Damnation Of Devotion ✔

By LadyInLostYearn

"I would've prayed for Them to go easy on you too." He moves and his eyes are on me, eyes where they are brim... More

Introduction
1: Another Halfwit
2: Scaring People When I Have A Mood
3: Saw No Blood But Heck, Check
4: Unchanging With Constant Changes
5: Turn Myself Into A Durian
6: An Extraterrestrial Microbe
7: Pretty Sounds Again
8: Grounded In The Blur Of Time
9: Start Knitting While We Wait
10: Bleed Out The Guts Of Earth
11: Step On A Deer's Shit
12: Beauty In My Ramblings
13: We're Both Impossible To Exist
14: Matchmade With French Girls
15: Damn Penguins
16: Elements Eat Them
17: Mind Must Be A Black Hole
18: Screaming Into The Night
19: Sliding Down The Corridor
20: The Sun Awakes
21: Exorcizing Vigilant Superhumans
22: A Childhood Home
23: Stabbing Your Husband
25: Wannabe Player
26: Fighting Over A Cookbook
27: Ginger Tea And Biscuits
28: End Of The World
29: Memory Of Love's Refrain
30: Epilogue
Author's Afterword
Spectacle & Stickers

24: Kill My Tongue

24 7 0
By LadyInLostYearn

{ KI }

When the door rings, I order, "Jenna, as usual, please?"

The heavy-eyed waitress smirks. "Orange pancakes and tea, coming right up."

"Thanks, dear."

Walking down the aisle, I catch sight of my dashing lover sitting near the diner's window at three a.m. With a fishtail braid and donning a leather jacket and pants that suit him so well, he watches me all this time, smiling softly. His fingers keep spinning a quarter on our table. His sparkling eyes are almost closed from joy...

The Forties.

The Fifties.

The Sixties.

The Seventies.

The Eighties.

Now, in the Nineties.

More than fifty years of hardships, adventures, and love with him. I'd bet our love doesn't change over time like our usual nature, but it did.

It's stronger than ever and I didn't know it was possible. Not all are roses and rainbows; there are disagreements at times. But by the end of the day, Aht and I understand each other like the back of our hands, and we don't even need reading gifts.

Right after I put my bag onto his, I sit beside him and his arm wraps around my waist close against his when he kisses my cheek. His wandering hand goes up my thigh under the knee-length emerald sundress...

"Wait. My fire, you haven't eaten yet?"

"I want to wait for you."

"I told you I'd be late."

"So?"

I sigh and give him kisses. Such an impatient man who doesn't wait or standby for anything except when it comes to me.

"Have you at least ordered?" I tug his braid.

"I did. Asked Jenna for it to be at the same time as yours."

"Good."

"Anyway, how did it go?"

I groan. He laughs.

For a month we've been here in the US, whenever we have to interrogate anyone involved, we are doing a 'bad cop good cop'. You can guess who is the good and the bad. Aht terrifies them, leaves, and I come in to question them for an hour or so while Aht waits here. It works. A routine.

Tonight, however, the good cop didn't take shit and became bad. The asshole is an irritant.

"He is a splinter who won't budge."

"Aih... That bad?" His smile falters. "He's still alive?"

"Halfway dead."

"Leave it to me then."

"Make it worse."

His head turns to me a little, even though he focuses on the spinning coin under his hovering fingers as the other settles heavily on my thigh. He knows I'm not for gratuitous violence.

"...He was abhorrent?"

"Hm."

He slams the quarter on the table, startling the employees. "Haish."

I'm trying not to clench my teeth. Others resume their jobs. "Threatened me that he'll do something violent to you. I showed my face to him."

He chuckles dryly. "There's the jaw thing I love. Death sentence it is."

He kisses me... with tongue to ease my jaw. Aggh firing me up with his tease. I chase his lips after, pulling a devious grin out of him. A little daze tickles my brain. Then, our pancakes and coffees arrive.

"We eat first." His fist clenches on my skirt.

"How can you eat while angry?"

"Need extra energy for execution." He flashes a weak smile. "By the way, how many books you have to return, Ki?"

"Why must you ask?" I shove a piece of pancake into my mouth... This is damn good. I moan quietly, eating more.

He thumbs up at Ms. Moreno, who stands near the counter, and laughs, "Good stuff, miss!" She waves it off with a sleepy smile. He continues, "We'll take a break, remember?"

"I haven't finished them all yet." My lips purse. "Tomorrow."

He kisses my cheek... "See if our local library has the subjects you want. I want to read too." Warmth washes over me.

"Alright... Oh! Do you know what I learned today?" His back straightens up and he leans closer, wide-eyed. I lean in and tell him, "A Russian cosmonaut, Aleksandr Serebrov, was the first to play a video game in space."

