Forget-Me-Not (Varian x Reade...

By CrazyCatTeen35

"𝑾𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒏'𝒕 𝒆𝒓𝒂𝒔𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 π’˜π’† 𝒄𝒂𝒏 π’”π’•π’Šπ’π’ π’˜π’“π’Šπ’•π’† 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒖𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆." Ev... More

Prolouge
Chapter 1- Rapunzel's Return
Chapter 2- The Coronation
Chapter 3- Lady Caine
Chapter 4- Visiting Varian
Chapter 5- The Best Day
Chapter 6- Science Expo
Chapter 7- The Snuggly Duckling
Chapter 8- Listen Up
Chapter 9- The Compass
Chapter 10- Queen Rapunzel
Chapter 11- Forever Winter
Chapter 12- Lost Time
Chapter 13- Black and White
Chapter 14- Shall We?
Chapter 15- Breaking Point
Chapter 16- Ready
Chapter 17- The Battle of Old Corona
Chapter 18- Battle Wounds
Chapter 19- A Good Heart
Chapter 20- Community Service
Chapter 21- Andrew
Chapter 22- Parties and Promises
Chapter 23- Ball Gown
Chapter 24- A Room of People
Chapter 25- The Wand of Oblivium
Chapter 26- Red Bandanna
Chapter 28- Angel
Chapter 29- Blue Betrayal
Chapter 30- More Than Just a Dream
Chapter 31- Let Me Make You Proud
Chapter 32- The Threat
Chapter 33- Captain Creighton
Chapter 34- Monster
Chapter 35- I'm Fine
Chapter 36- You and Me
Chapter 37- A Cinch
Chapter 38- Xavier's Legends
Chapter 39- The Pink Shell
Chapter 40- The Things We've Missed
Chapter 41- Nightmare
Chapter 42- The Plan
Chapter 43- Inherently Bad?
Chapter 44- The Truth Will Set You Free
Chapter 45- A Date with an Alchemist
Chapter 46- Hearts Apart
Chapter 47- When The Past Resurfaces
Chapter 48- The Girl Who Has Everything
Chapter 49- Cassandra's Return
Chapter 50- Shadows of the Moon
Chapter 51- Light of the Sun
Chapter 52- Floating
Chapter 53- Awaiting Alarms
Chapter 54- Captian Lance
Chapter 55- Project Obsidian
Chapter 56- The Gopher Grab
Chapter 57- Mistakes
Chapter 58- Safe and Sound
Chapter 59- Through It All
Chapter 60- The Tomb
Chapter 61- Hunted
Chapter 62- Gone
Chapter 63- What Once Was Mine
Chapter 64- Varian's Promise
Chapter 65- The Lost Realm
Chapter 66- Plus Est En Vous (Part I)
Chapter 67- Plus Est En Vous (Part II)
Chapter 68- Something That I Want
Chapter 69- The Garden
Epilogue
Behind the Scenes + Author's Note

Chapter 27- New Saporia

1.8K 62 59
By CrazyCatTeen35

:-:Six Months Later:-:

I fidget with Varian's bandanna while I wait for Xavier to return. It had become a nervous habit of mine because it reminded me of Varian whenever I touched it. The piece of fabric brought me a small sense of comfort, as though a little part of him was always with me.

A lot has changed in the past few months. For one, I had been living in Xavier's secret bunker underneath his blacksmith shop with the rest of the resistance ever since I had escaped the palace. It was a small group of Coronians who were brave enough to defy orders from the king: Xavier, uncle Monty, Ulf, Big Nose, and a few other stragglers, so they welcomed me with open arms. The resistance had become a second family to me.

The pub thugs had taken over Cassandra's role of training me in self-defense, and before long I had become a skilled fighter. Xavier was so proud of my progress that he made me a weapon of my own: a beautiful hand-carved bow and a leather quiver full of arrows. The bow was created from the strongest wood found in Corona, so it could not only shoot arrows but also block oncoming attacks from swords and other blades. I had even etched music notes into its surface, inspired by ruthless Ruth's club.

Xavier taught me how to properly aim and shoot. With him as my mentor, I not only became an archer, but I also came to see him as a good friend. I loved listening to his legends and stories around the fire late into the night, and he always had a way of raising my spirits when I was feeling down.

I hadn't seen Varian since he helped me escape a few months ago. I worry about him constantly; I knew the risks he was taking by working undercover for the Saporians.

Lately, every day is filled with worry. I worry for my parents, the resistance, Rapunzel, and most of all, Varian. The anxiety has taken over my body, and the longer the Saporians are in charge, the worse it gets. Each day gets harder; I've even begun to get panic attacks. I long for Varian's comforting embrace and Rapunzel's words of encouragement, but I can't reach either of them.

I look down at the bandana in my hands and pull my hair into a high ponytail, securing it with the piece of fabric.

After months of planning and hundreds of letters to Varian, our team had finally concluded that the only way to take our kingdom back was with Rapunzel. We were trying our best, but it's no secret that Rapunzel can rally people together better than anyone. The number of resistance fighters was small, but it was becoming even more so as people were ordered by the king to mine for crystals.
Ulf had volunteered to take a balloon and follow the rocks until he found Rapunzel, and he had already been gone a month. We were all worried sick about him, and his absence only added to my stress.

Only two things helped to calm my nerves. The first was the letters from Varian. The second was singing. My songs not only lifted my spirits, but they seemed to infuse the rest of the resistance with hope. It filled me with great pride to know that my musical talent could fill so many people with joy.

