The Shadow [On Hold]

By Geeky_LittleBookworm

The Doctor was a name that was feared throughout the stars, but there's one name that creates even more immen... More

Part One Face Claims
Aesthetics
Prologue
The End of the World
The End of the World Part 2
Dalek
Dalek Part 2
The Long Game
The Long Game Part Two
Fathers Day
Side Face Claim
Side Mission
Bad Wolf
Bad Wolf Part 2
The Parting Of The Ways
Part Two Face Claims
Announcement
The Christmas Invasion
The Christmas Invasion Part 2
A New Time Lord
New Earth
Tooth and Claw
Tooth and Claw Part 2
Lil Information
You're Not Her
New Oder Of Updating
School Reunion
School Reunion Part Two
School Reunion Part Three
Rise of The Cyberman
The Age of Steel
The Age of Steel Part Two
The Age of Steel Part Three
Small Visits
Army of Ghosts
Army of Ghosts Part Two/ Doomsday
The Aftermath
The Runaway Bride
The Runaway Bride Part Two
The Runaway Bride Part Three
The Runaway Bride Part Four
Meet the new Regenerated Alfie!
Smith and Jones
Smith and Jones Part Two
Gridlock
Gridlock Part Three
The Wolves of New Orleans
The Wolves of New Orleans Part Two
The Wolves of New Orleans Part Three
The Wolves of New Orleans Part Four
The Wolves of New Orleans Part Five
Blink
A Break

Gridlock Part Two

912 47 4
By Geeky_LittleBookworm

Alfie - Bold

The Doctor - Bold and Italics

Celeste - Italics

"The Doctor is so going to kill you, and never mind him, I'm going to kill you myself! Let go of me!" Martha snaps at the Milo angrily, Celeste also struggling in Cheen's arms.

"Let us the hell go!" Celeste snaps, her eyes starting to glow.

"Let's give them both some Sleep."

"Don't you dare! Don't put that stuff in me, don't! Get off me!" Martha struggles against the woman's hold, Cheen putting a patch on Martha's neck.

"It's just Sleep Fourteen. No, baby, don't fight it."

Celeste watches with sorrowful eyes as Martha falls asleep, her burning gaze falling on Cheen as the kidnapper puts Martha in the car.

"Now you sweetheart."

"It won't work on me." Celeste's voice was a low snarl, making Cheen flinch back a little at the venomous tone

"It works on everyone, it doesn't hurt, come on." Cheen places the patch on Celeste's neck, despite how much the brunette was struggling. Both kidnappers watch in shock as the patch burns up, Celeste still very much awake. 

Milo looks at Cheen, giving her a small nod. The pregnant woman sighs before picking up a rock off the ground.

"No, don't you dare!" Celeste's struggles grew, Milo hissing in pain as he feels his skin start to get burned.

"Now Cheen!"

Cheen slams the rock into Celeste's head, the brunette going limp as she gets knocked out. A small amount of blood trickles from the wound caused by the rock.

"In the car, quickly."

The two kidnappers put Celeste next to Martha and quickly close the car doors, speeding off a moment later.

Alfie and the Doctor run through the abandoned hallways, desperate to get the girls back. They slam open the door, a loud yell of anger escaping the Doctor as they watch the car drive off. 

Alfie's eyes widen, his eyes shining silver brightly. 

"Can you feel her?" The Doctor's tone was sharp and short, his jaw clenched in anger. 

Alfie closes his eyes, trying to feel his bond with Celeste. Feeling nothing but a cold empty pulse, only letting him know she was alive. 

"Nothing." 

"Shit!"

***************

"She's all right. She's breathing, pulse is fine, and no harm done. She looks rich. She must have got lost." Cheen, withdraws her fingers from against Martha's neck. She moves and presses them gently against Celeste's neck, biting her lip in worry. "This one though, her pulse is weak, and she's got a head wound. Those males, they seemed angry that we even dared to touch her."

"Yeah, well, they both are worth their weight in gold to us. And those guys can't reach us on the fast lane." Milo reaches for the radio, a grin on his face. "This is car four six five diamond six. We have four passengers, repeat four. Request access to the fast lane." 

"Access granted."

