The Bird and the Garden 2: Re...

By SecretMinty

The second book of The Bird and the Garden, taking place after the Good Ending. With Y/N and Vao's lives havi... More

Chapter 1: New Beginnings
Chapter 2: It Lives
Chapter 3: Beacon
Chapter 4: The Initiation
Character Introductions
Chapter 5: A New Life
Chapter 6: Class
Chapter 7: Shadows Creep
Chapter 8: It Begins
Chapter 9: The Murder
Chapter 10: Revelation
Chapter 11: Recovery
Chapter 12: Upcoming Events
Chapter 13: The School Dance
Chapter 14: The Club
Chapter 15: Forbidden Knowledge
Chapter 16: Verde's Secret
Chapter 17: There Will Be Bloodshed
Chapter 18: Kill
Chapter 19: Uncovered Truths
Chapter 20: The Beginning
Chapter 21: Innsmaw
Chapter 22: Insanity
Chapter 23: Vytal Festival
Chapter 24: Paradise
Chapter 25: Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 27: Nightmares
Chapter 28: Rain Over Innsmaw
Chapter 29: Withdrawn
Chapter 30: Escape
Chapter 31: Making a Mistake
Chapter 32: Hell
Chapter 33: Everything is Wrong
Chapter 34: Fugitives
Chapter 35: Interview
Chapter 36: Vale News Department
Chapter 37: Lisa Lavender
Chapter 38: Sasha, Part One
Chapter 39: Sasha, Part Two
Chapter 40: Questions
Chapter 41: Memories
Chapter 42: The Training, Part One
Chapter 43: The Training, Part Two
Chapter 44: War on Vale
Chapter 45: Salem, Part One
Chapter 46: Salem, Part Two
Chapter 47: Salem, Part Three
Chapter 48: Evil's Reality
Scrapped Ideas
Epilogue: Don't Leave Me

Chapter 26: Vao Versus Ruby

92 6 8
By SecretMinty

Disclaimer: I do not own the music nor the video. All rights to the music and Metal Gear Rising belongs to Hideo Kojima, and the video itself belongs to its creator.

And here we are. Another fight scene, and this time it's Vao going after Ruby. Because Y/N never told him Verde had made a full recovery, he jumped to the conclusion that she had died, and is taking matters into his own hands. Stupidity, as you'd expect in this version of Remnant, isn't going to fare anyone well.

The reason I chose this song is because it matches up with how Vao views his team's decision. They were meant to work together, but now he's going off on his own, following his own orders. As the name of the song implies, Vao is his own master at this point.

Prepare for bloodshed. Prepare for a fight.

...

Raven had been driving to the Club with Verde in the passenger seat, the artist staring out the window. The older woman looked at her for a brief moment before focusing on the road again. "... Happy to be out, kid?"

Verde hummed in response. On the inside, she was happy. She'd get to see her friends again - according to Raven, they were all safe. Raven chuckled.

"Still don't know what you guys are doing at Junior's place. Bad folks all around that joint," she commented. "Ah, whatever. Vao's friends with those guys, so I doubt anything bad'll happe- what the hell?"

Raven stopped the car when she saw Vao storm out the door, yanking someone out of their car and climbing inside. He screeched from the parking lot, zooming down the road. "... Did I just witness my kid committing a felony?"

Y/N, Weiss, and Junior were already climbing into the backseat, startling the huntress. Y/N pointed frantically in the direction Vao had driven off to. "After him! He's going after Salem!"

SCREEEEEECH!

The car launched forward, Raven wasting no time in maxing out her speedometer. She could see Vao driving like a maniac ahead, weaving in between oncoming traffic like a professional. Weiss shakily dialed Vao's number, putting the device on speaker. He picked it up immediately.

["Fuck you, fuck you!"]

"Vao, wait! Think about this! We need a plan before we take on Ruby!" Y/N shouted. But Vao's response was an angry scream.

["That slag went and offed Verde! I'm sick of sitting around doing nothing! Doing nothing is wot got her killed! Bloody hell, it's about time we do something about it!"]

