A Family from Gallifrey (Doct...

By BuckeyeGirl2002

Doctor Who chronicled the adventures of an eccentric time-traveling scientist from the remote planet Gallifre... More

Rose
The End of the World
The Unquiet Dead
Aliens of London
World War Three
Dalek
The Long Game
Father's Day
The Empty Child
The Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N Dance
Boom Town
Bad Wolf
The Parting of the Ways
The Christmas Invasion
New Earth
Tooth and Claw
A Fight in Newark Ohio
School Reunion
The Girl in the Fireplace
The Age of Steel
The Idiot's Lantern
The Impossible Planet
The Satan Pit
Love and Monsters
Fear Her
Army of Ghosts
Doomsday

The Rise of Cybermen

7 0 0
By BuckeyeGirl2002

[Laboratory]

(A man in a lab coat presses a button, and backlights a humanoid figure.)

KENDRICK: The prototype has passed every test, sir. It's working.

LUMIC: I hardly think working is the correct word.

(Lumic moves his electric wheelchair forward.)

LUMIC: That would apply only to machines.

KENDRICK: I'm sorry. I should say, it's alive.

LUMIC: Can it hear me?

KENDRICK: It might still be in shock. Bear in mind the brain has been welded to the exoskeleton.

LUMIC: Skin of metal and a body that will never age or die. I envy it. Do you know me? Answer. Do you know me?

CYBERMAN: You are John Lumic.

LUMIC: My child. Mark this day, Doctor Kendrick. We are blessed.

KENDRICK: Well, it's not quite over yet, sir. We need Geneva's approval. Technically, this is a new form of life, and that contravenes the Bio-convention. They need to ratify this.

LUMIC: And they will refuse me.

KENDRICK: Nonetheless, we need to tell them.

LUMIC: And if I don't?

KENDRICK: Well then, I'm sorry, sir, but it's my duty. I shall have to inform them.

LUMIC: And how will you do that from beyond the grave?

KENDRICK: I don't quite understand.

LUMIC: Kill him.

(The Cyberman puts a gauntlet on Kendrick's shoulder and sends electricity through his body. Lumic turns away, smiling, and uses the intercom on his wheelchair.)

LUMIC: Captain?

CAPTAIN [OC]: Yes, sir.

LUMIC: Inform all staff. We have a new destination. Set sail for Great Britain!

[Tardis]

DOCTOR: And that weird munchkin lady with the big eyes? Do you remember? the way she looked at you! And then she opens her mouth and fire comes out!

ROSE: I thought I was going to get frazzled!

MADDIE: Yeah. One minute she's standing there, and the next minute roar!

MICKEY: Yeah. where was that, then? What happened?

Y/N: Oh, it was on this er, this er planet thing. Asteroid. It's a long story, you had to be there. Er, what're you doing that for?

MICKEY: Because you told me to.

DOCTOR: When was that?

MICKEY: About half an hour ago

MADDIE: Er, you can let go now.

MICKEY: Well, how long's it been since I could've stopped?

Y/N: Ten minutes? Twenty? Twenty nine?

MICKEY: You just forgot me!

DOCTOR: No, no, no. I was just, I was, I was calibrating. I was just. No, I know exactly what I'm doing.

(And the time rotor blows up.)

LOKI: What's happened?

MADDIE: The time vortex is gone. That's impossible. It's just gone. Brace yourself! We're going to crash!

(The Tardis comes to a sudden stop, and gas masks drop from the ceiling. The power is off.)

Y/N: Everyone all right? Rose? Mickey? Loki?

MICKEY: I'm fine. I'm okay. Sorry. Yeah.

DOCTOR: She's dead. The Tardis is dead.

ROSE: You can fix it?

MADDIE: There's nothing to fix. She's perished. The last Tardis in the universe. Extinct.

LOKI: We can get help, yeah?

Y/N: Where from?

ROSE: Well, we've landed. We've got to be somewhere.

DOCTOR: We fell out of the vortex, through the void, into nothingness. We're in some sort of no place. The silent realm. The lost dimension.

(Mickey opens the door.)

MICKEY: Otherwise known as London.

[Lambeth Pier]

MICKEY: London, England, Earth. Hold on.

(Mickey picks up a discarded newspaper.)

MICKEY: First of February this year not exactly far flung, is it?

MADDIE: So this is London.

MICKEY: Yep.

Y/N: Your city.

MICKEY: That's the one.

DOCTOR: Just as we left it.

MICKEY: Bang on.

MADDIE: And that includes the Zeppelins?

MICKEY: What the hell?

(Massive airships pass overhead.)

LOKI: That's beautiful.

MICKEY: Okay, so it's London with a big international Zeppelin festival.

Y/N: This is not your world.

MICKEY: But if the date's the same, it's parallel, right? Am I right? Like a parallel Earth where they've got Zeppelins. Am I right? I'm right, aren't I?

DOCTOR: Must be.

