INNOCENT (Gabe's Trials)

Oleh a_trent

Julia Groves: young, beautiful, hard working, righteous and a devoted judge. Gabriel Shaffer: dark, handsome... Lebih Banyak

Prologue
A bump in the road
In the Wrong Place at the Wrong Time
Smile like you mean it
The benefit of the doubt
Flirting with disaster
Know your enemy
Off the records
Prove it!
Once in a blue moon
Not over 'till I win
Queen of hearts
All in
Defense mechanisms
Some like it legal
Empire
Control
Mr. S
Proteges
Captive
Echoes of the past
Dea
The killer has left the building
Epilogue
Author's note
Playlist

The upper hand

8.4K 245 4
Oleh a_trent

Spending a whole sunday in bed was not exactly my idea of fun, but it was all I could do not to have my head bursting with pain. I slowly opened my eyes in an attempt to fully wake up and was surprised to discover that I could actually keep them open for longer than a few seconds this time. Leaning my head against the headboard, I reached for my phone on the bedside table and found two messages waiting to be read.

Lila (1:30 p.m) : Thanks for taking me home last night. You're such a great friend. Also, do you happen to remember what I did, because I could use some help with that.

A small laugh went past my lips forcing my eyes to clench shut. Appearently, my headache was back with a vengeance. Trying to ignore it, I moved on to the next message.

Lila (1:32 p.m) : Oh, except for a fierce headache, I'm perfectly fine, btw. Love you!

I fought my laugh back this time, knowing perfectly well what would have happened if I let it out. Another round of slicing pain was the last damn thing I needed right now.

I was glad she was ok, considering how sick I felt. I was also very grateful that she didn't seem to remember I was not the one to take her home. God forbid she ever found out the truth this time. Lila might have been laid-back and all, but her interactions with criminals and murderers started and ended in the courthouse, so there was no doubt that she would have gone mental if she found out that her client's wingman was the one to make sure she got home safe, not me. I was really starting to look forward to the day I wouldn't have to lie to or hide things from my best friend anymore.

Taking a deep breath, I started to text her back. I was aware of the fact that it was 7:45 p.m and that I should've already texted her by now, but there was nothing I could've done about it. She was going to have to deal with it.

Me: No need for you to thank me since you would've done the same. I'm happy you're fine and forgive me for not texting you back sooner, but unfortunately we're appearently sharing the same headache, and that kept me in bed for most of the day. Also, do you mind if we take a rain check on refreshing your memory since I've just fully woken up? Love you too!

I put the phone down and decided it was about time I finally stood up. My backside was numb.

Firmly placing my feet on the floor and using the strength in my arms, I somehow succeded to lift myself up from the bed. It felt strangely good to be able to stand, even though I still felt a little dizzy. My cell lit up again and I swiftly picked it up.

Lila: I'll take the rain check, thank you very much. Have you had something for your headache?

Yeah right... What part of "that kept me in bed for most of the day" didn't she get?

Me: Nope. Got any suggestions?

I couldn't help my smile when my cell started vibrating again in less than a minute.

Lila: I don't know. Some aspirins, maybe? And a bath. Definitely a bath.

Since her advice was better than nothing, I decided to go for it.

$$$

I was litterally on fire. Even the fluffy, white towel I had wrapped around myself seemed too harsh for my over sensitive, flushed skin, but -thank God!- I knew that was just an after effect of the scalding water of my bath. Another after effect of that bath -and probably of the two aspirins I had taken too- was an almost nonexistent headache. Long story short, I felt much better and I had Lila to thank for that.

Grabbing another towel, I stepped into the living room and started to towel dry my hair. Good Kisser was softly playing in the background and before I knew it, I was humming along to it. Until it hit me... I hadn't been the one to turn the fucking music on.

My heart started racing in time with the beat of the drums and I was just slightly aware of Usher saying that he'd kissed a lot of girls. Quickly scanning my surroundings and making sure that the bedroom door was still closed and also knowing that nobody could've been in the bathroom, my mind immediately connected the dots, making me realise that the only two options left unchecked were the living room and the kitchen. Slowly turning towards the kitchen archway, I felt relieved to notice that I was still alone in the living room. That feeling of relief vanished when my eyes met a man's huge frame perching on one of my kitchen stools, though.