Verde tried to say something, but Vao had already hung up. A moment later, his scroll came flying towards them, almost cracking Raven's windshield. Y/N was beginning to regret hiding Verde's recovery from Vao - the moron had jumped to the worst conclusions, and now he was going to get himself killed over it. Junior held out his hand. "Gimme your katana! The rifle form!"

"W-why!?"

"I'm gonna shoot his tires! Give me the fucking gun!"

Y/N practically threw it at him. Junior shattered the window with the buttstock, sticking his upper body out the window and aiming down the sights. But Vao saw him through his rearview mirror, swerving left and right as the bullets flew at his car. He growled, picking up Grimm Demise and holding it out the window.

BOOM!

Raven swerved out of the way just as the rocket sailed past her car, exploding behind them. "What is that idiot trying to do, kill us!?" She screamed. "And where's he going!? This isn't even the right direction!"

"He's trying to shake us off!" Junior shouted. "Vao's an expert when it comes to car chases! He's trying to go after Salem alone because he thinks we won't help him!"

"Excuse me!? How exactly is he an expert!?" Raven shouted. Junior didn't answer, watch as Vao drifted into an alley. Raven followed, her tires squealing loudly. They were right behind Vao now. Raven tapped the back of his vehicle with her bumper, eliciting a response from him. Vao stuck his middle finger out the window, screaming loud enough for them to hear his voice.

"Piss off, you wanker! I'm trying to drive!"

He reached down and plucked a trash can off the ground, chucking it back at them. In the alley, Raven couldn't swerve out of the way. The moldy contents washed over her windshield, and the wipers only smeared it around. "I can't see!" She shrieked. Y/N was already climbing out of the window with Weiss, pulling himself onto the roof of the car.

He felt like he was about to do the dumbest thing he had ever done in his life. If he messed up, he'd be run over. Taking a deep breath, he ran forward and threw himself into the air, landing on the top of Vao's car.

"Wot!? Get off, you cunt!" Vao shouted from below. Weiss landed next to Y/N, reaching through Vao's window and trying to jerk the wheel. She reeled her hand back in pain a second later.

"Ow! He bit me!"

They flew from the alley, giving Vao all the room he needed to swerve left and right. Y/N stabbed his katana through the roof to stay where he was, Weiss clinging to him for her life. The moment the blade pierced the car, Vao screamed in terror.

"HEY! That was really, really close to my shitting head!"

"Then slow down, Vao! We're not letting you fight Salem by yourself!"

Weiss felt her scroll buzzing in her pocket. Digging it out, she clicked open the device. Yang was calling.

["Yo! You're on the news!"]

"I... What?" Weiss looked up into the sky. A police helicopter was chasing after them, the propellers beating loudly into the air. She turned back to her scroll. "Nevermind that! Who are you with!?"

["Cardin, why?"]

"Get down here! Vao's trying to fight Ruby!"

Yang hung up, and Weiss prayed she'd make it in time. If Vao managed to throw them off the car, he'd be putting himself in danger. Raven pulled up next to Vao, ramming the side of his car. Her red eyes blazed with fury.

"This fucking thing takes forever to clean, you little shit! Do you despise me or something!?"

Vao wailed in terror. "Mummy, no! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I love you!"

He nearly crashed into a street lamp as Raven rammed him again, swerving away just in time. Y/N reached down, grabbing the steering wheel and tugging on it. "Pull over Vao!"

"Fuck you!"

Y/N shouted in surprise when Vao bit down on his forearm, leaving teeth marks. But still he didn't let go, giving a sharp tug. The vehicle swerved, nearly rolling over. Vao slammed his car into Raven, launching Y/N to the side, almost sending him tumbling down the road. Y/N was barely holding on, his fingers losing their grip. Weiss crawled forward, grabbing his wrists and pulling him back to safety.

"Vao, you moron! Look inside Raven's car!" Weiss shouted. Vao glanced over, glaring at his mother's vehicle. Verde was inside, waving her arms frantically. But Vao only let out a scream of rage.

"You had Miltia dress up as Verde!? Wot the bloody fuck!?"

