Pieces | LT ✔️

By lestwinsdesire

Book Cover Credit: Fine Art America More

Chapter One: Free
Chapter Two: Phenomena
Chapter Three: Connection
Chapter Four: Unforeseen
Chapter Five: Soul Tie
Chapter Six: Solace
Chapter Seven: Longing
Chapter Eight: The Search Begins
Chapter Ten: Heavy Heart
Chapter Eleven: The Meeting
Chapter Twelve: Deja Vu
Chapter Thirteen: Standing Firm
Chapter Fourteen: Coming Together
Chapter Fifteen: Uncertainty
Chapter Sixteen: Cupid's Arrow
Chapter Seventeen: Helping Hand
Chapter Eighteen: Dilemma
Chapter Nineteen: Injustice
Chapter Twenty: Emerge
Chapter Twenty One: Protocol
Chapter Twenty Two: All for Kya
Chapter Twenty Three: Resolution
Chapter Twenty Four: For the Best..

Chapter Nine: Open Arms

316 33 22
By lestwinsdesire

The semi-busy street suddenly seems very quiet. No sounds of car horns or chatter from passersby. It's as if it's just Larry and Michael here...the intense glare from Michael becoming more intense by the second. Even at a distance he's so intimidating and Larry timidly drops his head. He doesn't look down too long because curiosity of whether or not he's still glaring at him is hard to resist so he slowly looks up at him. That's when he sees Michael shake his head whilst mean mugging him then casually walks away. Larry feels his heart sting then he hears Laurent's sweet voice behind him asking, "I thought you were waiting in the car". But, Larry is too still to respond so Laurent cautiously walks around to look at him and his countenance is very troubling so he asks, "what's wrong"? Larry won't keep him wondering why so he gulps as he replies, "it's Michael. That's him walking away". Laurent instantly looks in the direction of Larry's eyes and knowing what this man did to Larry on top of the frustrating morning they had at the adoption agency...knowing that Larry wouldn't have been subjected to this man had they both been adopted by Vera and Kent, Laurent passes Larry the smoothie he went back to the deli for and begins a light jog to catch up with Michael. Larry immediately goes after him then jumps in front of him and places his hand in the bend of Laurent's arm to stop him...

Larry: "No, Laurent please. Don't".

Laurent: "It's oki. I'm going to get your lick back for you".

Larry: "No, please stop". 

Larry manages to stop him to explain why he doesn't want Laurent near him...

Larry: "I don't want him to lay a finger on you and if someone sees you fighting they might call the cops. I don't want anything happening to you. I just got you".

Laurent: "Oh Larry", he whispers.

Larry: "It's not worth it so let's just go, oki"?

Laurent's face instantly softens then he looks down at Larry's hand on him as he feels him trembling then looks back up..his heart breaking at the sad look on his face. He doesn't waste another second gently grabbing the back of Larry's head to pull him into him. Larry's temple goes down on Laurent's shoulder as Laurent softly tells him, "oki. I won't do anything. We can go". Laurent can feel Larry nod against him as he whispers, "thank you". Then he feels a soft kiss being placed on his temple. Larry's heart is overwhelmed by his affection, and his body nearly shivers at the softness and tenderness of Laurent's lips. For a few moments it's just the two of them standing there...cars going around them but none honking their horns. It's as if even complete strangers sense the closeness of these two and don't want to disturb the beautiful moment. Larry eventually raises his head to look at Laurent who also places a kiss on Larry's forehead in which Larry closes his eyes at the sensation. He whispers, "let's go home" so Larry nods, and he's also touched that Laurent now calls his home theirs. They turn around and walk towards the car and get in at the same time. Larry was still holding Laurent's smoothie so he places it in the cup holder to put his seat belt on. He then picks it back up and since a straw was placed against it as most places tend to do Larry takes the paper off and places the straw in the drink before handing it over to Laurent who smiles then thanks him and begins making the drive home...

~meanwhile~

Katherine sits in front of a desk and is nervously waiting as an online application she submitted for a cash office clerk is reviewed. She's been secretly looking for work since Michael threatened her with divorce if she didn't kick Larry out. Truth be told, she doesn't care about a divorce as egotistical Michael believes she does. The final straw was putting his hands on Larry and she's determined to leave him. She just has to do that without him knowing. If he can hurt Larry to such a magnitude there's no telling what he will do to her if he finds out. But, she's confident he won't find out because this position ends at 4 and Michael doesn't get off until 6 so she can get home and still have dinner prepared without him suspecting anything. Naturally she's still extremely worried about Larry and is hoping for a phone call though she can understand how hurt he is from the whole ordeal. That's also another reason, the main reason, she needs this job. She can get away from Michael, find her baby boy and hopefully they can rebuild their relationship. An associate, Maria, has only been reviewing her application for a few minutes, but as eager as she is to find employment which is the first step in her get out plan, it feels like it's been hours. Finally, she looks up at her...

