Chapter 14- Shall We?

I quietly sneak through the bushes and approach the side of the castle.

Varian lets out a sigh from behind me. "Are you sure this is the most efficient way to get back into the castle?" He asks, pulling a leaf out of his hair.

"If we don't want to be noticed, yes." I slowly scan the mossy bricks of the palace until the one I'm looking for catches my eye. I point to a brick that has a Corona sun engraved in it, just like my mirror. "We're here."

"What are you talking about? Where's here?" Varian asks.

I only shake my head and smile. My fingers grasp the key around my neck and I carefully insert it into the keyhole in the brick.

Varian's eyes widen with wonder as a small passageway opens within the brick wall. "This is incredible!"

I begin to climb into the passage and gesture for Varian to follow me. Varian trips on his way in and falls to the ground with a loud 'thud'. I help him to his feet as the door to the passage closes, and the two of us are left in pitch-black. I hear the alchemist rummage through his back. "Hang on." He softly says. Suddenly, a green and purple glow illuminates the small tunnel.

My eyes light up and Varian winks at me. "The power of alchemy~" He dramatically says.

I giggle and Varian smiles. "Let's get going," I say, leading Varian down the hall.

After a little while of walking, we finally reach my bedroom successfully, and I exhale a sigh of relief. Dandelion's ears perk up when she sees me, and she happily hops over to welcome me home. I pick her up and snuggle her close to my chest. "Awe, I missed you too!"

Varian quickly shushes me. "We have to be quiet or else we'll get caught!" He whispers.

I nod, realizing he was right. "Right...sorry." I nervously chuckle. "Let's get going."

I carefully opened the door up a crack, just to make sure the coast was clear, and wave to signal that it was safe to exit the room. As we sneak through the empty halls, Varian chuckles to himself. "What's so funny?"

He smirks at me. "Those cookies are working better than I thought."

A dagger of guilt pierces into me. I try to push the feelings deep down inside. It's okay... I try to reassure myself. It's for the good of the kingdom...right?

Varian suddenly grabs my hand and pulls me into a small cleaning supply closet. "Varian? What are you-"

I'm cut off by Varian putting a finger to my lips. My breath hitches as I hear the loud stomping of guards walking by. I focus my attention on Varian's large blue eyes and feel a bit calm. As the footsteps begin to fade, the boy takes his finger off of my lips and nervously chuckles. "Sorry about that."

I smile. "It's okay."

I suddenly noticed that Varian's and my bodies were pushed together from the small size of the closet. Varian seemed to notice this too, as both of our faces turned bright red in sync. We both awkwardly reach for the doorknob and our foreheads bump into one another.

"Heh, sorry." I quickly pull my hand away. "After you."

Varian opens the door and we sneak out. I glance over to Varian, who's trying to hide his rosy cheeks, and smile a teeny bit.

He's so cute~

As we approach the room I was headed for, Varian frowns. "What are we doing here? The flower would most likely be in the royal vault and that's on the other side of the castle." He whispers.

"I know, I know. But if we don't want anyone to catch us, our only option is to sneak through the underground tunnels." I explain.

"So?" Varian looks at me with a confused expression.