*************

The Doctor hammers angrily on a closed hatch, Alfie at his side, a dark look in both the Time Lord's eyes.

"Thought you'd come back. Do you want some happy Happy? You both look like you need it." The Pharmacist's cheerful voice cuts short, at the deathly glare she was getting from both men.

"Those people, who were they? Where did they take them?"

"More importantly, how do we get them back?" Alfie's voice was a low snarl, the Doctor's voice not much lighter.

"They've taken them to the motorway."

"Looked like carjackers to me." Another Pharmacist opened their hatch, the Doctor's head snapping over to them.

"I'd give up now, darling. You won't see them both again." A third Pharmacist pops up, Alfie's thoughts straying to whether it would be like whack a mole, if he smashed them with a hammer back into their little boxes.

"Used to be thriving, this place. You couldn't move. But they all go to the motorway in the end."

"He kept on saying four, we need four. What did he mean, four?" Alfie's tone was low, his thoughts still very much in their violent nature as he address's the pharmacists.

"It's the car-sharing policy, to save fuel. You get special access if you're carrying four adults." The third pharmacist answers, her eyes widening sightly at the younger Time Lord.

"This motorway. How do we get there?" The Doctor takes over. eyes blazing as the Oncoming Storm takes over. Alfie closes his eyes momentarily, tilting his head up towards the sky as he reaches out through the bond to Celeste again.

We're coming for you love.

"Straight down the alley, keep going to the end. You can't miss it. Tell you what. How about some happy? Then you'll be smiling, my love." Alfie's eyes snap open and he walks off in the direction given, the Doctor going to follow, before he stops and turns back. His eyes were alight with rage, his jaw clenched to stop himself from lashing out at the humans.

"Word of advice, all of you. Cash up, close down and pack your bags." The Time Lord's voice was sharp with barely controlled anger, one of the pharmacist's flinching back in fear.

"Why's that, then?"

"Because as soon as I've found them, alive and well. And I will find them both alive and well. Then I'm coming back, and this street is closing. Tonight!" 

The rage of a Time Lord is something that cannot be controlled nor calmed, for when their bonded is in danger, may fate have mercy on whoever stands in their way.

*******************

"Now you just settle back. It's all going to be worth it."

Martha wakes and takes the tab from her neck, her eyes full of concern as she looks at a still unconscious Celeste. She reaches over and presses a finger against her neck, a visible sigh of relief going through Martha's body when she feels the pulse.

"Yeah. The view from the windows. You can see all the way out to the flatlands. Clear blue sky. They say the air smells like apple grass. Can you imagine?"

"The houses are made of wood. There are jobs going in the foundries. Everyone says so."

Martha see's the gun in front of her and grabs it, keeping a protective hand on Celeste. She points the gun at them, voice pleading.

"Take us back. Whoever you are, just take us back to our friends. That's all we want. I won't cause any trouble. Just take us back."

"I'm sorry. That's not a real gun." Cheen's voice was soft, expression kind despite the circumstances.

"Yeah, well, you would say that." Martha sighed, feeling she wasn't going to get very far.

"Where do you get a gun from, these days? I wouldn't even know how to fire."

"No, nor me. Okay."

Putting down the gun, Martha casts another look at Celeste, eyes focusing on the bloody head wound she has.

"What's you and your friends name?"

"Martha. Martha Jones. And Shay."

" Well, I'm Cheen, and this is Milo. And I swear we're sorry. We're really, really sorry. We just needed access to the fast line, but I promise, as soon as we arrive, we'll drop you both off and you can go back and find your friend."

"Seriously?" Disbelief covered Martha's face, eyebrow raising in surprise.

"I swear! Look. Honesty patch." Cheen showed the patch on her neck, a small frown forming on Martha's face.

"All the same, it's still kidnapping! And what have you done to Shay?! She's bleeding and probably has a severe concussion!"

"We're sorry about your friend, it's just the patch wouldn't work on her." Cheen's voice was sincere, but it only added to Martha's frustration to how her friend had been treated. She got off the bed and went over to the one Celeste was on, trying to see how bad the wound was.

"Where are we?"

"We're on the motorway." Milo replied, words swift and abrupt.

