𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐔𝐋𝐄𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐑𝐄𝐈...

By sadgirlzera

Book 1: The Rules of Diana Book 2: The Rules of Reid Reid Maxwell has lived in Italy for 10 years, studying... More

Welcome
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Six
Epilogue
Book Three: The Rules of Selina

Twenty Five

2.3K 63 7
By sadgirlzera

"Happy Birthday!" Diana looked up from her laptop, connecting eyes with her mother, Annabel who knocked on her office door. She gasped, pulling the older woman for a hug and releasing a much-needed sigh. "Mom, what are you doing here?"

"It's your birthday Diana, I had to fly down. I can't believe my baby is 29. It seems like just yesterday you were born,"

The blonde smiled, opening her mini fridge.

"So how are you celebrating?" Annabel asked, accepting the bottle of water from her daughter as the pair sat down on the couch. Diana scrunched her nose up, looking around her office and shrugging. "None of my friends have reached out and Reid is busy with work. My assistant, Cindy has offered to take me for dinner but I don't know,"

"That's it? I mean that sounds a bit boring, don't you think,"

"It is a work day, Mom and I have been feeling a little sick the last few days—," She stopped mid-sentence running towards the trash can and throwing up last night's dinner. Annabel simply nodded to herself, a sense of excitement flashing through her orbs.

Diana felt a blush cover her cheeks while she grabbed a napkin and cleaned her lips. "I'm sorry, I don't know what's wrong with me. I'll call the Janitor to empty the trash before it starts to smell,"

The Defense Attorney smiled awkwardly, picking up her phone and dialing a number. "Hey Marcus, it's Diana. Would you mind emptying the trash from my office? I spilled a strawberry smoothie... Thank you," She ended the phone call and ran her hands through her hair. She grabbed mints from her bag and threw them into her mouth to clear her breath.

"How far along are you?"

"About an hour. I mean I only just got to the office so I haven't really looked through the files thoroughly—,"

"I'm not talking about work. I'm talking about your pregnancy," Annabel asked, standing up from the couch and walking over to her desk.

"Pregnancy? You think I'm pregnant?" She asked before her eyes widened and she froze. "I mean I have been feeling the dizziness, the panic attacks, the morning sickness," Diana felt her nerves begin to dance. If she was truly pregnant, that would be the best birthday gift in the world.

"Honey, how did you not know?" The mother asked as her eyes narrowed, highlighting her wrinkles. "With Kenneth's death, the DA inauguration next month, and everyone breathing down my neck, I've just been so busy. I-,"

"Is this what you and Reid want?"

"Of course but I just wish he would call me," She sighed and Annabel moved a strand of hair out of her daughter's face. The Janitor walked into Diana's office, emptying the trash while he waved at the blonde. She granted him a small smile, waiting for him to leave.

"Alright, Miss Diana. All clear,"

"Thanks, Marcus," She said, and he shut the door on his way out.

"I will head back to the store and get some pregnancy tests. You stay here. I'll only be gone for 10 minutes," Annabel assured.

"Okay," Diana said, watching as her mother walked out of her office. She pressed Reid's number, furrowing her eyebrows as it declined once again. The time was 2:19 and she hadn't seen him today. He was gone by the time she woke up and he wasn't responding to her calls.

"The person you are trying to contact is not available. Leave a message at the tone,"

"Reid Maxwell. I don't know what crawled up your ass this morning but answer the damn phone. I'm so sick of hearing nothing from you today, the least you could do is send me a text about why you're busy. But, you can't even share with me the decency of doing that. Especially on my—," She stopped herself, pinching the bridge of her nose. "You know what, I don't even care anymore,"

Diana ended the call, pouring herself a glass of orange juice from the container. Her phone rang and she looked at the text message on the screen.

Hey baby, meetings all day today. I'll call when I'm free.

She rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to her laptop. When Annabel returned, the two ladies walked through the office, smiling at the other Attorneys before entering the bathroom. Diana entered a stall, soon peeing on the three sticks and walking out. She grabbed a napkin, placed the pregnancy tests on it, and washed her hands.

The blonde chewed on her bottom lip nervously and millions of emotions traveled through her mind. Her heart was beating rapidly against her ribcage because her dreams could become her reality.

Annabel squeezed her shoulder and offered a gentle smile. "If it comes back positive, I promise I will be with you every step of the way,"

"Thanks, Mom," Diana verbalized and checked her watch. The three minutes were up and it was time to get their answer. She peered at the tests, her eyes moving between the three of them. 

"What do they say?"

"They're all positive,"

"Hey birthday girl, are you ready?" Cindy asked as Diana walked out of the empty manor. It was around 7:20 and not one of her friends had wished her a happy birthday but she didn't care. She had just received the best news of her life and it was time to celebrate.

She smiled and walked to the small car that's as parked on the arch driveway. Cindy wore an orange dress with clear heels and tied her hair into a ponytail.

