The Bird and the Garden 2: Re...

By SecretMinty

The second book of The Bird and the Garden, taking place after the Good Ending. With Y/N and Vao's lives havi... More

Chapter 1: New Beginnings
Chapter 2: It Lives
Chapter 3: Beacon
Chapter 4: The Initiation
Character Introductions
Chapter 5: A New Life
Chapter 6: Class
Chapter 7: Shadows Creep
Chapter 8: It Begins
Chapter 9: The Murder
Chapter 10: Revelation
Chapter 11: Recovery
Chapter 12: Upcoming Events
Chapter 13: The School Dance
Chapter 14: The Club
Chapter 15: Forbidden Knowledge
Chapter 16: Verde's Secret
Chapter 17: There Will Be Bloodshed
Chapter 18: Kill
Chapter 19: Uncovered Truths
Chapter 20: The Beginning
Chapter 21: Innsmaw
Chapter 22: Insanity
Chapter 23: Vytal Festival
Chapter 24: Paradise
Chapter 25: Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 26: Vao Versus Ruby
Chapter 27: Nightmares
Chapter 29: Withdrawn
Chapter 30: Escape
Chapter 31: Making a Mistake
Chapter 32: Hell
Chapter 33: Everything is Wrong
Chapter 34: Fugitives
Chapter 35: Interview
Chapter 36: Vale News Department
Chapter 37: Lisa Lavender
Chapter 38: Sasha, Part One
Chapter 39: Sasha, Part Two
Chapter 40: Questions
Chapter 41: Memories
Chapter 42: The Training, Part One
Chapter 43: The Training, Part Two
Chapter 44: War on Vale
Chapter 45: Salem, Part One
Chapter 46: Salem, Part Two
Chapter 47: Salem, Part Three
Chapter 48: Evil's Reality
Scrapped Ideas
Epilogue: Don't Leave Me

Chapter 28: Rain Over Innsmaw

92 4 2
By SecretMinty

She was met with silence. That didn't sit well with her. Raven pulled her lips back, exposing her teeth. "Did I stutter?"

"Y-you... What?" Yang stammered. Raven shot her a glare.

"I want in on your little mafia. They're the ones helping you track Salem, right?" She asked. "There's no other way you would have known Ruby was in the industrial district. Not even the Hunters looking for her knew." She stepped up to Y/N's seat, slamming her hands down and leaning dangerously close to his face.

"That little bitch killed my kid. You've been looking for Salem through Junior and his boys, right? I want in. I'm not asking, I'm telling you," she hissed harshly. Y/N knew better than to say anything against it. And besides, having a trained Huntress on their side was bound to be helpful. Raven stared at him intensely, awaiting his response. And finally, with a deep breath Y/N nodded.

"O-okay... We were going to head to the Club tonight, a-and start making plans to go back to Innsmaw," he explained. Raven smiled, ruffling his short blonde hair.

"See, not so hard to work together, is it?" She growled. She stood up, motioning for them to do the same. "Then what are we waiting for? All of you get to the parking lot; I'll be down in a minute." As her students filed out the door, Raven turned to her desk, fishing out another bottle of whiskey. She almost jumped when she heard Verde clear her throat. The artist had stayed behind. The Huntress groaned. "I told you to wait for me in the parking lot."

"I am aware," Verde answered. "However, I had a question."

"What do you want, kid?"

Verde pointed at Raven's bottle, her face as still as stone. "... May I try some of that?"

Raven stared at her for a moment, unsure of what to even say to that. Knowing Verde's past, she was the last person Raven would have expected to ask that question. She arched an eyebrow. "Why? Didn't you make Vao stop drinking?"

Verde nodded quietly. "... I did. But... I wanted to try it. I even brought something to carry it in." She reached into her pocket, fishing out a small silver tin. Raven felt her breath catch in her throat.

It was Vao's flask, long unused. His name was poorly scratched into the side, blemishing the silver casing. Verde held it out. "... Please, Ms. Branwen."

Raven caved, snatching the flask away and filling it to the brim, tossing it back. "... Drinking ain't the answer, kiddo."

Verde nodded again, staring at the flask in silence. She felt like a hypocrite. But even still, she lifted the tin to her lips, letting the liquid slide down her tongue. She didn't understand why Vao liked alcohol so much. It was bitter, burned her throat, and didn't taste very good. But it did make her feel a bit warmer than before. Raven looked at the closed door before sighing, pulling a chair and sitting down. "Take a seat."