"What's that, then? Fog?" Martha peered out the windscreen, squinting slightly as she tried to see through the fog.

"That's the exhaust fumes." Cheen clarified for her.

"We're going out to Brooklyn. Everyone says the air's so much cleaner, and we couldn't stay in Pharmacy Town, because-"

"-Well, because of me. I'm pregnant. We only discovered it last week. Scan says it's going to be a boy." The couple both gave each other a soft look, happiness in their eyes.

"Right. What do I do now, congratulate my kidnappers?" Martha derisively comments, sarcasm coating her words.

"Oh, we're not kidnappers. Not really."

"Nope? You're idiots. You're having a baby, and you're wearing that?" Martha reaches forward and snatches the honesty patch from Cheen's neck, ignoring the woman's pained hiss. "Not anymore."

"This'll be as fast as we can. We'll take the motorway to the Brooklyn flyover, and then after that it's going to take a while, because then there's no fast lane, just ordinary roads, but at least it's direct." Milo gave a small glare to Martha, annoyed at her for hurting his girlfriend.

"It's only ten miles."

"How long is it going to take?" Martha relaxed a little, knowing that wasn't a very long distance.

"About six years."

"What?!"

******************

Alfie sighed, stroking one of the kittens to keep himself calm. The Doctor and him had joined a couple on the motorway, but there was no good news on how to get to the girls. He was starting to get impatient.

"We've got to go to the fast lane. Take us down."

"Not a million years."

"You've got four passengers. Take us down, now." Alfie's tone was sharp, eyes flickering silver, but Brannigan would not back down.

"I'm still not going."

"Listen, our girlfriend is there. She's alone and she's lost. She doesn't belong on this planet, and it's all my fault. Our friend is with her too. I'm asking you, Brannigan, take us down." The Doctor softens his tone, hoping to be listened to.

"That's a no. And that's final. I'm not risking the children down there." Valerie's tone was sharp, Alfie looking at her with a strange look.

"Why not? What's the risk? What happens down there?" Alfie spoke up again, worry encasing around his hearts and squeezing tightly.

"We're not discussing it. The conversation is closed."

"So, we keep on driving." Alfie scoffed lightly, unable to control his temper.

"Yes, we do."

******************

"If you won't take us, we'll go down on my own." The Doctor crouches over the hatch in the bottom of the cart. Alfie crouches next to him, buttoning his jacket over his shirt and tie.

"What do you think you're doing?" Brannigan's eyes widen, and Valerie's mouth parted open in shock.

"Finding our own way. We usually do." Alfie chuckles softly, a small smile flashing across the Doctor's face.

The Doctor sonics open a trapdoor in the floor of the car, Alfie's eyes widening slightly as he looks down beneath them.  A car stops directly beneath them and both Time Lord's brace themselves, focusing on the thoughts of their bonded and Martha.

"Here we go." The Doctor says, taking his coat off and throwing it to Valerie. "Look after this. I love that coat. Janis Joplin gave me that coat."

"But you can't jump." Valerie breathed out, her eyes wide.

"If it's any consolation, Valerie, right now, we're both having kittens." Alfie murmured, eyes not having moved from trapdoor.

"Your girlfriend and Martha. They must mean an awful lot to you."

"Feisty, she is the world to us. Without the stars, what does the moon have to gaze at?" Alfie's voice was soft, love in his eyes as he spoke about Celeste. A soft smile crossed Valerie's face watching him.

"We would be lost without her. And as for Martha?" The Doctor raised an eyebrow, his tone sombre. "Hardly know her. I was too busy showing off. And I lied to her. Couldn't help it, just lied. Bye then."

Both Time Lord's drop onto the roof of the car below, Brannigan and Valerie going over and peering down through their car's trapdoor.

"They're completely insane!"

"That, and a bit magnificent!"

******************

"Try again." Cheen's voice held an edge of panic, Milo tapping the computer with a small frown. Martha dabs at Celeste's head with a small wet cloth, a worried look in her eyes as she hopes for the girl to wake up soon.

"Brooklyn turnoff one, closed." The computers monotone voice sent a chill down everyone's back, complying to Cheen's panicked requests, Milo tries the other exits. 

"What do we do?" 

