Free Me - Dinluke AU

By Akira_Vargas

When Din drops off a bounty for Jabba he finds himself walking home with a peculiar slave. Having no use for... More

The blue-eyed Slave
Freedom and Familiar Faces
Saving the Princess and joining the Rebellion
Royal Award and Fixing Ships
Taking the ship for a Spin and Parting Ways
It's been a while
Rescue
Not disappointed and new Roommates
Living together
Shopping and drunken Bar fights
Don't leave me again, please
Staying together for real
Feelings and Truths

The calm before the Storm

211 11 5
By Akira_Vargas

After getting a new cybernetic hand Luke was getting adjusted to it in the medical wing. Din was planning on how to get his ship back caught up in his thoughts.

"Hey, Din!" Luke went up behind him surprising the other. "Look, it almost looks like my real hand." He showed off his new hand.

"Oh, wow, they really did a good job." Din looked at it but got distracted by the other's bright smile. "You look better."

"I feel better. Though to be honest it might just be the pain medication. Sorry about your ship. But I'm sure we'll get it back!"

"Yeah, maybe we can manage to get your x-wing back too."

"Hopefully. That ship and I have been through a lot together." Luke took the Mandalorian's hand. "You want to walk a bit with me? This station is giant and I feel like finding some nice quiet place to bunker down."

"Sure." Din walked down the hallway with him not minding that he still held onto his hand.

"Oh by the way, do you know where they took Han?"

"Yes, but you're not gonna like it."

"Why?"

"Fett took him to Jabba's Palace. Turns out Solo had some unpaid debt."

Din was right Luke didn't like this, not one bit. He stopped for a second. "Well, this complicates things."

"You don't have to go. Leia seems more than capable of handling rescuing Han. Lando would probably help too."

"It's okay. I'll go with them we just need to adjust the plan." The Jedi shrugged and turned to him smiling. "But let's not worry about this today. You've got to tell me all about what you've been up to for the past years!"

Din was taken aback a bit, surprised but also flustered at how Luke looked at him. "I- uh, there's not really much to tell. Nothing really changed I just took some more jobs over the years."

"Tell me about them." Luke kept walking with him. He smiled to himself listening to the stories. They eventually found a quiet place to sit down.

The Mandalorian had forgotten how nice it felt to just talk to him. He liked him listening so intently and paying attention to him. When he finished Luke laughed at the story and gently nudged him with his elbow and his heart fluttered. Kriff. When did he become so handsome?

The Jedi felt calm sitting next to him and listening to his story. He slightly moved closer their legs touching ever so slightly. "Sounds like you had some interesting jobs."

"Yeah, what about you?"

"Oh, we moved around a lot with the empire on our back and everything. There were a few close calls like on that ice planet we stayed on but overall we managed to stay safe." Luke remembered that one time he nearly froze to death. "I went to train with this old Jedi master. He's a bit strange but a good guy, not much for conversation though. Being alone on that planet with him and R2D2 was boring from time to time but hey now I got a better grasp on his whole force thing."

"That sounds nice. So you're a real Jedi now?"

"Well, Jedi in training more like it." He put up his robotic hand. "I definitely have a lot more to learn." A chuckle escaped his mouth. "Thanks for staying with me and making sure I was okay."

"Don't mention it."

"You are way too humble, Din. I really appreciate all your help. Someday I'm gonna repay you!" Luke leaned against him playfully and just hoped the other didn't mind. "One day I'll save your life, you'll see. I'm gonna make some cool entrance or something. It's all about presentation."

"I'll hold you to that." The Mandalorian joked. "If you don't save my life like a badass with a great entrance I'm going to be disappointed."

"I never disappoint."

"Yeah?" Din teased him.

Luke looked up at him only now noticing how close he was to him. "You doubting me?"

"And if I was?"

"Well, then I'd just have to prove you wrong." He smiled at him moving a bit closer so there was only an inch between his face and Din's helmet.

"Ah, there you are!" Leia came up behind them.

Luke flinched and moved back. "Oh- Hey, is everything alright?"

"Mind if I steal you for a second?"

He went with her a bit annoyed at the disruption. Before moving out of eyesight and earshot of the Mandalorian he gave him an apologetic look and mouthed be right back. "So, what's up?"

