Better as Bones

By dudeijustwannasleep

Borne with their new ability, Star Bastet Mesbah must come to terms with their mistake: the murder of the Que... More

lifeblood - I
murderer - II
guts in my body - III
its not okay - IV
like this - V
doesn't exist - VI
dusty sapphire - VII
Idyll - VIII
care - IX
purple light - X
charred flesh - XI
doe - XII
last time - XIII
just die - XIV
weight of sins - XV
moon - XVI
worst living creatures - XVII
kind - XVIII
waves - XIX
bud and bloom - XX
mother - XXI
it's gross - XXII
a god - XXIII
a place to sleep - XXIV
even - XXV
comfort - XXVI
night air - XXVII
supposed to be feeling - XXVIII
ceiling of stone - XXIX
golden hinges - XXX
ribcage - XXXI
pelt - XXXII
sick - XXXIII
swarmed - XXXIV
Ender City - XXXV
blue - XXXVI
undergrowth - XXXVII
cruel - XXXVIII
mouse - XL
burn into my flesh - XLI
poppies and lavender - XLII
authors note

ports - XXXIX

2 0 0
By dudeijustwannasleep

Bastet

I wave my hand, my fingertips brushing my cheek. Milo and Avery follow me through the grasses. Milo shakes his wings flat, pressing them as close to his body as possible.

We discussed what the plan was. Head to the building I saw Quarry be taken to along the park as much as we can. Then we attempt to sneak in. But then again, there's cameras and the sun will be rising in an hour or so.

Milo said he'll try to keep his wings flush to his back. But his wings are big and definitely not something Kysonians are used to seeing.

I sniff as I peer above the grasses. Milo and Avery stop close to my heels.

I'm not sure if Avery has considered a reality where we could be friends again, or even think about being friends. But my chest feels looser and I can breathe easier now knowing Roux's death was complications and not caused by my desire for it.

I said I didn't kill Roux. I hate it but I did. Complications by my hands ever still.

The cut of the grasses to Kyson's cityscape is sudden atop the hill. My eyes rake the buildings, searching for one that seems familiar. All I remember is the fire-sun and lampposts. The trees were near. I turn around. Crouching back down to face Milo and Avery.

"We're going to have to go in. I can't see landmarks from here." Avery squints at me. "Just have your sword handy."

"You do not have to tell me twice," Avery grumbles, standing up. Her sword glistens in the fading moonlight. I nod, rising to my own feet. I lead us on the hill, pushing away grass as we near the city.

Milo shakes his wings as the last blade of grass falls from my grasp.

'I'm flying above to scout,' He says, shaking his wings wide. 'Avery raise your sword when I am to come down. I'll send wind if people are near.'

"Okay," Avery says, swinging her sword to rest on her shoulders. "See you in a minute." Milo nods, bending his knees before jumping. I block my face from the gusts of wind as he rises into the sky. He nods before he flies ahead. I swallow.

"Let's go," Avery mutters, her fingers spread wide. I led her through the Kysonian streets. The neon signs are alight with green and purple. Advertisements pass my eyes as my feet move across the sidewalks.

No one is out this early in this part of town. We're closer to the military portion than the civilian sector. Avery sticks close to my side. Her eyes are wide but eyebrows firm. Her lips keep quivering.

A gust of wind blows my hair to the side. Avery snaps her attention upward. Milo circles above us, his face serious.

Avery pushes me behind her, backing us up into an alleyway. I push her shoulder down as voices near. I keep my eyes wide as the voices grow louder. Three people pass by on the other side of the street. They are dressed in civilian clothing. They move without leaving their conversation. Avery steps aside to let me through.

The sun is starting to rise. The milky blue of the morning sky creases the darkness. Avery hums before she continues walking. I search.

Up ahead is the same lamppost as the one I took refuge behind. The square frame and base. I wave my hand. Avery stops, her eyes turning from me to the lamppost.

"Is that it?" She asks, voice low. I shake my head.

"We're close though, those square lampposts are only in this part of Kyson. Everywhere else has rounded." Avery furrows her eyebrows, her lips pursed as she studies the lamppost.

"Why did they change it?" She wonders aloud. I frown.

"Kysonian military district. This must be an outskirt part or maybe another sector," I respond, my hand resting on the edge of the base. "They change depending on the civil or military sectors. Mom said it was the same in the Della ports." Avery hums, continuing forward.

We round a corner. I shoot my arm out, catching Avery's sleeve. She stumbles back, her eyes doused in fury. I focus a glare at her. She stops.