"Why?"

"Because I said so."

Verde obeyed, pulling her own chair before sitting down. She winced as she took another sip from the flask, letting the tin fall back to her lap. Raven crossed her arms and legs, locking eyes with the artist. "... You're taking it pretty hard, huh?" She asked softly. Verde didn't respond, waiting for the teacher to finish her sentence. "... Yet you never cry. Never take a break. You just... Sit there, with that blank slate of a face."

Verde didn't answer again. She just stared at her lap, at Vao's old flask. Raven sighed quietly, closing her eyes. "... It hurts... Doesn't it?"

"... Yes."

Raven hummed softly, nodding her head. "I can tell. Even if you don't express yourself, it's in your eyes. The monotonous drone of you voice. He... Was the reason you felt like you could express yourself, right? That you could smile, without a care in the world. He was... Your first friend. Am I correct?"

Verde could feel her chest beginning to ache as she nodded her head. A lump formed in her throat, making it difficult to breathe. Raven opened her eyes, looking at her with a solemn gaze. "... Will you do alright? We're going up against the thing that killed him. And if you're really going to start drinking... Could you do it?"

"... I-I..." Verde paused to wipe at her eyes before looking back up at Raven. And to the Huntress's surprise, she gave a small smile. "... I am going to be fine, Ms. Branwen. Because with Vao d... D-dead... I don't have a reason to hold back. I don't have a reason to care. If it came to my own death... I don't have any qualms. Because in the end, would living be worth it? I'll never wake up to see him again."

Raven shook her head, leaning forward to take Verde's hand in her own, stroking the back with her thumb like a mother would. "You're too young to be thinking that way, kid. You're only eighteen."

But Verde pulled her hand away, standing up on her feet and looking away. "... I am not dumb, Ms. Branwen. By the time we reach Salem... Most of us will be dead. I am no exception. So knowing my fate, why fear it? Why worry, when there is nothing to look forward to in the first place?" Verde turned, walking towards the door slowly. And as her hand rested on the brass knob, she paused. She turned her head towards Raven, but didn't look at her. "... But when I do encounter Salem... I won't die without a fight. That thing... Cnimbrerh... It killed Vao. It killed my world. And that's why I will do whatever it takes to win. Even if it destroys me."

She pulled open the door, taking one step out. And before she left, she said the last words of their conversation.

"... Even if it means breaking promises..."

Verde closed the door behind her, leaving Raven alone. The older woman stared after her, feeling the tears trickle down her cheeks. She wiped them away furiously. She hated that weakness more than anything. She reached towards her desk, picking up her weapon and staring at it for a moment. Staring at her own reflection.

And then realized something.

Verde had said Salem's true name. A secret that was guarded tightly. A secret Ironwood would never have told her. And looking up, Raven began to ask herself questions. How much did Verde know about the abominations? About Salem?

... She didn't have time to think about that. Standing up and taking another sip from her whiskey, she began making her way out the door.

It was time she stood up and did something. Verde was right; Salem couldn't get away with this. Vao, as violent as he was, had been harmless. Another innocent life it had crushed under it's terrifying heel. Raven growled as she pulled the door open, making her way down the halls.

It was time Raven acted like a Huntress.

...

The ride to the Innsmaw was silent as Raven drove down the desolate street. Y/N was sitting in the front seat, staring out the window.

Raven had decided to skip the Club altogether, and just go afterwards. Y/N was beginning to regret not preparing at the Club, and maybe even taking a few guys with them. Her hands gripped the steering wheel tightly, her eyes set dead ahead.

He felt something bad was going to happen. Behind him, Verde took a sip from Vao's flask as she read her book, shocking Sasha - who was forced to have Cardin sit in her lap because of her sheer size. The ginger felt like a kid, and it made him confused about what exactly he was into.

"Verde! What the hell are you doing!?"

"Drinking."

When she said that, Y/N spun around. "B-but I thought you didn't like drinking!?"

"I changed my mind. It makes me feel fuzzy," Verde replied. She took another sip before twisting the cap back on, tossing it to the Rose. "Try it. It helps me handle everything that's happening, and will happen."

"Y/N, what the hell is she talking about?" Raven asked. The blonde had forgotten he never explained it. "Erm... Well, Verde's been studying about the abominations..." He tossed the flask back to the artist. He wasn't about to start drinking.

