Complicity [h.s]

By happydays1d

SEQUEL TO DUPLICITY. Complicity- to be involved with others in illegal activity or wrongdoing. After sacrifi... More

?
read me / trailer
00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48

31

144K 3.8K 11.9K
By happydays1d

Aven Brooks

Sitting at the edge of my bed, my hands rub the skin of my knees raw. A chill continues to coarse me as a constant reminder that fear, in its entirety, is what I should be feeling. I'm out of options and I can't keep concealing this any longer. I've been asked about the necklace three times, and my excuses for not having it are running dry.

The loud thunder breaks the silence of the night, capturing my attention. In the past, the sound of thunder used to make me flinch, but I have grown accustomed to it. I haven't flinched in a long time. The rain is coming down hard and the wind is shaking my windows. I can't help but desire the storm to take me away, erasing any trace of my existence.

My chest tightens as the sound of a stern knock echoes through my door.

"Mariana," I hear Zayn enter. "He's ready to see you."

Back to the door, I take in the view of my window one last time. I suck in a confident breath and nod, standing up to my feet. Turning around, Zayn stays within the doorway dressed in his usual proficient attire, waiting to escort me to Malikai's office as if I can't find it myself.

I silently walk past him and down the south wing of the estate. He follows.

If I don't say anything now, Malikai will assume I'm in on what Harry has planned when holding the necklace as ransom. I have to confess before that happens. I've done everything in my power to get it back, everything but admit what Harry wants me to admit.

Admit I'm in danger.

Admit I'm unhappy.

I know all it would take for me to get that necklace back was to say yes. But I can't admit something so idiotic— I won't. No matter how much he wants me to. It's not simple, none of this is simple. I tried stealing it back, I tried being stern with it. Nothing worked, and now they probably have it locked up in a place I'll never find it.

So, the only thing left to do is confess.

"May I ask you why you've requested this meeting with your father tonight?" Zayn speaks.

I don't answer, I know he'll be in the room anyway. He can find out then. I haven't rehearsed what I was going to say. I'm not sure if that will make things worse or not. Maybe I should've calculated a negotiable agreement.

Zayn doesn't follow up with anything else as we approach the oak double doors of Malikai's office. Guarded by two of his men, they open the doors for us. Once open, warm lights leak through from a crackling fireplace at the far end of the room. Bookshelves from floor to ceiling, a massive mahogany desk, tall window pane—he stands by his fireplace, broad back to us.

"Your daughter is here to see you, sir." A guard mentions.

The doors close, echoing a sealing thud through the estate. Two guards stay in the room with us, waiting by the door as Zayn aligns with them. I stand alone in the center of the room, pausing for an acknowledgment before allowing myself to sit.

Malikai looks over his shoulder, with one hand resting on the banister and a glass of scotch in the other. His face breaks into a smile as the fireplace illuminates his skin.

"Princess." He greets, turning around and sauntering toward his desk. His blazer is off, but he's still dressed well. Black pleated dress pants, white button-up open a quarter of the way down, shiny black dress shoes.

"Hi, father." I nod, picking at my nails but keeping my stern stance.

Thunder roars.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" He comfortably takes his seat in the oversized brown leather chair exemplifying his superiority.

"I have some things to talk to you about."

He relaxes in his seat, leaning back and gesturing me to the chair. "Then please, take a seat."

I step around and sit in the smaller chair on the other side of his desk, facing him. I cross one leg over the other, keeping my perfect poised posture. I try to breathe deeply, my fingernails shovelling against my cuticles.

"What is it you would like to talk about?" He folds his hands together and smiles.

I swallow.

"I haven't been completely honest with you."

He tilts his head to the left, going silent for a moment and examining my face. His eyebrows crease for clarity.

"And what is it you've been dishonest about?" He keeps his calm, cool tone.

I swallow, trying to breathe calmly to show my professionalism. The longer I hold the words in my mouth the more I'll have to choke them up. I'm already here in front of him, I need to just come out with it.

"The necklace. I'm afraid it's gone missing."

The room goes dead silent as I feel Zayn's eyes burning the back of my head from the confession. I stare my father in the face, trying to prepare for what he will say. But his expression tells me nothing, he just stares as if I'm still talking. After ten more seconds, he takes a leisurely sip of his scotch before speaking.

