of its illogical body.

"My little p̵̱̫̎͒͘u̷̬̺̥̿̉̄̒͗p̶̮͔͆͒̉͒͝p̵̡̹̼̜̾̑̈́́ͅe̵̼̓̌ẗ̶̟̦́̚̕ͅ."

...

Ozpin sighed, shaking his head. "... I would be more than happy to train you, Y/N. But I cannot. Not while Beacon still stands," he admitted. Y/N felt his hope beginning to break. But Ozpin was quick. "However, General Ironwood has taken it upon himself to train you in two weeks. I am not sure what he has planned."

"I-Ironwood...?" Y/N echoed. "Doesn't he have a military?"

Ozpin nodded. "He does. But under the guise of reinforcing relations with Beacon, he is able to remotely monitor the military, as well as focus on training you. Just... Be prepared. I have reason to suspect he will not go easy on you."

Y/N looked down at the ground, deep in thought. Ozpin sighed, standing to his feet. "... If that will be all, it is best you make amends with your family and friends-"

"Fat. Fucking. Chance."

Y/N didn't wait for an answer. He stormed out of the library, not bothering to look back. He didn't need another lecture about making friends. It didn't take long for him to run into someone he knew. Someone he really didn't want to talk to. He tried to step around her, but Raven blocked his path again. From the pink hue on her face, she had been drinking. Heavily. Y/N wondered if he was going to get beat up.

"Wait, I want to talk to you," Raven growled. Y/N groaned, running his artificial hand across the bridge of his nose.

"What?"

Raven crossed her arms, the whiskey bottle still held tight in her hand. "The fuck is wrong with you?"

"Me?"

"No, the other dumbass kid." Raven sighed. "Look, I've been trying to find you for the past hour. This whole, 'I can fight Salem myself' shit that you told your father, it ain't happening."

Y/N felt his blood beginning to boil again. "I don't need anyone," he growled. "Every time someone's with me, they die. Verde, Summer, they're both dead."

Raven leaned forward, snarling into his face. "And what about Vao? Didn't he try to square off against that monster by himself? What happened to him?"

That wasn't a topic Y/N wanted to be brought up. His face was beginning to turn red, the veins in his neck popping out. "You shut your mouth. I'm not Vao."

Raven took a step forward, moving her ear closer to Y/N. "... What did you just say to me?"

"Back off! I said I'm not Vao!" Y/N screamed at her. Students had begun to stare, but neither of the Hunters found it in them to care about it. This was personal. "Vao didn't think things through! He went in and just started fighting, like he's always done!"

Raven was a dark shade of crimson, grabbing Y/N by the collar with her free hand and jerking him off balance. "Vao gave it everything he had and still lost! He was better at fighting than you! He proved that when he floored your ass in a fist fight!"

"Let go of me! Like you actually cared about him! Think I don't know you were planning to run away back to your bandit clan until you had Vao!? Even then Dad had to convince you not to leave him and Yang! You stupid shitty excuse for a mom!"

That was the one thing Y/N shouldn't have said. Raven's eyes widened in fury, lifting Y/N off the ground and slamming him back down into the linoleum. The floor cracked under his weight as he wrestled free, drawing his katana. Raven drew her own weapon, pointing it straight for him. Y/N was shaken when he met her eyes. He had seen Vao anger Raven plenty of times. But that didn't compare to now. Raven was practically frothing at the mouth, her crimson eyes flaring with hatred.

"I'm going to make you fucking scream!"

She moved fast, almost too fast for Y/N to deflect her attack with his blade. Students screamed as sparks flew into the air, followed by the clashing of Raven's Omen against Y/N's katana. The nineteen year old couldn't even make an attack of his own - Raven gave him no time to attack, much less an opening. She reached her arm out and grabbed his shirt, throwing him over her shoulder. She slammed him against the lockers, pressing his face against the steel.

SLAM! SLAM! SLAM!

He could hear a loud ringing in his ears when Raven pushed him away, watching as he stumbled to the ground. The Huntress growled, kicking his katana out of his hands. The weapon bounced across the floor noisily, and once it was out of reach Raven sheathed her Omen and raised her fists. She snarled violently, like a cornered animal.