Avery raises her sword. It comes to a rest alongside her leg as Milo steps down from the sky. He shakes out his wings.

'It's the next building over,' I say. Milo nods. 'Go in through the lower door.'

'Are there guards?' Avery asks. Milo peers around the corner. He raises two fingers. Avery grimaces but nods. 'I got the guards. Bastet, help me with your stars. Milo go in and take down anyone who gets in your way.'

'You say that like I'm not already planning on it.' Milo cracks his fingers, his wings flat to his back. I swallow, my lips pressed hard. I have to get my heart under control. How can I tell Avery I don't have my stars? I can't help. I don't have anything to help with.

Avery and Milo exchange a nod. Milo swoops around the corner, drawing his wings back. He sweeps them forward in a snap. His wings wrap around his face and body. Groans sound from the thudding of bodies against stone. Milo pants, determination seared onto his face.

"Come on!" Avery hisses, dragging me by my wrist. She holds her sword ready as we round the corner.

The sun blazes over the building as Avery launches herself at a guard. Milo runs towards the stairs down to the metal door I saw Quarry get dragged to. He starts to yank at the handle, his hands fumbling over the lock.

I stand, my heart in my throat, Milo winces as he plucks a feather off his wings. He shoves the tip into the lock, jamming it until it clicks. Avery growls from the wall, her sword's edge angles at a guard's throat.

"BASTET!" She hisses. I stumble as I run up to the other guard. I grit my teeth as I sweep underneath the guard's legs. They fall back, their head hitting the ground with a thump.

"Sorry," I mumble as I take my hands in a fist and smash the guard's nose. They wail, hands flying outward to grab onto me. I throw myself aside, shaking my fists. Avery yells again. I run up to her, my hand meeting her guard's throat. They choke, hands flying to their neck as Avery knocks them down with the pommel of her sword.

Avery huffs, sheathing her sword on her back. She leans heavy on a leg as she turns to me. Her eyebrows are furrowed.

"Where are your stars?" She asks, waving a hand. Sweat drips into her eye. I chuckle, my face obviously betraying me. God I wish I was better at hiding whatever I am feeling.

"Forgot to use them," I lie. Avery scoffs, rolling her eyes as she shakes out her arms.

"Come on, let's go," She sighs, grabbing my arm. She drags me down the stairs. The door swung open, Milo long gone. Avery presses her lips together as she hums. "Let's hope he found Quarry." I nod.

We step into the building. A long, starch-white hall stretches in front of us. Gleaming tiles are perfectly clean as we start to walk. Every few paces is a door, locked and bolted.

Avery snaps her head up as voices yell from down the hall. We exchange a look before we both take off, our feet pounding. My feet skid to a stop as we pass a wide open door.

"QUARRY!" Avery gasps. She pushes me aside, rushing in through the door. I fall inside. The room is large, a panel of buttons and skewed papers littered across a table. Opposite of the table is a glass cell. There's no windows in the room. Only a bed, toilet and discarded tray of food sit in the cell. Quarry presses against the glass, Milo across from him.

Harsh white light gleams against the glass.

"BREAK IT!" Avery yells, throwing herself against the glass. Milo shakes his head. Tears stain his cheeks, her mouth quivering as he presses his hand against the glass. Quarry kneels on the other side, his hand against Milo's.

His eyes are dull, deep violet circles hollowing his sockets. His skin is clammy, his hands shaking. His hair is knotted, and clothes darkened from weeks of wear. He presses his forehead against the glass, tears streaming down his face. His body looks frail.

I step closer, my own hand pressed flush against the glass. Quarry has a half-healed gash on his arm, and bruises littering his limbs. He opens his eyes, the brown meeting my gold.

"BASTET!" He sobs, his hands clutching his arms. "GET ME OUT OF HERE!" Quarry turns back to Milo, his eyes wide and pleading. Milo nods, turning around to the room.

I squint against the glare of the harsh light against the bone-hue tile and walls.

"Quarry, where are the guards?" Avery asks. All I hear is a sob. Milo grabs a metal stool underneath the table. He heaves it up, throwing it at the glass. Avery yells, scrambling back as the stool clatters to the ground. "WHAT?"

"The lock," Quarry rasps. He points to a thin square of steel on the wall next to the cell. Milo goes up to it, hesitating as he presses the lockscreen. My hands fly up to my ears as an alarm blares.

"SHIT," Avery hisses, jumping to her feet. She unsheathes her sword and faces the door. Milo frantically taps the lockscreen. It doesn't respond.

"What?" I spin around. Four men in dark pants and light shirts stand in the door. They wear white coats. They remind me of Hadron.