The first thing that crossed my mind was to run and the second was to scream, but I'd done neither. I just stood there, watching him watching me.

"You're out of wine." That husky voice coming from the man staring me down calmed my nerves, because I knew who it belonged to. Gabriel unhuriedly stood up, taking his glass with him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, when I was finally capable of using my voice again. Coming into my line of sight he casually leaned against the wall behind him.

"I'm having a glass of wine at the moment. I hope you don't mind." I shook my head and he smirked. "Do you know that nine out of ten people keep their spare keys under their doormats?" My brows shot up and I swallowed hard before speaking again.

"And you came here to tell me that?" My voice was nothing but a whisper and his smirk turned into an amused grin.

"No, I just told you that so that you can't say I broke into your house. I simply came through the door." His eyes travelled hungrily down my body and my hands gripped the towel tighter. Crossing the distance between us in three large strides, he stopped in front of me and gently grabbed my wrists, pulling my hands away from my body. I prayed to God for the towel to stay where it was. "Finding you wearing nothing but a towel was a bonus and if you don't stop acting all emberrassed in front of me, I'm going to get really mad. I like you natural and without inhibitions. I want you to be able to act like that around me." How was I supposed to act natural and uninhibited around him? Except for the fact that I was the judge of his case and that he had bought me a car, I knew nothing about him. He was a complete stranger to me.

"Why are you here, Mr Shaffer?" Taking my hands to his lips, he started kissing the top of my each and every finger, gently biting down on them. My eyes closed and I had to bite on my tongue to stop myself from moaning.

"I'm here to make you scream." And he was saying it like it was the most normal thing in the world. There was something seriously wrong with this man.

"What makes you think that I want you to make me scream?" I tried to take a step back, but his grip of my wrists intensified, holding me still.

"Oh, no, you're not walking away this time. I've had it! I can't stop thinking about you, your fucking gorgeous red hair and those entincing lips of yours. You wanted seduction and I gave you seduction. It's my turn to get what I want. And I want to make you scream. I need to make you scream." My breath hitched at the promise in his voice and my teeth dug into my lower lip. "Look at me and tell me you don't want that too!" He challenged and my tongue skimmed my suddenly dry lips. A deep, almost pained groan escaped him as he lunged at me.

Before I could fully understand what was happening, his arms were snaking around my waist, pulling me flat against his chest, his lips savagely attacking mine, his tongue harshly asking for entrance. I groaned when one of his hands skimmed the still sensitive skin on my thingh and he took the opportunity, tasting the inside of my mouth with lingering strokes of his tongue. The flavour of his minty breath combined with the subtle taste of wine was amazing, and quite addictive, truth to be told. My head was already spinning uncontrollably.

I knew that trying to push him away would have been useless, so instead of that, I found myself answering his kisses, my tongue gently stroking his. I was lost in a world of pure pleasure and judging by his approving grunts, he was quite pleased with what we were doing as well.

His hand started travelling up my thigh, grabbing my backside and pushing me against his groin. I couldn't help the gasp that escaped my lips the moment his rock hard arousal met my lower stomach and my back arched into him.

Keeping one hand at the nape of my neck and the other firmly placed on my backside, Gabriel started walking me backwards to the couch. Placing one knee on the couch, he lowered me back against the cushions, ending up towering over me, his eyes ablaze.

"You want this." He said and it wasn't a question.

"Don't give me the chance to change my mind." I sounded almost desperate, and that's exactly how I felt. I wanted him at least as bad as he wanted me.

A satisfied smile spread across his face as he stood up, leaving me panting on the couch. What the hell?

Grabbing his glass of wine, he took a sip from it and undid the two buttons of his suit jacket, his eyes never leaving my body in the proccess of doing so. I felt a rush of heat spreading at the juncture of my thighs and clenched my legs shut. A dissaproving look crossed Gabriel's face and after dropping his jacket on my small coffee table, he turned back towards me.

