Pieces | LT ✔️

By lestwinsdesire

Book Cover Credit: Fine Art America More

Chapter One: Free
Chapter Two: Phenomena
Chapter Three: Connection
Chapter Four: Unforeseen
Chapter Six: Solace
Chapter Seven: Longing
Chapter Eight: The Search Begins
Chapter Nine: Open Arms
Chapter Ten: Heavy Heart
Chapter Eleven: The Meeting
Chapter Twelve: Deja Vu
Chapter Thirteen: Standing Firm
Chapter Fourteen: Coming Together
Chapter Fifteen: Uncertainty
Chapter Sixteen: Cupid's Arrow
Chapter Seventeen: Helping Hand
Chapter Eighteen: Dilemma
Chapter Nineteen: Injustice
Chapter Twenty: Emerge
Chapter Twenty One: Protocol
Chapter Twenty Two: All for Kya
Chapter Twenty Three: Resolution
Chapter Twenty Four: For the Best..

Chapter Five: Soul Tie

299 35 8
By lestwinsdesire

Laurent remains motionless...rendered speechless...his hands still in surrender, but his eyes no longer looking down the barrel of a gun. Instead, he's looking at the person holding it as he's blown away by the uncanny resemblance. It isn't merely having some of the same facial features, it's a shadow of himself and he's no longer in fear of the weapon before him. The lookalike stranger is rendered speechless as well...his eyes as wide and he's in just as much shock at the strikingly similar stranger he attempted to rob just moments ago that he couldn't go through with so the arm holding the gun slowly falls. With a broken voice he tells him, "I...I'm sorry" then turns around and runs away. If he ran into Laurent any other time he would be curious as to who this person and would even spark up a conversation. But, he's ashamed that he even attempted such a thing and seeing someone who looks exactly like him...knowing in his heart that there's a connection with the person he just held at gun point his speed picks up and he feels the wind drying the tears that are streaming down his face. He stops at a boardwalk with a stream of cloudy water underneath. It takes him several moments to go from labored breathing to much softer breaths. He then raises the gun to stare at it then looks down at the creek water. Seconds later he raises his arm, and giving it his all, he tosses it and watches it fly through the air then plop in the water. He turns around and plops down on the concrete and can't help but burst into tears again...  

~meanwhile~

Laurent watched this man run away, and while he knows he's connected to him, the overwhelming shock precluded him from calling out to him. He's long gone now and Laurent doesn't turn his head from that direction. He's unaware that Greg and Jalisa have walked out of the venue to head for Greg's car, only Jalisa sees Laurent and concern instantly comes over her because of the state he appears to be in so she says to Greg, "baby, I think something is wrong with Laurent" prompting Greg to turn in the direction she's looking. He tells her that he's going to see what's wrong and when she asks if she should join him he insists that she waits in the car since it's late and he doesn't know what happened or what danger could be lurking. He gives her the keys and sweetly tells her to get inside and lock the doors. He jogs across the street but approaches Laurent very delicately as to not alarm him since he hasn't noticed that Greg is standing next to him. He calls his name in a gentle voice then asks if he's ok. Laurent doesn't answer right away so Greg calls for him again. This time, Laurent speaks up...

Laurent: "I was almost robbed".

Greg: "Oh no". *pause* "Wait. What do you mean almost"?

Laurent: "He was going to until we looked at each other".

Greg: "You know each other"?

Laurent: "No, but he looked exactly like me".

Greg: "Well we all have a doppelganger, but why do you look like you've seen a ghost"? 

Laurent: "He wasn't a doppelganger. People who have one aren't related to them. They just look like them. This guy looked like...my twin. My blood twin".

Greg: "You don't have a twin".

Laurent slowly turns his head to finally make eye contact with him...

Laurent: "I do, and I need to go and find him".

Greg: "Woah, Laurent. Just hold on ok"?

Laurent: "You said you saw someone who you were sure looked like me at the food drive".

Greg: "Yeah I did bro because you had on the same color shirt and hairstyle so I thought...."

Laurent: "But you only saw the back of his head. If you saw his face like I just did you would agree with me. I'm going to find him".

