evergreen ↠ harry styles ✓

By hesasnowflake

[Neither of them promised forever, yet it hurt all the same.] River Hamilton cannot afford to fall for just a... More

Introduction
+1
+2
+3
+4
+5
+7
+8
+9
+10
+11
+12
+13
+14
+15
+16
+17
+18
+19
+20
+21
+22
+23
+24
+25
+26
+27
+28
+29
+30
+31
+32
+33
+34
+35
+36
+37
+38
+39
+40
+41
+42
+43
+44
+45
+Epilogue

+6

1.1K 46 62
By hesasnowflake

+ + +

R.HAMILTON

River wore a nude sparkly dress that her mother had worn the very first time she went to the theatre with River's father. Strange as it may sound, the occasion was their first date, the night where her father decided to marry her mother. It made her smile to now wear that exact piece, a present from Natasha to her one and only daughter.

It was difficult to touch up her make-up in the orange lit bathroom of the theatre but River managed. Bright red lip. Subtle brown eyeshadow. Darkened lashes and eyebrows. Juliette materialised in the reflection, just over River's shoulder, as she existed the toilet stall, the door now in place with a soft click.

River placed her lipstick back in her clutch, and took a turn to face Juliette. Black material curled around her slim body, a sweetheart neckline emphasising her bust. Three rows of genuine pearls decorated her delicate neck. Shimmering highlighter accentuated her collarbones. Ever the princess she was raised to be.

Except for the fact that she was busy cleaning up her nose from whatever she snorted behind the privacy of closed doors.

Juliette refused to back down from the eye contact River initiated, but she did end up breaking the silence as she asked, "Atlas after this?"

"As usual," River responded. "I can't stay long tonight as I have a flight in the morning, though that shouldn't hold anyone else back."

The woman in black nodded and reached for the paper-towels to dry her hands. "That's a shame."

Perhaps it was. For River and Juliette partied like the next day would never come. Every time. The two women were the farthest from being friends, yet the moment they were in the dark, lights brightening their visions, alcohol coursing through their blood whilst trying to make peace with other substances they enjoyed from time to time, none of that mattered.

"Next time," River made the flimsy promise, then left without another word.

Truth be told, she only wanted to measure Juliette up before her date arrived. The woman in the bathroom seemed taken by Harry Styles, and although River couldn't blame her, she was much too fascinated by what would no doubt unfold before her.

It is certainly not every day that someone from a lower class catches the attention of a woman whose inheritance could potentially feed the whole of the country.

River made her way back to the hallway of the theatre, her steps purposeful yet delicate as they landed on the red velvet floor. Chatter surrounded her, and soft laughter, the gentle kiss of glasses as people toasted for whatever reason, and—there. Someone sneezed, which immediately cleared the radius around them.

"You'd think the person has a contagious deadly illness by the way people react to a sneeze," the comment came from River's left-hand side, somewhat funny until she recognised the deep rumble and associated it with the manager of the Hamilton Clubhouse.

Clad in black velvet trousers and matching blazer, no doubt Gucci if River had to guess based on the delicate detailing, with a black button-up, and similarly shaded, sleek Oxfords, Harry Styles fit in with the crowd as though he was born into it. The shock River expected never came, perhaps because she'd seen him clean up before this occasion—the dinner after Alden's announcement of becoming a father, then Adelaide Aid Gala.

A faint smile ghosted her face before she said, "One can never know."

"I suppose you are more familiar with these things than I am," he said as a matter of fact. If he meant that statement to be offensive, it failed to land. Truthfully, after Harry's complete and utter failure on the golf course he had no leg to stand on before River. "Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised to see you here."

River smiled at the woman who walked past her with a tray of flutes, filled with bubbling gold, and picked one off for herself. Turning back, she faced Harry once more, sipped her drink, then asked, "What made you think you wouldn't?"

"Besides your lack of clarification?"

"So, now you require a daily update on my whereabouts?"

A rough sound erupted from low in his throat, and River heard him perfectly, even over the chatter around them. It wasn't exactly a laugh nor a scoff—perhaps something in-between.

"That's not what I meant and you kno—"

"Oh, there you are!" Juliette's beaming voice put a harsh end to Harry's defensive response, and for one, River was much too pleased. The taste of the champagne soaked her tongue and bubbles caressed her throat while Juliette leisurely looped her arm through Harry's. "Good news, River is going to be joining us tonight at Atlas."

