Damnation Of Devotion ✔

By LadyInLostYearn

"I would've prayed for Them to go easy on you too." He moves and his eyes are on me, eyes where they are brim... More

Introduction
1: Another Halfwit
2: Scaring People When I Have A Mood
3: Saw No Blood But Heck, Check
4: Unchanging With Constant Changes
5: Turn Myself Into A Durian
6: An Extraterrestrial Microbe
7: Pretty Sounds Again
8: Grounded In The Blur Of Time
9: Start Knitting While We Wait
10: Bleed Out The Guts Of Earth
11: Step On A Deer's Shit
12: Beauty In My Ramblings
13: We're Both Impossible To Exist
14: Matchmade With French Girls
15: Damn Penguins
16: Elements Eat Them
17: Mind Must Be A Black Hole
18: Screaming Into The Night
19: Sliding Down The Corridor
20: The Sun Awakes
21: Exorcizing Vigilant Superhumans
22: A Childhood Home
23: Stabbing Your Husband
24: Kill My Tongue
26: Fighting Over A Cookbook
27: Ginger Tea And Biscuits
28: End Of The World
29: Memory Of Love's Refrain
30: Epilogue
Author's Afterword
Spectacle & Stickers

25: Wannabe Player

27 7 0
By LadyInLostYearn

{ KI }

"Babe, where are you?"

"In front of the airport gate. I thought you'd be here, Ki."

"Bought some snacks, just beside the place!"

Aht snorts. "I'll wait here like a good boy then."

I giggle at his sweetness and end our call. Right, let's double-check here... Chocolate bars, bags of chips, and strawberry Pockys—his favorite. I approach the waiting area and see he's watching everyone tersely. In return, people avoid him with caution. His hair flowing over his shoulders and he wears all black clothes. A contrast to mine, where my hair is done in twin French braids and I'm dressed up in white.

When he looks like this... This handsome, abrasive— Mmm we're too hurry for sex for now.

"You look like a thug if you keep frowning, my dear."

"Judging how heated you look, no complaints from me," he says with a deep whisper.

We kiss... almost R-rated but stop ourselves before we get arrested. While we're waiting and snacking, we debate about the right color for our house. Later, he grabs my hand and our bags to board our plane.

Last month's case was the last mission before the break, a rest for a decade like before. Have to push aside our guilt for not solving more about trafficking, scams, entrapments, and many of them. Every time we solve crimes, another one pops up. An endless cycle. We don't want to be burned out and resent for being helpful. Authorities have to get their shit together and not rely on us for everything.

So, Honolulu for a vacation and renewing our documents is a huge relief. The Shcherbakov family has been there for a while to expand their business.

Can't help but feel freaking ecstatic!

____________________

{ AHT }

"We're lost."

"Eh?" Ki's soft voice twists with agitation.

I sigh. "I think they checked out and moved to another hotel. Changed their numbers too. Perhaps they were almost busted and forgot to update us."

"Damn it... How about we check in first? We'll find them. They can't be too far."

"This island's big."

"Mind you, a lot of family members tag along and they are cheapskates to spend multiple rides."

"Got a point," I snigger. "Come on, we become explorers today."

After a check-in, we walk around and ask the locals about a loud Russian family. Many have seen them but don't know where they are. With sweat on our backs, we've decided to take a rest.

I think we look desperate enough because a young lady comes up to us when we sit down for lunch in a restaurant. I can see she's a Native Hawaiian by appearance and how at ease she is.

"Aloha," I greet first.

The lady instantly guards up due to my abruptness. My lovely Ki smiles at her and she relaxes. Haih... "Aloha." The lady perks up. "Word spread that you are looking for a Russian family?"

"Shcherbakov. Sorry about our ruckus..."

"No no! I just want to help you two."

"You know where they are?"

"I don't, but I know another family who knows everyone in the area. They've been here for three months and the wife is friendly. Mayor-level friendly."

"The husband isn't?" Ki inquires.

"They are here for some project, so the husband's often on the phone. Didn't talk with us much. The son, though, phew!"

What does she mean by it? "Bad phew or good phew?"

"Pretty bad." She grins with a grimace. "He doesn't like it here, brooding and fighting with his parents. Too flirtatious for a high schooler as well."

"Okay..." Very outgoing, isn't she? I ask, "Where are they?"

"It's a must for them to eat dinner at Eleu's every night."

"We know where that is, thank you. What surname?"

"Tanquary. Good luck on your journey!" And she walks out of the restaurant with academic books in her arms. Marketing. Seems she's a college student.

Ki asks loudly, "Thank you very much, miss—?"