Greg: "Laurent, you said he had a gun so I don't think it's safe to go after him".

Laurent: "Look if he wanted to hurt me he would have. He wouldn't have cared that we look like and did what he came to do, but he didn't. He said sorry then turned to run away". *pause* "I also saw a bruise on his face. I don't know what's happened in his life where he's being hurt or feels he has to rob people, but that's what I need to find out because he's a part of me. I know he is and I'm wasting time talking. I'm going to look for him".

Laurent then opens his car door and as he's getting in he hears Greg in a concerned voice tell him, "just please be careful bro. Please". Laurent nods then cranks the engine as he's shutting the door and with his seat belt fastened he leaves the parking space...his tires screeching as he takes off down the road. Since he was on foot Laurent is certain he couldn't have gone very far so he's for sure to find him...but after twenty minutes he doesn't. He looks everywhere he can or thinks he should, but nothing. He starts to beat himself up for not calling out to him as he ran away, but that makes him all the more determined to find him. He tries alleys, an abandoned building and even tries the boardwalk, unbeknownst to him, where Larry was. He's unaware that Larry decided to go back and find him so he can apologize again, but also because he just could not ignore their resemblance and the feeling he has of them being connected. Twenty minutes turns into an hour and because it was such a busy day he's tired so he will try again tomorrow. With plenty of rest and the sunlight he truly believes he will find him though he's prepared to search again at night if need be. He has to find him...

*****

It's 10 pm when Laurent arrives home. He walks down the hall to his bedroom where he changes out of his suit into a pair of thin sweats and a t-shirt. He walks over to the bathroom to wash his face and brush his teeth before going to his bed to get under the covers, but sleep will take a while to consume him. As one can imagine, it's mind blowing to go from celebrating the beautiful engagement of his good friends to a gun in his face then making such a huge discovery and now all he can think of are his visions and his dream that he expressed to his mom. It then comes to him that while he has every intention to find Larry, he has to go to his parents home first thing in the morning to tell them about this...

~the next day~

Laurent got up early to get ready and arrived at his parents home at 8 am. He knows mom is already up because she always makes a big breakfast for she and her husband on Sunday mornings. When he walks in he smells the smell of baking which just from the aroma he knows that it's her famous made from scratch scones. He also smells bacon and while it's usually for her and Pop she'll happily make a plate for him since he's here. Pop isn't in his chair so he's likely still asleep. He walks in the kitchen and sees her at the stove so as to not alarm her he softly greets her. She turns in his direction, and while surprised, she's of course happy to see to him so they walk towards each other for a big hug and kiss...

Vera: *smile* "Hi sweetheart. I wasn't expecting to see you this morning".

Laurent: *smile* "I know. The food smells great as usual". 

Vera: *smile* "Thank you my love. It's almost ready so your father should be down here any minute now". *chuckles* "He always knows when the food is done".

Laurent: *chuckles* "I know. The party went well last night. Greg and Jalisa are engaged".

Vera: *smile* "That's wonderful. I'm happy for them".

Laurent: *smile* "Me too".

Vera goes back to the stove to finish up when she hears in a more serious tone...

Laurent: "Mom I really need to talk to you".

Vera: "Oki sweetie. Just let me take the last batch of this bacon out and I'm all ears".

Laurent: "Oki".

Vera gives him a sweet smile and wink then finishes up the bacon before opening the oven to take out the freshly baked scones and setting them on the counter. Now she's free to have a morning talk with her son...

Vera: "What's going on honey"?

Laurent doesn't speak right away as he's trying to formulate the words. When he woke up this morning he was still just as shocked as he was last night. On the drive over here he also tried to predict what her reaction would be. If she really doesn't know much about Laurent's life before they adopted him then she will be just as shocked, but if she does know, now is the time for her to hopefully tell him what he needs to know. When she notices that it's taking him a minute to speak she grows concerned...

Vera: "Sweetheart? What's going on"?

*brief pause*

Laurent: "Mom, when I was leaving the party last night something happened". *pause* "I almost got robbed".

Naturally this frightens Vera and her eyes widen as she covers her mouth...

Laurent: "But he didn't rob me because he noticed that we look exactly alike...