Harry turned his head from Juliette to glance back at River, and the only Hamilton in presence tonight, grinned. Impossible to miss the feeling of his dark green eyes over her body, from the top of her head to the tip of her toes. "Really," Harry said in the most monotone voice she has ever heard. It failed to round off of his tongue as a question which further proved his distaste for River's plans to be in attendance at the nightclub.

Whilst River became obnoxiously aware of the way Harry reacted, Juliette completely disregarded whatever happened in those two seconds. Instead, she encouraged Harry to move with the reasoning of their seat getting taken if they didn't hurry and get there on time, and they left River on her own.

Hilarious, for a number of reasons. One of them being the fact that no one would take their place since the McAllisters had one of the booths on the second level blocked out every weekend. Second of them being the fact that if River hadn't persuaded Harry to make the effort and attend, Juliette would've probably ended up at Atlas three hours earlier than anyone else.

River sighed as she considered the woman in her mind. Juliette McAllister was an interesting character. Never the kind to develop deep connection with anyone for she simply did not crave that sort of relation. Perhaps being the only child, raised by a nanny rather than parents, resulted in an absolutely detached adult woman.

Then again, River was raised by a nanny. With the exception that Natasha and Dexter tried their best to show up whenever they could. Birthdays. Graduations. Christmas—although this one deemed harder as the years had gone on. The gist of it is that River's parents showed up, whereas Juliette's would've rather visited Fiji than make it back home on time for their daughter's birthday.

Sometimes, River pitied the woman. Other times, she didn't think of her. Actually, most of the time—River had too many responsibilities to spend her free thoughts on people who made no difference to her life.

Relief washed over River as she sank into the red velvet seat of the Hamilton Box, the arm rests familiar. It brought comfort to her heart. The theatre was one of those special places, filled with memories from as early in her childhood as she could remember.

Specifically, her first time here. The moment she first saw the sea of seats, the stage in the centre of the room. Golden boxes on the left, on the right, her eldest brother, Dorian, pointing out which one they had booked out by name.

River inhaled a breath in present time, and was taken back to the moment where she was only a kid, and reached their box and touched the ledge. It felt cold against her skin and the detailing was intricate. She remembered how she leaned over and glanced down at people already in their floor seats. The gentle wind that brushed up against her left cheek when she leaned against the ledge with her back and tilted her face towards the ceiling, thrilled by the new view and gobsmacked by the beautiful artwork in her direct line of vision.

River's one of many ninth birthday presents had been to attend the world premiere of 'Wicked' in 2003. Her parents, Natasha and Dexter, and her two eldest brothers, Dorian and Alden, were there that night. The youngest of the Hamiltons had only turned two years old that year, and they couldn't possibly put him in an environment such as the theatre.

At some point, the play had started, and was now nearing the first interval but River needed to excuse herself. Too much in her own head, she felt the need to get some fresh air so she headed for the main entrance.

Night had fallen and with it came a chill that brought goosebumps to River's skin. She shivered in her dress and the wind blew her curls behind her shoulders. A pure white BMW drove past the street, and a group of men chuckled between themselves on the opposite road. They wore tailor fitted suits, their watch faces glinted against the street lamps. Someone had appeared from within the theatre and River knew it was due to the interval. When the gentleman lit a cigarette, River took one last fresh breath and made her way back inside.

Cakes were sold and drinks were spilled on the carpet, no doubt a great headache for the cleaners. River side stepped two of the women who were at fault but smiled when their eyes met for a quick second. Nothing like being tipsy at the theatre and making a show of one's self during the first interval.

"River, dear, it's so nice to see you!"

The deep voice which sounded only faintly similar to her father's, interrupted River's floating train of thought with ease. Up until that moment in time, River did not realise she stared into the distance—the distance which ended up being her uncle from her father's side.

A bright smile painted on her lips, she raised her right arm and gently ran a hand down her uncle's back.

"Uncle Ambrose, it's been too long," she said as they pulled back. River adjusted her smile as her top lip stuck to her teeth and she feared the lipstick would stain the white bones. Like second nature, she positioned her clutch before her body and folded her fingers around the leather. "I wasn't aware you would be in attendance tonight."

