Sweet 'n' Sour | ✔

By SkWookie

❝Mummy, meri shaadi karvado.❞ Aditya Shrivastava had lived half of his life third-wheeling his friends and th... More

Copyright
Character Aesthetic
Description
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
epilogue I

fifty-five

24.5K 1.9K 571
By SkWookie

55. thoda khatta, thoda meetha. (A little sweet, a little sour)

•°•

-two weeks later-

"Aditya, can you check with your mom if everything's in perfect order?" Priya asked me sounding anxious. Her eyes darted across the kitchen floor which was occupied with all the things needed for the Vastu-Shanti Puja.

"Can you gather the things close? I'll WhatsApp her the picture." I suggested. It's better to communicate with her through text rather than talk over the phone. We haven't talked much since the time Priya and I returned home. And I'm not up to pretending everything's normal again, at least not so soon.

"Oh, ha, that sounds like a good idea." She crouched on the floor, being careful of the mattress laid down. I waited until she was done before clicking the picture and sending it to my mother, asking if that's all or if anything was missing, keeping the text curt and short.

"Are you not sure though? You told me you asked the priest about it." I asked her.

She hummed. "But he told me everything on the phone. I couldn't even note it down or ask him to repeat it since he sounded busy. I'm not sure whether I've got all the things or not," she said, going through everything again. "I did check on the internet. But we can't rely on it alone. We both will be performing the puja. It'll be a hassle to get something on time during the time of puja."

I nodded in agreement. "We could have waited though. Dadi will be arriving any moment. She knows these things more than anyone."

Priya looked up at me, not saying anything. It made me awkward. "What?" I probed.

"She is trying."

She has been trying for over seventeen years now. I'm not an experiment that can be redone once failed.

"Good for her. Tell her I said all the best." I left the kitchen immediately after that sarcastic comment.

The living room looked like something out of a movie. There was a huge television on the wall, the seating area was more spacious than any average middle-class house, the floor was Italian marble, the wall holding the tv had this eye-catching geometric art, and the light glowed only around the square where the TV was fixed. On the right was the way leading out on the balcony, on either side of the glass door was a fake plant. The room extended where the glass door ended, a relaxing massage chair was placed in front of a window, beside it stood an expensive lamp. There was also a shelf, which right now had multiple show pieces and a few books. The color theme was brown and black, pretty classy I must say.

I know my description is kinda basic but bare with me. I'm not an interior designer or a lifestyle magazine editor. I'm just an average Indian man, dwelling in a middle-class family, with dreams bigger than my palms could hold, responsibilities overflowing the same. I don't think I could have afforded a house like this even if was older. My wife's definitely a superwoman.

"What are you looking at?" Priya came to stand by my side, her arm linking with mine before she rested her head on my bicep.

"Just," I whispered, shoving my hands in my pockets.

"Just what?" There goes my curious little feline.

"Our future," I looked down at her. She met my eyes with a blink.

"Is it beautiful?" She asked hopefully.

"I don't know," I answered honestly.

"Then is it sad?" Her lips turned down.

"I don't know."

"Then how is it!?" She asked impatiently.

I chuckled. "We are together."

She sighed, it didn't sound like a relief. "Are we really?"

"Why? You can't envision the same?" My heart plummeted in disappointment.

She smiled bitterly. "I do, just not physically." She mumbled. "In how many years will it be? Four? Five? When I'll be sitting here," she pointed at the floor in front of the coffee table. "with a laptop on the table. Talking to you through a video call."

I tsked. "Why are you already thinking about it? There's so much time before that." I released a heavy breath.

"I think because days are moving a lot faster for me." She muttered softly. "Aren't they for you?"

"I wouldn't know. You always seem to have all my attention nowadays." I smiled cheekily.

She rolled her eyes but couldn't fight back the smile blossoming on her lips. My smile turned genuine, relieved now that she was back to me again, instead of ahead in time where we wouldn't be together like this, hopefully only physically.