Raven nodded. "I can see that. That's one of the books that was stolen from the restricted section of the library, right? Didn't think you would even consider doing that."

"Actually... I-it was Vao's idea..."

"... That makes sense..."

Y/N didn't feel like he could tell about what Verde had done. And so he looked to Weiss, who was stuffed in the back of the van with Yang, where they had the most room. The heiress leaned on the back of the seats, her face shadowed with the memory. "... Verde was studying Salem, and... Well, started drinking its blood."

Raven looked to Verde, who quietly read her book, her lips moving as her eyes scanned the words. Weiss continued. "A-and eventually, she started doing experiments. Found a way to... Create those things. Went a bit crazy..."

"A bit," Cardin muttered. "Understatement of the century. She began to inject herself while saying this weird chant, then tried to turn Vao..."

Y/N could tell Raven was about to pull over and beat Verde. Reacting quickly, he grabbed her arm and squeezed. "It's not her fault... We saved her in the end, and she remembers everything she learned... Honestly, we're lucky we got that much..." He trailed off, figuring out how to phrase his words. "... But one of the things she talks about... We just can't get. She calls it 'The First Timeline', or something..."

Yang nodded. "Yeah... You never really explained it properly," she agreed. "Well, we have hours before we reach that creepy ass village..."

Verde knew what they were hunting at. She sighed, closing the book and setting it in her lap. "... I've already mentioned that similar events have happened before, yes?"

Her friends nodded, and Verde looked down at the flask, stroking it gently before taking another sip.

"Then I will say in confidence that... Not all of us are going to make it back."

Cardin looked at her worriedly. "W-what do you mean?"

Verde sighed, leaning on her knees. "... Hey, Y/N?"

"Y-yes?"

The artist looked at him darkly, her green eyes meeting his blue ones. "... Do you ever have nightmares? Of yourself, fighting Vao? Except you're older. Vao's hair is longer. He only has one eye. And you, you're holding Ruby's scythe and wearing your mother's cloak."

Y/N felt his heart miss a beat. Verde had hit the nail on the head. Ever since he used magic for the first time, he had been having that recurring dream. He never thought much of it. He always ignored it, and forgot about it as they day went on. But Verde stared at him emptily, her face as blank as a white wall.

"That... Is a glimpse, of the First Timeline. A time where we were forced to forget. Forget that it ever happened. Except Salem. It remembers. And it wants us dead," she explained. "If I told you about the First Timeline, you would all call me crazy, or you wouldn't get it. It's a lot, starting from the day Y/N was born, to the age of twenty-eight. All I can say, that you would understand, is that Salem can only be killed by Y/N and Vao. Specifically their magic; Light and Dark."

Y/N glanced at Verde before turning back to his lap. "... B-but Vao's..."

Verde nodded her head. "Now you see. Now you see why I wanted to resume my studies, knowing the danger. With Vao gone, Salem is unable to be killed by anything this world has. But I have a theory."

"A theory?" Sasha echoed. "You have a theory? What the hell is an idea going to help us with? We don't have time for theories!"

"Then do you propose a better plan, Sasha?"

She didn't answer Verde. She just looked away. Verde sighed, taking another sip. "... I know it is a gamble. But it's all we have... My plan revolves around Cnimbrerh's Blood-"

"I'm not touching that stuff," Weiss interrupted. "Benutze deinen Kopf. There has to be another way."

But Verde glared at the heiress. Or, at least that's what she guessed it was. Verde's face wasn't expressive. "It is only a theory. It is not for certain that it would even work; I still need to research it further."

"And what's this theory, then?" Raven asked quietly. Verde pointed at Y/N.

"You drink it."

"... Excuse me, what?"

Verde didn't flinch when he glared at her. "I said you drink it. If my theory is correct, then your magic will nullify the effects if the dosage is small. Like when you struck me with your magic, the effects faded from my body, perhaps the same could happen to you," she explained. "However... I've no doubt that if you drank too much, you would become a husk of your former self. Another of Cnimbrerh's worshippers. And even then, it is just a theory; it may not work, and I am not willing to test it."

They let out a sigh of relief. Hearing that Verde wasn't going to force him eased the tension in the air. And slowly, Raven's car came to a halt. She glanced at her scroll before putting it away, leaning her head back on the seat.

"... We're here. It looks like we're going to be walking the rest of the way," she murmured. As they climbed out of the car, Verde had finished the flask, and stumbled on her own feet. "Oh... I appear to be off balance..."