Y/N really wished Vao would use his head every now and again. He kicked out the rear windshield with his weapon, climbing inside Vao's car and grappling with his older brother. The car swerved dangerously, rocking on two wheels. Y/N delivered a punch, shaking Vao hard. "That's not Miltia!"

"We had Miltia dress up like Ruby, and she pulled it off! You think I'm stupid!? You did the same thing here!"

Vao headbutted Y/N, turning down another alley, separating himself from the others. And once they exploded from the narrow passageway, Vao slammed on the breaks, launching Weiss off the car. He climbed out, breaking into a sprint. Y/N chased after him, leaning forward into his run with his katana dragging behind him. He dodged a devastating swing from the massive battleaxe, striking at Vao's exposed back with his katana.

CLINK!

Vao had deflected the blow, kicking Y/N in between the legs with his prosthetic. The feeling of steel digging into his privates dropped him like a stone. Weiss was charging forward, using her glyphs to maximize her speed. Y/N looked up in horror. "Weiss! Don't go toe to toe with Vao!"

Vao sidestepped her rapier, slamming his forehead into hers. Weiss stumbled back, clutching the bruise tightly. Vao slammed his axe into the ground and started swinging his fists, landing punch after punch, knocking Weiss back. The heiress didn't think he could hit that hard; Vao was scrawny. One final punch was all it took to send her flying backwards, Vao retrieving his weapon and slinging it over his shoulder, cracking his neck.

Y/N ran to Weiss and helped her back to her feet, checking on her injuries. Vao had left bruises, and her nose looked broken. "Vao got into Beacon for his combat scores alone! We need a plan!" He explained quickly. The femboy was standing around and waiting for them, a smirk on his face. Y/N wracked his brain, trying to form a strategy.

He was faster than Vao, but that was the only advantage he had. Vao was physically stronger, and his weapon had been made to maximize his destructive force. Coupled with his Semblance and frequent use of explosives, Vao was dangerous. Not nearly as bad as Rojo or Verde, but still someone Y/N had to be careful around. He didn't have time to think any further - Vao had grown impatient and was running towards him with his axe held high, laughing loudly.

CLANG!

Y/N felt his feet sink into the ground as he blocked Vao's weapon, his katana bending slightly under it's monstrous weight. He felt the vibrations shooting painfully down his arms, shaking as he tried to hold him back. Vao laughed again.

"We can do this the easy way or the Vao way, bruv! You let me go, or I put you in the hospital!"

"I'm not letting you go after Ruby!"

"Vao way it is then!" Grimm Demise began to spark, and before Y/N could get out of the way, the blade exploded with electricity. Y/N felt the current rip through his body, almost crippling him. Weiss regained her senses, circling around Vao and attempting to attack him from behind. Vao kicked his prosthetic out towards her.

BANG!

Weiss felt the shotgun pellets dig into her skin, knocking her back. Vao had shot her with his foot. The femboy backflipped away, twirling his weapon like a baton. He was smiling victoriously. "Like wot I did to my robot leg?"

Vao swung his leg in an arc, launching some sort of ball towards her. Before it reached, Yang came speeding in, punching the grenade away. It exploded in the air as Yang screeched to a halt, hopping off her bike with Cardin. She lowered her sunglasses, staring at Vao in shock. "Did he... Modify his prosthetic!?"

Y/N hissed as he climbed back to his feet. He wouldn't put it past Vao to do something like that. Even if he was dumb, Vao was fully capable of engineering. After all, they had all built their own weapons in Signal; to Vao, his prosthetic was nothing more than an extra weapon. Vao kicked his leg out again, throwing grenades left and right. Y/N ran forward, slicing them in half as he tried to reach Vao. Their blades clashed, sparks flying everywhere.

"Vao, think about this! You're going to get yourself killed!"

"I can take on a little girl, mate!" Vao snarled back. "Salem's using Ruby's body! I can square up against that little Speed Monster any day of the week!"

