|| KAIRA SS : TUM MILE....||

By writer_shailz

This is a short story on Kaira. Kartik Malhotra is a thirty - five years old single father to an eight year... More

~ Tum Mile ~
~Prologue~
Episode 1 - His Life
Episode 2 : A New Tenant
Episode 3 - And They Meet....
Episode 5 - The Dentist Visit
Episode 6 : The Subramanians
Episode 7 : The Family Dinner
Episode 8 : "Are You a Lawyer?"
Episode 9 : Kartik's Past

Episode 4 : Naira's First Day

772 99 16
By writer_shailz

Hey guys, here's the next episode. Please vote and comment.

Happy Reading..!!

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•

Bangalore

St. Joseph's School

Naira is seen walking in the corridor in a hurry.

She is on her way to her classroom. She is holding a mathematics book in her hand and continuously glancing at her wristwatch.

Naira(murmuring to herself): Shit....I'm so late today....all because of that man....(scoffs) uski wajah se admin se bhi sunna pada...woh bhi first-day par....(sighs in defeat) I hope I don't lose my job...

At last, she reaches her classroom and looks at the board above the door of the class.

III C

She takes a deep breath. She was going to teach after a long time, precisely after a gap of one year. Yes, she was nervous. But then, she tried to remember why did she choose teaching as a profession? She could have settled for a well-paying and steady government job like her father had always wanted her to. Why did she have to go against her father and disappoint him?

It was because she knew she could never be happy in a 9 - 5 desk job. Her happiness resided in interacting with kids and making them learn new, interesting things every day. For this very reason, she had done a double masters in mathematics and psychology. She had been a child counsellor at her previous school. She always had a way with kids.

Gathering enough confidence, she plastered a warm smile across her face and entered the classroom with positive energy. But her smile faded as soon as she saw her daughter leaning against the wall and standing in a corner with a sad pout on her lips.

The kids were on alert as soon as they saw Naira entering the classroom. All of them stood up at once and wished her in a sing-song way -

Kids(sing-song way): Good morning teacher...

Naira glanced at them for a while and smiled warmly.

Naira(smiling warmly): Good morning kids....sit down..!!

The kids settled down at their respective places.

Yohan(murmuring): Heyy guys.....new teacher....!!

Vihaan shrugged his shoulders.

Naira placed her book on the teacher's desk and turned to Jiya, who was standing near the window sill with her hands at the back. Unable to stand straight up, she was shifting her weight from one foot to another. The sunlight from outside was shining full upon her face.

Naira(to Jiya): Why are you standing there baby?

Jiya(without realising): Mumm-

Naira immediately raised an eyebrow to remind her.

Jiya stuck out her tongue at her mistake.
She forestalled herself from speaking further as soon as she realised what she was about to speak in utter negligence. She realised she cannot address Naira as "Mumma" at school, so she instantly tried to divert the attention of her classmates.

Jiya(to Naira): Miss......I don't have a place to sit.

Naira looked at Jiya for a while. Then diverted her gaze to the rest of the class, trying to look for a place for Jiya. Her brief search ended when she spotted an empty place beside Vihaan who was sitting on the front bench.

Naira(to Vihaan): Hey buddy.....what's your name?

Vihaan, startled at first, rose from his seat nervously.

Vihaan: Vihaan Malhotra...

Naira turned to Jiya.

Naira: Can you please introduce yourself, dear?

Jiya turned to her classmates, fiddling with her fingers. Everyone was staring at her blankly.

Jiya(to her classmates): H..Hi...I'm Jiya...I'm a new student...it is a pleasure to meet you all....(pauses)

Unable to figure out what to speak further, Jiya nervously turns to Naira for desperate help. Naira understands her daughter's gesture and plunges into action.

Naira(nodding): Uh....okay...that'll be alright Jiya...you can go and sit near Vihaan...(turns to Vihaan) Vihaan, is it okay if Jiya sits with you?

Vihaan(nodding nervously): Yes miss...

Naira(smiling): Good...(turns to Jiya) Jiya...baby, you can sit near Vihaan...

Jiya looks at Vihaan. He was looking away from her, trying to ignore her. Naira notices this but she doesn't give it much of a thought. She was aware that Jiya always took time to get comfortable around people. She was not very social, when it came to making new friends. So, she decided to give the kids their space and not poke her nose into the matter.

Naira turned back towards the blackboard and started rubbing away its contents with the duster.

Jiya walked towards Vihaan's desk with small steps and sat on the bench beside him. All this while, Vihaan was wantedly trying to look busy and ignore her. Jiya placed her school bag on the floor and turned front. She did not find any scope in beginning a conversation with Vihaan.

