Room & Board

By erudenedure

On Tumblr, Anonymous suggested: For the prompt submissions, a vampire that feels guilty after feeding/attack... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15: Vagina Version
Part 15: Penis Version
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22

Part 8

177 17 0
By erudenedure

After the ordeal of dealing with Jemma and setting up a cage for the gliders, the following weeks, ironically, were quiet. Or maybe you were just so laser-focused on finding a house, nothing else permeated your thoughts.

Tabaeus  and you continue the established feeding schedule. They still 'snacked'  when they could get away with it. However, they did honor your denials.  An unforeseen benefit of the sugar gliders was Tabaeus wasn't prone to  lonely wanderings to find you when you went to work. It was honestly a  relief. The day after he brought the new furry family members home,  you'd been so concerned they'd show up again. It was almost eerie when  they didn't.

Your real estate search also eventually bears fruit.

The  house you find, the one that calls out to you, is an old house, built  in the 1800s, with four bedrooms and two bathrooms. A lovely shade of  blue, with a large porch and fenced-in backyard. There's even two stone  gargoyles that keep watch from the stoop.

It is located  downtown, in an older part of the city. Which essentially means a  diverse neighborhood filled with old homes, remodels, renters, and  homeowners along with families, childless couples, and singletons.

With  two stories, plus a basement and attic, it's roomy enough for your -  grudgingly - growing family- ...er, roomateship? Plus there's a detached  garage and roomy kitchen with plenty of storage for appliances. Off the  dining room, a greenhouse is attached. The basement is unfinished, which  means Tabaeus is less likely to sleep there, but the freezer the  previous owner left behind made up for it.

Strangely, it  has been on the market for the better part of a year. Either no one had  placed an offer or the owner was excessively picky. Regardless, you  contacted your real estate agent and asked for a tour. You and Tabaeus  walked through the house, pointing out little things you liked and  little problems that would need fixing.

By the end,  however, the two of you agreed it certainly felt like home. From there,  it had been back-and-forth discussions, inspections, and negotiations.  It looked like the closing was on the horizon. Which meant gathering the  additional funds together for the house and closing costs was needed.

That led you to your current undertaking with Tabaeus. Which entailed the two of you bumbling about in the local sewers.

"Why in the world do you have a cache of treasure here?"  It's not the first time you ask the question and it likely won't be the  last. Every inch of your body is covered in clothing, plus a mask to  fight off the stench of the sewage. The acrid scent still manages to get  into your nose and you're certain you'll have to burn the clothes once  you get back to the apartment.

Tabaeus throws you a  look, as if to say 'Are you genuinely asking that of I, your amnesiac  vampire friend?' Their expression is no less stormy than yours.

They  are dressed in just as much as you, in a dark hoodie, their hair tucked  under the hood, and long pants and boots. Only their red glowing eyes  are visible above their mask. An odd comfort, you realize.

Your  expression doesn't falter and they sigh, shoulders slumping as they  turn their flashlight back down the corridor. "I honestly do not know. I  just know it is here."

"Well, hurry it up. We're not even supposed to be down here." You hiss, jumping out of the way of a rat scurrying by.

"Patience,"  Tabaeus sighs, swinging their lone beam of light to and fro. They're  mumbling to themselves, their gloved hand tracing the wall. There's no  way a hidden compartment or room is down here, you think. There's  literally no way. The city would know about it! And if the city knew  about it, it would've been pilfered a long time ago.

Something  pinged at Tabaeus's memory as they started to stride with more purpose.  You followed after them, weakly hoping this wasn't an utterly useless  endeavor. It would just figure that, once you pursued a house, your  vampire patron would run dry in finances. Or just not be able to find  their literal treasure trove.

You're not sure how they  managed to do it, but you watch as Tabaeus's touches a certain spot in  the wall and twists a nearby knob. For a breathless second, you tense,  waiting to hear the clatter of broken pipes or heightened water  pressure. But you hear the sound of metal and rock shifting and your  eyes widen as an entryway slides open in the wall.