Y/N flipped over another devastating swing, Vao ducking underneath his counter attack. Yang and Weiss were attacking Vao from a distance, firing icicles and shotgun pellets at him while he practically danced around them. Vao dry fired his rocket launcher, propelling himself into the air and slamming a rocket into the chamber. He fired at them, the explosion catching Yang by surprise. The blonde was sent spinning into a parked car, crushing the hood under her weight. Weiss was screaming and patting down her dress, trying to snuff out the flames. Cardin charged with a war cry, tackling Vao as he landed.

SLAM! SLAM!

Cardin's knuckles dug deep into Vao's girly face, making his head spin. The femboy vanished into a cloud of ash, catching Cardin off guard.

"Yep, still like golf! FORE!"

Vao pelted Cardin away with the flat end of his axe, sending the ginger flying. Y/N growled. He was taking them down one by one! He gripped his weapon tighter, charging again. Vao saw him a mile away, planting his axe into the ground and shoveling out a cloud of dust and debris. Using the smokescreen, he grabbed Y/N and began to spin. The katana-wielder could feel his shirt lifting up his chest as gravity began to take effect, Vao laughing loudly.

"Nyahahaha! Have a nice flight, tosser!"

He let go of Y/N's ankles, sending his younger brother flying. As Y/N skidded across the pavement, he could see Vao stumbling around. He was dizzy. Now was his chance. He picked his katana up again, breaking out into a full sprint. He unleashed hell on Vao, a flurry of blade that the femboy couldn't keep up with even if he wasn't dizzy. The katana cut into Vao's skin, destroying his shirt. And pressing the barrel of his rifle into his brother's chest, he shot a Dust round into Vao's body, ice forming where he had been hit. Vao screamed in pain, scratching at the ice.

"Ow! Ow! That's cold! That's cold!" He wailed. "Alright, I've had it! You're wasting my time!"

Vao aimed his rocket launcher at Y/N, the katana-wielder ducking for cover. But Vao never loaded it; dry firing the weapon again, he launched himself down the street at breakneck speeds. He was getting away. Y/N growled, hopping on Yang's motorcycle and gunning it after him. He picked up his scroll, dialing his aunt.

["Y/N! We're almost there!"]

"Change of plans! Vao's using the recoil on his weapon to escape! I'm sending a signal from my scroll, follow it!" He hung up, pressing an icon that activated his GPS. On the map he could see Raven do a U-turn, speeding towards them. He maxed out the speedometer, pulling next to Vao. The femboy was having a blast.

"This is kind of fun! I feel like I'm flying!" He cheered, firing another dry shot.

"Vao, stop! If I have to hurt you, I will!"

"See, that's where we're different, mate! You sit on your lazy arse, planning! I take the fight to our enemies!"

"Our enemies are going to kill you!"

Vao's face twisted in rage. "I don't care! Salem killed Verde! Do you know how that makes me feel!? I feel like I failed as a boyfriend!"

Y/N didn't know what Vao was talking about. "Who told you Verde died!?"

"Cardin's team! That Russel guy! He told me I got her killed because I never cared about anything but myself!"

Cardin's team. Notorious bullies, they had taken advantage of Vao for all the times he had conned them out of money, or just straight up robbed them. Y/N shook his head furiously. "No, Vao! Verde made a full recovery!"

"You would have told me!"

"We wanted to surprise you!"

"Stop lying, you absolute muppet!" Vao kicked out his prosthetic again, shotgun pellets chipping the paint off the motorcycle. Vao was glaring at him. "She was going unconscious at random! And the doctors refused to tell me what her condition was! You can't lie to me, Y/N! Verde died! And I... I-I..."

Vao looked like he was about to have a breakdown. Raising his weapon, he screamed with tears in his eyes.

"And it's my fault for being a fucking drunk!"

CRUNCH!

Vao cleaved through the motorcycle, nearly hitting Y/N. They were launched forward, grappling each other in the air. They were only separated when they hit the road, bouncing down the street. Vao charged at Y/N with his fists raised, swinging furiously at his younger brother while he dodged.