The Kingsley was wearing a Versace gown with designer heels and Cartier bracelets. She straightened her hair and did a natural look for her makeup. Even though everyone seemed to forget about her birthday, it didn't mean that she couldn't look her best while having fun.

She texted a picture of the dress to Reid, making sure to get the outline of her curves. "Going out. Will be back soon. Don't bother calling," She whispered, her thumbs typing.

"You look so good. Like you slayed today," Cindy said, once they sat in the car and started their drive.

"Just trying to keep up with you," Diana promised, earning a chuckle from the woman. "Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise,"

When they arrived at the restaurant, they parked the car in front and handed the keys to the valet worker.

Sakura Sushi was one of the most popular restaurants in New York. Diana was shocked that Cindy brought her here and was even more shocked to see it practically empty. The restaurant had purple LED lighting along the walls that matched the large purple tree in the middle of the restaurant. Hundreds of paintings were on the walls, each telling a different story about a Japanese warrior.

The staff all stood in the restaurant with their hands behind their backs. "Welcome To Sakura Sushi,"

"Thank you," Cindy said. Diana pulled her assistant to the side and whispered in her ear, "This place must be losing their customers—,"

"Surprise!" About 50 hundred people suddenly appeared from nowhere, all with smiles on their faces. Confetti and golden flakes dropped from the ceiling and the banners on the wall untied. Annabel, Jasmine, Lucas, Riley, Dexter, Tiffany, and Kehlani all stood in the front, recording.

She placed a hand on her head, a smile creeping onto her face. Before she could even process what happened, there was the sound of an AMG Engine and she turned around. A Mercedes Benz GT Convertible parked in front of the restaurant and her lips parted.

Her feet led her to the front of the restaurant where she watched the Valet worker open the door. Expensive shoes hit the pavement before Reid pulled himself out of the car, buttoning his Versace tuxedo. He wore his signature gelled back hairstyle while black glasses sat on the bridge of his nose. Armani cologne clung to his body and his Rolex matched his bow tie which was full of diamond stones, bringing his entire outfit to a cost of $55,000. He sent her one of his million-dollar smirks, and she felt frozen in her place.

"Happy Birthday, baby," He said, making his way over to her. Her eyebrows furrowed together innocently. "I thought you forgot,"

"How could I forget about my favorite girl?" He asked, kissing her lips passionately. When they broke apart, he turned around and gestured to the expensive car in front of them. "She's all yours, Blondie,"

"You—This is mine?" She asked, and he chuckled at her flustered state. He handed her the keys and watched as she jumped into his arms, pecking his lips softly. "Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love you so much,"

"All right, don't forget about us. Happy Birthday, bitch!" Jasmine said, pulling Diana for a hug with Tiffany and Riley behind her. "You guys, I thought you all forgot about me,"

"Oh please, we were counting down the days to your birthday before you were. Do you like it? This was all Reid's idea, all of it. He flew all of us into here and paid for our tickets and our hotels. Cindy was to make sure that you got out of the office, dressed, and here by 7:45,"

"Mr. Maxwell bought the entire restaurant for the night," The receptionist said, the staff clapping for him, enthusiastically. "That man is very rich!"

"Indeed he is," Lucas said, placing his hand on Reid's shoulder. "So mate, I need you to pay for my car loan, my mortgage, my $62,000 debt—,"

"Fuck off, lad. You're on your own," The Maxwell mumbled in a British accent, mocking his friend. Lucas shook his head and looked at Diana. "Please, he'll listen to you,"

"Let's get some pictures of you by the car," Riley said, completely ignoring him. Diana agreed, sitting on the hood of the car, and playing with her hair. "Damn, look at that baddie with the fat ass and the foreign!" Jasmine yelled, earning a few glares from the people who drove past them.

They shared chuckles before heading inside, starting the party off with drinks and music.

"Mom, you knew all about this and you didn't say anything?" Diana asked Annabel who shrugged. "I didn't want to ruin the surprise. Now look at the gift table,"

In front of her was a large table full of gifts and bags.

"And this is Reid's gift table,"

There was a table full of only designer gifts, some of the clothes basically falling out of the bags. "How could one man buy me more gifts than 50 people?" She whispered to her mother. "This man spoils you so much,"

Diana bit her lip. She was incredibly grateful for a boyfriend like him, he treated her like the only princess in the world. Even if he wasn't rich, she would still love him because the money didn't steal her heart. Reid did.

"Birthday girl, come sing," Dexter said, grabbing their attention. She turned around, her eyes trained on Kehlani who stood on the stage next to him. She gestured for Diana to come while Ariana Grande's break up with your girlfriend played.

"Are you sure?"

"Does anyone want to hear Diana sing?" Kehlani asked and the entire party cheered her name. She only rolled her eyes and stepped onto the stage. "I hate you guys,"

"Break a leg," Dexter said before they walked off.

"I mean I really shouldn't—You got me some type of way," She sang earning whistles from the crowd while making her way over to Reid.