His brows shoot up. "You're kidding me. Which console?"

"Game Boy."

"Cool bastard."

"He only played Tetris."

"Tetris is cool!"

"But just Tetris??"

We joke around during our meal and after. But when we walk down the empty street and round the diner, unease hangs on my shoulders. Even Aht isn't able to lighten up about this one, and he's pretty cagey. This case has been dragging out for too long. While killing the man will make it easier for us, this doesn't mean we like it.

The hard, plastic masks in our bags jostle, creating muffled scritches.

At first, clothed masks. Until many people wondered about the vigilantes who have scared plenty of criminals to life sentences. Called us killer giants. I was not fond of it. So, I started a rumor by wearing a raven mask and him wearing a snake mask. We are the Giant Raven and Giant Serpent now—we got a kick out of that one.

It's sweet when Aht compares me to a raven that helped me a lifetime ago...

To loosen him up, I ask, "Do we have the right tools? Can we buy them, my dear?"

He giggles, gentle. "Your humour can be too much for some."

"I don't care since you love it."

One look from him shows me he loves more than just that. I give his cute nose a peck.

The abandoned building appears in our view. We found this place behind the diner. Easy to do interrogations. Entering it, we carefully avoid scattered piles of trash. I enter the room first, where a bleeding, tied-up man on a chair is in the middle of it. A cloth, an extra chair, and old pipe rods at the corner.

"I'm surprised you're awake." In this case, I didn't resort to physical violence against the men before him, but when this creep told me about his plans for Aht, I lost my cool and beat him with a pipe. Not really proud of it.

"That disgusted ruse didn't make you stay away from me, heh?" the man spits. "I know you can't resist me. You need a good fuckin'."

Bile surges up to my throat. He won't get me angry. Not visibly. I flex my jaw, restraining curses. Aht behind me holds the doorknob tighter.

"You're tiny, though, compared to me. A maggot," I remark.

"You bit—!"

"You what?" Aht chimes in.

When Aht's ferocious expression and languid movements enter through the door, the lowlife scrambles back and falls on his side.

"Yo-you came??"

"Of course, he's my husband after all. Told him aaaall about your lines," I sneer.

My fire hisses, "Let's go at it again, shall we?"

"No, no! Please!" the man cries.

Aht carries the back of the chair with one hand, lifts the man, and slams him down. Its legs are on the verge of shattering. "The repulsive harassment towards my wife doesn't help your case, man."

"Sh-she was the one who came on to me. Said I'd help her out if you get—"

{ AHT }

I almost punch him senselessly before I see Ki has this coldness. "You're a dead, humiliated man."

"I'm telling you, I didn't—!"

"No. She is the one who you should worry about."

"Wh-what??"

Gagging him with a cloth from the floor, I then pull up a chair, face him on my seat, and smile with my utmost charm. Huh, he's more scared. Maybe because I'm grinding my teeth.

I glance at Ki. She is staring at me. I say, "Whatever punishment you choose, I shall carry the deed. As always, my love."

She hums. Her eyes flick over to the pipe rods. I head over to them and question her wordlessly. Her chin jerks at the medium-sized rod, around the size of two fingers. Take it and I return to my seat. The poop stain struggles.

"Stab?" I ask.

She tilts her head. "No."

"Stab slowly?"

"Aht!"

"Ki!"

Her eyes laugh but the rest remain stoic. That's good, no more coldness. The man isn't worthy to receive her rarest type of defence. He must've really angered her, she even beat him up with a pipe. She has way classier methods of hurting.

"Roll his fingers."

"Brilliant!"

"Flatterer." Her lips curl up a tad.

I lay the pipe on the back of his hand horizontally, specifically on the back of his fingers. Watching him, I tell, "Since you made her angry and I don't like her being angry, your four digits get to be gymnasts." I look at her. "What do you say, Ki? Let's teach them."

"Gladly. Beginners first."

I push his fingers upward. No big reaction. "Intermediate?"

"Yes."

Push more, curl them backwards, and press down the rod. He's panting but playing it cool... Wrath sneaks up on me and Ki senses it.

"Push them to world-class." She scowls.

I instantly slam his curled fingers onto the smooth rod. He screams like a madman and struggles against the bounds as one. Grabbing his tearful face, I get real close to him. "WHERE ARE THEY!!??" My roar shakes from anger.

I pull down the cloth and he sputters nonsense words.

"SPEAK UP," she barks.

He whimpers, "Please, I'll be good if—!

"If. Wrong answer, pal," I growl.