ROSE: So, a parallel world where

MICKEY: Oh, come on. You've seen it on films. Like an alternative to our world where everything's the same but a little bit different, like, I don't know, traffic lights are blue, Tony Blair never got elected.

LOKI: And he's still alive.

(Rose and Loki are staring at an advert for Vitex Lite, cherry flavour, starring Pete Tyler.)

ROSE: A parallel world and my dad's still alive.

MADDIE: Don't look at it, Rose and Loki. Don't even think about it. This is not your world.

LOKI: But he's my uncle and

(They touch the advert, triggering a short film.)

PETE [advert]: Trust me on this.

ROSE: Well, that's weird. But he's real.

PETE [advert]: Trust me on this.

LOKI: He's a success. He was always planning these daft little schemes. Health food, drinks and stuff. Everyone said they were useless. But he did it.

Y/N: Rose and Loki, if you've ever trusted me, then listen to me now. Stop looking at it. Your father's/uncle's dead. He died when you were six months old and when you were a year old, Loki. That is not your Pete. That is a Pete. For all we know, he's got his own Jackie, his own Rose, and his own Loki . His own daughter and nephew who are someone else, but not you. You can't see him. Not ever.

PETE [advert]: Trust me on this. Trust me on this. Trust me on this. Trust me on this.

[The Tyler house]

(Luxury Lexus PETE 1 crunches up the gravel driveway of a small mansion. Pete Tyler gets out of the driver's seat holding a bouquet, and goes inside.)

PETE: Hello? Sweetheart? Only me.

(Jackie comes down the staircase.)

JACKIE: Oh, the bad penny. Was this your idea? Don't deny it. It's got your fingerprints all over it. Trust me on this. Oh, I can trust you all right. Trust you to cock it up.

PETE: What have I done now?

JACKIE: Have a look.

[Drawing room]

(Servants are bustling about. A large banner is hung between two pillars - Happy 40th Birthday.)

PETE: What's wrong with that?

JACKIE: Forty. It says forty.

PETE: You are forty.

JACKIE: Well, I don't want the whole world telling, do I?

PETE: You're having a party tonight.

JACKIE: My thirty ninth. My official biography says I was born on the same day as Cuba Gooding Junior, and that makes me thirty nine, thank you very much. Rose and Loki!

[Entrance hall]

(Jackie calls up the stairs.)

JACKIE: Come here, Rose and Loki!

PETE: These are from the girls in the office. Happy birthday.

JACKIE: I've got hand sculpted arrangements by Veronica of Reykjavik, and your secretary stopped off at a garage? I don't think so. And if you're giving out presents, where's my Zeppelin? Everyone else has got one. Rose and Loki? Come on, Rose and Loki! Look, you didn't even notice, did you? Special delivery. Got sent round today.

(Jackie is wearing a very bling bluetooth-like device in each ears. Pete's are quite ordinary by comparison.)

JACKIE: Birthday present from Mister Lumic. Latest modal. Diamond studded. Pick up signals from Venezuela.

PETE: Why would you want to pick up signals from Venezuela?

JACKIE: Well, I don't know, but now I can find out. For God's sake, where is she? Rose? Oh, she needs a good bath before tonight. She's going to be honking. Rose and Loki, come to mummy and auntie!

(A tiny lap dog and a child appears on the stairs. Jackie goes up to them.)

JACKIE: Come on. There you are, my darlings.

(Pete's phone rings. He activates the earpiece.)

PETE: Mister Lumic! Jackie was just saying thank you.

[Lumic's Zeppelin]

PETE [OC]: That's very kind of you.

(Lumic does not wear his own product.)

LUMIC: Those ear pods are handmade. Tell her to take care.

[Entrance hall]

PETE: Course I will, course I will. I don't suppose you'd be joining us tonight for the party? We'd be very honoured.

[Lumic's Zeppelin]

LUMIC: The world below can party. Some of us have work to do.

[Entrance hall]

LUMIC [OC]: My plans have advanced, Peter. The President has

[Lumic's Zeppelin]

LUMIC: Promised a decision. I'm flying in now. We'll be at the airstrip by five o'clock.

PETE [OC]: Right.

[Entrance hall]

PETE: It's just that I promised I'd help the wife out tonight.

[Lumic's Zeppelin]

LUMIC: If the President of Great Britain can make this meeting, then so can you.

[Entrance hall]

PETE: Oh, I don't know. He's not married to Jackie, is he.

[Lumic's Zeppelin]

LUMIC: Five o'clock, Mister Tyler. Famous day.

(The conversation ends. Lumic takes a breath from his oxygen tank, and talks to his computer screen.)

LUMIC: Voice print access, John Lumic. Initiate ear pod override. Subject Jacqueline Tyler and Loki Laufeyson.

(Jackie and Loki is in her bedroom, sitting at her dressing table and powdering herself and Loki is watching her.)

LUMIC: Activate.

(Jackie is powdering her face at her dressing table when her and Loki's faces go blank. Rods come out of the ear pods and meet above their heads, Cyberman-style.)