"We'll keep going round. We'll do the whole loop, and by the time we come back round, they'll be open." Milo gives his girlfriend a reassuring smile, hoping to calm her down. 

A low growl was heard from beneath the car, Martha's eyes widening in fear as she hears loud banging. A groan sounds beside her and she looks with a smile to see Celeste opening her eyes.

"You're awake."

"I'm going to murder them." A snarl ripped from Celeste, her eyes glowing golden. She hisses painfully, the glow flickering as she brings a hand to her head. "Are we on the fast lane yet?"

"Right, I forgot you knew things." Martha sighs, half relived and half annoyed. Another growl cuts through the silence, Celeste's eyes widening. "You're still calling that air vents?"

"What else could it be?"

"Giant crabs." Celeste muttered in annoyance as she sat up, her eyes closing as she tries to reach out to the Doctor and Alfie. 

Are you both there? 

Feisty, thank Rassilion. Are you okay? 

Love, are you alright? 

Celeste smiled at the sound of both her Time Lord's voices, a sense of calm washing over her as she focused on only them. 

I'm okay, my head is just a bit fuzzy. 

Why? Did they hurt you?

One of them hit me in the head with a rock...

What?!

I'm going to kill them.

They were desperate Alfie, I'm annoyed but I can understand why they did what they did. 

Where are you and Martha now? Are you safe?

No, we're in the fast lane, there's Macra down here. 

We're coming for you both darling, just hold on. 

Celeste took a breath and opened her eyes, flinching back slightly at a louder growl from outside the car. 

"Can you hear me? Hello?" Focusing back on what was happening around her, Celeste listened to the screams of the people on the other end of the radio, sadness in her eyes. 

"Just drive! Do what she said. Get us out of here!" Martha's tone was sharp with a touch of fear. Leaning forward, Celeste grabbed her hand and squeezed gently. 

"But where?" Milo questioned, Cheen fearful beside him. 

"Just straight-ahead you idiot! And fast!" Celeste snapped angrily. 

"What is it? What's out there? What is it?"

****************

"Capsule open."

The Doctor and Alfie drop into the car, both Time Lords coughing as they breathe in the clean air.

"Excuse me, is that legal?" The driver asks in a calm tone, despite the strangeness of events. 

"Sorry, Motorway Foot Patrol. Whatever. Have you got any water?" 

"Certainly. Never let it be said I've lost my manners." The gentleman gives the Doctor and Alfie a cone of water, the pair drinking it eagerly. Alfie goes over to the hatch in the floor, catching the sonic when the Doctor throws it to him. He sonics it open, squinting into the fumes below. 

"Is this the last layer?" 

"We're right at the bottom. Nothing below us but the fast lane." 

"Can we drive down?" 

"There's only three of us. You need four to go down." 

"Couldn't we just cheat?" The Doctor asks, worry clenching around his hearts. His bonded was hurt and in danger down there. And Martha, she was an innocent in the wrong place, he shouldn't have let this happen. 

"Well, I'd love to, but it's an automated system. The wheel would lock." Alfie sighed in frustration, running a hand through his hand in annoyance. The Doctor came over to the hatch and peered down, a frown marring his face when he recognises the growls. 

"Feisty was right." Alfie murmured, his tone sombre.

"When is she ever wrong?" The Doctor lets out a noise of frustration, going back over to the car computer. "I just want to see. There must be some sort of ventilation. If I could just transmit a pulse through this thing, maybe I could trip the system, give us a bit of a breeze."

As the Doctor sonics the computer, Alfie watches a breeze sweeps down below. The Macra becoming so much clearer to the eye. The Doctor joins his side again, mouth parted open slightly in fascination.

"Macra."

*******************

Something hits the car, Martha gripping Celeste's hand tighter in fear. Cheen lets out a small yelp of panic, stress filling Milo's face. 

"Go faster!" Cheen begs Milo, her boyfriend having no success as he dodges the fast claws of the Macra. 

"I'm at top speed!"

"Turn everything off." Martha and Celeste say at the same time, Milo turning to them with a surprised look.

"You've got to be joking."