"Alcohol does that, Verde," Sasha muttered. The artist placed her hands on her hips, humming thoughtfully.

"Hm... Yes, that would make perfect sense. Ms. Branwen, may I have some more whiskey?"

"I... Think you've had enough," the Huntress said softly. As they moved through the forest, twigs and leaves crunched noisily under their heels; the only sound in the night air. Cardin groaned, squinting into the darkness. "... Where's the moon? Could really use a little light..."

"It's behind the clouds... The forecast said it was likely going to rain... So no campfire, then," Yang mumbled. Raven shook her head.

"We're in a forest. Fire is a bad idea. And besides, if Salem really is in that town... Then we can't go in. And a fire would only attract unwanted attention."

"What do you mean?" Y/N asked. He could barely make out the shape of his aunt as they moved. He couldn't see what face she was making, but he doubted she was smiling.

"... Innsmaw is a cult town. You've been there, haven't you? Seen their library?" Raven asked quietly. "Doubt you could read them. But they're all about worshipping Salem. Or, as Verde calls it, Cnimbrerh, it's true name."

Sasha's head was brushing past the branches as she thought. "... What exactly is Cnimbrerh? Like, we know it's some kind of monster. But is it like a Grimm?"

Raven shook her head. "No. If it was, our lives would be a lot easier right now. It's... Well, it's difficult to explain. I'd bet Verde would have a better time, given she seems to know more than the rest of us."

Behind Y/N, Verde nodded her head. "Cnimbrerh is... Well... Um..." The artist seemed to be having trouble putting it into words. But from the tone of her voice, it was clear she knew what it was. "... It's an abomination. But not one made on Remnant. Rather, I suspect the cosmos."

"... This shit gets weirder and weirder," Yang muttered. "All this thinking is giving me a headache..."

Verde ignored her complaints and continued talking. "I am growing dizzy, and would wish to remain silent for the time being. I am currently seeing double, and do not know what to do."

Weiss ended up having to carry Verde on her back, who fell asleep almost instantly. A few hours passed, and as they saw the candlelight from the windows of the village, Raven held her arm out to stop them in their tracks. The Huntress pressed a finger to her lips and pointed to the ground before crawling to her stomach. Y/N did the same, meeting the scarlet eyes of his aunt. In the darkness, she almost looked like...

Y/N bit back a tear. He didn't want to think about Vao right now. About how he held the half of the corpse of his best friend in his arms. Weiss looked at him worriedly before grabbing his hand and squeezing it supportively. But Y/N just pulled away, resting his head on the ground. Raven beckoned them closer, dropping her voice until they almost couldn't hear her.

"So here's the plan; someone is going to sneak into that church, and you're going to start looking for Salem. Confirm it's here. And then..." She looked away, contemplating whether or not she should reveal that to them. She already said his body had been stolen. But with a deep, shaky breath, she came forward. "... You're going to look for Vao's body. I know Salem was the one who took it. And it's probably being preserved in some way."

"... Salem took Vao's body?" Cardin asked quietly. Raven nodded.

"I said someone dug him up earlier, didn't I? And I have a gut feeling that Salem has it. And I want to know why. So who's the best at sneaking?"

Verde lifted her hand. She had awoken, and in the hours that it took for them to walk, she had sobered up a bit. Not entirely, but enough to function. "My Semblance will prove most useful, here. I will go."

Raven nodded curtly. "... Very well. If anything goes wrong, call out to us. Send a distress signal on your scroll, and we'll be there immediately."

Verde nodded, crawling off Weiss's back and towards the village. She paused, turning to look back at her friends. That terrible feeling had come back. Shaking it off, she resumed her approach, activating her Semblance as she rolled down the hill. Without so much as a sound, she landed on her feet and dove into the shadows.

She was completely alone, she realized. No one to watch her back. She could feel the first few raindrops fall on her head, her hair steadily growing wet. And soon, the mist began to spread across the village. This played in her favor; with visibility reduced, she would have an easier time moving around. She peered from around the house she was pressed against, peering into the courtyard. In the middle of the plaza, she could just make out three cloaked figures talking quietly. Cultists.