LUMIC [OC]: Download Tyler residence, February the first. Give me security arrangements for tonight. Passwords, encryptions, services.

(The data is downloaded to Lumic's computer.)

LUMIC: And restore.

(The ear pods return to normal and Jackie carries on with her makeup and Loki continues watching her.)

LUMIC: Thank you, Misters Tyler. Activate picture link. Mister Crane?

CRANE [on screen]: Mister Lumic?

LUMIC: Events are moving faster than I anticipated. I need extra staff.

CRANE [on screen]: Very good, sir.

[Lorry cab]

(Crane is in the passenger seat of an articulated lorry.)

CRANE: I shall go on a recruitment drive. Back her up.

[Tardis]

DOCTOR: I told you to keep an eye on them.

MICKEY: They're all right.

MADDIE: They go wandering off. Parallel world, it's like a gingerbread house. All those temptations calling out.

MICKEY: Oh, so it's just Rose and Loki, then? Nothing out there to tempt me?

Y/N: Well, I don't know, I can't worry about everything. If I could just get this thing to

(The Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N kick the console.)

MICKEY: Did that help?

DOCTOR: Yes.

MICKEY: Did that hurt?

MADDIE: Yes. Ow.

[Embankment]

(Rose and Loki sit on a bench and watches the Thames, as Zeppelin propellers thrum above. There are lots of them. Air traffic control must be grateful they move so slowly. One passes overhead, barely missing the rooftop, then Rose's and Loki's phones beep. They have a message from the Cybus Network - Welcome! Free Trial Period. She gets IE24 News.)

NEWSREADER [on phone]: And it's good news for Great Britain as John Lumic returns to the country of his birth. Mister Lumic, the inventor of high content metal, has denied allegations of ill health.

LUMIC [on phone]: We're all flesh and blood, but the brain is what makes us human. And my mind is more creative than ever.

NEWSREADER [on phone]: With shares in Cybus Industries doubling in price, Mister Lumic is

(The Zeppelin continues to pass overhead, the noise from its rotors blocking out the newsreader's words.)

NEWSREADER [on phone]: In other news, the Torchwood Institute published a study claiming that

[Tardis]

Y/N: We're not meant to be here. The Tardis draws it's power from the universe, but it's the wrong universe. It's like diesel in a petrol engine.

MICKEY: But I've seen it in comics. People go hopping from one alternative world to another. It's easy.

DOCTOR: Not in the real world. It used to be easy. When the Time Lords and Ladies kept their eye on everything, you could hop between realities, home in time for tea. Then they died, and took it all with them. The walls of reality closed, the worlds were sealed. Everything became that bit less kind.

MICKEY: Then how did we get here?

MADDIE: I don't know. Accident? Should've been impossible. Now we're trapped. What's that?

(A tiny green light.)

MICKEY: What?

Y/N: That, there. Is that a reflection? It's a light! Is it? Is that a light? I think that's a light. That's all we need. We've got power! Mickey, Mom, and Dad we've got power! Ha!

[Waste ground]

(Opposite the Dome, the International Electromatics lorry backs in to where homeless people are living.)

CRANE: Gentlemen! Gentlemen! I beg your attention. Christmas has come early, so come and get it.

(The back of the lorry is opened and a ladder is lowered. Most of the trailer interior is behind plastic sheeting.)

CRANE: Oh, smell that, comrades. Burgers and chips. Sausage and beans. Pork, chicken, and hot, sweet tea. All for free.

(A young man runs up behind an older one.)

JAKE: Don't go.

MORRIS: But there's food!

CRANE: All you can eat, free of charge. Don't just stand there. Fill your faces with pasties and

JAKE: He's lying.

MORRIS: It's easy for you to say. When did you last starve?

JAKE: All those people disappearing off the streets. It's been going on for months. It's them. They're taking you away.

CRANE: Tomato soup.

MORRIS: What for?

JAKE: Experiments.

CRANE: But hurry, now.

MORRIS: No, I'm so hungry.

CRANE: So come and get it while it's hot. That's it, kind sir. Get in there and fill your face.

(Morris gets into the lorry. Jake uses a video camera whilst moving behind the old homeless shelters.)

CRANE: Feast yourself, brother. Feast yourself.

(Screaming starts. The trailer doors are closed.)

CRANE: Take them away.

MORRIS: No! Help!

[Tardis]

(The Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N have got down below the main part of the console.)

DOCTOR: It's alive!

MICKEY: What is it?

MADDIE: It's nothing. It's tiny. One of those insignificant little power cells that no one ever bothers about, and it's clinging onto life, with one little ounce of reality tucked away inside.

MICKEY: Enough to get us home?

Y/N: Not yet. I need to charge it up.

MICKEY: We could go outside and lash it up to the National Grid.

DOCTOR: Wrong sort of energy. It's got to come from our universe.

MICKEY: But we don't have anything.

MADDIE: There's us.

(The Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N cradle the green light in their hands and blow on it. It gets brighter.)