Tabaeus  glances to you over their shoulder, a teasing smirk in their voice as  they hold out their hand to you. "See? The universe rewards those who  hold their tongue."

You accept their hand, but shoot  them a sharp look. It only makes their smirk broaden as they turn to  lead you through the darker-than-pitch corridor. Your heart pounds as  the world around you turns to deep shadows. There's no way to spy any  silhouettes or make out faint shapes of pipes or gaskets. It's all so  dark. And quiet. You don't even hear the skittering of rats.

It  grows even darker as the door slides shut behind you. You jerk, turning  to look, but only see a blanket of black. Fear dances in your stomach.

Sensing your apprehension, Tabaeus gives your hand a squeeze. "I am here."

"I  know," you mumble as you turn back around, your face flaring with  embarrassed heat. Their presence is part of the problem, though. They  are a vampire. They feast on your blood. And though you two have grown  closer, more amicable, you're worried where this all will end. It may  not be tomorrow or in the year or even in ten years, but Tabaeus could  always turn on you and then go on with their life.

Whenever you think of the disparate lifespans between you two, you find yourself wondering if you made a mistake.

"I believe this is it," Tabaeus says, rousing you from your thoughts. "Shield your eyes a moment."

You  do as they say, before you listen to Tabaeus fumble in the dark.  There's a click and you see lights flash behind your eyelids. Carefully,  you squint open your eyes, letting them slowly adjust. After a few  rapid blinks, your eyes widen.

It appears to be a huge  corridor, with a tiled ceiling - plastered with cobwebs - and arching  buttresses. Thankfully, it seems relatively dry, with no oozing sewage  to squelch underfoot. It's not until your eye catches the dip in the  floor, where railroad track is laid, that you realize this is an old  train station or, perhaps, a closed section on a route. You take a few  steps farther down the line. The lighting casts a slightly yellow tint  on everything in the vicinity. And there is certainly a lot in the vicinity.

Furniture,  racks of clothing, mannequins, shelving. It's a mishmash of things from  different decades, perhaps even eras. You try to peer down the  corridor, but the haphazard piles seem to go on forever with only  carefully carved paths between their bases. The mingling scent of dust  and mildew hang heavy in the air, along with rotting wood, but there's  perfumes you wouldn't expect. Faintly, you wonder if there's colognes or  potpourris in the mess of miscellany.

Tabaeus suddenly appears again at your elbow and you jump with a yelp.

"My  apologies," they say, offering you an awkward smile. At some point,  they had lowered the mask they wore and it hung beneath their chin. In  their hands is a large wooden box, an ancient latch on its side.

You nod to it. "What's in there?"

"Replenished  funds!" With a flourish, they open the lid to show off the contents.  Inside are more gold coins and jewelry and gems. Much of it looks about  the same time period as the other payments you've taken from them.

"Why  don't you live here?" The thought strikes you quick and you glance  around again. It is roomy and, with a little bit of elbow grease, you're  certain it can become a livable place. Heck, there was probably an old  abandoned train car somewhere further down the track. "I'm sure there's  enough things to live comfortably and you could probably head up top  for... food, when you need it."

You stumble when you think  of what Tabaeus would have to do to survive in this place. Without  thinking, you rub at the spot on your neck that has grown bruised from  multiple feedings. The courage to let Tabaeus feed from somewhere else  has yet to take root.

"There are a number of reasons,"  Tabaeus admits, closing the wooden box. Their shoulders hunch a little  as they gaze about, their fingers playing with the latch of the box in  their arms. "It is grimy and dusty. Not to mention rather isolating."

At  that last point, they wince. You can't help the curiosity needling  through your thoughts. Thus far, Tabaeus hasn't mentioned other vampires  nor anyone else for that matter. Even if his amnesia was a result of a  long sleep, you think there'd be someone they'd remember.