"You fucked around, now you're going to find out Y/N! I'm not your father! I'm not Sasha, or Weiss! I'm going to beat your whiny ass to a fucking pulp!"

Y/N staggered to his feet, wiping the blood from his lip, swaying on his feet. He knew he had a concussion. But at the same time, he didn't care. He spat on the floor, giving a sly smirk, bouncing on the balls of his feet as he took a stance. "Beating my ass won't give you a second chance at raising your kids. Let's go, bitch."

Students were cheering when he threw a haymaker at Raven, trying to break her nose. It didn't work. Not for someone with the experience level of Raven. She grabbed his arm and yanked, driving her elbow into his cheek. The skin split open as the teeth dug into the soft tissue, blood squirting from between Y/N's teeth. He tried to take another swing, but Raven ducked and drove her knuckles deep into his stomach. Y/N stumbled back again, feeling his food rising, and finally ending up on the floor. Raven had punched him hard enough to make him puke. He was beginning to think that fighting her was a mistake.

Raven hopped up and down, swinging her arms to the side and popping her neck. Without warning, she kicked Y/N's knee out from under him, and the moment he dropped to the floor she wound her leg back and sent him soaring over the spectators with a devastating kick that shattered his teeth. He landed next to his katana, grabbing the blade and charging back at his aunt. But Raven just laughed.

"Show me a good time, Y/N!"

He tried to swing at her, moving as fast as he possibly could. But Raven sidestepped it with ease, flipping him onto his back and stomping on his chest. He rolled to his feet, coughing loudly. He tried again, but Raven punched him in the throat. She was rocking his shit without her weapon. Y/N was beginning to see what separated himself from the professional Hunters. Raven had finished school, and had years of being a bandit backing her up. Y/N had less than two years of Beacon - not even close to enough. Raven snickered, holding her arms out to the side.

"Gotta question! Remember this fighting style?"

She dug into her pocket and threw something at him. The metal ball bounced off his chest, rolling on the ground before exploding and shrouding them in smoke. Raven had thrown a smoke grenade at him. He didn't have time to react when she came hurtling through the fog, a blur of legs striking him in the waist, the chest, and finally a heavy punch to his forehead that sent Y/N sliding across the floor. He swayed as he tried to stand back up, the room spinning around him. From the way she had moved, there was no doubt in his mind; her fighting style was similar to Vao's just then. Using the smoke to attack him off guard, kicking him off balance, and then sending him flying.

Raven stepped from the smoke, glaring down at Y/N spitefully. "You think Vao could have learned that from Signal? The fuck he could! I taught him to fight so he could make it into Beacon! So he could survive!"

"If... I-If it weren't for you..." Tears were spilling down Y/N's cheeks, his anger beginning to spin out of control. He gripped the sides of his head and leaned back, screaming at the top of his lungs. "Vao would have never turned out the way he did! You got him killed, you nasty piece of shit!"

Light exploded from his hands, activated by his anger as he charged at Raven again, swinging his fists. The Huntress dodged, his fists narrowly missing her. She wasn't too eager to find out what his Light could do. But if he wasn't holding back, neither was Raven. She rested her hand on the grip of her sword, taking a few steps back. Her lips curled back into a bitter snarl, her eyes flaring with excitement. The heat of battle was beginning to bring back the old Raven - the one she never let even Vao see.

"I'm only gonna warn ya once, Y/N. Back off, or I'll send you back to the repair shop."

She could see it when Y/N glared at her. He wasn't going to calm down. He was letting everything that was happening change him. She wouldn't have a choice, and she didn't feel sorry. Not after Y/N had disrespected her relationship with Vao - Y/N had no idea just how much Raven cared about Vao and Yang. Y/N charged forward with a scream, spit flying from his mouth. "I'll fucking kill yo-"

SLASH!