Y/N: We just gave away ten years of our lives. Worth every second.

(Rose and Loki uses their free trial to search for Peter Tyler on the Cybus Network.)

MICKEY: It's going out. Is that okay?

DOCTOR: It's on a recharging cycle. It'll loop round, power back up and be ready to take us home in, oo, twenty four hours?

MICKEY: So that gives us twenty four hours on a parallel world?

MADDIE: Shore leave. As long as we keep our heads down. Easy. No problem. Let's go and tell her.

[Embankment]

(The Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N has the power cell with them.)

Y/N: There you 2 are. You 2 all right? No applause. I fixed it. Twenty four hours, then we're flying back to reality. What is it?

ROSE: My phone connected. There's this Cybus Network. It finds your phone. It gave us Internet access.

DOCTOR: Rose and Loki, whatever it says, this is the wrong world.

LOKI: Rose doesn't exist.

MADDIE: What do you mean?

ROSE: There's no Rose Tyler. I was never born. There's Pete, my dad, Loki, and Jackie. He still married mum but they never had kids.

Y/N: Give me that phone.

LOKI: They're rich. They've got a house and cars, and everything they want. But they haven't got Rose. We've got to see him.

DOCTOR: You can't.

ROSE: I just want to see him.

MADDIE: I can't let you.

LOKI: You just said twenty four hours!

Y/N: You can't become their daughter, Rose, that's not the way it works. Mickey, tell her.

MICKEY: Twenty four hours, yeah?

DOCTOR: Where're you going?

MICKEY: Well, I can do what I want.

ROSE: I've got the address and everything.

MADDIE: Stay where you are, both of you. Rose and Loki, come back here! Mickey, come back here right now!

LOKI: I just want to see him.

MICKEY: Yeah, I've got things to see and all.

Y/N: Like what?

MICKEY: Well, you don't know anything about me, do you? It's always about Rose and Loki. I'm just a spare part.

ROSE: I'm sorry. I've got to go.

MICKEY: Go on, then. There's no choice, is there? You can only chase after one of us. It's never going to be me, is it?

DOCTOR: Back here, twenty four hours!

(The Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N run after Rose and Loki.)

MICKEY: Yeah. If I haven't found something better.

[Airstrip]

(Lumic's Zeppelin arrives. Pete Tyler is already there. An official Range Rover brings security men and our black President.)

PRESIDENT: Mister Tyler. What's the matter couldn't wait until tonight?

PETE: Mister President. Honoured. I'm on the fast track program. Cybus Industries have bought up my company, so I'm part of the firm now.

PRESIDENT: Some people say they've bought my Government.

PETE: I've never heard anybody say that. Never. You can trust me on this.

PRESIDENT: I tried your drink, that Vitex stuff. It tastes like pop.

PETE: Well, it is pop.

PRESIDENT: You made money by selling a health food drink to a sick world. Not quite the ordinary Joe you appear to be, are you? He does like to keep us waiting. But tell me. You've had a chance to observe John Lumic more than most. What's your opinion?

PETE: He's very sharp, I'd say. Sharp as ever. Very clever man. Brilliant, in fact.

PRESIDENT: Then you don't think he's insane?

PETE: That's not the word I would've used, no.

PRESIDENT: I see.

(The President goes up into the Zeppelin.)

[Street]

(Mickey walks past a vacant lot and up to an army roadblock.)

MICKEY: Am I all right to get past?

SOLDIER: Yeah. No bother. Curfew doesn't start till ten.

MICKEY: There's a curfew?

SOLDIER: Course there is. Where you been living, mate? Up there with the toffs?

(The Zeppelins.)

MICKEY: I wish. See you.

[Street 2]

(Armed soldiers on patrol here, too. The Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N have caught up to Rose and Loki.)

LOKI: Mickey's mum just couldn't cope. His dad hung around for a while, but then he just sort of wandered off. He was brought up by his gran. She was such a great woman. God, she used to slap him! And then she died. She tripped and fell down the stairs. It's about five years ago now. I was still in school.

MADDIE: I never knew.

ROSE: Well, you never asked.

Y/N: You never said.

LOKI: That's Mickey. I suppose I, we just take him for granted. Do you think she's still alive, his gran?

DOCTOR: Could be. Like I said, parallel world, gingerbread house. We need to get out of here as fast as we can.

(There is a beeping sound and everyone stops still, including the policeman.)

ROSE: What're they all doing?

MADDIE: They've stopped.

(Everyone's ear pod flashes.)

Y/N: It's the earpieces. Like Bluetooth attachments, but everyone's connected together.

LOKI: It's on my phone. It's automatic, look. It's downloading. Is this what they're all getting? News, international news, sports, weather.

DOCTOR: They get it direct. Downloaded right into their heads.

ROSE: TV schedules, lottery numbers.

MADDIE: Everyone shares the same information. A daily download published by Cybus Industries.

(The next download is Joke. The people laugh, then continue about their business.)

