Against Reason

By ashtraykale

Daphne Collins, a 21-year-old aspiring artist who is attempting to make her way in the world of the bustling... More

Playlist & Aesthetics
Chapter One - A Window of Possibility
Chapter Two - Pasta Nights
Chapter Three - Parks & Pangs
Chapter Four - Bad Dreams
Chapter Five - Under the Weather
Chapter Six - Puppy Love
Chapter Seven - Birthday Chaos
Chapter Eight - Family Film Nights
Chapter Nine - Reminiscence
Chapter Ten - Opportunities
Chapter Twelve - First Days Suck
Chapter Thirteen - High Impacts
Chapter Fourteen - Past Pains
Chapter Fifteen - Afterlife
Chapter Sixteen - Little Ballerina
Chapter Seventeen - Late Night Talking
Chapter Eighteen - Ground Coffee Beans
Chapter Nineteen - Glitch in the Plumbing
Chapter Twenty - Arts 'n' Crafts
Chapter Twenty One - Heartache Calls
Chapter Twenty Two - Night Walks in New York
Chapter Twenty Three - Fervent Touches
Chapter Twenty Four - Torment
Chapter Twenty Five - I Can't See You, So You Can't See Me
Chapter Twenty Six - Intercourse
Chapter Twenty Seven - Discourteous
Chapter Twenty Eight - Do We Still Have Apples?
Chapter Twenty Nine - My Tears Ricochet
Chapter Thirty - Oh, How You Love Me So
Chapter Thirty One - Hospital Scares
Chapter Thirty Two - Knight in Shining Armour
Chapter Thirty Three - Nervous Salads
Chapter Thirty Four - Soul Sisters
Chapter Thirty Five - War of Words
Chapter Thirty Six - Dire Straits
Chapter Thirty Seven - Regret
Chapter Thirty Eight - Bun In The Oven
Chapter Thirty Nine - Endeavour for Forgiveness
Chapter Forty - Tis' the Damn Season
Chapter Forty One - What's a Capricorn?
Chapter Forty Two - A Little Snippet of Love
Chapter Forty Three - Shopping for Two
Chapter Forty Four - When Two Became Three
Chapter Forty Five - In a Decade or So...
Epilogue - Two Promises, One Soul
Bonus Chapter - With All My Heart
Bonus Chapter - Home Run
Bonus Chapter - Our Last Slice of Pie

Chapter Eleven - Out of Comfort

2.5K 73 17
By ashtraykale

Chapter Song - Come Together by The Beatles

"I don't want summer to end," Hallie whines as I brush her hair, a small pout formed on her lips as I do her hair in a cute up do. 

"I know, neither do I," I empathise with her. "But do you know what that means?" I lean down, whispering in her ear.

She frowns. "No?"

"It means Halloween is closer," I say and she gasps.

"You're right, Lolli! Now I have to think about what to dress up as!" she exclaims and I laugh lightly, placing a ribbon in her half up half down hair do. 

"You have a little while to think, so don't worry, babe," I smile and send her back to her room to get dressed. 

Bridie walks in, her simple pony tail now a frizz from the slick neat pony tail it was this morning. I honestly have no idea how she does so much in her day to get her to this frizzy state. It honestly astounds me.

"Okay, what do want? Up or down?" I ask her, taking her high pony out and beginning to brush through the frizz. 

"Mm," she taps her chin in thought. "Piggy tails!" she exclaims and I nod sharply.

Brushing through her hair, I part it down the middle and scoop up one side into a high pig tail, then doing the same to the other side. Grabbing two green ribbons I place one in each pigtail and then use a little gel to slick her hair back. Hopefully to conceal her wild frizz, which isn't natural, it just appears from her constant running around. 

"You're done," I tap her shoulders, and she thanks me before running back into her room.

Walking back to my room, I finish lightly curling my hair, letting them set before I brush them out. While letting them set I begin my make up, which is simple and consists of a little concealer, highlighter, mascara and lipstick with a little lipgloss on top. 

Tonight Danny, the girls and I are going out to dinner somewhere. I'm not sure where but Danny said it was somewhere a little fancy. Which I'm a little nervous about because I'm not sure how to dress for a 'fancy' restaurant, simply because i've never been to one.

