I do and I do

By Mercy198

A simple orphaned school teacher with a heart of gold meets a strange and helpless woman who has lost all mem... More

Hello there!๐Ÿ‘‹
P A R T 1
1| The first time he saw her
2| Police is your friend
3| They have a situation
4| Okay, he has a friend
5| Let there be no light and there wasn't
6| The school and a wedding card in his hand
7| There's a woman in his house
8| And she blew him away
9| We should take a walk
10| It's not like that. It's like this.
11| We worry on his behalf.
12| Isn't she your bride?
13| She laughed
14| You like her
15| My knight
16| Oh, my church members
17| Our bed
18| Did you say, mar...?
19| It's because of a special emotion
20| It's our little date
P A R T 2
21| Maybe it was never our story
22| Meet the Michaels
23| Are we enough?
24| The new twist in our story
25| Her husband
26| One tear at a time
28| I miss him\her
Bonus chapter 1
Bonus 2

27| Home is not my home

1.4K 244 35
By Mercy198

While his heart pounded loud enough that he felt he could hear it, Adedayo chose to knock instead of unlocking the door himself. Joy opened it. For a minute, they stared at each other and it was like they telepathically shared their emotions. She came closer and gave him a hug.

Kenny and her mother saw their state. Uncomfortably, Kenny was first to look away before his mother-in-law did the same. He was trying his best to remain calm and understanding. Yet, it wasn't easy for him to feel nothing especially when the woman whom he loves and married, keeps clinging on to another man. They had been invited in by Joy to avoid outside prying eyes.

"Good evening, ma." Adedayo greeted Mrs. Irabor respectfully after he walked in with Joy by his side. He could guess she was the mother Kenny had mentioned before.

"Good evening." She accepted his greeting and smiled as well. "How are you?"

He tried his best to smile. "I'm fine, thank you." Next, he exchanged glances with Kenny.

An awkward silence lasted in their midst before Mrs. Irabor broke it. "Thank you for taking care of my daughter during her hard times."

Thank you? Adedayo understood she was being appreciative but whenever he was thanked for caring for Joy, it felt like his love for her was being disregarded.

"You're welcome, ma." He replied, regardless of his thoughts.

She looked up at him. All this while, she hadn't done that. He could understand why she might not want to look at his face. Maybe because of his marriage to her daughter or because whether any of them liked it or not, they were at this uncomfortable point in their lives.

"The two of you should sit down. Let's address the elephant in the room."

Kenny and Mrs. Irabor sat on the double seater couch so Adedayo and Joy were forced to sit on the single ones across from each other. Again, silence existed in their midst and even if all had something to say, none said anything first.

"Adesuwa," Mrs. Irabor started then looked at her daughter. "I understand you don't remember the memories Kenny and I are a part of. But the truth still stands... Kennedy has been your boyfriend since your university days. Four months ago, you said yes to him and he paid your bride price. Had it not been for the sudden accident, by this time, you would have both legally tied the knot."

Joy looked from her mother to Adedayo who had lowered his eyes from them. She watched how he rubbed his hands together. She could tell he was troubled. Joy wasn't sure the right words to use. She wondered if there was a way for her to explain to them that it was all in the past. This... her life with Dayo was her present.

"Adedayo." Mrs. Irabor called and he raised his head but was unable to meet any of their eyes. "We are very grateful for all you've done. But you need to understand... Adesuwa is not your wife. While with you, she lived under a fake name and married you with it. It's not real."

Adedayo uncomfortably shifted in his seat.

"Please don't say that." Joy spoke up and her mother's eyes were back on her. "What Dayo and I have is real... I love him."

Her mother's sigh was loud.

"Adesuwa." Kenny called. All this while, he had held back on forcing anything on her. He needed her to understand it was safe to be around him. He wanted her to understand everything on her own. But what he was unable to ignore was her professing her love for another. "You say that because you can't remember the times we've shared together and how much we love each other."

This time, Joy felt uncomfortable.

"Come home with us. We'll show you more and help you try to remember. After you do, if you still choose this life for yourself then... I'll accept it." He added and although he mentioned that, he was sure their love stood stronger than what she shared with Dayo. The only thing standing in their way were her missing memories.

"I can't..."

"Go home." Adedayo finally spoke up, his eyes now lifted to them. Their gaze shifted to him. But the difference in his behaviour was obvious. Dayo's smile was shaky. "He's right. The only way you can know for sure is after you remember it all."

"Dayo." Joy called, hoping he would quit what should be a joke.

"Go home." He repeated and yes, maybe Dayo didn't know what he was doing. Maybe he'd lost his mind at some point. But all he wanted was to make it all stop. The longer they sat there and pretended like he didn't exist and tried to explain the fact that the universe manipulated his meeting with Joy, the crazier he felt. After he ran away from the abusive place he'd called home and made it by himself to the city, Adedayo had been careful not to hurt himself. He could get any physical injury whatsoever but not the emotional kind. Yet, after he met Joy, he decided to forget his promise to himself and gave love a chance. Now, it was clear he'd been deceiving himself. All wrongs were right again. Joy's family found her and it was time for her to return to her world which he didn't belong in.

