Love Blossoms in Strange Cond...

By Milky_boyy

(Cover Art By Me) A lone wolf is all alone in the cookie kingdom while a little gardener tends to the flowers... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Chapter 4

68 7 0
By Milky_boyy

Herb watched as the two cookies played in the snow, throwing snowballs back and forth to each other. Herb smiled at the sight and waited for a bit, letting them play around a bit longer.

Werewolf had finally created a strategy to make his snowballs more firm, putting up a challenge against Snow Sugar. Snow Sugar giggled with each hit of snow against their coat. Werewolf continued to go along with the fight, falling down every time he got hit.

"AAGH!" Werewolf called out, "I've been hit!"

Snow Sugar ran over to Werewolf, carrying a pile of snow in their arms. "Avalanche!" Snow Sugar announced.

They poured down the snow from their arms, watching as Werewolf became submerged into the snow. Werewolf swung his arms out, desperately swinging around for any sign of Snow Sugar's presence. Werewolf's words were muffled under the snow while Snow Sugar could barely hold in their laugh.

After a bit, Snow Sugar finally freed Werewolf from the snow pile by helping him wipe it off of himself.

"Ah! I'm free!" Werewolf sprung from the ground.

"Not yet!" Snow Sugar challenged him once more.

Snow Sugar threw a hidden snowball at Werewolf, causing snow to splatter on his back.

"No! I just got back up!" Werewolf fell to his knees, letting Snow Sugar throw a few more snowballs.

Before anymore snowballs could be thrown, someone spoke up. "I think that's enough you two."

Werewolf and Snow Sugar turned around to see Herb standing above them with his arms crossed.

"Awww, but we were having fun!" Snow Sugar pouted.

"I know! I saw you two," Herb smirked at Werewolf.

Werewolf was unimpressed, standing up and brushing himself off as he returned to his aggressive attitude. "Don't give me that look."

"Why not? I didn't know you enjoyed children games so much," Herb teased.

"...you would have done it too."

Snow Sugar butt into the conversation, "you do snowball fights too, Herb!"

Werewolf gave Herb a strict look in response to Snow Sugar.

"Okay, okay. I get it, but we need to bring Snow Sugar home now."

Snow Sugar hung their head down in disappointment and walked over to Herb. Werewolf watched as Snow Sugar went to Herb's side.

"Thanks once again for looking out for them," Herb grinned.

Werewolf looked away and frowned, "I wasn't looking out for Snow Sugar. I just noticed that they were lonely."

"I see. You must get lonely sitting here in the snow too."

"I don't need your pity."

Herb sighed and gently looked towards Snow Sugar, "I wasn't pitying you, I was just observing. Snow Sugar seems to notice as well."

Snow Sugar raised their head up to the mentioning of their name, "yeah! Werewolf always walks around by himself here. I was alone here too."

"And he accompanied you, right?"

"That's right!" Snow Sugar exclaimed.

Werewolf angrily crossed his arms. Herb couldn't help but giggle at Werewolf's defeat in the conversation.

"You know, you don't have to be," Herb explained.

"I don't have to be what?" Werewolf became confused.

"You don't have to be lonely. You know my name, surely! I remember yours, Werewolf cookie. We can get to know each other more, you know?"

Werewolf hesitated, genuinely pondering the thought of getting to know Herb. He lowered his arms, becoming less defensive. "Perhaps another day," Werewolf spoke in a nicer tone, "but that's not now. Leave while you can."

Herb was warmed by those words, seeing that Werewolf might have liked his company if he just gave him a chance. "See you then, Werewolf cookie," Herb gave a small bow.

Werewolf awkwardly returned the gesture, bowing back.

"Bye, Herb cookie."

They stared at each other for a bit before Snow Sugar broke the silence. "I'm getting cold," Snow Sugar complained.

Herb was startled for a bit, "oh, right! It is getting awfully cold, we should head home before I begin to freeze."

"It looks like you already are," Werewolf pointed to Herb's nose.

There was a patch of frost forming on Herb's nose, prompting Herb to begin to rub the area. "Oh dear, it's worse than I thought. Come on, let's go quickly! I'm frosting!" Herb quickly grabbed Snow Sugar's arm.

Herb frantically waved goodbye to Werewolf, but just before Herb could turn away from Werewolf, he suddenly collapsed into the snow. 

"Huh? Herb?" Snow Sugar's tone shifted to concern.

