Drowning Emotions (Isla Serie...

By sintamis

ISLA SERIES #5 
Marco, the luckiest surfer in the island but was unlucky when it comes to love. Rejected cou... More

Drowning Emotions (Isla Series #5)
PROLOGUE
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
EPILOGUE
Author's note

25

800 26 4
By sintamis

"Have you heard? Si Reyes ang kalaban mo."

Pinatay ko ang blender para mas marinig nang maayos ang sinasabi ni Cadmus, Cali's brother. We were here at home to discuss the case against the Valmoridas. Hanggang ngayon, 'di pa rin nagigising si Manu.

"Sorry, come again?" I asked, wiping the sides of the blender because the contents spilled a little.

"You're against Reyes for this case. He's Benjamin's lawyer," balita sa akin ni KD.

Pinindot ko pinakamahina na button ng blender para matapos na ang pag-blend ng berry. Gumagawa kasi ako ng protein bowl. I was also making one for Kie with lots of fruits. Kung gaano niya kaayaw sa gulay, ganoon siya kahilig sa prutas.

"Sino na Reyes? Daming Reyes na abogado. Be specific," I told him sternly.

"Fredericko." He let out a small laugh.

Bigla akong napangisi.

I turned the blender off. I got a bowl so I can transfer the contents already. "Ganda naman pala ng reunion namin noon. Korte," sarkastikong sabi ko.

"Oh, classmate mo sa law?" tanong niya pero halata naman na hindi interesado. Tumango lang ako. "He had lots of cases but for some reason, it's all gone. He probably paid the higher ups. Grabe naman ang kapit niya sa taas."

"Nagtaka ka pa. Money talks, you know," I stated. "Pera-pera lang dito. Kung hindi pera, kapangyarihan at koneksyon. Ano pa ba'ng inaasahan mo? Ilang taon ka nang lawyer. You should know by now that our justice system is the worst."

"I definitely know that, so do your best to win this." His voice was laced with seriousness.

Tinaasan ko naman siya ng kilay. "You had this case for years now pero hindi mo mapanalo. Huwag mo akong i-pressure." Pabirong pinaningkitan ko siya ng mga mata.

"It's going to be easy for you. You topped the BAR," he stated as if that was enough reason.

"Mas matagal kang lawyer kaysa sa akin." Totoo naman. He had more experience than me.

"But I'm not good."

"Humble. Don't give me that sorry ass of an excuse," I stated in a harsh tone. "And don't pressure me. Baka pati ikaw ipakulong ko. Kahit wala kang kasalanan, gagawan talaga kita."

The ends of Cadmus' lips twisted a little, forming a smirk as he crossed his arms in front of his chest. "I thought you're a prosecutor. Bakit biglang libeller?" pang-aasar niya.

"I can be both. Because you see, Attorney Mercader, in law school, we study all kinds of cases. Both sides," I said with no humor. "Seriously, just don't take the case personally."

He tiredly leaned his back on the backrest of the stool he was sitting on as he fiddled with his ballpen. I tapped his chest twice before proceeding with preparing the food.

"Cali's my sister. Manu's my friend. And that bullshit of a man who assaulted her when she was high school and assaulted her best friend too, was my cousin. How can I not take it personally?" nahihirapan na tanong niya.

"And that's the reason why you never win this case." I gave him a small sad smile. "You're a good lawyer, KD. You and Alonzo basically helped me grow. Best lawyers for me. I look up to you. But you're too kind."

"I don't see the point of being harsh." He looked down on the papers, bothered.

"But at some point in life, you got to be harsh to succeed. To be heartless. To not feel. Isipin mong hindi mo kilala ang pinaglalaban mo, pero kailangan mo pa ring ipanalo para makamit ang hustisya. Hindi kailangan iyang kabaitan mo sa korte. Matatalo ka talaga."

I hear lots of people say that I was different inside the court. Most probably, they are right. I just can't be the same person while fighting for people's justice, especially with the fucked up system and people behind it. Kindness is not needed in this profession.

"Momma, I'm hungry." Sumulpot si Kie sa kusina. She tried to open the ref but she had a hard time since she was hugging her Buttercup and Blossom stuff toy.

"Come here. I made you a smoothie bowl. You will love this!" I made my tone jolly.