"I've always felt useless! I can't read, I can't write! The only thing I'm any good at is drinking and fighting! And I'm bullied for it every day!" Vao screamed furiously. He grabbed Y/N by the shirt, tearing it to pieces and punching him in the gut. Y/N felt his lunch spew from his mouth, staining the ground. "I'm nothing but dead weight! If it wasn't for me, we would have won the Vytal Festival Tourney! If it wasn't for me, we'd be the best team in Beacon! If I had paid more attention, Verde wouldn't be dead!"

Y/N had no idea Vao felt that way. He always thought his older brother had an ego, but now he was facing the harsh reality; Vao was just acting. Like he did with his part-time job. Vao kicked Y/N in the shin, dropping him to the ground and following up with a bone-breaking blow to the face. Y/N collapsed to the ground, rolling to his feet. Vao was flipping out, stomping his feet and throwing his hands in the air.

"I'm sick of it! Sick of it all! I don't care if I die! I'll be taking Salem with me!" He was screaming. "And if that means beating you to a bloody pulp, then so be it! Fight me, Y/N! Fight me now!"

He was throwing a tantrum. Y/N knew that was dangerous - Vao wasn't holding back. He was now beginning to see why Vao was Junior's hired muscle; when he lost his temper, he was borderline terrifying. The femboy reared his head back and screamed with battle lust, charging forward. He grabbed Y/N by the hips and lifted him off the ground, leaping into the air and slamming him back down. Y/N coughed violently as he tried to heal himself with his Semblance. There was only one way out of this. And that was to beat Vao in a fist fight. He groaned as he stood back up, his abs sore and battered, and his face beginning to swell.

It wasn't likely that he would win. Vao could easily overpower him with his monstrous strength. He wasn't as strong as Sasha, but he was still strong. They charged at each other again, throwing their own punches. Their knuckles met, nearly breaking under their shared force. They kicked each other, their calves colliding.

They were simultaneously blocking and attacking each other, unable to land a hit. They were the same. As it had always been, it was Y/N and Vao locked in a duel.

Raven could see them fighting, pushing down the pedal as far as it would go. Verde, Weiss, and Junior clung to the seats for their lives. "M-Ms. Branwen, what are you doing!?" Verde shrieked. Raven narrowed her eyes and gritted her teeth, gunning the engine straight for Vao. The femboy spotted them from where he was fighting, turning around and diving for his weapon.

He knew he wouldn't win against several opponents. Especially a trained Huntress and his boss. He pointed the weapon at the ground and dry fired again, launching himself straight into the air, and blasted himself over the buildings, disappearing from sight. Y/N tried to chase Vao, but quickly lost sight of him. As Raven's car screeched to a halt, the woman was desperately trying to open a portal. But it wasn't working.

"F-fuck! He cut off our bond!" She screamed. Y/N climbed into the car, pointing in the direction Vao had taken off.

"The industrial district! He's going for the industrial district!"

...

Vao soared through the night sky, his face filled with fury as he scanned the warehouses. And finally, he spotted what he was looking for. Outside a certain one, he could see a hooded figure standing outside and enjoying a cigarette. At least he was, until Vao came in like a meteor and flattened him into the ground. Vao turned to the doors and kicked them open, stomping inside.

There were cultists everywhere. All of them stared at him in surprise before drawing their weapons, stopping Vao in his tracks. He didn't think there would be this many. Of course, he didn't really think about any of this. The cultists began to squeeze the triggers of their weapons...

"Stop."

In an instant, they released their grips and bowed their heads. And with the click of boots, Vao saw her step around the corner.

"Ruby," he snarled. The shorter figure smirked, her hands on her hips.

"Well, well... Vao Dusty Branwen. You've come alone," she commented. Her face soured. "Like a damned fool. That is so very like you."

Vao readied his weapon. Suddenly a sense of dread washed over him as he began to walk towards her. He stopped within a dozen feet of her, glaring spitefully. Ruby seemed amused.

"... Ah. So you wish to fight. I suppose it's after what happened to that Forest girl. Tis a shame; all she wanted was to protect you..."

"Shut yer mouth, slag. We've got a score to settle."