Herb slowly lifted himself from the snow, one arm supporting his weight.

"That was... odd. Heh, don't worry Snow Sugar, I've got this," Herb smiled.

Werewolf walked around to the front of Herb, watching him weakly stand up. Herb was now noticeably shaking, attempting to hold himself for warmth.

"You're not even supposed to be out here, are you?" Werewolf questioned.

Herb's smile faded, "It's just the frost, that's all. Nothing else."

Snow Sugar became immensely worried, looking up to Werewolf for some kind of comfort for the situation. "Plants are definitely not supposed to be out during this kind of weather, hm?" Werewolf tried to get Herb to explain himself.

Herb sat there, not being able to respond. Werewolf quickly dropped his attitude, now becoming worried with Snow Sugar. He quickly brought their attention. "Snow Sugar, take me to where he stays."

Snow Sugar nodded frantically, already beginning to walk the path back to Herb's home. Werewolf leaned down onto the snow, lifting Herb up into him arms. He proceeded to carry Herb over his shoulder, leaving one hand on his hip for support. Herb mumbled an inaudible sentence to Werewolf. "Let's go," Werewolf commanded Snow Sugar.

Snow Sugar took one last worried glance at Herb, then hurried his pace back to the house with Werewolf following from behind.

From Herb's current view, he saw Werewolf's cloak drag from behind, leaving a small trail along with the footprints in the snow. Herb stared at the cloak, watching it twist and turn in the snow whenever he would make a sudden move. Herb took time to study the cape, he even began to notice something underneath it as they turned into different directions. Each time Werewolf would turn, Herb saw an outline of something hidden underneath the cloak, but never got to see it outside of the cloak. In a moment of pure curiosity, Herb reluctantly lifted the cloak to the side.

There, Herb saw a fluffy grey tail. After about two seconds, Werewolf took notice and immediately grabbed the cape and swung it back on top of his tail. "Don't you dare," Werewolf called out.

Herb couldn't utter any sassy remarks due to his current condition, but he quietly thought to himself what he would have said if he could.

Herb then noticed Werewolf walking up the front steps of his house, stopping with a slight pause. After a bit of time, Snow Sugar had been able to successfully open the door and they walked through, letting the heat finally reach Herb. Werewolf sniffed a bit, taking in the atmosphere as he set Herb down on a chair. He got a moment to stretch after walking Herb home, letting out a grunt from his tense muscles.

"Smells nice, like cocoa..." Werewolf quietly commented.

"I like cocoa!" Snow Sugar responded.

Herb took a few breaths, letting his body finally warm up. Werewolf looked around the house from where he was standing, noticing the large amount of plants laying around in random spots. A few seconds pasted, Werewolf now turning back to Herb waiting for a sign as to what he should do. Herb weakly spoke, "Can you do me a quick favor...?"

Werewolf nodded, "as long as it doesn't require you going outside."

"Firewood... I need more firewood. Outside, in the backyard, there's a shed. Bring some back from there, please?"

Werewolf instantly walked away in a hurry, heading towards the back of Herb's home without question. Snow Sugar stood by Herb anxiously, twirling their fingers together. Herb was visibly ill and it was beginning to scare Snow Sugar. "I'm sorry..." Snow Sugar mustered an apology, sensing that their playtime caused this.

Herb placed his hand on Snow Sugar's shoulder, "don't be sorry. I should have known it was going to be this bad. Should have taken the frost seriously."

Snow Sugar huddled with Herb, coming in for a hug. Herb tried to hug back to the best of his ability. "Does it hurt?" Snow Sugar asked.

"Not at all. I'm just tired, that's all. Plants aren't used to this kind of weather, especially my type. I really should have been more wary."

During their small conversation, Werewolf returned to the room holding a pile of firewood in his arms. Herb pointed towards a fireplace, "there, set them there. That should help."

Werewolf did as Herb said. One by one, Werewolf added the firewood into the fireplace; Werewolf would obsessively look at Herb with each addition to the fire to see if Herb got any better. It obviously wouldn't have any effect right away, but the repetition almost calmed him as he saw Herb sitting there. Herb still sat on the chair holding Snow Sugar close to him, watching as the last piece of wood was thrown in. 

"Did that do anything?" Werewolf tilted his head towards the fire.

"A little, but it's good enough. Thank you," Herb thanked him.