The doorbell rang and I looked over my shoulder, confused about who it was at this time. Bua is arriving at two pm and everyone else at three. The auspicious time suggested by the priest for the puja is three forty so we thought three would be the perfect time to put on the invitation card. Well, unless it was a delivery boy or some neighbour, I guess.

"I'll see who it is," I said to Priya, making my way towards the main door. I looked through the peephole but the person was standing on the side, availing only their shoulder in the frame. I shrugged and opened the door, smiling in surprise at the sight of Pari. She looked up from the floor, mirroring my gesture. "Hi,"

She nodded. "Hi, there,"

Opening the door wider, I let her in. "You are early."

"Ah yeah, I hope that's not a problem." We walked inside together.

"Not at all,"

Priya turned around in time to spot us, a frown replacing her smile. Thankfully, she covered her expressions in time and sported a welcoming smile on her face. I wonder if she knows it too. The thing that Vikram told me that night. That Pari thinks of me more than a friend. I hope not. Pari is just a good colleague to me, and a jolly neighbour, nothing more, nothing less. I intend to keep it at that for the rest of my life so there's no point in poking around the things that don't matter.

"Wow, you've got a nice place," she spun slowly, looking at everything, nodding in appreciation at the interiors. "This is beautiful." She smiled at Priya.

"Thanks,"

"Did you change the interiors and had it redone? Because what Aditya's mom put on her WhatsApp status was quite different from this." She asked curiously.

"Yeah, I changed around a bit of things." Priya nodded.

"Nice, it's even more beautiful now." Pari hummed. "Uh, by the way, this is for you both." She said, forwarding the paper bag in her hands. "A housewarming gift."

Priya took it hesitantly. "Thank you. You didn't have to get anything though. You came, that's more than enough."

I resisted the urge to scoff. Look at the blatant liar, lying so swiftly.

Pari smiled. "I'm sorry for coming so early. I've a flight in an hour and I really didn't want to miss out on meeting you guys one last time before leaving."

"Last time?" Priya's brows furrowed.

I looked on curiously as well. "What do you mean by that?"

"I was offered a joining letter at our office in Sydney. I accepted it." She shrugged at us.

"What?"

"Congratulations,"

Priya and I said at the same time.

"Thank you," she said to Priya before looking up at me. "Sorry, I did not tell you earlier. Either way, it's not that it matters. And you were too busy with your personal life."

I blinked, nodding in understanding. "Anyway, have a safe flight. And enjoy your time in Australia. Look out for weird bugs and kangaroos though."

Pari laughed. Priya shook her head with a smile. "Yeah, I will. Alright, it's time I take my leave." She glanced at her wristwatch before looking at Priya. My wife was surprised when she suddenly leaned in to hold her wrist. "Have a happy life. I wish the best for you both." She smiled at us. "Bye then," a whisper, as though she was holding something back. With a glance at me, she turned and left.

"What are you waiting for? Go and accompany her until the gates." Priya tapped on my arm.

"Huh?" I looked at her confused.

"Go!" She shoved me forward. I stumbled, regaining my balance and looking perplexed at her over my shoulder. She jutted her chin towards the door, pointing to me with her eyes. I sighed but obliged anyway.

Pari was at the elevator when I rushed out of the house. She turned slightly, her eyes widening at the sight of me.

"I'll see you out," I answered.

"You didn't have to," she smiled.

"You are our first guest. And you had been a friend to me for over two years. Let me. This is the least I can do before we part ways for good." I requested.

"You make that sound so sad," she inhaled a deep breath.

I stood beside her quietly.

The elevator opened with a ding. I let her step in first, following right behind. "Did your park the car in the basement?"

"Isn't that only for residents?" She asked softly.

"Oh, is it? I wouldn't know. I'm new here too." I scratched my nape sheepishly, pressing for the ground floor.

She chuckled.

We rode the elevator in silence, exiting once it reached the ground floor. I walked her to her car in the parking lot.

"No one's seeing you at the airport?" I asked her.