Activating her Semblance again, she ran across the courtyard, leaping into the shadows. She could see the church now, but she doubted that pushing through the doors was very wise. It was a rather terrible idea. She looked around for a window she could sneak into. But all the windows were stained glass, and couldn't be opened. As Verde circled the building, she stepped around the back and began looking on the ground. And as she suspected, she found it. The steps leading to the iron door that blocked off the cellar. Without a sound she crept down the stairs, twisting the doorknob. It didn't budge. She sighed, reaching into he pocket and fishing out a paperclip.

"... Thank you for teaching me this, beloved..." She whispered under her breath. Following what Vao had taught her, she pressed her ear closer to the lock, bending the paperclip and fiddling with the tumbler. And with a soft click, it popped free. Verde twisted the knob again, slowly opening the door. To her sheer luck again, it didn't screech as it opened. She wondered just how much more luck she had.

The basement was dank. Frigid, musty, wet, and filthy, it wasn't a place Verde enjoyed walking around in. She shuddered as she watched a spider bigger than her hand move across the wall, the hairs on its legs bristling as the stranger moved past it's web. Verde listened for any sound. Footsteps, breathing, anything that could signal an enemy. And when she heard nothing, she pulled out her scroll and clicked on the flashlight.

It was about what she had expected. The ceilings towered overhead at twelve feet. Vials of Salem's Blood were lined on the shelves, the black liquid swirling around in the glass containers, books in a strange language lying about. But what caught her attention the most, was the massive steel box that leaned against the wall. Big enough to fit a person inside. Verde felt her heart rate spike drastically. She had a feeling that was what Raven had been looking for. The artist looked around warily. She was alone, and yet she still had that feeling of being watched by a malevolent force. As she crept up to the black box, she reached out and let her fingertips graze it's surface carefully.

It was cold. Cold, but unlocked. Gripping the edges of the lid, she grunted as she pulled. She had to lean back just to pry it open a little bit.

Creeeeaaaaakkk. Groaaaaaan...

The door swung open, finally revealing the contents. Verde fell silent, her face going deathly pale. Vao's corpse stared back at her, his halved face staring back at her. Salem had taken Vao's body.

SLAM!

The lid was suddenly slammed shut, and Verde looked straight up at the face of the snarling behemoth. Verde had never thought anyone could tower over Sasha. No, no one naturally could. And with a horrified scream, she bolted towards the cellar door and pressed her distress call.

...

Everyone's scrolls began flashing and beeping, a loud alarm that pulled them from drowsiness. Raven jumped to her feet and drew her ōdachi, pointing it at the village. "Now! Verde's found something!" She shouted.

With Y/N following close behind her, they leaped down the hill, charging into the courtyard to see Verde hauling ass from behind the church, panic on her short face. And close behind was the biggest man Y/N had ever seen in his life. Raven let out a growl.

"Sh-shit... It's Hazel...!"

"T-taller than me...?" Sasha whispered distantly. Verde reached them, Hazel stopping in his tracks and pounding his chest furiously.

"Oh, it's about fucking time you showed up! I waited six hours in that smelly basement! Six miserable hours!"

Raven growled, looking at Verde from the corner of her eye. "What did you find, kid?"

"Vao's body!" Verde shrieked. "They have Vao's body!"

Raven blasted forward, her ōdachi already in full swing. But with one swipe of his tree trunk sized arms, Hazel knocked her out of the sky - and beelined straight for Y/N. The Rose dodged as the monstrous human fortress slammed his foot down, cracking the ground beneath his weight. Sasha was charging forward with her Sandstorm held high over her head, electricity sparking off the curved blade. Hazel sidestepped the weapon and decked her in the mouth, lifting her high over his head and hurling her towards Weiss and Yang. They were forced to dive out of the way as Sasha bounced across the ground, groaning as she stood up.

Raven snarled, glaring at Y/N. "We can't take Hazel on by ourselves! You and me, boy! Together!" She ordered. Y/N nodded as they circled Hael, taking opposite sides. Raven turned to Weiss. "Rich kid! Use your glyphs to hold him down! Prepare yourself, because it's gonna hurt like a bitch when he fights back!" She pointed at Yang and Cardin. "And you two! When Weiss uses her Semblance, you focus on attacking! Provide a distraction!"

Weiss stabbed her Myrtenaser into the ground, locking Hazel's wrists with her glyphs. She began to sweat when Hazel struggled; he was far stronger than she could have imagined. Yang and Cardin pincer attacked Hazel, the ginger's mace slamming into his back as Yang's Ember Celica unleashed a flurry of shotgun pellets into his gut. Hazel grunted and kicked her away before bringing back his foot into Cardin's crotch, bringing him to the ground.