Sumigla naman kaagad siya at tumakbo papunta sa akin. KD carried her and effortlessly placed her in the baby chair. Dumaldal kaagad si Kie sa kaniya. Nagkasundo naman sila dahil mukhang mahilig sa bata si KD.

"Ma," tawag ni Kie sa akin. Nasa kama siya.

"Yes?" Binaba ko kaagad ang ballpen ko at dinaluhan siya.

"Momma, Nonno said that Dada's a... doctor. What's that?" She looked at me with curious eyes.

Naging hilaw ang ngiti ko. I love my dad but why does he keep on saying information about Marco to Kie?! In the end, I stopped working and replied to all my daughter's questions hanggang sa hinila na siya ng antok.

Lahat ng kailangan sa kaso inasikaso ko agad. I wasn't sleeping a wink since I was reading the files Cadmus gave me thoroughly, not wanting to skip any details. I have no room for errors. This was something I just can't do carelessly.

"Ah, Marquez. It's nice to see you again. I hope you're ready to lose this one. No hard feelings." I crossed paths with Fred in the hall. He looked so formal and clean in his tux but that won't change his filthy attitude he had since college.

"It's Prosecutor Marquez for you, Attorney Reyes," mataman na sambit ko. "Let's allow the truth to win in court, shall we?"

"What wins in court is the truth." Ngumisi siya nang makahulugan.

He was fucking right. Kasi kahit totoo iyan, kung hindi nanalo sa korte, hindi pa rin totoo.

It just made me strive harder to set all informations accordingly to events. I dig deep into Cali's hospital records from way back, got her friends and doctor as witnesses. I even made a script for her to know which questions to avoid and what words to say when being summoned. It was needed to prove that Benjamin had a record of assault.

"Kapagod," I mumbled. Nasa hospital ako. Dumalaw ako kay Manu pero lumabas muna ako dahil gusto kong magpahangin. Naupo ako sa bakanteng parking lot ng hospital. Dama ko ang pagod ng isip at katawan ko.

Hindi na ako nagtaka nang may naupo sa tabi ko. Nakita ko naman na siya kanina habang naglalakad palabas ng hospital.

"Gusto mo?" Marco offered me the popsicle he was holding.

"No, thanks." Tipid akong ngumiti sa kaniya pero hindi niya sinuklian iyon. Titig na titig lang siya sa akin.

"How's your little girl?" tanong niya, binubuksan ang balot ng popsicle.

"She's doing good," mahinang sagot ko. I did not know how to act around him because of what happened the last time we saw each other. It still bothered me how he just walked out like that with unfinished sentence.

And the pain in his face. It was stuck in my mind. It kept on playing inside. It added to my list of reasons why I cannot sleep properly at night.

"Why... Uhm..." I trailed off, lost for words.

"Hmm?" He raised a brow.

"How's Tita Amara? And your sisters? Si Leil, okay na ba? Si Ares?" Iba ang tinanong ko sa gusto kong itanong sa kaniya.

His lips formed a little smile. "Okay lang naman sila Mama, San, Zia. Si Leil, lumalaban. Inaatake pa rin paminsan-minsan ng sakit. The case with our father went... well. At some point." Mapakla siyang tumawa.

My brows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"May nangyari lang na hindi dapat nangyari."

"Like what?" I dug deeper.

"Doing something against the law," he seriously said, licking the popsicle while looking afar.

"You?" Tinuro ko siya, hindi-makapaniwala. "What did you do?" I asked warily.

"Ako talaga? Hindi ako. Hindi ako ganoon ka bobo. Ginagamit ko utak ko."

"Then if it's not you, then who?"

"Ares." He sounded so cold, even his eyes had no emotions.

Napatagilid ang ulo ko, nalilito na kung ano ba'ng nangyari sa kanila. "Ares? What have he done? Where is he right now?" sunod-sunod na tanong ko.

"Kulungan."

I gasped and my hand flew to my chest. "Ano'ng ginawa niya?" I didn't give that question up. I can help him.

Marco's lips curved up a little. "Daming tanong," natatawang sabi niya bago tumayo.

"You won't help him get out?" I stood up too, not stopping from asking.

"No," he answered in a dismissive tone. "Gusto mo mag Christmas shopping? Punta tayong mall. Tapos na duty ko ngayon," he shifted the topic quickly, and walked first.