Kneeling next to the couch, he gently brushed my hands away from my body and made quick work of the towel, leaving me lying completly naked in front of him, whereas he was still fully clothed. A knowing smirk pulled at his lips.

"Perfect." He mumbled, dropping his head to my neck and licking the contours of my pulsating veins. Oh my God! I could have died of pleasure. "Now, judge, you need to keep still." I was keeping still. "Stop squirming, Julia!" His harsh voice and hearing my name being called by him made me freeze to the spot. "I would like for us both to enjoy this, but for that, you need to stop squirming and focus on what I'm doing to you. Understand?" I nodded and threw my head back, relishing the feel of his mouth getting closer and closer to my chest.

His hands cupped my breasts kneading and massaging and his lips latched themselves to one of my nipples. A small scream escaped me as he smiled against my skin.

"Still thinking about changing your mind?" That was a stupid question. He knew I wasn't. "Answer to me, judge!"

"No." My voice was impatient and clipped.

"Good." Kissing a path down the center of my stomach, he stopped right before getting where I needed him to be. Gabriel stood up again, looking down at me, his controlled demeanor playing havoc with my mind.

Placing a firm hand on one of my ankles, he slowly pulled my leg up, dropping it on the couch's backrest and crawled back between my legs. A shiver ran through me the moment he dropped his head between my thighs, inhailing deeply. My leg fell down, ending up resting on his shoulder after the first sweep of his tongue against me and my hands flew to his hair.

"Oh God!" His fingers digged into the skin of my thighs keeping my legs wide open, in spite of my struggle to close them. He then started sucking on me and I was officially lost to the world. It felt too damn good and his sinful mouth was restless.

One of his hands released my leg, joining his mouth and two of his fingers plunged deep into me, hitting my sweet spot repeatedly. My insides started to quicken and my hands gripped his hair tighter as I felt my body going limp. And then he pulled back, leaving me on the edge of my release. My eyes widened, my lips parting in shock. I could feel my release going away -my big o this time- and I knew that I couldn't have handled another sexual frustration after the disaster that was Phil. I was going to cry. I was really going to cry.

"Look at me, judge!" Domineering ass. Yet I couldn't stop myself from doing just that. Taking his fingers to his mouth, he licked them clean and I started writhing underneath him. He was torturing me, the bastard. "Remember this when I'm not here to remind you myself! Remember how I can make you feel!" His other hand went back to where I needed it to be and added the exact amount of pressure necessary to make me explode. I let go and it was the most wonderful, intense and most mind numbing release that I had ever experienced.

I screamed.

$$$

Three minutes later, I was still basking in the afterglow of my release while Gabriel looked down at me, in awe. I wanted to ask him what he was thinking about, but that took energy and I didn't have any left.

Two swift knocks at the door made us both step out of our trance.

"Are you expecting company?" I was fucking naked. Nobody expects company while naked. I managed to shake my head and he frowned.

Another two knocks followed and then the sound of people talking came from the other side of the door.

"Um... Jules, sweety? It's dad! Are you there?" My eyes widened and my mouth dropped open at the sound of my father's muffled voice. Great timing, what can I say? I tried pushing a very amused Gabriel Shaffer off of me, but he wasn't even budging.

"My parents are at the door." I spat at him, and he just shrugged.

"So I've heard." Oh, he had to be kidding me. "Are you ok, judge? You're all flushed, all of a sudden." Ok? He was pinning me to the couch with his body, my parents were at the door and I was completly naked. I was furious.

"Get off of me!" I silently growled.

"Why?" He asked, feigning ignorance.

"Because I need to get dressed." Why was I trying to reason with him?

"Why?" He asked again.

"Because if I don't answer the fucking door, my father will soon let himself in." That seemed to do the trick. Gabriel stood up, helping me up as well.

After grabbing a pair of black yoga pants and a red tanktop and putting them on, I made my way back into the living room.

"Going commando often?" Gabriel asked from the couch. He had made himself comfortable, resting his feet on my coffee table. The huge arousal he was sporting was carefully concealed by his untucked shirt.