"Y/N! Now!"

Obeying Raven's orders, Y/N bolted forward with his katana sheathed. And as he drew close enough to Hazel, together they drew their weapons and slashed at his arms. Blood soared through the rainy air, staining the ground. But it wasn't enough. Hazel didn't even flinch. With a monstrous roar, he tugged his arms, shattering Weiss's glyphs. The heiress dropped down from exhaustion, watching in horror as he slammed yellow crystals into his arms. His veins began to glow, electricity sparking around him as he screamed in pain.

The shockwave sent them flying off their feet, Raven growling in fury. "His Semblance! Don't let him touch you!"

Hazel pounded his fists furiously into his chest. "I'm done playin' around! I won't let some cheeky brats get in my way!" He screamed at the top of his lungs. He pointed at Y/N, a horrifying snark on his face. "You sided with Ozpin once, right!? Then we've got a score to settle!"

Y/N didn't have time to step out of the way. The ground trembled as Hazel charged forward and snatched him up, one hand wrapped around his waist and the other wrapped around his right arm. Hazel grinned sadistically, giving a sharp tug. Y/N screamed in agony when he felt his shoulder dislocate, dangling limply in Hazel's hands. The huge man laughed like a maniac. "Let's see you swing that toy around after this!"

Verde slung paint at Hazel in an attempt to at least slow him down so Raven could reach them, but he shrugged off the burns like they were nothing. Hazel gave another sharp tug, tearing the sleeve off his combat outfit. Y/N squirmed and cried, trying desperately to free himself. He could see Raven running towards them, her face wide with terror, her arm reaching out for him. But Hazel gave one last sharp tug.

RRRRIIIIIIP!

He heard his bones cracking under the pull, splintering to pieces as his flesh was rendered. Y/N nearly blacked out from the pain as Hazel tossed him to the side. His shoulder screamed in pain, searing, burning, and he stared back at the giant - who now held his right arm. Hazel grabbed the wrist and gave it a small wave before tossing it to the side. Y/N looked down at the bloody stump of his shoulder, shivering as the pain rocketed through his body.

No doubt Hazel knew the weaknesses of his Semblance. Salem would have told him. Y/N grabbed the bloody wound, frantically rolling out of the way as HaEl came crashing down, smashing the floor to pieces. Weiss was at Y/B's side, pulling him to safety. She was freaking out.

"Oh, Dust! Oh Dust!" She bawled. Raven growled, her blade crashing into Hazel's thick arms, trembling as she tried to hold him back. "Schnee! Apply field care! Y/N's Semblance can't regrow limbs! He'll bleed out at this point!"

Weiss grabbed the bottom of her dress, tearing off a strip and wrapping it tightly around his chest, panic settling in. But Y/N shoved her away the moment she was done, picking his katana off the ground. He wasn't left handed by any means, but he was literally fighting for his life at this point. The fight or flight response kicked into overdrive, adrenaline pumping through his body. Hazel effortlessly knocked the weapon from his grasp and grabbed him by the hair, launching him through the wall of someone's house.

"What next, Y/N!? Should I tear your fucking legs off next? Watch you try to run!? That shit would be hilarious!" Hazel roared in fury. "You'll pay for siding with that sister-killing piece of shit! I'll bury you six, no, eight feet under you little bastard!"

Sasha charged forward with a scream, chucking her scimitar like a boomerang. The blade cut into Hazel's side, drawing blood. The giants clashed together as Sasha decked him in the mouth, her veins bulging as her Semblance activated. Sasha had never met anyone who was bigger and stronger than she was. Hazel stood at least two hundred and forty-three centimeters tall; eight feet. And just like everything else, he ignored her blows. He grabbed her by the hips, sending waves of electricity through her body. Sasha's red hair stuck out as she screamed from the electrocution, left nothing more than a twitching mess on the ground.

Slash! Slash! Slash!

Raven's sword cut deep, but not deep enough to drive Hazel back. He grabbed her by the wrist and slammed her into the dirt like a ragdoll, kicking her away as if she weighed nothing. Weiss tried to slow him down with her Semblance again, but he just smashed through the barrier effortlessly. Weiss was launched into the air, landing somewhere behind the library. Yang and Cardin were slammed together as Hazel laughed, like a kid playing with action figures.