Y/N: You lot, you're obsessed. You'd do anything for the latest upgrade.

LOKI: Oi, not my lot. Different world, remember.

DOCTOR: It's not so far off your world. This place is only parallel. Oh, look at that. Cybus Industries, owners of just about every company in Britain, including Vitex. Mister Pete Tyler's very well connected. Oh, okay. I give up. Let's go and see him.

[Waterton Street SE15]

(Mickey rattles the knocker on number 1. An old West Indian woman calls out from inside.)

RITA ANNE [OC]: Who's that there?

(The door opens. The woman has a white stick, and a pair of ear pods.)

RITA ANNE: Who is it? I know you're there. Shame on you, tricking an old lady. I've got nothing worth stealing. And don't think I'm going to disappear! You're not going to take me.

MICKEY: Hi.

RITA ANNE: Is that you?

MICKEY: It's me. I came home.

RITA ANNE: Ricky?

MICKEY: It's Mickey.

RITA ANNE: I know my own grandson's name. It's Ricky. Now, come here.

(They hug.)

MICKEY: Okay, I'm Ricky. Of course I am. Ricky, that's me.

(She slaps him.)

MICKEY: Ow!

RITA ANNE: You stupid boy. Where have you been?

MICKEY: Ow! Stop hitting me!

RITA ANNE: It's been days and days! I keep hearing all these stories. People disappearing off the streets. There's nothing official on the download but there're all these rumours, and, and whispers. I thought that God had disappeared you!

MICKEY: That carpet on the stairs, I told you to get it fixed. You're going to fall and break your neck.

RITA ANNE: Well, you get it fixed for me.

MICKEY: I should have done way back. I guess I'm just kind of useless.

RITA ANNE: Now, I never said that.

MICKEY: I am, though. And I'm sorry, gran. I'm so sorry.

RITA ANNE: Don't talk like that. Do you know what you need? A nice sit down and a cup of tea. You got time?

MICKEY: For you, I've got all the time in the world.

RITA ANNE: Oh, you say that, but it's all talk. It's those new friends of yours. I don't trust them.

MICKEY: What friends are they?

RITA ANNE: Don't pretend you don't know. You've been seeing them. Missus Chan told me. Driving about all helter skelter in that van.

MICKEY: What van's that, then?

RITA ANNE: You know full well! Don't play games with me.

(The van that does a handbrake turn in the road behind them.)

RITA ANNE: Get inside.

(Jake jumps out of the van and grabs Mickey.)

JAKE: I've been looking for you everywhere!

(He pushes Mickey into the van and they drive off.)

RITA ANNE: Ricky! Ricky!

[Van]

JAKE: Ricky, you were the one who told us you don't contact your family because it puts them in danger.

MICKEY: Yeah. Ricky said that. Course I did, just testing.

JAKE: I saw them. I taped them. They went round Blackfriars gathering up the homeless like the child catcher. They must've took four dozen.

(The blonde woman driver speaks.)

MOORE: The vans were hired out to a company called International Electromatics. But I did a protocol search. Turns out that's a dummy company established by guess who?

MICKEY: I don't know. Who?

MOORE + JAKE: Cybus Industries!

JAKE: Well, now we've got evidence.

MOORE: Bad news is, they've arrested Thin Jimmy. So that just leaves you.

MICKEY: Leaves me what?

JAKE: The Number One. Top of the list. London's Most Wanted.

MICKEY: Okay, cool. Say that again?

[Lumic's Zeppelin]

(A presentation is underway.)

LUMIC: The most precious thing on this Earth is the human brain, and yet we allow it to die. But now Cybus Industries has perfected a way of sustaining the brain indefinitely within a cradle of copyrighted chemicals. And the latest advances in synapse research allows cyberkinetic impulses to be bonded onto a metal exoskeleton. This is the ultimate upgrade. Our greatest step into cyberspace.

PRESIDENT: I'm sorry. Could we stop it there? I don't need the pitch. I think we all know what this ultimate upgrade entails. And I'm here to tell you, John, the answer is no. My government does not give you permission. And I think no government ever will.

LUMIC: I prepared a paper for the Ethical Committee.

PRESIDENT: Oh, come on. It's not just unethical. It's obscene.

LUMIC: Mister President, if I might make a personal plea. I am dying, sir.

PRESIDENT: I'm aware of that. And I'm very sorry.

LUMIC: Without this project, you have condemned me. My inventions have advanced this whole planet. Would you have all that perish?

PRESIDENT: You're a fine businessman, John, but you're not God. I'm really very sorry, but I think we should end it there. Mister Tyler, I'll see you tonight. I think we could all do with a drink. Mister Lumic.

(The President leaves with a man in a white boiler suit.)

PETE: Still, it's not the only country in the world. There's always New Germany.

LUMIC: This is the home land. My birthplace. You may leave.

PETE: Thank you, sir.

(Pete leaves.)

LUMIC: Mister Crane?

CRANE [on screen]: Ready and waiting, sir.

