A Lily Amongst Roses

By emidaydreams_

Rue Perkins grieves over the loss of her mother and sister. Due to her mother's will, she is sent to live wi... More

A Lily Amongst Roses
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen

Nine

1.3K 76 62
By emidaydreams_

Wednesday

"You must be Rue?" The woman smiled, though it wasn't kind. Her lips were tight and stained with red lipstick, her hair was a dyed dark blonde which was tied up into a long ponytail, to fit the flower theme, she wore a black dress with black floral lace embroidered from the bottom all the way to the top of the sleeves with a singular black Dehila pinned to the side of her ponytail. Her eyes were dull brown. Her tanned skin made her look more prettier than her personality.

I stared in shock, shaking my head, tears slowly brimming my eyes, "N-no."

Fuck. I stuttered.

"Well, Rue, I am Giovanni and the boy's mother, Vivianne." She paused looking me up and down in disgust.

I wanted to curl up and cry.

She rolled her eyes, "And you must be the bastards whore's child."

I flinched slightly at her tone, her cold eyes burning into skin. I felt itchy.

Breathe, Rue. Breathe.

"I would've loved to meet you yesterday." I winced as her nails slowly punctured my wrist, she kept a fake smile open to anyone looking at us.  I closed my eyelids, opening them meeting her cold intense gaze. "Unfortunately, Arlo and Bruno were adamant that I leave."

Breathe.

She rolled her eyes before darkly rolling her eyes, "And that Ralph," she spat his name out with venom, my eyes widened, my lip trembling as I noticed him walking up behind her, he seemed so happy to see her but as soon as he heard his name leave her mouth like that, he stopped in headlights a few feet away from her, just waiting for her to continue.

She didn't notice him.

"My, he was so pathetic as he told me that you were just upstairs. That idiotic, good for nothing, imbecile." She rolled her eyes, "He's useless honestly, yet he looked so proud when he told me. Out of all my sons, he really wanted my approval, I really despise of his existance." She laughed as if she told the funniest joke ever.

Ralph's face dropped. I imagined his heart did too. He looked down at the sandstones, and when he looked up we locked eyes, both with tears brimming in our eyes.

How dare she say that about her own son.

She was delusional.

She continued, bruises slowly forming on my arm, "His brothers were pissed, of course, Ralph was furious when they tried to stop me from getting to you. That bipolar cagna." (Bitch)

I hoped she stopped there, but she continued, "Those dickhead's father ruined my life, you know. But they always thought I was crazy, especially after I burnt down the harvest and flowers five years ago." She tutted, "That was their breaking point, I suppose, amongst other things. Feeble really, these villagers are so goddamn poor. Ha."

Ralph. Please help.

"And Bruno, that god damn arsehole. He really didn't want me any where near you." She firmed gripped my chin, with a snarl, "What's so special about you and not me?" Her gaze darkened as she smirked watching me as I whimpered.

Oh fuck. Ralph. Please.

Ralph... I know you hate me. But please, help me. I internally begged.

Where the fuck was the rest of our brothers? I tried to find them amongst the dancing crowd but due to my gaze no longer on their mother, Vivianne pulled my arm closer to her, quite painfully as well, jerking my attention towards her.

A tear escaping my eye to which she used her cold long fingers to wipe them away mockingly, "Go home, Rue. Back to that England town. I don't care if it's on the streets or in foster care. Leave. My. Boys. Alone."

Ralph closed his eyes. Internally processing what his mother had just said about him and his father.

He composed himself, calmly coming up towards us, Vivianne noticing her son, immediately dropping her hand from my face.

And with a fake sweet smile her face lit up in fake happiness, "Ralph! I was just introducing myself—"

Ralph interrupted her, "Leave."

Her smile faltered, and with a forced smile she muttered, "What?"

Just like his mothers eyes were to me, he gave her a coldest glare, worst then the one he had given me, "Leave, Vivianne."

I gulped, as her nails were removed from my wrist, I pulled my arm to myself as Ralph came towards my left, wrapping a protective arm across my shoulders, I flinched, but relaxed once I realised. He's not going to hurt me.

"Don't come back here, ever. Leave." He watched as she stepped back, lifting her chin high, she scoffed turning on her heels and heading away.

Ralph was tense, watching her venture in the crowd, he pulled his phone out of his pocket, sending a quick message to Giovanni I assumed, before muttering about how useless these guards are.

Once we could no longer see her, he guided me away from the town square, we went past the flower sculptures towards a street to there a single water fountain presented itself surrounded by benches and street lamps, the houses circled round, the rural structure curving around the fountain.  The music slowly faded in the background along with peoples laughter. We sat at the closest bench.

I immediately sobbed into my hands. My eyeliner beginning to slightly run down the side of my eyes. I wiped them carefully trying to make sure not to ruin my look any further. I wasn't a huge makeup fan anyway, but I wanted to make an impression.

Ralph seemed unsure of what to do.  His face didn't have any glare, any hatred. He looked lost. Sad.

He pulled me into a hug.

His shoulders began to shake, the coolness from earlier disappeared.