Ruby hummed thoughtfully, circling around him, looking him up and down. "... A score, eh? So this isn't about being a hero?"

"I don't care about any of that," Vao growled, his eyes never leaving her. "I've never cared about being a hero. I just wanted to have fun with my life. And the most fun I ever had was with Verde, before you killed her."

Ruby almost laughed. "So it is revenge that brings you here, to your final resting place? Some petty grudge because a pitifully weak and pathetic girl died?"

Vao almost attacked her on the spot. He snorted, spitting mucus at Ruby. It landed on the ground next to her foot. "Don't talk that way about Verde, bitch."

Ruby scowled in disgust. "Vulgar little..." She sighed, running a hand across her face. "... It is your fault, you realize?"

Vao froze. That was exactly what he had told Y/N. He wondered if it was that obvious, that even Salem recognized it. Ruby looked up at him, her hands reaching for her scythe.

"Vao Branwen, the problem child of Beacon Academy. Always so quick to jump to violence. Always drinking. Before you met Verde, how much did you really care for your friends? For yourself? You bullied them, and then grew upset when they bullied you for your leg. You're nothing more than a comic relief, Vao. You aren't made for fights; you're made to be a joke. And Verde? She had to have been the biggest fool to see anything attractive in you."

The moment she insulted Verde was when Vao lost it. With a scream he attacked, slamming his axe against Ruby's scythe, driving her back. Salem found itself surprised.

He was thin and girly. And yet with one blow, he managed to make its host slide backwards. It growled under it's breath. He wasn't capable of killing it on his own. But at the very least, he wasn't about to make things boring. They charged at each other once again, the cultists fleeing as their weapons clashed together.

Ruby dodged a kick from Vao's prosthetic, a shotgun blast exploding from his heel. "Oh, so you modified it. I wonder where you got the inspiration from..."

"Met some grey haired douche bag a while back! He had two!" Vao shouted. "But this is of my own make! Think fast, cunt!"

Ruby caught the ball that flew from his heel, staring at it for a moment. And a second later, it exploded in her hands. Ruby was sent spinning away, Vao already pushing towards her. She rolled out of the way as his axe carved into the concrete ground, sending cracks nearly five feet away from him.

Ruby breathed hard. There was no way this idiot was actually holding his own. Salem wondered if he was even going to force it out of its host. If he did that, he'd only be sealing his fate. It wracked it's brain, forming an awful idea. If Vao was here alone, then Y/N would be chasing him. He wouldn't be far away. Ruby grinned, settling on that horrible idea, charging forward with her scythe.

CLANG! CLANG!

Vao struggled to keep up with Ruby's sheer speed. Teleporting above, his feet landed on the catwalk, his weapon transforming into its rocket launcher function. He slammed an explosive down the barrel, aimed, and squeezed the trigger without a moment of hesitation.

BOOM!

The warehouse trembled under the shockwave, Ruby nearly losing her balance as she screamed at him. "Are you a fucking retard!? You'll take down the entire warehouse!" Bit Vao was beyond reason, laughing his ass off as he continued to hurl rockets at her.

"Oh, you filthy slag! You've no idea how much I want to see you squirm! I don't care if you're using my sister's body! Because she's dead too, right!?"

Ruby dodged another rocket, aiming her sniper rifle at the chains that held the catwalk to the ceiling. With one shot, the chain snapped and the platform dropped, sending Vao tumbling down to the ground. Ruby dashed forward, swinging her scythe like a maniac while Vao deflected blow after blow.

"Stand... Still!" Ruby screeched. But Vao spat in her face, catching her by surprise. He swung his prosthetic in between he legs as hard as he could, nearly dropping the host to the floor. If it hadn't been for Salem occupying her body, Ruby would have been out of the fight. Ruby reared her head back, slamming it into his chest.