She opened the door and turned to face me. "You know it's only mom and me. I begged her to not tag along. We'll be crying buckets there in the middle of the airport. I can't be having puffy eyes on my first international travel." She chuckled. "And Bhai is in Ahemdabad. Since Bhabhi is pregnant, he can't afford to leave her alone." She shrugged.

"What about your mother now? Will she be staying with your brother?"

"Yeah," she answered.

"Well, understandable." I nodded, shoving my hands in the hoodie. "Do you- do you want me to see you off?" I offered hesitantly, blaming the sympathy I felt towards her.

"Would you?" She tilted her head to the right, looking at me playfully.

I cleared my throat, not expecting her to accept my offer. "I- I mean, I can. Should I go back and get the car keys? Or I can drive with you-" she began to laugh.

"Look at you trying to convince yourself." She patted my chest. "Don't worry, I won't drag you with me to the airport."

I heaved a sigh of relief.

"Bye then, take care," she turned to get inside the car.

I nodded, closing the door for her. She slid the windows down so I stepped back to look at her. "Aditya," she met my eyes.

"Hmm?"

"Thank you,"

"For what?" I frowned.

"For being my first love," she admitted, freezing me completely. "Thanks to you, it was more beautiful than painful. I'm so happy it was you." She smiled brightly at me. "Bye," she waved at me, focusing front and pulling her car out of the parking spot. I stood there immobile, watching her drive out of the gates and back into the busy roads.

Lowering my head to the ground, I exhaled a heavy breath, shock wearing off me the more memories spilled into my head from the past. All those moments that I overlooked, now made sense.

Her popping to my floor to have lunch with me, asking me if I noticed the change in her appearance, wearing dresses of my favourite colors and getting disappointed when I didn't notice them, packing my favourite side dishes with her lunch, offering me lifts every now and then, those lingering touches on my arm, and the looks of longing. Fuck, how did I miss it all?

When did it all start?

How did I not notice it?

For a split second, I was glad I didn't. If I had known she liked me before I met Priya, I don't want to imagine what that would have made of us. Maybe she didn't confess before because there was never hope. If that's the case, I'm happy. As selfish as it might sound, I'm thankful she didn't complicate things for me when I was already struggling. It's good for her too, considering she looked like she is finally ready to move on.

"Adi!"

My head snapped up in the direction of where the call came from. I gasped in shock seeing Neelam bua waving at me wildly. "Bua!" I screamed, causing her to laugh while I reduced the distance between us in a few seconds. "Bua, I missed you so much!" I hugged her tightly.

"Oh, mera ladla, you did?" She cooed, stroking my back gently.

I nodded over her shoulder, tightening my arms around her.

"Madam, mere paise. (Ma'am, my money.)" The cab driver said.

I pulled away, shoving my hand in the pocket for my wallet. A sigh of regret left my mouth when I realised I didn't bring it with me down. "Wait here, Bua, I'll-"

"Arey rehne de, mein pay kar dungi. (Let it be, I'll pay.)" She said in the process of unzipping her bag.

"But Bua-"

"Tu itna bada nahi hua hai ki apne bua ke kharche uthayega. Yaad nahi har dopeher kaise mere paas aata tha paanch rupaye maangne. Bua, ice cream khana hai. Do na please. (You're not that old to carry my expenses. Don't you remember how every afternoon you used to come to me for five rupees. Bua, I want to eat ice cream. Please give me money.)" She imitated what was supposed to be my teenage self. I'm sure I didn't sound like a schoolgirl.

"Bua, I didn't sound like that."

I flustered in front of the driver who chuckled at our exchange.

"There you go, Bhaiya," she handed over the money. "thank you for dropping me off safely."

"Welcome," the driver bowed his head before he got inside the cab and drove off.

I picked up the bags from the ground. "Wow, this is heavy."

"I'm staying over at your house. I can't tolerate Reshma Didi and her minion." She shuddered. "Make sure I get a clean room."

"We have got two extra rooms. Don't worry." I smiled at her.

She nodded. "We'll have so much fun."

"How many days are you here for? Dadi said she'll be over for at least a week." I said excitedly as we headed in the direction of the elevator.

"Three."