Maria: "Well, I have to be honest with you. Being that you've only been a homemaker and don't have experience in any field, I don't know if your application will make final approval".

Katherine: "Please, just give me a chance. I'm a fast learner and being a homemaker isn't any different from this position. I do all the budgeting, bookkeeping, preparation and planning. I'm also a mother so my domestic roles are my skill set".

*silence*

Katherine: "Look I'll take whatever job is available. I can answer phones and clean. Whatever it takes because it's really important that I get a job. It will be a life saver and get me out of a really serious situation". 

*brief pause*

Maria: "Ok. I will forward your application to my boss and answer any questions she has about your interview. She's looking to make a decision in the next three days so as soon as I receive word from her I will give you a call".

Katherine closes her eyes and lets out a small sigh of relief then opens them to look at her as she extends her hand to shake hers...

Katherine: "Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you".

Katherine leaves the office and is internally praying that she gets the position, but is certainly prepared and will look for others if this doesn't work out. Home is only ten minutes away which also makes this job her first choice. She's feeling optimistic, but when she pulls up at home she's stunned to see Michael's car. He never comes home on lunch so she doesn't know what he's doing here. She's nervous that somehow he's found out what she's doing and is waiting to confront her about it. She tells herself to remain calm as to not give herself away, but she's also ready to lie if necessary. She won't let him hold her back anymore. She walks inside and isn't surprised to see him sitting in his chair and watching TV. They make eye contact and it's to the point where just the sight of him makes her sick...

Katherine: "What are you doing home"?

Michael: "Why does it matter"?

Katherine: "Why do you have to be a smart ass? You can't answer the question"?

Michael: "Certainly, Queen Katherine. I had some time to use so I wouldn't lose it. Ok"?

Katherine: *rolls eyes* "Whatever".

Katherine storms off to go to the kitchen for a bottled water when she hears...

Michael: "The better question is where have you been"?

Katherine: "I wanted to get out and enjoy the day".

Michael: "In a business suit"?

Katherine stops walking and looks down at her attire then whispers, "shit". She has to come up with something fast...

Katherine: "I went to an afternoon play with Sylvia. She dressed up too".

*silence*

Michael: "Well now that you're home how about making some lunch. Your husband is hungry".

Katherine rolls her eyes again and quietly says, "something wrong with you". She didn't realize she said it loud enough for him to hear because now she's hearing...

Michael: "What was that"?

*brief pause*

Katherine: "Um, I just want to know if you want pasta salad or macaroni salad with your sandwich".

Michael: "I'll have pasta salad".

Katherine breathes a quiet sigh of relief then pushes forward to get a pot of water on the stove before going to the bedroom to change out of her suit all while thinking to herself how unnerving it was for him to notice the suit, but relieved he accepted her answer. It also reminded her of why she's planning her escape. She can't live like this, but most of all, she wants her son back...

******

Another quiet meal across from the man she's come to despise so much so she doesn't even look at him, but he's looking at her...

Michael: "You're thinking about him".

Katherine normally corrects him with, "our son" but she doesn't give it any energy...

Katherine: "Of course I am. It's been weeks and I haven't heard from him".

For the first time since sitting down to eat she looks at him because she hears a soft chuckle coming from him. She doesn't realize he's smirking because he saw Larry today, but because of his mean spirited nature he won't tell her that...

Katherine: "This isn't funny, Michael".

Michael: "I'm sure he's fine, Katherine".

Katherine instantly begins to tear up as she belts out...

Katherine: "I need to know he's fine"!

Michael: "Oh stop it Meryl Streep. He's not a baby".

Katherine:  "He's my baby and I'm not being dramatic. I'm being a mother". 

Michael merely chuckles again as he picks up his sandwich and takes another bite. Katherine can't stomach him anymore so she leaves her plate to get up and away from him. She goes to the bedroom, practically slams the door then walks over to the bed to lay down and cry...