But, we're celebrating the end of summer break, since Hallie goes back to school in the next few days - which she is not at all happy about, but who would be? 

Finishing up my makeup, I put on a simple slightly fancy black dress, decorated with small roses on it. It's got a spaghetti strap sleeve and is quite flowy, reaching down to my mid thigh, great because its quite humid tonight. 

I put on some simple black flats, check my make up and hair in the mirror, grab my phone and bag, before going downstairs. 

"Hey, girls ready yet?" I ask, walking into the kitchen as I rummage through my bag trying to find my lip gloss. I look up when Danny doesn't answer, his eyes are raking up and down my attire and under his menacing gaze my body flushes. 

"Danny?" I choke out, my neck heating up as goosebumps prickle my skin as his eyes keep gazing at my thighs.

He snaps up to me. "Yeah?" he says. I hide a smug smile, finding it equally funny with how obvious he was checking me out. He's not even hiding it anymore and I...I don't know how to feel. 

A part of me is screaming on the inside that he finds me attractive, that he stares at me like that. But the other part knows we can't be together. We're from two different places, two different social classes, even if we don't care, others around him will and I'm not sure if I could handle that. 

"Are the girls ready?" I ask, his eyes boring into my lips and a menacing idea pops into my mind. 

Looking back down to my bag, I finally find my lips gloss - I seriously need to clean out my bag, but nannying two girls doesn't give me that free time. Pulling it out I twist it open and swipe the clear shiny lip gloss over my lips, pretending to pay no attention to how Danny's gaze darkens and fixates on my action. 

"Danny?" I innocently ask, concealing a giggle. Messing with him is fun, especially since the glass of water in his hand may shatter in the white knuckle grip he has on the poor glass. 

"Mm?" He hums, looking back at me.

I smirk. "Are the girls ready?" I ask slightly slower, trying to get my question across.

He clicks his tongue, realising what I had just done and I cheer inwardly at the grip I had over him. "Yeah," he says, putting his glass in the sink as he stalks towards me. 

I pretend to be putting my lip gloss away, trying to push down the fire in my belly as each strong step he takes toward me, makes my heart stop. His thick pine and musk scent engulf me completely as he reaches his destination: right in front of me. 

"Daphne," his voice is gruff. 

I keep my gaze on my purse, because I'm totally looking for the random Walmart receipt that I threw out yesterday. Yep, definitely not a little nervous and completely terrified to look up. 

"Yes?" I ask, inhaling a breath of courage as I peer up at him. His piercing green eyes are flooded with lust and lit with pure wildfire. 

I gulp. Visibly, and the small smirk that twitches at his lips tells me he saw. 

He leans in. Prickly stubble against my cheek. Hot minty breath tickling my neck. "Do something like that again.." he speaks lowly. "You might not like the-"

"The what?" I taunt.

He only eyes me with a personification of sin, a simple lying smirk sinking into my skin as he brushes past me. 

I let out a breath and place my hand on my chest, my heart pumping out of my chest. Thump, thump, thump, my heart beats. Fast and erratic, sending sparks through my veins and down my spine shooting straight to the pooling heat in my lower belly, as it aches with need

Fucking hell. 

I huff, close my bag and make my way down the hall to the entrance, where the girls are gazing at their pretty 'going out' dresses in the floor length gold gilded framed mirror. 

"Ready?" I ask the girls, completely ignoring Danny because if I look at him or simply glance at him, I'll completely turn into a pool of jelly. 

"Yes!" The girls squeal and I smile. 

We all make our way to the garage, Danny and I buckling the girls into their carseats and I take a seat in the passenger seat, my dress riding up a little as I sit down. I try to pull it down, to hide the revealed skin, thats lined with heat and goosebumps, wanting the hand on the gear a few centimetres away from me to grip my thigh. 

I want his calloused rough hand on my soft skin, as it slowly drifts higher and higher up to my aching core begging for his touch that I haven't even gotten a taste of, but am yet craving.

Musk and pine scent, minty breath, stubble grazing my arm- Wait. Huh?

"Buckle up, Daph," Danny tells me, as he draws the seatbelt along my torso and clicks it into place, his torso crossing my body. 

My breath gets sucked out of my lungs as he takes a few seconds longer than usual to click the seatbelt in, and I almost get lost in a daze from his strong demeanour, until he pulls away. 