"You need to leave!" He frowned.

"What? No." Impossible man...

"My parents are at the door."

"Good, I'd like to meet them." He wanted to meet my parents? What the fuck was that supposed to mean?

"Oh, please!" His eyes sparkled mischivously when he looked up at me again.

"Go out for a drink with me!" I was sold to him already. What would've been the point of going for a drink with him anymore?

"After tonight? No!" He shrugged.

"I'm not leaving then." He wasn't leaving? How was that his choice?

"I'm calling the cops, then." And I would've if my parents weren't just on the other side of my front door.

"With your parents waiting at the door? I don't think so." I let out an incredulous huff. At least he was aware of the fact that I would've done it, under different circumstances.

"You bastard!"

"I've been called worse." Ok, that was it. It made no sense for me to keep arguing with him, since he wasn't backing down on this. Appearently my parents were going to meet the hot as hell criminal who was pleasuring their daughter like no one else. He had the upper hand this time and he knew it too damn well. Not to mention the fact that the bastard really knew how to use his levarage.

I went for the door without looking back at the impossible man that was Gabriel Shaffer and was faced with my father's worried face. He had let himself in, like I knew he would.

"Jules, are you ok?" He asked, grabbing my upper arms.

"Dad, hi! I'm fine, I just... I was talking business with a collegue and I didn't hear you." I knew that he knew I was lying. It would've been impossible for me not to hear him calling. Briefly glancing down at my outfit, my father frowned, looking utterly confused.

"Business, huh?" I knew what he was thinking. Who wears yoga pants and tanktops for a business meeting?

Before I could make up an excuse, Gabriel had one hand placed at my lower back and the other extended at my father. I was mortified.

"Mr Groves, it is a plesure to meet you, sir!" Dad gave Gabriel a searching look and then accepted his offered hand.

"You too, son!" Son? I risked a glance in Gabriel's direction and found him smirking. I thanked God when I noticed that he also had his suit jacket back on.

"It's Gabriel, sir. Gabriel Shaffer." Oh, great! Give him your name, why wouldn't you? For a retired lawyer, my father still had a lot of connections in court so there was no doubt that he was soon going to hear about Gabriel and his case. I was in for a lecture, no doubt about that. "And this must be Mrs Groves." Gabriel said, his warm, large hand leaving my back. Taking Miranda's hand, he softly bent his head to kiss her knuckles. I could see her flushing and that had my blood boiling. She was too old for swooning whenever a gorgeous man kissed her knuckles. "Like mother, like daughter. Julia certaily got your beauty." Both Miranda and dad frowned and I awkwardly cleared my throat, trying to keep my composure. Gabriel turned on his heels, giving me a worried look.

"Um... Miranda's not my mother. She's dad's wife. And she is pretty indeed, I can't argue with that." Giving Miranda a fond smile, I tried to gauge Gabriel's reaction. Nothing seemed different about him, though. He was his cold-blooded self.

"Please, forgive my mistake, Mr and Mrs Groves." It only took one of his smiles for my parents to beam at him as well. I knew that the effect he had on them was no different than the effect he had on me. "Now, why don't we take a seat and let Julia get properly dressed. I'm afraid I arrived at a very bad moment and woke her up, explaining her outfit. I just really happened to need some help in a rather urgent matter." My father nodded, taking Miranda's hand, the both of them following Gabriel to the couch. What the hell? He was playing host in my house, like he had the right to do that. I was boiling mad, but causing a scene in front of my parents was not even an option. So I just silently walked to the bedroom, closing the door behind me.

$$$

A pair of jeans and a large sweatshirt had to do. After all, it was past 8:30 pm and this was my place. I had the damn right to wear something comfortable.

Walking into the living room, I found my parents laughing, Gabriel's eyes immediately connecting with mine, a secret smile playing at his lips.

"So, where do you work, Gabriel?" My father asked, -his laugh subsiding- drawing Gabriel's attention back to him.

"I own a security company, sir." Yeah, right! I had no idea what he was actually doing, but he sure as hell didn't own a security company.