"Yes, yes," he ran his hands along the seams of his tuxedo, immaculate as always. The gel he worked into his salt and peppered hair shone softly under the lights. "The Missus and I had a date planned, but of course, she had to travel on short notice. I decided I might as well make something of my free evening, and here I am."

"How's Joanne?" River wondered.

"She is keeping herself busy as always," uncle Ambrose responded, a smile etched onto his lips as he spoke of his wife. "We're both deeply apologetic for having missed this year's Adelaide Aid Gala."

River tilted her head gently and her mouth formed an upside-down smile. "No apologies necessary. I completely understand why you couldn't make it."

Harvey, River's eldest cousin, had become a father the night of the gala. As usual, they received the invite for the night but due to his wife's water breaking right before they had gotten in the car, they couldn't possibly make it to the gala. They sent their apologies, and dozens of bouquets of flowers, chocolates, and two of the most gorgeous sets of diamond necklace and earrings for River and Natasha.

"You have another exciting weekend coming, dear, do you not? Is it Wales?"

"That's right," she nodded. For a moment, her eyes glanced to the side. Juliette and Harry. "I did have a fundraiser in Cardiff, though that was almost three weeks ago now."

"Oh, I am terribly sorry, my dear," he chuckled and reached over to smooth a hand down River's arm. "I am getting mixed up with my dates lately, it's becoming a problem."

"Nothing to fuss over, Uncle Ambrose," she reassured him. Once more, the movement from her right caused River's eyes to shift from her uncle. Juliette waved her hand in the air then slammed it against her chest. It was difficult to see but it seemed like she touched her heart. "Hopefully, we'll see each other fairly soon again?"

"Of that, I am certain, dear," he smiled widely, warmth pouring from his every action. One of the only uncles River felt so fond of.

"If you'll excuse me, I need to check on my... friends," she pulled a tight smile to her lips, and almost made it away when her uncle spoke again.

"Oh, are Miss Lowell and Forbes here tonight?"

"I'm afraid not those friends, Uncle," she chuckled. "I'll let them know you've said hi."

It pained River to leave her uncle behind but she was much too intrigued by Juliette's strange display of physicality. River had spent enough time around Juliette to know she never caused a scene in public for she feared the rumours it would ignite.

Rather than to allow the two to notice her, River took it up on herself to announce her presence as she called their names. "Juliette, Harry," and they shortly glanced at her.

It was a second before River noted Juliette's dilated pupils. No longer were her eyes the shade of the sea but rather the bottom of a cauldron.

"I don't know what's wrong with her," Harry said under his breath, aware of how this situation was out of the ordinary and therefore better to leave it out of the ears of people around them.

Beneath the lights of the theatre, River caught the shine of sweat around Juliette's hairline. Usually pale as snow coating the roof of houses during winter, Juliette's cheeks now resembled a ripe Pink Lady. Lips chapped as though they haven't seen a tub of lip balm in over a decade.

"Juliette, darling, would you like to get some fresh air with me?" she smiled, and, without taking her eyes off of the woman high on cocaine before her, River unhooked the chain of her bag and placed it on her shoulder. Her hands now free, she made to loop her right arm through Juliette's to encourage her to move.

"I would like to leave and go to Atlas," Juliette responded as she lifted her chin.

"About that... I have just received news that they are unable to open tonight," River lied. Slowly, they made their way to the front of the theatre, and it appeared Harry followed them close behind.

Juliette gasped. "What!"

The action caused heads to turn. River met each of them with a smile as if to reassure everything was fine. Then again, she supposed that to be the truth. This certainly wasn't the first time she put out a fire before it caused total destruction.

"Yes, terrible news, I'm afraid," she sighed, her hold strong on Juliette. More than before, she now noticed how Juliette swayed and River could've sworn she heard a heartbeat other than her own. "I know just the place to go instead."

Juliette responded in muffled words and sounds that never reached River's attention. One arm curled around Juliette while the other worked on a message to Tony, her driver, to pull up to the theatre. Usually, Tony drove around the nearby streets, grabbed food if he felt peckish, and otherwise spent his free time as he wished. When River called, he jumped, and honestly, the Hamilton didn't know what she would've done without the man.

Harry took over Juliette's weight and cradled her body with ease. The strange display of worry on his features brought River's thoughts to confusion because she had never seen Harry act this way before. The opportunity to witness something like this made her view change, not just mentally, but physically, as she slightly tilted her head and watched for a second.