Yohan(murmuring to Yash): Vihaan is sitting with the awkward girl...(laughs)

Vihaan rolls his eyes at Yohan's teasing comment. He chooses to focus on his work. He was scribbling in his notebook with pencil.

Here, Jiya was feeling out of place. She was staring at nothing in particular and fidgeting with the rim of her skirt.

Naira finishes writing on the blackboard and turns to the kids, placing the chalk on the desk.

Naira: (smiling) Okay so...lemme introduce myself...I'm Naira Ahuja...your new Maths Teacher and class teacher...I will teach you Maths from now on...(sighs) I know a lot of you find Maths boring and difficult to deal with...but trust me, it's a very interesting subject to study....there is no rocket science involved, just simple logic and application.... I will try my best to make it engaging for you...okay now tell me...how many of you like Maths?

A handful of children raised their hands, including Jiya.

Naira: (chuckles) Okay...that's great...now...how many of you don't like maths?

Most kids raised their hands, including Vihaan.

Naira(humourously): It's okay...Maths wasn't my favourite subject either in the beginning...

The kids laugh at Naira's remark.

Vihaan had put up a poker face.

Naira: (takes a deep breath) Okay...we'll start the class with the introduction session...I want you all to stand up and introduce yourself one by one...Since Jiya has already done the task, we'll start with Vihaan...

Vihaan wasn't paying much attention to Naira's talks. He was sitting at his place, lost in a maze of thoughts and staring at the window. So, Naira had to call him again.

Naira: Vihaan...??

Vihaan immediately sprang up from his seat when he realised Naira was calling out his name.

Vihaan(clueless): Yes Maam?

Naira: Introduce yourself...

Vihaan looked around his classmates. He was a shy speaker. A lump formed in his throat.

Naira: Vihaan...look at me and speak...don't look at your friends...

Vihaan nodded meekly. He cleared his throat.

Vihaan: Uh...Um...I'm Vihaan Malhotra...I'm eight years old...(pauses and begins to think)

Naira: What are your hobbies?

Vihaan: Nothing as such...maybe football

Naira(smiling): Oh...football...great...you can sit down now buddy...

Vihaan sat down at his place.

Naira: Next...the boy behind Vihaan...??

Yohan stands up confidently.

Naira(smiling): Introduce yourself dear...

Yohan(confidently): Good morning everyone...I'm Yohan Singh. My friends call me Yo-Yo -

Random kid (jokingly): Yo-Yo Honey Singh....

The whole class bursts out laughing. Yohan narrows his eyes at the kid. Jiya giggles a bit, but Vihaan's poker faced expression was constant.

Naira(controlling her giggle): Okay...everyone be quiet...Yohan...you continue...

The commotion dies down and Yohan continues with his introduction.

This way, the entire class's intro is finished.

Naira: Okay guys...now that we are done with this...I want you all to submit your Maths Project...then we'll start with the new chapter - Polygons...

Naira turned back and started writing on the blackboard with chalk.

The kids started taking out their projects and notebooks.

Vihaan(scared; in mind): Ab main Maths Project kahan se lau?

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•

Kartik's Office

Kartik and his friend, Chiraag, are standing in the parking lot and looking pitifully at the dented boot of Kartik's SUV.

Kartik is caressing the scratches gently with an aching expression on his face.

Kartik: Last week hi servicing karwayi thi yaar...aur aaj thuk gayi meri gaadi...

Chiraag(looking pitifully at the car): Sach mein bhai...aisa lag rha hai jese kisi ne peeche se Skoda ko WagonR bana diya hai...

Kartik narrows his eyes at Chiraag.

Kartik: Couldn't you give a better example? WagonR...seriously?

Chiraag(shrugging his shoulders): Jo socha...woh bol diya...

Kartik sighs in defeat.

Kartik: Ab kal isey fir se servicing mein dena hoga...

Chiraag(placing his hand on Kartik's shoulder): Chill bro...itna kyu soch raha hai...kal theek ho jayegi gaadi...isme itna tension lene wali kya baat hai?

Kartik sighs and leans against the bonnet of the car, looking front with folded arms.

Kartik(blankly): Aaj meri subah itni bakwaas beeti yaar...Vihaan sad hokar school gaya...Maa se phone pe behes ho gayi...mera sambhar jal gaya...(irritatedly) aur fir woh meri nayi padosan ne meri gaadi thok di...(shakes his head in disbelief and lowers his gaze)

Chiraag(smirking; teasingly): Is she hot?

Kartik(raising his gaze; with disinterest): Who?

Chiraag(grinning): Your nayi padosan?

Kartik rolls his eyes and sighs in disbelief.

