Bravely Courageous

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Marguerite, better known as Maggie, and her brother are no strangers to the supernatural. Long before a loca... More

Aesthetics
Epigraph
01
02
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65

03

61 1 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

At school, Scott and Caleb met up with Stiles who asked, "So you killed her?"

"I don't know," Scott replied. "I just woke up. And I was sweating like crazy, and I couldn't breathe. I've never had a dream where I woke up like that before."

"I have," Caleb said. "Not pleasant."

Stiles glanced at his best friend. "Really? I have. Usually ends a little differently."

""A," I meant I've never had a dream that felt that real, and "B," never give me or Caleb, or Maggie, that much detail about you in bed again."

"Noted. Let me take a guess here-"

"No, I know, you think it has something to do with me going out with Allison tomorrow, like I'm gonna lose control and rip her throat out."

"No, of course not. Yeah, that's totally it. Hey, come on, it's gonna be fine, all right? Personally, I think you're handling this pretty freakin' amazingly. You know, it's not like there's a lycanthropy class you can take."

"Yeah, not a class, but maybe a teacher."

Caleb frowned. "Who, Derek? Aren't you forgetting the part where you two got him tossed in jail?"

"You and your sister were there too."

"Yeah, and whose idea was it to dig up half a body?"

Scott nodded, then said, "Yeah, I know, but chasing her, dragging her to the back of the bus, it felt so real."

"How real?"

"Like it actually happened."

They made their way outside to see a bus that looked like a supernatural creature had attacked it.

In sync, Stiles and Caleb said, "I think it did."

Stiles glanced at Scott. "She's probably fine."

"She's not answering my texts, Stiles, Caleb," Scott said as he began panicking.

They walked back into the school and Stiles replied, "It could just be a coincidence, all right? A seriously amazing coincidence."

"Just help me find her, okay? Do either of you see her?"

"No," Stiles and Caleb replied.

Scott walked off to look for Allison.

Stiles turned to Caleb with a slightly worried expression. "Do you think..."

Caleb cut him off. "Nah, just coincidence."

A voice sounded over the loudspeaker. "Attention, students, this is your principal. I know you're all wondering about the incident that occurred last night to one of our buses. While the police work to determine what happened, classes will proceed as scheduled."

Caleb pointed across the way. "Seems like he found her. I better make sure Maggie is behaving herself."

They entered the classroom and sat down.

Scott looked at Jackson who asked, "What are you looking at, asswipe?"

Maggie whispered, "Prurit collo tuo."

(Itch your neck. (Latin))

Instantly, Jackson itched his neck, looking around with a frown. Caleb shot his sister a look and she smiled sweetly.

"Maybe it was my blood on the door," Scott guessed.

"Could have been animal blood," Stiles said. "You know, maybe you caught a rabbit or something."

"And did what?"

"Ate it."

"Raw?"

"No, you stopped to bake it in a little werewolf oven. I don't know, you're the one who can't remember anything."

Maggie glanced back at the boys. "You two need to shut it. Someone might hear your weird conversation."

"Mr. Stilinski, Miss Hawthorne, if that's your idea of a hushed whisper, you might want to pull the headphones out every once in a while. I think you two, Mr. Hawthorne and Mr. McCall would benefit from a little distance, yes?"

Maggie hit her head on her desk, irritated she'd gotten in trouble as Stiles replied, "No."

Harris instructed them to move and Maggie glared daggers at Scott and Stiles as she sat in her new desk.

"Let me know if the separation anxiety gets to be too much," Harris said.

Maggie raised her hand. "The separation anxiety is far too much."

"Too bad."

"Hey, I think they found something," Harley suddenly called.

Students gathered at the window and Scott said, "That's not a rabbit."

"Okay," Stiles noted. "This is good, this is good. He got up, he's not dead. Dead guys can't do that."

"Stiles, Maggie, Caleb - I did that."

Caleb shook his head. "But dreams aren't memories."

"Then it wasn't a dream. Something happened last night, and I can't remember what."

"What makes you so sure that Derek even has all the answers?" Stiles asked.

"Because during the full moon he wasn't changed. He was in total control while I was running around in the middle of the night attacking some totally innocent guy."

"You don't know that. I can't go out with Allison. I have to cancel."

Maggie glanced at him. "No, you're not cancelling, all right? You can't just cancel your entire life. If Caleb and I did that, we'd have no life. We'll figure it out."

They entered the cafeteria and Lydia, who'd heard the tail end of what Maggie had said, asked, "Figure what out?"

"Just, uh, homework," Scott lied.

"Yeah," Stiles agreed. "Why is she sitting with us?"

Maggie raised a brow. "Don't be so sexist."

"I'm not being sexist."

Scott noticed Allison walking up and moved his backpack from the spot next to him.

"Thanks," Allison said.