"Nohealani!"

____________________

It was around eight p.m. when a black family entered Eleu's and a commotion between mother and son followed suit. It's telling that they're Tanquarys. Ki and I ate dinner first, comfortably so after I glared at other customers because they were staring at us.

There is a family near our table. Small children spar each other with spoons, cackling and dodging attacks. Must be nice... Our child would've sparred with a knife instead. A butter knife since Ki will worry. I take a glimpse at Ki who is staring at the scene too.

How I wish we could...

I take in a ragged breath and move my focus on Tanquarys. Oh bother. The son will be a duck with all that pouting.

The mother says, "Seb, don't you get tired of sulking? For months?"

"What I'm tired of is here, Mom." His eyes roll.

"Gerome, your son—"

"Sorry, honey. Just a sec." The husband continues to talk on his phone.

She clicks her tongue. "Your girlfriends can wait, Sebby."

"Don't call me that!" The boy slams his hand on their table. "I'm an adult. What if they don't?"

"Don't play around anymore, Seb! You're almost eighteen, act like it."

My beloved leans towards me and whispers, "My fire, is this the right time?"

"One thing I learnt about time was that it's never been right," I grumble.

"Mm... I don't want people to be angry at you."

"I know, sweetheart... The thing is, people are always provoked by me, even when I'm doing nothing. I'll go talk, okay?"

She squeezes my hands and mouths good luck. I look over to the family. Mother and son are bickering and receiving stares from other customers. Yeah, I need lots of it.

I stand up, stride up to them, and clear my throat. The family looks up at me, pretty much in awe from what I can tell.

I bow a tad. "Hello."

"You're fucking big, bro. Did you eat a whale?" Little Seb smugly scoffs.

"Seb! I'm sorry for my son," his mother apologises.

I shrug. "Ah well... Your son ain't creative for saying that."

Seb blinks. "Excuse me?"

"You're excused." I turn to her. "What's your name, ma'am?"

I hear Ki's high-pitched giggles muffled behind her palm. He shuts up while his ever-caring father finally takes notice of what is going on.

The mother smiles in exhaustion. "My name's Joanne. Nice to meet you, young man." Poor woman... Have to handle these two. In public as well.

"Likewise."

"Mom!" Seb whines. "Didn't you see how he treated me?"

"You don't have a say when you're a brat to a woman who birthed you after nine months of hassle."

The sperm donor shuts down his phone. "Who are you to talk to our son like that?" Pfft. Where was this protectiveness when it came to his wife?

"Certainly not an absent husband."

The man shoots up from his seat, finger-pointing at me. "You will get—!"

"Don't mind him, he throws empty threats all the time," Joanne laughs as she pulls her husband down. "What can I help you with?"

"My wife"—I gesture at Ki and she waves at us—"and I are looking for Shcherbakovs. Have you seen them?"

"They stay at a chalet! At the end of this street to the east."

"Thank you, Joanne. I appreciate it."

Seb comments, "Damn weirdo."

"Grow up," Ki retorts. I whirl around and see her jaw flexes. "Your mother had to deal with your attitude, her husband's, and the world. Learn a thing or two from her, instead of being a player wannabe."

I glance around the hushed restaurant. Maybe they hadn't seen a quiet woman admonish someone out loud before. Luckily, it seems the kid has some shame left. Ki thanks Joanne and we take our leave.

I feel a bit guilty about embarrassing a teen in public, but we hate when people are being noisy and rude for attention. Although when Ki became defensive for me...

"Hot."

She lets out a thunderous laugh and drags me farther into the street. "Let's go to our room then."

"What about our documents?"

"Tomorrow morning. I want to take my time with you, it's been too long." She flashes a rousing grin.

Her smile makes me smile. "We did it on the plane," I tease.

"Like I said. Too long."

Can't wait to get my hands on her... We pace through the well-lit streets, hand in hand.

Her smile. I just notice it.

Her eyes crinkle at the corners.

That never happened before.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.4K 1.2K 85
"Look at you, completely at our mercy," Kade sneered. "How does it feel knowing that someone else holds the power, witch?" Kieran added making them l...
109K 3.1K 109
"What is this" he asks, his voice is calm, but his expressions is anything but that. There were multiple gasps in the room, when he suddenly flings...
10.1K 2.1K 50
In a world where creatures of myth and legend walk amongst mortals, Celandine navigates the precarious balance between the mundane and the magical. A...
3.3M 108K 43
Elanor belongs to the Moon Mist pack and is happy going to school, anxiously waiting for her 18th birthday when she'll be able to finally turn into h...