"Missing?" He adjusts his seat.

"I didn't discover this until I opened the box and saw it wasn't there."

He looks down at his lap and slowly nods, flicking back to me again.

"And when do you think it went missing?"

"My guess was the night there was an intruder and they got away through mothers garden. Since then, I've tried to figure out how to get it back to exhibit my initiative and capabilities. But I've yet to find them."

After another long pause, he eventually speaks again.

"You have no idea who they were, that night in the garden?"

I shake my head.

He slowly nods, taking another sip of his drink.

"Father, I've been doing everything I can to get it back. I want to show you I'm responsible and trustworthy. I know the necklace is worth a lot and means a lot. I can't begin to explain how apologetic I am that it was taken in my possession."

"A break-in is not your fault. There was only so much we can do to protect our valuables. An apology is redundant."

A wave of relief passes over me, but I try not to let him catch that. I slowly nod, releasing my hands a bit. I never would've thought he'd be composed to this.

"Thank you, father. I'm appreciative of your understanding."

"However, you lied to your mother." His eyes burn to mine again, this time a darker look. "And you lied to me."

My stomach tenses.

"I-I know, and that was very unfitting of me. I just thought that if I could—"

"When your mother questioned you about the necklace, you expressed you forgot it at home."

I stay silent.

"And dishonestly isn't something to let slide so easily. Predominantly, to your parents."

My head starts to go hot and my stomach cold, the roar of thunder causing me to flinch. My mind begins to stray fast.

"I will get it back. I promise. I'll prove it."

"I know, princess. I know you will get it back." He adjusts his seat, leaning forward on his elbows and folding his fingers together. "But part of forgiveness is paying the price for your mistakes."

My heart stops, and my head slowly shakes.

"Please—"

"I will expect the necklace back in my possession by next week, but unfortunately you will need to be punished for being dishonest. Deception isn't something we take lightly in this family. I know you know better than that."

I shut my eyes and keep shaking my head.

"B-but I'm confessing. I already know that being dishonest was wrong."

"That's why it will be a shorter punishment than before."

"Father, please don't—"

He glances over at the guards standing by the door and nods. Suddenly, before I can even process what's happening, two pairs of hands grab onto my arms and forcefully haul me out of my seat. In that moment, I lose all composure and my panic takes over.

"I'm sorry! I said I was sorry! Let me prove it to you!"

They start dragging me to the door as my father calmly stays in his chair.

"I don't like doing this, you know that."

"No–No, please!"

I turn my head to Zayn, who sees my face and the panic flooding through me.

"Zayn, please!" I get desperate for anyone to help. "Tell him I can do it!"

He stares at me and hesitantly flickers his eyes to Malikai.

"Sir, I will do everything in my power to help her get the necklace back. You know she's capable of it. Give her a deadline before you decide she deserves punishment."

"Teaching my daughter is the one thing I won't negotiate on." He is quick to decline any compromise.

"Father, please!" I shout.

"You'll be okay, princess. It's only to better you." He gets up and walks back over to his fireplace. "It makes you stronger."

As I'm pulled through the doorway, Zayn's unwavering gaze remains fixed upon me. Despite his apparent helplessness, he makes the impulsive choice to pursue us down the hallway.

"It will be two days, three tops." He tries to bring me ease.

"Zayn, I can't do it again—" I shake my head, pleading as the guards pull me down the stairs.

"You can. You know you can. I'll be right on the other side of the door."

"Zayn, a word please." I hear my father call from his office.

As I am being dragged down the stairs, Zayn watches helplessly from the railing, aware that nothing he does will improve the situation. His gaze eventually shifts away from me as he turns and disappears back down the hallway. I close my eyes tightly, hoping for a truce, but the guards persist in taking me to the basement.

The basement, where I'll spend the next three days in darkness.

//

next chapter v soon!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

888K 35.1K 45
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
991K 17.2K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
49.3K 2.3K 10
- a book of taekook one shots / short stories my mind comes up with or from comms:) • nswf content • smut • topkook • bottomtae • open for story comm...
22.2K 448 18
Karma and Nagisa have been friends since childhood, mostly growing up together. They were both the perfect assassins and not so perfect lovers. Or so...