"Besides,  I have found I quite enjoy being in the presence of others. Especially  you." You focus on Tabaeus again. They smile crookedly at you, their red  eyes flickering from your gaze to your reddening cheeks. More than  once, Tabaeus has admitted to enjoying how your cheeks color.

Needing to break up the sudden warm heaviness surrounding you two, you scoff, "That's me, your little blood bag."

That draws Tabaeus's eyes back to your own, an ember in their red depths. "You're my amata trinkaĵo, actually."

"Oh,  yes, I've been upgraded to a drink instead of a bag," you snort and  roll your eyes. Tabaeus had actually taken to calling you Amata on  occasion. And each time, you shot them a dirty look. In return, they'd  only grin.

This time, however, Tabaeus's smile is soft  and a little sad. They notice your stare and instantly reel back,  clearing their throat as they cast their eyes about.

"Can  you hold this? I might be able to find other little bits that are  fairly valuable," they ask, holding out the wooden box to you. With a  nod, you relieve Tabaeus of the crate, grunting as you realize how heavy  it is. They don't seem to notice your struggle as they turn, off to  investigate further.

"Do you think you'll remember  anything if you poke around here?" The question comes so sudden and soft  to your lips, you almost think Tabaeus didn't hear it. But, they did,  and they stop suddenly, turning their eyes back to you. It's a  roundabout question that you hope will stir their memories or a nugget  of information to research. "There's got to be tons of memorabilia  here."

"I... do not know." A complicated expression  creases at Tabaeus's face, their eyes drifting from one item to the  next. It wasn't a complete refusal, though, and they wander toward an  old wardrobe. You watch as they pull out the drawers and shuffle through  them. Papers, knick-knacks, photos. Picking every little thing up and  examining it carefully.

"Some things stir memories,"  they admit, after a long few moments. You perk up, edging closer to  them, though your loot weighs you down. Tabaeus tilts a photo toward you  and you squint, looking over an array of faces frozen in time. "I feel I  know these people. As if I grew up with them, but I cannot tell you  their names or what year this was taken in."

They flip  the photo back into the drawer it came from, before pulling out another  paper. It looks like a letter, typed up on an old-timey typewriter. "And  this here. I recognize the name Reginald Taylor. He was a chemist at a  general store on Gooseberry Boulevard. Where that is, though, or how  long I knew him, I have not the foggiest."

With a sigh,  Tabaeus drops the note into its home drawer. With another look cast  about the corridor, creases of wretchedness continue to mark their  features.

"What is it?" You start to lift your hand to touch their shoulder, before realizing you're still hauling the gold around.

"There  are many bad memories," Tabaeus shakes their head, taking a few steps  away from you. Their expression is strained and you think you see their  eyes growing glassy, wet. "Deaths by feeding and other means. Blackmail.  Extortion. Cruelty."

You're not sure what to say, so you just remain quiet. Though your mind races with questions and theories.

It's  when Tabaeus speaks again, their words making your stomach lurch, your  worries solidify. "I... I do not believe I am a good person."

"What?"  Without thinking you take a step closer. Your heart pounds and a spike  of adrenaline has made you grow hot. A small fear of betrayal lashes in  you - they said 'am' not 'was' a bad person - but you hold it down.  "What did you remember?"

At that, Tabaeus's eyes dart  to your face. A pained expression crosses their features briefly, before  they manage to push it away. Their eyes draw away from you, their  shoulders hunching. "Must I speak of it?"

Boldly or foolishly, you take another step forward. Your voice hardens. "Am I in danger?"

"No, not from me," Tabaeus startles at the accusation, their eyebrows drawing upward. "Never from me."

You  press on, ignoring how a nervous flutter at those two words joins the  pounding of your heart." Do others pose a danger to me?"

