Righteous - Bradley Bradshaw

By MickeyTheMess

Callsign: Skywalker Ranking: Lieutenant Status: Pilot Best Friends: Jake Seresin and Robert Floyd Wants as h... More

Top Gun
~Skywalker
~Dead?
~Graduate
~Above the Hard Deck
~As I live and breathe
~Good Morning Aviators
~Signature Move
~Cobra Maneuver
~Fireworks
~Explain Yourself
~I Ain't Worried
~Miracle numbers 1-3
~Saying Goodbyes
~Two Fifteen
~Is it terrifying?
~Talk to Me Dad
~Radar Warning
~Good Ideas
~Out of everything
~Flight Attendant
~Side Effects
~Land of the Living

~Meant for each other

777 15 0
By MickeyTheMess

very sad, potentially trigger warning. Talks of suicide  

After her talk with Jake, Oakley felt a bit better. She still didn't feel good about what was to come with this mission. The mission parameters aren't something every pilot comes back from. 

"Bradley? Could I talk to you outside?" Oakley walks out to the common room where everyone is just sitting around, talking. 

"Um, sure everything alright darling?" Bradley stands, following her outside. After closing the front door behind them, he joins her on the step. 

"So."

"So." 

"We leave for the mission tomorrow." 

"Right. And we still don't know whose flying." 

"Yeah. Can I say something?" Bradley nods, turning his knees so he faces her entirely listening. 

"Ok Um, I had genuine hate for you for a long time. I thought that you didn't like me, didn't want to be around me. I thought you had despised our time. But this past weeks, I see you have changed. You act like you want to be around me." Wiping the tears that fell, Bradley's heart broke all over again, thinking of the pain he inflicted on her. 

"Tomorrow, someone isn't coming home. If given the opportunity, you are coming home. If we both are up there, you are coming home. You deserve to be here. I want you to be here for the next mission." 

"No." 

"Bradley, please don't fight me on this. I have made up my mind." Oakley pleads. 

"No. I am not letting you take my place. You will not be another loss in my life. I already have way to many flowers I have to bring to that cemetery." Bradley stands up and starts pacing. Running his fingers through his hair, Oakley knows what he is going to say next. 

"I can't lose you. I can't let you go."

"But you have a life here, you have friends! All i have are scars and really scary PTSD that keeps me up every night because every time I shut my eyes, I'm back in that plane free falling." 

"You don't think you have friends?! What about Bob, Natasha, even Jake!" At this point, the level headed conversation has now become a screaming match. 

"They will be fine without me! They have been just fine." 

"No Oakley, that's not my point. You have friends, you have family. My family is dead! Gone! I am the one who deserves to die because I have nothing!" 

"Bradley, No. I am not letting you die! You mean to much to this world." 

"Oakley, I am not letting you go!" 

"Why?" 

"Because I love you!" Oakley stops short when Bradley yells.  

"I-"

"Oakley, I have loved you since the day we met, when you bumped into me and made that joke. That joke was so stupid but it made me fall in love. This is not up for discussion. You will come home. I will lay down my life if it means you come home!" 

"Bradley. If you love me, you will let me go." 

"I said this is not up for discussion." Bradley walks past Oakley, and into the house. 

Little did that couple now, is that the other young pilots heard the entire conversation and the conclusion they came to is that, they love each other very much but they shouldn't be allowed to fly tomorrow because one of them will die for the other.

Fanboy is just thinking about waking up early and how much he hates it. 

Walking out to the porch, Rueben sighs as he sees Oakley sitting there crying. 

"Hey, are you okay?"

"I don't know." 

"Hey Rooster!" Rueben yells. Bradley comes back outside with panic on his face. 

"What? What's wrong?" 

"Sit." He points to the step where Bradley obediently sits down. 

"Look you two. Do you realize what you were screaming at each other? It is very clear that you both love each other. Like abundantly. We get it, you both are too righteous to let the other one die. But you have to realize that you both are incredible pilots and will make it home. Me and the others will make sure of that." Looking at Bradley, Oakley sighs knowing Rueben is right. 