Naglakad lang kami papunta sa mall dahil malapit lang iyon. Ilang liko lang. I was spacing out since my head was wrapped with the thought of Ares being in jail. I had lots of questions, especially because Marco didn't want to help him. Ginagawa niya ang lahat para sa pamilya niya... Why not this time?

"Dito ka nga." Marquenzo pulled my arm gently and put me on the other side of the pathway, siya sa may daan.

Hindi ako nagsalita. Maliliit ang hakbang ko kaya niliitan din niya ang steps niya. I put both my hands inside the pocket of my slacks as we walked silently. The Christmas vibes around us could almost be smelled, but here we are acting like it was Halloween.

"Are you okay? You're quiet." I couldn't help but point out. Nag-aalala ako para sa kaniya. Okay pa sa 'kin na barahin niya ako out of the blue.

Ngumiti siya. "Of course, I am okay."

That was what he was good at. Lying.

"Friends don't lie," I unconsciously blurted.

He tilted his head to the side. "We're not friends," he told me calmly.

Natigilan ako. "It was just a random thought. I wasn't pertaining to you," I found a way out of the hole I dived into. "Sana gumising na si Manu, 'no? Christmas is in a few weeks. Kawawa naman si Cali saka Azi," pag-iiba ko kaagad para masalba ang sarili sa pagkapahiya.

"Gigising iyan," he assured me.

"How sure are you?" Marco immediately arched a brow at my negativeness. I shrugged. "Look, nothing's certain. He's basically living just because of the oxygen attached to him. Paano kung tanggalin iyon? Naubusan ng oxygen nang hindi namamalayan? How sure are you he will survive?"

"Because I'm a doctor."

"And you doctors are liars."

"Offensive."

"Most of the time, you don't tell the truth to your patients. You think you are protecting them but no. You're just prolonging their pain. You're keeping their hopes up. You're pretentious."

"Si Manu pa ba pinaglalaban mo diyan?" pang-aasar niya sa akin.

"Of course." Kumunot ang noo ko. The sliding glass of the mall opened when we step in front of it. "Why can't you tell Cali the truth about it? She's been through a lot. She deserve to know the truth and prepare herself in some ways..." I felt sad thinking about it. But I was living on the realistic side of life. Not everybody survives. Not everybody is lucky.

"Sometimes lying is just easier." He gave me an aloof smile. "Besides, gigising iyon." He still sounded so confident. I just gave it up. No point in arguing about something inevitable.

Una naming pinuntahan ay Jo Malone. He was here again. May binibilhan kaya siya? Perfume naman kasi ang usual regalo sa jowa, 'di ba? Or watch. But he told Sab he's single... Why do I even care?

Bumili na lang ako ng hand wash tsaka body wash dahil ubos na iyong akin. When we were done, we went to the toy store. Hindi kami masyadong nag-uusap.

"Ano'ng hinahanap mo?" Marco asked when he saw me going through the shelfs of Disney dolls.

"Sofia the First," I answered.

"Paborito niya?" he asked. Tumango lang ako habang naghahanap. "Akala ko Powerpuff girls paborito," pang-aasar niya bigla.

"Oh my gosh! You're so funny!" I said in such an exaggerated manner. Nang lingunin ko siya, nakangiti ako nang sobrang sarkastiko.

"Cute." He chuckled and pinched my cheek softly before helping me find the doll.

Napakurap ako hanggang sa tumigil ako sa pagkurap at napatitig lang sa likod niya, tulala. Naririnig ko siyang tumatawa nang mahina. Sinulyapan niya ako saglit bago ngumiti.

I cleared my throat and forced myself to search through the other shelfs para mas mapabilis. The beat of my heart was fast. Halos wala akong maintindihan.

"Huy," pag-agaw niya sa attention ko.

"Yes?" I looked at him.

"Dito iyong manika." Tinuro niya iyong shelf sa tapat niya, nagpipigil ng tawa.

Napasulyap ako sa shelf na hinahalughog ko. It was full of toy's for boys, like trucks and guns. "Ah, she likes this!" parang tanga na sabi ko at dinampot pa ang isang baril. Nakita kong naglaro ang mangha sa mga mata niya.

"Sure, bub." Marco let out a chuckle.

Nahulog sa kamay ko ang hawak. I cursed softly and quickly knelt to pick the toy up, the same time Marco bent to get it. He groaned when our forehead hit each other when we got up! What the hell!