His best friend was such a big flirt.

Kartik(hands on his hips): Seriously dude? You're trying to hit on her? She has a kid forgodsake....she might be married...don't stoop so low man...get a girl for yourself...!!

Chiraag: Arrey...main toh tere liye puch raha tha...I'm more interested in your padosan...(walks closer) uske saath baat aage badha na bhai...(teasingly) kya pata, "The Girl Next Door" wala scene ban jaye....arrey gazab...!!

Kartik: (sighs deeply) Chiraag you're being too much, haan...kuch bhi bole jaa rahe ho tum...she might be Vihaan's teacher...have some respect...

Chiraag(more excited): Ooh teacher?! (fantasizes) what if it turns out to be a "parent - teacher" love story...wow...it'll be so cool... "parent - teacher" meeting se seedha "parent - teacher" love story....(laughs)

Kartik(annoyed): Will you just shut up??

Chiraag(places finger on his lips): Ohkay....(giggles silently)

Kartik narrows his eyes at him.

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•

The scene shifts to Vihaan's school

All the kids are submitting their Maths project work on Naira's desk one by one.
Here Vihaan was standing clueless, trying to think of an excuse.

Soon his turn came and Naira called out his name.

Naira(looking at the register): Vihaan Malhotra...

Vihaan stood up at once, gulping in fear.

Naira: Get your project...(continues checking other kids' projects)

Vihaan starts walking towards Naira's desk slowly, in order to fetch himself some time for thinking of an excuse.

Naira raises her gaze from her register and looks at him.

Naira(clueless): Aise kyu chal rahe ho?

Vihaan increases his pace and approaches Naira's desk and stands beside her.

He had lowered his gaze and was fiddling with his fingers.

Naira: Where is your project?

Vihaan doesn't reply anything.

Naira(concerned): Vihaan...

Vihaan: Miss...main project bhool gaya...(raises his gaze)

Naira looks at him for sometime.

Naira: Ghar se laana bhool gaye ya karna bhool gaye?

Vihaan(nervously): Umm....karna bhool gaya...

Naira(folding her arms and sitting back): And.....if I may ask, why so?

Vihaan looks here and there, trying to think of an excuse.

Vihaan: Umm...

Naira keeps staring at him.

Just then, Vihaan remembers Kartik talking to someone on phone some days ago.

Flashback

Vihaan was sitting on the dining table and colouring in his drawing book.

Kartik was talking to his work colleague on phone.

Kartik: Yes Mr. Rawat, how is your slip disc now?

Vihaan stops colouring and looks at Kartik.

Kartik(stands up): What? Has it gotten worse? (concerned) Hospitalisation ka bhi scene hai kya?? (walks into his bedroom)

Flashback ends

Naira(snapping): Vihaan??

Vihaan comes out of his trance and looks at Naira.

Naira: Will you say something??

Vihaan(building up): Uh...mam woh...

Naira keeps looking at him curiously.

Vihaan(mispronounces): Papa ko slip dicks ho gaya tha...

Naira's eyes get wide after hearing Vihaan. It sounded so wrong.

Vihaan was staring at her blankly, trying to sound truthful.

Naira(clearing her throat): Beta...you mean slip disc??

Vihaan(shrugging his shoulders): Same...

Naira(trying to release the awkwardness): How is your father now?

Vihaan(lying): He's okay....he had to get hospitalised...dadu - dadi bhi Delhi se aaye thay...aise mei I could not do my project you see...

Naira(clueless): Uh...its alright dear...I'll give you 3 days to complete the project...take your time...send my best wishes to your father...

Vihaan(smiling): Sure Mam....thank you....

Naira reciprocates the smile and focuses on her work.

Vihaan turns back and sighs in relief. His excuse worked. He paves his way towards his bench with a grinning face.

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>

The scene shifts to Kartik's office

He was working at his desk in his cabin when he got a notification on his phone.

Kartik sighs in disbelief. His mother's stubbornness was getting on his nerves now. He does not even see the photo, instead he tosses his phone away and buries his head in his hand, while his mother keeps spamming him.

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•

The scene shifts to Vihaan's school

It was lunch time. The kids were having their lunch leisurely. Naira, being the class teacher was keeping a watch over them.

Just then, Jiya approaches Naira's desk and tugs at her kurti to grab her attention.

Jiya(meekly): Mumma...

Naira turns to her daughter sharply. Jiya was holding her cheek, she had a aching expression on her face.

Naira(concerned): Kya hua baby? (she holds her hands and caresses her cheek)

Jiya(struggling to speak): Mujhe bhaut pain ho raha hai while eating....