LUMIC: Did the override work?

CRANE [on screen]: Well, needs a bit of fine tuning. We weren't exactly delicate, given the rush, but

[Control room]

CRANE: Yeah, yeah. It's all working. I've been testing the system, sir.

(A row of homeless men have flashing ear pods on.)

CRANE: They've grafted on a treat, these have. Given a little persuasion. If you care to observe, sir.

(Crane uses a remote control.)

CRANE: And turn to the right. And back to the left.

(The men obey.)

LUMIC [on screen]: Are you having fun, Mister Crane?

CRANE: Oh, no, no, not at all, sir no. It's just, well, it's irresistible.

LUMIC [on screen]: Then resist, and start the upgrade.

CRANE: Did we get permission?

LUMIC: I am governed by greater laws, old friend. The right of a man to survive. Now begin!

CRANE: And turn to the left. Forward march.

(The controlled men walk off through a door. Screaming starts.)

CRANE: Oh, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's cover up that noise. Er, give us track number nineteen.

(Wimoweh - The Lion Sleeps Tonight plays through the speakers. We are given glimpses of slashing blades and cutting wheels and a large industrial complex which zooms out to reveal it is the Battersea Power Station.)

[Street]

(Night.)

JAKE: There's a light on. There's someone inside the base. Missis Moore, we've got visitors.

(Jake and Moore have a gun.)

JAKE: One, two, three, go!

[Base]

(A familiar figure is inside the room. Mickey's jaw hits the floor.)

RICKY: What the hell are you doing?

JAKE: What're you doing there?

RICKY: What am I doing here? What am I doing there?

(Jake and Mrs Moore turn their guns on Mickey.)

[Outside the Tyler House]

(A stretched limo drives past the Doctor, Maddie, Y/N, Loki and Rose.)

MADDIE: They've got visitors.

ROSE: February the first. Mum's birthday. Even in a parallel universe, she still loves a party.

Y/N: Well, given Pete Tyler's guest list, I wouldn't mind a look. And there is one guaranteed way of getting inside.

LOKI: Psychic paper.

DOCTOR: Who do you want to be?

[Tyler house]

(Rose, Maddie, Y/N, Loki, and the Doctor carry trays of appetizers and champagne for the guests scattered through the ground floor.)

ROSE: We could have been anyone.

MADDIE: Got us in, didn't it?

LOKI: You're in charge of the psychic paper. We could've been guests. Celebrities. Sirs Doctor and Loki, Dames Rose, Maddie, and Y/N. We end up serving. Did enough of this back home.

Y/N: If you want to know what's going on, work in the kitchens. According to Lucy, that man over there

ROSE: Who's Lucy?

DOCTOR: She's carrying the salmon pinwheels.

LOKI: Oh, that's Lucy, is it?

MADDIE: Yeah. Lucy says, that is the President of Great Britain.

ROSE: What, there's a President, not a Prime Minister?

Y/N: Seems so.

LOKI: Or maybe Lucy's just a bit thick.

(Pete and Loki are standing on the staircase.)

PETE: Excuse me! Thank you very much. Thank you if I could just have your attention, please?

MAN: Pete! Go on, Pete!

PETE: Thank you very much!

MAN: It's about time you did some work.

MAN 2: I thought you liked them young.

PETE: Um, I'd just like to say thank you to you all, for coming on this, this very special occasion. My wife's thirty ninth.

MAN: Don't believe that one.

PETE: Trust me on this. And so, without any further ado, here she is, the birthday girl. My lovely wife, Jackie Tyler.

(Jackie makes her entrance in skin tight black to general applause.)

JACKIE: Now, I'm not giving a speech. That's what my parties are famous for. No work, no politics, just a few good mates and plenty of black market whisky. Pardon me, Mister President. So, yeah, get on with it. Enjoy, enjoy.

DOCTOR: You can't stay. Even if there was some way of telling them.

ROSE: Course I can't. I've still got Mum at home. My real mum. I couldn't just leave her, could I. It's just, they've got each other. Mum's got no one.

MADDIE: She's got you. Those two haven't. All these different worlds, not one of them gets it right.

JACKIE: Rose! There's my little girl! Come to mummy, come to mummy!

(Jackie picks up the dog.)

JACKIE: Yes, good girl! Good girl, aren't you?

(The Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N laugh.)

Y/N: Sorry.

[Loading bay]

CYBERMAN: Platoon zero two now boarding. Platoon zero two now boarding.

(Heavy metal boots clump across the tarmac to the waiting lorries.)

CRANE: Stop staring.

DRIVER: What are they, sir?

CRANE: I'm told they're the future. Ain't technology wonderful? Go on, get in the cab. Start her up.

DRIVER: Sir.

(Crane's phone rings.)

LUMIC [OC]: Mister Crane, are we mobile?

CRANE: Just about to hit the road, sir. And yourself?

LUMIC [OC]: I'm arriving, Mister Crane. Prepare the factory. Now, send them forth, old friend. Let the good work begin.