"Ba't ka ba nagmamadaling gumalaw?" Hinilot niya ang noo niya, nakangiwi.

"Adrenaline! I drank lots of coffee today!" pagpapalusot ko at tumawa nang peke bago tumalikod para maghanap ng laruan. My heart was running marathons. Lalo na dahil tumawa itong lalake sa likod ko!

We paid the bill after I bought the toys for Kie. Dumaan muna kami sa isang stall in the middle of the mall to buy refreshments. I bought a mango sunset milktea, while he got the Oreo one. Nagpatuloy rin kami kaagad sa pag-shopping. This time, clothes and jewelry naman.

"Does she like hearts?" Marco was looking at some neckaces.

"Who?" Hindi ko alam sino'ng tinutukoy niya.

"Baby mo. What's her name?"

"Aqeila. Kie," I replied, smiling a little. "Yes, she loves hearts. Why?"

Tumango lang siya, hindi sumagot. He talked to the sales lady about the necklace he was looking at. Nag-abang ako sa labas, sumisimsim sa milktea ko habang pinapanuod ang mga taong dumadaan sa tapat ko.

At least, Marco knows her name now... right?

"Bigay mo ito, baby." Marco gave me a small paper bag when he stood beside me.

My brows raised in utter surprise and I paused from sipping on my milktea. What... What did he just call me?!

"Bigay mo 'to kay baby Kie," he rephrased, biting the tip of his straw to prevent his laugh.

"Sa kaniya pala iyong necklace na binili mo?" I asked when I recovered, accepting the bag.

"Hindi, iyong paper bag lang," pambabara niya.

Tuwang-tuwa si Kie pagkauwi ko at lalo naman siyang sumaya noong binigay ko sa kaniya ang bracelet.

"That's from your dada," I told her in careful tone, finding a reaction. Her eyes sparkled and she looked at the gold necklace with a small heart pendant.

"Really, Momma? You saw my dada?" Naupo siya sa tapat ko, curious.

"Yes, I did. Earlier." I ruffled her hair.

She nodded. "When will I see him?"

My shoulders fell and I said, "Soon..." Knowing fully I was lying.

The next day, I went to the court with Cali. We were almost near the end. We were winning. Fred was so mad at me. He was even throwing me glares whenever I'd contradict by saying "I object." It was nothing new to me, and I just focused on listening to his loopholes.

Pagabi na noong naghiwalay kami ni Cali. I suddenly remembered Ares and there and then I decided to visit him in jail. I asked Cali kung saang kulungan. Sinabi naman niya.

"You came all the way to visit me. I'm touched." Iyon ang bungad ni Mikolai. Nakaupo siya nang kaunti sa lamesa habang nagpupunas ng baril niya. Oh my gosh! Siya na naman!

"I'm not here for you," I downright declined. "I'm here to visit a kakilala."

"Can't do, Prosecutor Marquez. It's pass visiting hours." Tinuro niya ang wall clock. "You can come back tomorrow."

"Just ten minutes, Miko," I negotiated firmly.

He tilted his head to the side, smiling with amusement. "Where did the 'chief' go, huh?" he asked in a teasing tone.

To get what I want, I didn't laugh and just retained a pokerface to make him give in.

"Dinner," he blurted out. Due to confusion, I raised one brow at him. "Have dinner with me in exchange," he made his sentence clear.

"Are you seriously taking advantage of the situation?"

"Who is it you want to see?" pagbaliwala niya sa tanong ko sabay tawag sa isang officer.

"Ares Saldova," I told him the name.

Tiningnan lang niya ng isang beses ang officer pero naintindihan na siya kaagad nito. His aura screamed authority, especially in his uniform that hugged his arms perfectly. Bagay pa sa kaniya iyon.

Wait, did I just compliment this asshole in my mind?!

"Zychela—can I call you Zychela?" Lai smirked, putting his gun back on the bandoleer attached to his pants as he stood up. "So, Zychela, I'll give you thirty minutes with Saldova. Have dinner with me in exchange."

"Thirty minutes lang din ako makikipagdinner sa 'yo," masungit kong sambit bago nagtungo sa visiting room bago pa siya makapagsabi ng kung ano. Inuutakan ako! Kung hindi lang ako pagod, inutakan ko na rin siya!