~evening~

As the day progressed, the sky changed from sunny to cloudy and started to rain just as the sun was beginning to set. With such an upsetting afternoon, Larry and Laurent decided to take a nap with Laurent waking up first as he wanted to get dinner started. Larry was so emotional from seeing Michael that he's been sleeping for quite a while so Laurent checked in on him every hour and as the food cooked. Now that everything is close to being done Laurent goes back to Larry's room who's sleeping on his stomach. Laurent climbs in bed next to him, props his arm up and rests his left fist on his temple then uses his right hand to rub soft circles on Larry's back. He's still not over his amazing fro and his eyes dart between that and Larry sleeping so peacefully while also looking absolutely mesmerizing. He eventually begins moving a bit signaling that he's waking up. The rain is lightly tapping on the window and now those sweet eyes open and he smiles because he sees Laurent...

Larry: *smile* "Hi", he greets softly.

Laurent: *smile* "Hi".

Larry: "Did I have another bad dream"?

Laurent: "No. I just wanted to check on you".

Larry: "How long was I sleep"?

Laurent: "About five hours".

Larry closes his eyes as he lets out a soft sigh then looks back at Laurent...

Larry: "That man is so draining. I have to stop letting him get to me so much".

Laurent: "It won't happen overnight so be gentle with yourself, oki"?

Larry: "Oki".

Laurent continues to rub Larry's back as they can't help but gaze at each other. The amount of time they spend doing that has been increasing lately. Then Larry's senses get a fill of an incredible aroma so he asks...

Larry: *smile* "What smells so good"?

Laurent: *smile* "Roasted chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, sauteed vegetables and rolls. For dessert, homemade peanut butter cookies. There's some chocolate ice cream in the freezer you can crumble the cookies on top of if you want to get fancy".

Larry: *smile* "I might do that".

Laurent: *smile* "Me too". *pause* "Everything should be ready now".

Larry: *smile* "Oki. I'll be right there". 

Larry got up to freshen up and when he got to the dining room table he noticed the food had already been set up so he picks up Laurent's plate as he wants to make it for him then makes his own. They both agree that they won't spend this time talking about the upset at the agency and definitely not Michael. Just quality time with each other and only talked about things that made them smile and laugh...

~Friday~

The attorney representing them called Laurent around 11 am to let him know that obtaining the injunction was successful and requested that he and Larry meet him at the agency. He sends an email to his staff to let them know he will be out for the rest of the day but he will return tomorrow. He calls Larry to tell him and that he's coming to pick him up so they can go to the agency. He also let his parents know what happened and he requested that they come too just in case they're needed, but mostly for support. They arrive at the same time as Vera and Kent who are also happy to see Larry and greet him. The attorney is already there so Laurent introduces him to everyone and now that everyone is here they walk up to the reception desk and ask to speak to Amelia, the agent who turned down their request. She walks out and is confused to see so many people with them...

Adrian: "I'm the attorney representing Larry and Laurent".

Amelia: "Attorney"?

Adrian: "My clients came to you and requested records that they're entitled to and you denied their request".

Amelia: "I explained to your clients that the records are sealed after an adoption has taken place".

Adrian: "My clients are over 18 and therefore are entitled to request that the records are unsealed".

Amelia: "That isn't the policy here".

Adrian: "It's the policy at every agency ma'am. As an agent in this field you should know this and since you denied their request I have an injunction here that instructs you to provide the records".

Amelia's supervisor was informed of the confrontation so he's come out of his office and is now standing next to her...

"Is there a problem here"?

Adrian: "I'm Adrian Boche, attorney at law. You are"?

"Claude Blanchet, agency Manager".

Adrian: "Mr. Blanchet, I was just explaining to your agent here that she failed to give my clients their birth records".

Claude: "My agent was just doing her job".

Adrian: "My client called her back and advised her that they are entitled to records because they are no longer under the age of 18. Certainly you are aware of this rule so if she was unsure all it took was checking with you, an apology to my clients then a request to come back down for those records and this injunction wouldn't have been necessary".

Claude's eyes slowly go to the document the attorney is holding up then looks back at him. He then hears another voice...

Kent: "The records are under Kent and Vera Francois so if you need further authorization you just got it".

Silence falls, but eventually Claude gently takes the injunction from the attorney to read it then looks over at Amelia and whispers to her to go and retrieve the records. He then looks back at him...

Claude: "Your clients will have the records momentarily".

Adrian: "Great. Have yourself a good day".