"But listen, it's all fog out there, so how can they see us? Maybe it's the engines, the sound, or the heat, or the light. I don't know. Turn everything off. They might not be able to find us." Martha speaks quickly, just hoping the man would listen to her. 

"What if you're wrong?"

"It can't be worse than this! Just do it!" Celeste says urgently, Milo finally listens to them both and turns everything off. 

The car goes dark, and outside goes quiet, a sigh of relief escaping Martha's lips. 

"They've stopped."

"Yeah, but they're still out there."

"How did you think of that?" Cheen turns to Martha and Celeste, curiosity in her eyes. 

"I saw it on a film. They used to do it in submarines. The trouble is, I can't remember what they did next." Celeste gave Martha's hand a little squeeze, trying to give the woman some comfort despite the situation they were both in. 

"Well, you'd better think of something, because we've lost the aircon. If we don't switch the engines back on, we won't be able to breathe."

*************

"Oh! Rough teleport. Ow. You can go straight back down and teleport people out, starting with our bonded and Martha." The Doctor got up from his previous position on the floor, Alfie by his side looking around in curiosity.

"I only had the power for one trip." Novice Hame said, sorrow in her eyes. She had heard all about the Time Lord's bonded and she was sorry to have had to leave her behind. 

"Then get some more! Where are we?" The Doctor looked around, joining Alfie in his curious exploration. 

"High above, in the over-city." Alfie snapped his head to the nurse, voice snappish and sharp. 

"Good. Because you can tell the Senate of New New York we'd like a word. They have got thousands of people trapped on the motorway. Millions!"

"But you're inside the Senate, right now. May the goddess Santori bless them."

Hame uses her teleport bracelet to turn on the lights. The senate is populated by skeletons. Alfie's eyes widen in shock as he walks over to a skeleton, taking note of the patch stuck to its neck. 

"They died, Doctor, Alfie. The city died." 

"How long's it been like this?" The Doctor's tone was sombre, sorrow in his eyes at the amount of dead people around him. 

"Twenty-four years."

"All of them? Everyone? What happened?" Alfie's voice was soft as he crouched beside a body, assessing it. The Doctor joined his side, both Time Lords filled with sadness. 

"A new chemical. A new mood. They called it Bliss. Everyone tried it. They couldn't stop. A virus mutated inside the compound and became airborne. Everything perished. Even the virus, in the end. It killed the world in seven minutes flat. There was just enough time to close down the walkways and the flyovers, sealing off the under-city. Those people on the motorway aren't lost. They were saved." 

"So, the whole thing down there is running on automatic." The Doctor realised, standing back up, moving away from the skeleton. 

"There's not enough power to get them out. We did all we could to stop the system from choking."

"Who's we? How did you survive?" Alfie asks, also moving away from the skeletons. 

"He protected me. And he has waited for you both, these long years." Hame gave a small smile and directed the pair through a passageway. 

"Doctor, Alfie." 

"The Face of Boe!" The Doctor gasps, going over to the tank. Alfie crouches in front of it, laying a hand on the glass with a sad look. 

"I knew you both would come." The Face of Boe's tone carried a tone of happiness, a smile forming on Alfie's face.

"Back in the old days, I was made his nurse as penance for my sin." Hame explained, the Doctor's eyes flicking to her when she speaks. Turning back to Boe, the Doctor places a hand on the glass, concern in his eyes. 

"Old friend, what happened to you?"

"Failing." Sadness was written all over Alfie's face, a bitter tang in his mouth as he tried not to think about his friend passing. 

"He protected me from the virus by shrouding me in his smoke. But with no one to maintain it, the City's power died. The under-city would have fallen into the sea." 

"So, he saved them." The Doctor realised, his voice soft.

"The Face of Boe wired himself into the mainframe. He's giving his life force just to keep things running."

"But there are planets out there. You could have called for help." Alfie says a frown on his face at why this planet had been abandoned for so long. 

"The last act of the Senate was to declare New Earth unsafe. The automatic quarantine lasts for one hundred years."

"So the two of you stayed here, on your own for all these years." Laying a hand on Hame's arm, the Doctor gave her a sympathetic look. 

"We had no choice."

"Yes, you did."

"Save them, Doctor, Alfie. Save them." 

******************

"How much air's left?"