Tabaeus's  lips pressed together, looking sad and wretched. Once more, their eyes  flicker away from you, their fingers fidgeting with each other. "That I am not sure of."

"I  would appreciate knowing whatever you know, Tabaeus." They flinch at  the hard sharpness in your tone, but it's something that has to be said.  Your mind is going a mile a minute, trying to confirm Tabaeus is a  threat or make excuses for them. The longer you look at the misery  dancing on his face, you sigh. "The memories may not be yours. They may  be that of those you've fed on. Or maybe you have some sort of tactile  memory powers."

That makes curiosity cut through their gloom. "Tactile memory powers?"

With a shrug, you try to explain as simply as possible. "It's like the ability to see memories tied to an object."

"Have you heard of such things?" Skepticism has Tabaeus's eyes narrowing, obviously not believing you.

"I  mean, in comics and stuff." Now it's your turn to shrug. You're  suddenly aware that you're still holding the box of valuables, your  muscles aching from holding it. "You're literally a vampire, so I figure  we keep our options open?"

"That is true." They do not  sound convinced, though. Their dismal gaze scans the room, the furrow  between their eyebrows deepening.

An awkward silence  falls between the two of you. Tabaeus quietly wanders off after a polite  amount of time, digging through items on the far side of the corridor.  Still holding the box of treasure in your hands, you're not entirely  certain what to do. Carefully, you set the valuables down on a larger  trunk. After letting your arms rest, you decide to poke about the area  yourself.

Half of your brain is looking for valuables or  anything of interest. Any old little oddity or fascinating book or  strange gadget. The other half is looking for information on Tabaeus.  Photos, documents, anything that may lead to information.

"I know you are searching ways to kill vampires." Tabaeus's words, coming from behind you, makes you freeze.

You  spin around, staring wide-eyed at Tabaeus. Suddenly, you are very aware  you are underground, in a hidden place only Tabaeus knows of. Without  thinking, your eyes dart around, hoping to scope out an exit. However,  your brain starts wondering if the mounds of items are hiding dead  bodies in their depths. Are those bad memories that keep Tabaeus from  living here actually the souls of his victims?

"My  apologies! I did not mean to startle you. I am not angry about it, I  understand the need to protect yourself," they rush to explain, their  own eyes widening as they realize how worried you were. You believe they  would raise their hands in supplication, if it weren't for yet another  box in their grasp. Warily, you stare at it, wondering what it could  hold.

"I recalled this being here. Tied to those awful  memories." Tabaeus mumbles before you can ask. Slowly, as if they were  approaching a scared animal, they hold the box out to you. It takes you a  breath to realize they're offering it to you to take. With lips pressed  tight together, you don't take the box, but instead flip the lid open.

As  you look at Tabaeus, a rush of confusion swarming your brain, they look  away. Their shoulders jerk, as if to hunch in on themself, but holding  out the box keeps them from performing the action.

"What  is this, Tabaeus?" With a shaking hand, you reach into the box and pull  out a wooden stake. It's old and gnarled looking, but there is a heft  to it that isn't like other modern day wooden items you've held. There's  other items in the box, as well.

Herbs and vials, bits  of silver, a cross, a mirror, bound bags of who-knows-what, and more.  At the very bottom, under everything, is what looks to be a notebook -  perhaps a journal - with a crackling leather cover.

Their answer surprises you. "From what I remember, this is a vampire hunting kit."

"Why  would you have this here?" It didn't make sense to you. Why would they  have things around that could kill them? Though a small, dark part of  you answers.

"I may have killed a few vampire hunters in  my time." Tabaeus shrugs, as if taling about murder is no big deal.  Though, you wryly suppose it's more self-defense, if these hunters were  trying to kill Tabaeus. Your momentary amusement is gone when they voice  what that dark part of you guessed, "Or perhaps it is just something  all vampires keep. In case eternity becomes too great a burden."

You gently place the stake back into the box, closing the lid with a snap. "And why are you showing me this?"