Jackson walked up and ordered to a guy at the end, "Get up."

"How come you never ask Danny to get up?" The guy asked.

"Because I don't stare at his girlfriend's coin slot," Danny replied. "So I hear they're saying it's some type of animal attack. Probably a cougar."

"I heard mountain lion," Jackson said.

Lydia frowned. "A cougar is a mountain lion. Isn't it?"

Caleb nodded. "Yeah Lydia, it is."

"Who cares?" Jackson retorted. "The guy's probably some homeless tweaker who's gonna die anyway."

"Actually, I just found out who it is," Stiles said. "Check it out."

"The Sheriff's department won't speculate on details of the incident but confirmed the victim, Garrison Meyers, did survive the attack. Meyers was taken to a local hospital where he remains in critical condition."

Scott said, "I know this guy."

"You do?" Allison asked.

"Yeah, when I used to take the bus back when I lived with my dad. He was the driver."

Lydia looked between the group. "Can we talk about something slightly more fun, please? Like, oh, where are we going tomorrow night?" She turned to Allison. "You said you and Scott were hanging out tomorrow night, right?"

"Um, we were thinking of what we were gonna do," Allison replied.

"Well, I am not sitting home again watching lacrosse videos, so if the four of us are hanging out, we are doing something fun. Six if Caleb and Maggie join."

Stiles narrowed his eyes. "Maggie has plans."

Maggie shot Stiles a look and the two had a silent argument before Stiles looked away with a frown. With a triumphant smile, Maggie said,  "No, we don't. Consider us in. But my brother and I will be partners."

"Hanging out?" Scott asked. "Like the four, five of us? Do you want to hang out, like us and them?"

"Yeah, I guess so," Allison replied.

"You know what else sounds fun?" Jackson shot back. "Do you wanna hang to, like us and them?"

Maggie debated muttering a spell, but she figured one was enough for the time being. Besides; her brother would scold her if she did another.

"How 'bout bowling?" Lydia suggested, glancing at Jackson. "You love to bowl."

"Yeah, with actual competition," Jackson shot back.

"How do you know we're not actual competition?" Allison asked, turning to Scott. "You can bowl, right?"

"Sort of," Scott replied.

Jackson narrowed his eyes. "Is it sort of, or yes?"

"Yes. In fact, I'm a great bowler."

"Oh my God," Maggie muttered.

As Maggie, Caleb, Scott and Stiles walked down the stairs, Stiles said, "You're a terrible bowler."

"I know!" Scott exclaimed. "I'm such an idiot."

"God, it was like watching a car wreck. I mean, first it turned into the whole group date thing. And then out of nowhere comes that phrase."

"Hang out."

"You don't hang out with hot girls, okay? Well, except maybe Maggie. But she's not hot. She's um... I don't know, beautiful, stunning. Don't kill me, Caleb. Um, anyway it's like death. Once it's hanging out, you might as well be her gay best friend. You and Danny can start hanging out."

"How is this happening? I either killed a guy or I didn't."

Stiles frowned. "I don't think Danny likes me very much."

"I ask Allison on a date, and now we're hanging out."

"Am I not attractive to gay guys?"

"I make first line, and the team captain wants to destroy me, and now -- now I'm gonna be late for work."

"Wait, Scott, you didn't - am I attractive to gay guy - you didn't answer my question," Stiles said. "Maggie! Caleb! Am I attractive to gay guys?!"

Maggie met his eyes and shrugged. "Grow your hair out a little and then ask. Catch you later."

She and Caleb started walking away and Stiles grabbed her wrist. As she pulled it away, she asked, "What?"

Stiles bit his lip nervously before saying, "Be careful, okay?"

"Stiles, I'm gonna be with my brother. It'll be fine."

"Yeah, I know, but-"

"Stiles, relax. Why are you being so weird?"

"I don't- Never mind."

"Uh, okay. See you later. Have fun."

Maggie and Caleb walked away.

Stiles stared after them, mentally cursing himself for how he'd let his feelings for a girl who clearly didn't feel the same way show.

---

That evening a knock sounded on her bedroom door and Maggie said, "Door's open."

The door opened, revealing Caleb who said, "Scott and Stiles need us. Something about the bus driver. Wanna come?"

She glanced at her clock. "We've got time."

---

The two joined Scott and Stiles and made their way to the bus.

Scott got out of the Jeep and Stiles, Maggie and Caleb began following.

"Hey, no, just me. Someone needs to keep watch. Three people would be more preferable."

Stiles frowned. "How come I'm always the guy keeping watch?"

"Because there's only four of us, and someone should make sure you and Maggie don't do anything too illegal."

"Okay, why's it starting to feel like you're Batman and we're Robin? Maggie, Caleb and I don't want to be Robin all the time."