"I wanted to check if you were okay. You were supposed to check back at the medical station to get some more medication for the night."

"Wait, it's that late already?"

"Yes, I was worried you might have passed out somewhere or something."

"Sorry, I guess I lost track of time." He scratched the back of his neck feeling guilty that he made her worry.

Leia just smiled and sighed. "Well, you're alright so everything's fine. But I guess time flies with good company, huh?" She teased.

"I don't know what you mean."

"I think it's adorable." She handed him the pills. "I'll let you two catch up some more."

"Thanks." Luke took the painkillers and went back to Din.

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah, Leia just gave me some more pain medication for the night." He sat back down next to him. "Where were we? Oh yeah, me saving you in the future."

Din chuckled and Luke cursed Leia for interrupting them. If the Jedi was honest he had always gravitated towards the Mandalorian. How couldn't he? He was kind and cared for him even if he had a more rough exterior. On top of that, his voice was calming to listen to, like it was his favorite song.

"Guess I got to get myself in a troubling situation then." Din smiled to himself.

"You better." Luke leaned back against him. "I am worried about how this whole rebellion will end."

"It's going to be fine."

"You think so?"

"I know so. Like you said yourself losing is not an option." Din gently put his hand on the other's trying to reassure him.

"You remember that?"

"Yes, and I believe you."

Luke was touched. He felt his heart melt. "Thank you."

"Do you sometimes think about what would have been if you left with me or if I stayed?"

"Yeah, I actually thought about it a lot after you left. But I think it's good that I didn't leave with you. I would have probably been happy, perfectly safe, and still have my right hand." He chuckled and closed his eye. "But I would have never trained or made a bigger difference in this world. I would've been the same defenseless kid I was three years ago." There was a short pause. "I might still fail and struggle but I am happy with the person I managed to become. But I think it's also good that you didn't stay. Don't get me wrong I would have loved for you to stay but it wouldn't have made you happy. You have your own life and I think that's great. I think no one should pressure you to change that. I mean that's what I like about you."

"Yeah?"

"Yes, you have your own morals and code that you stick to. You chose a path but aren't selfish about it. I mean you went out of your way to help me again. It's admirable." Luke nudged him. "I'm glad you're here now, though."

Din just hummed a quiet "Hm" and they just sat there for a while enjoying the calm when the Jedi's medication kicked in and he started to dose off. The Mandalorian didn't quite know what to do looking at the sleeping figure. Should he wake him? Maybe he could just let him sleep a bit longer. He watched his chest slowly rise and drop. The other seemed so calm he didn't want to disturb him even if that meant sitting here the whole night. After a while, the other started to tumble over and afraid he might fall off the bench Din carefully put his arm around him steadying him. Was he allowed to do that? They hadn't spoken in three years so why did this feel so normal?

A while later Luke woke up still drowsy. He looked around unsure where he was when his eyes settled on the Mandalorian. "Din?"

"Oh, you're awake."

"Sorry for falling asleep."

"Don't worry about it. Looks like you needed it."

Luke sat up stretching as a yawn escaped his mouth. "You could've woken me up."

"I know."

"Thanks though for letting me nap a bit." He smiled at him while fixing his hair.

"Maybe you should go to sleep and rest."

"I think you're right. Walk me to my room?"

"Sure." Din walked with him, the ship being oddly quiet and empty at this hour. He felt his hand brush up against the other and it made him want to grab it but he just kept on moving.

When they arrived at the Jedi's room Luke hugged him. "See you tomorrow?"

"Yeah."

"I missed you, Din. Have a good rest of the night."

"You too." The Mandalorian watched him disappear into his room and went to sleep himself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

822 48 13
Y/N is a Togruta. You and Din were best friends at a young age, you dare say siblings even in a sudden turn of events you are told that Din is dead a...
3.1K 95 13
When Luke Skywalker was young he had heard about soulmates and their unbreakable bond. But he was a Jedi now, he would never be able to meet his soul...
4.9K 172 10
"Why shouldn't I stay here?" he keeps telling himself, though he knows the answer. Because of her. She's the reason he doesn't want to go, and she's...
15.2K 620 104
After Obi-Wan's supposed death, Anakin is devastated. He receives a surprise offer which will hopefully allow him to end the Clone Wars and save the...