When the birthday girl stood in front of him, she watched as he leaned back, thrusting his hips up slightly and adjusting himself.

"Ain't used to feelin' this way. I do not know what to say but I know I shouldn't think about it. Took one fuckin' look at your face. Now I wanna know how you taste. Usually don't give it away but you know I'm out here thinkin' 'bout it," She straddled his lap, grinding her hips playfully. Tiffany, Riley, and Jasmine all called her name, cheering her one.

"Damn," Kehlani said.

"Then I realize she's right there and I'm at home like, "Damn, this ain't fair. Break up with your girlfriend. Yeah, yeah, 'cause I'm bored. You could hit it in the mornin'. Yeah, yeah, like it's yours,"

"It is mine," Reid mumbled over the music, his hands wrapping around her waist. She grabbed his wrist and moved it away from him. He released a groan, suddenly feeling pressure under his belt. Once again, Diana was making him hard.

"I know it ain't right but I don't care. Break up with your girlfriend. Yeah, yeah, 'cause I'm bored,"

The guests cheered for Diana, and she blushed, sending them kisses. The night consisted of more karaoke with plenty of meals made by the kitchen staff. The guests were dancing to popular music and taking full advantage of the free bar.

At midnight, they said goodbyes to their friends. Most of them were leaving early tomorrow morning so this was goodbye for a while. The party was bittersweet, she got to see her best friends but that meant they had to leave again.

"I figured we should be by ourselves for the rest of the night," Reid said, wrapping his arm around her waist and kissing her cheek. Together, they walked back into the restaurant and thanked the staff for an exceptional party.

When they were alone again, she turned her attention to the gifts in front of her. "You are the best boyfriend anyone could ask for. I mean you did all of this just for me. I don't know how I'll ever begin to pay you back. This must have cost a fortune—,"

"Diana," She heard from behind her, but she innocently continued. "I'll have to get like 3 jobs just to even pay you half of all of this but I'll find a way,"

"Diana,"

"Especially with me stepping down from the DA position, I'll have more time," She sighed, running her hands through her blonde hair before turning around. When she spotted Reid on one knee with a velvet box in his hand, her eyes widened.

"Oh my god," She covered her eyes with her hands, trying to block the tears that fell down her face.

The Maxwell chuckled, swiping his tongue across his bottom lip. "Diana Rae Kingsley—The Queen of Golden Skies Academy. When I first met you, I thought you were the biggest brat but now, I can't fathom the idea of living without you. Even though you drive me crazy, I am happiest when I am with you. These past 10 years have been torture and I'll be fucking damned if I let you go again. Your mother has already given me her blessing so the only answer I need is from you.

Baby, will you marry me?"

"Yes! A million times yes!" She said, wiping her tears away while she tried to control her breathing again. Reid released a much-needed sigh and uttered, "Thank fuck,"

It was only then, that her eyes moved down to the ring that was in the velvet box and she nearly had a heart attack. It was the most beautiful ring she had ever seen in her entire life, and she wondered how much it had cost.

He slid it onto her ring finger and it was a perfect fit, unlike her last engagement ring.

"It's beautiful, Reid," Diana gushed, pecking his lips. She extended her hand, looking at the expensive rock.

"I'm a fiancé,"

"You're the prettiest fiancé, blondie," He assured her. Diana smiled and she realized this would be a perfect time to tell him about her pregnancy. "You want to know something?"

"Hmm?" He asked, his attention only focused on her.

"I'm pregnant," The blonde whispered. "That's why I didn't eat any of the sushi,"

Reid's lips parted, and his eyes widened. It felt like the oxygen had been knocked out of his lungs. "We're having a baby?" He whispered, with a gentle voice.

"Yes, we're having a baby," She said before the biggest smile appeared on his face and he leaned back. "You're having my child! Is it in there?"

Diana felt his hand on her stomach. "I think I can feel its heartbeat," He whispered, excitement laced in his voice.

"That's the sprite I had," Diana assured, before pecking his cheek. She wrapped her hands around his neck, staring at the man she was in love with. "We did it,"

"We did it," He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her with affection and love.

Reid Maxwell and Diana Kingsley were magnetic. No matter how many lives they lived, they were always going to find one another. They had promised themselves to each other for the rest of their days together. They didn't know what problems the future held but they would always be next to each other.

Their forever started the very night they met 10 years ago.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6M 142K 48
BOOK ONE OF THE ELITE SERIES. After being expelled for the third time, this time for breaking a misogynistic teacher's bones, the secret billionaire...
2.2M 78.6K 58
Twenty-one and ready to take on the world, orphan Lizzie Gold didn't expect her chance encounter with a stranger to lead to a damnable task - to take...
506K 13.6K 37
"Get away from me."I took her soft hands from my chest and pinned them on the wall.I closed the gap between us but our lips didn't meet.She looked in...
5K 522 36
The one who has eyes on her. The one who is hiding from him. The one who needs her. The one who lusts her. The one who cares for him. The one who pro...