Maggie turned to Stiles. "Robin? No, I'm Scarlet Witch. Caleb is like Doctor Strange. Sort of. And I think Scott actually has a pretty smart idea. Someone should keep watch, and you and I both know leaving you and Caleb unsupervised could only mean trouble."

"Trouble finds us both, Maggie. Caleb is the most responsible of us three. Unfortunately."

Caleb grinned and bowed mockingly. "Thank you."

"Nobody's Batman and Robin any of the time," Scott told them.

"Not even some of the time?" Stiles asked.

"Can I still be Scarlet Witch?" Maggie asked.

"Just stay here," Scott instructed. "Maggie, watch him. Caleb, watch them."

"Oh, my God!" Stiles cried. "Fine. I don't need a babysitter, Scott!"

"Wait, Scott, you didn't answer my question," Maggie said. "Can I be -- He's gone."

Stiles glanced at the blonde and smiled lightly. "You can be Scarlet Witch."

Stile, Maggie and Caleb got back in the Jeep and she rested her feet on the dashboard as she rested her eyes.

"Cop lights," Caleb suddenly said. "Come on - come on-"

Scott ran up and climbed into the Jeep as he yelled, "Go! Go! Go! Go!"

"Did it work?" Stiles asked. "Did you remember?"

"Yeah, I was there last night. And the blood - a lot of it was mine."

"So you did attack him?"

"No. I saw glowing eyes in the bus, but they weren't mine. It was Derek."

"What about the driver?" Maggie questioned.

"I think I was actually trying to protect him."

"Hang on, why would Derek help you remember that he attacked the driver? That makes no sense. He's just putting blame on himself, so why would he do that?"

"That's what I don't get."

"It's got to be a pack thing," Stiles guessed.

"What do you mean?"

"Like an initiation. You do the kill together."

"Because ripping someone's throat out is a real bonding experience?"

"Yeah, but you didn't do it, which means you're not a killer. And it also means that-"

"I can go out with Allison."

"I was gonna say it means you won't kill me, Caleb or Maggie."

"Oh, yeah. That too."

---

Lydia was sifting through Allison's closet as she said, "Mmm, pass. Pass. Let me see. Pass. Pass. Uh, pass on all of it. Allison, respect for your taste is, uh, dwindling by the second." She held up a dark shirt. "This."

Allison turned at the figure who'd entered the room. "Dad, hello?"

"Right," Chris said. "I'm sorry. I completely forgot to knock."

Lydia laid on the bed and smiled. "Hi, Mr. Argent."

"Dad, do you need something?" Allison asked.

"I just wanted to tell you that you'll be staying in tonight," Chris told his daughter.

"What? I'm going out with my friends tonight."

"Not when some animal out there is attacking people."

"Dad, Dad, I'm - uh-"

"It's out of my hands. There's a curfew. No one's allowed out past 9:30 P.M. Hey, no more arguing." He walked away.

"Someone's daddy's little girl," Lydia commented.

Allison pursed her lips. "Sometimes. But not tonight." She put on a beanie and opened her window.

"What are you doing?"

"Eight years gymnastics." She flipped onto the ground. "Are you coming?"

"I'll take the stairs," Lydia decided.

The strawberry blonde walked down the stairs.

---

They made their way to the bowling alley, meeting up with Maggie and Caleb.

The six teens started a game and Scott said, "You look like you know what you're doing. Tabitha, of course, is showing off."

"Used to bowl a lot with my dad," Allison replied. "When was the last time you bowled?"

"Uh, at a birthday party - When I was eight."

Maggie smirked. "I remember that. Caleb and I easily beat you."

"I'm so bad at this," Lydia said, noticing how well Allison, Caleb and Maggie were doing. "Somebody brought their "A" game."

Allison got a strike and Scott complimented, "Nice job."

"You're up, McCall," Jackson stated.

"You can do it, Scott," Allison encouraged, turning to Lydia's date. "Jackson? Mind shutting up?"

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm just flashing back to the words "I'm a great bowler.""

"Maybe he just needs a little warm-up."

"Yeah, maybe he just needs the kiddy bumpers."

Maggie shot Jackson a look before turning to her friend. "Just aim for the middle."

"How about you aim for anything except for the gutter?" Jackson taunted as Aaron laughed.

Allison glared at the two boys. "Let him concentrate."

"Come on, just one pin, please," Scott whispered.

Scott once again missed and Jackson said, "Great job, McCall. Man, you are a definitely a pro."

Caleb shot Jackson a look. "Can it, Whittemore."

"Don't worry," Allison reassured. "We only just started." She walked up to her date. "Scott. You're thinking too much."

"I know, I'm sorry. I'm ruining this," Scott said.

"No, no, not at all, but I wouldn't mind shutting them up, so just clear your head and think about something else."

"Like what?"