Vera slowly drops her hands then looks at him extremely confused...

Vera: "Exactly like you"?

Laurent: "Yes. Greg says that everyone has a doppelganger but I really don't think that's it. I believe this person is my twin". *pause* "My long lost twin".

Vera is suddenly stripped of words and when Laurent notices...

Laurent: "I know. I was just as surprised as you are now, and he knows we're twins too because instead of going through with robbing me he said sorry then ran away. I don't think he wanted to rob me or anyone that night. I think he's had a hard life and I need to find him so I came here to ask you again if there's something about my life or my adoption that I don't know about".

*silence*

Laurent: "Mom, please tell me. Please".

Vera is still stunned, but also knowing this conversation would come up again and Laurent being more adamant than he was before, she takes in a deep breath...

Vera: "Honey, all your father and I were told is that you were in a situation that you really needed to get out of. I didn't need to hear anything else because I knew you were supposed to be a part of this family so we jumped at the chance to adopt you".

Laurent: "That's beautiful mom, and thank you, but you weren't told I had a twin"?

Vera: "No we weren't. If we knew we would have taken both of you. We wouldn't have let you be separated my love. That's the truth".

Laurent: "I believe you mom. It's just...he is my twin. It's obvious and I feel it in my heart so I don't understand what this situation was and why we were separated". *pause* "Now I know why I've been having these visions".

Vera: "Visions? You only told me about one. You had another"?

Laurent: "Yes I did. It was a few nights ago. I heard arguing and I'm certain it wasn't my neighbors. I also felt a warm sensation on my cheek, but when I looked in the mirror nothing was there. When we noticed each other I saw a bruise on his cheek. Don't you see? He's a part of me and that's why my cheek felt that way. I don't care about what he tried to do. There's a reason he set out to rob someone that night and it wasn't because of being a bad person. That's why I need to find him".

Vera: "I understand honey".

Laurent: "Thanks mom".

Vera: "Of course my love, and when you find him we will all love to meet him".

Laurent: *smile* "I love you".

Vera: *smile* "I love you too sweetheart".

While Laurent didn't get what he had hoped for, he's thankful for her. He shares the same news with his dad during breakfast who stands in agreement that they will all love to meet him. When breakfast is finished Laurent announces that he's going to search for him now so after family hugs he leaves. His first stop was the area where the party was held last night, but he doesn't have any success there. He also makes it a point to check the area where he and his staff held the food drive since Greg spotted him there, but again, he's nowhere to be found so he drives around until he realizes he can check the nearby shelter which is a short distance away and internally he's hopeful that he will have success here. Since he doesn't know his name he could only ask the front desk worker if someone is staying there who looks exactly like him only he's informed that for protection they can't give out the names of those staying there. It's certainly a let down, but Laurent also understands and he doesn't lose hope. He's been searching for a couple of hours then decides to go home and get some more rest before trying again. He knows he will locate him, and he also has an idea to ask his mom about the adoption agency they went through and hopefully they will be able to give him more information about their birth mother...

Laurent spent most of the afternoon just thinking about other places he can check, but something tells him to go back to the food drive location again which isn't too far away from the homeless shelter he checked. It's later in the evening, the sun completely set and as he's walking along he sadly sees many homeless people. Some he recognizes from yesterday as they received food. He then hears someone saying, "hey I just saw you" prompting him to turn around. The man then asks, "how did you change your clothes so fast"? Laurent's eyes widen and he anxiously replies...

Laurent: "That wasn't me, but he does look like me and I really need to find him so please, tell me where you saw him".

Man: "Near those shops around the corner. Looks like he was window shopping or something".

Laurent: "Thank you".

The man barely gets a response out before Laurent is turning around and heading in the direction given. He steps on the sidewalk and his walking has picked up as he now has an increased sense of urgency. Finally, he sees him only his back is turned so he's careful in his approach. When he's directly behind him he says, "hey" in a soft voice. Larry turns around and instead of his eyes being widened in shock he just softly stares at him. Laurent looks at him the same. Larry then says "hey" in return, but before Laurent can say anything else...

Larry: "I'm sorry for last night. I'm really sorry. It was wrong and...."