"Two minutes." Milo answer's Cheen's question, visible beads of sweat on his face from the stress. 

"There's always the Doctor and Alfie. That friend of mine and Shay's boyfriends. They might think of something." Martha looks at Celeste hopefully, frowning when the brunette says nothing in response. 

"Martha, no one's coming." Milo gently says, trying to accept their fate. 

"They looked kind of nice, the one with the silver eyes looked scary though." A small chuckle falls from Celeste's lips, proud of her boyfriend.

"He's a bit more than that. And Alfie is definitely scary sometimes." Martha smiles at Cheen, both of them trying to calm down. 

"Are you and him...?" Cheen trailed off, noticing Celeste's dark gaze. 

"No, no! Both the Doctor and Alfie are with Shay, I could never." Celeste smiled at Martha's hurried answer, it was a welcome change to how Rose used to be. 

"I never even asked. Where's home for you two?" At Cheen's question, Martha looks at Celeste, but the younger brunette just signals for her to answer. 

"It's a long way away. I didn't really think. I just followed the Shay, the Doctor and Alfie, and they don't even know where I am. My mum and dad. If I died here, they'd never know."

"So, er, who is he, then, this Doctor and Alfie?" Celeste can't help but chuckle softly at Milo's question. Such a long answer to such a simple enquiry. 

"I don't know. Well, not really. There's so much they never say."

"But that means that the only hope right now is complete strangers. Well, that's no use."

"They are not strangers." Celeste's voice was quiet but strong, eyes determined. 

"And it is of use, though, because you haven't seen the things they can do. Honestly, just trust us, both of you. You've got your faith, you've got your songs and your hymns, and we've got the Doctor and Alfie."

"Right."

Milo turns the car back on and Celeste takes a breath, hoping it wouldn't be her last. Martha squeezes her hand and both women keep their fingers crossed. 

"Systems back online."

*****************

The Doctor has got a computer working and he gives a cry of triumph when he reads what is on the screen. Alfie, at his side, grins in joy, glad to see his bonded is alive.

"Car four six five diamond six. It still registers! That's Feisty and Martha. Novice Hame, hold that in place." The Doctor gives a cable to the nurse and smacks his forehead, trying to think. "Think, think, think, think. Take the residual energy, invert it, feed it through the electricity grid."

"There isn't enough power."

"Oh, you've got power. You've got us. We're brilliant with computers, just you watch. Hame, every switch on that bank up to maximum. I can't power up the city, but all the city needs is people." The Doctor rushes around, connecting cables to other ones. Alfie goes to the computer and starts typing rapidly, changing the code to accommodate to their plan.

"So what are you going to do?"

"This!" Exclaiming loudly, the older Time Lord throws down a large switch, his face falling when the lights go out.

"No, no, no, no, no!"

"No, come you idiot machine!"

Both Time Lords cry out in frustration, the Doctor joining Alfie at the computer. Sonic in his hands the Doctor speaks rapidly.

"The transformers are blocked. The signal can't get through." Alfie grits his teeth as he works with the Doctor, his hearts alight as both Time Lords feel their bonded's fear.

"Doctor." The Face of Boe's voice was weak and Alfie looks over, eyes widening at the state of their friend.

"Yeah, hold on, not now." At the Doctor's rushed words, Alfie elbows him, making him look up at the tank.

"I give you my last..."

The power comes back to the computer, the cost for their success deadly. The Doctor drops the control panel he was holding and runs over to the switch, flicking it down.

"Hame, look after him. Don't you go dying on us, you big old face. You've got to see this. The open road. Ha!"

*****************

"Oi! Car four six five diamond six. Feisty! Martha! Drive up!" Martha and Celeste look at the Doctor on the car computer, relief in their eyes.

"That's the Doctor!" Martha exclaims with joy, a sense of calmness flowing through her at the sight of the alien.

"We can't go up! We'll hit the layer!" Milo protests, earning a whack on the back of the head from Celeste.

"Just do as he says you idiot! Go up now!"

"You've got access above. Now go!" Alfie appears on the monitor, Celeste's smile growing at the sight of both of her Time Lords.