Pinagsaklop ko ang mga kamay sa itaas ng lamesa habang hinihintay si Ares. Litong-lito talaga ako kung bakit siya humantong sa ganito. Ayaw pa siyang tulungan ni Marco. Mas naguluhan ako.

"Ate." Ares' eyes were filled with shock when he entered the room. Nakaposas pa ang palapulsuhan niya.

"Orange suits you," I opened the conversation with a joke.

Ares chuckled a little. "Sabi nga nila," pagsasakay niya ngunit kita ko ang pagtataka sa mga mata niya.

Hindi ko alam paano magsimula. Should I ask him how was he or just downright jump to my point, to my questions? In the end, I decided to skip the commercials and chose the latter.

"What's your case? And why did you do it?" I asked him two questions in a row.

"Theft," he replied, looking down.

"Why did you do it?" I asked once more because he didn't answer.

Ngumiti siya nang mapait. "Kailangan, eh. Alam mo naman siguro iyong tungkol sa mga kapatid namin na kukunin ng tatay namin noong nagkasakit si Leil."

"Yes, I know..." Bigla akong nahirapan magsalita.

"Hindi ko alam kung ano'ng nangyari sa inyo ni Kuya pero noong iniwan mo siya... biglang gumulo ang buhay niya. Hindi niya man lang matulungan si Mama sa kaso laban kay Papa. Wala na raw siyang maisip na paraan at gusto raw muna niya magpahinga. Pero hindi pwedeng magpahinga noon dahil may oras na hinahabol. We needed money for the case. Ang laki ng perang hinihingi ng tatay namin para hindi niya kuhanin ang full custody ng mga kapatid ko..."

Napapikit ako, unti-unting nagbubuo ng conclusion sa isipan ko.

"I'm sure you know what comes next. Pero sinigurado kong wala akong masasaktan. I didn't sneak inside the house. I was invited." Ares sounded so cold as he said more information.

Huminga ako nang malalim bago nagmulat ng mga mata. "You didn't sneak in. You were invited. You didn't hurt anybody." Tumayo ako para makahinga nang maayos. Nagpamewang ako. "Sinadya mong theft at hindi robbery para may lusot ano?"

"Yes."

I gave him a bitter smile. "You know, Ares, ang talino mo, pero ginamit mo ang talino mo para sa masama."

"I know... I know it was wrong. But I don't regret it because in the end, nabalik sa amin ang kapatid namin bago nila ako nahuli."

Suddenly, I felt my chest tightened. A part of me sunk in guilt. If only I stayed before, even for a short time, Marco wouldn't lose himself and lose hope. He would've been able to think properly, and Ares wouldn't resort to doing this.

"I can bail you," I decided, taking a gulp.

Umiling siya. "Masyadong malaki ang piyansa. Hindi kita kayang bayaran."

"Who says you're going to pay me back if I bail you out?" I raised a brow. "If it comes to worse, I can't represent you in court because I'm a prosecutor. I defend the innocent, not the accused. But my brother's a criminal lawyer and he can represent you."

Ares was just staring at me with no emotions. "Why are you helping me?" He searched for answers in my face, tapping his fingers on the table.

"Everybody deserves a second chance."

"Kayo rin ni Kuya, kung ganoon?" Nasingit niyang mang-asar kaya tinuro ko siya, inis. He laughed for a brief moment. "Second chance nga ba o guilty ka lang sa pag-iwan mo kay Kuya at gagawin mo ang lahat?"

"That's not it..." I swallowed. I removed the clip on my hair because my head was suddenly hurting in pressure.

"Then, tell me I'm wrong," hamon niya.

"I can bail you out right now, alright. But here's the thing, Ares..." I leaned my hands on the table, disregarding his challenge. "Ayaw ng kuya mo."

"Oo," seryosong sagot niya.

"Bakit ayaw niya?" Hindi niya ako sinagot. "Bakit ayaw niya?" mas mataman na ulit ko.

"Kasi si Kuya Echo ang ninakawan ko," pag-amin niya sabay pikit.

My lips parted in shock. I left when I felt speechless. I saw Mikolai leaning on the wall. When he glanced my way, I showed him my palm while continuing to walk.

"Tomorrow," maikling sabi ko at tuluyang lumabas.

Naramdaman ko ang presensya niya sa likuran ko. Nilingon ko siya pagkabukas ko ng pinto ng sasakyan. He immediately raised his hands up in defense.