"And if I hear one more comment between you two until tomorrow, I will tie you to the porch. Off to bed, both of you." 

"Now!" Standing up, Oakley skips right to her bedroom with Bradley doing the same thing. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Getting dressed the following morning, the obvious tension in the house was very evident. It was like walking on eggshells. 

But, besides all that, Oakley put on her flight suit, preparing herself to die. 

'Bradley deserves to be here, I don't, he will be much better off without me.' 

Little did she know, in the room down the hall, the same though is running through Bradley's mind. 

It's almost like they were meant for each other. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once they got on the USS Leyte Gulf, they learned that Maverick had been chosen to be team leader, and that because of threats in the air, one more spot had been opened. 

"Are you ready?" Phoenix asked Oakley as she watched her get ready in silence for the meeting. 

"I don't know. I mean, I don't want to lose him but I am willing to lose my life for him."

"Man you are in love. But please don't die on me here." 

"I'll try for you." Oakley smiles as Natasha gives her a hug. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Standing in rows before Cyclone and Maverick, the pilots can't help but feel nervous. 

"It has been an honor flying with you. Each one of you represents the best of the best." Oakley watches as everyone takes in a breath.

"This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that and nothing more."

"Choose your two foxtrot teams." 

"Payback and fanboy. Phoenix and Bob." Oakley draws in a shaky breath as the panic for her friends set in. 

"Choose your backup." 

"Skywalker." Oh no. 

"And your wingman." 

"Rooster." 

"The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that's required. Dismissed." 

Not even congratulating her teammates, Oakley storms out of the room and runs down the hall. Making it to the end of the carrier, she stops as she looks down at the ocean. 

"No no no." Oakley sobs. 

"Oak tree!" She hears from behind her, footsteps coming running over. 

"I can't lose you, I'm sorry. I can't let you die." Falling into Bradley's arms, he pulls her close. 

"Hey hey, I'm right here. It's okay." 

"Listen to me. We are coming home. You got that?" 

"No no I told you." 

"Frankly my Darling, I couldn't care less." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Your target is a clear and present threat. A secret uranium enrichment site under rogue state control. It's an underground bunker, tucked between these two mountains. Your route of ingress is heavily defended by surface-to-air missiles backed up by fifth-generation fighters. Once your f-18 strike team crosses the border, tomahawk missiles from the USS Leyte Gulf will launch a synchronized strike on the enemy's airfield here. This will knock out their runway." This meeting was a little less formal since yesterdays one. 

You can tell because Bradley and Oakley haven't left others side. 

"But you'll have to contend with any planes already in the air. The moment those tomahawks hit, the enemy will know you're coming. Your time to target will be two minutes and 30 seconds. Any longer than that, and you will be exposed to any aircraft the tomahawks may have missed." Jake turns his head slightly and sees Oakley holding on to Bradley, like he will disappear that second. It's been a long time since he has seen a love like theirs. 

"This is what you've all been training for. Come home safely."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors note:

I am sorry for the sadness in this chapter. 

But if you ever feel like that, please know that your presence on this earth is needed and it won't be better off without you. 

You are needed. You are loved. You are worth it. 

If you feel like this, there is help available. 

:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

876K 25.2K 62
❝ i wanted you, you wanted me ❞ b. bradshaw x mitchell!oc top gun: maverick (2022) 🛩 lowercase intended © hollywillow-
14.3K 189 27
After experiencing traumatic losses in her aircraft, Ava vows to never touch a plane again. But what can she do when she meets the love of her life a...
65.2K 1K 16
Top Gun Stories and Imagines: Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw, Pete "Maverick" Mitchell. Requests currently open for Top Gun and TGM.
585K 12K 46
in which hate was easier than love. the yelling was better than kissing. and the pain was better than looking the other in the eye. a Kazansky and a...