"Anything." She thought for a moment and leaned close to his ear. "Think about me. Naked."

Scott grinned and the game suddenly clicked.

"What did you say to him?" Lydia asked curiously.

"Uh, I just gave him something to think about," Allison replied.

"Well done," Maggie commented in a faux serious tone.

Allison grinned. "That is seriously amazing. Jackson, uh, how many strikes is that?"

"It's six," Jackson said. "In a row."

"Maybe it's the natural talent."

"I could use some natural talent," Lydia stated as she turned to the werewolf. "You mind helping me out this time, Scott?"

Scott shook his head. "No, you're good. Go for it."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence. Caleb?"

He shook his head. "Nah, but you should quit pretending you don't know how to play."

"Hey, I'll help," Jackson offered, standing behind her.

"How about I just try this on my own?" She bowled and turned to the others. "I think I'm getting the hang of it."

"That was sort of perfect form," Allison said.

"Was it?"

Maggie rolled her eyes, irritated with how dumb Lydia kept acting. "Maybe you should stop pretending to suck for his benefit. You don't need to dumb yourself down."

Lydia narrowed her eyes slightly. "Trust me, I do plenty of sucking just for his benefit."

"I didn't ask for that image."

BOWLING ALLEY ARCADE

"Nice shot, man," Scott complimented. "Listen. I know we both didn't want to be here. But the thing is, we don't have to hate each other."

"I don't hate you," Jackson replied. "I just don't believe you. You know, you got everyone thinking everything's fine and normal about you, but I know something's off. You cheated tonight."

"How do you cheat in bowling?"

"I don't know, but you did. And I don't know if it's steroids or something weirder. I'm guessing something weirder since it's pretty obvious that your a freak. So don't think for a second I've given up on finding out what your little secret is. Or Maggie and Caleb's. You think I haven't noticed how they're always looking around like they know more than you think?"

"I don't have any secrets, and neither do Maggie and Caleb."

"Yeah, you three do. And here's the other thing. I don't know why, but I think whatever it is you're hiding, you don't want her to find out about it, either."

---

On their way home, Maggie and Caleb saw a cop car whiz past. They exchanged a look and soon, the Jeep came by.

Stiles rolled down his window. "I'm headed to Scott's. You two in?"

Caleb nodded. "Absolutely."

---

The three made their way to Scott's house just as Melissa pulled into her driveway.

Stiles, Maggie and Caleb climbed up a tree and the former opened the window. Stiles entered Scott's room through the window, then Caleb, and they pulled Maggie in. She slipped and hung onto the window for dear life, glaring at them.

Stiles and Caleb pulled her up and muttered, "Sorry."

Maggie swatted their chests. "Please don't kill me."

Melissa walked into Scott's room and said, "Hey, Scott, I'm gonna go to - sleep. Seriously, Stiles, Maggie, Caleb, what the hell are you three doing here?" She was armed with a wooden bat.

"What are we doing?" Stiles asked. "God, do any of you even play baseball?"

"What?" She noticed her son in her peripheral. "Can you please tell your friends to use the front door?"

"But we lock the front door," Scott replied as he entered his room. "They wouldn't be able to get in."

"Yeah, exactly. And, by the way, do either of you care that there's a police-enforced curfew?"

"No," Stiles, Scott, Maggie and Caleb answered.

"No. All right then. Well, you know what? That's about enough parenting for me for one night, so good night." She walked away.

"What?" Scott asked.

"My dad left for the hospital 15 minutes ago," Stiles told them. "It's the bus driver. They said he succumbed to his wounds."

"Succumbed?" Scott repeated, confused.

"He's dead, Scott."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 79 18
(THIS STORY IS OLD, I'VE WRITTEN IT WHEN I WAS ONLY TWELVE AND THE CHAPTERS AREN'T EDITED, SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN JUST GO AWAY๐Ÿ˜‚) Hey, before...
538K 12.6K 42
--I DON'T OWN TEEN WOLF THAT RIGHT GOES TO JEFF DAVIS WHO IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, THE ONLY PEOPLE I OWN IN THE STORY IS FREY, RIKA, ERIK, FINN, AND MI...
27K 1.1K 27
"๐’”๐’๐’Ž๐’†๐’๐’๐’† ๐’•๐’๐’๐’Œ ๐’•๐’‰๐’†๐’Š๐’“ ๐’ƒ๐’Š๐’•๐’„๐’‰ ๐’‘๐’Š๐’๐’๐’” ๐’•๐’‰๐’Š๐’” ๐’Ž๐’๐’“๐’๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ." Dylan goes from running with one sketchy crowd to another. She c...
126K 2.7K 54
( ON HOLD ) After being away from Beacon Hills for six years, Marlo Stilinski finally returns but with secrets, talents and a certain someone in her...