In an instant Raven drew her sword from its sheath faster than lightning, severing Y/N's prosthetic arm from his shoulder. The artificial nerves sent pain rocketing through Y/N's body, pain so hot that not even his adrenaline could nullify it. He nearly dropped to his knees, tears spilled from his eyes as he stared at the sparking metal stump. And when he looked back up, Raven was taking a stance. A smirk crossed her lips, her eyes narrowing. She wasn't going to kill him, he realized. She was going to make him scream, just as she promised.

Raven snickered darkly, jolting her weapon. Electricity sparked around the blade, crackling in the air. "Alright, fuckface... Let's dance!"

Y/N tried to deflect her blow, but the Dust that coated her weapon was sent down the steel of his blade, straight into his hand. His nerves tensed, the weapon clattering against the ground as he yelped. Raven swung her sword across his chest, his eyes unable to keep up with her speed. To him, it looked like she had only swung once. But the moment the blood began to ooze down his body did he realize just how fast Raven was. She had struck him several times, moving faster than he could ever hope to keep track of. The wounds exploded with fire, sealing shut underneath the extreme heat, bringing his voice to a shrill screech.

Raven kicked him in the chest, slamming the end of her weapon's handle against his forehead with enough force to send him flying backwards, cracking the wall behind him. The concrete gave way, sending him outside and skidding across the courtyard. Raven followed, flying through the air with her Omen held high. Y/N dodged just as the blade pierced the ground where his chest was only moments before, climbing to his feet and taking a shaky step back. He was feeling light-headed, his body searing with pain. He wouldn't last much longer. He focused his Semblance, desperate to win.

Raven pulled her sword from the ground, twirling it in her hand. before grasping the grip with both. She was taking another stance, her feet separated, the tip of the blade pointed diagonally. Her expression relaxed, giving way to a cocky smirk. Y/N stared, his eyes fixated on her. Her relaxed stance, her smirk, her confidence, he was beginning to see where Vao learned how to fight. Vao didn't learn to fight at Signal - he learned everything he knew from Raven. That was the secret to Vao's expansive knowledge of combat.

"We can stop any time, Y/N. You just need to chill out," Raven warned. "If you stand back up, I'll take it as a threat. Make your choice."

Y/N trembled as he stood back to his feet, raising his one hand. He spat out a tooth, growling violently. "You... Stupid... No good bandit..." He hissed. "What kind... Of parent thinks about leaving their kids...?"

Raven sighed, her grin falling, warping to a furious snarl. "You think I wanted that!? The Tribe was all I knew," she screamed. "I almost left... But when I looked at Vao and Yang, when I looked at them when they were babies, I couldn't. I didn't want to. I gave up everything I knew for them!"

BOOM!

The concrete shattered and flew into the sky when Raven bolted towards Y/N, her blade clashing against his. The sheer force sent Y/N hurtling backwards, his body crashing through a tree. He groaned quietly as he tried to stand back up, blood covering his eyes. He couldn't see. But he could hear. He could hear Raven approaching.

"You little rat faced bastard!"

Y/N wiped at his forehead - only to see Raven in front of him, her eyes blazing red. His aunt decked him in the mouth, sending him soaring into the air. She sheathed her weapon, holding out her hands and beckoning him forward. "Let's go. It's time someone chilled you the fuck out."

Y/N groaned weakly as he pulled himself back to his feet, his artificial knees wobbling. He felt very ill, and couldn't stand up straight. He hunched forward, puking out what little he had eaten. He was getting his ass handed to him. There he was, nearly beaten to a pulp, and Raven didn't have a scratch on her.

"M... Mom!? What are you doing!?"

He looked up to see Yang emerging from the crowd with Blake and Weiss in tow. The heiress shrieked when she saw Y/N, running to his side. "Y/N! What's going o-"

"Get the fuck outta my way!" Y/N screamed. He pushed Weiss down, picking his weapon back up and charging at Raven. He didn't care how badly she beat him. What mattered to him was winning. All he could see was Raven, focusing on the unarmed woman as he prepared his sword. Even if he was using his off hand, he wanted to win. To prove he didn't need anyone. He swung at her face, but Raven just stepped out of the way. Every swing, she dodged effortlessly, without so much as a drop of sweat. She reeled her fist back, her knuckles burying deep into his nose.