And in his crater, Y/N groaned as he fell to the ground. Raven was at his side, slinging him on her shoulder. "K-kid! How are you feeling!?"

Y/N couldn't respond. He was feeling cold and lightheaded, and Raven could see it. She grit her teeth, opening her mouth to scream at them. "The car! Get back to the car, NOW!"

No one had to be told twice. Raven tossed Y/N to Sasha, who slung him over her shoulders and began sprinting. Hazel chased after them furiously, throwing death threats at them.

"You won't get away from me, Rose!" He shouted. He knocked trees out of his way, moving like a train as he chased after them. Raven glanced behind her, her teeth bared. "Everyone remember where the car is!?" When her allies nodded, Raven waved her arm in the air. "Then split! There's only one of him! He can't chase all of us at once!"

They broke apart from each other, bringing rage to Hazel's addled mind. He bolted for Sasha; she had his target. He leapt into the air, blowing through branches and leaves as he hurtled down towards Sasha.

"I'll kill you, Y/N! I'll kill you for my Goddess!"

Sasha dodged as he came crashing down, kicking a tree and tipping it over to firm a roadblock. Even if it was temporary, because Hazel just ran through it like nothing. Sasha began to sweat. Hazel was keeping pace with her. Stronger, faster, bigger than her. Around her shoulders, Y/N poked her.

"S-Sasha..." He breathed. His voice was quiet, and he seemed out of it. "We... N-need to fight..."

"Shut up, Y/N! You can't do anything like that! Your arm is freaking gone!"

But Y/N shook his head. "S-Sasha... I've thought... O-of something..."

The giantess looked up at him as she sprinted through the trees, meeting his dazed blue eyes. Y/N pointed at her, and then behind them, where Hazel was noisily bulldozing through anything in his path. "D-Dust... Let's... I-inject him with it..."

Sasha growled. "Are you sure you're okay!? The Dust is what's making him so strong!"

"But how much can he take... Before it hurts him?"

Sasha thought about it. Surely there had to be a limit, right? All Semblances have a limit. But that would mean going against Hazel in hand-to-hand combat - something Sasha wasn't confident she could do. She gritted her teeth. "... If you get us killed, I'm going to beat your ass in the afterlife," she growled. She reached into her pocket and fished out three fire Dust crystals. The stones glowed warmly in her fingers, and she spun around on her heel, kicking up dirt. Hazel barged through the trees, screaming in fury.

"Stop running! For fuck's sake, you're so damned annoying!" He shouted. Sasha leapt forward, swinging the crystals in in the air. Hazel blocked it with his forearm, grinning maliciously. "... And you're fucking stupid."

Sasha was knocked back when Hazel exploded, the rain keeping the forest from catching ablaze. Y/N nearly flew off, just barely holding on by the tips of his fingers. Sasha reached for more, throwing the crystals like throwing knives. Hazel caught every single one of them, stabbing the jagged and sharp ends into his arms, slicing skin. And finally, his arms began to fizzle. Hazel's eyes widened in panic. Sasha gritted her teeth when he shoved her, dropping Y/N. Hazel loomed over her, screaming in a mix of fury and sheer agony. "You rotten, ugly desert bitch! You think you'll get away with this!?"

Y/N shakily reached for his katana. He didn't have much time left, and he knew it. If he took too long, he was going to pass out from blood loss. But when he looked at Sasha, on the ground in front of Hazel, he remembered Vao. With a scream of horror, he charged at the villain, his sword in mid swing.

And then he suffered another memory. As the blade drew closer, Y/N saw him. As unforgivable as that man had been, he was Y/N's first kill. He remembered Rojo. He remembered the feeling as the last beats of his heart vibrated through his sword. And just inches away from cutting into Hazel's neck, Y/N froze. The monstrous man turned, flashing a sly grin.

"Heh... You couldn't bring yourself to do it after all..."

Y/N felt his feet wobble. This was it, he realized. He had bled too much. His eyes drooped, and the last thing he saw before he passed out was Hazel lumbering towards him slowly.

And then everything went dark.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86.8K 2.9K 7
TWILIGHT// "I hope you are blessed with a heart like a wildflower. Strong enough to rise again after being trampled upon, tough enough to weather the...
12.1K 110 12
Sorry about the cover its the best one I can find. anyways William is a human who survived the great flood. in fact he is the last human alive. p.s...
318K 7K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
258K 6.2K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...