I squeeze his fingers flat to bloody pulps. His blood-curdling scream does nothing to us. We both remember what we came here for.

"Have mercy—!!"

"You didn't give mercy on them. Where the fuck are they!?" I snap.

"A dozen— A dozen blocks away from here. North from here—"

"Specific!"

"Basement under the old Deckin's workshop!" He has the gall to be outraged. "Let me the fuck out—!"

"Thanks." She takes the rod and stabs it between his collarbones, and he cries out.

I gag him. "Verdict?"

"Let him bleed to death," she says, gritting her teeth.

The ick from killing humans remains embedded in us, so we don't spare him a glance when she leads me out of the room, out of the building, and washes our hands together with pipe water outside.

"He seriously pissed you off, Ki."

"His details were horrid."

"It always has been. The victims—"

"About you."

"...I see."

She kisses my temple when we walk together down the silent streets.

She's so protective–not that I mind. At times, her sudden wrath for my sake shows I am truly loved. I just hope it doesn't have to be this way. It isn't good for her emotional state, but she is getting better at letting it flow and not stomping her negative emotions. Well, most of the time.

We're damn protective of each other. Theo's observation about certain people who want us or kill us struck true. With fewer global conflicts to distract them, they noticed us more. No matter how hard we hide our auras, slivers of them leak out and invite trouble. Somehow, dealing with wild spirits is slightly manageable than this... kind of humans.

Resulted in my Ki being quieter and me being pricklier. For her end, it's a relief. She knows her judgement from years of practice is reliable and won't ask for input from humans anymore unless necessary. She remains amiable in public but talkative around our closed ones. For my end, she's saddened. Witnessed many people misjudged me and missed out on my warmth, to which I reassured her plenty of times that only people who are worth it will receive my warmth—and ramblings. I prefer giving mine to her anyway. Don't get me wrong, I've met good people along the way, albeit not as much.

Besides, taunting idiots is my favourite pastime.

"Over here." She steers me to the alley. "What happened to Deckin's by the way?"

"The owner died decades ago. A car accident."

"Funny."

"Don't laugh on the dead Deckin dude now." Yeah, it was a workshop for cars. 

"I dare you to tongue-twist them."

"Are you trying to kill my tongue, love?"

Ki sends a message to the police about this place, types out threatening ones, and tosses the burner phone away.

We break into the ancient lot and look around. Messy. Farther to the back, there's a clean door hatch on the floor. Ki and I share a look.

We put on our masks.

We descend.

{ KI }

It's a long way down. When my Aht hops off the ladder, I turn to a locked door. Digital one. The smell here.... is repugnant.

I get into it. The lock is a bit complex but I can do it. The door unlocks and we enter.

....

So many of them. Too many.

Hundreds of women and children and dozens of men are crammed in this room. As if overflowing livestock.

It's hard to breathe in here. I don't want to register on what state they're in. Conditions that made them barely conscious.

I look at Aht... He's as tired as me, glancing everywhere with glassy eyes. All the killing and saving, it's exhausting. We aren't desensitized, mind you. The opposite is our consistent problem. Twenty-one years ago, I had just stopped throwing up and he had stopped clawing his skin whenever we witnessed this type of situation.

"Last one for now."

"Yeah, you're right." He rubs his wrists and paces to the nearest victim, crouching at his level. "Hello."

The victim—! He scurries back and whimpers, afraid of Aht. Look up at me and he is close to a silent scream. My fire and I quickly open our masks.

Aht holds up his palms. "Hey... We're not monsters. Your captors are killed. Are you able to talk?" His voice shifts into a warm whisper. A feel of sanctuary...

The man moves his head a bit.

"Any sign is fine. I want to ask if any of you can climb up the ladder and meet the police later."

The man croaks out, "Why... Can't... You?" His voice is thick.

I massage Aht's nape and he leans against my leg.

"We have to leave before the police get here. We're only here to guide them to you." Aht shakes his head. "But all of you are incapacitated. Stupid question really."

"Stay?" I ask.

"Have to. Or the police won't even bother checking out if there is no one to prod them."

Before we leave, the man seems anxious and his huge eyes are highlighted in the sunken sockets.

"...Don't... Leave... Us."

"We won't. We will stay upstairs and leave this door open," I reassure.

He calms down and we make our move, wearing our masks on.

___________________

"If you did your job thoroughly, there wouldn't be so many of them." Aht rolls his eyes.

"We did. It's not our fault that the leads—"

"The leads were so obvious and you let those suspects go. At least try to hide that you accepted their bribes. Yeah, we know what you did, you sick fuck."

The incoming chief officer is behind this cop, glaring at his head.