Milo steers the car up out of the reach of the Macra, all passengers in the car staring at the sunlight with relief. Celeste's eyes close as she feels a natural warmth cover her face, she never doubted her boys, but it sure did feel nice not to be in mortal peril anymore.

"It's daylight. Oh my God, that's the sky. The real sky." Cheen smiles, her eyes wide with disbelief.

"They did it! I told you, they did it!"

********************

"Doctor? Alfie?" Martha's voice trailed off as she looked at the skeletons scattered around the senate. Celeste looked at them sadly, a sigh falling from her lips.

"Martha, don't look at them."

"Over here." Both girls follow the Doctor's voice, tears filling Celeste's eyes as she sees the Face of Boe's condition. Alfie comes up to her and wraps her in his arms, bringing her over to the head.

"Doctor! Alfie? What happened out there?" Martha stops, mouth agape as she stares at the giant head.

The Face of Boe is out of his tank and is lying on the floor, the Doctor at his side. Celeste is on her knees in front of him, Alfie's arms around her, comforting her.

"What's that?"

"Not a that, a who. He's a friend." Alfie's voice was soft, his thumb wiping away the stray tears on his girlfriend's face.

"He's the Face of Boe. It's all right. Come and say hello. And this is Hame. She's a cat. Don't worry. He's the one that saved you, not us." The Doctor encouraged Martha over, the doctor in training coming closer hesitantly.

"My lord gave his life to save the city, and now he's dying." Hame grieves, her tone full of sadness for the one she looked after for so long.

"No, don't say that." Alfie speaks, a frown settling on his face. "Not old Boe. Plenty of life left."

"It's good to breathe the air once more." Boe's laboured voice filled all their minds, sadness tightening around the hearts of the Time Lord's in the room.

"Who is he?"

"We don't even know. Legend says the Face of Boe has lived for billions of years. Isn't that right?" Alfie's soft voice answered Martha's question, his gaze falling onto Boe. "And you're not about to give up now."

"Everything has its time. You know that, old friend, better than most."

Jack, please, just keep on fighting.

"My time has come firefly, don't cry, you have to be strong for me." This time Boe's voice only filled Celeste's mind, the brunette having to bite her lip from crying.

"The legend says more." Hame starts, but the Doctor cuts her off before she can continue.

"Don't. There's no need for that." Ignoring the Doctor's fierce expression, Hame carries on, her voice not wavering for a second.

"It says that the Face of Boe will speak his final secret to two traveller's and their treasure."

"Yeah, but not yet. Who needs secrets, eh?" Seeing his bonded's broken face, the Doctor links his hand with Celeste's giving a soft squeeze.

"I have seen so much. Perhaps too much. I am the last of my kind, as you two are the last of yours, Doctor, Alfie." The Face of Boe's voice grew weaker, a tear slipping down Martha's cheek.

"That's why we have to survive. All of us. Don't go." Celeste's voice was quiet, her heart breaking at the about to be passing of her friend.

"I must. But know this, Time Lords, Shadow. You are not alone."

Boe breathes out for one last time and closes his eyes. Hame weeps, Martha wrapping an arm around her in support. Both Time Lord's wrap themselves around their bonded, the three comforting each other.

Goodbye Jack

*****************

This is honestly the longest chapter I've ever written! Over 5000 words, I'm exhausted lol. I am splitting this one off into a third part, it'll just be some moments between Celeste and our Time Lords.

I apologise that I haven't updated this book since August, life has been crazy recently.

How are you all?

Please do let me know if there are any spelling mistakes, my laptop doesn't like to let me know if there are any anymore :/

Have a muffin, go on, treat yourself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.7K 423 47
*SEQUEL NOW OUT* Thought to have perished in the Great Time War, The Historian now resides on Earth with her closest friend, Henry, whom she rescued...
20.5K 613 35
She goes by many names. The adventurer, the genius; A liar, a truth seeker. But in the end, all of that won't matter any more. Why? The universe is...
760 57 11
Laura was a simple girl from Scotland, but tragedy seemed to follow her. Every night she kept having dreams about this man, a man who she would follo...
7.3K 264 7
The Doctor found his mate, his Bonded, his Chosen, in the form of the best friend of who would become his companion. He found the one who makes him f...