"I'm just going to ask if you're okay," he said in a soft tone, taking me aback.

"Yes, I'm fine... I'll give you the dinner you want tomorrow." I gave him a small smile.

Umiling siya, nakangiti rin. "I was just kidding about that. You just seem like you needed a joke or two earlier when you entered the place," pagpapaliwanag niya.

Mas nagulat ako roon. Hindi na ako nakapag-savor ng mangha ko noong tinawagan ako ni Dad at sinabing nasa hospital si Kie dahil tumalon daw sa higaan at mukhang nabalian!

Ang bilis ko mag-drive. Over take ako nang over take. Wala na akong pakialam sa mga tao.

"Aqeila. Aqeila Marquez. Is she here?!" Nagmamadali akong nagtanong kahit na hindi pa ako nakalapit sa counter.

The nurse looked at her clipboard. "Nasa emergency room-" Naglakad ako roon, hindi na siya hinihintay matapos dahil ang bagal niyang magsalita.

"Are you okay? Is something hurting you? Why did you jump on the bed? You scared me! Don't do that again, Aqeila!" dire-diretso ang pagsalita ko sa kaniya.

"Momma! You're here!" Kie hugged me.

"Are you good, mahal?" I cupped her face to see if she had some injuries there but none. She had a bandage on her arm, though. She nodded on my chest. Para akong nabunutan ng tinik.

"Lali, I'm sorry! I was making her milk when it happened! I'm sorry!" Guilty si Dad.

"You should be!" I told him jokingly before kissing Kie's head.

Iniwan ko muna sila saglit para asikasuhin ang mga bayarin. Pagkabalik ko, halos manigas ako. Napahawak ako sa kurtina para hindi matumba dahil naroon si Marco, nakaupo at nakikipag-usap kay Kie habang nakangiti nang kalmado. Kie's eyes gleamed with happiness and excitement when her Dad gave her a gummy lollipop.

Nasaan na naman itong si Dad?!

"Don't jump out of the bed next time. You can hurt yourself even more. You should be extra careful," paalala ni Marco.

"But the monkey jumped on the bed! He was safe!" Kie fought back, giggling.

Marquenzo chuckled and pinched her cheek. "He wasn't safe, sweetheart," he gently said.

Kie pouted, nodding as she tried to open the gummy lollipop. Nahirapan siya dahil mukhang mahigpit ang wrapper ng lollipop.

"Open, please," hiling niya kay Marco. Mabilis siyang pinagbigyan ni Maki.

"Here you go, love." He gave Kie the gummy lollipop and took her small hand and played with it. "I like your necklace."

"Momma said you gave it to me!" Kie smiled widely. Maki nodded with a smile and he renew her ponytail since some of her hair escaped from it.

"Yes, I did. Do you like it?"

"I love it! Thank you, Dada!" She hugged his arm and giggled, scrunching her nose while licking the lollipop.

I gasped harshly when I heard what she called him. What the hell?! Nakilala niya! Marco looked towards my direction. From gentle eyes, it suddenly turned serious and angry with a hint of confusion and betrayal. His jaw clenched before he licked his lips a little.

"Momma! Dada came to visit me!" Kie pointed at Marco with a huge smile plastered on her lips.

"Yes, anak. Your dada is a doctor, too." Hindi ko alam kung may sense iyong palusot ko. Hindi ko man lang siya madaluhan dahil nanginginig na ako sa kaba. Bakit siya nandito?!

"No, Momma! Dada! I know! Picture!" pamimilit niya at biglang tinuro ang kamay ni Marco. "Show Momma, please!"

Marquenzo stared at me for a long time before showing me the polaroid he was holding in between his fingers. Oh my gosh! It was our polaroid! Why did Kie have proof with her?!

"Mag-uusap tayo," seryosong sabi ni Marco sa akin.

"Wala tayong pag-uusapan. Hindi ko alam kung paano niya nakuha iyan." Tinalikuran ko siya at pupunta sana kay Kie pero hinapit niya ang braso ko at marahas na hinila pabalik.

"We will talk," he said, even firmer this time.

"We have nothing to talk about." I equalled his tone. "Ano ba. Let me go... Nasasaktan mo ako," makatotohanang sabi ko. He eyed me angrily before letting go of my arm.