[Base]

(Under a splendid 18th century painted ceiling, Mickey has been stripped and tied to a chair, and is being carefully scanned.)

JAKE: He's clean. No bugs.

RICKY: But this is off the scale. He's flesh and blood. How did that happen?

MOORE: Well, it could be that Cybus Industries have perfected the science of human cloning, or your father had a bike.

RICKY: And your name is Mickey, not Ricky.

MICKEY: Mickey. Dad was Jackson Smith. Used to work at the key cutters in Clifton's Parade. Went to Spain, never came back.

RICKY: But that's my dad. So, we're brothers?

JAKE: Be fair. What else could it be?

RICKY: I don't know. But he doesn't just look like me, he is exactly the same. There's something else going on here, Jake.

MICKEY: So, who are you lot?

RICKY: We? We are the Preachers. As in Gospel Truth. You see? No ear plugs. While the rest of the world downloads from Cybus Industries, we, we have got freedom. You're talking to London's Most Wanted, but target Number One is Lumic, and we are going to bring him down.

MICKEY: From your kitchen?

RICKY: Have you got a problem with that?

MICKEY: No, it's a good kitchen.

MOORE: It's an upload from Gemini.

MICKEY: Who's Gemini?

MOORE: The vans are back. They're moving out of Battersea. Looks like Gemini was right. Lumic's finally making a move.

RICKY: And we are right behind him. Pack up, we're leaving.

(The lorry drives past the base, and the van follows it. Everyone except Mickey checks their weapons, machine guns etc.)

[The Tyler's house]

(The Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N sneak off and finds a working laptop. Rose and Loki watch Jackie laughing with the President. Pete comes up to her.)

PETE: I remember her twenty first. Pint of cider in the George.

LOKI: Sorry. Champagne?

PETE: Oh, might as well. I'm paying for it.

ROSE: It's a big night for you.

PETE: For her. Still, she's happy.

LOKI: She should be. It's a great party.

PETE: Do you think?

ROSE: You can trust me.

PETE: You can trust me on this.

LOKI: That's it, sorry. So, how long have you two been married?

PETE: Twenty years.

ROSE: And no kids, or?

PETE: We kept putting it off. She said she didn't want to spoil her figure.

LOKI: It's not too late. She's only forty.

PETE: Thirty nine.

ROSE: Oh, right. Thirty nine.

PETE: It's still too late. I moved out last month, but we're going to keep it quiet. You know, it's bad for business. Why am I telling you all this? We haven't met before, have we? I don't know, you just seem sort of

LOKI: What?

PETE: I don't know. Just sort of right. Stevie! How's things? How's it going at Torchwood?

[Outside the Tyler's house]

(Ricky and Jake are hiding in the bushes, reporting in on a walkie-talkie.)

RICKY: I don't know what they're doing, but this seems to be the target. Big house, fair bit of money. Now we have got to find a way to get in.

[Van]

MOORE: I've identified the address. It belongs to Peter Tyler, the Vitex millionaire.

MICKEY: Pete Tyler?

MOORE: He's listed as one of Lumic's henchmen. A traitor to the state.

MICKEY: But

[Outside the Tyler's house]

MICKEY [OC] We've got to get in there.

RICKY: Now, shut it, duplicate. That's what I just said.

(A ramp is dropped down from the back of the lorry.)

RICKY: What are they doing?

(Heavy feet march down the ramp and onto the gravel.)

RICKY: What the hell are they?

[Office]

(The Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N have found Lumic's presentation on the laptop.)

LUMIC [OC]: The most precious thing on this Earth is the human brain

[Patio]

(Jackie has gone outside to sit down.)

ROSE: Missis Tyler, is there anything I can get you?

JACKIE: The last twenty years back.

LOKI: I can manage a glass of champagne or a nice cup of tea?

JACKIE: Oh, that'd do me.

(Rose and Loki sit next to Jackie.)

ROSE: My mum loves that. End of a long night she never goes straight to bed, she always stays up just to have that last cup of tea.

JACKIE: Oh, I'm the same.

LOKI: Two sugars.

JACKIE: And me. Pete always says, you know. Ah, never mind him.

ROSE: I was talking to him earlier. He's a nice man. You know, bit of a Jack the Lad, I suppose, even if he has got money, but he's a good bloke. Better than most. He's worth a second chance.

JACKIE: Are you commenting on my marriage?

LOKI: No, I was just

JACKIE: Who the hell do you think you are? You're staff. You're nothing but staff. You're just the serving girl and boy, for God's sake. And you are certainly not getting paid. Don't you dare talk to me.

(Jackie goes back inside. Suddenly, floodlights come on, backlighting rows of marching figures, dainty as elephants.)

[Office]

LUMIC [OC]: This is the ultimate upgrade. Our greatest step into cyberspace.

DOCTOR: Cybers.

[Drawing room]

(The Doctor, Maddie, Y/N, Loki and Rose meet up and go to the window.)

