Chapter 57- Mistakes

:-:Eight Years Ago:-:

Screaming, I jolt awake from my nightmare. My (ec) eyes dart around at my surroundings, and I sigh in relief when I see that I'm still in my bedroom. I think back to my nightmare and sit up in bed, clutching my knees to my torso. My heart pounds in my chest, and I clench my yellow nightgown in my small fists.

Suddenly, I hear a soft creaking noise and notice in the glistening of the moonlight the doorknob turning. My breath hitches.

As the door opens, I once again start screaming.

"Hey, hey, hey! (Nn), it's only me." I hear the familiar sound of Cassandra's voice enter my room, and I feel my body relax. "Are you okay?" She asks, walking across the floor to my bed.

"I had the nightmare again..." I softly admit as Cassandra sits on the edge of my bed, setting the candle she is holding beside her.

"The one where you get taken?"

I nod, hot tears welling up in my eyes.

Cass sighs a little bit. "(Yn), I've already told you that isn't possible. Nobody knows you exist, and you're in the most secure part of the castle. Even your windows have metal bars across them. Believe me when I say-" Suddenly, she glances over at me, and through the flickering light of the candle, sees the grip I have on my nightgown and the tears on my cheeks. Her gaze softens. "...I know how scary that dream is for you. You have every right to be afraid." She smiles at me a little bit and ruffles my hair. "But I'll keep you safe."

"Promise?" I meekly ask.

She nods. "Promise."

I grin, feeling reassured. Even though she's only a teenager, I feel genuinely safe when Cass is around. I've seen her practice sparring, standing up for me and herself, and I trust her. If anyone can protect me, it's her.

She stands up and prepares to leave, but I quickly stop her by grabbing the sleeve of her nightshirt. "Cass?"

She glances at me inquisitively. "Hmm?"

"C-Can you sleep with me tonight? I don't really want to be alone."

She lets out an exasperated sigh and stares at me with a mischievous smile, and I giggle, knowing that she is just messing with me. "Fine...I guess I can."

I cheer and scoot over to the left side of the bed, giving Cass the right side. She climbs on beside me and wiggles her legs under the (fc) covers. As she lays her head of newly cut black hair on the pillow, I snuggle close to her.

Even though I know Cass isn't my biological sister, she still feels like one to me. She is like the sister the universe gifted to me after Rapunzel was kidnapped.

She holds my little body in her arms and I look up at her with wide eyes. "Thank you, Cass."

A small grin spans across her lips. "Get some sleep, okay? I'm not going anywhere."

:-:Present Day:-:

"It's that time folks, the gopher grab is about to begin!!" The announcer projects to the courtyard of Coronians.

With the sun setting on the horizon, a golden glow fills the atmosphere, casting burning rays of light onto everything it can touch. I'm with Varian, helping him load vials of his amber solution onto a knapsack attached to the saddle of the horse he's about to mount.

"Varian, I really don't like this," I admit. The shame swells up inside of me as I nervously fidget with my (hc) hair. Deep down, I can't bear the thought of potentially hurting Cassandra, even if it was to protect our kingdom. Similarly to when Varian tried to bring his father back, I just couldn't find the strength within me to hurt a person I love. I just can't. "Cass is like a sister to me; I can't imagine hurting her or her hurting us."

Noticing the worry on my face, he gives me a reassuring smile. "Don't worry Angel. The amber is a last resort." He gently kisses my forehead. "I won't use it unless Cass puts someone in danger."

I give him a gentle nod, feeling a bit relieved. Suddenly, any relief I feel is banished when I hear a guard cry out, "CASSANDRA!!"

My heart stops as I frantically glance around the courtyard until I see Cassandra in all her moonstone glory, standing beside my sister. Varian and I reach for each other's hands instinctively and hold on tightly as though our lives depend on it. Screams echo throughout the courtyard as people flee or prepare to fight.

Guards quickly rush over to both me and Rapunzel, ready to defend us. "Wait! Stand down!" The future Queen orders.

The guards ignore her and continue running towards Cassandra, sabers pointed directly at her. With a flick of her hand, Cassandra causes several black rocks to rise from the ground and push the guards away. Varian and Eugene exchange a glance and nod. Varian quickly mounts his horse and pulls me up onto the saddle behind him. "Hold on tight, okay?" He instructs.

I lace my arms around his torso and hold his body close to mine. Once I'm secure, Varian snaps the reigns and we take off towards Cassandra and Rapunzel. By the time we reach them, Cass has taken out at least half the Royal Guard with her powers.

I see Rapunzel beside her, holding onto her wrist and pleading for her to stop. "It's not too late for us to make things right."

I quickly hop off the horse and approach Cassandra. "Cass, please don't do this," I beg.

Behind me, the remaining guards form a circle around us, Eugene at the back with Varian. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Varian kneeling down and propping up the amber bazooka on his shoulder, just in case. A look of worry and desperation is evident on his face.

Cassandra looks at us both with her cold, blue eyes. "I want to believe you, but-"

Suddenly I hear an explosion and a golden puff of smoke shoots through the air and towards Cassandra. My heart stops as yellow amber begins growing at Cassandra's feet.

My head snaps towards Varian, bewilderment in my eyes. "V-Varian?"

His rosy face is pale as he stares at the bazooka and then at my face. Eyes wide, he slowly shakes his head at me. I can tell from the despair in his gaze that whatever happened wasn't his fault...but it still breaks my heart nonetheless. I never wanted to lose Cass. Varian drops the bazooka to the ground and sprints over to me. He wraps his arms as tightly as he can around my body, and he gently strokes my hair as I begin to cry. "I'm sorry, Angel...I'm so so sorry. I-I don't know what happened...I had the safety on, I don't know h-how it went off."

I just snuggle into Varian's arms, feeling too devastated to say anything. I don't hold anything against my boyfriend, but it doesn't stop the pain from coming.

I turn back to Cassandra whose frozen fear-filled face is trapped in amber.

"No!" Rapunzel cries. "I said we didn't need to attack her!"

"I don't know what happened!" Varian explains. "It must have malfunctioned." The setting sun shines in his eyes, only amplifying the regret in them.

Suddenly, a low cracking noise erupts from the amber. Everyone slowly turns their bodies to face Cassandra. Within seconds, the amber shatters, and Cassandra breaks out with the help of the black rocks.

"Oh no..."

"Project Obsidian, huh?" Cassandra asks. While on the surface she looks furious, I can also see the genuine hurt in her gaze. "Zhan Tiri was right."

"It's not like that, Cass!" I quickly try to explain.

"Cassandra—"

Cassandra cuts my sister off. "You want me to be the bad guy? Fine. Now I'm the bad guy." She whispers the last part as she pulls a vial out of her satchel.

"Cassandra, no!!"

Cass smashes the vial to the cobblestone ground and a blue puff of smoke emits from it. Suddenly, I'm overcome by a wave of drowsiness. I glance over at Rapunzel, who is also near Cassandra, and she too is becoming weary.

Before I can think or do anything else, I collapse to the ground and sleep overtakes me.