For all his bad-mouthing Juliette, he seemed alert and panicked like he cared. Did he find something appealing about Juliette? The two times—to River's knowledge, anyway—they hung out, they barely had a chance to talk. Then again, while Harry and Juliette sat on one side of the theatre tonight, River remained opposite to them.

The sight of the familiar Black Diamond Rolls Royce broke River's herd of questions. With calculated steps, she moved over to the car but Tony got out before she could've even thought to ask. As always, Tony wore a pristine, Tom Ford suit, tailored to his specific measurements. Hair pushed back to perfection, a close-cut shave keeping his face more accentuated. Given the time of the day, he kept his Aviators off.

"Miss Hamilton," he dipped his chin in her direction before he made his way over to Juliette. The message she sent him a moment ago only stated: 'me and Juliette are ready to go home' and Tony knew. Of course, he knew. It was a coded message he had the privilege of receiving on more than one occasion. The only change would be the name, depending on who's ass River was saving from utter humiliation.

Only after Tony took Juliette in his arms and supported her to the car did River turn to look to Harry.

"You may return and enjoy the remainder of the play, if you wish," River smiled at him but it wasn't genuine. In all honesty, she was annoyed because her night was now ruined. "I trust Juliette arranged for you to be picked up afterwards."

Harry frowned before he homed his expressions. Shoved his hands in the pockets of his trousers. They looked oddly familiar but she couldn't put her finger on why.

Her attention had shifted, and she caught herself when Harry said, "I drove myself."

"I see," she nodded. Why, she wanted to ask. But all of a sudden, she felt sucked dry of energy, and she knew it had everything to do with the woman in the back of the Rolls. "In that case, you may see yourself home. I do apologise for the plans going askew."

"What happened with her tonight?" Harry asked. "She was fine before we'd gone in, then we came out and she started acting weird. Erratic, almost. Complained of chest pains, and being flustered."

Chest pains explained why River saw Juliette touch her chest. Not an ideal effect of cocaine usage but also not the most uncommon. Especially for Juliette.

"She is fine, Harry."

"Yet you're urging her to go home?"

River chuckled and she heard the car door close behind her. A second later, Tony said, "Are you ready, Miss Hamilton?"

She turned back and smiled at her chauffeur. "One second, please."

"Sure."

When she looked back to Harry, he awaited her response with raised eyebrows.

"I need to get her home for the night," she said. Better than to try and paraphrase 'her parents are going to hang her by her intestines if she is caught causing another public meltdown' by a mile. Truly, it shocked River to know Harry wasn't aware of it, considering it was all over social media. "You may call her tomorrow morning if you wish to know more because this is none of my business to share. I'm sure you can understand that much?"

Harry nodded as he stood down. River visibly saw his muscles loosen as he stopped his fight for an answer. Which, she realised, was yet another display of affection towards Juliette that she did not expect. Truly not after the way he reacted at Adelaide Aid Gala, then when River visited him at the Hamilton Clubhouse and told him Juliette wanted to see him.

What could've possibly changed in one night?

"Also, for what it's worth—if you go back, and finish the play, that is—Wicked is one of my favourites, and I'm certain you won't regret what's left of it."

And so with that, River turned around and took her usual seat in the back of her vehicle, ready for Tony to drive to Juliette's house. 

+ + +

Happy Friday! 

This was a little bit more relaxed - well, for everyone but Juliette, I suppose. Very important, though, to show a different side of River. Hearing about her being everyone's safety net is one thing, and her in action is entirely different. I feel like this also really showed how much of an outsider Harry is at this point and I can't wait to see how that changes throughout the story! 

See you next week for another one :) 

Love, B xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.5K 285 54
I'm Willow Anne McQueen....age 20 and a fashion designer......my life was perfect when it came to luxuries and a happy family......but I had a little...
256K 6.5K 99
#1 in harryfanfiction #1 in harryimagines #1 in 1dsmut Alexandra is in trouble. Her jobless no-good brother, Avery has lost all of the money their p...
336K 7.5K 47
[COMPLETED] It is well known that the world isn't a nice place. There are too many people and not enough humanity. Emma learns this very quickly when...
3K 73 34
Looking for a change after a long term relationship ends, 30 year old Sadie moves to London. Falling back on an old hobby, Sadie takes a job as a pho...