Adrian then steps back and waits to make sure they receive the documents. When she returns and hands the file over to Laurent he shakes the hands of everyone then leaves. Laurent walks over to give Vera a hug and thanks her for being there. Vera then comes over to Larry and gives him a hug which he smiles as he receives, but he also gets a glimpse of a hug between Laurent and Kent...internally hoping he gets one too. He does receive a warm smile from him, but no hug. Laurent notices the sadness in his eyes and instantly knows why. He also knows what to do about it. For now, Larry thanks them for coming too and they all leave the agency together then split up to go to their cars. Once inside Laurent's car he wastes no time cranking the engine up to leave as they decided that opening the envelope at home is better which isn't far away from where they are so they won't have to wait long...

*****

Laurent swiftly unlocks the door and they head over to the couch. Before they could even sit down Laurent is opening the envelope. The birth certificate that has Vera and Kent's name on it is on top, but he feels another document underneath so he places it on top. When Larry sees the look on his face...

Larry: "What is it"?

*brief pause*

Laurent: "It's the original birth certificate". *pause* "Our birth mother's name is Lorraine and our birth father's name is Lysander". 

Larry: "That's why they gave us names that start with L".

Laurent: "Yeah I think you're right".

Larry: "What else do you see"?

Laurent: "Our last name. We were born Larry and Laurent Bourgeois".

Larry: "Wow".

Laurent notices an additional paper behind the certificates so he pulls it out and Larry watches him read it then tells him more...

Laurent: "We were a year old when we were adopted".

Larry: "Does it give the reason why"?

Laurent: "Yeah". *pause* "It says here that we were removed from the home because of domestic violence".

Larry: "That could be why we have these visions of babies crying. It was all happening in front of us and we were scared".

Laurent: "That's what I believe too".

Larry: "Are there any other details"?

Laurent: "No this is it". 

Larry: "I thought there would be more and I want to know more like is she still with him? Did she divorce him, and if she did, did she try to get us back? Do we have other siblings"? 

Laurent: "I want to know more too, but at least we have names now. When police show up for domestic violence cases the responding officers have to report each incident and those stay on file. I will give their names to Jeff and ask if he can go in the archives to get more information".

*brief pause*

Larry: "I want to meet her. Maybe he can get a phone number for her".

Laurent: "It may take a few days because we don't know how common her name is, but I'm sure he can get that because I want to meet her too".

Larry nods then Laurent quietly places the papers back in the envelope as he tells Larry that he will call Jeff...but first...

Laurent: "Since tomorrow is Saturday, do you want to go to my parents house"?

Larry internally lights up as he replies...

Larry: "That's just what I need".

Words can't express how touched Laurent is to hear him say that. He's always been grateful for his family and by Larry wanting to be around them only validates how amazing they are and how much he appreciates them being so warm and welcoming to him. He doesn't tell Larry about this, but there's a reason he wants them to go there. Until the time comes, they decide to make it a pizza and wings night since it's Friday. When it arrives Laurent suggests they eat by the pool and he sweetly asks Larry to grab them some sodas from the fridge. It's been quite a day so there's nothing better than the two of them ending the day with each other...

~the next day~

Laurent placed a call to his dad after he and Larry went to their rooms the previous night. He knew what Larry needed after he saw the look on his face as he watched Laurent and Kent share a moment at the agency. He's kept most of what Larry told him about his life to himself as he wasn't sure just how much Larry would want to be shared so he took care to keep it most of it private, but also making sure Kent knew why he was asking him for what he did. They were all nice and sweet to him as he expected and Larry was delighted to see that Vera cooked as he really enjoyed what she cooked at the barbecue the day they all met. Her famous Caesar pasta salad is Laurent's favorite and it's definitely his favorite now. He piles his plate with mesquite chicken that's seasoned perfectly as well as tender and juicy, the pasta and maple bacon brussel sprouts. Everything is so good that he goes for a second plate. It's a tradition in this family to play a board game at every gathering, but before they do that Larry is surprised when he feels a hand on his shoulder. He turns his head and looks up to see Kent looking down at him with a smile so he smiles...

Kent: *smile* "Come talk to me. We'll join them later".

Larry: *smile* "Oki".

Larry stands up and follows Kent to the den who sweetly instructs him to have a seat on the couch while he sits across from him. Naturally he doesn't know what this is about, but since he's never had a close conversation with a father figure he eagerly waits...

Kent: "So Laurent tells me that you don't have much of a relationship with your dad".

*brief pause*

Larry: "No sir, I don't".

Needless to say, Larry didn't see their conversation going this way so he's unsure how else to respond. That's when he hears...

Kent: "Whatever you need to talk about, whatever is on your heart, you can tell me. I'm here to listen".