Naira remembers Jiya's cavity issue. She instructs Jiya to open her mouth, so that she could have a look at her cavity affected tooth.

Jiya follows her mother's instructions and opens her mouth. Naira turns on the flashlight of her phone and peeps inside Jiya's mouth, trying to look at her cavity tooth. The situation had gotten worse and demanded immediate medical aid. Unable to keep her mouth open any longer, Jiya exclaims softly in pain :-

Jiya(holding her cheek): Aah...Mumma it's paining...

Naira moves away from Jiya and turns off her flashlight.

Naira(caressing Jiya's cheek): Baby...don't eat any solid food for now...try to sip that juice I bought for you, okay??

Jiya nods obediently.

Naira: Aaj shaam ko hum dentist ke pass chalege...I'll take an appointment right away, alright?

Jiya(nodding meekly): Hmm...

She turns back and paves her way towards her seat.

Naira gets up from her seat and walks outside the classroom with her phone.

She starts dialing someone and presses the phone to her ear, waiting for the call to be picked up.

At last, the call was received from the other side.

Receptionist(cheerfully): Hello....this is All Smiles Dental Clinic...how can we help you?

Naira: Hi...I need Dr. Aarushi Pillai's appointment, at what time will she be available today?

Receptionist(checking her laptop): Uh...Dr. Aarushi will be available from 5:30 pm in the evening Mam...may I know your name please??

Naira: Naira Ahuja...I need an appointment for my daughter Jiya Ahuja...

Receptionist(typing something on laptop): Sure Mam....I've booked your appointment in advance...I'll send you the details on your phone number...I'll update Dr. Aarushi too...you can be here at 6 pm...!!

Naira(smiling): Sure...thank-you...I'll be there...

Naira ends the call and turns back to walk inside the classroom, when she stops in her tracks abruptly as her phone starts ringing again.

It was Kulkarni's call - the broker.

Naira halts and receives the call, pressing the phone to her ear.

Naira: Ji Kulkarni Ji...boliye...saara samaan flat ke andar chala gaya??

Kulkarni: Ji madam Ji....saara samaan toh rakh diya hai flat ke andar....lekin...(sighs) ek gadbad ho gayi hai...

Naira(worried): Ab kya ho gaya?? (tucks a strand of hair behind her ear)

Kulkarni: Madam....woh jo society ke secretary hain na??

Naira: Mr. Reddy??

Kulkarni: Haan....he has a problem with you staying here....

Naira(clueless): Kyu??

Kulkarni: Because you are a divorcee...

Naira(not believing): What rubbish?!

Kulkarni: I know...its rubbish...but he's being adamant...aapne uss form mein yeh kyu likha ki aap talaakshuda hain??

Naira: Huh....What do you mean by kyu likha?? Uss form mein ek column tha jahan extra information likhni thi, so I wrote it there...because it's an important information right....and aap mujhse yeh kyu puch rahe hain...aapne flat finalise karte time Mr. Reddy ko nahi bataya tha ki main divorcee hoon??

Kulkarni: Mene yeh baat nahi batayi, isliye aapko itni asaani se flat mil gaya madam ji....lekin ab he's not ready to give you the flat...koi society meeting rakhi hai isse related unhone...uske baad hi aapko kuch pata chal payega....

Naira(annoyed): Is he nuts??

Kulkarni(sighs in defeat): Ab kya karna hai??

Naira: Kya karna hai matlab? I want that flat anyhow....mene Mr. Reddy ko advance rent bhi de rakha hai...agar iske baad bhi woh koi drama karege toh main bhi peeche nahi hatne wali...

Kulkarni(nodding): Hmm....main bhi unse baat karne ki koshish karta hoon....

Naira: Haan please.....

Naira ends the call and sighs in disbelief. She keeps staring at the wall.

Naira(murmuring to herself): Jab mere khud ke parents ne mujhe paraya kar diya because I divorced the man of their choice....toh main dusro se kya ummeed rakhu...

The screen freezes at her blank face.

Precap: Kartik and Naira Meet Again...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

907K 57.4K 64
INTRODUCING Manik malhotra~asias no.1 youngest business tycoon..age 26 yrs..winning businessman of the year awards frm past 3 yrs..mood switches...so...
3.9M 187K 73
" HOW DARE YOU TRY TO HURT MY SON??" he shouted at her, his eyes bloodshot. "DON'T SHOW ME THAT FAKE TEARS OF YOURS. I KNOW YOU ARE JUST MASKING YOU...
12.4K 734 28
Naira Singhania: A 25-year-old, she works as an interior designer. She's kind, independent, and a beautiful mother to a 9-month-old. She lives separa...