A knowing smug smirk infiltrated on his lips and directed my way. Payback. 

I shake my head at the teasing and I lean back into the cushioned white leather seat. The car constantly has a 'new car' smell and looks completely brand new. Even as the 'family' car, theirs no visible crumbs, marking from the girls or any signs kids have even come in a two metre perimeter of this vehicle.

Rich people things I guess. 

"What restaurant are we going to?" I ask Danny a few minutes into the drive.

"It's called Serendipity, it's more of a family restaurant, but high end," he says and I nod. A new flutter of nerves erupting in my stomach. 

There's no reason to be nervous Daphne, people don't know you, you're dressed nicely. There's no reason for people to judge you and it'll be a nice fun dinner for the girls. 

You'll be fine. Plus, you'll finally get to experience what a high end restaurant is like. Or a decent restaurant for that matter. 

"Yay! We're here!" Bridie cheers as Danny stops at the front of the restaurant, valet ready to take his car. Geez, I thought valet was just in the movies. 

Going to open my door, I'm beat as a random guy dressed in black dress pants, a white button up and a black vest opens the door for me.

"Thank you," I smile and he nods his head, a polite smile on his face. 

Danny comes around as I finish unbuckling Bridie from her carseat. He places the car keys in one of the guys hand and he nods, getting into the drivers seat. He's just trusting him with his car? What the fuck?

"He'd be in deep shit if he thought of doing anything other than parking it in the car park," Danny whispers, reacting to my agape jaw. 

"Oh," I say, and he smiles, placing his elbow out. 

I frown looking at his outstretched bent arm in confusion. Does he want me to see if he has a stain on his black button down? Which for one clings to his strong torso in a sinful way, that its hard for me not to stare.

"Hook your arm around my elbow," He says. 

I nod, quickly doing what he says and he pulls me a little closer to his side, his body heat warm and comforting as I place my hand on his forearm. Doesn't this seem a little 'couple'? 

"It's called being a gentleman Daph, it would be rude if I let you walk in alone," he whispers.

"Oh, I've never known that," I say, and he frowns.

"What?" he chuckles in confusion.

I shrug, "I thought it was only what couples do," I say, gazing at the oak panelled french doors, which two servers open as we approach, with girls walking excitedly in front of us. 

"It can be," he tilts his head. "But mainly it's an act of respect and part of being a proper gentleman," he explains. 

Walking further into the restaurant, the thick smell of different foods fused together make my stomach rumble - not out loud, thank goodness, that would be humiliating. 

The restaurant is flooded with warm mood lighting, making the oak panelled walls decorated with pictures and paintings, cosier. 

"Good evening," A young waiter approaches us, dressed in black pants, a white button down and a small black bowtie. A white napkin hangs over his forearm, while a black note pad and pen hangs out of his plain black waist apron. 

I hated working in these types of restaurants. Yes, I was a waitress, and it was a mediocre experience and one I would not want to delve back into. 

Honestly, retail or working with customers in general just sucks. I mean most customers are fine, pretty chill and relaxed, but my goodness you get some that make your blood boil. Some literally made my head spin and steam burst out of my ears like a cartoon character. 

"Booking for Thompson," Danny tells the waiter. He nods, glancing down at the computer set up he stands in front of. 

He looks back up. "Right this way," he smiles, and us four follow him through the white clothed tables full of well dressed people, that scream wealthy. 

We all sit down at a four person white clothed table, the girls in front of us and Danny next to me. "Can I start you off with anything? Drinks? Appetisers?" He asks.

"Just water for now," Danny tells the waiter, not sparing him a glance and gazing at the broad menu. Okay, a little rude. He didn't even say please or look at him when asking. 

It's nothing Daph, I'm sure he just didn't realise. 

"Okay," the waiter nods, and walks off. 

I grab the menu in front of me and begin scanning he menu items. Some I recognise, some are either in french or italian and make my eyes widen, especially at the price. Geez $67 bucks for pasta?! That was like a whole weeks worth of groceries when I was younger. 

"Here's your water," he smiles politely. "Any appetisers or drinks I can get for you?" The waiter places a glass jug of water down and some small cups. 

