School Reunion

(A man comes down the stairs of Deffry Vale High School and walks to the Headmaster's office. A girl is sitting on a chair nearby.)

FINCH: What do you want?

NINA: The nurse sent me, sir. I was in English and I got a headache.

FINCH: Then don't bother me, go home.

NINA: I can't.

FINCH: Why, is your mother at work?

NINA: I live in Ambrose Hall. The children's home.

FINCH: No parents. No one to miss you. I see why the nurse sent you. You poor child. Poor thin, child. Come inside.

(He opens the door and the girl walks through.)

FINCH: It's nearly time for lunch.

(The door closes behind them. There is a screech and flapping of wings, and a scream.)

[Physics laboratory]

(Up on the first floor, there is a change of class. The teachers enter, wearing a brown suit and white sneakers and a brown dress with white flats and Y/N is wearing the same as her mom.)

DOCTOR: Good morning, class. Are we sitting comfortably?

(The Doctor writes on the board.)

MADDIE: So, physics. Physics, eh? Physics. Physics. Physics! Physics. Physics, physics, physics, physics, physics, physics, physics. I hope one of you is getting all this down. Okay let's see what you know. Two identical strips of nylon are charged with static electricity and hung from a string so they can swing freely. What would happen if they were brought near each other?

(A young boy with spectacles puts his hand up.)

Y/N: Yes, er, what's your name?

MILO: Milo.

DOCTOR: Milo! Off you go.

MILO: They'd repel each other because they have the same charge.

MADDIE: Correctamundo! A word I have never used before and hopefully never will again. Question two. I coil up a thin piece of microwire and place it in a glass of water. Then I turn on the electricity and measure to see if the water's temperature is affected. My question is this. How do I measure the electrical power going into the coil?

(Just one hand goes up. Everyone else looks totally bored.)

Y/N: Someone else. No? Okay, Milo, go for it.

MILO: Measure the current and PDs in an ammeter and a voltmeter.

DOCTOR: Two to Milo. Right then, Milo, tell me this. True or false. The greater the dampening of the system, the quicker it loses energy to its surroundings.

MILO: False.

MADDIE: What is non-coding DNA?

MILO: DNA that doesn't code for a protein.

Y/N: Sixty five thousand nine hundred and eighty three times five?

MILO: Three hundred and twenty nine thousand nine hundred and fifteen.

DOCTOR: How do you travel faster than light?

MILO: By opening a quantum tunnel with an FTL factor of thirty six point seven recurring.

(The Doctor's, Maddie's, and Y/N's jaw drops.)

[Canteen]

(Chips are still on the menu here. A young blonde slops mash into the Doctor's, Maddie's, and Y/N's trays. They walk away with a grin. A little later she goes over to wipe their table.)