I catch myself softly humming and tapping my black boot on the stone floor in an attempt to keep a beat. I quickly stop so I don't wake the others. It was late into the night and I was the only one whose eyes were still open. I would normally try to get some sleep, but I couldn't seem to get my mind off of Varian and Xavier. Even though Ruddiger and Dandelion were the ones who carried letters back and forth, it was still a huge risk for Xavier to be out after dark. The Saporians had established a strict curfew to keep troublemakers off the street at night, and those who defied their orders were severely punished. I shudder at the thought of sweet Xavier, a man who was like a big soft marshmallow, getting thrown in a cold cell...or worse.

I try to take my mind off of the thought. Worrying wouldn't solve anything. I focus on the things around me. The only sound to be heard is the soft crackling of the fire that had begun to die out. A faint silvery light from the outside shined in through a small crack at the top of the wall. The pub thugs are lying in their hammocks sound asleep while letting out the occasional snore.

I jolt up as I hear a soft tapping noise come from the door. I dash up the old stone steps and meet Xavier at the door. The old man lets out a hearty chuckle when he sees me. "My, aren't you eager tonight, princess." He smiles at me. "I have a marvelous surprise for you."

"Is it a letter from Varian?" I quickly ask.

"Not exactly..." Xavier steps to the side, revealing someone I hadn't seen in over a year.

Tears well up in my eyes.

"Rapunzel?"

My sister's emerald green eyes light up when she sees me. "(Yn)?!" She quickly runs over to me and engulfs me in one of her signature bear hugs. "Oh, I missed you so much!! I'm so happy you're safe!!"

I smile in her arms. "I can't believe you're finally back! I-I-I...I thought you would never get home in time..." wet tears run down my cheeks.

"In time?" Rapunzel asks. "What do you mean?"

"Every day the Saporians grow stronger," Xavier explains, gently stroking his white beard. "But enough with the solemn news. The others will be excited to see you again!"

"The others?"

I take Rapunzel's hand and lead her down the steps and into the bunker. "C'mon!"

I quickly run to the pub thugs' hammocks and shake them awake. "Guys!! Wake up!!"

The men quickly jolt awake and topple out of their beds and into a heap on the floor. Big Nose groans. "I think you just broke my nose..."

Attila climbs off of the pile and sighs. "We really need a ladder." As he looks up he gasps and claps his hands together in excitement. "Princess! You're back!!"

"It is so so so good to see all of you!" Rapunzel laughs with joy as she hugs everyone. "Even you, Monty." She says with a smile.
Monty gives her a small smile in return.

"I knew those two would start to get along eventually!" Eugene says with a grin.

I smile up at the former thief. "Nice to have you back, Eugene."

He smirks. "Nice to be back, (nn)."

I glance around the room, remembering someone else that I wanted to see, but she was nowhere to be found. I fiddle with a strand of my hair. "Hey...where's Cass?"

Eugene stiffens and Lance's eyes grow wide as he watches the two of us. That's weird... I think to myself.

Eugene laughs loudly and puts his hands on his hips. His brown eyes dart around the room, looking at anything but me. "O-Oh! Xavier's saying something!" He quickly announces, already strutting over to meet with the others.

Well, that was odd... my mind begins to wander as I wonder why in the world Eugene was acting so...different.

Xavier clears his throat as he approaches the small campfire in the middle of the room. "We stay hidden. Everyone in Corona lives in fear, spending their days mining the Saporian's minerals."

Rapunzel frowns. "What? The people of Corona are so brave...why wouldn't they stand up?"

"They cannot defy orders from the king and queen. Any act of aggression against them is treason." Xavier grins. "Now that you have returned, the game has changed." The old blacksmith bows to Rapunzel, and the rest of the rebellion follows.

"We've been waiting for you, princess." Big Nose says.

"Me?" Rapunzel softly gasps.

"The only way we have any chance against the Saporians is with you."

I grin as I cross my arms. "We're right behind you sis."

:-:-:-:

My eyelids flutter open when I hear a soft rustling sound. I slowly sit up in my hammock and look around the dimly lit bunker. I notice the silhouette of someone rummaging through our supplies, and my heartbeat quickens.

I instinctively reach for my bow, and I silently make my way toward the mystery figure.
Upon closer inspection, I realize that the figure was Rapunzel. I exhale the breath I didn't know I was holding. "Raps? What in the name of Demanitus are you doing?" I ask in a hushed voice. "We should be asleep!"

Rapunzel's body jolts when she hears me. "Oh! (Yn)...how's it going?" She nervously asks.

I look at her with skepticism. "Why are you acting so weird?"

The blonde nervously chuckles. "Weird? Who said anything about weird? I'm not being weird...I'm just...getting a late-night snack!"

I raise an eyebrow and cross my arms over my chest. "You're sneaking out to take back the kingdom aren't you?"

Rapunzel laughs. "What?! Noooo..."

I don't say anything as I grab my quiver full of arrows and strap it around my torso. "I'm coming with you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

130K 2.9K 34
This is my take on the idea of a Varian spin-off series of Tangled: The Series/Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure. The AU was presented to Disney by storyb...
2.1K 132 18
What if, instead of kidnapping Princess Rapunzel, Mother Gothel had instead helped raise her alongside the King and Queen of Corona? What if Rapunzel...
181K 5K 111
We all know what happened to Varian in the first season of "Tangled: The Series." He became the villain, was defeated by Rapunzel, and thrown into pr...
1K 41 6
It was always just [Name] and Varian against the world. Best friends until the end of the lines. Despite the many disasters that come through their w...