Slowly, he began to cry.

A vibrate from his pocket made him slowly pull away, he checked his phone.

With a shaky breath he explained, "It was Vanni, he's dealing with Vivienne personally, but wants to know if you're okay. He knows you're with me, but I think he'll send Arlo or Bruno to us." He whispered, pulling his arm to his phone as he began texting.

Slightly exhausted, I tilted my head, resting my cheek on his shoulder, he tensed pausing his typing as the corner of his eyes he stared at me before relaxing slightly, continuing typing. Once he sent the text, he placed it back into his pocket.

He stared at the floor, catching my wrist in his eyesight, "I'm sorry."

I blinked. Wait what?

Did the Ralph Fiore... just ... apologise?

My eyes widened as I sat up, turning to his head that hung as he played with his fingers,

"I overheard and saw everything. I'm sorry she even touched you. She.. god.. she hates me." He cried.

A few more tears escaped my eyes, as I reached to grab his hand.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what's wrong with me." He wiped his tears with his white shirt sleeve. " If it wasn't for the fucking stupid bipolar."

He paused, swallowing slightly, "Well. I'm not diagnosed. But I don't know how my brothers would feel if I wanted to go get a diagnosis."

Oh. Well, that would explain a lot.

I stayed quiet. Wiping my own tears away.

I inhaled deeply.

"It's okay." My voice felt hoarse. It was weird.

Ralph shook his head. "I don't know how to feel. If I should go to my dad or my mother. She's my mother. And he's my father. I don't know whether to like or dislike you. I just feel so confused." He whispered his voice shaking as he rested his elbows on his knees and dropped his head into his hands.

I've never actually seen someone so vulnerable.

I coughed quietly, with a lump in my throat, "I don't think I like your mother. But, if I can be of help, Id be honest with Giovanni. Ask him for help."

There was silence between us again.

He was thinking.

I grew worried I said something I wasn't suppose to. My anxiety growing, my eyes travelling to the harsh redness of the marks of nails on my wrist, and my jaw slightly aching from being gripped by Vivianne.

"I'll try."

"Does this mean you'll tolerate me?"

He looked up from his hands, his eyes darkening at my face, "She's bruised you."

I gulped. "I-it's fine. It hardly hurts." I lied. It hurt like a bitch.

He shook his head, his eyes puffy and red from crying, a tear stained cheek, "I'm unsure about you. I don't like that you've taken our last name."

I shrugged, letting a small out sniffle as I gently explained, "Imagine how I felt when I got outside the airport and I saw a sign that said 'Rue Fiore' and not Rue Perkins. I felt like my whole identity was taking away and I was given a new one. I know I'm not a Fiore. I mean, I didn't even know Italian, still don't. I didn't know about the Flower Festival. I didn't even know my mother put Giovanni's name down as my guardian in her will." I laughed slightly, a rogue tear escaping my face, "Hell, I didn't even know you all existed."

He stayed quiet. Watching the fountain in front of us, he rubbed his neck, "I thought you had our last name the entire time."

"Nope. It wasn't even twenty four hours that my mum had died and they changed it. Whoever they is."

Ralph sighed, reaching in his pocket and pulling out a crochet bee. He handed it to me.

My eyes slightly lit up, a soft exhale escaped, "Bee."

"I noticed your Minecraft bee. So, I crocheted you one. Do you like it?"

"I love it." But I frowned slightly, "Why did you make me it?"

"I don't know. I looked up what to girls like and what to make for younger sister who's upset and I found making them something helps. I remembered the bee so I just crocheted you it."

Realisation crept in, "You crochet?"

He playfully glared at me slightly, "Don't laugh."

He stood up, "Come on, let's look at the flower sculptures. I'm sure there's a bee one there somewhere."

I stood as well, moving my camera to the side to avoid getting squished, I reached up to hug his tall frame. He seemed surprised at my sudden action, but quickly relaxed, wrapping his arms around my body, a hand behind my head and he pulled me towards his chest.

"Thank you, Rue."

I smiled slightly looked up at him with puffy wet eyes, "Thank you too, Ralph."

Maybe Ralph wasn't so bad.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oh my god. Well. This chapter made me... feel.

How are you guys doing? You enjoying the book so far?

Ralph got an emotional moment with Rue. That really.. ouch.

Also Ages!!

Rue - 17

Ralph - 18

Arlo - 22

Bruno - 24

Maximus - 25

Giovanni - 29

- Emi

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

146K 4.5K 33
On the coldest night of the coldest months of the year, a Rose bloomed in the icy Knight's household ... A flower she is ... And a flower she was nam...
1.8M 43.9K 52
Liliana has always had a bad life. Ever since she was five, her mother would date the wrong people who would corrupt her, and she was the one who alw...
11.6K 858 25
["You're not as interesting as I thought. I'm tired of playing with you, little witch." He simply said, before turning around and walking away. I wo...
23.4K 493 15
Georgia Alice Monroe The same girl who has been abused until she found her brothers. She has relied on having all of her brothers there for her since...