C-CRACK!

Y/N stumbled to the ground, his nose bent flat against his face. She had broken it. He growled, wiping the blood away and standing back to his feet. He swayed in place, seeing double. Raven popped her neck, stretching her arms out to the sides.

"That's what I'm talkin' about! Keep getting up, Bitch Boy!"

SLAM! SLAM! SLAM!

Y/N dropped to the ground when she punched him again and again, his breathing becoming ragged and labored. His Semblance was beginning to hurt him, working overdrive to heal his wounds. He staggered to his feet, leaning on his weapon for support. Raven arched an eyebrow. "Still standing? I can fix that."

"Mom, stop! He's already beaten!" Yang cried. But Raven just gently pushed her aside, drawing her weapon again. She held it out in a dueling stance, her smirk returning. Y/N growled, lifting his own katana. Weiss tried to intervene again, grabbing his arm and tugging him back.

"You can't even stand straight! Stop it, Y/N! You'll get yourself killed!"

"Let go of me! I can do it myself! I don't need any of you!" Y/N roared. "Let go of me, you useless bitch!"

Weiss was hurt by his words, her anger beginning to boil over. "You cynical asshole! Fighting alone is what got Vao killed!"

"Let... Go!" Y/N yanked himself free, nearly falling over his own weight. He staggered towards Raven again, swinging his weapon. The blade moved slow, his muscles screaming in pain. Raven stepped to the side, a snicker escaping her lips. "Oh. Did you want to practice first?" She teased. "Going to have to try a lot harder than that."

CLANK!

She struck his weapon with her own, knocking the katana out of his hands. The sword bounced off the ground, out of reach. She sighed, sheathing her weapon and putting her hands in her pockets. "Well? Throw your little temper tantrum like a three year old. I'll wait for you to tire yourself out."

Y/N swung his fist, Raven grabbing his wrist and driving her knee into his chest. Blood dribbled from between his lips as he stumbled again, dropping to his knees. No matter how much he willed it, his legs wouldn't move. He couldn't stand and fight. He could barely swing his arms. Raven pulled his hair, dragging him to his feet. She lowered her voice dangerously, locking eyes with him.

"You're done. You aren't fit to be a hero," she growled. She let go of him, watching as he fell into a crumpled heap. "You're a sack of shit, Y/N. Taking your anger out on the people you claim to care about, even putting your hands on Weiss. If Vao and Summer were here... I'd bet money that they'd be disappointed. That is, if Vao didn't just outright beat the fuck out of you."

Y/N groaned miserably, trying to pick himself up. But he no longer had the strength to move his arm. Raven turned on her heel and took a few steps towards his katana, picking the weapon up off the ground and inspecting the chipped and blunted blade. "... In two weeks, Ironwood will be training you and the others. Maybe that discipline will knock some sense into you. Maybe it'll be good for you, even," she commented. "... People die, Y/N. It's a part of life. No one is safe. Does it hurt? Yeah. It fucking does. When Vao died, I couldn't sleep for months. You can ask Yang or Bartholomew about that. Right, Yang?"

The blonde was hesitant, but nodded her head. She was unsure of what to think right now. She just watched Y/N run his mouth until Raven snapped. Raven finished inspecting the blade, tossing it over her shoulder. The katana planted into the ground next to Y/N, standing up straight. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a flask - Vao's flask, and took a sip from it.

"... You're still young, Y/N. You're dealing with shit you can't understand. I get that. But taking it out on your family and friends isn't right. We're all willing to go to hell and back with you, but it gets difficult when you lash out." Another sip. "... I'm done here. Don't ever talk shit about me or my kids. Talk shit, get hit."

She walked away, not even bothering to look back. Yang looked down at Y/N, her brow furrowing worriedly. "... What did you say to her...?"

Blake and Weiss were helping Y/N to his feet, struggling to hold him - his legs weren't functioning right; the wiring inside was damaged. "I... Told her she never loved you or Vao..." He breathed. "Because... She almost left you..."