"What others don't know won't hurt them." The cop crosses his arms. "You two should stop playing childish heroes from comic books and turn yourselves in. Nothing but self-righteous ruffians."

And this is why we often ran away from the police after we informed them. Ingrates.

"Officer Dallas," his chief addresses. The cop goes white as a sheet, slowly turning to the fuming chief. "Start talking."

Aht and I take our leave and walk through lines of several parked ambulances and firetrucks that are tending to numerous victims. City dwellers crowd the area, nosing. They get excited when they see us, the Giant Raven and the Giant Serpent. I hope the victims are alright with this public noise.

One of them touches my hand. The man we talked to before. He looks a little better, but his eyes show clear anguish. I peer to see his face since his unkempt dreadlocks are over it. "Are you fine now?"

"No... but..." he sobs but then grits his teeth. "Thank you both. Thank... you so much."

Even after years of saving people, Aht and I aren't used to thanks. Awkward, to be honest. Hearing the man speak clearly, I detect his accent has a Nigerian note. Red poppies, he came from a long way.

"No need to thank," Aht speaks with gentleness. "Where is your family?"

"Backpacking here alone... They're in Melbourne."

"You'll be taken care of by the hospital, I made sure of it. Appreciate if you didn't tell—"

"About your faces?"

I answer, "...Yes."

"What faces?" The man flashes a faint smile.

Aht and I wave him goodbye. Walking away, we overhear the chief officer's words are laced with panic behind our backs.

"Mr. Victor Bello. I am deeply sorry for my subordinate's—"

"I demand... that he's brought into investigation."

"Consider it done."

I whisper to Aht, "Is the man rich? The chief is very agitated..."

"Can't say." Aht frowns. "The Melbourne man has a pretty surname by the way."

"A nice ring to it."

We scale up a building behind the crime scene, onto the roof, and earn screams of excitement from dwellers below. Aht and I run off into the dark morning, needing a long rest. A break from that crowd.

Remain disappointed that humans are inconsiderate half of the time.

____________________

My nerves are on edge.

When our hotel window was knocked by someone at dawn, I felt an immense higher spirit's aura. Aht was alarmed and rushed to the window from our bed, ready to fight.

Although he's chatting happily with this person in the kitchen now. The person seems very, very ancient-looking and slouches in his white robe. While I sense no malice in his aura and he is friendly towards me, I'm quite rattled. I hadn't sensed a higher spirit aura for two decades. It's a lot.

He then bids farewell to Aht and me, grinning ear to ear and vanishing into sunrise outside the window. Aht releases a long exhale as my arm rests on the window jamb.

"Old friend, Aht?"

"Several millennia," he scoffs. "Meet once in every century kind of old."

"Wow."

"Yep. He found out yesterday that I was banished."

"He needs to keep up with the times," I tell with mirth.

Aht guffaws. "He isn't into meetings and keeps travelling around the globe. I cut him some slack."

"He can get away from meetings??"

"Esj wouldn't dare to argue with him. He is stubborn to a fault, he didn't even do a cleansing when his river clogged up with a lot of gunk. Up until the Meiji Restoration."

"What made him change his mind?"

His grin turns doleful. "Humans polluted it too much. He couldn't shapeshift."

His friend must had been suffering... I saunter to him and tuck his locks behind ear. "Did he get help or by himself?"

A grin returns to his lips. "One girl started it all and roped in every spirit in the bathhouse to help her. She's a human actually."

"Yeah?"

"And married to a spirit-turned-human." ...I blink at him and he nods, fast. Hugging me and nuzzling his face under my breasts, he tells me, "Her long-lost childhood friend. They met again years later when he escaped. How crazy is that?"

I smile lopsidedly and rest my lips on his crown. "Not that crazy."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

311K 14.3K 59
မင်းကိုပိုင်ဆိုင်ခွင့်နဲ့ပတ်သပ်လာရင် ကံကြမ္မာကိုတောင်စိန်ခေါ်ပစ်မယ်ငယ်ငယ် မင္းကိုပိုင္ဆိုင္ခြင့္နဲ႕ပတ္သပ္လာရင္ ကံၾကမၼာကိုေတာင္စိန္ေခၚပစ္မယ္ငယ္ငယ္
10.3K 418 31
With every werewolf, there is darkness inside them all. The more anger you have in your heart, the more the darkness can overcome you and the more pe...
1.9K 171 22
Arthur Robinson is a twenty four year old researcher who ventures into a dangerous forest where the local townspeople usually dare not to go. While i...
96.9K 3K 17
#3 in short story! 3/29/2019 #34 on Royals! 8/20/2019 #8 on heartfelt! I was walking to the grocery store when I thought some one was following me ...