"It  is yours. For your protection." It is not a threat, you realize. Their  words are too soft, their eyes downcast, their body language submissive  for them to seem dangerous. "A token of my sincerity that I will never  hurt you, but if I ever do, do not hesitate to use what is in this box." 

The logical, paranoid part of you snorts derogatorily  at the statement. There were any number of ways a sly vampire could  sully a vampire hunting kit. The wrong herbs, fake silver, tap water in  place of holy water. And it wasn't as if you hadn't left Tabaeus alone  for long swaths of time for them to concoct such a ploy.

You  had already begun stashing a cache of items at home and planning to  grow anti-vampire herbs in your new greenhouse. Getting stakes was even  easier, you'd found out, after being pointed toward the varieties  available in the camping eisles. Nothing in lore said it had to be a wooden stake.

It  is a struggle to believe Tabaeus would put together a fake vampire  hunting kit. It seems too maliciously conniving. But, you suppose, if  this was all an act, you wouldn't know what Tabaeus would or wouldn't  do. Now would you?

Although, you are very curious to  know what was in the journal. That is the only reason you relieve them  of the box and offer up an uneasy smile to them, "Thank you, Tabaeus. I  appreciate the understanding."

For once, they do not reply. They merely nod, humming an acknowledgement, as their gaze refuses to meet yours.

"We  should head back home. I'm sure Bjarka and Liuva are missing you." You  attempt to lighten the mood, balancing the much lighter box on your hip.  With an nod to the heavier treasure-filled box, you ask, "Can you take  that one? You're stronger than me."

With a silent nod,  they shuffle to the other box and heft it in their arms. You can't even  tell if it weighs anything to the vampire. There's no strain to their  muscles, no bowing of their back.

Tabaeus finally looks  at you and opens their mouth, as if to say something. But it instantly  snaps closed and they look away from you.

"What?" You  take a step closer to them, cocking your head as your free hand lightly  touches their arm. The touch draws the attention of their eyes. Slowly,  their gaze travels up your arm and tingles follow their path.

"Will  you miss me?" Their words are soft, almost lost under the buzzing of  the overhead lights. "When we part, I mean. Whenever that is."

You raise your eyebrows, trying to ignore the heavy grief painting the air around Tabaeus. "Are you planning to leave me?"

"No."

There's  no 'not yet' or any other implication they ever thought to leave you.  Just a simple 'no.' You wonder how far into the future Tabaeus has  thought, has planned. Are they thinking just a week ahead? A month? A  year? Ten years?

The thought brings a rush of  conflicting sensations, warring for dominance in your chest.  Overwhelming emotions make you feel the slightest bit dizzy. Abruptly,  you pull your hand from Tabaeus and turn back the way you came, crisply  saying, "That's better to ask when your leaving is inevitable, don't you  think?"

You feel Tabaeus's eyes on your back. It makes  those rush of contrary feelings spike and you swallow down uncertain  tears. Finally, their feet start to shuffle after you and they say, a  little defeatedly, "Yes, I suppose you are correct."

The  two of you walk in silence, both carrying your own heavy baggage as you  traverse the dark. When Tabaeus turns the lights off behind you - your  hand already on the fabric of their jacket to be guided out - the  forgotten world of items is plunged back into darkness.

You can't help but feel the two of you carry much more than the two boxes out of that place, though.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104 28 11
Vampires have long been known for their cruel behavior befitting of a beast. Many humans live in fear of them and rightfully so. In recent years huma...
219K 5.9K 52
You are a vampire in a school with vampires and humans but you don't know what kind of a vampire you are. The other vampires aren't aware of you bein...
1 0 1
She is a vampire, a creature outside of humanity and therefore no longer subject to what makes a woman human. She is a woman with no identity, no uni...
478 85 22
When Draculana Romance finally finds out that what she's believed to be true, actually is, how will she handle it? Can she handle dating a vampire? C...