"Bua!" I looked at her disappointedly.

"Accha chal chaar. (Alright, let's make it four.)" She shoved me on the arm.

"Bua!"

"Okay, baba, saade chaar. (Okay, fine, four and half.)"

"Are you kidding me right now?" I pressed for the seventh floor, looking at her in dismay.

She chuckled. "What? It's a good bargain."

"A week."

She sighed helplessly.

"You already booked a return ticket, didn't you?" I asked. Knowing her, she never does things without having everything pre-planned.

She smiled sheepishly.

"Bua," I sighed.

"Oh, we are here. C'mon, I can't wait to see your house!" She left the elevator excitedly.

I followed with sluggish shoulders.

"Which one? This one?" She pointed to the left. I took that finger and directed it towards the right.

"That one,"

"Oh yes, after all, it's the right one " she cocked a brow at me, "got that?" She pointed at me, laughing at her own joke. When I didn't laugh, she rolled her eyes. "Gosh, you have a got bad sense of humor. You definitely took after that lawyer brother of mine. He is just as dense as you." She turned to ring the doorbell.

Priya opened the door, her eyes widening in pleasant surprise at the sight of Neelam Bua. "Oh my god, Bua!" She hugged the older woman right at the doorstep. I smiled.

"Wow, I was missed so much, huh?" Neelam bua chuckled, patting Priya's back soothingly. "How are you?" She asked when they pulled away.

"I'm good. What about-"

"Let's go inside first," I said, my arms already aching from holding the suitcase.

"Arey ha, please come inside." Priya shifted aside to let us in.

"My goodness, such a pretty house." Neelam bua looked around in awe.

"You liked it?" Priya asked sounding nervous.

"I loved it. It's beautiful. And oh, you've got a nice view." She walked towards the balcony.

"Priya," I whispered. My wife turned her attention to me. "Bags," I gestured towards the stuff in my hand. "Which room?"

"Ah, the one with the grey curtains." She answered.

I nodded and made my way down the hallway towards the room on the right. Opening the door, I put the bags in the corner, taking a look around to make sure everything was in place. I smiled at the fresh bunch of towels arranged on the bed, the room smelled of fresh air and a floral room freshener, a new door mat was placed in front of the bathroom door, and the room looked comfortable enough to live in. Despite the firm attitude and controlling personality in front of the world, my wife is thoughtful and has a warm nature. It makes her more admirable.

When I returned to the living room, it was empty. The chatter coming from the kitchen helped me navigate where the two women disappeared. I headed towards the kitchen and leaned against the counter, watching with a smile as both of them worked kneeling on the mattress. Priya waited patiently while Bua went through the things, listing out the absent things. That reminded me of the message I left on mom's WhatsApp number. I had turned off the wifi afterward and forgot to check again. Fishing out my phone, I established the internet connection and it took a few seconds before the notifications began to pile in. Mom's reply was one of them.

"Priya," I called out.

She looked up at me.

"Here, Mom replied with the list of missing things." I bent over the kitchen island to hand her my phone.

"Show me," Bua said. Priya shifted closer and both of them read the message together.

I walked out of the kitchen, deciding to get ready before more guests start to arrive. I would be the one receiving them since Priya will need more time before we are set to start the ceremony. She probably will be busy getting ready by the time guests begin to arrive.

Entering the bedroom, I picked up the outfit I had laid out this morning. Ivory kurta and white pajama pants. I washed my face before putting on the outfit. While I was clasping the watch around my wrist, the door opened. Priya stepped in, peeking at me past the doorframe. She grinned lopsidedly, her brows rising at me in appreciation of my looks.

I smiled, looking away from her reflection in the mirror.

Entering, she leaned against the wall beside with her hands locked on the back.

"Get out. Don't you have things to do?" I asked, trying to hide my flustered self behind the mask of annoyance.

"How do you look so handsome as the days pass? Are you aging backward?"

"I'm still young." I scoffed.

"Maybe I should hide you forever so no girl ever looks at you." I rolled my eyes at the statement. "Mr. Shrivastava, from this day forward, you're banned from leaving this room. Stay here forever."