Vao stumbled backwards, struggling to breath. Ruby had never been that strong. The realization dawned on him like the morning sun; Salem was enhancing Ruby's capabilities, just as it's blood had done to Verde. Ruby swung her scythe at his neck, almost taking his head clean off. Vao got lucky by teleporting. But as his feet touched the ground, he could feel his legs wobbling. He was overusing his Teleport. If he tried again, he'd be paralyzed for a day - more than enough time for Ruby to kill him. He gritted his teeth; he'd have to do this without his Semblance. He kicked out his prosthetic again - only to hear a clicking sound. He was out of grenades and shotgun shells. He could feel panic rising in his chest. Things weren't looking good for him. And he only had one rocket left. He was beginning to regret wasting his resources on Y/N.

Salem knew this. It could see his terror. Parading Ruby's body like a puppet, it launched forward with the scythe raised at waist level. Vao moved to deflect the blow, but Ruby changed trajectory in an instant.

SLASH!

Vao felt his left side falling, collapsing one the floor. His last rocket flew from his pocket, bouncing out of reach. And when he looked down at his leg, he nearly screamed. Salem had destroyed his prosthetic, crippling him. Ruby was already on top of him, slamming her scythe down. Vao's arms trembled as he blocked blow after blow, the tip of the gardening tool coming centimeters from his face.

He rolled out of the way of a final strike, crawling towards his rocket on all threes. His fingers wrapped around the explosive, slamming it down the barrel. This was his last chance, he realized. Y/N had been right; he was going to die. He shakily aimed down the sights, locking on to the approaching abomination. And with a deep breath, he squeezed the trigger as he released.

The rocket sailed past Ruby's head and out of the windows high above, exploding into the night sky. Ruby jumped on him, her hands wrenching his Grimm Demise from his hands. Vao screamed as the scythe buried itself into his chest, missing anything vital. Salem didn't want to kill him; just make sure he couldn't move. She shot his shoulder, the limb twitching and unable to pull Vao up. And putting it away, she began to stomp the life out of him.

"Die! Die! Die, you useless piece of shit!" Ruby screeched. "Die in vain! You never stood a chance, Branwen!"

By the time she got off of him, Vao's bones had been broken. He groaned in pain, wishing he had never came here. But Ruby wasn't finished. She reached into his pocket, fishing out his Dust. The same Dust he was using for his weapon. She held it up in front of him, smiling with glee.

"I never really liked this stuff. It was always useless to me. But now, I've found a use for it!" She reached her hand into the bag, sprinkling the powder on his left side before hopping away. She didn't have much time. Y/N would have seen the explosion. He'd be there any minute. She sprinted towards the catwalk, ascending the stairs. And drawing her weapon, she aimed down the sights of the sniper rifle.

And waited.

...

Y/N and Weiss had split off from Raven's group, sprinting down the streets as they searched desperately for Vao. And when a rocket lit up the sky, Weiss pointed. "There! It came from that building!"

Together they ran. They could see the warehouse, now. The doors kicked open, and cracks in the pavement. Y/N stormed inside with the heiress at his side, frantically scanning the floor. And the. He saw him. Vao was on the ground bleeding, trying to roll over.

"V-Vao!"

The moment he heard his voice, Vao looked up in sheer horror. Finally he understood Salem's plan. As Y/N ran towards him, Vao screamed. Begged.

"N-no! Y/N! Get away from me!"

Weiss saw it. The sparkling red powder that covered Vao's left side. Reaching her arms out, she pulled Y/N out of the way, shoving him to the floor and diving on top of him just as Ruby fired her shot. The bullet struck Vao, igniting the explosive Dust. As it sizzled and burned his leg, Vao screamed in pain.

Y/N watched in horror as Vao exploded, the entire warehouse filling with smoke and debris.

This couldn't be happening.

This wasn't real. It was just a nightmare.

But as Y/N ran through the smoke, he knew that it was real.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 46.3K 52
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
4.5K 62 7
An Azur Lane alternate universe story. Story inspired by the fanfiction video on YouTube created by Ryuma Brunestud Enterprise's Past (Enterprise Fan...
5.1K 186 34
The everyday thought's, dreams, wishes, of this girl right here.
19.6K 14 1
You are are human born with powers that are like sans from undertale. One day you were sitting by a tree all of a sudden a aura appears out of nowher...