"Well, that's killer business, son." I almost bursted out laughing at my father's choice of words. I couldn't have said it better myself.

"Yes, it is." Gabriel answered, another mischivous smile pulling at his lips.

Probably, finally sensing my presence, dad turned to look at me.

"Oh, dear, this man is hilarious." I forced a smile. I found him anything but funny.

"Would you like some coffee?" They all nodded and Miranda stood up from next to dad.

"I'll help." Oh, no, she wasn't planning to help me. She was planning to dig information out of me and I felt too tired to resist her, so I shook my head.

"Thanks Mir, but I can handle myself." Making my way to the kitchen before even giving her the chance to say anything else, I turned the coffee machine on and started to prepare some cups. This was fucked up. I had no idea how to get out of the situation I was in and Gabriel wasn't helping me. Introducing himself to my parents like that? What was he thinking? We weren't even supposed to know eachother like that.

"Nice guy, this Gabriel." My father said from behind me. I turned and gave him a tired smile. I felt tired.

"I guess so..." Dad narrowed his eyes on me.

"What's wrong, Jules?" What wasn't?

"Nothing. Hard week at work, that's all." I sighed and turned my back to him again, attending to the coffee.

"I know it's none of my business, but isn't he a bit too old for you?" I couldn't even answer to that question. I had no idea how old the man that had pleasured me, no longer than ten minutes ago, was. Looking back into the living room, I found Gabriel and Miranda laughing at something and her flushed state told me that she was probably just as affected by his presence as I was. Gabriel looked indeed closer to her age than mine, but -thank God!- that didn't mean a lot. Miranda was only 35 herself.

"I don't know and I really don't care, dad. We're not dating." I tried to sound indiferent and unaffected, but I actually ended up sounding frustrated, even to my own ears.

"Whatever you say, kiddo. Just be careful, ok? There's something about him..." Oh, I was very well aware of the fact that there was something about him, not that I was ever going to admit that to my father.

"I've got nothing to be careful about. Like I said, we're not dating. We just work together for now." I shrugged. Somebody cleared their throat behind me and my heart started hammering in my chest. I knew it was him. I could feel it in my bones.

"Well, I think I'll go keep my wife a little company." And just like that, my father left me alone with a man I couldn't resist. I was fucked.

"What are those doing there?" Gabriel asked pointing at the buquet of white tulips in the trash. I rolled my eyes. They were from Mr S. What was I supposed to do? Keep the flowers from my stalker in a vase?

"I don't know who they're from and I don't accept flowers from strangers." He studied my face for a moment and then nodded thoughtfully.

"Do you need any help?"

"It's just some coffee, not an open heart surgery. I can handle, thank you!" Feeling his hot breath against my ear made my entire body wake up to life. It wasn't going to be long before I gave in to him again.

"You're mad at me." Correct!

"Of course I'm mad at you. You didn't want to leave and now my father thinks that there is something going on between us. Plus, you lied to my parents." He bit down on my earlobe and I leaned my head against his shoulder.

"One -there is something going on between us. Two -I've never lied to your parents." Lifting my head from his shoulder and turning to face him, I gave him a cold glare.

"Really? A security company?" He shrugged and gave me an innocent look.

"What's wrong with that?" Except for the fact that it was a lie?

"The fact that you don't own one." His beautiful, brown eyes slightly narrowed on me.

"Have you ever checked the card I gave you?" That was easy.

"I wasn't planning to call you, so no." Taking a hand to the inside pocket of his jacket and gritting his teeth in annoyance, he pulled another small, cream coloured card out and extended it to me.

"Take a look now!" There was no arguing with him. I glanced at the card in my hand and there it was. Gabriel Shaffer, CEO of Shaffer Security. He owned a fucking business.

"Well, it must be a good cover up for what you're actually doing." I whispered and he smirked. Yep. I still wasn't falling for it. He may have owned a business, but that didn't change the fact that he was part of the mob and probably a killer too. So why didn't I care about any of it? I should've been appaled by him, scared of him, or something, but instead of that, I was attracted to him. What the hell was wrong with me?