MADDIE: It's happening again.

ROSE: What do you mean?

Y/N: I've seem them before.

LOKI: What are they?

DOCTOR: Cybermen.

(The Cybermen smash through a series of French windows in the other wall. Others march in through the house. The guests are surrounded. The President's telephone rings.)

PRESIDENT: Mister Lumic.

[Control room]

LUMIC: Mister President. I suppose a remark about crashing the party would be appropriate at this point.

[Drawing room]

PRESIDENT: I forbade this.

[Control room]

LUMIC: These are my children, sir. Would you deny my family?

[Drawing room]

ROSE: What are they, robots?

MADDIE: Worse than that.

PRESIDENT: Who were these people?

[Control room]

LUMIC: Doesn't matter.

[Drawing room]

LOKI: They're people?

Y/N: They were, until they had all their humanity taken away. That's a living brain jammed inside a cybernetic body, with a heart of steel. All emotions removed.

ROSE: Why no emotions?

DOCTOR: Because it hurts.

PRESIDENT: I demand to know, Lumic. These people, who were they?

LUMIC [OC]: They were homeless

[Control room]

LUMIC: And wretched and useless

[Drawing room]

LUMIC [OC]: Until I saved them, and elevated them, and gave them life eternal.

[Control room]

LUMIC: And now I leave you in their capable hands. Goodnight, sir.

[Drawing room]

LUMIC [OC]: Goodnight, Mister President.

CYBERMAN: We have been upgraded.

MADDIE: Into what?

CYBERMAN: The next level of mankind. We are Human point two. Every citizen will receive a free upgrade. You will become like us.

PRESIDENT: I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for what's been done to you, but listen to me. This experiment ends tonight.

CYBERMAN: Upgrading is compulsory.

PRESIDENT: And if I refuse?

Y/N: Don't.

PRESIDENT: What if I refuse?

DOCTOR: I'm telling you, don't.

PRESIDENT: What happens if I refuse?

CYBERMAN: Then you are not compatible.

PRESIDENT: What happens then?

CYBERMAN: You will be deleted.

(The Cyberman puts his hand on the President's neck, and electrocutes him. The Doctor grabs Rose, Y/N, Maddie, and Loki and runs away. The guests scream as they get grabbed and killed.)

PETE: Jackie! Jackie! Loki! Loki!

[Outside the Tyler house]

(The Doctor, Maddie, Y/N, Loki and Rose jump through a window.)

MADDIE: There's nothing we can do.

LOKI: My aunt's in there!

Y/N: She is not your aunt or your mother, Rose! Come on!

(A row of Cybermen stop them from running across the lawn. They turn back and run around the side of the house as Pete comes out through the window.)

ROSE: Quick! Quick!

(Pete follows the Doctor, Maddie, Y/N, Loki and Rose. Jackie and Loki run down into the cellar. A Cyberman follows carefully. It's feet are twice as big as the steps.)

DOCTOR: Pete, is there a way out?

PETE: The side gates. Who are you? How do you know so much?

MADDIE: You wouldn't believe it in a million years.

(More Cybermen cut them off. Two armed figures come running across the lawn in front of the floodlights.)

LOKI: Who's that?

RICKY: Get behind me!

(Ricky and Jake open fire on the Cybermen, but the bullets just bounce off. The Cybermen stop.)

ROSE: Oh my God, look at you.

(Rose hugs Ricky.)

LOKI: I thought I'd never see you again!

RICKY: Yeah. No offence, sweetheart, but who the hell are you?

MICKEY: Rose and Loki! That's not me. That's like the other one.

Y/N: Oh, as if things weren't bad enough, there's two Mickey's.

RICKY: It's Ricky.

MICKEY: But there's more of them.

ROSE: We're surrounded.

DOCTOR: Put the guns down. Bullets won't stop them.

(Jake starts shooting. The Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N stop him.)

MADDIE: No! Stop shooting, now. We surrender! Hands up. There's no need to damage us. We're good stock. We volunteer for the upgrade program. Take us to be processed.

CYBERMAN: You are rogue elements.

Y/N: But we surrender.

CYBERMAN: You are incompatible.

DOCTOR: But this is a surrender.

CYBERMAN: You will be deleted.

MADDIE: But we're surrendering! Listen to me, we surrender!

CYBERMAN: You are inferior. Man will be reborn as Cyberman, but you will perish under maximum deletion.

(The Cybermen hold out their deadly arms towards the group.)

CYBERMAN: Delete. Delete. Delete!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.2K 332 35
The Eighth Doctor is summoned back to Gallifrey as tensions between the Time Lords and the Dalek Empire come to a head. What will the Doctor do as th...
3K 266 25
This is a Doctor Who and once upon a time (inspired) fanfiction with 11 and Clara.
1.5K 102 45
The story of the forgotten Doctor...
25.8K 1.1K 29
The TARDIS has always brought The Doctor to where he needed to be. But why does it keep pulling him back into the timeline of a simple girl from Card...