"Lali-" Dad halted and was immediately stunned to see me and Marco in front of each other.

"I'll be back, Dad. Take care of Kie." I quickly left but I realized it was a wrong choice to do because Marquenzo followed me.

Hinabol niya ako. Bumilis ang lakad ko. Ginaya niya ako. I was escaping him right now for so many reasons. And a part of me was still not ready to tell him everything. I knew I need to explain. From the start. Where it all began... but my mind felt blank with every new information I received.

Dumiretso ako sa elevator. Walang tao. I was about to close it but Marco put his hand in between and pushed it open harshly. It made a thud. He looked so mad at me. Walang bakas ng pagbibiro sa mukha niya.

I expected him to lash out, but he leaned beside me as we watched the lights on the buttons change. His chest was even heaving up and down as his anger doubled. Huminga siya nang malalim. He did it repeatedly. Pinilit ko naman maging kalmado, hindi alam ang gagawin.

"Kailan mo balak sabihin sa akin na may anak tayo?" mahinahon ngunit mariin niyang tanong sa akin.

"She's not yours..." I pressed another floor level, the nearest one so I can get out immediately. Lalabas sana ako nang bumukas na pero hinila niya ako pabalik. "Stop pulling me back! You are hurting my arm!" I shouted, wincing in pain.

"Hindi 'to ang oras para takasan mo ako," he said through gritted teeth. May pinindot siya sa elevator kaya sumara ito ulit. Galit ko siyang tiningnan nang humarang pa siya sa mga buttones para wala akong magawa.

"Move," I ordered.

"No," he seriously responded.

I tried to push him but he stopped me by the hand.

"Ba't mo ba ako tinatakasan?" Kumunot ang noo niya.

"I am not, okay?! I have something important to do!"

"Something more important than talking about our daughter?" he spatted furiously.

"She's not yours!"

"Wala ka ibang ginawa kung hindi magsinungaling sa akin." His humorous smirk was drowned by his seriousness.

"I am not lying to you," I denied calmly.

"Iyan." He pointed at me and laughed without humor. "Iyan. Nagsisinungaling ka na naman. Tumatanggi ka na naman. Tumatakas ka na naman. Aalis ka na naman." Mas lalo lang lumala ang galit na nararamdaman niya. Kinuyom niya ang mga kamao niya para kumalma.

"Let me leave. We have nothing to talk about," I said shakily, taking a gulp.

Tangina. Mas pinahirap ko lang ang sitwasyon. I just... can't take it all in right now. Bumibigat na naman ang pakiramdam ko. Guilt and anger was creeping my system.

"Kahit kailan... sinungaling ka talaga 'no? Hindi ka nagbago."

I exhaled a large amount of breath before looking up, hindi makapaniwalang sinabi niya 'yon. Tama naman siya pero na marinig iyon mismo sa bibig niya ay masakit.

"Gaano ba kahirap para sa 'yo magsabi ng totoo?" He heaved a deep breath before looking at me. The light of the elevator gleamed in his eyes. I saw the tears in kt as he waited for my answer.

Malakas ko siyang tinulak para hindi niya makita ang nagbabadyang luha ko. Napaatras siya kaya kinuha ko ang pagkakataon na iyon para pindutin ang button. Madrama akong napasinghap nang hinapit niya ang baywang ko nang marahas, pinindot ulit iyong button para patuloy kami sa pagakyat, at sinandal ako sa dingding. It all happened so fast I couldn't react.

"We will talk, and I'm not giving you a fucking choice until you tell me the truth." He looked at me with pain and anger.

"I have no truth to tell you," panininindigan ko, abot langit ang tibok ng puso. Why can't I just be real for once?

"You disappoint me. You're always... such a liar," dahan-dahan ngunit mariin niyang sabi.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86.7K 1.7K 82
--Vampire Diaries Fanfiction-- We're all born and one day we all die. But the world isn't that simple. We all know the stories our parents told us be...
55.5K 1.5K 19
she never settles, but she can lock it down. © BUECKEERS 2024
41.9K 472 51
Chen Boyan, top-notch in the entertainment industry, excellent in singing and dancing, and excellent acting skills. A pair of gentle and alienate...
44.6K 860 13
Maya Bishop remembers being iced out by her team, she remembers being on the verge of breaking down every shift as the new captain of 19, and she mos...