Joy stood up from her seat and dragged Adedayo with her into the bedroom. She closed the door and stood in front of him. She looked him in the eyes, hers lurking from one of his to the other.

"I know what this is. This is you being you. I understand. I do but... be careful what you say. If it was meant to be a joke, it wasn't funny."

Adedayo ran his hand over his face. Joy's eyes begged for him not to do the opposite of anything she wouldn't want to hear or see. He lowered his eyes, unable to steady them with hers anymore. His thoughts were in disarray.

She held his face in her hands so his eyes were back on her. "Dayo, we're going to be fine. Okay?"

Slowly, he took in a deep breath and released it at once. For a while, they stared into each other's eyes. His were detailed with fear, doubts and the one thing Joy didn't want to see... surrender. Her hands fell from his face. "Are you... are you giving up on us?" Again, she searched for any sign, any expression from him that told her otherwise. By this time, Joy's heart had begun racing.

Adedayo held her face in his hands as he took a step closer. "I'm not... we need to be realistic..." He paused. "How do you know your feelings for me will be the same even after your memories return? You don't know that... You married Kennedy. It means... you love him and if it wasn't for the slight stir in your love story, we wouldn't be standing here."

"Dayo." The tears that welled up in her eyes, rolled down her cheeks and she wished he would stop. The truth was bitter and Joy didn't think she was ready for it. She'd always known this day was going to come.

Adedayo leaned forward and shared a soft kiss with her. It was one of the best they'd shared. "This is not goodbye. This is... This is you going out to find yourself and if... if after that and you still want me in your life... come back to me."

Joy busted out into tears before she wrapped her arms around his neck and held him in a tight hug. She didn't want to leave. She didn't want to let go of the happiness she felt whenever she was with him. But above all, she knew he was right. Even if they do succeed in convincing her mother and Kenny to let them be, there would always be this hovering thought of possibilities. He would wonder if she truly would choose him again if things were different and for her, it would be difficult to live in two worlds. Hers and his. Especially without her old memories, it would all seem new and enticing. Eventually, it would cause conflict between them. To avoid that, it was important for them to take this step.

They let go of the hug. Neither of them was able to look at the other one last time. Joy turned away, wiped her cheeks of tear stains, took in a deep breath and opened the door. She closed the door behind her.

Adedayo sat on the bed. His chest went up and down nonstop. He was yet to shed a tear. It only dawned on him that she was gone when he heard the sound of the front door. For what seemed like forever, Dayo sat in silence. Once upon a time, he lived alone. Adedayo was sure he could do it again. He was sure he could move on.

Kenny opened the door to her room. He walked in before Joy followed. Her gaze only wandered from the bed to the dressing table lined with several cosmetic products. She couldn't be bothered with the rest. Even here, nothing was familiar to her.

"Does this room jog your memories?" Mrs. Irabor asked, her eyes full of hope. Joy who had no joy whatsoever entailed in her expression, shook her head without meeting her mother's eyes. The hope in the older woman's eyes faded away.

Mrs. Irabor came closer and held her daughter in a warm hug. "I'm so glad you're home, my sweet daughter." She released her from the hug. "I'm going to tell Mary right away to make your favourite dish, coconut rice with lots of dry fish." Her smile was wide as she stared at her daughter's face once more. Joy managed to nod her head and the older woman walked away. On her way, she flashed Kenny a warm smile and closed the door after herself.

Joy folded her arms below her chest and lowered her eyes. Her last memory with Adedayo was still fresh in her mind and whenever replayed, it brought tears to her eyes. Kennedy silently watched her from behind. He would've loved to hug, kiss and hold her in his arms the way he usually did but he understood this was a different time. Right now, she feels differently. Now she was home, he was going to have his chance to reconnect with her.

"Rest and maybe, we can talk when you feel better." He told her. She said nothing and spared him no look either. He stared at her a little longer before leaving the room.

Joy sat on the bed, rested her elbows on her knees and buried her face into her palms where she cried even more than during her last hug with Dayo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.3K 2.3K 53
ส™แดแดแด‹ แดษดแด‡ แดา“ แด›สœแด‡ sแด‡แด‡ แด›สœส€แดแดœษขสœ sแด‡ส€ษชแด‡s(sแด›s) "๐‘ˆ๐‘›๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘™ ๐‘ค๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘’๐‘๐‘œ๐‘š๐‘’ ๐‘“๐‘ข๐‘™๐‘™๐‘ฆ ๐‘“๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘’, ๐‘ค๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘ข๐‘ก ๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘Ž ๐‘“๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘ ๐‘’ ๐‘“๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘›๐‘ก, ๐‘Ž ๐‘“๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘‘๐‘’...
6.4K 501 28
Him: I've become crazy in your love. She: I never asked you to love me. (She says with an emotionless face) Him: (Seeing her reaction, his heart ache...
157K 14.9K 59
A NIGERIAN THEMED NOVEL. *COMPLETED* Highest ranking. #1 out of 369 lagos #2/22/20 #1 out of 28 lekki #3/11/20 #9 out of 1.52k besti...
65.6K 4.7K 24
Copyrightยฉ 2023. All rights reserved. Madina, the skillful pilot got hired to work for the most notorious former street-fighter who has managed to wo...