Yang frowned, her eyes flooding with a light shade of red. "You told her that? What the fuck is wrong with you?" She growled. She grabbed the front of his shirt, tugging him towards her. "She was a wreck when Vao died. She kept calling me just to make sure I was okay. She's a hard ass, but you have no idea how much she actually cared. Vao and I love that woman to death, and she loves us. And you go and shit on it." She let go of him, taking a step back. "... You're an awful person, Y/N. Stay the hell away from me."

She followed after her mother, only looking back to give him the finger. Blake sighed, looking at Y/N. "... Come on, let's get you to the hospital. Russell already took your prosthetic there."

Y/N didn't answer. He was thinking. He felt like he was going crazy. Even as they reassembled his prosthetics, fixing the cut and destroyed wires, he didn't react. He was lost in his own mind. Was he really turning into a bad guy? He doubted it. After all, if he went after Salem on his own no one would be hurt. Nobody else would die.

And yet... The way he was acting... It reminded him of something, it felt familiar, but he didn't understand what it was. As he left the infirmary, he made his way back out to the courtyard, ignoring the stares he was getting from the students. His metallic feet clinked against the ground softly, his eyes focusing on the ground beneath him.

The Emerald Forest was dark when he reached the trees, the evening sun beginning to set. But he didn't stop. He continued to think, trying to figure out why he felt such a familiar feeling. And soon, his thoughts travelled to Salem.

It's mere existence was wrong. Whatever he had done in the First Timeline had severely pissed it off. But what did that have to do with him now? How does a timeline even reset? He couldn't come up with an answer - he only had questions.

His head was beginning to hurt as he recalled Verde's abominations. She claimed they were beautiful, and could bring her dreams of Paradise. He couldn't comprehend what her Paradise was. All he knew was it involved her and Vao living together under the influence of a Blessing... Or rather a Curse.

He thought back to her research. She discovered the First Timeline through her studies in the eldritch knowledge she was consuming, with the help of one thing... Y/N's hand slowly reached into his pocket, pulling out what he had kept hidden from everyone else. He had forgotten he even had it.

A steel vial, filled with the sinister black liquid - Salem's Blood. He unscrewed the cap, sniffing the viscous liquid curiously. It reeled, burning at his nose. He pulled away in disgust, shaking his head. Whatever Verde had seen, it had come from this. Y/N knew the risks; he could be driven completely mad, or even develop cannibalistic tendencies. But he was growing desperate. Desperate to find the truth. He gulped quietly, standing alone in silence, in the middle of the darkening forest.

He was scared. This thing was dangerous. He let out a shaky breath, tilting the vial to his lips - and letting the foul, sour-tasting liquid spill over his tongue. It took everything he had not to spit it out. As he swallowed, the sweetness nearly overwhelmed him. The aftertaste was good. Really good. He finished it off, wiping at his lips with his sleeve, staining the fabric black. At first nothing happened. But soon, he was hit with the worst headache of his entire life.

Clink.

The vial fell from his hand before he stumbled back, holding the sides of his head. His back pressed against a tree, his breathing becoming ragged. He felt it rising in his stomach, until it spilled out. Black liquid. It was as if Salem's Blood knew who had consumed it, trying to take over his body. He gasped for air, puking the foul liquid again. And then the world began to change. The sky brightened, but not its normal color. The shattered moon overhead was a deep shade of crimson, and the grass wilted away and died under his feet. He was beginning to hallucinate.

"W... Wha..."

His voice was shaky, filled with terror. And when he heard that awful noise behind him, his blood ran cold.

Grrrrrroooooooooowwwwwllll...

He spun around, and stared at the one thing that could ever bring his memories back. No, the one person.

Vao Dusty Branwen, Salem's Puppet. The same Vao, from the First Timeline.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

321K 7K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
15.9K 572 13
It's 1999, and it's been an year after the end of the second Wizarding War. It's 1999, and Sirius visits his brother's grave twenty years after he's...
1.1M 50K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
518 53 7
You're a Merc working with an undisclosed company that works closely with the government in the process of making portals to reduce the travel of sup...