"The coffee's ready and we should get back to your parents." Gabriel said, his smirk firmly in place. Taking the tray with the cups from the cupboard, he started for the living room and I followed suit. After placing the tray on the coffee table, he went to sit back on the armchair, but not before grabbing my hand and forcing me to sit on the empty one as well.

"So, son, what do your parents do?" Dad asked and Gabriel glanced at him.

"They're both retired, but my mother used to work as a teacher and my father, well, he owned the company before me." Dad and Miranda both nodded.

"And they live here, in California?" Miranda asked.

"No, actually, they moved to Italy six years ago. I stayed here to take care of the family business."

"Oh, how lovely! I heard Italy is a wonderful country. Your parents must love it." Gabriel nodded and smiled fondly.

"They do. My father is actually from Verona. He moved to San Diego when he was 18 and started his own business, but he missed Italy too much so..."

"So they went back there." Miranda finished his sentence. He nodded.

So, now I knew something about his parents and I also had an explination for the few Italian words I'd heard being uttered by him. I was really starting to get somewhere with the jigsaw that was Gabriel Shaffer.

"Oh, have I told you what your father did last week?" Miranda asked going for a change of subject and Gabriel's shoulders relaxed a bit. He had been nervous? God! I still had to peel many layers off if I wanted to ever come close to knowing this man and his many, unexpected reactions.

$$$

"I'll call you, darling. Be careful!" Dad said, hugging me tightly before taking a step back and looking at Gabriel. "It's been a pleasure to meet you, Gabriel." They shook hands and Gabriel smiled.

"The pleasure was all mine, sir, believe me!" My father nodded and after taking his wife's hand, they both headed out.

I closed my eyes, letting out an exhausted sigh as the door closed behind my parents. Well, it had been quite a night, I must say...

"Come on! It wasn't that bad, was it?" Gabriel asked, placing a gentle hand onto my shoulder. I just shook my head. "I'm sorry about that comment about your mother. I should've known." What did he mean by that?

"You couldn't have."

"Yes, I could have." He answered, sighing.

"How?" I asked, frowning.

"I just could." I looked up at him and he gently shook his head in apology. "What happened to her?"

"She left when I was twelve. My father remarried Miranda five years ago."

"I'm sorry about that."

"It's ok. It was a long time ago."

"Not that long." He said, an amused smile forming at his lips. "Stop acting like you're fifty. Twenty six is not nearly that old." My mouth dropped open. How the hell did he know my age? He was just short of laughing, the bastard. "Your driving license... I had to check it to know where to bring you last night." Oh...

"Thank you!"

"It was all my pleasure." I could bet it was. And it was also the time for him to leave. He was dangerously close to me at the moment.

"You need to go." I struggled to get the words past the lump in my throat. Gabriel's eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"You want me to go?"

"I think it's for the best right now. I need time to wrap my head around everything that's happened tonight." He smiled a sexy, dangerous smile and took a step closer towards me.

"I could help you wrap your head around what happened tonight while you wrap those beautiful lips of yours around something else." I wanted to scream YES, but I somehow managed to hold it back.

"You really need to leave." Stopping in front of me, he slowly bent his head and I knew that that was it. He was going to kiss me and I was going to let him and then we were going to lose a whole night of sleep.

"Good night, judge!" He said, gently brushing his lips against mine. I just watched him walk out the door and close it and found myself panting. This was too intense. The feelings he was waking up inside of me were too intense and they were consuming me. And all he had to do for that was to touch me. How was that fair?

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

35.7K 582 51
Michael Russo is the most powerful, feared man in the world. With a deep hatred for the Russians and Mexicans his family has had for generations, at...
647K 21.4K 64
❝I want to worship you like a queen. Every fucking day. And use you like my little slut. Every fucking night. Together, we can set the world on fire...
9.4M 235K 32
[WARNING: This book has mature content in it, such as sexual content, violence and substance abuse. I suggest reading if you are 18 or older.] ▪•▪•▪ ...
4.5M 115K 36
Sophia Marino lived with her aunt in America since she was 7, her mom died when she was still a baby and she would visit her family during holiday. N...