Laurent: "I'm not here for that". *pause* "I'm here because I think you can agree that we need to talk".

Laurent then sees a restaurant behind Larry...

Laurent: "We can go to that restaurant over there".

Larry: "Yeah oki".

Laurent motions his hand for Larry to turn around and walk first. He's following closely behind and when they go inside Laurent requests a booth which they're immediately seated as it wasn't too busy. It's a bit awkward at first sitting across from each other, but it also feels surreal. Larry can't help but look down as he's still so ashamed of what he did, but he eventually looks back up at him. Laurent's eyes never deviated from him as he feels the same as Larry looking at his own face...so many questions running through his mind. A server walks by their table carrying a tray of food and Laurent notices Larry looking at it as if he's terribly hungry which is Laurent's fear that he doesn't eat much and that's one of the reasons he needed fast money. Laurent softly asks, "would you like something to eat? I'll pay for it". Larry looks at him for a moment and softly replies, "please". Laurent sweetly instructs him to order whatever he would like off the menu they were given upon being seated. It doesn't take him long to decide and Laurent orders something too. The server comes over just in time and when she goes to put their orders in they go back to looking at each other...

Laurent: "So what's your name"?

Larry: "Larry. Yours"?

Laurent: "Laurent". *pause* "Laurent and Larry. Definitely sounds like twin names".

Larry: "Yes they do".

Laurent: "I've been looking for you all day".

Larry: "Really", he asks softly.

Laurent: "Yeah", he also replies softly.

Larry: "I feel so bad. I came back to say sorry again but, I couldn't find you".

Laurent: "Well we're here now and that's what matters". *pause* "Where did you grow up"?

Larry: "Here. You"?

Laurent: "About thirty minutes away". *pause* "How was it growing up"?

Larry: "It wasn't the greatest. My mom was oki, but my dad didn't bother with me much. I always knew something was different. I knew there was a reason I wasn't connecting with them. Not just the fact that I didn't look like them". *pause* "I hope your life was better than mine".

Laurent: "It was good, but I want to know what happened to you".

Larry: "What do you mean", he asks softly.

Laurent: "I think the person I saw last night wasn't the real you. The tough exterior, the protective shell, the fast life is because whatever happened in your life made you feel you had to be that way. It's your security blanket. On the inside of you there's a real softness. A real sweetness". *pause* "A real beauty".

Larry feels his heart flutter from such endearing words and lowers his eyes as he asks in the same soft voice...but also an emotional one...

Larry: "How do you know all that about me"?

Laurent: "It isn't hard to tell", he replies softly.

The beautiful tone of Laurent's voice is endearing to Larry's soul so he looks at him with an equally endearing look. The server is now back with their food and they both give her a gentle thank you before Larry digs in. Laurent's heart breaks at the sight of him eating so fast and it takes everything in him not to cry. He just eats his own entree and when they finish the server comes to clear the table as Laurent asks for the check...

Laurent: "Did you get enough to eat"?

Larry: "Yes I did, thank you".

Laurent: "My pleasure".

Larry: "So um, where do we go from here"?

*brief pause*

Laurent: "I want you to come and live with me".

Larry: "You do"?

Laurent: "Of course. You're a part of me. It's clear".

Larry: "You bought me food and now you're offering me your home after what I did"?

Laurent: "Yes because I know you didn't mean to hurt me last night".

Larry can no longer hold his tears back and as he drops his head he replies in a crying, broken voice...

Larry: "No I didn't". *sniff* "The gun wasn't even loaded. I was just so desperate. I went to jail for a while and I just got out. I've been looking for work and haven't found anything. Because my dad hates me he wouldn't let me stay there so my mom agreed to let me sneak in just so I could have somewhere to sleep but, he found out. We had a fight and he made my mom tell me I couldn't stay there anymore". 

Laurent sees his emotional twin and whispers, "it's oki" prompting Larry to look back up at him...

Laurent: "I'm so sorry that happened to you".

Larry: "Thank you", he breathes out.

Laurent takes a fresh napkin from the holder on the table and hands it to him, and as Larry dabs his tears away...