"No, seriously, what books are you reading lately? Definitely not my collection. I don't read such cheesy things."

She chuckled and rushed to hug me from behind. I was thrown forward for a split second because of the impact. "Are you that happy?" I asked her through the mirror.

She nodded eagerly.

"Are you that happy to be with me?" I rephrased, turning around to meet her eyes.

She nodded again, just as eagerly.

I cupped her cheeks and grinned down at her. "Me too!"

She giggled, locking her arms around my torso. "Give me a kiss," pushing her lips forward a little, she awaited for me to meet them with mine. I chuckled and leaned down.

"Can I please know where my room is before I stab my eyes for witnessing this atrocity?"

Priya and I sprung apart, stopping a few feet away from each other. "The- the one on the right." She stammered.

"Bua! You should knock!" I reprimanded.

She clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth. "As if I wanted to see that. And keep your door closed before you traumatise anyone else. Ugh, it's good that I have a strong heart. I almost fainted." She shuddered, turning around and leaving while mumbling things under her breath.

I looked at Priya, opening my arms wider for her to come back. "So where were we, meri jaan?"

"In front of your Bua just now. Embarrassed and humiliated." She scoffed, storming out of the room.

My arms fell to my side. "How is that my fault?" I turned around to ask my reflection.

"Aditya, the Batras are here!"

I gasped, leaving the room hurriedly and stumbling into the living room. Vikram waved his fingers at me with a smile.

"Dude, I missed you!" I yanked him in my arms.

When we returned from Europe, Vikram had gone on a vacation to Jammu and Kashmir with his family. He told me over the phone that they decided to keep the baby. He was over the moon, hence the unplanned trip. It's more than a month I haven't seen him personally.

He chuckled, patting my back firmly before hugging me tighter. "How are you?"

"I'm fine. What about you?" I asked. "And Nisha bhabhi?" I looked around. "Where is she?"

"Your wife took her to show around the house. They decided to start with the kitchen. Women." He shook his head at the end.

I chuckled. "And Ashish?"

"Of course, he would tag along with his mother. Would a man be a father if he's not ignored by his own son?" He scoffed out a chuckle. "I wonder what is it Moms' got that has the sons attached to them 24/7. I hope the next one is a daughter." He sighed wistfully. "I'll spoil her to no ends. She'll be a daddy's girl."

"Yeah, I want to see you handle a girl too. One who's not Nisha bhabhi." I swung my arm around his shoulders.

"Show me the house now," he slapped me on the stomach with the back of his hand.

"At your command, sire," I bowed. "This way,"

Slowly the guests began to spill in. I had to receive most of them because Priya had gone to get ready. She joined me forty minutes later, looking absolutely ravishing in the ivory saree. Soon enough my family arrived, along with my Dadi. Only Bhai was missing. Dad said he couldn't come due to his busy schedule but has sent us a housewarming gift, which resided in the hands of Mom. I took it from her, along with the other things they brought. Priya suggested she take them to the kitchen but I shook my head. She has done enough running around since this morning.

I hadn't expected Mom to follow me with a few other things. I didn't see them earlier. Maybe Meghna had them with her. Dad said she was parking the car.

"You can keep them here," I pointed at the left counter.

She nodded, putting the things beside the other gifts.

"You didn't cook here anything yet, did you?" She asked me.

I shook my head.

"Good. Don't cook anything before the Vaastu Shanti Puja." She nodded.

I turned to leave.

"Adi,"

I halted but didn't turn around.

"Kaisa hai? (How are you?)"

I nodded wordlessly.

"Khush hai na?"

I nodded again.

"Aur Priya? (And Priya?)" That warmed my heart for some reason. Her remembering to ask about Priya too.

I nodded with a hum.