Larry already feels a lump in his throat as if he could cry right now. He just sucks his tears back and begins pouring his heart out...

Larry: "He just hates me and I don't know why. He calls me a troublemaker because I went to jail for doing something stupid. I told him I was going to live right but he didn't believe me. He didn't want me in his home so my mom told me to leave because of that and I know he doesn't care where I am right now or how I'm doing". 

Kent: "You haven't talked to your mom since"?

Larry: "No sir. We never had a bad relationship so I can't believe she did that. I can't bring myself to talk to her". 

Kent: "How long has your relationship with your dad been strained"?

Larry: "Since I was about ten years old. I started having problems in school because...." *sigh* "I guess it was just hard to deal with being adopted. I don't know why I had problems. My mom tried to help me, but my dad just didn't bother with me. He didn't understand that I needed his love the most. All boys want and need a relationship with their dad growing up but, he just thought I would grow up to be nothing".

Kent: "Did he say that to you", he asks softly.

Larry can already feel tears building and he breathes out...

Larry: "He didn't have to. Before I started getting in trouble he wasn't very affectionate with me and it only got worse. The way he would look at me. He didn't smile at me, he never told me he was proud of me. He never gave me a hug. Nothing". *pause* "He was supposed to be my dad. I needed him to be my dad, but I don't have one and it hurts". 

Now the tears are streaming so Kent reaches over to grab some Kleenex to give to him. He watches Larry dab his eyes...only more tears keep falling. Kent is almost emotional just watching him and his heart aches for him. Larry being a part of Laurent makes it that much easier for him to say...

Kent: "I'll be your dad".

Larry instantly raises his head and looks at him in surprise. As a single tear falls he sniffs as he replies...

Larry: "You will"?

Kent: *smile* "Of course. I think I make a pretty good one, but if you need references there are two in the living room".

Larry chuckles through his tears then says...

Larry: "It's oki. I know you're a great dad, and I would love for you to be mine".

Kent: "Then I'm your dad", he replies softly.

Larry can't help but cry even more. He then watches Kent stand up, open his arms then look into his eyes and say, "come here, son". Larry is looking up at him and the next second he's on his feet and allowing Kent to wrap him in his arms. Never having the experience of a hug from a father figure he bursts into tears as he holds him tight. Kent begins patting his back as he tells him, "it's oki". Larry can only hold him tighter as he continues to cry...

Kent: "Nothing wrong with shedding a few tears. Cleanses the soul, you know"? 🎥

He feels Larry nod against him so Kent continues to gently pat his back...

Kent: "Every mean word he said to you, every name he called you to demean you, belittle you or make you feel like you're not enough holds no power over you. He holds no power over you anymore. You are worthy of love, and you are loved".

Larry's body is trembling because he's crying so hard. He also thinks that it's just the two of them, but when Laurent, Vera and Chrissy heard his crying they all quietly stepped in the den to see what was going on. Seeing Kent embrace him like that hit them right in the heart. Laurent is standing between Vera and Chrissy who are resting their temples on each of Laurent's shoulders as they cry at the sight. Laurent looks up at the ceiling as he tried to hold back tears, but it was futile. The second he dropped his head the tears started streaming. Kent and Larry eventually let each other go so Kent could look him in the eyes. They're heavily bloodshot so he reaches over for more Kleenex to give to him. Laurent eventually walks over so Chrissy is now resting her temple on her mom's shoulder as they both continue to cry. Larry wipes his tears away and when he sees Laurent out of his peripheral he turns his head to look at him. Seeing that he's emotional too, and also grateful he shared some things with Kent so they could have this moment, he envelopes him in a hug while softly shedding more tears. He also receives hugs from Chrissy and Vera. Eventually the tears settle and Larry feels so much better. Kent suggests that they all go to the living room to play the board game, but Larry pulls Laurent to the side first, looks him in the eyes and says, "thank you". Laurent whispers a sweet, "anything for you" in return then they join the rest of their family. From that moment on it's all fun and laughter as they play...with a full heart from Larry because of Kent receiving him as his son with open arms...

------------

A/N: I couldn't hold back. I cried writing the scene between Larry and Kent. Hope everyone enjoyed. Thanks for reading. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.8K 1.4K 32
A tale involving lovers, Larry and Laurent Bourgeois, that will take my readers on a journey of suspense and high emotions. ❤️
1.9K 168 29
The past comes back but instead of haunt you.. he comes along to save you.
1.6K 89 7
After arguing with his brother, Larry decides to take some time to cool his head. Laurent tired of his brother's childish behavior decided to express...