Laurent: "Please come and live with me. I will help you heal and be there for you in any way I can". *pause* "There's also missing pieces of our lives and I think we should put those pieces together...together".

Larry is still emotional but looking so softly at him, and knowing exactly what Laurent's last statement means, he nods in agreement. Without another word Laurent gently places his open hand on the table. Larry looks at it and knows that he's waiting for him to connect his hand with his so he raises his hand and places it over. They instantly give each other a tight squeeze and he's now watching Laurent's thumb rub the back of his hand in a side to side motion. A single tear falls from Larry's eye then he looks back up at him. The server brings the bill so Laurent pays then they get up to leave. They walk the short distance to Laurent's car and he tells Larry that there's one stop he wants to make as he's sure Larry needs some basic necessities. Laurent paid for a few packs of underwear, t-shirts and socks. Toiletries such as soap, toothpaste and a toothbrush in which Larry is extremely grateful...

*****

Finally at Laurent's home Larry is amazed at how big and beautiful it is. It's even more beautiful inside...

Laurent: *smile* "Excuse the clothes and such out of place. I've been busy for the last few days".

Larry: *smile* "It's a beautiful home".

Laurent: *smile* "Thank you. Let me give you a tour".

Laurent shows him the kitchen and the laundry room which includes a table for folding. He then stops by the first bedroom which is Laurent's home office. Larry notices the computer and it looks as if he wants to ask something...

Laurent: "What is it", he asks softly.

Larry: "I was just wondering if you would mind me using the computer to find a job".

Laurent: *smile* "Of course you can".

Larry flashes him a smile too then watches Laurent step over to the desk to write something down which he informs Larry is the password. He will show Larry his bedroom last as there's something else he wants to show him that's outside. He leads him to the back patio and Larry is surprised to see a pool. Since it's night it's even more spectacular because the pool lights are on and the moon is glowing just above...

Larry: "Wow. How often do you swim out here"?

Laurent: "Mostly on the weekends. You can swim whenever you want. We can also swim together".

Larry: *smile* "I would like that".

Laurent: *smile* "Great".

They go back inside and he's shown Laurent's room which is big and beautifully decorated. He then shows Larry his room that's big and beautifully decorated too...

Laurent: "You have a six-drawer dresser, your own TV and a walk in closet".

Larry: "This is perfect". *pause* "Everything is perfect. Thank you again".

Laurent: *smile* "Welcome". *pause* "I'll let you get settled in".

Laurent then leaves Larry to do exactly that and the first thing he wants to do is take a shower. It feels good to take a hot shower and when he gets out he can hear Laurent doing the same. He goes back to his room to change into one of the t-shirts and a pair of sweats Laurent purchased for him. Minutes later he hears a knock at the door so he turns his head...

Laurent: *smile* "How was your shower"?

Larry: *smile* "It was great and just what I needed. How was yours"?

Laurent: *smile* "Relaxing". *pause* "I have one more thing to give you".

Larry: *smile* "What"?

Laurent steps inside and now that they're standing face to face Laurent holds up a single key...

Laurent: "A copy of the house key".

Larry gently takes it from him, but is slightly confused on how he got the key made so fast...

Laurent: *smile* "I was determined to find you so I had it made earlier today".

Larry: *smile* "I'm glad you did find me".

Laurent: *smile* "Me too".

*brief pause*

Laurent: "Well I have to get up early for work so, good night".

Larry: "Good night", he whispers.

Laurent turns around to leave the room, but before he shuts the door he looks back at Larry to give him a smile that Larry gives right back to him. He then gets under the covers and turns to his side. Laurent is in his bed and laying in the same position...neither of them aware that they both have a small smile on their faces now that they've found each other...

-----------------

A/N: Quite a moment between them at the restaurant. I hope everyone enjoyed. Update coming soon. Thanks for reading. :) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

305K 4.3K 46
..
4.1K 473 26
Continuation of Afraid to Love. ~~~~~ If you paid for this book and/or are reading this story on a website other than Wattpad you are contributing to...
9.8K 533 18
Read to find out
70.9K 4K 32
Larry and Laurent Bourgeois, a married couple, have been very happy for the most part. However Laurent, an attorney with the most successful firm in...