My body stiffened when I felt her step closer. "Ghar bahut khubsoorat hai tum dono ka. Mera Adi itna bada ho gaya pata bhi nahi chala. (Your house is so beautiful. I didn't even realise when my son grew up so much.)" She placed her hand on my shoulder. "But then again, it was my mistake. I was too busy in my first son's life that I never realised when my other kids grew up to become such responsible adults. Meghna got herself a job, you know? It's well paid too. Your father was so happy. He cried in front of me the same night. He was so proud she did it without his help." She chuckled, her voice heavy.

I nodded with a small smile. "I'm happy for her."

"And I'm happy for you." She sniffled. "Maybe I was not enough of a mother, but I'm a mother nonetheless. I may have failed to show it, but I loved you all three the same." She sighed. "I won't justify myself, don't worry. I don't want to burden you anymore. But don't forget to come to me whenever you need me. I know it's late, but I hope I haven't failed so much that you would never need me again." She rubbed my shoulder, walking past me to head back to the living room.

Dadi wheeled her chair inside just as she left. Snapping out of my thoughts, I rushed toward her immediately.

"Dadi, what are you doing here? Do you need something?" I knelt in front of her.

She stroked my hair with her frail hand. "Bada toh tu ho gaya hai. (You've really grown up now.)" She smiled. "Ab samajhdar bhi ho ja. (now become understanding too.)"

"I'm understanding."

"Toh apni maa ko kyun rulaya? (Then why make your mother cry?)" She retorted.

"Unhone pehle mujhe rulaya! (She made me cry first!)" I defended.

Dadi blinked, then shrugged. "Chalo, waise bhi usse rota dekh mere seene mein thandak si padti hai. (Fine, I feel at ease seeing her cry anyway.)"

I gasped. "Dadi!"

"But don't make her cry too much." She warned me.

"You just said you like to see her cry." I reminded teasingly.

"Woh toh mere seene mein thandak padti hai, mera beta toh mayus hota hai na. (It makes me feel at ease, but my son turns sad.)" She pouted.

I laughed, getting up and turning the wheelchair around before wheeling her out of the kitchen.

The priest arrived at three thirty. Priya and I took care of the final arrangements with Nisha Bhabhi and Preeti's help. The event lasted for more than two hours, proceeding which we requested the guests to head to the ground floor, in the society hall where the food was arranged buffet style. Once it all ended, we saw the guests off personally. Close family and friends stayed back, and we had the overdue lunch that we couldn't have while attending to the guests and their needs. Finally, everyone else left at around nine pm. I helped Dadi to her bedroom and put her to sleep before joining Neelam bua and Priya in cleaning around the house. Then we said final good nights at around eleven pm. We were exhausted by then.

Priya and I plopped down on the bed. I closed my eyes slowly, releasing a sigh of relief. Soon I felt Priya crawl closer to me, her arm draping across my torso.

"It was a tiring day,"

She hummed. "But it was fun."

"As if," I scoffed.

"We made so many sweet memories!" She raised her head from my chest, looking at me with a smile.

"Yeah, like dragging those heavy sacks of grains? Handling those little kids and making sure they didn't break anything? Or how about running around to serve guests because we were short on waiters?" I snorted.

"A little sour too, I guess." She shrugged.

I chuckled. "Sweet and sour, then?" I cocked a brow at her. "The whole thing. It was sweet and sour."

"But it was worth it," She smiled back.

"Totally."

- the end -

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

215K 14.3K 33
"Aditya what are you saying ?" I asked him with glossy eyes. Not believing at my ears what he said. No this can't happen he can't say this. "I am s...
8.8M 590K 75
An Arranged Marriage Story. #1 Hot (17-11-23) #1 Happyending (17-11-23) #2 Shy (13-11-23) #3 Cold hearted (27- 10- 23) POWER!!!!! That's what he alwa...
85.2K 4.6K 13
"𝐈 𝐰𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐝𝐨𝐞𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧 𝐈'𝐦 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐨𝐛𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐝" ⊹˚₊‧───────────────‧₊˚⊹ ...
72.3K 5.3K 85
✧It all started with a slap✧ ╰┈➤ 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒊 𝑺𝒆𝒉𝒈𝒂𝒍 She is beautiful, smart, and an introvert who has no problem putting others in their p...