"We're still looking, come back in a few minutes," Danny says, not gazing him one look and I almost choke on my saliva. Why is he being so impolite? 

He was all about being a gentleman back there with handing me his elbow, but can't say please or thank you to the waiter? 

"Thank you," I smile at the waiter, saying slightly loud for the other three to hear and the waiter sends me a grateful look. 

I look back down at the expensive menu, thankful Danny is paying, but also sad because on the other side of town families that were like me are struggling just to pay for the water bill or to even get a meal. 

I feel almost..guilty?

And now Danny being impolite to the waiter re-ignites the anger I felt when I was a waitress, and people of his wealth wouldn't spare me a glance or ask with a 'thank you' or 'please', not even a fucking smile.

Like, is it that hard to be kind?

"What are you thinking?" Danny glances over at me.

"Don't know," I clip, not sparring him a glance. I see him frown out of the corner of my eye, probably confused as to why my mood is a little sour

I could be overreacting. But am I, i'm really not - not that I'd care. Is it truly that hard to treat waiters, servers and people who work in customer service with respect and kindness? 

No, it's not. It's real simple actually. 

"Are you alright?" Danny asks, lowering his voice slightly.

I face him, my face hardened into a stern expression, which makes his furrowed eyebrows slant outwards. "You could be a little nicer to the waiter, you know, be more of a gentleman," I smile tightly at him, than go back to trying to decide on what the fuck to order. 

"Huh? What do you mean?" He questions with confusion, but slight offence.

"You know, using manners like 'please' 'thank you', that kind of thing," I clip.

He seems taken back by my sudden out burst. No way he's surprised. "Uh, I guess I didn't realise," he shrugs and takes a sip of his water.

"Mm, you people don't tend to," I mumble and his head snaps towards me, the girls now starring in curiosity at our small disagreement. I probably shouldn't of said that. But anger really is military firearm when it comes to arguing with someone. 

"What," he says, his voice flat.

I face him. "You heard what I said," I retort. 

"Yeah and it was rude," He says and I almost snort. Rude? He wants to talk about being rude? Oh hell nah.

"Rude? Yeah thats not me, but good try," I respond and I notice the girls..giggling? Whatever, at least they're not worried, i'm glad this is funny to them if i'm being honest.

"Don't act like you're unfortunate," he says, and I drop my menu, not wanting to deal with his bull shit anymore.

I scoff, and push my chair back, grabbing my bag and walking to the women's restroom. Gosh, where the fuck is the restroom in this place?

I see a waiter and walk up to him, tapping his shoulder. "Hi, sorry to bother you, but could you tell me where the restrooms are please?" I ask.

"Oh, of course, they're just around that corner," he points to the other side of the restaurant. I thank him before I make my way past tables and to the restrooms. 

I make my way to the rest rooms and push into the tiled area, a few other women washing their hands and fixing their lipstick. I place my bag on the marble counter, and look at myself in the mirror. 

I fluff my hair a little more and re-apply my lipstick and gloss, taking the small quiet time to calm down the brewing anger. 

'Don't act like you're unfortunate'. Fucking hell, I know he doesn't know much about my past,  but he knows enough to be aware that comment was out of line. But to anyone really if you don't know them. 

I huff, before swinging open the oak door. But I halt in the doorway when I notice Danny leaning on the wall. His head perks up from the opening of the door, his eyes full of regret and now softer than before. 

"What," I say dryly.

He sighs. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said back there, and I didn't mean to be rude to the waiter, I just- god I don't fucking know," he rambles out. 

I sigh. "I know and I'm sorry I got angry," I say.

"It's just, I know how he feels. I was a waitress and dealing with rude or impolite customers is just draining and annoying," I say and he nods. "But, your comment on me not being 'unfortunate'," I scoff, the slight burn of anger popping up. 

"I- just don't. Okay?" I say, and he stares at me blankly as if he's trying to understand me. Like a 1000 piece puzzle that is missing a piece and it's the key to bringing together the picture of the puzzle. 

"I know and I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that and I promise to be kinder and a proper gentleman," he smiles and I sigh, smiling back. 

"Thank you," I say, and he holds out his elbow again. I roll my eyes, but envelope my arm with his much strong one, that tenses at my touch. 

"Daphy!" The girls squeal.