"AGH!" Avery screams, throwing herself at the people. They jump out of the way as she swings her sword. One screams, agony drenching his voice. Avery swipes her sword along his thigh. She takes a step back, eyes daggers as she glares at the rest of the men.

Quarry presses his hand against the glass. I turn to look at him. His watery eyes meet mine. He hitches on a sob.

"MILO!" Avery yells, backing up as more voices echo down the hall. Milo glances from the lock to Avery. He pushes off his feet, eyes on Quarry as he launches himself into battle with Avery to his back.

"I got it," I tell Quarry, running up to the lock. He follows me in the cell, never leaving his knees. The lock's screen glints in the light. I clamp my shaky hands as my eyes rake over the screen. A million tiny boxes and words illuminate to my touch, each time changing when my fingers press against the glass.

Yelling drowns my thoughts. I scrunch up my face. If I had my stars I could be of better use. I could get this open. But I don't have my stars...what am I going to do? What am I going to do?

"AH FUCK IT," I yell, lashing my arm out. "AVERY KNIFE!" Avery laughs as she ducks underneath a charging guard. People lay wounded around her and Milo. She reveals a dagger from her boot. I catch it at the grip.

I smash the flat into the screen. I growl as it comes back, not a scratch. Quarry sobs, his breath becoming more hurried. Avery yells from behind me.

"Bastet please," He begs, fingers clawing at the glass. "Bastet please I can't be here, please." I growl, smashing the flat against the screen again. And again. And again.

My breath is hot and heavy as I clutch the wall. My head swims with cries of pain. My eyes glaze over. Fuck it.

The blade shatters the screen with one thrust. Quarry yelps, his hands coming to his face as he heaves again. Tears stain his face as he waits.

"Bastet?" He whimpers, eyes wide as he looks at me. I stammer. My body turns around, hands heaving the metal square. I huff, pushing my body off the wall with my leg.

A pair of hands help. Avery heaves too. She grits her teeth as she and I rip the square off the wall. Quarry rises to his feet, his entire body shaking.

"No promises I'm not going to die," I say, eyes glued to the jungle of wires behind the square. I plunge my hands in. I grit my teeth as my body jumps. Electricity zaps my brain as I yank at the wires, pulling them out of the wall.

The lights flicker. The glass shoots upward. Quarry exclaims through a sob, pushing himself out of the cell.

"QUARRY!" Milo yells, voice thick. His eyes glued to Quarry, he bats his wings, wind throwing everyone against the wall. Milo pushes himself over, his wings gliding as he throws himself against Quarry. Quarry collapses, wrapping his arms around Milo. Milo sobs along with Quarry, their faces pressed close.

Quarry laughs desperately. His hands shake as he cups Milo, pressing his lips against his. Milo pulls away, wiping his mouth from tears before kissing Quarry again.

Avery clasps my shoulder. I look up at her. Her eyes unfocus as her hand slides from my shoulder to her leg. Avery's hand comes away red.

"SHIT!" I hiss, dropping to my knees. Avery's wound spans from her hip to her knee, a long ragged stab wound. Blood stains her pants dark, her body shaking. "How'd you get stabbed again?"

Milo stands, swooping up Quarry in his arms. Quarry leans forward, touching Avery's face swiftly.

"Please stop getting stabbed," He says. Avery scoffs, swaying on her feet. I inhale, swooping down, hitching my arms on her unwounded knee and back. Avery yelps, pushing her palms into my face.

"No stop, I can walk," She rasps, pushing me away. I scramble to keep myself upright. I shake Avery. She stops struggling.

"Let's just get out of here before more people come," I mutter, already heading to the door. Avery grumbles. I clasp the knife she threw to me in my palm as Milo and I run as fast as we can to the exit.

Two people stand guard at the door. Milo growls, raises his wings. I throw the knife. Squelching of a new wound fills my ears as the knife meets somebody. I don't look where, I just keep running.

You know, I don't think I like danger anymore. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 114 6
(Y/n) wasn't sure what to make of her situation. She was simply enjoying her mini movie night after getting stood up for a hangout with her friend...
16.4K 1K 39
Livia is a special human. She can see things that aren't supposed to be seen with the naked eye. A long time ago, she saved a young fae who disguis...
146 4 20
Being confined to the borders of the not so interesting village of Chronest, Olivia Denter tries to make the best of life by helping the villagers as...
54.3K 861 15
Once they were childhood friends, but then he changes..... He starts hurried others who get near him.... Shu and Valt were childhood friends and no...