It was quite for a bit, leaving Werewolf to decide what he wanted to do. "I should go now. You're now where you're supposed to be," Werewolf got up from the fire.

Herb lifted up his head, "what? Leaving so soon? It's still horribly cold out."

"To you. I've survived this kind of weather before, I'll be fine."

Herb watched as Werewolf walked to the door, grabbing the knob to leave the house. "Wait, not yet!" Herb called out.

Werewolf turned to Herb, "what now?"

"I... I can't feel my legs. Could you take me to my room?"

"This better be the last request. I don't plan to help you the whole day."

"I promise it will be the last."

Werewolf loosened his grip on the knob and walked over to Herb, preparing to carry him again.

"And this time: don't sling me over your shoulder. It's uncomfortable."

"I should in spite of you."

Despite Werewolf's remark, he still followed Herb's request and lifted him in front of him instead. Snow Sugar reluctantly let go of Herb and stayed by his side, following them upstairs. As they went up, Werewolf took slow and careful steps as to not startle Herb.

"Never thought that the winter would ever get this bad..." Herb sulked.

"It definitely wasn't supposed too. This is the worst year yet," Werewolf confirmed.

They reached the top of the stairs and made their way down the hall. Herb signaled with his hands where to go, guiding Werewolf to his room. Upon entering Herb's room, the smell of vanilla instantly hit Werewolf's nose, causing him to stop and wrinkle his nose. "Ugh, what's up with this place? I smell nothing but vanilla..."

Herb chuckled, "sorry about that, I was growing some plants for Sparkling cookie, but I never got to give them to him."

"I guess he'll have to wait until next year."

Herb stayed optimistic, "Let's hope it doesn't get to that point."

Snow Sugar waited at the door as Werewolf walked Herb over to his bed, setting him down gently. "There, now please don't make me tuck you into bed or read a bed time story," Werewolf jokingly added.

"Of course not, this was all I wanted. I guess now you can leave," Herb permitted him.

"Finally," Werewolf walked away from Herb, passing by Snow Sugar.

"Bye friend!" Snow Sugar called out.

Werewolf was heard faintly saying bye to Snow Sugar, then his footsteps slowly disappeared with the sound of the front door opening. Herb heavily sighed, closing his eyes as Snow Sugar stared at him by the door still.

"I actually kind of wish he would stay..." Herb whispered.

"Yeah, we had a fun snowball fight!" Snow Sugar excitedly remembered.

Herb smiled, "he just seems so kind. I wonder why he's so distant..."

Snow Sugar took the comment literally, "He's not distant! He was just here!"

"No, not what I meant silly. I meant emotionally," Herb turned himself over in his bed facing the wall, "he doesn't seem to want to share his feelings with me. He's so cold and bitter, but he's more than willing to help... what could be on his mind?"

Snow Sugar thought for a moment, "maybe he's shy?"

Herb paused, then turned back to Snow Sugar, "wait, so how did you two meet? What was he like?"

"Well, now that I think about it, he never talked at first. I got myself into a bit of trouble, and he helped me out! But he ran away."

"...so avoidant," Herb thought for a second, "I should invite him over."

"Oooh! A sleep over?"

"You know what? Yeah, a sleep over. We'll invite Werewolf for a sleep over, how about it?"

"Yay! Sleepover!"

Snow Sugar ran back into their room. Herb rolled back onto the middle of the bed, staring into the ceiling. Was it something I said, he thought. Why would he be so avoidant. What was he hiding? Why be so mysterious? Herb's mind raced with thoughts of the cookie that he met, questioning his own actions with him.

Herb grabbed the nearest blanket and covered himself, preparing to take a nap.

"I'll have to make lunch for Snow Sugar later..."

Herb snuggled up into his blanket.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 154 12
Cover art is mine** The cookies who followed dark enchantress were suddenly able to cut their ties in a moment of truth, in a final decision to prove...
1.8K 36 8
From partying in another Kingdom, to being introduced to the Cookies of Darkness, Clover Cookie has a lot of information to take in. Pure Vanilla Coo...
30.4K 877 27
Licorice cookie is my favorite character so deal with this semi fluff semi angst x reader fic (also idk if it is considered slowburn though it defini...
73.4K 5.4K 31
To help a grouchy werewolf fit in at a human high school is the biggest challenge golden boy Xavier Davis has faced yet. *** When Xavier Davis is ask...