"Why were you mad?" Hallie asks, leaning forward on the table.

"Uh-" I begin, but get cut off.

"Because daddy was an idiot," he says, and the girls giggle. 

I shake my head with a smile and take a sip of water, now noticing the glass of wine now in front of me. "Uh, did you order this?" I turn to Danny.

He nods. "Yeah, I wasn't sure what you liked, so I just went with some red wine," he shrugs. 

"Thanks, red wine is actually the only alcohol I genuinely enjoy, the others I can only deal with," I smile softly.

The waiter comes back round and with polite manners from everyone, he takes our orders and I can see a new happiness in his eye from the new wave of kindness he received. 

The girls begin chatting away about what not, talking about summer, past summers, and Hallie begins talking about school. Hallie goes to a private school in New York, which is not to far from our house, so dropping her off and picking her up should be no problem for me. 

I'm not entirely sure what the difference between a private school and a public school is, because there weren't any around me growing up and honestly I didn't care or pay much attention. I just knew the only private school kids I met were assholes, but I'm sure there are some nice ones. 

I just never met them. 

Soon enough our meals arrive, and my smoked salmon with a side of salad gets placed in front of me by the server. With a thank you, he leaves and we all dig in to our meals. 

"Are you excited for school, Hal?" Danny asks Hallie, who's digging into her pasta.

"Mm, yes and no," she answers him. 

"Yes and no?" he questions.

She sits up. "Well, I'm excited to see my friends, but I don't want to be away from everyone," she pouts and I melt.

"Aw, you'll see us after school, and we'll spend time together on the weekends," I tell her and she nods, but still has a small pout on her lips.

"Who will I play with?" Bridie asks, her eyes filled with worry. Of course, the only problem in her mind is who she'll play with when Hallie's not around. Damn, I wish that was my only problem in life. 

"Me, of course," I smile and she nods, happy her issue is now solved. 

We fall back into a conversation, the chatter light and easy. "Dan?" A feminine voice interrupts our conversation and I conceal an eye roll. How come we always get interrupted by one of Danny's 'friends'?

Hey, stop judging like they do to you, she could be nice. Like mila from Bridie's birthday party, she was lovely, along with some of the other parents. 

But I swear they have a tracker on us or something, following him where ever he goes, just so they can interrupt our conversation or moment. 

Danny places his cutlery down and looks up at the middle age woman and a older man - I'm assuming her husband - standing beside her. 

"Louisa," Danny puts on a fake smile, and I can tell from his tense jaw and gritted teeth he isn't pleased. Never mind then. 

"Oh my goodness, funny seeing you here!" she exclaims, her smile bright. 

"Yep, hilarious," he replies a little dryly, but she doesn't seem to notice. 

"Oh and girls, you look gorgeous and- oh," her voice drops an octave. "Who are you?" she may as well spit in disgust, but i'll give her points for hiding the disgust better than other women. 

"I'm Daphne, the nanny," I smile.

She places a hand on her heart in relief. "Oh phew, I thought you two were a thing. Gosh ,Danny for a sec I thought you'd gone off the deep end, being with someone so low," she chuckles, nudging his shoulder. 

I'm pretty sure my jaw is on the fucking ground right now. Did she she just? Wow, flat out just said that. I- fucking hell.

"Excuse me?" Danny coughs as shocked as I am from the words that fell from her lips. 

"Well, you know," she whispers to him, but I can still hear her. 

I look over at the girls who are staring at Louisa in confusion, probably wondering why she's practically insulting their nanny. 

"No, I don't," Danny spits, flicking her perfectly manicured nail hand off his shoulder. "And would it really matter that much if we were together? Daphne is an excellent nanny and a much greater person than you could ever imagine to be. So, I suggest you leave or i'll call for security," he speaks in a low tone, that is quite intimidating and I'm glad I'm not on the other side of. 

Louisa seems taken back by his comment, but not as much intimidated as though offended. "Dan, she is of lower class. It would not be good for your reputation or the girls to be around someone like her. I mean, i'm just looking out for the girls safety," she replies, heavily enunciating the word safety. 

From her comment, Danny stands up fully and from that I notice her throat bob as he stands to is full height, which towers over her. 

"Security!" Danny voices over the restaurant flicking his fingers for service, than goes back to Louisa. "I assure you my girls are safer with Daphne, than they are with any of you. And I can tell you right now I don't give two fucks about my 'reputation'. So, Louisa, don't talk to me or my girls again and please, spread that along to your little group," he grits out and she gulps again, her face white as a ghost. 

As he finishes, two security guards come over to us, most of the restaurant now looking our way in either interest or confusion. 

"Is there a problem here?" One of the guards ask.

"Yes, this woman is being a bother and disrespectful, please escort her out," he says firmly and the guards nod, gently pushing Louisa and her husband through the restaurant. 

Danny sits back down with an aggravated huff and I sigh. "I'm so sorry Daphne, these woman are ruthless and have no empathy," he says, and I wave my hand.

"It's fine," I choke out. Is it?

"No, it's not," he says, the girls now going back to their meals and fully absorbing themselves in a conversation. 

"It's fine," I tell him, stabbing a piece of my salmon. 

"No. Stop saying it's fine, because I can tell it affects you," he lowers his voice. I look over to him, his green eyes searching my face as if I got injured, in grave search for just a small graze he can fix. 

I smile sadly. "It's okay," I assure him, and he sighs heavily but decides to leave it, going back to his meal. 

Thankfully the rest of the dinner was relaxing, with the girls blabbing on and on about random stuff, that at one part i'm not entirely sure what the conversation was, but it was entertaining.

After the meal, we decide to take a walk and the girls get some ice cream from a nearby dessert place, and they eat it as we stroll through the quiet warm streets. The only light emitting from the vintage street lamps. 

"Do you normally experience judgement like that?" Danny suddenly asks as we walk through the park.

"Uh, not much before this job no, because I worked in more middle class areas and they didn't care or know," I say. "But now, it's very prominent and..strange to receive,".

He nods, a quiet silence settling over the two of us, the only noise is the small giggles and banter from the girls walking in front of us. 

"I hate that they judge you for where you're from, I mean I don't know much...but," he pauses, sighing. "Look, I'm trying to say I know we're not from the same social class, and I don't give a fuck about that-" he begins.

"Daddy said a bad word!" Hallie gasps and Bridie giggles. 

"Sorry," he chuckles. "But in no way do I doubt the safety of my daughters with you, so don't listen to what those specific women have to say, because it's not true. I trust you 100 percent with my girls and I know their safety and care is your number one priority," he says firmly. 

I smile softly. "I know and thank you, I haven't felt uncomfortable anyway around you guys so," I say.

"Good, and also know that you can trust me, we're..friends so come to me if you need to talk," he smiles.

"I know and I will," I say, am insane butterfly going haywire in my stomach the way he says friends as if it's poison on his tongue. 

After the short walk we go back to the car and make our way home. Danny puts the girls to bed while I take a shower and get ready for bed. 

Half of me is thankful the day is over, after the small quarrel with Danny and then the argument with Louisa, i'm happy to be in the safety of my room and under my covers.

Although, I'm not looking forward to further 'friends' of Danny's...

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 17.5K 8
Highest Ranking #1 adultthemes (01/05/19) #1 eroticromance (24/10/2019) #1 adultromance (26/06/2019) #1 sugardaddy (05/08/2019) #1 couple (16/08/2019...
1M 14.5K 89
'What am I to you? I want to hear you say it?' 'You are my Daddy?' I replied hoarsely, my whole body trembling slightly. 'And what are you to me?'...
411K 6.5K 12
[On Amazon] Do you remember your safe word?" she asks. "Yes," I mutter. "Say it." "Cross." She takes a deep breath and exhales. "Your only...
1.3M 20.9K 42
๐ˆ๐ง ๐ฐ๐ก๐ข๐œ๐ก ๐ง๐ข๐ง๐ž๐ญ๐ž๐ž๐ง ๐ฒ๐ž๐š๐ซ ๐จ๐ฅ๐ ๐€๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ฅ ๐‘๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐ซ๐จ ๐ฌ๐ž๐๐ฎ๐œ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ฆ๐จ๐ฆ๐ฌ ๐ง๐ž๐ฐ ๐Ÿ๐ข๐š๐ง๐œ๐ž ๐ƒ๐š๐ซ๐ข๐จ ๐€๐ฆ๐จ๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ญ...